PDA

View Full Version : Low Key England

Key West
18-06-2021, 07:13 AM
It seems compared to other tournaments that there is a quieter confidence concerning England, are they as good as France, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Portugal or Germany?

Since90+2
18-06-2021, 07:17 AM
France have the best squad of players. Their first team is unbelievably good. They are the best team in the tournament but doesn't mean they'll win it.

England are one of about 4 or 5 countries that could win it. My gut instinct says they'll fall short though.

Key West
18-06-2021, 07:22 AM
France have the best squad of players. Their first team is unbelievably good. They are the best team in the tournament but doesn't mean they'll win it.

England are one of about 4 or 5 countries that could win it. My gut instinct says they'll fall short though.

Im in agreement with this I feel England are still vulnerable at the back, I wouldn’t consider any of their defenders for the other teams, some really good youngsters though and Harry Kane, quarter final exit in my humble opinion.

bingo70
18-06-2021, 07:26 AM
It seems compared to other tournaments that there is a quieter confidence concerning England, are they as good as France, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Portugal or Germany?

You must be listening to different pundits abd media to me. I’ve not seen anything low key about their build up.

Smartie
18-06-2021, 07:31 AM
Somebody needs to see Gazza’s goal another few thousand times.

Southgate is a good lad, he doesn’t shout from the rooftops, but the pundits are their usual selves.

As disappointing as Monday was, it has been wonderful having Scotland there so we have more important stuff to focus on than how annoying England are.

hibsbollah
18-06-2021, 07:44 AM
Their attacking options are as good as any of the other leading teams (except maybe France) but the obvious weakness at centre back and keeper makes me think they can’t win it.

jacomo
18-06-2021, 07:45 AM
Somebody needs to see Gaza’s goal another few thousand times.

Southgate is a good lad, he doesn’t shout from the rooftops, but the pundits are their usual selves.

As disappointing as Monday was, it has been wonderful having Scotland there so we have more important stuff to focus on than how annoying England are.

I think Southgate does play a big role, his thoughtful response to the booing of the players is a million miles away from the tub thumping Ingerland nonsense seen in past tournaments.

Also, they are at home during a pandemic, so no opportunity for the louts to go trash and terrorise some foreign town for laughs.

Also, they really are quite good these days. The England squad has quality all the way through it. Not the best at the tournament but then the best team doesn’t always win.

calumhibee1
18-06-2021, 07:54 AM
Their attacking options are as good as any of the other leading teams (except maybe France) but the obvious weakness at centre back and keeper makes me think they can’t win it.

This is where I’m at.

They’re great in the forward areas, potentially even better than anyone, but their centre midfield is average and their defence and keeper aren’t great.

Semi final exit I think.

easty
18-06-2021, 08:01 AM
The centre of midfield is nowt special. The can talk up Phillips and Rice all they want, they’re not terrible players, but really they’re not any better than McGinn and McTominay.

They’ve got too many good attacking options, so many they cannae use them all. Good problem to have. Doesn’t make a top team though.

Greenbeard
18-06-2021, 08:01 AM
Never noticed this BBC reporter's name before but this is a good read.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57498888

Since452
18-06-2021, 08:08 AM

Not sure about that. You'd have thought they'd won the trophy after the Croatia game the way Shearer and co were lauding them which surprised me as i thought they were pretty average.

bingo70
18-06-2021, 08:24 AM
The centre of midfield is nowt special. The can talk up Phillips and Rice all they want, they’re not terrible players, but really they’re not any better than McGinn and McTominay.

They’ve got too many good attacking options, so many they cannae use them all. Good problem to have. Doesn’t make a top team though.

I think England’s problem is that they still don’t know their best system. Unfortunately i suspect that won’t make a huge amount of difference against us as they’re so good going forward. Against the best teams though I think it’ll come back to bite them.

I thought England looked incredible in the first 15-20 minutes against Croatia, after that I thought they looked pretty average. Was laughing at the commentator after the France game saying that there wasn’t anything there to worry about. I thought they were unreal and felt in the second half they still could have ramped it up a gear or two.

SlickShoes
18-06-2021, 08:41 AM
One of the problems England have I think is that they don't play competitive games against good teams often enough, so when they finally come up against someone better than average they crumble.

I suspect they will do the same again maybe in the semi final this time.

They should easily have enough to beat us, as annoying as it is to say, on paper it's not much of a competition between the level their attackers play at and the level the majority of our defense plays at.

Since452
18-06-2021, 08:46 AM
I think England’s problem is that they still don’t know their best system. Unfortunately i suspect that won’t make a huge amount of difference against us as they’re so good going forward. Against the best teams though I think it’ll come back to bite them.

I thought England looked incredible in the first 15-20 minutes against Croatia, after that I thought they looked pretty average. Was laughing at the commentator after the France game saying that there wasn’t anything there to worry about. I thought they were unreal and felt in the second half they still could have ramped it up a gear or two.

They have to remember France were playing perennial tournament experts Germany, in Munich. Yes they've slipped down the world rankings a bit but was still a very, very tough opening game and they got through it. France have shown how strong they are already. England were OK. Nothing more nothing less.

Hibrandenburg
18-06-2021, 08:53 AM
Kay Burley's response to the Welsh First Minister saying he "thinks it's time for Scotland to show what they can do in this tournament".

"Well in that case I'll be supporting Italy against Wales".

I hope they get pumped oot at the earliest opportunity.

theonlywayisup
18-06-2021, 08:55 AM
You must be listening to different pundits abd media to me. I’ve not seen anything low key about their build up.

Not sure about that. You'd have thought they'd won the trophy after the Croatia game the way Shearer and co were lauding them which surprised me as i thought they were pretty average.

I think the OP is talking about what the team are saying rather than the media. The media are all fans and are obviously getting excited and will always talk about 1966, football coming home and the hope/expectation that they'll win it.

In previous competitions, you had some England players and management talking the same about winning the competition, when the reality is that they were not quite as good as what they think they were. As I don't listen to what the England team are saying, I can't comment but I'm assuming they are not following a similar path as in previous competitions.

I think England will always do well in such competitions because of their goal threat. However, the midfield is poor compared to other top teams, as is their defence. That said, I think they'll make the semi's although I didn't select them in the poll. :greengrin

Smartie
18-06-2021, 08:58 AM
One of the problems England have I think is that they don't play competitive games against good teams often enough, so when they finally come up against someone better than average they crumble.

I suspect they will do the same again maybe in the semi final this time.

They should easily have enough to beat us, as annoying as it is to say, on paper it's not much of a competition between the level their attackers play at and the level the majority of our defense plays at.

On paper most of our defence shouldn't be too many levels below them. Robertson and Tierney are up there with them, Cooper has been a big part of a successful Premier league defence last season. Hanley had a good season winning the Championship and will be back in the prem next year (even though I've never been a fan in the past I think he's played well for us recently).

The right side of defence gives me the fear - O'Donnell really has no right to be on the same pitch as some of their players. Patterson has potential and looks great going forward but with only a handful of games for a successful Rangers team, does he have any experience whatsoever of being under the cosh against quality attackers?

Historically Scotland have done quite well at forging solid defensive units out of fairly average players. The problems with this game for me is how to get the right blend - to combine a resolute defence with actually being able to retain possession and get out of defence. Taking emotion out of it, this game was always going to be our toughest one and I'd have had some sympathy with a VERY pragmatic approach to this game. Monday's game was an absolute killer though and I still can't understand why we approached the game the way we did.

Sylar
18-06-2021, 09:10 AM
Kay Burley's response to the Welsh First Minister saying he "thinks it's time for Scotland to show what they can do in this tournament".

"Well in that case I'll be supporting Italy against Wales".

I hope they get pumped oot at the earliest opportunity.

Kay Burley's a * - I wouldn't base my opinion of the English national side on the muppets that talk them up in the media.

They have a good young core of players that have the potential to do really well in this tournament IMO - players like Mount, Foden, Rice, Grealish, James etc have the potential to turn them into an excellent young team in the coming years - an earlier poster was spot on though - their weakness is their defense and goalkeeper, which will hurt them in this tournament IMO.

I hope I'm wrong, but I reckon they'll hammer us tonight - especially if he sets up with a team not to lose.

