PDA

View Full Version : Football pet hates

Pages : [1] 2

13-06-2021, 08:57 AM
Bit of a dark day in football yesterday, thankfully with a better ending than was first feared but never the less given everybody a bit of a shake so thought this could be a bit of a more light hearted thread.

What are your football "pet hates"?

Few of mine:

- Players over using "ya know" after just about every sentence in interviews
- Folk not giving back the ball once it goes into the crowd
- Folk wolf whistling when a female physio runs on the park

Since452
13-06-2021, 09:02 AM
Players talking to each other at full time with their hand over their mouths.

Northernhibee
13-06-2021, 09:11 AM
“There was contact but it was a soft penalty”.

Eyrie
13-06-2021, 09:12 AM
Lack of a decent advantage rule.

Players throwing themselves to the ground at the slightest contact.

Players advancing throw ins ten yards.

Professional players being unable to use both feet.

Players mouthing off at referees.

Pagan Hibernia
13-06-2021, 09:36 AM
overdone drawn out choreographed trophy presentations that are so long and manufactured that they completely dilute the emotion of the moment.

Just give them the f***in trophy and let them lift it.

BILLYHIBS
13-06-2021, 09:37 AM
Time wasting

McD
13-06-2021, 09:40 AM
Mealy mouthed pundits who talk in cliches

Time wasting, even more so early in the game

players going down screaming, glance at the ref, and spring back up once the free kick is given or not given

awful use of var technology compared to other sports

referees over exaggerated hand gestures when talking to players

Sam allardyce

socks over knees

ddoc
13-06-2021, 09:43 AM
Lack of a decent advantage rule.

Players throwing themselves to the ground at the slightest contact.

Players advancing throw ins ten yards.

Professional players being unable to use both feet.

Players mouthing off at referees.

Throw ins do my head in. If you advance to far the ref should stop it and give the thrown in to the opposition. That would soon put a stop to this.

MWHIBBIES
13-06-2021, 09:44 AM
“There was contact but it was a soft penalty”.

Penalties are just fouls in the box. They type of fouls that people say are soft penalties, are given dozens of times a game, especially with defenders just flopping over shielding the ball.

Orchard_Hibs
13-06-2021, 09:47 AM
Sky sports, advertising, sponsors, commentators, pundits, agents, tickets that cost a fortune, bosman

calumhibee1
13-06-2021, 09:48 AM
Sky sports, advertising, sponsors, commentators, pundits, agents, tickets that cost a fortune, bosman

Do you like football at all? :greengrin

McD
13-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Penalties are just fouls in the box. They type of fouls that people say are soft penalties, are given dozens of times a game, especially with defenders just flopping over shielding the ball.

you’ve reminded me of another - defenders “shielding” a ball as it trundles towards the bye line, with no attempt to play the play, fouling the attacker from getting the ball, then fall over and always get a free kick. You’d never get away with doing that elsewhere on the pitch, but they always get a foul :furious:

also, the fact that when incidents happen in the box, not penalty given but the same at the halfway line is a guaranteed free kick - bull**** refereeing, if it’s a foul it’s a foul, the location on the pitch doesn’t matter

Orchard_Hibs
13-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Do you like football at all? :greengrin

Sometimes I’m not sure 🤣, I have just bought my 5 and 2 year old season tickets so there is hope.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Keeper's trying to hold onto the ball after conceding when the opposing team are chasing the game.

MKHIBEE
13-06-2021, 09:55 AM
Hibs getting beat.
Hears winning
Rangers winning

AltheHibby
13-06-2021, 09:56 AM
"He won the free kick". No. He was awarded a free kick. If he "won" it, he did so by cheating.

Pundits who don't know the laws of the game (the vast majority of them).

BILLYHIBS
13-06-2021, 09:58 AM
Douglas Ross

Bostonhibby
13-06-2021, 10:07 AM
Douglas Ross

Bozo's best pal in Scotland, Murray Ross is a bit of a **** as well.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
13-06-2021, 10:10 AM
overdone drawn out choreographed trophy presentations that are so long and manufactured that they completely dilute the emotion of the moment.

Just give them the f***in trophy and let them lift it.

I have special loathing for the fireworks that accompany these contrived events, which are always either whilst it is light or there are floodlights on and serve no purpose whatsoever. I think they were the brainchild of that Docksiders dick.

Gmack7
13-06-2021, 10:18 AM
Coaches that have their initials on their tops/jackets. FFS why

easty
13-06-2021, 10:19 AM
"He won the free kick". No. He was awarded a free kick. If he "won" it, he did so by cheating.

Pundits who don't know the laws of the game (the vast majority of them).

Nah, that first point isn’t correct. You can win a foul without cheating. You can tempt a challenge knowing you can get yourself between the man and ball before it’s made.

Smartie
13-06-2021, 10:26 AM
Nah, that first point isn’t correct. You can win a foul without cheating. You can tempt a challenge knowing you can get yourself between the man and ball before it’s made.

It’s an essential skill in the game of football imo.

BS44
13-06-2021, 10:27 AM
What was the name of the guy who played for Man U and done a ridiculous dance move with arms each time he scored? Nothing against him but his celebration really annoyed me

Players who do silly over the top stuff when they score

Ref's who give fouls for nowt after they realise they might have got a corner decision wrong. Corner goes into box and ref sees a foul on no one but gives defending team one anyway

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-06-2021, 10:42 AM
Fans referring to players as ballers, gets right on my thrupennies.

Pretty Boy
13-06-2021, 10:44 AM
Pre planned and obviously rehearsed celebrations. Guys pretending to take pictures of their team mates, doing the Fortnite dance and the like.

Fans who pretend they don't know what is meant by a 'half chance' or similar. There may not be an exact definition but everyone knows what the implication is and pretending otherwise is just being deliberately obtuse.

Fans who don't know the rules and scream and shout about something they are wrong about. Notable examples I have heard recently are from a keeper picking up a ball that has been kneed back to him and a free kick for offside being taken in the attacking players half. The 1st is just basics, the 2nd was also correct on the part of the referee.

The lack of hot water at ER.

Half and half scarves.

The obsession with stats. Stats are useful and can certainly provide an alternative picture to commonly held beliefs. They aren't the be all and end all though and like any stats those in football can be twisted to fit a certain viewpoint.

Northernhibee
13-06-2021, 10:47 AM
The way Oli McBurnie wears his socks like a netball player.

Keyser Sauzee
13-06-2021, 10:53 AM
Diving and players trying to wind other players up, both seem to me that those who do it don’t fully believe the have the ability to get the best of their opponent honestly and have to resort to “cheating” (I use that term loosley). Play honestly and if u are on the loosing end then deal with it, identify where u lost the game and improve. Integrity is being lost in the game.

Glory Lurker
13-06-2021, 11:06 AM
Players claiming for corners, throw ins or offsides that clearly aren't going to be awarded to them.

Highwayman
13-06-2021, 11:07 AM
Women pundits,apart from.Hang on I’ll need to come back on that one.

pollution
13-06-2021, 11:16 AM
Gobbing on the pitch, rank.

GreenCastle
13-06-2021, 11:22 AM
That’s a half chance…it’s either a chance or not a chance.

The Rooneys of the world. The Barcelona’s of the world. Why make it plural ?!

Big game..when it’s an important game?!

Scottish Refs…useless

Scottish FA ..completely useless

Hampden - worst international stadium in Europe

Old Firm Bias in Scotland

Jobs for the boys in football.

