PDA

View Full Version : NHC Cristiano Ronaldo

theonlywayisup
16-06-2021, 11:51 AM
That's him scored 106 goals in 175 international games for Portugal. What an incredible achievement?

To put that into perspective, it's taken Scotland 79 games for the men's team to have scored 106 goals going back to a 1-1 draw against Macedonia on 11th September 2012.

Since90+2
16-06-2021, 11:55 AM
That's him scored 106 goals in 175 international games for Portugal. What an incredible achievement?

To put that into perspective, it's taken Scotland 79 games for the men's team to have scored 106 goals going back to a 1-1 draw against Macedonia on 11th September 2012.

If it wasn't for his personality I reckon he'd be regarded as the best player of all time.

MWHIBBIES
16-06-2021, 12:23 PM
Unbelievable record. Great player. I personally prefer Messi but nothing between them. Best 2 ever.

calumhibee1
16-06-2021, 12:31 PM
Unbelievable record. Great player. I personally prefer Messi but nothing between them. Best 2 ever.

Agree with every word of this.

Messi just edges it for me but it really is only just and I think the two are by a considerable distance the best footballers of all time.

As this is about Ronaldo though, he’s an absolute force of nature. Wonderful player who has adapted his game so much. To be able to do that and still be up there with the very best players at his age using a style of play that he’s had to adapt to is quite simply incredible.

625 goals in the last 12 seasons for club and country. Absolutely remarkable figures.

hibbycraig
16-06-2021, 12:33 PM
He's 36. Can definitely see him playing into his 40s at a high level of he wants to.

jacomo
16-06-2021, 12:34 PM
If it wasn't for his personality I reckon he'd be regarded as the best player of all time.

It’s ironic really.

He’s become very famous and very wealthy by claiming he’s the best, but you suspect the ultimate respect he craves will always elude him.

Hibs Class
16-06-2021, 12:42 PM

From what I've read Gordon Smith could give him a run for his money! But then you cannot really compare two players from eras sixty years apart, which is why "of all time" claims will never be agreed upon.

nonshinyfinish
16-06-2021, 12:44 PM
It’s ironic really.

He’s become very famous and very wealthy by claiming he’s the best, but you suspect the ultimate respect he craves will always elude him.

While I do find him extremely unlikeable, I think it's fair to say that the primary reason for his fame and wealth is his extraordinary footballing ability.

Greenio
16-06-2021, 12:53 PM
5 ballons
5 champ leagues
1 euro
3 prem
2 la Liga
2 serie A

For me, he takes Messi for the GOAT. I think his achievements are superior

Messi is alright too tho eh

Moulin Yarns
16-06-2021, 12:53 PM
I came on thinking it was about removing the sponsor product placement at the press conference. Him and Pogba both.

seanshow
16-06-2021, 01:01 PM
If you score 106 International goals, you can call yourself anything you like I suppose. :greengrin

If he plays solely as a penalty box striker for say another 3 years, who knows 120+

Since452
16-06-2021, 02:20 PM

That's what gives him the edge on Messi for me. Astonishing.

MWHIBBIES
16-06-2021, 02:47 PM
That's what gives him the edge on Messi for me. Astonishing.

Messis record at international level isnt much worse. 73 in 145.

Smartie
16-06-2021, 02:51 PM
I came on thinking it was about removing the sponsor product placement at the press conference. Him and Pogba both.

Wiping £4bn off the price of Coca-cola in one small gesture is quite an achievement.

Cat Stanton
16-06-2021, 02:56 PM
5 ballons
5 champ leagues
1 euro
3 prem
2 la Liga
2 serie A

For me, he takes Messi for the GOAT. I think his achievements are superior

Messi is alright too tho eh

5 ballons to the 1 balloon...

Amazing player but such an arse. 'Though that said, I was pleased to hear what he did with the coke bottles at the press conference yesterday. Went up a little in my estimation (from about 0 to 0.1)

J-C
16-06-2021, 03:02 PM
Messi and Ronaldo are 2 of the greatest players to ever play, that simple, their records speaks for themselves. No matter what you think of Ronaldo you cannot deny he's outstanding especially at 36, fantastic athlete.

Since452
16-06-2021, 03:06 PM
I don't buy that he's an arse. He's donated almost one million euros to Portuguese hospitals, hundreds of thousands to a cancer centre in Portugal amongst plenty others. He also auctioned his golden boot award to help build schools in Gaza. Yes, that kind of generosity is made easier when you make that kind of money but he came from bugger all himself, got to the level he is now through an unbelievable dedication to his craft and isn't slow to give something back. An absolute inspiration and great role model for kids if you ask me and someone who has clearly become more mature with time after some terrible loss at a young age.

jacomo
16-06-2021, 03:23 PM
While I do find him extremely unlikeable, I think it's fair to say that the primary reason for his fame and wealth is his extraordinary footballing ability.

There’s no doubt about that. What I meant to say is, he has deliberately and aggressively marketed that ability and his achievements into a brand.

ScottB
16-06-2021, 03:24 PM
Feels like if Messi had Ronaldo’s work ethic and approach, there wouldn’t be a discussion to be had.

Ronaldo can say he’s the best if he likes, he’s certainly got the stats to back it up! Whether he is or not is always going to be a subjective, emotional question to ask, but he’s up there for sure.

Since90+2
16-06-2021, 03:29 PM
Feels like if Messi had Ronaldo’s work ethic and approach, there wouldn’t be a discussion to be had.

Ronaldo can say he’s the best if he likes, he’s certainly got the stats to back it up! Whether he is or not is always going to be a subjective, emotional question to ask, but he’s up there for sure.

Messi's work ethic will be similar to Ronaldo. You don't get to the absolute pinnacle of the game like both of them without being absolutely devoted to your game.

Since452
16-06-2021, 03:29 PM
Incredible we've had Messi and Ronaldo in the same era. Not even a crossover, basically the same age. We have been spoiled.

ScottB
16-06-2021, 03:36 PM
Messi's work ethic will be similar to Ronaldo. You don't get to the absolute pinnacle of the game like both of them without being absolutely devoted to your game.

I think Ronaldo is fitter, stronger and will likely be able to play on longer at the top level if he chooses to. There’s not a lot in it, but I would say Messi has a little more natural talent, but Ronaldo works a little harder.

hibbie02
16-06-2021, 03:50 PM
I think Ronaldo is fitter, stronger and will likely be able to play on longer at the top level if he chooses to. There’s not a lot in it, but I would say Messi has a little more natural talent, but Ronaldo works a little harder.

If Ronaldo plays like he did last night, he can play for years. He was a waste of a jersey for about 80 minutes, just hanging around the box, watching everyone else run. Excellent penalty and follow up goal. Great footwork. However he hasn't the pace nowadays and is lucky to have a team who can do all the running with the ball. All he wants to do now is score goals, which he is very good at.

CyberSauzee
16-06-2021, 03:52 PM
Have always looked at him in a different light after reading this 3 years ago

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/cristiano-ronaldo-new-documents-emerge-in-rape-allegations-a-1241349.html

blackpoolhibs
16-06-2021, 03:55 PM
Wiping £4bn off the price of Coca-cola in one small gesture is quite an achievement.

Hypocrite.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15293653/cristiano-ronaldo-coca-cola-advert-sponsorship-deals/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballtwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1623853020

Pagan Hibernia
16-06-2021, 03:57 PM
I don't buy that he's an arse. He's donated almost one million euros to Portuguese hospitals, hundreds of thousands to a cancer centre in Portugal amongst plenty others. He also auctioned his golden boot award to help build schools in Gaza. Yes, that kind of generosity is made easier when you make that kind of money but he came from bugger all himself, got to the level he is now through an unbelievable dedication to his craft and isn't slow to give something back. An absolute inspiration and great role model for kids if you ask me and someone who has clearly become more mature with time after some terrible loss at a young age.

Agree. He’s good and he know it. He’s also generous with his (admittedly enormous) wealth

cabbageandribs1875
16-06-2021, 04:04 PM
i once saw Ronaldo looking at himself on the big screen whilst running with the ball during play

JohnM1875
16-06-2021, 04:06 PM

Agree 100% with you.

Some people will just hate him no matter what he does and other folk hate him just cause they like Messi. So weird. Not saying anyone on this thread is like that by the way!

jacomo
16-06-2021, 04:07 PM
Hypocrite.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15293653/cristiano-ronaldo-coca-cola-advert-sponsorship-deals/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballtwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1623853020

Quite. Now that they’ve made millions from endorsing junk food, gambling and whatever else, they have a wee protest against it.

Can’t believe people buy this nonsense.

Andy74
16-06-2021, 04:16 PM
Quite. Now that they’ve made millions from endorsing junk food, gambling and whatever else, they have a wee protest against it.

Can’t believe people buy this nonsense.

Maybe he’s reflected and changed his approach to what he should be promoting?

Pagan Hibernia
16-06-2021, 04:35 PM
Agree 100% with you.

Some people will just hate him no matter what he does and other folk hate him just cause they like Messi. So weird. Not saying anyone on this thread is like that by the way!

Some Messi and Ronaldo fans are hilarious. It’s like they take any compliment for the other player as a personal insult to them.

Most people can appreciate the sublime and very different talents of both

I feel privileged to have seen both in the flesh.

calumhibee1
16-06-2021, 04:40 PM
Some Messi and Ronaldo fans are hilarious. It’s like they take any compliment for the other player as a personal insult to them.

Likewise. I had hoped to get over to see both them play again last season but COVID put paid to that. It’s definitely something I aim to do ASAP now.

DH1875
16-06-2021, 04:46 PM

I think Ronaldo will play on until the next world cup and then call it a day. Messi will be with Inter Miami then and will see out his career there.

WeeRussell
16-06-2021, 04:54 PM

I don’t know like. I’m not sure what else Messi could do to improve his game other than grow a foot taller in order to be better in the air? *

Just because he doesn’t take his top off to reveal his six-pack all that often doesn’t mean he hasn’t worked as hard. And I say that as someone who has immense respect for Ronaldo’s game, and don’t hate him as a person either.

*and probably lose some of his other attributes from being small and nippy

I think Messi is the best player I’ve ever seen kick a football. He’s like a freak in the way he plays. But there’s no denying Ronaldo is an absolute f****ng machine and his record speaks for itself.

DetroitHibs
16-06-2021, 04:54 PM
Ronaldo will finish his career as the best of all time in my opinion. Absolutely dedicated to his craft. Barely ever injured shows how much he takes care of his body. Legend.

16-06-2021, 04:55 PM
Diego is the greatest but Ronaldo is not bad

jacomo
16-06-2021, 05:09 PM

It’s the way of things these days.

No discussion, just entrenched arguments from two opposing camps. Like, say, Scottish independence or whether a Tesla is a good car. :wink:

Moulin Yarns
16-06-2021, 05:25 PM
It’s the way of things these days.

No discussion, just entrenched arguments from two opposing camps. Like, say, Scottish independence or whether a Tesla is a good car. :wink:

That's easy. Tesla is a good car if you want independence 😉

HibbyAndy
16-06-2021, 06:03 PM
Ronaldo will finish his career as the best of all time in my opinion. Absolutely dedicated to his craft. Barely ever injured shows how much he takes care of his body. Legend.

Yep Ronaldo best ever for me as well

Santa Cruz
16-06-2021, 08:39 PM
Maybe he’s reflected and changed his approach to what he should be promoting?

No doubt influenced since he became a Dad.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2021, 08:49 PM
His commitment to being the best is second to none. Of course he has natural talent but his work ethic, drive and willingness to adapt and grow are what sets him apart.

Alex Ferguson talked at length about this in his leadership book. Ronaldo was/is obsessed with sports science and making marginal gains. He trains like a beast, manages his weight to the kg and lives the life.

If I was forced to pick I'd still say I prefer Messi but Ronaldo is phenomenal. He's still performing at near his peak at 36 years old. There is a lesson there for every young player. Put the work in and you will squeeze every last drop off your ability out.

Jones28
16-06-2021, 10:44 PM
He wiped £4 billion off the value of Coca Cola after taking one of their bottles off the table at a presser and encouraged people to drink water.

Legend.

Wilson
16-06-2021, 10:46 PM
He wiped £4 billion off the value of Coca Cola after taking one of their bottles off the table at a presser and encouraged people to drink water.

Legend.

Tried it. Ruined my rum and coke....

Tosser.

The_Exile
16-06-2021, 11:52 PM
Ronaldo is the better of the two players IMO. Messi is phenomenal, Barcelona build their teams around him to amplify his talent. Don’t think Ronaldo has ever had that luxury or stability, certainly not at Real where there was a new bunch of players every year or so. All my opinion of course, both of them incredible and it’s probably the most subjective thing we can debate on, certainly from this generation of players.

MWHIBBIES
17-06-2021, 04:38 AM
Ronaldo is the better of the two players IMO. Messi is phenomenal, Barcelona build their teams around him to amplify his talent. Don’t think Ronaldo has ever had that luxury or stability, certainly not at Real where there was a new bunch of players every year or so. All my opinion of course, both of them incredible and it’s probably the most subjective thing we can debate on, certainly from this generation of players.

That's not true. Ronaldo had Benzema, Bale, Kroos, Marcelo, Isco, Ramos, Modric, Casemiro, Carvahal for years.

Barcelona are the ones who have had no consistency, especially since Neymar left

BILLYHIBS
17-06-2021, 04:43 AM
That's not true. Ronaldo had Benzema, Bale, Kroos, Marcelo, Isco, Ramos, Modric, Casemiro, Carvahal for years.

Barcelona are the ones who have had no consistency, especially since Neymar left
Andres Iniesta

MWHIBBIES
17-06-2021, 04:46 AM
Andres Iniesta

What about him?

BILLYHIBS
17-06-2021, 04:58 AM
What about him?

Always felt that Iniesta was the mortar for the bricks at Barca

They have really missed him

Neymar is too much of an individual but brilliant

Messi is simply a genius

I was just trying to help you

Chill

Since452
17-06-2021, 05:05 AM
I would like to have seen Messi try a different league. I think his style is very much suited to Barcelona and would be interesting to see how he got on elsewhere.

MWHIBBIES
17-06-2021, 05:14 AM
Always felt that Iniesta was the mortar for the bricks at Barca

They have really missed him

Neymar is too much of an individual but brilliant

Messi is simply a genius

I was just trying to help you

Chill

The inconsistency since Neymar left has been because they spent terribly trying to replace him, Dembele and Coutinho being the big ones.

Neymar was a huge loss for Barcelona.

Of course Iniesta was a big miss as well.

calumhibee1
17-06-2021, 07:17 AM

I’m not sure anyone could say that Real Madrid haven’t built their teams around Ronaldo as well. He had an incredible midfield behind him at Real and he was left on penalties and free kicks even though his record should never have allowed it (a bit like Messi with penalties).

There was an article the other day where Mourinho was saying that Ronaldo absolutely adored Benzema because he played an unselfish role that was mainly based around getting all they could out of Ronaldo. Think the suggestion was from Mourinho that he’d play a similar role for Mbappe at the Euros.

To be fair, when you’ve got players with their talent then building your team to get the best out them makes total sense.

WeeRussell
17-06-2021, 08:41 AM
I would like to have seen Messi try a different league. I think his style is very much suited to Barcelona and would be interesting to see how he got on elsewhere.

He'd have ripped the pish out of any defence, the same he does in every competition just now. Although I agree it would be entertaining to see him play for another team, I'm quite happy that he's been completely loyal (or whatever you want to call it) to Barca.. so far :wink:

Jones28
17-06-2021, 08:43 AM
Tried it. Ruined my rum and coke....

Tosser.

Is that not life telling you to drink something better? :wink:

Since90+2
17-06-2021, 08:51 AM
I never realised Ronaldo is 3 years older than Messi.

Be interesting to see if Messi is still performing to the level Ronaldo is now in 3 years time.

jacomo
17-06-2021, 09:28 AM

Legend.

You know he’s done sponsorship deals with Coca Cola in the past, yes? Plus lots of other junk food.

His sudden distaste for product placement is laughable.

jacomo
17-06-2021, 09:30 AM
His commitment to being the best is second to none. Of course he has natural talent but his work ethic, drive and willingness to adapt and grow are what sets him apart.

Alex Ferguson talked at length about this in his leadership book. Ronaldo was/is obsessed with sports science and making marginal gains. He trains like a beast, manages his weight to the kg and lives the life.

If I was forced to pick I'd still say I prefer Messi but Ronaldo is phenomenal. He's still performing at near his peak at 36 years old. There is a lesson there for every young player. Put the work in and you will squeeze every last drop off your ability out.

He’s a very different player now than when he was younger. But that’s the only way to prolong a career at the top I guess.

Keith_M
17-06-2021, 09:34 AM

Legend.

https://youtu.be/sGQ0BX3j8_E

Since452
17-06-2021, 09:54 AM
He'd have ripped the pish out of any defence, the same he does in every competition just now. Although I agree it would be entertaining to see him play for another team, I'm quite happy that he's been completely loyal (or whatever you want to call it) to Barca.. so far :wink:

Yeah i've no doubt he would have. I'm quite pleased he didn't go to a PSG or Man City tbh although Barca and their tippy tappy pish did/do my head in :greengrin.

Pilrig_Sauzee
17-06-2021, 10:07 AM
Could still do a job for us.

Pretty Boy
17-06-2021, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure it really matters if he used to do Coca Cola ads. So what?

People change. When I was in my 20s I knocked back 25-30 pints every weekend and had an unhealthy relationship with plenty other substances as well. From a Friday to a Sunday I survived on the odd take away, alcohol and **** knows what in powder and pill form. I wouldn't endorse living like that to anyone now because I know the toll it took on me physically and mentally.

Obviously I don't have the reach of someone like Ronaldo but if he has walked away from endorsing junk food and the like then surely that's a good thing? If others follow suit then even better. I'm not sure being a different person from 5, 10 or 15 years ago makes someone a hypocrite. I'd understand the accusation if he was still promoting Coca Cola but as far as I'm aware that is no longer the case.

danhibees1875
17-06-2021, 10:11 AM
Could still do a job for us.

Boyle, Doidge, and Ronaldo would be an effective front 3 - we'd get to the Europa conference group stages with that IMO.

Chorley Hibee
17-06-2021, 10:13 AM
You know he’s done sponsorship deals with Coca Cola in the past, yes? Plus lots of other junk food.

He was peddling the Herbalife pyramid scheme crap for a while too.

Peevemor
17-06-2021, 10:20 AM
Boyle, Doidge, and Ronaldo would be an effective front 3 - we'd get to the Europa conference group stages with that IMO.

Reminds me of a guy I knew whose dream front pairing was Hugo Sanchez & George McCluskey. Seriously.

WeeRussell
17-06-2021, 11:48 AM

People change. When I was in my 20s I knocked back 25-30 pints every weekend and had an unhealthy relationship with plenty other substances as well. From a Friday to a Sunday I survived on the odd take away, alcohol and **** knows what in powder and pill form. I wouldn't endorse living like that to anyone now because I know the toll it took on me physically and mentally.

Obviously I don't have the reach of someone like Ronaldo but if he has walked away from endorsing junk food and the like then surely that's a good thing? If others follow suit then even better. I'm not sure being a different person from 5, 10 or 15 years ago makes someone a hypocrite. I'd understand the accusation if he was still promoting Coca Cola but as far as I'm aware that is no longer the case.

Very good way of looking at it. I don’t believe Ronaldo is a bad guy at all. Loves himself a bit sure - but I know plenty of every day people that fall under that category. Maybe he’s obsessed with trying to be the best at what he does - as are many of the most successful people in the world, sports or otherwise.

He’s an incredible talent. I just happen to think Messi is the best I’ve seen.

blackpoolhibs
17-06-2021, 12:05 PM

Fergie says he's been like a machine since he was a boy, not putting anything into his body that was not good for him, but he did not mind putting the millions they paid him to endorse these products into his bank account.

It is a lot easier to knock these company's if you are a multi millionaire, but i think it does make him a hypocrite for knocking them, perhaps he should give them all the money back now if he's that opposed to their products? :greengrin

jacomo
17-06-2021, 12:27 PM
Fergie says he's been like a machine since he was a boy, not putting anything into his body that was not good for him, but he did not mind putting the millions they paid him to endorse these products into his bank account.

It is a lot easier to knock these company's if you are a multi millionaire, but i think it does make him a hypocrite for knocking them, perhaps he should give them all the money back now if he's that opposed to their products? :greengrin

:agree:

He wants it both ways, like so many celebrities.