One Day Soon
18-06-2021, 09:18 AM
Kay Burley's a cancer - I wouldn't base my opinion of the English national side on the muppets that talk them up in the media.

They have a good young core of players that have the potential to do really well in this tournament IMO - players like Mount, Foden, Rice, Grealish, James etc have the potential to turn them into an excellent young team in the coming years - an earlier poster was spot on though - their weakness is their defense and goalkeeper, which will hurt them in this tournament IMO.

I hope I'm wrong, but I reckon they'll hammer us tonight - especially if he sets up with a team not to lose.

They're easily the most likeable group of England players I can recall, with far fewer of the prima donna types of the past. There's no question too that Southgate is a class act a world removed from the dafter jingoistic types they've had.

It's not their fault that some of their media are ar5es. But then we have those too, just in different ways.

easty
18-06-2021, 09:24 AM
They're easily the most likeable group of England players I can recall, with far fewer of the prima donna types of the past. There's no question too that Southgate is a class act a world removed from the dafter jingoistic types they've had.

It's not their fault that some of their media are ar5es. But then we have those too, just in different ways.

I don’t think they’re likeable at all.

Did you see the photos of them all? I’d be embarrassed to see our players like this...

https://mobile.twitter.com/England/status/1403271032211861507

Hibrandenburg
18-06-2021, 09:27 AM

I've got too many English mates to be wishing them well :greengrin

I just hope it's me ripping the pish tonight and not them.

One Day Soon
18-06-2021, 09:53 AM
I've got too many English mates to be wishing them well :greengrin

I just hope it's me ripping the pish tonight and not them.

Wishing them well? That's going a bit far.

My ambitions are for Scotland to make it out of the group and for Italy to win it, because I think both of those are possible. Beyond that I'd like to see Spain dumped, Uruguay humiliated (but that's a separate longer term psychological issue) and North Macedonia somehow progress.

I've never been an ABE-er, I think it's a bit cringe - but that's a whole other debate. I'm happy to see them do well but preferably not win it. If anything they remind me of Arsenal - perennial irritating under achievers given the talent base.

Key West
18-06-2021, 09:57 AM
I think the OP is talking about what the team are saying rather than the media. The media are all fans and are obviously getting excited and will always talk about 1966, football coming home and the hope/expectation that they'll win it.

In previous competitions, you had some England players and management talking the same about winning the competition, when the reality is that they were not quite as good as what they think they were. As I don't listen to what the England team are saying, I can't comment but I'm assuming they are not following a similar path as in previous competitions.

I think England will always do well in such competitions because of their goal threat. However, the midfield is poor compared to other top teams, as is their defence. That said, I think they'll make the semi's although I didn't select them in the poll. :greengrin

Correct, the pundits and media are always over the top.

JeMeSouviens
18-06-2021, 10:07 AM

On first game showings, not as good as France, Belgium or Italy but as good as Spain, Portugal or Germany. They do have home advantage though. They'll beat us tonight and their hype train will crank up to full steam.

JeMeSouviens
18-06-2021, 10:09 AM

He seems a thoroughly likeable and good bloke but I'm not convinced he's a great manager. He might become one, but he needs a few decades in club football, surely?

One Day Soon
18-06-2021, 10:10 AM
On first game showings, not as good as France, Belgium or Italy but as good as Spain, Portugal or Germany. They do have home advantage though. They'll beat us tonight and their hype train will crank up to full steam.

You may have found the tiniest sliver of tiny silver lining from 1978. Having overdosed on deranged kool-aid Ally McLeod-ness then we are probably never going to do that again. The hype train won't have a Scottish stopping station for many generations to come.

One Day Soon
18-06-2021, 10:14 AM
He seems a thoroughly likeable and good bloke but I'm not convinced he's a great manager. He might become one, but he needs a few decades in club football, surely?

I thought we were discussing England in terms of image, projection and the effects of those things on prospects. I like Southgate's personality a lot, but that's not the same as being an outstanding manager. On another note I'd like our manager to be less of a stranger to a razor.

JeMeSouviens
18-06-2021, 10:17 AM
You may have found the tiniest sliver of tiny silver lining from 1978. Having overdosed on deranged kool-aid Ally McLeod-ness then we are probably never going to do that again. The hype train won't have a Scottish stopping station for many generations to come.