Dr What If?
13-06-2021, 11:23 AM
When I was a kid I did both rugby and football, the rugby coaches drilled into you 'respect', we were told never to question the ref and call him 'sir'. My football coaches said to question every decision (even if we knew it was a foul), don't be afraid to tell the ref he was wrong....it was actively encouraged. That was 30 years ago and I always felt the game would be a much, much better spectacle if that bit of the culture was to change.

Logie Green
13-06-2021, 11:45 AM
Ear splitting music, especially after a goal is scored.

People using ‘worldy’ to describe a good goal.

Teams changing into their second/third choice strips for no good reason, often resulting in less of a contrast than if they’d just used their first choice.

BILLYHIBS
13-06-2021, 11:56 AM
No chips in the West Upper

matty_f
13-06-2021, 12:01 PM
The inconsistency of referees.

Also, referees “keeping the cards in the pocket” for Old Firm games so their players are able to foul without punishment whilst the same foul in any other game gets a booking. Either they’re both booking or neither are, you shouldn’t referee teams differently.

GreenCastle
13-06-2021, 12:04 PM
When I was a kid I did both rugby and football, the rugby coaches drilled into you 'respect', we were told never to question the ref and call him 'sir'. My football coaches said to question every decision (even if we knew it was a foul), don't be afraid to tell the ref he was wrong....it was actively encouraged. That was 30 years ago and I always felt the game would be a much, much better spectacle if that bit of the culture was to change.

The lack of respect for refs is so simple to stop but for some reason it still hasn’t been sorted.

The mess of VAR with lack of replays in stadiums keeps fans in the dark isn’t right either.

Peevemor
13-06-2021, 12:08 PM
Coaches that have their initials on their tops/jackets. FFS whyIs it not simply to know who's gear is what when there are loads the same floating about or when they get it back from being washed, etc.

scuttle
13-06-2021, 12:52 PM
Not beating first man at corners
Walls not being ten yards from ball
Players screaming when tackled
VAR

Tommy75
13-06-2021, 01:06 PM
When commentators say a goalkeeper 'just about kept it out' when they actually made a save and kept it out.

Talking about summer signings as 'recruitment'.

When managers/players say 'we go again'

The over use of the word 'shape'

When managers/players pretend not to have seen a a bad challenge to avoid commenting on it in an interview.

Saint Hibee
13-06-2021, 01:09 PM
When half the pitch is in shade and half in bright sunshine. Does my head in.

BILLYHIBS
13-06-2021, 01:13 PM
Why do players instead of crossing the ball into the box right away do they now insist on stopping the ball first and sending in a dead ball slowing down the momentum of play and giving the defence time to reorganise itself

Seems to be creeping in all over the pitch

Does ma box in !

Santa Cruz
13-06-2021, 01:18 PM
Pundits/supporter's who refer to players names in plural terms, your Ronaldo's, your, Sterling's, your Ronney's etc. There's only one of them. Don't understand why.

matty_f
13-06-2021, 01:24 PM
Pundits/supporter's who refer to players names in plural terms, your Ronaldo's, your, Sterling's, your Ronney's etc. There's only one of them. Don't understand why.

There are two Ronaldos, to be fair. :greengrin

Since90+2
13-06-2021, 01:26 PM

There is also two Ronnie's.

Key West
13-06-2021, 01:28 PM
Commentators and pundits that just can't shut up for 10 seconds.
Commentators saying things like Rashford of Man United in an international match, as if we don't know who he the individuals play for.
Pickford's unjustified arrogance, the new Joe Hart.
Worst of all the inconsistent human interpretation of VAR!🥵🥵🥵

stuart-farquhar
13-06-2021, 01:29 PM
The GFA.

Santa Cruz
13-06-2021, 01:31 PM
There are two Ronaldos, to be fair. :greengrin

Ha how could I forget, loved original Ronaldo. Poor example, you get my gist though eh :greengrin

stu in nottingham
13-06-2021, 01:32 PM
1. England being referred to as the pretentious 'The Three Lions' as if it has some legendary, mythical status.

2. England

CLASS OF 72 -73
13-06-2021, 01:40 PM
Unnecessary away kits worn when strip colour's don't clash
Commentators and pundits that say 'They get 20000 every week' (they don't play at home every week)!

Pretty Boy
13-06-2021, 01:41 PM
People who won't admit their rivals have any good players and tie themselves in knots explaining why the guy who scored 50 goals in a season including 12 against their team is actually overrated or just crap.

'And it's **insert crap team name here**, crap team FC, we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen'. I know every team has songs that exagerrate how good and successful they are but that one really annoys me. Aberdeen and Hull being the two who sing it that irritate me the most.

The lack of originality in absolutely everything Celtic do.

The fact I think 'it's coming home' or whatever it is called is a cracking football song. I wish it was anyone but England who sang it.

The substandard catering in most football grounds. When you compare it to what is on offer at a lot of other sports we get totally shafted.

People who get totally into the Euros/WC who know nowt about football and have no interest in the game other than 3 weeks every 2 years. I get it's a big event and people want to be part of it and that's great. Don't suddenly start pretending you are James Richardson with an encyclopedic knowledge of European or world football and an intricate understanding of tactics though. See also rugby and the 6 Nations, horse racing and Cheltenham and tennis and Wimbledon. By all means enjoy it but don't pretend you are something you are not, those of us who trek to Greenock on a freezing cold Wednesday night or have watched our team draw 0-0 at home in a drab end of season affair can spot you a mile off.

Dave Beaumont not hacking Wayne Foster to the ground in 1994 still annoys me more than it should.

Pagan Hibernia
13-06-2021, 01:53 PM
When commentators say a goalkeeper 'just about kept it out' when they actually made a save and kept it out.

Talking about summer signings as 'recruitment'.

When managers/players say 'we go again'

The over use of the word 'shape'

When managers/players pretend not to have seen a a bad challenge to avoid commenting on it in an interview.

Yeah, the “we go again” crap annoys me too. When the hell did that even start? It’s a phrase that just seemed to appear from nowhere and now everyone’s at it

stu in nottingham
13-06-2021, 01:59 PM
Players and managerial staff referring to the squad as 'the group'.

heretoday
13-06-2021, 02:01 PM
All tv football commentators. The whole flipping lot.
There should be a button to press to go commentary-free.

CentreLine
13-06-2021, 02:15 PM
English football media

scm70nyd1973
13-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Hibs players who don’t run back and follow an opponent when the latter is heading for the box 😡

Key West
13-06-2021, 02:27 PM
All tv football commentators. The whole flipping lot.
There should be a button to press to go commentary-free.

Agree, crowd noise only, slavers the lot of them.

Tommy75
13-06-2021, 02:41 PM
Talking about the 'false number 10'

Onion
13-06-2021, 03:06 PM
Players and managerial staff referring to the squad as 'the group'.

Managers who refers to his own team as "they" rather than we, implying he's only here to help the "project" along.

Commentators who use the term "just about kept the ball in" when player did keep it in.

BBC football commentator's superiority complex and condescending attitude to Scotland, Wales and Norn i.

