PDA

View Full Version : Billy gilmour

theonlywayisup
18-06-2021, 11:38 PM
What a fantastic prospect he looks? Tonight was my first real look at him and he was brilliant.

As Souness said, England needed a Billy Gilmour.

Loved the Montrose FC Twitter comment, which was:

"‘Hullo? Is that the Yorkshire Pirlo? Aye, this is the Ardrossan Ardilles.

That’s yer dinner oan the table son’

*click* "

Scooter
19-06-2021, 07:03 AM
Unbelievably talented footballer. Scotland should be ok in midfield for the next few years with McGinn McTominay and Gilmour. Then add Turnbull who I think could also be class.

theonlywayisup
19-06-2021, 07:14 AM
Unbelievably talented footballer. Scotland should be ok in midfield for the next few years with McGinn McTominay and Gilmour. Then add Turnbull who I think could also be class.

Agree, just need to find a goal scoring striker to put away the chances.

calumhibee1
19-06-2021, 07:22 AM
He’s an incredibly good player.

Glad he got his chance and took it.

ronaldo7
19-06-2021, 07:23 AM
His decision making is fantastic, rarely loses the ball once he has it. Kept the midfield ticking over with MacGregor. His battle against Mount looked lost in the first 10 minutes, but he grew into the game, and controlled parts when we kept the ball. Great wee player.

Aldo
19-06-2021, 08:22 AM
I though the first 15 passed him by but once he got into his stride I thought he was superb!

Credit to Callum MacGregor this morning as I thought he was the perfect foil for BG and was there to support him throughout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
19-06-2021, 08:34 AM
I though the first 15 passed him by but once he got into his stride I thought he was superb!

Credit to Callum MacGregor this morning as I thought he was the perfect foil for BG and was there to support him throughout!

I think Gilmour also benefited from McGinn knocking **** out of Calvin Phillips early on. Him and Declan Rice looked bullied in the centre. I also can’t remember any of our midfielders miscontrolling simple passes so we retained the ball really well.

Aldo
19-06-2021, 08:41 AM
I think Gilmour also benefited from McGinn knocking **** out of Calvin Phillips early on. Him and Declan Rice looked bullied in the centre. I also can’t remember any of our midfielders miscontrolling simple passes so we retained the ball really well.

Agreed. They hype surrounding Phillips and co has come back to haunt them this morning.

I have not hope we find or scoring boots for Croatia

Pretty Boy
19-06-2021, 08:49 AM
I thought our midfield 3 were all outstanding.

I gave McGinn grief in the Czech game but he was superb last night. He bullied their midfield, unsettled them, nipped at them and was decent on the ball as well. McGreggor has had plenty criticism in a Scotland top, and a Celtic one the season just past, but he worked his socks off last night, protected the ball and moved it well. Add to that Stuart Armstrong gave us real drive and energy when he came on, easier said than done after he seemed to freeze on Monday.

Gilmour is a cut above though. Once he settled into the game he just glided about, was so comfortable on the ball and is always, always available. He's small but he's strong as well, he was regularly bullying the much hyped Mount.

I just hope people continue to appreciate the importance of keeping the ball at times. That's what he is really good at, if a 5 yard pass is on he will use it until something else presents itself. We have seen it before with Scotland and players like McStay, McCallister and Ferguson criticised for 'only passing it sideways'. Gilmour looks like he could well be a level above them but familiarity can breed contempt with football fans. Let's hope we are still as delighted by Gilmour after 50 games as we are after one.

Since452
19-06-2021, 08:52 AM
I think McGinn deserves massive credit too. I worried for him when he got that early yellow but he was outstanding after. Kept his head.

Crunchie
19-06-2021, 09:25 AM
What a fantastic prospect he looks? Tonight was my first real look at him and he was brilliant.

As Souness said, England needed a Billy Gilmour.

Loved the Montrose FC Twitter comment, which was:

"‘Hullo? Is that the Yorkshire Pirlo? Aye, this is the Ardrossan Ardilles.

That’s yer dinner oan the table son’

*click* "
I'd never even heard of him until the clamour for him to get on against the Czechs, now I see what the fuss was all about. Great prospect, I hope he fulfils his potential and goes on to be a superstar.

CMurdoch
19-06-2021, 09:26 AM
Agreed. They hype surrounding Phillips and co has come back to haunt them this morning.