I agree and the folk memory will last, but to be fair, the 78 team had just knocked out the reigning Euro champs in qualifying and beaten England (World cup winners only 11 years prior) at Wembley. There was at least cause for some optimism.

These days I'd class anyone predicting a Scotland win in Moldova as a deranged lunatic.

JeMeSouviens
18-06-2021, 10:19 AM
I thought we were discussing England in terms of image, projection and the effects of those things on prospects. I like Southgate's personality a lot, but that's not the same as being an outstanding manager. On another note I'd like our manager to be less of a stranger to a razor.

Agreed (except for the razor, in these wfh days I only have a passing acquaintance myself).

Scouse Hibee
18-06-2021, 10:45 AM
Let’s see who can boogie tonight 😁

hibsbollah
18-06-2021, 10:50 AM

There’s not many bearded managers, certainly not successful ones. Klopps is too much of a mess to be called a proper beard. Roy Keane, that guy Phil something at Hull a few years back, all started to lose when they grew beards. Souness won things at the filthy hun with a beard, but that was financial doping times. I can’t think of any others?

CockneyRebel
18-06-2021, 11:13 AM

It was the first time England had won their first match in a tournament for a long long time. If you read the full comments Shearer made he did play things down, saying there was still much to do and they would have to do better to progress against the better sides to come. The majority of comments from the press/media and supporters alike followed in a similar vein. Still some over the top jubilation but no different from any of the other first match winners. Definitely more low key overall than previously. If Scotland had won their first match what would the media/supporters have been saying here? Some responses are daft but mostly it's human nature (like those in a season following the Hibees).

marinello59
18-06-2021, 11:17 AM
It was the first time England had won their first match in a tournament for a long long time. If you read the full comments Shearer made he did play things down, saying there was still much to do and they would have to do better to progress against the better sides to come. The majority of comments from the press/media and supporters alike followed in a similar vein. Still some over the top jubilation but no different from any of the other first match winners. Definitely more low key overall than previously. If Scotland had won their first match what would the media/supporters have been saying here? Some responses are daft but mostly it's human nature (like those in a season following the Hibees).

:agree:
There’s been little wrong with the coverage.

Alfred E Newman
18-06-2021, 11:36 AM

To be fair, listening to our pundits you would be forgiven for thinking we go into this game on the back of a win against the Czech Republic.

JeMeSouviens
18-06-2021, 11:37 AM
There’s not many bearded managers, certainly not successful ones. Klopps is too much of a mess to be called a proper beard. Roy Keane, that guy Phil something at Hull a few years back, all started to lose when they grew beards. Souness won things at the filthy hun with a beard, but that was financial doping times. I can’t think of any others?

Nuno ex Wolves.

worcesterhibby
18-06-2021, 11:47 AM

Mike Bassett did a pretty decent Job with England :greengrin

Bristolhibby
18-06-2021, 11:56 AM
Can’t see England (or anyone) beating Italy.

They are my complete team.

J

NAE NOOKIE
18-06-2021, 12:10 PM
You can't tell from first games exactly how good a team is. Italy ran Turkey ragged, but considering they lost to Wales perhaps Italy were made to look a wee bit better than they are .... though clearly they aint bad.

IMO England were surprisingly ordinary against Croatia, but Croatia are usually tough to play against and the temperature was near 30 degrees which no doubt slowed the game down a good bit.

England have the players to win it .... question is, do they have the team to win it?

hibsbollah
18-06-2021, 12:16 PM
Nuno ex Wolves.

:agree: Yes, he’s a definite outlier. A nice bushy pirate number you can imagine a small mammal making a nest in.

Billy Whizz
18-06-2021, 12:18 PM
Let’s see who can boogie tonight 😁

I’m quite relaxed about tonight’s game
Scotland weren’t nearly as bad as some thought on Monday
19 shots at goal, which is high for an international game, England and Croatia had 8 each

Keith_M
18-06-2021, 12:52 PM
I'd imagine England are quite confident about tonight's game, and have every right to be.

'Sunshine Stevie' will be hoping for a draw, but I doubt very much we'll manage that.