Huns

WoreTheGreen
13-06-2021, 03:35 PM
The growing use of the word “delicious “by commentators and pundits “what a delicious cross/pass/turn

Greenbeard
13-06-2021, 04:12 PM
Gobbing on the pitch, rank.
Agree. It is habitual with some, Porto and Nisbet being two of the worst offenders. I was amazed there was no sanction brought in for this when play resumed after lockdown. I think pro golfers can get fined.
I do feel the need to gob occasionally when exercising vigorously, especially if I have a bit of a snivvle or cough, but not twice every minute, and certainly not if I am standing on the touchline watching, as per some managers I've seen.
The ref runs about as much as the players but when did you last see a ref gob on the pitch during a game? Guessing they have a directive not to gob?

Hibiza
13-06-2021, 04:13 PM
Managers saying " we will learn from this ".

Pretty Boy
13-06-2021, 04:26 PM
Players kissing the ball before a penalty, feee kick etc

A North Macedonia player just done it for a nothing free kick 40 yards out on the touchline. WTF?

Magpie
13-06-2021, 04:28 PM
Stephen Craigan and Steve McManaman.

Key West
13-06-2021, 04:33 PM

Why anybody would listen to Craigan is a mystery what has he actually done, as for McMannaman he did play for Real Madrid and Liverpool but opinion wise you'd think he was world player of the year 7 times on the trot in the way he berates players for errors.

Magpie
13-06-2021, 04:36 PM
Why anybody would listen to Craigan is a mystery what has he actually done, as for McMannaman he did play for Real Madrid and Liverpool but opinion wise you'd think he was world player of the year 7 times on the trot in the way he berates players for errors.

I get the feeling that Craigan hates Hibs.

LongJohnBanger
13-06-2021, 05:03 PM
"Rolls Royce of a player"

"Never laid a glove on them"

Insert every other flavour of the week / month cliché as you see fit.

Jim Herriot
13-06-2021, 05:12 PM
"He made no mistake from the spot" always annoys me, mainly because no-one in history has ever said "He made a mistake from the spot."

CloudSquall
13-06-2021, 05:13 PM

The complete corruption of the meaning of "just about" has me almost going through my TV screen.

"he just about got a touch to that" - No, he actually ****ing touched it.

"He just about got his head on it" - No he actually ****ing got his head on it.

CloudSquall
13-06-2021, 05:16 PM
"Your Liverpools, Chelseas, Arsenals"

There's more than one of each aye?

Also, "Twitter banter" on clubs' official Twitter accounts which is as funny as being hit by a car.

It's like having a bunch of clones of James Corden but even less funny.

The_Exile
13-06-2021, 05:17 PM
The fact i need about 8 subscriptions to watch it.

The_Exile
13-06-2021, 05:19 PM
Players kissing the ball before a penalty, feee kick etc

A North Macedonia player just done it for a nothing free kick 40 yards out on the touchline. WTF?

I saw this too and it made me laugh out loud 😂

Topographic Hibby
13-06-2021, 05:22 PM
Linesmen waiting about 5 minutes to put their flag up after everybody in the stadium/TV-land has shouted "offside"......:confused:

Onion
13-06-2021, 05:44 PM
The complete corruption of the meaning of "just about" has me almost going through my TV screen.

"he just about got a touch to that" - No, he actually ****ing touched it.

"He just about got his head on it" - No he actually ****ing got his head on it.

:agree: Just about does ma head in :cb

Iain G
13-06-2021, 05:45 PM
Every John Hughes interview ever, Charlie Nicholas and Davie Provan, moving electronic pitch side advertising in the same colours as the teams playing, Jane Lewis and her constant errors, all the additional wee sponsors on strips, changing both / all 3 strips every year now, jobs for the boys in punditry, Sam Allardyce...

Caversham Green
13-06-2021, 06:03 PM
Referees failing to book players for bad tackles because it's early in the game - that's exactly the time that they should be booked.

Players taking the ball into the corner to waste time when they could be crossing it for another attempt at goal - it's an entertainment industry, even if you miss we'd rather see a shot on goal than two or three players fannying about at the corner post.

Danderhall Hibs
13-06-2021, 06:13 PM
Robbie Savage.

Referees not giving free kicks unless a player falls over.

Complaints about players going over easily to win a foul when if the refs gave fouls for fouls they wouldn’t have to.

Magpie
13-06-2021, 06:16 PM
Referees failing to book players for bad tackles because it's early in the game - that's exactly the time that they should be booked.

Players taking the ball into the corner to waste time when they could be crossing it for another attempt at goal - it's an entertainment industry, even if you miss we'd rather see a shot on goal than two or three players fannying about at the corner post.

Your first point annoys me too.

The Modfather
13-06-2021, 06:19 PM
The majority of footballers haircuts. Or probably more accurately the majority of youngsters’ haircuts.

Just Alf
13-06-2021, 06:20 PM

Players taking the ball into the corner to waste time when they could be crossing it for another attempt at goal - it's an entertainment industry, even if you miss we'd rather see a shot on goal than two or three players fannying about at the corner post.Point 1 = 100%

Point 2 = No way, I have painful memories of Scotland just needing to see out a minute or two, rather than playing canny, we went for it then lost a goal to counter attack at the final whistle.
Ended up in a playoff with England where we beat them at Wembley (sure it was their last competitive game at the old version) and got beat at Hampden to go out on aggregate.. scarred for life!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hibrandenburg
13-06-2021, 06:22 PM
Pished fans who are a liability to themselves and others around them.

Fans who appear to detest their own team.

Bosman.

The idea that I should support a particular team because of what religion I was born into.

Glory hunting fans.

Games on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday.

The Modfather
13-06-2021, 06:23 PM
Point 1 = 100%

Point 2 = No way, I have painful memories of Scotland just needing to see out a minute or two, rather than playing canny, we went for it then lost a goal to counter attack at the final whistle.
Ended up in a playoff with England where we beat them at Wembley (sure it was their last competitive game at the old version) and got beat at Hampden to go out on aggregate.. scarred for life!

They also lost to Germany at Wembley in the previous game. Satisfying that the last two games at the old Wembley were defeats to Germany & Scotland 😀

One Day
13-06-2021, 06:50 PM
Douglas Ross

A face only a mother could love

HoboHarry
13-06-2021, 06:56 PM
Agree. It is habitual with some, Porto and Nisbet being two of the worst offenders. I was amazed there was no sanction brought in for this when play resumed after lockdown. I think pro golfers can get fined.
I do feel the need to gob occasionally when exercising vigorously, especially if I have a bit of a snivvle or cough, but not twice every minute, and certainly not if I am standing on the touchline watching, as per some managers I've seen.
The ref runs about as much as the players but when did you last see a ref gob on the pitch during a game? Guessing they have a directive not to gob?
I suspect that for the most part, referees come from a higher branch on the intellectual tree than most footballers.

Newry Hibs
13-06-2021, 06:59 PM
The swooshing noise for every caption on sky sports.

13-06-2021, 07:16 PM
Players talking to each other at full time with their hand over their mouths.

Racist

cowdenhibby
13-06-2021, 07:19 PM
Mealy mouthed pundits who talk in cliches

Time wasting, even more so early in the game

players going down screaming, glance at the ref, and spring back up once the free kick is given or not given

awful use of var technology compared to other sports

referees over exaggerated hand gestures when talking to players

Sam allardyce

socks over kneesSam Allardyce:agree:

EdinMike
13-06-2021, 07:22 PM
“Tactical fouls” and “taking one for the team” I just think they are blatant cheating. They quicker the are made a straight Red the better the game will flow !

cowdenhibby
13-06-2021, 07:25 PM
When a free kick is awarded in shooting distance the time between it being awarded and the taking of it does my head in. When a player has only one defender to beat and turns and passes back

Jones28
13-06-2021, 07:32 PM
Great players who make awful pundits (Owen, Savage, Shearer, hunners of others).