Billy Whizz
17-06-2021, 03:54 PM
McGinn having a wee 😂
https://twitter.com/scotlandsky/status/1405443689007267841?s=21

speedy_gonzales
17-06-2021, 04:24 PM
McGinn having a wee 😂

He really should have pulled out a can of Tennents or Irn-Bru!

Keith_M
17-06-2021, 04:50 PM

Forgive me for not getting behind the campaign to make him "Saint Ronald of O", but I personally think he's only p1ssed off at Coca Cola because they don't give him any sponsorship money any more.

Jones28
17-06-2021, 07:08 PM

I don’t give a ****. I liked what he did in the press conference. Because he’s done things in the past means he needs to keep doing them, otherwise he’s just a hypocrite?

I’m not one for painting footballers as moral arbiters.

jacomo
17-06-2021, 07:25 PM
I don’t give a ****. I liked what he did in the press conference. Because he’s done things in the past means he needs to keep doing them, otherwise he’s just a hypocrite?

I’m not one for painting footballers as moral arbiters.

He probably moved the coke bottle because he wasn’t happy with the terms of their latest contract offer. I doubt there was much in the way of morals involved.

jacomo
17-06-2021, 07:25 PM

Forgive me for not getting behind the campaign to make him "Saint Ronald of O", but I personally think he's only p1ssed off at Coca Cola because they don't give him any sponsorship money any more.

Ah, you beat me to it. I’m sure you are right.

Jones28
17-06-2021, 07:56 PM
He probably moved the coke bottle because he wasn’t happy with the terms of their latest contract offer. I doubt there was much in the way of morals involved.

I don’t know why I’m even getting involved, I couldn’t give a **** really I thought it was nice to see £4b get wiped off the value of a corporation with the movement of a single bottle.

jacomo
18-06-2021, 07:37 AM
I don’t know why I’m even getting involved, I couldn’t give a **** really I thought it was nice to see £4b get wiped off the value of a corporation with the movement of a single bottle.

Oh I agree with you there. Coca Cola are nothing but a malign influence on the world, I won’t shed any tears for them.

All I am saying is that Ronaldo is a multi national brand and business these days too, who has raked in millions from junk food endorsements. (Apparently he makes more per year from Instagram than playing football.)

He’s not some freedom fighter making a principled stand against The Man here.

DH1875
18-06-2021, 09:24 AM
I never realised Ronaldo is 3 years older than Messi.

Be interesting to see if Messi is still performing to the level Ronaldo is now in 3 years time.

He will be at Inter Miami in a couple of years so I doubt it.

calumhibee1
18-06-2021, 09:29 AM
He will be at Inter Miami in a couple of years so I doubt it.

That’s the second time I’ve saw that suggested on here (not sure if you suggested it first time).

Why will he be there?

worcesterhibby
18-06-2021, 09:41 AM
Ronaldo is arrogant, self centered and egostistical....of course he is..there's no way he would be the player he is without that. There are lots of footballers who are nicer than Ronaldo, I personally don't think there are any that have proved to be better. His consistent success at different clubs and in different leagues and his better International record make him the GOAT for me ahead of Messi and and bunch of others. If he was my next door neighbour or was dating my daughter I would care about his personality...he isn't :greengrin so I don't give a hoot... as a footballer he is magnificent to watch.

One Day Soon
18-06-2021, 09:42 AM
McGinn having a wee 😂

Just when you think it isn't possible to love John McGinn any more than you already do.

I used to think Messi was the better of the two. I now think Ronaldo is markedly the superior for the range, depth and length of achievements. I also think he conducts himself the better of the two.

jacomo
18-06-2021, 09:44 AM
That’s the second time I’ve saw that suggested on here (not sure if you suggested it first time).

Why will he be there?

$$$

Maybe they’ll both end up there as a dream team.

DH1875
18-06-2021, 09:46 AM

Why will he be there?

Yeah I mentioned earlier.

I'm in the know lol. Its a done deal 👍

Saint Hibee
18-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Have always looked at him in a different light after reading this 3 years ago

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/cristiano-ronaldo-new-documents-emerge-in-rape-allegations-a-1241349.html

This. How this got swept so completely under the carpet, I'll never know. The fact the Las Vegas police department "misplaced" the material evidence against him after a visit from his legal team raises the eyebrows to say the least.

jacomo
18-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Just when you think it isn't possible to love John McGinn any more than you already do.

I used to think Messi was the better of the two. I now think Ronaldo is markedly the superior for the range, depth and length of achievements. I also think he conducts himself the better of the two.

In terms of stats and achievements Ronaldo is moving out ahead of Messi, no doubt. Success at international level is the biggest differentiator imo. And his longevity is remarkable, although he is clearly blessed with good genes as well as an incredible work ethic.

Still tho… while Ronaldo is an exceptional footballer, he does all the things you expect footballers to do, but at a very high level.

In his prime, Messi did things I didn’t think it was possible for a footballer to do. They say all great players play at their own pace but he seemed able to impose his rhythm on the entire game, to change the way you think the game should be played.

One Day Soon
18-06-2021, 09:55 AM
In terms of stats and achievements Ronaldo is moving out ahead of Messi, no doubt. Success at international level is the biggest differentiator imo. And his longevity is remarkable, although he is clearly blessed with good genes as well as an incredible work ethic.

Still tho… while Ronaldo is an exceptional footballer, he does all the things you expect footballers to do, but at a very high level.

In his prime, Messi did things I didn’t think it was possible for a footballer to do. They say all great players play at their own pace but he seemed able to impose his rhythm on the entire game, to change the way you think the game should be played.

I agree, with the exception of international football. Ronaldo seems able to rise to the occasion in those circumstances without the volume of other quality players around him in a way that Messi does not.

worcesterhibby
18-06-2021, 10:42 AM
I agree, with the exception of international football. Ronaldo seems able to rise to the occasion in those circumstances without the volume of other quality players around him in a way that Messi does not.

Ronaldo is an exceptional striker of the ball, he is also an exceptional header of the ball..I don't think anyone has come close to doing both as well as he does. Messi is certainly better at dribbling, particularly now that Ronaldo has lost some pace.

MWHIBBIES
18-06-2021, 11:17 AM
Yeah I mentioned earlier.

I'm in the know lol. Its a done deal 👍

Do you actually think it's a done deal? Because it definitely isn't.

That could never be kept secret. And he hasn't sorted out where he is next season never mind in a few years.

MWHIBBIES
18-06-2021, 11:20 AM

If Higuain didn't miss sitters in 3 finals, we're talking about Messi winning 2 copas and a world cup. Messi has played better in his 3 international finals that Ronaldo in his 2. Ronaldo came off in the euro final before he'd done anything, how exactly did he rise to the occasion? His team won it.

jacomo
18-06-2021, 11:26 AM
If Higuain didn't miss sitters in 3 finals, we're talking about Messi winning 2 copas and a world cup. Messi has played better in his 3 international finals that Ronaldo in his 2. Ronaldo came off in the euro final before he'd done anything, how exactly did he rise to the occasion? His team won it.

His shouting and pointing from the sidelines was exceptional though!