Future17
18-06-2021, 12:56 PM
I see Southgate was asked whether the England team was arrogant and he said they pride themselves on their humility. :greengrin

Pilrig_Sauzee
18-06-2021, 01:34 PM
Were I English, like some of my family (what do you do?) i would be quite proud of the manner in which their manager, and some of the players go about their work. Decent lads, well-led by a good man. But they will need to improve on first game form, they would not have beaten any of the big sides I don’t think.

Semifinalists I reckon.

marinello59
18-06-2021, 01:37 PM
I see Southgate was asked whether the England team was arrogant and he said they pride themselves on their humility. :greengrin

They’re actually a fairly likeable bunch. Although they might just be putting on an act to annoy us.:greengrin

JimBHibees
18-06-2021, 01:45 PM

Yes don't really rate Southgate as a manager tbh

Smartie
18-06-2021, 01:54 PM
They’re actually a fairly likeable bunch. Although they might just be putting on an act to annoy us.:greengrin

I don't want to go as far as to say they're likeable but I definitely don't think they're anywhere near as detestable as many of their predecessors.

They have potential though, and I think Southgate is doing a very good job of keeping their feet on the ground. A good few of them have the potential to be erseholes - Grealish, Maguire etc.

Mr. Wonderful
19-06-2021, 12:27 AM
Yes don't really rate Southgate as a manager tbh

He's a decent manager of a decent side. England can faff around with managers all day if they want but they'll never have the x factor that other sides do. They live in the bubble of the EPL, forgetting how heavily aided their league is by the expensive foreign talent that arrives every year.

Bostonhibby
19-06-2021, 07:17 AM
He's a decent manager of a decent side. England can faff around with managers all day if they want but they'll never have the x factor that other sides do. They live in the bubble of the EPL, forgetting how heavily aided their league is by the expensive foreign talent that arrives every year.This is how I've seen them for most of Southgate's time.

One of the mid range group of teams bursting to get into the group of real good trophy winning teams but nowhere near as good as the hype, even if a large chunk of their perfectly decent fans have swallowed that hype.

Southgate is a decent honourable guy and shuffling the managerial pack again will probably see much the same outcome.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

jacomo
19-06-2021, 07:43 AM
This is how I've seen them for most of Southgate's time.

One of the mid range group of teams bursting to get into the group of real good trophy winning teams but nowhere near as good as the hype, even if a large chunk of their perfectly decent fans have swallowed that hype.

Southgate is a decent honourable guy and shuffling the managerial pack again will probably see much the same outcome.

I think this undersells Southgate a bit.

He’s done a lot to strip away the hubris and sense of entitlement around England and produce a team that works hard.

Wonder if he regrets dropping Trippier though. Clearly the plan was to outplay us last night - which makes sense given the overall strength of their squad compared to ours - but we dragged them into a battle instead.

Credit to Scotland… England are a very decent side who could tear opponents apart if they click. I still think they will go deep into this tournament.

Bostonhibby
19-06-2021, 07:45 AM
I think this undersells Southgate a bit.

He’s done a lot to strip away the hubris and sense of entitlement around England and produce a team that works hard.

Wonder if he regrets dropping Trippier though. Clearly the plan was to outplay us last night - which makes sense given the overall strength of their squad compared to ours - but we dragged them into a battle instead.

Credit to Scotland… England are a very decent side who could tear opponents apart if they click. I still think they will go deep into this tournament.Good points, except I cant see England getting past belgium, france, Netherlands, Spain or Germany, italy and maybe even Portugal. So probably quarter finalists at best.

Since452
19-06-2021, 08:23 AM
Overrated England

Pretty Boy
19-06-2021, 09:27 AM
I've read and listened to a lot of the reaction to last night from the perspective of England fans and pundits. At first my reaction was 'arrogant *****'. It's all about how bad they were with perhaps the odd grudging praise for the 'plucky Scotch'.