Robbie Savage

The ****ing god awful adverts that appear around tournaments with players.

HoboHarry
13-06-2021, 07:36 PM
Great players who make awful pundits (Owen, Savage, Shearer, hunners of others).

Robbie Savage

Andy Walker is right up there with then in the useless stakes......

The dalmeny
13-06-2021, 07:44 PM
Socks over the knees as mentioned before, then kids copying.

the ball being shepherded out, no it’s ‘king obstruction, boot the boy up the @rse

Greenbeard
13-06-2021, 07:59 PM

Folk who put apostrophe’s in plural word’s! 😉

Onion
13-06-2021, 07:59 PM
Ally McCoist, the nauseating English sycophant.

lugz
13-06-2021, 08:04 PM
Synical fouls, been of the opinion for a long time now that yellow isn't enough for such fouls. Would like to see a sin bin style introduced for them.

They're even worse when the ref doesn't allow the free kick to be taken quickly. Why should the team effectively cheating benefit at all.

Santa Cruz
13-06-2021, 08:04 PM
Folk who put apostrophe’s in plural word’s! 😉

LOL, apologies to the grammar polis, I have no defence for my sloppy mistake's (or is it mistakes) :greengrin

AngloHibs
13-06-2021, 09:24 PM
The term "game management", and how pundits selectively only praise top teams for it. It's time wasting, and lesser teams get slated for it.

SMAXXA
13-06-2021, 09:32 PM
When a professional footballer hits the first man from a corner or free kick

ballengeich
13-06-2021, 09:34 PM
Commentators on international matches who continually speculate on which English club team players might be joining.

Greenbeard
13-06-2021, 09:36 PM
LOL, apologies to the grammar polis, I have no defence for my sloppy mistake's (or is it mistakes) :greengrin

It’s worse when your I-phone or laptop auto corrects a plural word and adds an unnecessary apostrophe. Bloody yanks.

KingPat4
13-06-2021, 09:39 PM
Steven Gerrard

VAR

BBC Radio Scotland Football

Jeff Stelling

Pat Stanton leaving for Celtic

The Full Set

Drying the ball with your jersey before taking a throw in.

The one that I originally wanted to post on this thread, but have completely forgotten

:confused:

WeeRussell
13-06-2021, 09:53 PM
Point 1 = 100%

Completely agree. Point one is spot on but the second one, if anything, is a an opposite pet hate of mine - when people can’t understand why a couple of minutes off the clock is the sensible play ahead of a speculative ball into the box when you’ve got about one other teammate in the opposition’s half. (If winning the game)

WeeRussell
13-06-2021, 09:54 PM

I want to agree but I think my feelings are too strong for them to be ‘pet hates’.

RyeSloan
13-06-2021, 10:06 PM
After reading this thread I think it’s other people’s pet hates [emoji2957]

Shepherding the ball out is not obstruction as long as the ball is within playing distance

Taking the ball to the corner when winning and there is only minutes to go is rather sensible

Commentators…I don’t mind most of them. Summarisers…I don’t mind most of them either and actually quite like McManamanaman.

McCoist…I quite like his style and comments when he’s covering matches.

Professional fouls…all part of the game.

No bookings early doors. Sensible to try and give a bit of leeway early as players feel their way into a game.

‘Just about kept that in’…we all know it’s a phrase that means the player only just managed to keep the ball in play…why let that upset you?

Half chances…as per ‘just about’…we all know it means it was not a clear cut / expected goal style chance…just accept that those are called half chances and don’t let it upset you.

I could go on but I assume you get the point…learn to accept your pet peeve and be at one with life again [emoji2957][emoji2957]

CloudSquall
13-06-2021, 10:12 PM
When a professional footballer hits the first man from a corner or free kick

I'm close to doing time when that happens with 85+ minutes on the clock and we're a goal down.

Orchard_Hibs
13-06-2021, 10:14 PM

Robbie Savage

Wow savage was never a great player! He was a poor mans jarko wiss, worse pundit.

1875godsgift
13-06-2021, 11:13 PM
Kyle Lafferty

majorhibs
13-06-2021, 11:19 PM
Brian Hamilton bringing a brilliant Hibs side down cos he couldn’t do the basics ending so many excellent scoring chances, then years later dewy eyed revisionists waxing lyrical about such an unselfish team playing worker. If Miller had removed the blinkers then IMO a whole lot more was achievable, Wright, Mcginlay, O’Neill etc shoulda = a lot more success.

SMAXXA
14-06-2021, 12:22 AM
I'm close to doing time when that happens with 85+ minutes on the clock and we're a goal down.

Or actually an even better one which has creeped into the modern game, when your getting beat on the last couple of minutes your keeper plays it out to the defence who pass it a few times square and into midfield. I can only assume is either they are brain dead and so drilled they can’t deviate from the coaches approach. Get it launched into the box man. Passing from the back is to draw opposition teams out that ain’t going to happen when a goal down in injury time 11 men behind the ball and they won’t come out…get it launched 😂

Greencore
14-06-2021, 12:36 AM
Hearts/close thread.

AZhibee
14-06-2021, 03:29 AM
Said it before, will say it again

1). Diving
2). Diving in the box
3). Neymar diving
4). Diving

Caversham Green
14-06-2021, 07:03 AM
After reading this thread I think it’s other people’s pet hates [emoji2957]

Shepherding the ball out is not obstruction as long as the ball is within playing distance

Taking the ball to the corner when winning and there is only minutes to go is rather sensible

Commentators…I don’t mind most of them. Summarisers…I don’t mind most of them either and actually quite like McManamanaman.

McCoist…I quite like his style and comments when he’s covering matches.

Professional fouls…all part of the game.

No bookings early doors. Sensible to try and give a bit of leeway early as players feel their way into a game.

‘Just about kept that in’…we all know it’s a phrase that means the player only just managed to keep the ball in play…why let that upset you?

Half chances…as per ‘just about’…we all know it means it was not a clear cut / expected goal style chance…just accept that those are called half chances and don’t let it upset you.

I could go on but I assume you get the point…learn to accept your pet peeve and be at one with life again [emoji2957][emoji2957]

Both of mine in there, so:

The bad tackle early on is usually a player "putting down a marker" - well the referee should also put down a marker to show he won't be accepting that sort of play regardless of the time it's committed.

I agree taking the ball into the corner is sensible - so was passing back to the keeper until it was made illegal. Both are anti-entertainment and prevent progress of the game - the keeper holding onto the ball and the corner flag being used as a blocker to (unfairly IMO) prevent opposition players getting to the ball. I hate it even when it's my side that's doing it.

Bobo
14-06-2021, 08:08 AM
My pet hates are :

• Playing 1 man up front. 😡
• Players who can't cross or deliver the ball from open play, free kicks or corners (about 95% of them). 😤
• Centre halves who don't attack crosses and rarely head them clear of their own 18 yard box if they do. ☹
• Teams that time waste, rotational foul and feign injury to disrupt play for 90 minutes. 🙄

• Absolutely anything to do with hear7s, the old firm or Aberdeen. 🖕🏻

Jones28
14-06-2021, 08:08 AM
Wow savage was never a great player! He was a poor mans jarko wiss, worse pundit.