:wink:

DH1875
18-06-2021, 12:56 PM
Do you actually think it's a done deal? Because it definitely isn't.

That could never be kept secret. And he hasn't sorted out where he is next season never mind in a few years.

It's 100% a done deal. Its actually a deal with Barca but as part of the deal he will go to Miami in 2 years time for 2 years.

DH1875
18-06-2021, 12:57 PM
It's 100% a done deal. Its actually a deal with Barca but as part of the deal he will go to Miami in 2 years time for 2 years.

Not that much of a secret either. Google is your friend lol.

MWHIBBIES
18-06-2021, 12:57 PM

No chance that is done. He is out of contract with Barcelona in a few weeks (new deal will be agreed) so how exactly could that work?

Some rumours on the Internet is a long way from being 100% done. Could well happen, but Messi is not silly enough to agree 2 years ahead of time to that. He will still be a world class player then.

DH1875
18-06-2021, 01:22 PM
No chance that is done. He is out of contract with Barcelona in a few weeks (new deal will be agreed) so how exactly could that work?

Some rumours on the Internet is a long way from being 100% done. Could well happen, but Messi is not silly enough to agree 2 years ahead of time to that. He will still be a world class player then.

You've went from no chance to could well happen lol.

He has just bought a £5 million house there and;

" I would like to play in the United States and experience life and the league there, but ultimately come back to Barcelona in some capacity".
Direct quote from him.

MWHIBBIES
18-06-2021, 01:29 PM
You've went from no chance to could well happen lol.

He has just bought a £5 million house there and;

" I would like to play in the United States and experience life and the league there, but ultimately come back to Barcelona in some capacity".
Direct quote from him.

I said there is no chance that is already agreed, especially not involving Barcelona. He is a free agent in 2 weeks. He was leaving Barcelona 6 months ago. Tried to leave very publicly last summer.

It could happen, but I really don't think the best player in the world is planning 2 years ahead to go to the USA when he could still be a top top player.

As I say mate, it could happen. There is very little to suggest it is a currently done deal.

One Day Soon
18-06-2021, 02:03 PM

File under 'if my auntie had baws she'd be my uncle'. Are we still allowed to say that these days?

MWHIBBIES
18-06-2021, 02:33 PM
File under 'if my auntie had baws she'd be my uncle'. Are we still allowed to say that these days?

Of course. It's just a ridiculous argument to separate the 2 best players ever. Ronaldo is ahead based on a game came off injured in after 25 minutes or something.

Since452
19-06-2021, 05:00 PM
Phenomenal again

majorhibs
19-06-2021, 05:16 PM
Of course. It's just a ridiculous argument to separate the 2 best players ever. Ronaldo is ahead based on a game came off injured in after 25 minutes or something.

Best 2 ever? You saw them aw? Di Stefano etc? What about as mentioned before our own Gordon Smith?

Pedantic_Hibee
19-06-2021, 05:27 PM
Best 2 ever? You saw them aw? Di Stefano etc? What about as mentioned before our own Gordon Smith?

Don’t engage. He’ll argue all day long and grind you down to submission.

Kato
19-06-2021, 05:29 PM
Don’t engage. He’ll argue all day long and grind you down to submission.There is no definitive answer to an ineffable question.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

The Spaceman
19-06-2021, 05:40 PM
Think peak Messi is the greatest player ever to play the game by a distance - his form between 2009-2012 was simply god-like. Ronaldo goes down at the greatest goal scorer ever and Messi the greatest footballer. Ronaldo is the better athlete so will probably have more longevity and therefore stats than Messi. Both an utter privilege to watch. I’ve only seen CR7 play live but would love to get a chance to see Leo.

Lancs Harp
19-06-2021, 05:51 PM
Messi has done nowt in these Euros.

:wink::greengrin

J-C
19-06-2021, 07:06 PM

🤣🤣

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 07:33 AM

No one has seen them all. Its just my opinion obviously. All things considered, they are the best 2 ever. Footballers are at the highest standard they've ever been and those 2 have been the best for over a decade.

I can't imagine Smith would make a top 100 outside of Hibs fans. No idea as I've never seen him.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 07:34 AM

So I just argue with myself? Or do I reply to the replies?

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 07:38 AM
🤣🤣

It doesn't take much to grind you down tbh. A toddler like strop from you and a rant about blocking me is never far away :faf:

BILLYHIBS
20-06-2021, 07:38 AM

Pele

Even Messi and Ronaldo will tell you Pele was GOAT!

calumhibee1
20-06-2021, 07:40 AM
No one has seen them all. Its just my opinion obviously. All things considered, they are the best 2 ever. Footballers are at the highest standard they've ever been and those 2 have been the best for over a decade.

I remember there was a thread a while ago on here and people kept claiming that the physical differences between players now and players of yesteryear were minuscule.

I can’t remember the exact figures now but I did post them on the thread. Players in Peles era ran something like 7.5km a game yet Bobby Madden refereeing in the SPFL now runs about 10.5km a game so you can imagine what the players do.

Players nowadays would make players of old look wholly inadequate physically and that’s before getting to their hugely improved technique.

marinello59
20-06-2021, 07:43 AM
Pele

And Pele said George Best was the greatest ever. And he should know. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 07:43 AM
Pele

They wouldn't.

Pele played in a totally different era with generally poor opposition.

calumhibee1
20-06-2021, 07:44 AM
Pele

I think it’s safe to say Ronaldo would say he himself was the greatest ever.

Messi, well I could imagine him being a bit more modest about things but I’d hazard a guess he’d go for Maradona.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 07:44 AM
And Pele said George Best was the greatest ever. And he should know. :greengrin

Pele put El Hadji Diouf on his top 100 players ever. His opinion is rubbish tbh.

BILLYHIBS
20-06-2021, 07:47 AM
They wouldn't.

Pele played in a totally different era with generally poor opposition.

:yawn:

Greatest in my eyes but just in my opinion and I of course respect yours :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 07:50 AM

I remember there was a thread a while ago on here and people kept claiming that the physical differences between players now and players of yesteryear were minuscule.

I can’t remember the exact figures now but I did post them on the thread. Players in Peles era ran something like 7.5km a game yet Bobby Madden now runs about 10.5km a game so you can imagine what the players do.

Players nowadays would make players of old look wholly inadequate physically.

This is it.

I totally respect the opinions of older guys. I will no doubt look back when I'm older and believe that the players I saw were the best. When you take everything into account though, players today are simply a much better standard.

Same for any sport. It's frightening how much better snooker players for example are now. Compare the amount of century breaks to the 80s.

Since90+2
20-06-2021, 07:51 AM
Ronaldo and Messi are the best ever. As with a lot of things in life you tend to look back on yesteryear with rose tinted glasses which is why the older generation claim Pele ect were the best.

BILLYHIBS
20-06-2021, 07:59 AM
I think it’s safe to say Ronaldo would say he himself was the greatest ever.

Messi, well I could imagine him being a bit more modest about things but I’d hazard a guess he’d go for Maradona.