However I question if that is really all that different from many football fans, probably a majority. How often do fans look to their own teams failings when they drop points? I'd argue almost always. We are almost always grudging in praise for the opposition and find it hard to accept an opposing team and manager have set up in a way that nullifies ourselves and accentuates their strengths. The reaction to Hibs v St Johnstone on several occasions is a prime example and I'm guiltier than most for doing it. The failing of Jack Ross were extensively highlighted, the budget, individual ability, fanbase, league position and so on were all mentioned. Football doesn't always respect those things though. How many people stopped to acknowledge the success of Callum Davidson in setting up his team in a way we found impossible to figure out and completely nullify us? Far fewer than were happy to list all of Hibs failings.

I'm as delighted as anyone to see the likes of Ian Wright with his puss tripping him last night. However these guys are under no real obligation to be impartial, certainly no more than Fletcher and McFadden who are quite rightly passionate about their team. They are fans as much as they are pundits. I don't envy the task of the BBC and ITV, they are trying to keep 3 sets of partisan fans happy in a way that the broadcasters in Germany, Italy and Spain aren't.

Nowadays if the commentary and punditry really spoils your enjoyment of the game it's really not all that hard to find dozens of alternative options.

Phil MaGlass
19-06-2021, 09:30 AM
Good points, except I cant see England getting past belgium, france, Netherlands, Spain or Germany, italy and maybe even Portugal. So probably quarter finalists at best.

Netherlands are not very good, been watching them for a couple of years, England can beat them and Spain.

JimBHibees
19-06-2021, 09:32 AM
Netherlands are not very good, been watching them for a couple of years, England can beat them and Spain.

Out of the teams from current form who would beat England are imo Italy France and Belgium.

Bostonhibby
19-06-2021, 09:32 AM
Netherlands are not very good, been watching them for a couple of years, England can beat them and Spain.It's possible but not on last nights showing. You'd think getting to play at wembley would automatically hand them an advantage/incentive.

PatHead
19-06-2021, 10:26 AM
Good points, except I cant see England getting past belgium, france, Netherlands, Spain or Germany, italy and maybe even Portugal. So probably quarter finalists at best.

Someone was telling me that if we win, we could play Sweden. If we won that it could be England at Wembley in the quarters. I know a lot has to happen for this to pan out and amn't getting ahead of myself. Thought I would throw it out there though.

Key West
19-06-2021, 10:36 AM
I've read and listened to a lot of the reaction to last night from the perspective of England fans and pundits. At first my reaction was 'arrogant *****'. It's all about how bad they were with perhaps the odd grudging praise for the 'plucky Scotch'.

However I question if that is really all that different from many football fans, probably a majority. How often do fans look to their own teams failings when they drop points? I'd argue almost always. We are almost always grudging in praise for the opposition and find it hard to accept an opposing team and manager have set up in a way that nullifies ourselves and accentuates their strengths. The reaction to Hibs v St Johnstone on several occasions is a prime example and I'm guiltier than most for doing it. The failing of Jack Ross were extensively highlighted, the budget, individual ability, fanbase, league position and so on were all mentioned. Football doesn't always respect those things though. How many people stopped to acknowledge the success of Callum Davidson in setting up his team in a way we found impossible to figure out and completely nullify us? Far fewer than were happy to list all of Hibs failings.

I'm as delighted as anyone to see the likes of Ian Wright with his puss tripping him last night. However these guys are under no real obligation to be impartial, certainly no more than Fletcher and McFadden who are quite rightly passionate about their team. They are fans as much as they are pundits. I don't envy the task of the BBC and ITV, they are trying to keep 3 sets of partisan fans happy in a way that the broadcasters in Germany, Italy and Spain aren't.

Nowadays if the commentary and punditry really spoils your enjoyment of the game it's really not all that hard to find dozens of alternative options.

To be fair a lot of their media have acknowledged Scotland in context being excellent last night, though Rio Ferdinand did himself no favours by virtually dismissing us and giving the impression that he believes England are a fantastic team.
Journalists/Pundits appear to focus on the domestic league, ignoring the fact that there are a lot of great players playing in the other leagues, they also seem to be oblivious to the influence that players from other parts of the world have on their own youngsters and finally that there are potentially super youngsters playing in Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 to name but a few.

CMurdoch
19-06-2021, 10:55 AM
Good post from Pretty Boy above covers the media and fan issues.