You know, you're absolutely correct. :thumbsup:

SChibs
14-06-2021, 09:46 AM
'Football fix'

JeMeSouviens
14-06-2021, 09:50 AM
Said it before, will say it again

1). Diving
2). Diving in the box
3). Neymar diving
4). Diving

Even worse than diving is refs that won't give a pen when a player is fouled but tries to stay on his feet.

JeMeSouviens
14-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Relatively recent one - goalies catching the ball, landing perfectly well on 2 feet and then flopping onto the ground to waste some time. Needs to be an automatic booking.

Peevemor
14-06-2021, 09:55 AM
Even worse than diving is refs that won't give a pen when a player is fouled but tries to stay on his feet.

Which is why some players go down as soon as there's contact.

green day
14-06-2021, 09:55 AM
Commentators on international matches who continually speculate on which English club team players might be joining.

I think this is mostly a TV thing.

I was at the beach yesterday so listened to the England match on 5 Live. The main commentator mentioned 66 only in the context that they didnt win the opening match.

The co commentator was Chris Waddle, and his contributions were both intelligent and even handed.

He spotted that the same flaw England had in friendlies (all guns blazing for 25 mins, dont score and then allow the opposition to dictate) happened yesterday.

He was very very good - but maybe doesnt conform to the highly polished tv pundit template.

Should be noted that you can watch their BBC matches with 5 live commentary if the TV stuff is annoying.

JeMeSouviens
14-06-2021, 09:57 AM
Which is why some players go down as soon as there's contact.

:agree:

So we get "he's gone down far too easily" immediately followed by "he's got to go down there and make the ref make a decision". Sometimes from the same pundit. :rolleyes:

Future17
14-06-2021, 10:58 AM
Relatively recent one - goalies catching the ball, landing perfectly well on 2 feet and then flopping onto the ground to waste some time. Needs to be an automatic booking.

Given that they're (in theory) only allowed to hold the ball for a limited time, flopping to the ground with it shouldn't allow them to waste any more time than standing up with it.

weecounty hibby
14-06-2021, 10:58 AM
Talking about the 'false number 10'

Even worse now they're talking about a false 9. Think it was in the Wales game they were debating how Wales would set up. What the **** does that actually mean. False 10 or 9?
Up top when talking about attackers, what a loadie pish. No one says down bottom when talking about defenders.
Players screaming when tackled to try to win free kicks/get opposition booked. Get on with it you pussies
Holding your head and going down rolling about at corners to stop play when nothing is wrong with them. Get on with it you pussies
Players not going forward when in loads of space and turning back to pass to the ****ing central defenders
take a man on you pussies.
Players who have lost the ability to tackle properly
Big clubs trying to rule the world and screw everyone else
Champions league
Celtic
Rangers
Scottish media, pundits etc who downplay our game here
Lack of respect for referees from players and managers
The new interpretation of the offside rule
Coloured boots

BILLYHIBS
14-06-2021, 11:00 AM
Ally McCoist, the nauseating English sycophant.
Disagree

McCoist is excellent

nonshinyfinish
14-06-2021, 11:02 AM
Given that they're (in theory) only allowed to hold the ball for a limited time, flopping to the ground with it shouldn't allow them to waste any more time than standing up with it.

Interesting: in the hypothetical scenario where the ref actually bothers about the six-second rule, when do the six seconds start from?

In cases where the keeper has genuinely ended up on the deck holding the ball, it would seem harsh to start counting before he's even on his feet.

Of course in reality to be pulled up on that rule you have to absolutely take the piss.

superfurryhibby
14-06-2021, 11:10 AM
Socks pulled up so high above the knee that they resemble, ahem, stockings. Not the best look.

Mon Dieu4
14-06-2021, 11:11 AM
Coloured boots, you should be made to wear a default black boot until you have actually achieved something, it's acceptable for Zidane to wear gold boots, it's not for someone who plays for Airdrie

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2021, 11:19 AM
Supporters who get hung up on commentators and phrases that we all know what they mean. The same folk who seem to listen more to what opposition fans sing than what happens on the pitch.

Killiehibbie
14-06-2021, 11:24 AM
Even worse now they're talking about a false 9. Think it was in the Wales game they were debating how Wales would set up. What the **** does that actually mean. False 10 or 9?
Up top when talking about attackers, what a loadie pish. No one says down bottom when talking about defenders.
Players screaming when tackled to try to win free kicks/get opposition booked. Get on with it you pussies
Holding your head and going down rolling about at corners to stop play when nothing is wrong with them. Get on with it you pussies
Players not going forward when in loads of space and turning back to pass to the ****ing central defenders
Champions league
Celtic
Rangers
Coloured boots
Rule changes that mean proper tackling is penalised.

Keith_M
14-06-2021, 12:29 PM
Having two police helicopters flying around your house for two hours before a game at Hampden that is only 25% of capacity, has only home fans and literally no security risk.

:rolleyes:

EI255
14-06-2021, 03:02 PM
Lyndon Dykes

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

JXM73
14-06-2021, 03:06 PM
Religion

VAR

mopes (celtic/liverpool)

Tartan Army

Foul throws

Hampden

EI255
14-06-2021, 03:10 PM
Face masks

Just_Jimmy
14-06-2021, 04:06 PM
being Scottish

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Diclonius
14-06-2021, 04:18 PM
Choreographed goal celebrations. Can't stand them.

Rampant betting advertising everywhere. It's just as destructive as alcohol or cigarettes yet gets a free pass for some reason. Get it to ****.

EI255
14-06-2021, 04:20 PM
All tartan crap including Jimmy wigs and kilts. Wrong

Peevemor
14-06-2021, 04:23 PM

Sent from my LG-H870 using TapatalkAre all kilts tartan crap? Why are they wrong?

I'd rather have Scots in kilts than plastic paddies any day of the week.

BILLYHIBS
14-06-2021, 04:24 PM
Goalkeeper Shudda done better there

Hits the post via a defender goes off the back o his heid and in

WTF!

Poland 0 v 1 Slovakia

��

Lago
14-06-2021, 04:38 PM
Manager & players talking about taking the positives from a game, where none exist.

Iain G
14-06-2021, 04:48 PM
Players shooting from 35 yards out when there are 8 or 9 defenders ahead of you (Hamsik of Poland am looking at you, oh and you Hendry)

He's here!
14-06-2021, 05:43 PM
A version of this pic appearing after every Scotland letdown...

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/A50C/production/_118925224_fans_reuters-1.jpg

AZhibee
14-06-2021, 06:27 PM

So we get "he's gone down far too easily" immediately followed by "he's got to go down there and make the ref make a decision". Sometimes from the same pundit. :rolleyes:

Yep, why it is my “pet hate”.

DH1875
14-06-2021, 07:00 PM
Having two police helicopters flying around your house for two hours before a game at Hampden that is only 25% of capacity, has only home fans and literally no security risk.

Only one of them was police and there was away fans at the game.

Pretty Boy
14-06-2021, 07:08 PM
The lack of players tucking their shirts in these days.

Long sleeves shirts not really being a thing anymore.

Numptie
14-06-2021, 07:38 PM
After a 2 nil drubbing, the manager says it was an even game

Jones28
14-06-2021, 07:51 PM
After a 2 nil drubbing, the manager says it was an even game

It wasn’t a drubbing.

calumhibee1
14-06-2021, 07:53 PM
The lack of players tucking their shirts in these days.

