PDA

View Full Version : Bertie Auld

Moulin Yarns
17-06-2021, 05:42 PM
This from Celtc on twitter

💚*Bertie Auld`s family would like all #CelticFC fans and football fans in general to keep Bertie in their prayers as they confirmed today that he is suffering with Dementia. Our thoughts are with Bertie and his family 🦁🏆

And hibs

Our thoughts are with former Hibee midfielder and manager, Bertie Auld and his family🙏🏻💚

tamig
17-06-2021, 05:45 PM
Agreed. He wasn’t everyone’s favourite when manager here but he was a character. Gave me and my mates complementaries for a game at Shielfield back in the day. Horrible disease. All the best Bertie.

Iggy Pope
17-06-2021, 06:31 PM
Put us back on the back pages when we were floundering. Not an entertaining sort of manager but I’m old enough to have seen him play for the Hibs as well. Some character.

weecounty hibby
17-06-2021, 06:48 PM
Good luck to him. It was painful watching while he was with us but we as a club were struggling so couldn't have been easy for him.

CentreLine
17-06-2021, 07:03 PM
Good player for us in his twilight playing years. Not to be undermined by his sadly not being the most dynamic of managers. Can only wish him, along with all sufferers of that dreadful condition, well. Also his family and friends who are likely to ensure some very difficult times.

BILLYHIBS
17-06-2021, 07:14 PM
Sad news indeed

A silky player of true quality and vision but hard as nails underneath that smooth exterior

Quite liked him as a Manager always guaranteed us 36 points from 36 games at a time when we couldnae buy a goal

As others have said a real character

Thoughts with Bertie his family and friends

Is It On....
17-06-2021, 07:32 PM
Put us back on the back pages when we were floundering. Not an entertaining sort of manager but I’m old enough to have seen him play for the Hibs as well. Some character.

The image that springs to mind when I hear his name is off a a guy that always seemed to be pictured smoking a massive cigar.

Kato
17-06-2021, 07:37 PM

I loved him at Hibs. Him and Bobby Murdoch together at Celtic were a joy to watch. When he came to Hibs it was a few cameos really, playing wise, but still liked seeing him in a Hibernian jersey. Still liked his shtick as Hibs manager but the football not so much. I think the style reflected the budget available to him though.

O'Rourke3
17-06-2021, 07:59 PM
Very sad to hear this. Saw him play for us and he was a very decent footballer who could sort out anyone out despite their size or reputation. Too cautious as a manager though but mustvhavecbeen great fun at a night out. My big Celtic mate's favourite player. Named his dog Bertie.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
17-06-2021, 08:03 PM
Never liked him as a player, even less so as a manager.

Very sad to hear about this though, whatever my thoughts on him he was a fantastic player for them, a true Celtic legend.

He's here!
17-06-2021, 08:17 PM
The big cigars and the bunnet lent him an air of flamboyance that his Hibs teams never had. However, as with Alex Miller, he was the kind of manager who would never even have got us relegated and he did a solid enough job at a time when the club had lost its way. All the best to him.

Nice wee bit of footage of him twirling the bunnet when Hibs score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfbN5x6whuA

BILLYHIBS
17-06-2021, 08:25 PM
One of a handful of Hibernian players to have won the European Cup

tamig
17-06-2021, 09:04 PM
The big cigars and the bunnet lent him an air of flamboyance that his Hibs teams never had. However, as with Alex Miller, he was the kind of manager who would never even have got us relegated and he did a solid enough job at a time when the club had lost its way. All the best to him.

Thanks for that. I was at that game and never knew there was footage of it.

I remember him and Big Ron coming out at the start - Bertie in his camel coat and bunnet and Big Ron with his tan and a big fur coat.

The Harp
17-06-2021, 10:55 PM
Very sad to hear of Bertie's health condition. As others have said he was renowned for being a character within the Scottish game. I also heard years ago that some companies were attracted to sponsoring Hibs when he was manager because of his outgoing personality.

heretoday
17-06-2021, 11:30 PM
Those were the days when a big cigar and a car coat indicated that you were some kind of man about town. Willie Henderson was another.

Crunchie
18-06-2021, 08:01 AM

They asked for volunteers to clear the pitch that day, remember listening to the radio having breakfast.

Me and a couple of mates fired up and helped clear the snow and got free entry.

Terrible disease I hope he doesn't suffer with it long.

CMurdoch
18-06-2021, 09:04 AM
Wonderful player in his pomp.
Great, funny and kind character who has had a great life for the last 83 years.
This cruel condition won't take that away but it will be tough on his loved ones.
Best wishes to them.

GibbytheHibby2
18-06-2021, 10:03 AM
They asked for volunteers to clear the pitch that day, remember listening to the radio having breakfast.

Me and a couple of mates fired up and helped clear the snow and got free entry.

Terrible disease I hope he doesn't suffer with it long.

Jeez. I remember being at that game. I wouldn’t have thought Bertie was Hibs manager for it though. Memory seriously fading.

I do remember wearing my new jacket. My mum said not to as id get beer spilt down it (not mine - i was 12). I said you can’t take beer into football games. My dad decided we’d have a quick beer down Easter road ( I had a shandy!!). Lo and behold standing shoulder to shoulder mums prediction came true! 😂 I remember Gary Bailey playing like a juggler throughout that game.

CB Hibs 68
18-06-2021, 10:37 AM
Sorry to hear that Bertie Auld has dementia as I know from personal experience how painful it is to see a loved one suffer from this disease.Never rated him as manager though and seem to recall him describing Hibs as being a fine wee club or words to that effect.Never given him a thought since he left Hibs until now.

ancient hibee
18-06-2021, 10:53 AM
What a sad thing for someone who had such a ready wit and turn of phrase.

He was a very good player for Celtic putting Jock Stein's plans into practise on the pitch. I remember him playing for Hibs against Falkirk in the match when Arthur scored 4. It was very one sided and Bertie spent quite a few minutes limping up and down the left wing letting the bench know he couldn't continue.Suddenly a long ball was banged in his direction and Bertie was on it in a flash,ran 35 yards and thrashed it into the net. Couldn't quite manage the limp back to half way.

BILLYHIBS
18-06-2021, 11:00 AM
Remember the ‘Friendly’ versus Middlesbrough at Easter Road

Nobby Stiles came rushing in on Bertie with an over the ball challenge Bertie anticipated it but fell badly on his shoulder on the bone hard surface

Tam McNiven diagnosed a broken collar bone and he would have to come off

“ Give me five minutes” says the bold Bertie

Five minutes later Stiles is getting carried off on a stretcher

“ Ref! Sub!”

CropleyWasGod
18-06-2021, 11:46 AM
Bertie to Tiny Wharton: "Can I call you a *******, Mr. Wharton?"

TW "Certainly not, Mr.Auld"

BA "Can I think you're a *******, Mr.Wharton?"

TW "You can think what you want, Mr. Auld"

BA" Ok then, I think you're a *******."

:greengrin

heretoday
19-06-2021, 07:49 PM
I was lucky enough to see the cup final in 1965 when Auld's two goals set up the win. Massive crowd.

EI255
20-06-2021, 02:06 PM
Hibs legend. Met him once in Glasgow and he had nothing but good words about Hibernian

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk