PDA

View Full Version : Uk holidays

Squealing pig
17-06-2021, 07:48 PM
Looking to book up for Blackpool as a non driver what’s the best options to get there and back , anyone any ideas

Pretty Boy
17-06-2021, 07:57 PM
I stayed in Blackpool when I went to the Grand National a few years back. Got the TransPenine Express to Preston then the train from there to Blackpool.

Squealing pig
17-06-2021, 08:06 PM
I stayed in Blackpool when I went to the Grand National a few years back. Got the TransPenine Express to Preston then the train from there to Blackpool.

Thanks for the reply looks decent price mate 👍

Santa Cruz
17-06-2021, 10:27 PM

Just a heads up in case you haven't been to the train station in Preston. Many changes for different routes, and they can change the platform of approaching trains at very short notice meaning you have to leg it to the updated platform. Keep your eye on the arrivals board. That was my experience.

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2021, 11:10 PM
Just a heads up in case you haven't been to the train station in Preston. Many changes for different routes, and they can change the platform of approaching trains at very short notice meaning you have to leg it to the updated platform. Keep your eye on the arrivals board. That was my experience.

Far easier to change at Wigan for Blackpool, Preston is a pain in the erse.

Moulin Yarns
18-06-2021, 07:49 AM
Far easier to change at Wigan for Blackpool, Preston is a pain in the erse.

Would that not add an hour to the journey?

147lothian
18-06-2021, 09:11 AM

I think it would, when I got a train ticket Edinburgh to Blackpool, I found I had to change trains in Preston, but the trains seem to run regular Preston to Blackpool, you won't have to wait long on the connection.

Hibby70
18-06-2021, 09:23 AM
Never had an issue going via Preston. However coming back I'd advise getting an earlier train to Preston as I've had too many a close shave getting my connection due to slow running trains/cancellation from Blackpool

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-06-2021, 09:39 AM

Book your return tickets in 2 parts, Edinburgh-Preston then Preston-Blackpool, usually works out cheaper.

Scouse Hibee
18-06-2021, 09:55 AM

Yeah just ignore me, was talking about going to Liverpool, now realise it’s Blackpool 😂

147lothian
18-06-2021, 10:48 AM
Looking to book up for Blackpool as a non driver what’s the best options to get there and back , anyone any ideas

I have to say m8, I think of Blackpool as the typical sea-side resort that people used to go to before cheap flights, it's very run down nowadays, lots of stag and hen party's, it might be ok for a weekend but I personally wouldn't want to be there for any longer than that.

Squealing pig
18-06-2021, 11:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies yeh it’s just for the weekend 👌

c31
18-06-2021, 11:10 AM
Just come down to London, cheap flights and/or trains and there are really good deals with hotels (check Premier Inn prices at the moment). There so much to do that's better than a rundown seaside resort.

pollution
18-06-2021, 11:35 AM
Book your return tickets in 2 parts, Edinburgh-Preston then Preston-Blackpool, usually works out cheaper.

I have heard about this and was sceptical but just compared fare and the difference is amazing.

£111 Edi to Blackpool but only £82 when split into two tickets.

patch1875
18-06-2021, 11:58 AM
Good old days the September weekend in Blackpool.

Pretty Boy
18-06-2021, 12:22 PM
I have to say m8, I think of Blackpool as the typical sea-side that resort people used to go to before cheap flights, it's very run down nowadays, lots of stag and hen party's, it might be ok for a weekend but I personally wouldn't want to be there for any longer than that.

It is rundown and a bit sad looking but with a bairn it still does the job.

We took our daughter there last year during the illumimations for a couple of days and she had a ball. Things that go up and down and spin, sugary food and bright colours. You can't really go wrong.

The day we arrived we were on one of the piers when the lights came on. As we walked along the front and she saw the Tower lit up like a rainbow she told us it was 'the best place in the world'. She'll learn but I'd have no hesitation in taking her back.

Billy Whizz
18-06-2021, 02:05 PM
Good old days the September weekend in Blackpool.

I used to do this in the early 80’s
There was a pub near the Pleasure beach, that we used to get dropped off at. Folk would be absolutely steaming at 1pm on the Friday afternoon
Think it was called something like Diamond Lils?
Presume it’s long gone

blackpoolhibs
18-06-2021, 04:34 PM
I used to do this in the early 80’s
There was a pub near the Pleasure beach, that we used to get dropped off at. Folk would be absolutely steaming at 1pm on the Friday afternoon
Think it was called something like Diamond Lils?
Presume it’s long gone
Aye long gone, it's now the passage de terror where you walk through a lot of scary scenes from films, and at the end you get chased by a guy with a pretend chainsaw and run out to a bar where everyone laughs at you for being scared. :greengrin

Not sure what that bar is called these days.

Billy Whizz
18-06-2021, 05:23 PM
Aye long gone, it's now the passage de terror where you walk through a lot of scary scenes from films, and at the end you get chased by a guy with a pretend chainsaw and run out to a bar where everyone laughs at you for being scared. :greengrin

Ha ha, that place is a real blast from the past

Frazerbob
19-06-2021, 07:23 PM

Spoiler alert!!!

marinello59
19-06-2021, 08:02 PM

That’s still there then , did it the year it opened. I came close to lamping Freddy Krueger when he wouldn’t back off. :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
19-06-2021, 09:14 PM
I have heard about this and was sceptical but just compared fare and the difference is amazing.

£111 Edi to Blackpool but only £82 when split into two tickets.

Incredible prices really. A lot of folk going to realise just how expensive a "staycation" is in the UK.

marinello59
19-06-2021, 09:16 PM
Incredible prices really. A lot of folk going to realise just how expensive a "staycation" is in the UK.

It’s not a staycation, it’s a holiday! :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
19-06-2021, 10:09 PM
a mate just back from a weeks caravan holiday at seton sands with his daughter = £800 :rolleyes: stuff that

SteveHFC
19-06-2021, 11:48 PM
Yeah just ignore me, was talking about going to Liverpool, now realise it’s Blackpool 😂

I'm getting the train to Preston from Waverley then Preston to Liverpool in 2 weeks time. I have a 15 minute wait in Preston for my connecting train to Liverpool. Hopefully won't be any delays on the day.