I have not hope we find or scoring boots for Croatia

Gilmour could equally become a victim of that self same hype.

The_Exile
19-06-2021, 09:35 AM
Even if we get pumped out the competition on Tuesday night, this is the first time in god knows how long that I feel genuinely excited that we’ve got a really good team now. Feels like the beginning of a journey for this lot, regardless of the result on Tuesday night.

Aldo
19-06-2021, 09:37 AM
Gilmour could equally become a victim of that self same hype.

He could indeed but let’s face it Sky Sports, BBC England and ITV have pumped the England are superb propaganda for weeks but were brought crashing back to earth!

eastterrace
19-06-2021, 09:43 AM
Thought billy was superb last night but I must mention Kieran tierney thought he was brilliant. We do look a decent side but just need a goal scorer to top it off.

CMurdoch
19-06-2021, 09:51 AM
He could indeed but let’s face it Sky Sports, BBC England and ITV have pumped the England are superb propaganda for weeks but were brought crashing back to earth!

That's what the media do.
The competition doesn't start for England and the other big teams until after the group stage.
Scotland have good players but all had too play at their limit to get a draw. They had a tiger by the tail last night but held their nerve until the final whistle.

Zambernardi1875
19-06-2021, 10:15 AM
Mind people on here thought he shouldn’t of even been in the squad

The Spaceman
19-06-2021, 10:24 AM
As excited as I’ve ever been about a Scotland player. He looks sensational and absolutely strolled it against one of the strongest midfielders on the planet. He outshone Phil Foden on a stage that Foden will have been desperate to perform on. Incredible talent.

blackpoolhibs
19-06-2021, 10:34 AM
Mind people on here thought he shouldn’t of even been in the squad

No?

WhileTheChief..
19-06-2021, 10:56 AM
Cracking vid here showing him breaking through to the Chelsea first team...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0hR9E1z3co

theonlywayisup
19-06-2021, 11:12 AM

England do have some exceptional talent, who do amazing things week in, week out in allegedly the best league in the world.

However, the clamour is always to pick the best players, rather than build the best team. They are always putting too much faith on the next best thing, before that individual has matured. Deli Ali is a good example of such a player, who was picked far too soon for England. The talent that England have is mind-blowing when you think of Foden, Watkins, Greenwood, Sancho, Saka, Bellingham etc. However, they never seem to get a manager that can build a great team.

It was the same with the golden generation of Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham etc. A conveyor belt of great midfielders, but their manager didn't seem to know how to build a midfield good enough to compete against the best.

Andy74
19-06-2021, 11:42 AM
No?

I’d certainly questioned whether him and Patterson too should be in Scotland squads when they’ve hardly played any senior football.

He got a bit more game time towards the end of the season which I think helped.

He might have a decision to make though because starting a handful of games for your club and starting for your country isn’t sustainable.

Hopefully either Chelsea begin to play him more often or he gets a good loan. He still needs tested week in and week out, when things aren’t going so well etc to really become the world class player he should become.

blackpoolhibs
19-06-2021, 12:23 PM
I’d certainly questioned whether him and Patterson too should be in Scotland squads when they’ve hardly played any senior football.

He got a bit more game time towards the end of the season which I think helped.

He might have a decision to make though because starting a handful of games for your club and starting for your country isn’t sustainable.

Hopefully either Chelsea begin to play him more often or he gets a good loan. He still needs tested week in and week out, when things aren’t going so well etc to really become the world class player he should become.

I thought you said he did not deserve to be in the starting line up, not the squad?

Dr What If?
19-06-2021, 01:06 PM
Thought billy was superb last night but I must mention Kieran tierney thought he was brilliant. We do look a decent side but just need a goal scorer to top it off.

Tierney looks like the forgotten man in that game last night but he bossed everything, superb defender, can execute a pass, hold the ball and is a real threat when he puts his head down and goes for a run down that left wing....what a player.

Agree with the striker point too. We have more forward threat now that we have had in a generation but that is more a comment on the lack of talent we have had over the last 20 years. Adams is a decent premier league striker (and thank goodness we have him) but to step up a level we need better.

theonlywayisup
21-06-2021, 11:11 AM
Why did it have to be him that tests positive :grr:

I blame Public Health England; they obviously did what the English midfield couldn't that was to stop wee Billy.

neil7908
21-06-2021, 11:32 AM
It's just so Scotland isn't it? Outstanding on Friday and now out tomorrow. Surely there will be others in the camp impacted?