Long sleeves shirts not really being a thing anymore.

The long sleeve thing annoys me :agree:

Much rather see players in a long sleeve shirt than a short sleeve with an under armour top regardless of how little it matters :greengrin

Hibspirational
14-06-2021, 08:52 PM
Overpriced, poor quality half time food. I know there are more important things in life, but for something that happens less than once a week for 15/20mins, why is it so difficult to get a decent half time pie, oh and shepherding the ball out!

gbhibby
14-06-2021, 08:57 PM
Coloured football boots, should be black with a little bit of white.
Players wearing gloves.
Players wearing long sleeve things under short sleeve tops.
Hampden Park.
Players who can't take a corner properly.

LaMotta
14-06-2021, 09:27 PM
When the nets aren't pegged down properly at the back, rather they are weakly held down by a lightweight frame of metal that lifts off the ground after a goal. Man City have had these for years, see it when a penalty goes in raising the bottom of the net at the same time.

This infuriates me so much I think it may be slightly unhealthy.

LaMotta
14-06-2021, 09:31 PM
Fans or commentators shooting their beans too early and saying "great ball" or similar midway through a long, high, raking cross field world cup willy pass, only for the ball to inevitably miss its target and sail into row C of the stand.

Nicho87
14-06-2021, 09:50 PM
Happy clappers

Spotted a few on tv today hands above their heads clapping our brave defeated players off the park

hibee-boys
14-06-2021, 09:55 PM

Is it just the tartan army that get dressed up to support their national team, is it the equivalent of England fans rocking up at Wembley as Morris Dancers or the Spanish resplendent in their matador outfits🤔 Each to their own but your typical tartan army fan looks like an extra from Braveheart.

Peevemor
14-06-2021, 10:10 PM
Is it just the tartan army that get dressed up to support their national team, is it the equivalent of England fans rocking up at Wembley as Morris Dancers or the Spanish resplendent in their matador outfits[emoji848] Each to their own but your typical tartan army fan looks like an extra from Braveheart.So you think kilts are just tartan crap too?

northstandhibby
14-06-2021, 10:18 PM
Waiting for ages in a long kiosk queue at half time only to be told 'there's nae pies left' when finally reaching the counter.

Magpie
14-06-2021, 10:46 PM
Waiting for ages in a long kiosk queue at half time only to be told 'there's nae pies left' when finally reaching the counter.

Would happily accept that if it means we can get back into Easter Rd asap.

northstandhibby
14-06-2021, 10:58 PM
Would happily accept that if it means we can get back into Easter Rd asap.

I wasn't solely referring to ER. I follow the club home and away and have done for decades. Plenty places I've rolled up to in the past only to be met with the 'only got crisps left', especially when we were in the old First Division etc.

EI255
15-06-2021, 06:49 PM
So you think kilts are just tartan crap too?Each to their own and all that.

Seveno
15-06-2021, 08:46 PM
Clive Tyldesley and Ally McCoist.

overdrive
15-06-2021, 08:57 PM
ITV/STV cutting to ads in the middle of a match

B.H.F.C
15-06-2021, 09:17 PM
Talking about great movement from a striker. When they were offside.

CloudSquall
15-06-2021, 10:14 PM
When the same striker gets flagged for offside umpteen times in a game, at least learn to read the backline movement FFS.

TelaStella
15-06-2021, 10:40 PM
socks over knees

I’ll see you and raise you socks below the knees and tucked around the shinnies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caversham Green
16-06-2021, 07:42 AM
Is it just the tartan army that get dressed up to support their national team, is it the equivalent of England fans rocking up at Wembley as Morris Dancers or the Spanish resplendent in their matador outfits🤔 Each to their own but your typical tartan army fan looks like an extra from Braveheart.

You haven't seen English fans dressed as crusaders (England's too bland to have its own national outfit), Dutch fans dressed as smurfs, Scandinavian fans dressed as vikings or Irish fans dressed as leprechauns?

WeeRussell
16-06-2021, 08:55 AM
You haven't seen English fans dressed as crusaders (England's too bland to have its own national outfit), Dutch fans dressed as smurfs, Scandinavian fans dressed as vikings or Irish fans dressed as leprechauns?

I once seen lots of Hibs fans dressed in green at a game too. Looked ridiculous.

CL0762
16-06-2021, 01:46 PM
Kevin Nisbet answering ‘yeah defi-netly’ to almost every question he’s asked.

Largshibby
16-06-2021, 04:20 PM
Constant referrals to “momentum” and “game plan”
Only just putting the ball in the quadrant for corner kicks
“Asking questions” of the defence/midfield/opponents (select as appropriate)
Goalkeepers out of their area when kicking the ball going unpunished
Allan McGregor
References to games not being a must win

degenerated
16-06-2021, 04:29 PM
People that feed sugar lumps to police horses at cup finals.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
16-06-2021, 04:29 PM
Reporters asking players "how important was it to win today?" Must be one of the stupidest questions of all time..... :doh:

Gatecrasher
16-06-2021, 04:59 PM
When they mention woman's achievments in amongst the men, I respect the womans game but it's not the same. For example when the Scotland Woman qualified for the World Cup a couple of years ago they were saying they are the first Scottish National Team to make a major tournement since France 98. Which is correct but it's a completely different level to what the men's team are playing. I think the Woman need to make their own history and they have started doing that.

Fisherrow Harp
16-06-2021, 05:22 PM
Modern Football.

nonshinyfinish
16-06-2021, 08:12 PM
People that feed sugar lumps to police horses at cup finals.

Sent from my CPH2009 using TapatalkOnce, twice, three times a season.

degenerated
16-06-2021, 08:17 PM
Once, twice, three times a season.Known as the commodores :greengrin

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

heretoday
17-06-2021, 11:09 AM
It's just a bit of fun. Also it's hard to look menacing in a jimmy wig so maybe it cuts down the possibility of violence.

Peevemor
17-06-2021, 11:26 AM
It's just a bit of fun. Also it's hard to look menacing in a jimmy wig so maybe it cuts down the possibility of violence.

I've probably spent more time in a kilt than the vast majority on here, but it's never crossed my mind to put one on to go to watch a football match. However, I'm always saddened by the number of Scots who criticise the tartan army for no good reason.

People here are in awe of the Tartan Army and want to be like them. Other Europeans I've spoken to are the same.

Same goes for Flower of Scotland - it wouldn't be my 1st choice but other countries' fans are jealous of it.

Maybe it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

stantonhibby
17-06-2021, 11:31 AM
I've probably spent more time in a kilt than the vast majority on here, but it's never crossed my mind to put one on to go to watch a football match. However, I'm always saddened by the number of Scots who criticise the tartan army for no good reason.

People here are in awe of the Tartan Army and want to be like them. Other Europeans I've spoken to are the same.

Same goes for Flower of Scotland - it wouldn't be my 1st choice but other countrys' fans are jealous of it.

Maybe it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

Yep.....I don't mind Flower of Scotland at all.

The dalmeny
17-06-2021, 11:58 AM
6596662 (tel:6596662)[/URL]]It's just a bit of fun. Also it's hard to look menacing in a jimmy wig so maybe it cuts down the possibility of violence.

And a good icebreaker with the birds

mal
17-06-2021, 12:01 PM
I'm assuming that everyone has become so traumatised by the new handball rule that they've forgotten to mention it. I've never seen so many games ruined by seemingly arbitrary decisions as a result of it.