Scouse Hibee
20-06-2021, 12:57 AM
I'm getting the train to Preston from Waverley then Preston to Liverpool in 2 weeks time. I have a 15 minute wait in Preston for my connecting train to Liverpool. Hopefully won't be any delays on the day.

Done the train journey Edinburgh to Liverpool for twenty odd years and always preferred to change at Wigan to save running around the station at Preston. It was great for a short time when there was a direct Edinburgh to Liverpool train, that didn’t last long though.

Pretty Boy
20-06-2021, 09:22 AM
a mate just back from a weeks caravan holiday at seton sands with his daughter = £800 :rolleyes: stuff that

We done a week a couple of years ago at a Haven in the Lake District for £220 for 3 of us. Same holiday this year they wanted £765.

I get it's a sellers market, people will pay it and these places lost a fortune over the last 18 months. However it's a risky strategy if there is a public backlash in the years to come.

calumhibee1
20-06-2021, 09:55 AM

I couldn’t pay that to go on holiday in the U.K.

I’m away to London in august. Two nights train and hotel (Yotel so nothing fancy but also far from a dump) working out about £115pp.

heretoday
20-06-2021, 11:07 AM
Travel Lodges have good bargains most of the time. Basic but clean.

Some of the prices for chalets and lodges are outrageous. Greedy sods.

Jakhog1
20-06-2021, 11:28 AM
Travel Lodges have good bargains most of the time. Basic but clean.

Some of the prices for chalets and lodges are outrageous. Greedy sods.

The prices of lodges are ridiculous this year, we take the kids too a lodge every summer and this year they have been more than double the price to the same places we have been previously, we managed to get an ok deal for one in Nottinghamshire for a week, just need to find things for the kids to do down there now.

Squealing pig
21-06-2021, 03:39 PM
Took advice of booking singular , only 58 quid to get down for 7 people seems bit underpriced tbf

Sure the big spending will happen when we’re there no doubt lol

BroxburnHibee
21-06-2021, 06:34 PM
Trying to find somewhere for 4 adults and 2 dogs in Argyll/Loch Lomond area for beginning of September but struggling :greengrin

Dmas
21-06-2021, 07:20 PM
https://luxurywinnebago.com/

Don’t know if these would work out cheaper than what some are experiencing but I can vouch for the motor homes here, clean and a cracking customer service.

Jakhog1
21-06-2021, 07:34 PM
Trying to find somewhere for 4 adults and 2 dogs in Argyll/Loch Lomond area for beginning of September but struggling :greengrin

Have you tried Hoseasons, they usually have lodges for that area that are pet friendly, we use Hoseasons for most of our holidays in UK and never had any problems

Danderhall Hibs
21-06-2021, 09:59 PM
I couldn’t pay that to go on holiday in the U.K.

I’m away to London in august. Two nights train and hotel (Yotel so nothing fancy but also far from a dump) working out about £115pp.

:agree: I’ve gone for 4 nights (Sun-Thurs) mid-July, 2 adults, 2 kids - premier inn (with breakfast) and return train journey for £500.

BroxburnHibee
21-06-2021, 10:11 PM
Have you tried Hoseasons, they usually have lodges for that area that are pet friendly, we use Hoseasons for most of our holidays in UK and never had any problems

I did look as they looked perfect but we have to go Fri-Mon and for whatever reason they don't allow you that option.

147lothian
26-06-2021, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies yeh it’s just for the weekend 👌

Check this out on YouTube m8, it gives you a good idea of the lay of the land that your heading to; 5am in Blackpool

hibsbollah
26-06-2021, 11:34 AM
The whole UK airport experience is so much better post COVID. It’s so chilled, no queues, no crowds, straight in and out, great hygiene protocols. How sustainable it is, thats another question.

Lancs Harp
26-06-2021, 09:57 PM
Blackpool welcomes Scotland en masse as per usual. If you fancy forking out a few quid extra Lytham is very nice.

#lancsHarp Fylde touist rep.

degenerated
27-06-2021, 07:31 PM
I have to say m8, I think of Blackpool as the typical sea-side resort that people used to go to before cheap flights, it's very run down nowadays, lots of stag and hen party's, it might be ok for a weekend but I personally wouldn't want to be there for any longer than that.If you think Blackpool is bad, you should see Morecambe. [emoji16]

Used to go to the punk weekenders which alternated between the two and Blackpool is positively upmarket compared to Morecambe.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

Keith_M
28-06-2021, 02:48 PM
We had a few days away at Callander during the week. Boy is it expensive now, compared to the last couple of times we've been.

Dunno if it was just my mood* but it looks a bit more rundown and miserable than I remember as well.

* Grumpy? Moi? :greengrin

DH1875
28-06-2021, 09:28 PM
We had a few days away at Callander during the week. Boy is it expensive now, compared to the last couple of times we've been.

Dunno if it was just my mood* but it looks a bit more rundown and miserable than I remember as well.

Great. We are supposed to be going on Wednesday 😆

Future17
28-06-2021, 10:24 PM
Great. We are supposed to be going on Wednesday 😆

Hopefully, by the time you go, Keith will be in a better mood and it won't look as run down and miserable. :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
29-06-2021, 07:37 AM

There is a very good beer shop just outside of Callander, besides the Lade Inn.

Keith_M
29-06-2021, 09:51 AM
Great. We are supposed to be going on Wednesday ��

I hope you have a lovely time https://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/greengrin2.gif

Hopefully, by the time you go, Keith will be in a better mood and it won't look as run down and miserable. :greengrin

Highly unlikely!

:wink:

p.s. The Kilmahog Woollen Mill (https://www.google.com/maps/@56.246301,-4.2432357,3a,30y,24.13h,86.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sM0aklfffH4U1kCcIAc-orQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656) has shut down, which I was very disappointed about as that's where I always bought our cheap souvenir tat.

p.p.s The one next door is still open, but it's just not the same.