In reality the tournament doesn't start for the big teams, inc. England, until after the group stage.
The group games are warm ups for them. Avoid injuries and suspensions.

Only France have had to flex their muscles so far due to playing Germany.
Italy have won their 2 games well but the opposition have been poor.

England are highly unlikely to win the tournament. They need Kane to do his thing. He is missing Son who is a great foil for him at Spurs. I don't watch a lot of English football so don't know how good their young guys are but Sterling still looks better than most of them.

I think Mbappe will be the guy that makes the difference and wins the trophy for France with Italy 2nd favs.
Meantime England are still in the pack with the other big fish.

Since452
19-06-2021, 11:35 AM
Saw the clip on Twitter of Rio Ferdinand saying England were definitely going to win last night. Arrogant and ignorant. Exactly the kind of thing that gets people's backs up. Heaps unnecessary pressure on their own players too. But then again you've got folk like Fodden cutting around like Eminem so maybe they believe their own hype.

CropleyWasGod
19-06-2021, 07:31 PM
Saw the clip on Twitter of Rio Ferdinand saying England were definitely going to win last night. Arrogant and ignorant. Exactly the kind of thing that gets people's backs up. Heaps unnecessary pressure on their own players too. But then again you've got folk like Fodden cutting around like Eminem so maybe they believe their own hype.

Tbf, he's taken the slagging well today.

Rumble de Thump
19-06-2021, 08:32 PM
Danny Mills says there's nothing for England to fear regarding Spain. Standard patter.

Michael
19-06-2021, 08:44 PM
Danny Mills says there's nothing for England to fear regarding Spain. Standard patter.

Don't think there's much between them to be fair. Spain aren't what they were 10 years ago.

marinello59
19-06-2021, 09:42 PM

He’s right. Spain are nothing special right now.

Key West
19-06-2021, 09:52 PM

The Spanish pundits were probably saying the same thing about England.

marinello59
20-06-2021, 04:42 AM
The Spanish pundits were probably saying the same thing about England.

And they’d be right as well. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 08:38 AM
He's a decent manager of a decent side. England can faff around with managers all day if they want but they'll never have the x factor that other sides do. They live in the bubble of the EPL, forgetting how heavily aided their league is by the expensive foreign talent that arrives every year.

Have to disagree. England side talent wise is as good as anyone apart from France. The manager is just rubbish. Sancho is the best winger in Germany and hasn't played a minute.

Rumble de Thump
20-06-2021, 10:48 AM

Considering England couldn't even beat Scotland at Wembley, they should fear pretty much every team in the tournament.

marinello59
20-06-2021, 10:57 AM
Considering England couldn't even beat Scotland at Wembley, they should fear pretty much every team in the tournament.

That’s actually more disrespectful to Scotland then England. :greengrin

Key West
20-06-2021, 11:10 AM
For what it is worth England have some decent players but at this level it is negated by what I would say were a fair share of average players. The latest claim for optimism is that when Portugal and Greece won it they weren’t fantastic, so it’s still in the bag.

O'Rourke3
20-06-2021, 10:04 PM
I don't envy the task of the BBC and ITV, they are trying to keep 3 sets of partisan fans happy in a way that the broadcasters in Germany, Italy and Spain

Friday ITV could have not gone to the adverts just after GSTQ and broadcast FOS. They dont care about impartiality and have given up pretending. Same when the England team play Rugby.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Just_Jimmy
21-06-2021, 02:08 AM
Friday ITV could have not gone to the adverts just after GSTQ and broadcast FOS. They dont care about impartiality and have given up pretending. Same when the England team play Rugby.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalkdon't know if I've missed something but FOS was first and was broadcast. followed by GStQ.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

oxymoron
21-06-2021, 12:05 PM

:agree: very good comment - completely agree

oxymoron
21-06-2021, 02:16 PM

:agree: VG thoughtful post. The only challenge I would have is with the broadcasters responsibility (particularly the BBC, which we directly pay for) for balance and ensuring that this is relayed to those on. They are there to analyse the performance of British teams, not the default England with a cursory glance to the others. ...and by the way, if we think it's bad, how pissed off would you be to be Welsh. They have been genuinely quality, and yet get nothing like the 'real deal' England