Glasgow Hibee
21-06-2021, 11:57 AM
BBC - “ The Scottish FA currently say there are no close contacts identified from inside the camp, with 25 players fit to face Croatia.”

How is that possible ?

Lago
21-06-2021, 11:57 AM
It's just so Scotland isn't it? Outstanding on Friday and now out tomorrow. Surely there will be others in the camp impacted?
We're doomed

21-06-2021, 12:01 PM
We're doomed

Don't Panic!

CropleyWasGod
21-06-2021, 12:04 PM
BBC - “ The Scottish FA currently say there are no close contacts identified from inside the camp, with 25 players fit to face Croatia.”

How is that possible ?

They have good immune systems?

silverhibee
21-06-2021, 12:10 PM

How is that possible ?

So he hasn’t been sitting having breakfast lunch and tea with the players over the last few days, photos of him in close contact with Scotland and England players, what has track and trace got to say about this, he has been in contact with plenty folk over the last few days, if that was me in a pub, it would probably get closed and people contacted to isolate for 10 days, how is football being treated differently.

Smartie
21-06-2021, 12:12 PM
Is it not down to the definition of a "close contact"?

ie a fleeting interaction with someone isn't a close contact. Playing football against someone doesn't make them a close contact.

It's remaining static in the presence of someone for a specific period of time, is it not?

Glasgow Hibee
21-06-2021, 12:22 PM

ie a fleeting interaction with someone isn't a close contact. Playing football against someone doesn't make them a close contact.

It's remaining static in the presence of someone for a specific period of time, is it not?

I’m sure you’re right. Their covid distancing protocols must be really good, but then again - he got it from someone 😁

Pretty Boy
21-06-2021, 12:33 PM
It's a blow but we don't need drastic changes.

Armstrong done well when he came on at Wembley. Bring him in, drop McGreggor deeper, rest as was.

Sir David Gray
21-06-2021, 12:34 PM

Within 2 metres of someone for 15 minutes or more.

LeithMike
21-06-2021, 12:45 PM

Armstrong done well when he came on at Wembley. Bring him in, drop McGreggor deeper, rest as was.Agree that Armstrong was good when he came on but strikes me more as an impact player. I'd keep him on the bench until the last 30 minutes and would be more inclined to start Turnbull alongside McGregor.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

chippy
21-06-2021, 12:50 PM
Agree that Armstrong was good when he came on but strikes me more as an impact player. I'd keep him on the bench until the last 30 minutes and would be more inclined to start Turnbull alongside McGregor.

Good call

oneone73
21-06-2021, 12:56 PM

Armstrong done well when he came on at Wembley. Bring him in, drop McGreggor deeper, rest as was.

Could have been doing with Ryan Jack.

hibsbollah
21-06-2021, 01:06 PM
Agree that Armstrong was good when he came on but strikes me more as an impact player. I'd keep him on the bench until the last 30 minutes and would be more inclined to start Turnbull alongside McGregor.

:agree: That’s what I’d like to see.

Is It On....
21-06-2021, 01:25 PM

How is that possible ?

England set to appeal and claim Harry Kane was close to him ? 😂

EH6 Hibby
21-06-2021, 01:57 PM

I saw a video of the players coming back into the dressing room after and they were all dancing and hugging each other, and ended up dancing in a huddle. Don’t know if Gilmour was directly involved with that but I’d imagine he was.

Is that not supposed to be one of the restrictions for weddings? You can have people there but no singing and dancing.

Smartie
21-06-2021, 02:05 PM
I saw a video of the players coming back into the dressing room after and they were all dancing and hugging each other, and ended up dancing in a huddle. Don’t know if Gilmour was directly involved with that but I’d imagine he was.

Is that not supposed to be one of the restrictions for weddings? You can have people there but no singing and dancing.

I realise it all looks like it’s all highly hypocritical but dancing, hugging and dancing in a circle does not necessarily equal being a close contact. Neither does playing table tennis, and all of these should be fine with the folk you’re part of a bubble with.

The concern must be that Gilmour must have caught it from somewhere and I’m curious to know where.

If they were sat in close proximity to one another for an extended period of time then it would be a different story.

Centre Hawf
21-06-2021, 02:10 PM
If you try going down the rabbit hole of "but they did this and they were doing that" you'll tear your hair out. My solution is to relax and just roll with it.