BroxburnHibee
29-06-2021, 10:45 AM

Haha I've just booked a lodge up there for the end of August :greengrin

147lothian
06-07-2021, 11:24 PM
I'm going to be spending 4 nights in Pluckton, followed by a week in Glencoe, I have never been to Pluckton before would be great to hear from anyone that's been there before about places to visit, things to do etc

JeMeSouviens
07-07-2021, 07:34 AM
I'm going to be spending 4 nights in Pluckton, followed by a week in Glencoe, I have never been to Pluckton before would be great to hear from anyone that's been there before about places to visit, things to do etc

Plockton. Beautiful place. Great wee chippy. Callum’s boat trip is good. Hire a kayak from the boy at the harbour. Plockton Inn has regular live music. Couple of nice restaurants.

Further afield, Eilean Donan castle. Skye is nearby. Applecross is lovely. Get Smidge midgie repellent!

147lothian
07-07-2021, 10:05 AM
Plockton. Beautiful place. Great wee chippy. Callum’s boat trip is good. Hire a kayak from the boy at the harbour. Plockton Inn has regular live music. Couple of nice restaurants.

Further afield, Eilean Donan castle. Skye is nearby. Applecross is lovely. Get Smidge midgie repellent!

Plockton Inn is where I am staying, great info mate I had already planned on a visit to Eilean Donan castle, but now I have Callum's boat trip and Applecross on my to do list:aok:

Hiber-nation
07-07-2021, 02:32 PM

I was in Plockton last week, absolutely magical wee place in the sunshine. Was only there for an hour but really nice for a spot of lunch down by the water.

McD
07-07-2021, 08:37 PM
I was in Plockton last week, absolutely magical wee place in the sunshine. Was only there for an hour but really nice for a spot of lunch down by the water.

isn't that the place that Hamish McBeth was filmed?

Hiber-nation
07-07-2021, 10:12 PM

Sorry, no idea.

Pretty Boy
07-07-2021, 10:14 PM

It was.

patch1875
08-07-2021, 08:12 AM
Were just back from a few day up the Highlands. We stayed in a cracking apartment overlooking Loch Lochy just outside Spean Bridge.

Weather was great food was great lots of walking and we also done some kayaking and stand up paddle boarding.

Gutted to be home now.

JeMeSouviens
08-07-2021, 08:59 AM
Plockton Inn is where I am staying, great info mate I had already planned on a visit to Eilean Donan castle, but now I have Callum's boat trip and Applecross on my to do list:aok:

:aok:

Lunch at the Applecross Inn, superb!

Moulin Yarns
08-07-2021, 09:01 AM
Were just back from a few day up the Highlands. We stayed in a cracking apartment overlooking Loch Lochy just outside Spean Bridge.

Weather was great food was great lots of walking and we also done some kayaking and stand up paddle boarding.

Gutted to be home now.

What was the name of the place? Looking for that area later this year

patch1875
08-07-2021, 09:21 AM
What was the name of the place? Looking for that area later this year

https://www.expedia.co.uk/Spean-Bridge-Hotels-Beautiful-New-Loch-Side-Holiday-Home-In-The-Heart-Of-The-Scottish-Highlands.h33595367.Hotel-Information

This is the one we stayed in but search The Corries Spean Brisge there are a couple more that are also rented out

Pretty Boy
08-07-2021, 09:59 AM
One of the things that has struck me in the last few weeks, or rather something I have been reminded off, is how expensive breaks in the UK are.

A few years ago my then girlfriend and I decided not to go abroad on holiday but instead 'do Edinburgh' as tourists. We each took 2 weeks off work and for 10 days went to some of the tourist sites, went out for lunches, drinks and dinner. had lazy days in parks, went long walks and so on. Basically all the things you do on holiday, be that city break or beach holiday. At the end of the 10 days or so we had set aside we totaled it up and had spent nearly £1700. The year before we had been on a long weekend in Berlin and 10 days in Turkey and hadn't spent close to that when it came to spending money.

Of course Edinburgh regularly sits in the top 5 most expensive places to live in the UK by various measures but it's something that is true across much of Scotland and the UK. I like a break at home but in terms of value for money I wouldn't be rushing to 'staycation' every year going forward.

marinello59
08-07-2021, 10:06 AM
One of the things that has struck me in the last few weeks, or rather something I have been reminded off, is how expensive breaks in the UK are.

A few years ago my then girlfriend and I decided not to go abroad on holiday but instead 'do Edinburgh' as tourists. We each took 2 weeks off work and for 10 days went to some of the tourist sites, went out for lunches, drinks and dinner. had lazy days in parks, went long walks and so on. Basically all the things you do on holiday, be that city break or beach holiday. At the end of the 10 days or so we had set aside we totaled it up and had spent nearly £1700. The year before we had been on a long weekend in Berlin and 10 days in Turkey and hadn't spent close to that when it came to spending money.

Of course Edinburgh regularly sits in the top 5 most expensive places to live in the UK by various measures but it's something that is true across much of Scotland and the UK. I like a break at home but in terms of value for money I wouldn't be rushing to 'staycation' every year going forward.

You can't compare costs in Scotland and Turkey though without taking in to account the low wages and poor conditions that exist there and in many of the other traditionally cheap hotspots we all visit. Prices are inflated this year in Scotland due to extremely high demand but in normal years you do get what you pay for.

And its a proper holiday, not a staycation. :grr:
:greengrin

Moulin Yarns
08-07-2021, 10:13 AM
https://www.expedia.co.uk/Spean-Bridge-Hotels-Beautiful-New-Loch-Side-Holiday-Home-In-The-Heart-Of-The-Scottish-Highlands.h33595367.Hotel-Information

This is the one we stayed in but search The Corries Spean Brisge there are a couple more that are also rented out

Cheers. 👍

Pretty Boy
08-07-2021, 10:26 AM
You can't compare costs in Scotland and Turkey though without taking in to account the low wages and poor conditions that exist there and in many of the other traditionally cheap hotspots we all visit. Prices are inflated this year in Scotland due to extremely high demand but in normal years you do get what you pay for.

And its a proper holiday, not a staycation. :grr:
:greengrin

I totally get many of the reasons for it but when price is a consideration then it's difficult to make a case for Scotland sometimes.

We were out as a family of 3 on Sunday. We stopped for a late lunch. 3 bang average fish & chips, 2 adults and a child portion, 3 soft drinks then we moved on elsewhere for 3 ice creams then a beer garden for a pint and another 2 soft drinks. Add in bus fares and I didn't have much left out of £100 for that.