TV directors who cut away from where the ball is to focus on the manager, someone in the crowd, or a close-up of a player. This is usually done to illustrate some irrelevant garbage that the commentator is wittering on about.

The obsession some fans have with speculating about whether every player released by any club "could do a job for us", even when it's clearly-knackered journeymen or youth players from lower division teams.

stuart-farquhar
17-06-2021, 12:52 PM

Yeah! They should have a counter to display how many are left.

Pagan Hibernia
17-06-2021, 03:03 PM
People who moan about seagulls at ER.

I mean the chances of being s**t on are really quite small, are they really that big of an issue for people?

I actually quite like them.

EI255
17-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Reporters asking players "how important was it to win today?" Must be one of the stupidest questions of all time..... :doh:Definitely a game of two halves

Keyser Sauzee
17-06-2021, 08:36 PM
When players are described as having been out in the wilderness.

EI255
18-06-2021, 06:22 AM
Players kissing their wrists when they enter / leave the field.

WTF?

JimBHibees
18-06-2021, 06:25 AM

WTF?

Agree or that hopping onto the pitch thing when subs come on or the finger in the ear celebration. Wtf yes I am that old. :greengrin

Dalianwanda
18-06-2021, 06:31 AM
Players putting their hands in front of their mouths when speaking....What you have to say isnt that interesting or important

green day
18-06-2021, 06:34 AM
Players putting their hands in front of their mouths when speaking....What you have to say isnt that interesting or important

Yet another negative outcome of media training. Its made a complete mockery in Covid times where loads of the bad words are picked up on the pitchside mics.

J-C
18-06-2021, 07:01 AM

WTF?

Usually kissing the names of their kids/parents etc tattooed there

Key West
18-06-2021, 07:19 AM
Hearts making big announcements which in reality mean nothing.

Jones28
18-06-2021, 08:13 AM
Hearts making big announcements which in reality mean nothing.

Got to disagree, the rambling statements give us a great insight in to the Budge dream factory.

Since452
18-06-2021, 08:17 AM
The tartan army all standing with their arms folded in unison like that is the way you are required to stand at a Scotland game :greengrin

One Day Soon
18-06-2021, 09:58 AM
Champions league
Celtic
Rangers
Coloured boots

I think you just don't like pussies.
Your list missed out Richard Gordon for being Richard Gordon.

One Day Soon
18-06-2021, 10:04 AM

Yeah the curmudgeon in me says all of these plus our own Tartan Toadies need to all get in the sea.

Plus people who say get in the sea.

One Day Soon
18-06-2021, 10:07 AM
Have we done Hibernian throw-ins/throws-in yet?

worcesterhibby
18-06-2021, 11:05 AM
supporters who love slagging off their own team and abusing their own players and club employees
BBC coverage of scottish football compared with their coverage of English football
Tom English
VAR

BILLYHIBS
18-06-2021, 11:08 AM
Have we done Hibernian throw-ins/throws-in yet?

Not had a plan A since the late great Erich Schaedler

Joke !

NAE NOOKIE
18-06-2021, 12:01 PM
Half & half scarves.

Socks over the knees ... next thing players will be wearing suspender belts :confused:

As somebody mentioned ... the half way up the calves Oli McBurnie style .. bloody hellish.

Pundits ( yes you Alan Shearer ) who say a player should have scored when the keeper was two feet away and it was physically impossible to get the ball past him.

Folk who have had professional coaching since they were 6 years old, who are actually paid to play football and who can't pass a ball 20 yards accurately under minimal pressure. And on that note, the incredibly annoying sight of passes being played to the feet of, or behind, an advancing player instead of a few feet in front of him so he can maintain his momentum ..... something Hibs players are particularly guilty of.

The reasoning rife in professional football that its ok for a defender to shoot 10 feet over the bar or past the post from a really good chance because he's a defender .... if yer paid to play the game you should be good enough at football to at least work the keeper no matter what position you play.

Fitba :greengrin

Keith_M
19-06-2021, 09:39 AM

Only one of them was police and there was away fans at the game.

Having A police helicopter (plus one presumably from the TV company) flying around your house for two hours before a game at Hampden that is only 10-15% of capacity, has a handful of pretty harmless looking Croatia and Czech fans that happily mingled before and after the match so literally NO security risk... just like at the previous Scotland game (no matter what DH said).

NOTE: I'm obviously discounting the (circa) 5 year old child with the Croatia top that looked like it was going Tonto in the cafe in Cathcart Road before the game, just because it got the wrong flavour of Ice Cream. She DID look dangerous!

MyJo
19-06-2021, 11:08 AM

Marko Arnautovic issues apology as lip readers study furious celebration - Stoke-on-Trent Live (stokesentinel.co.uk) (https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marko-arnautovic-celebration-lip-reader-5527443)

Lip Reading Experts Reveal What Álvaro González Said To Neymar - SPORTbible (https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-lip-reading-experts-reveal-what-alvaro-gonzalez-said-to-neymar-20200920)

Jose Mourinho's touchline comments may be investigated by lip reader | Football News | Sky Sports (https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11523253/jose-mourinhos-touchline-comments-may-be-investigated-by-lip-reader)

Lip-reading experts reveal Ed Woodward DID tell Phil Jones off at West Ham | Daily Mail Online (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7493619/Manchester-United-fans-suggest-Ed-Woodward-snapped-Phil-Jones.html)

Nathan Redmond denies Pep Guardiola called him a w****r, despite expert lipreader's claims (thesun.co.uk) (https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5036723/pep-guardiola-nathan-redmond-lip-reader/)

Lip reader reveals what Sir Alex Ferguson REALLY said after watching Louis van Gaal's Manchester United fail - Mirror Online (https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/lip-reader-reveals-what-sir-7235724)

Lipreader Analyses What Raheem Sterling Said To Joe Gomez During Bust-Up - SPORTbible (https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-lipreader-analyses-what-raheem-sterling-said-to-joe-gomez-20191112)

Yeah totally can't understand why players feel the need to hide what they are saying during private conversations in front of cameras :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
19-06-2021, 12:02 PM

WTF?

Tattoos of family members names on thier wrists.

WoreTheGreen
19-06-2021, 12:12 PM
Wee baldy linesmen is it a prerequisite to be giving this gig

JXM73
19-06-2021, 12:36 PM
Over celebrating a draw

SaulGoodman
19-06-2021, 12:48 PM
I’m starting to think a lot of you just don’t like football tbh.

SaulGoodman
19-06-2021, 12:49 PM
Over celebrating a draw

That kept us in the tournament.

Scouse Hibee
19-06-2021, 01:53 PM
Celebrating one point from two games and no goals scored, and then talking about the third game being a realistic opportunity to win.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-06-2021, 02:14 PM
Wee baldy linesmen is it a prerequisite to be giving this gig

No.

Sir David Gray
19-06-2021, 02:16 PM
Celebrating one point from two games and no goals scored, and then talking about the third game being a realistic opportunity to win.

Still sore? :tee hee:

Scouse Hibee
19-06-2021, 04:04 PM
Still sore? :tee hee:

Didn’t even see the game, nothing to be sore about 😂

EI255
19-06-2021, 04:04 PM
Half & half scarves.

Socks over the knees ... next thing players will be wearing suspender belts :confused:

As somebody mentioned ... the half way up the calves Oli McBurnie style .. bloody hellish.