GreenCastle
21-06-2021, 02:48 PM
There is a lot of things which have gone in this pandemic that don’t make sense. Add this to the list of inconsistencies.

Hibernia&Alba
21-06-2021, 02:56 PM
It's a real shame for him and a big blow for Scotland.

Bristolhibby
21-06-2021, 03:23 PM
I’m sure you’re right. Their covid distancing protocols must be really good, but then again - he got it from someone 😁

Could be on a knife at the team hotel or a door handle.

Terrible luck for the lad.

My bet is it’s a false positive.

J

overdrive
21-06-2021, 03:33 PM
Could be on a knife at the team hotel or a door handle.

Terrible luck for the lad.

My bet is it’s a false positive.

J

I think the current thinking is that it is really unlikely that you would catch COVID from touching surfaces. The focus seems to be on airborne transmission.

cabbageandribs1875
21-06-2021, 03:34 PM
the boy must be absolutely gutted, along with his family

JimBHibees
21-06-2021, 03:35 PM
the boy must be absolutely gutted, along with his family

Yep must be what a shame it is him.

HoboHarry
21-06-2021, 03:37 PM
I'm willing to bet that he'll test negative in the next day or two.

Smartie
21-06-2021, 04:04 PM

I've been thinking the same thing tbh.

Really strange turn of events.

We've been waiting for our tournament defining scandal right enough, I expect we'll be talking about "false positive gate" in 40 odd years in the same way that Willie Johnston was the only player to be taking drugs at the 1978 World Cup.

Gordy M
21-06-2021, 04:10 PM
I think ive worked it out he will be free for the semis, midfield will prob need a wee freshen up by then.....:greengrin

04Sauzee
21-06-2021, 05:00 PM
Not sure if this is nonsense from a Telegraph Journo on Twitter

Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell forced to self isolate after coming into contact with Billy Gilmour. Full story to follow.
England's Euro 2020 plans thrown into chaos after Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell forced to self-isolate
Mount and Chilwell will miss Tuesday night’s final group game against Czech Republic and England's last-16 game

DH1875
21-06-2021, 05:05 PM
Not sure if this is nonsense from a Telegraph Journo on Twitter

Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell forced to self isolate after coming into contact with Billy Gilmour. Full story to follow.
England's Euro 2020 plans thrown into chaos after Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell forced to self-isolate
Mount and Chilwell will miss Tuesday night’s final group game against Czech Republic and England's last-16 game

They just said on ITV that their isolating. If their having to do it, surely some of our players will also have to.

Billy Whizz
21-06-2021, 05:08 PM
They just said on ITV that their isolating. If their having to do it, surely some of our players will also have to.

https://twitter.com/england/status/1407020090583883776?s=21

Chilwell didn’t even play on Friday v Scotland

B.H.F.C
21-06-2021, 05:25 PM

Was on giving Gilmour a cuddle at full time. Think it’s just a precaution and they’ll be end up being available.

Wilson
21-06-2021, 05:37 PM

How is that possible ?

Billy no mates?

JimBHibees
21-06-2021, 06:19 PM
Billy no mates?

Own room socially distanced face mask etc.

Keyser Sauzee
21-06-2021, 06:26 PM

What’s the outcome if he does test negative before the game, is he allowed to be part of the squad and maybe play?

JimBHibees
21-06-2021, 06:28 PM

Southgate has indicated the contact wasn't on the pitch. Pretty poor from all three imo.

Southgate I don't want to cause a drama for Scotland but how does that work with dressing rooms. Clown.

HoboHarry
21-06-2021, 06:50 PM
What’s the outcome if he does test negative before the game, is he allowed to be part of the squad and maybe play?
He won't be playing tomorrow for certain. Despite there being nothing wrong with him. I'd wager money on that.

ancient hibee
21-06-2021, 07:04 PM
He’s staying behind in England.

Pretty Boy
21-06-2021, 07:09 PM
Will he be back for our last 16 game?

Big_Franck
21-06-2021, 07:11 PM

No, he has to isolate for 10 days.

If he now goes on to test negative, does he still have to complete the original 10 day isolation period does anyone know? I think this might be another false positive.

21-06-2021, 07:11 PM

No he’ll be back for the quarters, the semi, the final and the open top bus

CockneyRebel
21-06-2021, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;6599608]Southgate has indicated the contact wasn't on the pitch. Pretty poor from all three imo.