Since90+2
08-07-2021, 11:44 AM
Off to York in a couple of weeks for a few days. First break for a few years that it's just me and the wife since our daughter was born.

Really looking forward to it, especially as all restrictions should be lifted dan south by then.

Stairway 2 7
08-07-2021, 11:57 AM
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-amber-travel-isolation-axed-24487954

Will all amber countries turning green change peoples travel plans to abroad, or are you keeping it uk this year still

Billy Whizz
08-07-2021, 12:29 PM
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-amber-travel-isolation-axed-24487954

Will all amber countries turning green change peoples travel plans to abroad, or are you keeping it uk this year still

Going to try and get away in the autumn. Do you think there’s a chance by then, we won’t pre and post visit COVID tests

Stairway 2 7
08-07-2021, 12:44 PM
Going to try and get away in the autumn. Do you think there’s a chance by then, we won’t pre and post visit COVID tests

Not sure, there's an update on testing on the 30th of July. People in travel are assuming it will eventually be less testing, perhaps a couple of lft when return and pcr if that fails. Obviously eventually we will get back to none. Biggest thing is now Scotland makes you go to a preferred provider. They over double the price of England and most of Europe, hopefully that stops

patch1875
08-07-2021, 02:16 PM

We came back through Glencoe so stopped in Callander for some lunch, your right looks a bit run down lots of shops haven’t survived covid by the looks of it not even the Greggs! We did find a lovely place just off the high street think it was called Deli Ecosse food was lovely and nice place.

Sir David Gray
09-07-2021, 05:37 PM
Highly recommend this place - just spent 4 nights here and loved it. Already booked up to go again.

https://www.vindomoracountrylodges.co.uk/

c31
09-07-2021, 06:21 PM
Just back from a week based in Exmouth, enjoyed the piece n quiet and it was very relaxing. Great to visit other places in Devon, which are top class.

Mr Grieves
09-07-2021, 11:03 PM
We were in Dumfries and Galloway last week and it has to be the most underrated area In Scotland.

Keith_M
10-07-2021, 09:10 AM
We came back through Glencoe so stopped in Callander for some lunch, your right looks a bit run down lots of shops haven’t survived covid by the looks of it not even the Greggs! We did find a lovely place just off the high street think it was called Deli Ecosse food was lovely and nice place.

Been and there and you're right, it's very nice.

:aok:

On PB's point about the cost of simply going out for dinner in the UK versus elsewhere, me and Mrs M were actually just discussing that this morning.

We went for a meal yesterday at an Italian restaurant in Glasgow and we were comparing the costs to what we used to pay in Munich... which is not especially renowned for being cheap... and we reckon it costs us between 30-50% more to eat out now than when we stayed over there.

hibsbollah
10-07-2021, 09:40 AM
Just back from two weeks in Cornwall. This is the fortnight to do it if you’re planning around Scottish school holidays, End of June start of July it’s still relatively peaceful, but you could really feel the roads filling up over the last few days and I think when the English holidays start properly it will be absolutely rammed. So I’m not sure it’s a recommendation as such, maybe for 2022. My first time in the ancient leg of England and I’ll be back without a doubt. Beautiful, largely unspoiled, great immaculately clean beaches great food. But as others have said eating out in the UK is more expensive than the rest of the world, and not by a small amount.

Billy Whizz
10-07-2021, 11:49 AM
We were in Dumfries and Galloway last week and it has to be the most underrated area In Scotland.

Had a few holidays at Kippford/Rockcliffe over the years

AFKA5814_Hibs
10-07-2021, 10:34 PM
In Pitlochry until next Saturday with the wife and dog. Weather OK. Supposed to improve as the week goes on. Plenty of drink in our Log Cabin and loads of walks with the dog which will include many visits to the local pubs. 👍

LancashireHibby
11-07-2021, 08:06 AM
Off to York in a couple of weeks for a few days. First break for a few years that it's just me and the wife since our daughter was born.

Really looking forward to it, especially as all restrictions should be lifted dan south by then.
We went to York for a night last September. Actually quite a similar vibe to Edinburgh in some senses, with everything designed around the old architecture instead of just bulldozing it. Expensive though. Like Edinburgh, I suppose.

We had five nights in Llandudno a couple of weeks ago. Lovely and relaxing. Weather wasn’t great, but there’s something so relaxing about hearing the sea while you’re in bed.

Moulin Yarns
11-07-2021, 08:32 AM
In Pitlochry until next Saturday with the wife and dog. Weather OK. Supposed to improve as the week goes on. Plenty of drink in our Log Cabin and loads of walks with the dog which will include many visits to the local pubs. 👍

Hope you enjoy your time here. 👍

The Moulin Inn and the old mill I know are dog friendly.

My yarn studio is open today, 11 to 3, and Thursday to Saturday 11 to 4 😉

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-07-2021, 09:07 AM
Hope you enjoy your time here. 👍

The Moulin Inn and the old mill I know are dog friendly.

My yarn studio is open today, 11 to 3, and Thursday to Saturday 11 to 4 😉

Cheers. I'll try and pop by during one of our trips to the Moulin Inn. I'm sure we'll be there a few times during the week. 😀 🍺

Jakhog1
11-07-2021, 09:49 AM
Me and my family are heading down south to Newark on Trent area tommorow not far from Nottingham, anyone know of anywhere decent to stop off midway for a bit of lunch, want to avoid service stations, nice wee villagey place would be good, going to be leaving early (if I can get kids up)

Hiber-nation
11-07-2021, 11:18 AM
Me and my family are heading down south to Newark on Trent area tommorow not far from Nottingham, anyone know of anywhere decent to stop off midway for a bit of lunch, want to avoid service stations, nice wee villagey place would be good, going to be leaving early (if I can get kids up)

There are 2 nice village pubs near Thirsk that my mate frequents a lot, the Fox and Hounds in a village called Carthorpe and the Black Horse in Kirklington, both not far off the A1M.

Jakhog1
11-07-2021, 12:56 PM
There are 2 nice village pubs near Thirsk that my mate frequents a lot, the Fox and Hounds in a village called Carthorpe and the Black Horse in Kirklington, both not far off the A1M.