Gordy M
20-06-2021, 08:09 AM
This is it.

I totally respect the opinions of older guys. I will no doubt look back when I'm older and believe that the players I saw were the best. When you take everything into account though, players today are simply a much better standard.

Same for any sport. It's frightening how much better snooker players for example are now. Compare the amount of century breaks to the 80s.

Not sure about that, maybe you could name the golfers at the moment who would beat Tiger or Jack Niclaus in their day?

Northernhibee
20-06-2021, 08:12 AM
SCOTTISH CUPS

Messi - 0
Ronaldo - 0
Pele - 0
Lewis Stevenson - 1 (plus a league cup and Scottish Championship medal, none of the others can claim that either).

I rest my case.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 08:13 AM
Not sure about that, maybe you could name the golfers at the moment who would beat Tiger or Jack Niclaus in their day?

I personally don't know much about golf, only really watch the bigger tournaments and the ryder cup. Never even realy seen highlights of Jack Niclaus. Seen a bit of woods in his prime and he was clearly the best player around then. I wouldn't really consider his era too much different from the current one. I'm talking about the difference between 70/80s till now. Would imagine the general standard is higher.

Greenbeard
20-06-2021, 08:30 AM
I personally don't know much about golf, only really watch the bigger tournaments and the ryder cup. Never even realy seen highlights of Jack Niclaus. Seen a bit of woods in his prime and he was clearly the best player around then. I wouldn't really consider his era too much different from the current one. I'm talking about the difference between 70/80s till now. Would imagine the general standard is higher.
Would like to see Woods, De Chambeau, Koepka etc try and play a tournament with the clubs that Nicklaus used, or further back, the likes of Hogan. Actual wooden headed drivers and tiny heads compared to today's monstrous technical clubs.
Mind you in the press of the 60s, old codgers back then were probably saying "I'd like to see Nicklaus play with the wooden shafted clubs and feathery balls that Old Tom Morris used."
Or to get back on track, how skilful would Ronaldo and Messi be with a sodden heavy laced leather panel ball on a mudbath of a pitch and with horizontal freezing rain for good measure. I'd go for Messi.

DH1875
20-06-2021, 08:44 AM
Pele

Not a chance in the world either of them would say that.

Scouse Hibee
20-06-2021, 08:46 AM

But he missed and we’re not talking about him winning all three 😂

DH1875
20-06-2021, 08:47 AM
Pablo Aimar was Messi idol crowing up. He will tell you that the most star struck he's ever been was when he met him for the first time. That's some going considering he's met some famous people, not just footballers lol.

The_Exile
20-06-2021, 08:50 AM
Could any of these players do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke? Nut, nae danger. Therefore Peter Crouch is the best player of his generation.

J-C
20-06-2021, 08:51 AM
Not a chance in the world either of them would say that.

It's impossible to say who would be GOAT as there are so many brilliant players through the decades and all wonderful in their own right. Maradona, Pele, Best, Ronaldinho, Puskas etc.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 09:02 AM
But he missed and we’re not talking about him winning all three 😂

Of course. So a random striker scoring from 30 yards, his first ever Portugal goal, is an actual argument for Ronaldo over Messi? I think that's silly, that's all I'm saying.

There are plenty of good arguments for Ronaldo. The international one doesn't have much to stand on either way. Both have been brilliant for their national teams.

Eyrie
20-06-2021, 09:31 AM
Modern players are undoubtedly better athletes than than their predecessors thanks to advances in sports science, but when it comes to saying who the best of all time is you can only make a meaningful comparison between (say) di Stefano, Maradona, Messi, Puskas and Ronaldo by looking at how dominant and respected they each were in their own era.

calumhibee1
20-06-2021, 09:34 AM
Modern players are undoubtedly better athletes than than their predecessors thanks to advances in sports science, but when it comes to saying who the best of all time is you can only make a meaningful comparison between (say) di Stefano, Maradona, Messi, Puskas and Ronaldo by looking at how dominant and respected they each were in their own era.

I’d agree to an extent with that. It’s not really fair to compare older players with Messi and Ronaldo as they simply don’t stand a chance. Messi and Ronaldo are superior in every department. Modern sport science, nutrition etc have contributed greatly to that.

There’s an argument to be had that to be the best ever though that you need to be furthest ahead of your peers. With that in mind, the debate probably becomes a bit of a closer run thing. Messi and Ronaldo would even still be up there though using that measure.

Pagan Hibernia
20-06-2021, 10:11 AM
Pele put El Hadji Diouf on his top 100 players ever. His opinion is rubbish tbh.

Very true.

I remember Pele tipping Colombia to win the 1994 World Cup and everyone latching on to that as if it was some kind of amazing prophecy from a great oracle. Colombia were dumped out in the group stage.

I can’t understand why people think that just because someone was a great footballer, their opinions are untouchable. Many amazing players are very poor tactically when they take on managerial roles.

That said, Pele wasn’t that far wide of the mark on George Best. In my opinion.

marinello59
20-06-2021, 10:17 AM

About as valid as ours then. :greengrin
I don’t think he was wrong about Best. You can argue that modern players are better because of their increased athleticism but you could also argue the ‘old timers’ were better because they had to contend with pitches that were like ploughed parks and tackles that would get you arrested now.

Andy74
20-06-2021, 10:58 AM
I don’t think he was wrong about Best. You can argue that modern players are better because of their increased athleticism but you could also argue the ‘old timers’ were better because they had to contend with pitches that were like ploughed parks and tackles that would get you arrested now.

It is also ignoring the fact that Pele was an outstanding physical specimen and of course football is not purely about athleticism.

Humans haven’t moved on, science and equipment have. It would take the likes of Pele a bit of training and nutrition to catch up but really, the difference is being hugely overplayed. Talking about distances covered etc doesn’t show you what the players were capable of, just how the game was played. Pele’s 100m time 60 years ago would still be pretty impressive today.

calumhibee1
20-06-2021, 11:13 AM
It is also ignoring the fact that Pele was an outstanding physical specimen and of course football is not purely about athleticism.

Humans haven’t moved on, science and equipment have. It would take the likes of Pele a bit of training and nutrition to catch up but really, the difference is being hugely overplayed. Talking about distances covered etc doesn’t show you what the players were capable of, just how the game was played. Pele’s 100m time 60 years ago would still be pretty impressive today.

So despite the science and equipment moving on humans haven’t managed to make any use of it and haven’t moved on at all? :confused:

Of course humans have moved on. Footballers now are absolutely miles ahead of their predecessors physically and are also much better technically and tactically.

The distance thing does show what players were capable of. Unless of course they were all just not trying a leg in the 70s then 7.5km or so a game is exactly what they were capable of. The game was played at a pace they could handle, they didn’t just all play at a half arsed pace for the sake of it.

Andy74
20-06-2021, 11:27 AM
So despite the science and equipment moving on humans haven’t managed to make any use of it and haven’t moved on at all? :confused:

Of course humans have moved on. Footballers now are absolutely miles ahead of their predecessors physically and are also much better technically and tactically.