Southgate I don't want to cause a drama for Scotland but how does that work with dressing rooms. Clown

Eh?

JimBHibees
21-06-2021, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;6599608]Southgate has indicated the contact wasn't on the pitch. Pretty poor from all three imo.

Southgate I don't want to cause a drama for Scotland but how does that work with dressing rooms. Clown

Eh?

Interview I saw he came out with a line saying the above. Personally think he should keep out of commenting on Scotland, sounded like stirring it.

Just Alf
21-06-2021, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=CockneyRebel;6599645]

Interview I saw he came out with a line saying the above. Personally think he should keep out of commenting on Scotland, sounded like stirring it.

Watched that myself and thought exactly the same :fuming:

Callum_62
21-06-2021, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=CockneyRebel;6599645]

Interview I saw he came out with a line saying the above. Personally think he should keep out of commenting on Scotland, sounded like stirring it.But then the same applies for his own dressing room

Its a valid question actually

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

21-06-2021, 09:26 PM
Southgate has indicated the contact wasn't on the pitch. Pretty poor from all three imo.

Southgate I don't want to cause a drama for Scotland but how does that work with dressing rooms. Clown.

I'd imagine most teams are keeping socially distanced in the dressing room but it seems like Southgate has inadvertently admitted that England don't, otherwise why would he even ask the question?

Now if one of the English players come down with Covid then perhaps the rest of the team should have to self-isolate.

Centre Hawf
21-06-2021, 11:50 PM
No, he has to isolate for 10 days.

If he now goes on to test negative, does he still have to complete the original 10 day isolation period does anyone know? I think this might be another false positive.

I think it may be possible for him to return a certain number of negative tests over the next few days that would allow him to play in the next round should we get through but I would be lying if I told you what the actual technicalities of that is.

Betty Boop
22-06-2021, 06:54 AM
How can he have no close contacts within the Scotland squad ? That doesn't make sense.

J-C
22-06-2021, 07:04 AM
There is no social distancing during a game, tackling, jumping for balls and hugging at the end.

JimBHibees
22-06-2021, 07:46 AM
How can he have no close contacts within the Scotland squad ? That doesn't make sense.

Distancing own bedroom :dunno:

Numptie
22-06-2021, 07:49 AM
The games are their own bubble, where anything goes. It is outside and players aren't in 'contact' for more than 15 minutes. However, can't believe he wasn't in contact with other Scotland players for more than 15 minutes in the 3 days leading up to the test??

CockneyRebel
22-06-2021, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;6599759]But then the same applies for his own dressing room

Its a valid question actually

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

This was asked in many differing formats by most of the pundits and commentators trying to make sense of the "bubble" that players/staff are in i.e. do all teams "bubble" in the same way? So it is a valid question. Why jump on every comment? Not clever.

DIXIHIBS
22-06-2021, 09:02 AM
Not sure if this has been said already but the reason mount/chilwell are out because they spoke to gilmour in the tunnel for 20 mins after the game. Public health england who made the decision need to come and explain this because the english media is starting to really stir things up ie boot Scotland out the tournament etc.

DH1875
22-06-2021, 09:07 AM
Not sure if this has been said already but the reason mount/chilwell are out because they spoke to gilmour in the tunnel for 20 mins after the game. Public health england who made the decision need to come and explain this because the english media is starting to really stir things up ie boot Scotland out the tournament etc.

I get that and understand it. What I don't get is that he's not had any close contact with anyone in our squad.

DIXIHIBS
22-06-2021, 09:33 AM
I get that and understand it. What I don't get is that he's not had any close contact with anyone in our squad.

Nobody really knows what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe he hasnt had close contact with other players for a long period. I know thats unlikely but the ruling on the england players was based on what the authorities were told. Dont think weve heard the last of this.

JimBHibees
22-06-2021, 09:56 AM

Assume he will have but maybe for less than the 15 mins or distanced. Given the Fleck positive with 6 other players sidelined as possible close contacts for precautionary reasons it is possible they have been very strict and rightly so.

silverhibee
22-06-2021, 09:57 AM
Nobody really knows what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe he hasnt had close contact with other players for a long period. I know thats unlikely but the ruling on the england players was based on what the authorities were told. Dont think weve heard the last of this.

Now that England players are isolating the press/media will do there best to find out how Gilmour came in to contact with someone with COVID, the PIs will be working hard to get the story if there is one out there to be found.