That's great, just had a wee look at the pubs and they get fantastic reviews, would rather go there than some drab service station, look really accessible too. Thanks

Hiber-nation
11-07-2021, 08:05 PM
That's great, just had a wee look at the pubs and they get fantastic reviews, would rather go there than some drab service station, look really accessible too. Thanks

No probs, never been in them myself but he's always raving about them on Facebook.

pollution
13-07-2021, 05:43 PM
We have a week of high summer weather coming up.

Almost guaranteed !!

Allant1981
18-07-2021, 08:19 AM
Just been over on mull for the last week staying near tobermory, was really good getting the kids out and about, we took the kayak and paddleboard with us and they were loving it, found some cracking beaches and walks as well, next to no internet or phone signal either which was a bonus

Ajo
18-07-2021, 09:36 AM
Heading down to the Lake District (staying at Ambleside) for the first time next week. Any recommendations of walks/restaurants etc?

hibsbollah
18-07-2021, 12:50 PM
Just been over on mull for the last week staying near tobermory, was really good getting the kids out and about, we took the kayak and paddleboard with us and they were loving it, found some cracking beaches and walks as well, next to no internet or phone signal either which was a bonus

We were there last October, staying at the end of the woodland walk on the north of Tobermory. What a cracking spot it was. My favourite part was the north of the island round Calgary bay. Seafood heaven as well.

Allant1981
18-07-2021, 07:38 PM
We were there last October, staying at the end of the woodland walk on the north of Tobermory. What a cracking spot it was. My favourite part was the north of the island round Calgary bay. Seafood heaven as well.

We were up in the tobermory campsite, went to calgary a couple of times with the kayak and paddleboard, seen our first sea eagle this year as well, been to mull a few times now and that the 1st we have seen, isle of harris and then barra next for us

Jones28
18-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Highly recommend this place - just spent 4 nights here and loved it. Already booked up to go again.

That looks brilliant…but the blurb on their website states they do not accept bookings for single sex groups…

Moulin Yarns
18-07-2021, 09:07 PM
That looks brilliant…but the blurb on their website states they do not accept bookings for single sex groups…

That's a bummer if you want sex with multiple people 😉

hibsbollah
18-07-2021, 09:24 PM
We were up in the tobermory campsite, went to calgary a couple of times with the kayak and paddleboard, seen our first sea eagle this year as well, been to mull a few times now and that the 1st we have seen, isle of harris and then barra next for us

Quality, it sounds like the weather up there has been unbelievable as well. Enjoy yourselves :agree:

Sir David Gray
19-07-2021, 12:40 AM

It's specifically stag and hen parties that they don't accept, if you go further into the terms and conditions you'll see it talking about single sex parties in terms of accepting bookings from them.

It certainly doesn't strike me as a place that discriminates against homosexuals.

If you're going away for a "lads" trip with 3 or 4 mates you may have some convincing to do before you'll be accepted but two guys or two girls in a relationship would have no problem being accepted from what I've seen of it.

degenerated
20-07-2021, 05:30 PM
We were up in the tobermory campsite, went to calgary a couple of times with the kayak and paddleboard, seen our first sea eagle this year as well, been to mull a few times now and that the 1st we have seen, isle of harris and then barra next for usWe went to tobermory a couple of years back, great wee place. We went between Xmas and new year and it was still pretty busy, pubs were heaving.

Went to Harris last year and absolutely loved it, midges apart. We stayed in amazing cottage in Tarbert. Was about 10 minutes or so drive to Luskentyre beach and about 40 minutes from Stornoway. Will definitely be going back there but will maybe leave it till September in the hope the midge season is over.

Currently I'm up in Balintore, not far from Tain, with a lovely beach about 100m from the place we're staying. Decent boozer by the looks of it but I haven't been in, just been sitting in the garden instead

Allant1981
21-07-2021, 03:13 PM
We went to tobermory a couple of years back, great wee place. We went between Xmas and new year and it was still pretty busy, pubs were heaving.

Went to Harris last year and absolutely loved it, midges apart. We stayed in amazing cottage in Tarbert. Was about 10 minutes or so drive to Luskentyre beach and about 40 minutes from Stornoway. Will definitely be going back there but will maybe leave it till September in the hope the midge season is over.

Currently I'm up in Balintore, not far from Tain, with a lovely beach about 100m from the place we're staying. Decent boozer by the looks of it but I haven't been in, just been sitting in the garden instead

We are staying just along from the isle of harris golf club, an amazing island

Pretty Boy
24-07-2021, 12:39 PM
Just to get away from it all for a few days I brought the bairn camping to Glen Nevis.

We arrived early yesterday and thus far she has had a ball. I think as adults we overthink how much kids actually need to have fun. The playpark in the campsite is 'the best thing ever', seeing the steam train cross the Glenfinnan viaduct was 'so cool', sleeping in a tent is 'so much fun', a couple of bits of bacon cooked on a camping stove is 'the best breakfast'.

Obviously the fact we have had 2 days of glorious sunshine has helped but I've spent a fortune on days out and holidays which she has been far less enthusiastic about.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-07-2021, 11:28 PM
Brought or took? I blame Friends. 😉

Dmas
26-07-2021, 01:53 PM
Don’t suppose anyone has any tips on bringing down the cost of Blackpool pleasure beach? I’m booking for tomorrow so saving a wee bit but for 5 of us the cost is pretty steep unsure how much we’ll actually get on once inside

Moulin Yarns
26-07-2021, 02:59 PM
Inverness for a few days. Been exploring the Black Isle, and up to Tain, then Dingwall, muir of Ord and Beauly. Weather is wonderful. 12 oil rigs in Nigg Bay.

Billy Whizz
26-07-2021, 03:31 PM
Just back from 3 nights at the Rowan Tree Hotel Aviemore. Lovely hotel, great staff and fantastic food
Only complaint we had was it was to hot!

Hibrandenburg
26-07-2021, 05:16 PM
Inverness for a few days. Been exploring the Black Isle, and up to Tain, then Dingwall, muir of Ord and Beauly. Weather is wonderful. 12 oil rigs in Nigg Bay.

Jealous! We'd planned to explore the Black Isle last year and then this year after cancelling due to Covid. Maybe next year. Any tips?