The distance thing does show what players were capable of. Unless of course they were all just not trying a leg in the 70s then 7.5km or so a game is exactly what they were capable of. The game was played at a pace they could handle, they didn’t just all play at a half arsed pace for the sake of it.

No, humans haven’t evolved significantly in 60 years.

There was a study done on Pele’s physical fitness, I think in the 70s. His heart rate, when playing, was much lower than most players now, his 100m time was comparable or better than most players now, his standing leap wasn’t far off Michael Jordan. He was extraordinary, which is why we are still talking about him now.

With modern approaches to training and nutrition he’d only improve on that but was already capable then of coping with today’s game.

calumhibee1
20-06-2021, 11:29 AM
No, humans haven’t evolved significantly in 60 years.

There was a study done on Pele’s physical fitness, I think in the 70s. His heat rate, when playing, was much lower than most players now, his 100m time was comparable or better than most players now, his standing leap wasn’t far off Michael Jordan. He was extraordinary, which is why we are still talking about him now.

With modern approaches to training and nutrition he’d only improve on that but was already capable then of coping with today’s game.

That same study also said he could hover.

Forgive me for being dubious about a guy who counts friendly goals in his totals and has people claiming he can do something that gravity would have something to say about.

Andy74
20-06-2021, 11:36 AM
That same study also said he could hover.

Forgive me for being dubious about a guy who counts friendly goals in his totals and has people claiming he can do something that gravity would have something to say about.

In the same sense that people say that the likes of Jordan, Ronaldo, Bale etc can hold their jump.

His attributes were all measured.

You sound a bit like you were born 5 minutes ago and don’t think that any humans before us have been capable of anything. The science around sport has helped a bit but physically capable human beings have been around for thousands of years.

calumhibee1
20-06-2021, 11:38 AM
In the same sense that people say that the likes of Jordan, Ronaldo, Bale etc can hold their jump.

His attributes were all measured.

You sound a bit like you were born 5 minutes ago and don’t think that any humans before us have been capable of anything. The science around sport has helped a bit but physically capable human beings have been around for thousands of years.

And physically humans have evolved over those thousands of years.

The world record times in the early 70s for 100m wouldn’t even qualify you for Olympics now. The very best in that sport wouldn’t even get to take part at the top level nowadays. The marathon is won about 8 or 9 minutes quicker now than it was in the 70s. Referees run around 140% of the distance of pro footballers in the 70s. Humans have physically came on leaps and bounds now and run faster for longer with power and strength that is simply on another level from the 70s. To suggest that humans haven’t improved on these things since the 70s is laughable.

Let’s keep in mind that there’s more money in football than these sports can only dream of. Yet apparently football hasn’t managed to make use of the advancements these sports have when they’ve got 10s if not 100s of times the money to invest in doing it?

Out of interest, how was peles heart rate monitored during play in the 70s?

For all that I ‘sound like I was born yesterday’ you seem very willing to just accept a bunch of random and vague statistics given regarding a guy who has an incredibly dubious past with statistics. Conveniently ran 100m in bang on 11 seconds. Yeah, someone’s been rounding up the numbers at best there or potentially even just estimating.

There’s even a claim he can jump 6 feet high. That would put him at 11ft8 inches. 3 and a half feet higher than the cross bar. It’s laughable really, his ‘stats’ are nothing short of a farce. To put that utterly ridiculous claim into perspective, Michael Jordan could jump 48”, 4 feet.

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2021, 11:58 AM
Ronaldo and Messi have more than double Bests goals. They are clearly better.

I know stats only tell you so much, but scoring hundreds of goals more than players is enough to tell me they were better.

BILLYHIBS
20-06-2021, 12:07 PM
Pele

Gordon Smith

George Best

Maradona

Messi

Ronaldo

:cb

Hibbyradge
20-06-2021, 12:08 PM
It's ridiculous to suggest players today are better, fitter and faster than they were in the 70s.

I was never all that quick, but I'm slow as funk now and don't ask me to sprint for a bus never mind a ball!

BILLYHIBS
20-06-2021, 12:12 PM
It's ridiculous to suggest players today are better, fitter and faster than they were in the 70s.

I was never all that quick, but I'm slow as funk now and don't ask me to sprint for a bus never mind a ball!

Aye Messi’s better than Pele but Pele is 80 now :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2021, 12:16 PM
Aye Messi’s better than Pele but Pele is 80 now :greengrin

There's a line in there about keepie uppie :greengrin

DH1875
20-06-2021, 12:16 PM
It's impossible to say who would be GOAT as there are so many brilliant players through the decades and all wonderful in their own right. Maradona, Pele, Best, Ronaldinho, Puskas etc.

Yeah but I know who Messi thinks is the best player of all time is and it's none of those lol. Its no Pablo Aimar either for what its worth 😆.

J-C
20-06-2021, 01:30 PM
Yeah but I know who Messi thinks is the best player of all time is and it's none of those lol. Its no Pablo Aimar either for what its worth 😆.

Which is my point, it's all subjective just like who is the greatest golfer, rugby player, etc. For me the greatest ever golfer was Seve but Palmer, Nicklaus and Player were greats also.

BILLYHIBS
25-06-2021, 09:29 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo meets Piers Morgan tonight ITV 11.10 pm

HoboHarry
25-06-2021, 09:37 PM
I'm the greatest player of all time. Prove me wrong ya bunch o' bams......

BILLYHIBS
25-06-2021, 09:41 PM
Interviewed by the greatest interviewer of all time :rolleyes:

marinello59

You are no Chico McHardy.

cabbageandribs1875
i watched a video earlier of Ronaldo, looked like it was his present club, defender puts his arm a little towards the bottom of his neck, Ronaldo falls to the ground clutching his eyes, rolls about a few times.........pathetic cheating git, great footballer, but..

BILLYHIBS
25-06-2021, 09:43 PM
On other channels Radiohead Glastonbury 1997 BBC2 :greengrin

HoboHarry
25-06-2021, 09:56 PM
You are no Chico McHardy.

That made me laugh out loud there. I could pass the ball better than he ever could mind you......

Glory Lurker
25-06-2021, 10:06 PM

Belter of a gig.

Lancs Harp
25-06-2021, 10:11 PM

Sex Pistols
Radiohead Glastonbury
REM Glastonbury

BBC2/4 great nights music

marinello59
25-06-2021, 10:17 PM
:greengrin
That made me laugh out loud there. I could pass the ball better than he ever could mind you......

He didn’t need to be able to pass…he could never find a player he thought was better than himself to pass to.:greengrin

heretoday
25-06-2021, 10:49 PM
It's all about speed at the end of the day and Ronaldo is the speedy man.