JimBHibees
22-06-2021, 09:58 AM
This was asked in many differing formats by most of the pundits and commentators trying to make sense of the "bubble" that players/staff are in i.e. do all teams "bubble" in the same way? So it is a valid question. Why jump on every comment? Not clever.

It is a reasonable question however his wording of I don't want to cause a drama for Scotland but was imo unnecessary.

Bottom line it sounds like the three players haven't been the smartest after the game.

I'm_cabbaged
22-06-2021, 10:15 AM
Saw on the tv this morning that if he had tested positive in Scotland it would have been a different matter all together. Maybe why we’re besed in England?

theonlywayisup
22-06-2021, 10:36 AM
It makes you wonder how and when did he come into contact with someone with Covid and it's odd that it's just him that's tested positive.

Makes me wonder if he's caught it as part of the Man of the Match presentation.

CallumLaidlaw
22-06-2021, 10:56 AM
Saw on the tv this morning that if he had tested positive in Scotland it would have been a different matter all together. Maybe why we’re besed in England?

We’re actually based in England because Croatia and Czech Republic had already booked up the 2 best facilities in Scotland by the time we qualified so we booked Middlesbrough. As it turned out, due to Covid Protocols in Scotland, Croatia and the Czechs ended up not using their Scottish Bases.

jacomo
22-06-2021, 12:55 PM

It’s absurd and they are making it up as they go along.

The idea that Chilwell and Mount are close contacts and have to isolate but no one in the Scotland camp does… I mean, please.

Still, the show must go on and all that.

marinello59
22-06-2021, 01:21 PM
It’s absurd and they are making it up as they go along.

The idea that Chilwell and Mount are close contacts and have to isolate but no one in the Scotland camp does… I mean, please.

Still, the show must go on and all that.

Do we know yet who decided the two England players counted as close contacts? It really doesn’t make sense at all.

Smartie
22-06-2021, 01:47 PM
I heard a rumour that Gilmour "had a drink" with Mount and Chilwell after the game.

No idea what the finer details are (in all likelihood a soft drink with them somewhere within Wembley, and with his manager's blessing), but he's maybe spent longer in their company, at close proximity and static, than his own team-mates?

And also, I don't think England are doing this because it's been forced upon them - "as a precaution" suggests that they're going for damage limitation and trying to stave off the potential havoc that could have been caused if it had spread far and wide throughout their squad. They do without 2 players, players who they have effective alternatives for, until there are multiple negative tests, the coast is clear and they can return to the squad. They might have done something different if the importance of the player to the squad was similar to, say, Lewandowski to Poland.

flash
22-06-2021, 02:12 PM
The three of them stood chatting for 25 minutes without masks on.

Oscar T Grouch
22-06-2021, 02:28 PM
The three of them stood chatting for 25 minutes without masks on.

:agree:I was reading this thread thinking 'did no one listen to the radio this morning?', they said that the reason it is this three, is that the two English boys stood and chatted to BG after the game for 20 minutes and that is why they need to take precautions. There was a doctor on saying that the Scotland squad followed all directions which is why they don't have anyone else out and the only reason Mount and Chillwell are out is because of the post match stuff with BG, he said it is done with GPS sensors and is very sophisticated. That makes sense to me.

HoboHarry
22-06-2021, 02:32 PM
:agree:I was reading this thread thinking 'did no one listen to the radio this morning?', they said that the reason it is this three, is that the two English boys stood and chatted to BG after the game for 20 minutes and that is why they need to take precautions. There was a doctor on saying that the Scotland squad followed all directions which is why they don't have anyone else out and the only reason Mount and Chillwell are out is because of the post match stuff with BG, he said it is done with GPS sensors and is very sophisticated. That makes sense to me.
What is done with GPS sensors? You mean that all of the players are carrying GPS sensors?

JimBHibees
22-06-2021, 02:49 PM
What is done with GPS sensors? You mean that all of the players are carrying GPS sensors?

Yep they all have the small pack in a vest under their strip. Monitors their individual exertions, location etc

Oscar T Grouch
22-06-2021, 02:52 PM

By all accounts they use them to measure the distance between players. I never thought they were that accurate but according to the doctor on radio this morning they are.

Edit: They never said what happens when the players are in changing, you would assume they have other procedure to work to then.

22-06-2021, 02:53 PM

It's Mount and Chilwell's own stupid fault so the media should be going after them.