JeMeSouviens
27-07-2021, 09:18 PM
Jealous! We'd planned to explore the Black Isle last year and then this year after cancelling due to Covid. Maybe next year. Any tips?

Chanonry point for the dolphins. Rosemarkie beach along to the caves is a nice walk.

Hibrandenburg
27-07-2021, 09:50 PM
Chanonry point for the dolphins. Rosemarkie beach along to the caves is a nice walk.

Thanks, that's me off for a Google.

sleeping giant
29-07-2021, 02:48 PM
Just back from 3 days camping in Forres which included 2 nights heavy rain , thunder and lightning.

First day was decent and family fun was had. It went downhill from there :greengrin:
Ive never had a good camping experience.
Always hated it but always thought I should just get on with it for the sake of the bairns.

Camped 4 times in past 2 years and its been horrendous every time :-)

Had to take the tent down this morning in the pouring rain and its now up again in the garden to dry out.

Not giving up though. Looking for another site for next week as I want value for the money ive spent so far.
:-)

Dmas
29-07-2021, 04:07 PM
We went to pontins Southport for 5 days lasted 2 was like living on the set of shameless place was rancid as well.

decent day trip to Blackpool kids loved that, spend the rest of our days doing things at home though instead of chucking money at it down there

Moulin Yarns
29-07-2021, 04:12 PM

Ok, a bit of a delay, but I'm back.

Heading anti clockwise from the Kessock Bridge.

Blck Isle Brewery, if you like beer.

Chanonry point is a good place to spot dolphins, small car park that fills up quickly, may be better parking in fortrose (camp site?) and walking out to the point.

Rosemarkie bay, nice shallow bay that is safe for kids to swim, nice cafe, and the walk along to the caves.

Fairy Glen waterfall.

Cromarty Brewing, Davidston, if you like beer. Not in Cromarty village.

Cromarty Village.

At this point if you want to go further north there is a 2 car ferry that run in the summer to Nigg. Worth it for Tain (Glenmorangie whisky) or head west to Dingwall Dalmore distillery on the road from Nigg.

Dingwall, blink and you miss it.

Muir of Ord (guess what, whisky distillery)

Hope that gives some ideas.

Moulin Yarns
29-07-2021, 04:15 PM
Just back from 3 days camping in Forres which included 2 nights heavy rain , thunder and lightning.

First day was decent and family fun was had. It went downhill from there :greengrin:
Ive never had a good camping experience.
Always hated it but always thought I should just get on with it for the sake of the bairns.

Camped 4 times in past 2 years and its been horrendous every time :-)

Had to take the tent down this morning in the pouring rain and its now up again in the garden to dry out.

Not giving up though. Looking for another site for next week as I want value for the money ive spent so far.
:-)

I visited Brodie Country Fayre on Wednesday morning and they were pumping out the car park that was well under water.

LancashireHibby
29-07-2021, 08:40 PM
We went to pontins Southport for 5 days lasted 2 was like living on the set of shameless place was rancid as well.

decent day trip to Blackpool kids loved that, spend the rest of our days doing things at home though instead of chucking money at it down there
Used to love Pontins and Haven as a kid. Did a Hoseasons in Dorset the other year that was ok, but did a North Wales Haven and it was bordering on feral.

Dmas
29-07-2021, 09:00 PM
Used to love Pontins and Haven as a kid. Did a Hoseasons in Dorset the other year that was ok, but did a North Wales Haven and it was bordering on feral.

couple years back we used Sun holidays and went to haggerston it was good nice place clean and was about £100 for 4 days so we thought we'd try it again but haven have now stopped listing on the Sun and all that was left was Pontins places we chose Southport as we knew a day trip to Blackpool would be easy enough and the drive isnt too bad on 3 young kids, it was like a Soviet housing scheme if it wasn't for the kids id have turned round immediately, a shame as the beach was nice and I stopped off for breakfast in the Town Centre before leaving and that was also really nice but the pontins place itself was unreal

Pretty Boy
29-07-2021, 09:13 PM
couple years back we used Sun holidays and went to haggerston it was good nice place clean and was about £100 for 4 days so we thought we'd try it again but haven have now stopped listing on the Sun and all that was left was Pontins places we chose Southport as we knew a day trip to Blackpool would be easy enough and the drive isnt too bad on 3 young kids, it was like a Soviet housing scheme if it wasn't for the kids id have turned round immediately, a shame as the beach was nice and I stopped off for breakfast in the Town Centre before leaving and that was also really nice but the pontins place itself was unreal

Pontins really does seem to be in a terminal decline. There are always stories about the state the parks are in and I've heard a few Similar stories to yours from friends who have been.

Like you I've had positive experiences at Haven and wouldn't hesitate to go there again, albeit not at the prices they are charging this year.

LancashireHibby
29-07-2021, 09:27 PM
Yeah Southport itself is actually really quite nice, albeit Blackpool tends to be our go-to for a walk as it’s a much longer promenade.

We’re hopefully doing a bit of a tour in a couple of weeks but sticking to hotels for a couple of nights apiece rather than basing in a caravan park for a week. Fraction of the cost too.

Dmas
30-07-2021, 09:12 AM
Pontins really does seem to be in a terminal decline. There are always stories about the state the parks are in and I've heard a few Similar stories to yours from friends who have been.

Like you I've had positive experiences at Haven and wouldn't hesitate to go there again, albeit not at the prices they are charging this year.

Yeah the Haven place we where at was lovely and we would probably have just done the same again if it was more affordable but it was astronomical in comparison to the previous visit, I'd have happily paid double the amount as the visit was through the sun but it was way more, we ended up paying £156 for pontins through the Sun but honestly it was rotten, we cleaned it and also took our own bedding but it was really bad, that will probably put us off Pontins for good now to be honest.

Hibee87
30-07-2021, 12:06 PM
I went to haggerston a few months back, really couldn't fault it. Didn't spend any great deal of time in the complex, but what we did was fine. Great place to explore the areas around it, holy island. Seahouses, farne Islands boat trip, Alnwick etc.

Just back from a few night camping outside Inverness. I've been up that was a fair few times, usually to Aviemore but we went exploring further up this time. Ullapool to achmelvich beach, and down to fort Augustus, fort William and Glenfinnan viaduct. Simply stunning wee places up that way.

On way to London now for a few nights, never been and the exception of the Warner studios, can't say I'm looking forward to it that much

Mon Dieu4
30-07-2021, 12:17 PM
I went to haggerston a few months back, really couldn't fault it. Didn't spend any great deal of time in the complex, but what we did was fine. Great place to explore the areas around it, holy island. Seahouses, farne Islands boat trip, Alnwick etc.

Just back from a few night camping outside Inverness. I've been up that was a fair few times, usually to Aviemore but we went exploring further up this time. Ullapool to achmelvich beach, and down to fort Augustus, fort William and Glenfinnan viaduct. Simply stunning wee places up that way.

On way to London now for a few nights, never been and the exception of the Warner studios, can't say I'm looking forward to it that much

Did you find the Hermits Castle on the rocks at Achmelvic Beach? Great place to explore and right beside Suilven my favourite Mountain

Moulin Yarns
30-07-2021, 12:26 PM
Did you find the Hermits Castle on the rocks at Achmelvic Beach? Great place to explore and right beside Suilven my favourite Mountain

Is that the concrete folly?

Mon Dieu4
30-07-2021, 12:28 PM
Is that the concrete folly?

Sure is, love it up there

Moulin Yarns
30-07-2021, 01:08 PM
Sure is, love it up there

It features in a short story in the Bloody Scotland book, think it's Val Mcdermid that wrote it.

Hibee87
05-08-2021, 12:42 AM

Nae mate, drove an hour or so from ullapool, harr blew in and was freezing. Sat on beach bfor half an hour, attempted to go in the sea but was littered with jelly fish, some blue and purple looking mofos which I took to being stinging ones and we called it a day and headed back. We purchased a decent 6 man tent and plan on doing more camping so defo will be heading up again and trying to stay nearer up that way/the NC 500 route.

On a side note just back from London and surprised myself in bloody loving it. Not at all what I expected and really enjoyed myself. Camden town is something else, shame I had the bairn with me is all I'm saying 😂

cabbageandribs1875
05-08-2021, 12:55 AM
Nae mate, drove an hour or so from ullapool, harr blew in and was freezing. Sat on beach bfor half an hour, attempted to go in the sea but was littered with jelly fish 😂

saw my first ever live jellyfish standing on Ullapool Pier, hunners of them 40 years ago

doubt they're the same ones right enough, just sayin :)

Peevemor
05-08-2021, 05:27 AM
saw my first ever live jellyfish standing on Ullapool Pier, hunners of them 40 years ago

doubt they're the same ones right enough, just sayin :)Standing? I've only ever seen them floating about in the water.

Hibrandenburg
05-08-2021, 05:50 AM
Ok, a bit of a delay, but I'm back.

Heading anti clockwise from the Kessock Bridge.

Blck Isle Brewery, if you like beer.

Chanonry point is a good place to spot dolphins, small car park that fills up quickly, may be better parking in fortrose (camp site?) and walking out to the point.

Rosemarkie bay, nice shallow bay that is safe for kids to swim, nice cafe, and the walk along to the caves.

Fairy Glen waterfall.

Cromarty Brewing, Davidston, if you like beer. Not in Cromarty village.

Cromarty Village.

At this point if you want to go further north there is a 2 car ferry that run in the summer to Nigg. Worth it for Tain (Glenmorangie whisky) or head west to Dingwall Dalmore distillery on the road from Nigg.

Dingwall, blink and you miss it.

Muir of Ord (guess what, whisky distillery)

Hope that gives some ideas.

Cheers MY, that's useful.

Danderhall Hibs
24-03-2022, 12:24 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for this year? Finding everywhere a bit pricey - based on this thread last year we booked for London and it's comfortably double the price this year based on the same trains, hotels and dates.

Stairway 2 7
24-03-2022, 12:54 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for this year? Finding everywhere a bit pricey - based on this thread last year we booked for London and it's comfortably double the price this year based on the same trains, hotels and dates.

You'd be cheaper flying to Prague ect than a weekend in London all in, so overpriced their just now

Danderhall Hibs
24-03-2022, 02:12 PM
You'd be cheaper flying to Prague ect than a weekend in London all in, so overpriced their just now

Yeah - considering that.

Moulin Yarns
24-03-2022, 03:24 PM
Currently enjoying time in County Durham, a trip to the seaside today and I passed the Stadium of Light. Shirt sleeve weather. Place we are staying is surrounded by woodland and we had roe deer in the garden this morning, about 30m away. Watching birds of prey including a barn owl as the sun was going down yesterday. Britain has a lot to offer.

Stairway 2 7
24-03-2022, 03:36 PM
Currently enjoying time in County Durham, a trip to the seaside today and I passed the Stadium of Light. Shirt sleeve weather. Place we are staying is surrounded by woodland and we had roe deer in the garden this morning, about 30m away. Watching birds of prey including a barn owl as the sun was going down yesterday. Britain has a lot to offer.
If your needing a day out Beamish museum is probably the best visitor attraction I've been. Massive open air museum with loads of buildings and shops recreated from the past. It's like stepping in a time machine

s.a.m
24-03-2022, 04:27 PM
If your needing a day out Beamish museum is probably the best visitor attraction I've been. Massive open air museum with loads of buildings and shops recreated from the past. It's like stepping in a time machine

:aok: Beamish is fab! I've done it with my own family, and as a parent helper on a school trip, and everybody loved it.

Moulin Yarns
24-03-2022, 08:55 PM

Was there on Wednesday, National Glass Centre today as well as a stroll along the beach at seaburn. Getting my eyes tested at Barnard Castle tomorrow 👓

Moulin Yarns
25-03-2022, 01:37 PM
Tested my eyes with a wee road trip to Barnard Castle. Nice place, lots of small independent shops and cafes.

Sir David Gray
25-03-2022, 02:04 PM

Just back today after a week down there again. Absolutely superb, I cannot speak highly enough of the place.

Sir David Gray
25-03-2022, 02:06 PM

I was there yesterday, I did enjoy it although it wasn't the best from a wheelchair point of view. They have tried to adapt a lot of it though and it's a good day out.