HoboHarry
26-06-2021, 01:10 AM
:greengrin

He didn’t need to be able to pass…he could never find a player he thought was better than himself to pass to.:greengrin
Remember Aberdeen playing Elgin in a midweek friendly, I think to get Mark McGhee some playing time after an injury. About two minutes in big Chico booted McGhee up in the air and about two minutes after that Chico was absolutely cemented by Neale Cooper, another hardy b*****d. Cooper leaned over him and said "this isna the f*****g Highland league your playing here 😂😂😂

marinello59
26-06-2021, 05:37 AM
Remember Aberdeen playing Elgin in a midweek friendly, I think to get Mark McGhee some playing time after an injury. About two minutes in big Chico booted McGhee up in the air and about two minutes after that Chico was absolutely cemented by Neale Cooper, another hardy b*****d. Cooper leaned over him and said "this isna the f*****g Highland league your playing here 😂😂😂

Superb. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
26-06-2021, 11:25 AM
i watched a video earlier of Ronaldo, looked like it was his present club, defender puts his arm a little towards the bottom of his neck, Ronaldo falls to the ground clutching his eyes, rolls about a few times.........pathetic cheating git, great footballer, but..

Like every footballer then really.

Swedish hibee
26-06-2021, 02:04 PM
Ronaldo for me. The man is a machine. His desire to still win after everything he's achieved. Would love them to beat Belgium.

The Pointer
26-06-2021, 10:18 PM

Saw that. Talented footballer but a narcissistic cheat.

Is It On....
27-06-2021, 02:17 PM
Sex Pistols
Radiohead Glastonbury
REM Glastonbury

BBC2/4 great nights music

The Sky Docu on Joan Jett and the Runaways is brilliant.

Jim44
27-06-2021, 08:06 PM
His narcissistic viewing of the big screen is so annoying. Occasionally it might be for footballing interest but it’s usually for personal vanity.

JohnM1875
27-06-2021, 08:08 PM
His narcissistic viewing of the big screen is so annoying. Occasionally it might be for footballing interest but it’s usually for personal vanity.

How on earth could anyone possibly know that?

Jim44
27-06-2021, 08:18 PM
How on earth could anyone possibly know that?

Why do you look in the mirror? Don’t tell me that nobody else has made similar comments about him. Even when the teams came out for the second half he was looking up at the screen. So don’t give me the ‘how on earth nonsense ......’. :greengrin

JohnM1875
27-06-2021, 08:21 PM
Why do you look in the mirror? Don’t tell me that nobody else has made similar comments about him. Even when the teams came out for the second half he was looking up at the screen. So don’t give me the ‘how on earth nonsense ......’. :greengrin

I don't have any mirrors in my house cauese of how hideously repugnant I look.

But everyone who knows Ronaldo personally speak about his will to win and that's all he cares about. So I really doubt, with his country losing in a last 16 game, he'll be looking at the screen to check of his hairs decent. But then again, I don't know if that's the case either!

calumhibee1
27-06-2021, 08:33 PM
For all he’s an incredible player, Ronaldo is murder at free kicks.

DH1875
27-06-2021, 08:34 PM
His eye brows are magnificent

Big_Franck
27-06-2021, 09:16 PM
For all he’s an incredible player, Ronaldo is murder at free kicks.

Always has been. His scoring rate from free kicks has always been horrendous. People still talk about a free kick he scored against Portsmouth about 15 years ago in discussions about his ability at free kicks.

calumhibee1
27-06-2021, 09:21 PM
Always has been. His scoring rate from free kicks has always been horrendous. People still talk about a free kick he scored against Portsmouth about 15 years ago in discussions about his ability at free kicks.

It’s pitiful. Same thing happens with Messi and pens. Both their teams would be better served with other players taking free kicks instead of Ronaldo and pens instead of Messi.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2021, 09:29 PM

It’s pitiful. Same thing happens with Messi and pens. Both their teams would be better served with other players taking free kicks instead of Ronaldo and pens instead of Messi.

Pretty sure Messi had an above average penalty rate. 77 scored from 100. Average is 75% I think.

Still not good, and he's missed a few big ones, but he's far from bad at them.

calumhibee1
28-06-2021, 06:37 AM
Pretty sure Messi had an above average penalty rate. 77 scored from 100. Average is 75% I think.

Still not good, and he's missed a few big ones, but he's far from bad at them.

Might be because he’s so good at everything else it seems low then :agree:

heretoday
28-06-2021, 08:58 AM
I never see many goals from free kicks outside the box. Half the time they sail over the bar.

danhibees1875
28-06-2021, 09:21 AM
I never see many goals from free kicks outside the box. Half the time they sail over the bar.

I think the conversion rate is about 6% or so.

Pagan Hibernia
28-06-2021, 09:21 AM

It’s like Roberto Carlos. One bendy free kick in a game for brazil and he had the reputation of a free kick expert. I never saw him score one after that, and probably dozens of attempts

Pagan Hibernia
28-06-2021, 09:22 AM

I’ve yet to see a more consistent free kick scorer than David Beckham

calumhibee1
28-06-2021, 10:05 AM

I think Juninho Pernambucano is statistically the best ever. His were also the most incredible technique wise imo.

hibbie02
28-06-2021, 12:15 PM

Matt Le Tissier was **** hot at free kicks and almost faultless on Pens. Had the pleasure of watching him many times at the Dell.

HoboHarry
28-06-2021, 12:24 PM
Matt Le Tissier was **** hot at free kicks and almost faultless on Pens. Had the pleasure of watching him many times at the Dell.
Only missed one in his entire career IIRC......

Pagan Hibernia
28-06-2021, 12:33 PM

Yes, loved him. Such a talent

Is It On....
28-06-2021, 12:44 PM
Only missed one in his entire career IIRC......

Against Sheffield Wednesday...

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2021, 02:18 PM

Think Juninho is one of the few better than Beckham. Both were excellent though, and Ronaldinho scored a good number.

JohnM1875
28-06-2021, 02:28 PM
Think Juninho is one of the few better than Beckham. Both were excellent though, and Ronaldinho scored a good number.

Juninho: 77
Ronaldinho: 66
Beckham:65
Cristiano:57
Messi:57

According to some stat I saw the other week.

Pagan Hibernia
28-06-2021, 02:54 PM
Juninho: 77
Ronaldinho: 66
Beckham:65
Cristiano:57
Messi:57

According to some stat I saw the other week.

Amazing figures. Not exactly a poor amount from Ronaldo

jacomo
28-06-2021, 03:13 PM
I enjoyed his little tantrum at the end of the match.

I think I must be a bad person.

CallumLaidlaw
28-06-2021, 03:28 PM
Amazing figures. Not exactly a poor amount from Ronaldo

My guess is he’s taken a LOT more than the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2021, 04:14 PM
My guess is he’s taken a LOT more than the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. Hes played many more games than others on the list too.

hibbie02
28-06-2021, 06:20 PM
Yeah. Hes played many more games than others on the list too.

The Telegraph had a table of Direct Free Kick scorers who had taken at least 5 in the Euros since 2004. Ronaldo has taken 50+ and scored 1. Percentage success rate of 1.9%. Bale has taken 6 and scored 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

28-06-2021, 10:51 PM
I enjoyed his little tantrum at the end of the match.

I think I must be a bad person.

I'd more put it down to him being a d**k.