JimBHibees
22-06-2021, 02:54 PM
It's Mount and Chilwell's own stupid fault so the media should be going after them.

To be honest all three are at fault. Bit silly but no doubt not the only players to have done it.

HoboHarry
22-06-2021, 03:08 PM
By all accounts they use them to measure the distance between players. I never thought they were that accurate but according to the doctor on radio this morning they are.

Edit: They never said what happens when the players are in changing, you would assume they have other procedure to work to then.
Jesus wept, that's a whole new level of control lol......

DH1875
22-06-2021, 03:58 PM
Look, at the risk of repeating myself. I get why Mount and Chillwell are having to isolate. I don't believe he's not spent 20 minutes talking to at least 1 other member of our squad though.

Dalianwanda
22-06-2021, 04:05 PM
Look, at the risk of repeating myself. I get why Mount and Chillwell are having to isolate. I don't believe he's not spent 20 minutes talking to at least 1 other member of our squad though.

Suppose whether you believe it or not is irrelevant. If they were trying to pull the wool over folks eyes would the not have done it earlier when fleck was positive too? Measures are pretty stringent so doubt they’d get away with anything.

JimBHibees
22-06-2021, 04:20 PM

SFA and public health England are satisfied no close contact issues.

Smartie
22-06-2021, 04:26 PM
Any word yet though on where Gilmour may have picked Covid up from?

If we've got all sorts of impressive GPS technology monitoring players' movements then surely we'd have a rough idea based on his negative and positive tests when he picked up and then as a result of that, who from and how?

I'm more interested in that than obsessing over a young laddie having a wee chinwag to a couple of club team-mates after a big game between their respective countries.

HoboHarry
22-06-2021, 04:44 PM

If we've got all sorts of impressive GPS technology monitoring players' movements then surely we'd have a rough idea based on his negative and positive tests when he picked up and then as a result of that, who from and how?

I'm more interested in that than obsessing over a young laddie having a wee chinwag to a couple of club team-mates after a big game between their respective countries.
Young laddie is out of huge game for what will likely turn out to be a big fat nothing but nevertheless in two weeks time the semi finals and final will host 60,000 fans according to the BBC. Lunatics still running the asylum ...... :faf:

He's here!
22-06-2021, 04:48 PM
I've given up attempting to understand the 'rules' around this sort thing. The Gilmour situation baffles me. If this had happened in a school classroom the whole class plus teacher would be isolating and without wanting to appear unpatriotic there seems no obvious explanation as to why the whole Scotland squad and coaching staff aren't having to isolate.

22-06-2021, 04:54 PM
I've given up attempting to understand the 'rules' around this sort thing. The Gilmour situation baffles me. If this had happened in a school classroom the whole class plus teacher would be isolating and without wanting to appear unpatriotic there seems no obvious explanation as to why the whole Scotland squad and coaching staff aren't having to isolate.

Because they haven't been within 2m of him for 15 minutes or more.

22-06-2021, 05:23 PM
You've probably seen this already.

https://youtube.com/shorts/411J9kiT3FY?feature=share

Iain G
22-06-2021, 05:36 PM

The English gave it to him on purpose to damage out chances and it's all part of BoJo's plan to undermine the SNP and the independence push...or its more than likely a false positive!? 😁

jacomo
23-06-2021, 07:25 AM
Because they haven't been within 2m of him for 15 minutes or more.

Ok then.

Let’s face it, it’s a nonsense.

mcohibs
23-06-2021, 07:41 AM
Ok then.

Let’s face it, it’s a nonsense.

You may disagree with the guidance on close contact but whether you think it's a nonsense or not is irrelevant. Only those who fall into the close contact category as it's defined are required to isolate. Mount and Chilwell did, others did not.

I suspect from England's point of view its also more of a precaution, given that they can afford to rest these players in the group stage as opposed to having them mingle with the rest of the squad and potentially risk further infections in the team. Makes sense really

blackpoolhibs
23-06-2021, 12:57 PM
You may disagree with the guidance on close contact but whether you think it's a nonsense or not is irrelevant. Only those who fall into the close contact category as it's defined are required to isolate. Mount and Chilwell did, others did not.

I suspect from England's point of view its also more of a precaution, given that they can afford to rest these players in the group stage as opposed to having them mingle with the rest of the squad and potentially risk further infections in the team. Makes sense really
It is nonsense though, Billy Gilmour will have sat with other Scotland players for more than 20 minutes eating breakfast, lunch or tea, not to mention relaxation times too.