Stairway 2 7
25-03-2022, 03:29 PM
I was there yesterday, I did enjoy it although it wasn't the best from a wheelchair point of view. They have tried to adapt a lot of it though and it's a good day out.

Poor in this day and age to not be totally inclusive, hopefully get it sorted

Sir David Gray
25-03-2022, 03:45 PM
Poor in this day and age to not be totally inclusive, hopefully get it sorted

To be honest it is probably one of those places where it will be hard to be completely wheelchair friendly and still retain its features due to being set so long ago.

Unfortunately life wasn't really geared up for someone in a wheelchair in the 1900s so I did expect some parts to be tricky.

They did have an old fashioned wheelchair accessible vehicle which took you round various areas which was quite good although trying to get in contact with the people in charge of it wasn't the easiest.

Really enjoyed the old fashioned shops and houses.

Stubbsy90+2
25-03-2022, 03:57 PM

Im going to Barcelona next week. £80 a night for a 4* hotel rated 8.5 or so on booking.com in the middle of the Gothic Quarter. I’ve stayed before and it’s more than nice enough.

Worked out about £50 per person for flights. Only going two nights but it’s about £130 each for 2 nights away. I think I’d struggle to get a similar standard hotel plus a train to Glasgow that for 2 nights, never mind London.

Flights are so cheap now if you can avoid paying for bags (or even share one bag between 2) that it’s usually a good bit cheaper than going somewhere in the UK, and often quicker.

Stairway 2 7
25-03-2022, 04:15 PM
Im going to Barcelona next week. £80 a night for a 4* hotel rated 8.5 or so on booking.com in the middle of the Gothic Quarter. I’ve stayed before and it’s more than nice enough.

Worked out about £50 per person for flights. Only going two nights but it’s about £130 each for 2 nights away. I think I’d struggle to get a similar standard hotel plus a train to Glasgow that for 2 nights, never mind London.

Flights are so cheap now if you can avoid paying for bags (or even share one bag between 2) that it’s usually a good bit cheaper than going somewhere in the UK, and often quicker.
Definitely. I got what can only be described as a cupboard room in London for 90 a night and not even central. I got an unreal high tech apartment in the centre of krakow for less. Flights a little dearer than train. But would be cheaper overall by the end of the first night of food and drink.

Uk is unbelievably expensive for a holiday

LancashireHibby
27-03-2022, 08:13 PM
I’ve found London hotel prices to vary wildly. Despite their reputation, I tend to swear by Travelodge as they’re always a reliable standard. Stayed in Greenwich for two nights in September (coincided with Charlton v Bolton) and paid £94 for two nights on a flexible rate and only booked about 6 weeks previously when the fixtures came out.

Similarly I’ve got a reservation for Tower Bridge Travelodge at the end of May to coincide with the rugby league cup finals and it was £176 for two nights which I don’t think is bad considering the central location and being a ‘super room’.

I’ve stayed all over the place in London and never really had an issue as it is so easy to use public transport.

All that said, I’m taking my lad and my Mrs to Berlin for four nights at Easter and it’s only cost £208 each for return flights and Hampton by Hilton hotel.

Fuzzywuzzy
28-03-2022, 07:14 PM

We stayed in a great place in barrend, Dumfries and Galloway last year. Good sized lodge, good pub on site and close to the beach.

HH81
28-03-2022, 08:17 PM
I’ve found London hotel prices to vary wildly. Despite their reputation, I tend to swear by Travelodge as they’re always a reliable standard. Stayed in Greenwich for two nights in September (coincided with Charlton v Bolton) and paid £94 for two nights on a flexible rate and only booked about 6 weeks previously when the fixtures came out.

Similarly I’ve got a reservation for Tower Bridge Travelodge at the end of May to coincide with the rugby league cup finals and it was £176 for two nights which I don’t think is bad considering the central location and being a ‘super room’.

I’ve stayed all over the place in London and never really had an issue as it is so easy to use public transport.

All that said, I’m taking my lad and my Mrs to Berlin for four nights at Easter and it’s only cost £208 each for return flights and Hampton by Hilton hotel.

I'm down for the challenge cup this year too. 2 nights in premier inn for 200 quid.

Seems an OK price for them.

LancashireHibby
31-03-2022, 09:21 PM
I'm down for the challenge cup this year too. 2 nights in premier inn for 200 quid.

Seems an OK price for them.
Can get decent prices well in advance. As soon as the dates are confirmed for next year then I’ll reserve again.

Cancelled the hotel reservation for this year though as it looks like trains aren’t running on the Sunday, so just doing Wigan-Euston day trip on the Saturday (£40 return on the train which is an absolute steal)

ErinGoBraghHFC
31-03-2022, 11:17 PM
Personally, can't beat Largs for a jolly.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-08-2022, 04:19 PM
Just back from Blair Atholl/Pitlochry, stunning places, not so impressed with the bevvy prices. 😲

AltheHibby
22-08-2022, 11:52 AM

There are specialist split ticket sites that my wife uses for Sandwell (West Bromwich way) to Perth. She regularly gets over £100 off the direct price.

It can mean changing twice between here and Haymarket, but as the changes are only seat changes on the same train she doesn't usually bother to move.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-08-2022, 12:14 PM
There are specialist split ticket sites that my wife uses for Sandwell (West Bromwich way) to Perth. She regularly gets over £100 off the direct price.

It can mean changing twice between here and Haymarket, but as the changes are only seat changes on the same train she doesn't usually bother to move.

Aye, I use splitticketing.com

LancashireHibby
26-08-2022, 07:49 PM
Aye, I use splitticketing.com
Trainsplit.com for the route for where to split and then book yourself via any of the operators and you get the same deal for no fee!

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-08-2022, 08:42 PM
Trainsplit.com for the route for where to split and then book yourself via any of the operators and you get the same deal for no fee!

Aye sorry, just assumed that that was the done thing.

Moulin Yarns
26-08-2022, 10:33 PM
Just back from Blair Atholl/Pitlochry, stunning places, not so impressed with the bevvy prices. 😲

Enough to drive you to drink 😁🍺

Squealing pig
30-08-2022, 09:29 PM
Nc500 is pretty awesome , except the midges 🤦*♂️