The rules are being made up as they go along, he was probably in a bus for long journeys too with other players, we are just going with the flow here, and dont get me going on those coming to the semi's and final who dont have to quarantine like the rest of us normal plebs.:rolleyes:

GreenCastle
23-06-2021, 01:52 PM

I heard this with the Scottish Rugby women’s side - they were having to have GPS during lockdown with sensors to track movement and comply with Covid protocols. Does sound extreme but don’t think they wanted to take any risks.

The Gilmour situation is odd and agree with Blackpool Hibs that there are numerous inconsistencies. England have come off worse from a situation that Scotland have only managed to have 1 player miss a game. England have 2 players miss 2 games.

The bus journey - breakfast - team meeting - national anthem (ok that’s short) changing room etc - all possible ways there could have easily been close contacts.

The whole thing is a shame - imagine being man of the match then having to miss the next game ! Then the guilt he feels for making 2 of his mates games also!

mcohibs
23-06-2021, 04:43 PM
It is nonsense though, Billy Gilmour will have sat with other Scotland players for more than 20 minutes eating breakfast, lunch or tea, not to mention relaxation times too.

The rules are being made up as they go along , he was probably in a bus for long journeys too with other players, we are just going with the flow here, and dont get me going on those coming to the semi's and final who dont have to quarantine like the rest of us normal plebs.:rolleyes:

People can repeat this line as much as they want but it's just not true. The rules are there and are being adhered to and implemented accordingly. Whether you agree with them or not, or think they are nonsense, is another issue altogether.

Scotland players will be socially distanced as much as possible during meals, relaxation time and travel for this exact reason. Mount and Chilwell spent half an hour with Gilmour in the tunnel after the game standing right next to him so have been identified as close contacts. They need to isolate.

It's okay to think the rules are daft, and I think most people would agree, but they are not being made up as we go along and there is clear guidance in place that players will be well aware of. If I was an athlete representing my country in a major tournament, I think I'd be wise enough to stand two metres away from one of my mates like the general public have been asked to.

blackpoolhibs
23-06-2021, 04:51 PM
People can repeat this line as much as they want but it's just not true. The rules are there and are being adhered to and implemented accordingly. Whether you agree with them or not, or think they are nonsense, is another issue altogether.

Scotland players will be socially distanced as much as possible during meals, relaxation time and travel for this exact reason. Mount and Chilwell spent half an hour with Gilmour in the tunnel after the game standing right next to him so have been identified as close contacts. They need to isolate.

It's okay to think the rules are daft, and I think most people would agree, but they are not being made up as we go along and there is clear guidance in place that players will be well aware of. If I was an athlete representing my country in a major tournament, I think I'd be wise enough to stand two metres away from one of my mates like the general public have been asked to.
I've seen them training together, holding each other and swinging their legs from side to side, nobody can tell me they are socially distancing when all together at all. They are making it up as they go along.

If the rules are there to be adhered to, can you explain why we will have thousands of UEFA sponsors and delegates allowed in the country without the stringent :faf: rules you or i would have to adhere to, can you explain that clear guidance please?

Eyrie
23-06-2021, 06:40 PM
If the rules are there to be adhered to, can you explain why we will have thousands of UEFA sponsors and delegates allowed in the country without the stringent :faf: rules you or i would have to adhere to, can you explain that clear guidance please?

£££££££££££.

blackpoolhibs
23-06-2021, 08:49 PM
£££££££££££.

Exactly.

Ronniekirk
23-06-2021, 10:01 PM
They are taking the piss now Elite hangers on being allowed freedoms we can’t get to watch Elite Sportsmen

blackpoolhibs
24-06-2021, 07:29 AM
They are taking the piss now Elite hangers on being allowed freedoms we can’t get to watch Elite Sportsmen

Apparently there are clear guidelines we all adhere to, so nothing to see here, move along. :rolleyes:

theonlywayisup
25-03-2022, 05:26 AM
Was really impressed by him last night. I love the way that he plays with his head up and much of his play is to pass forward, none of these backwards passes just to retain possession. You could see our forward momentum halted as soon as he left the pitch, albeit it could have been more down to the three changes disruption our flow.

And a great goal-line clearance, just before we scored.

Next season will be interesting to see at what level he plays at.