Pundits ( yes you Alan Shearer ) who say a player should have scored when the keeper was two feet away and it was physically impossible to get the ball past him.

Folk who have had professional coaching since they were 6 years old, who are actually paid to play football and who can't pass a ball 20 yards accurately under minimal pressure. And on that note, the incredibly annoying sight of passes being played to the feet of, or behind, an advancing player instead of a few feet in front of him so he can maintain his momentum ..... something Hibs players are particularly guilty of.

The reasoning rife in professional football that its ok for a defender to shoot 10 feet over the bar or past the post from a really good chance because he's a defender .... if yer paid to play the game you should be good enough at football to at least work the keeper no matter what position you play.

Fitba :greengrinSeem to remember Arsenal players all doing the tights thing with their socks

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-06-2021, 04:07 PM

When eleven superstars playing within themselves can't beat eleven boys playing for the jersey?

JimBHibees
19-06-2021, 04:08 PM

You still boogeying. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
20-06-2021, 12:46 AM
You still boogeying. :greengrin

Waiting on Scotland doing the Conga all the way home. 😁

EI255
20-06-2021, 02:06 PM
Not being able to drink beer in a stadium in Scotland

Bridge hibs
20-06-2021, 03:33 PM
Not being able to drink beer in a stadium in Scotland

Sent from my LG-H870 using TapatalkYou can

Key West
20-06-2021, 03:52 PM
The lack of vegetarian options at football matches.

Dalianwanda
20-06-2021, 04:12 PM
Marko Arnautovic issues apology as lip readers study furious celebration - Stoke-on-Trent Live (stokesentinel.co.uk) (https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marko-arnautovic-celebration-lip-reader-5527443)

Lip Reading Experts Reveal What Álvaro González Said To Neymar - SPORTbible (https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-lip-reading-experts-reveal-what-alvaro-gonzalez-said-to-neymar-20200920)

Jose Mourinho's touchline comments may be investigated by lip reader | Football News | Sky Sports (https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11523253/jose-mourinhos-touchline-comments-may-be-investigated-by-lip-reader)

Lip-reading experts reveal Ed Woodward DID tell Phil Jones off at West Ham | Daily Mail Online (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7493619/Manchester-United-fans-suggest-Ed-Woodward-snapped-Phil-Jones.html)

Nathan Redmond denies Pep Guardiola called him a w****r, despite expert lipreader's claims (thesun.co.uk) (https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5036723/pep-guardiola-nathan-redmond-lip-reader/)

Lip reader reveals what Sir Alex Ferguson REALLY said after watching Louis van Gaal's Manchester United fail - Mirror Online (https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/lip-reader-reveals-what-sir-7235724)

Lipreader Analyses What Raheem Sterling Said To Joe Gomez During Bust-Up - SPORTbible (https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-lipreader-analyses-what-raheem-sterling-said-to-joe-gomez-20191112)

Yeah totally can't understand why players feel the need to hide what they are saying during private conversations in front of cameras :rolleyes:

These are all to do with abuse or arguments? Have you seen a player covering their mouth in the middle of a rant? I’ve not.

Anyway the title of the thread is pet hates. Your obviously cool with it and that’s your prerogative 😉

Sudds_1
20-06-2021, 04:17 PM
The lack of vegetarian options at football matches.

Plenty at tynie....vegetables on and off the pitch 😇

H18 SFR
22-06-2021, 06:44 PM
Every time we watch a Scotland game on tv there is a feature about the celebrations in Serbia. Time to move on!

CropleyWasGod
22-06-2021, 06:48 PM
A big ask. 🙄

Ask is not a noun 😤

EI255
22-06-2021, 09:21 PM
We can look forward to the next tournament [emoji848]

WestCoastHibby
22-06-2021, 09:23 PM
People spouting pi5H on forums

oldbutdim
22-06-2021, 10:38 PM
A big ask. 🙄

Ask is not a noun 😤

Makes me seethe!

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2021, 04:22 AM
People spouting pi5H on forums
People pished spouting pish on forums

Hibs Class
23-06-2021, 06:07 AM
A big ask. 🙄

Ask is not a noun 😤

Not just football, now routinely used at work as well :grr:

One Day Soon
23-06-2021, 08:35 AM
The female Scottish (player?) interviewed on the radio this morning about last night's defeat and saying "now is the time for our big players to step up".

No, last night and in the Czech game were the times for our big players to step up.

Newry Hibs
23-06-2021, 09:54 AM
Displays of league tables that have points first and not games played:

Acceptable:
P W D L F A Pts
P GD Pts

Not acceptable
Pts P

The worst was some years ago when instead of games played it was games remaining.

Greenbeard
23-06-2021, 10:43 AM
"You've got this" when the you in question is pretty pish and struggling to achieve a pishy goal.

Tommy75
23-06-2021, 01:03 PM
Displays of league tables that have points first and not games played:

Acceptable:
P W D L F A Pts
P GD Pts

Not acceptable
Pts P

The worst was some years ago when instead of games played it was games remaining.

That annoys me too. Also annoying when they add in home/away columns

Kato
23-06-2021, 01:14 PM
All the great ideas on improving Scottish football arising after we have a "glorious failure " never being put into practice.

File along with the official "Think Tanks" being paid for and ignored.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

majorhibs
23-06-2021, 08:20 PM

Absolutely nowt wrong wi that!

IMO

BILLYHIBS
23-06-2021, 09:34 PM
Absolutely nowt wrong wi that!

IMO
Yip!

Learned my lesson early doors

Never again :greengrin

Radium
23-06-2021, 10:22 PM

Pished people arguing with pished people spouting pish on forums and then moaning that their phone wants to autocorrect pished to pushed

PatHead
23-06-2021, 10:31 PM
Pished people arguing with pished people spouting pish on forums and then moaning that their phone wants to autocorrect pished to pushed

What a load of push.

GRA
24-06-2021, 07:39 AM
Taking hypothetical goals that could have been scored and then adding them to the scoreline at the the game.

For example, go 1-0 behind, get penalty, miss penalty, equalise later and score finishes 1-1. Then say "If we'd scored the penalty we would have won 2-1". Not realising that if the penalty is scored that changes the whole pattern of the game.

Frustrates me every time :grr:

JXM73
24-06-2021, 08:53 AM
Scenes

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2021, 12:00 PM
Folk who say if it wasn’t for their goalie having a great game we would have won. The goalie is part of the team like any other player, you never hear the same folk saying if our striker hadn’t scored we wouldn’t have won.

Hibs Class
24-06-2021, 12:05 PM
A big ask. 🙄

Ask is not a noun 😤

Makes me seethe!

Not just football, now routinely used at work as well :grr:

This came up at work again yesterday....emboldened by this thread I wrote a reply explaining that ask is not a noun, just before sending thought I'd better check online dictionaries. Turns out it is a noun after all :confused:

nonshinyfinish
24-06-2021, 12:11 PM
This came up at work again yesterday....emboldened by this thread I wrote a reply explaining that ask is not a noun, just before sending thought I'd better check online dictionaries. Turns out it is a noun after all :confused:

Dictionaries document how language is used. Therefore if enough people use 'ask' as a noun, dictionaries will eventually include a definition of it as a noun.

(I don't know if it's the case here, but quite often usage that is thought to be a recent development and "wrong" turns out to be much older and has just drifted in and out.)

Wilson
24-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Dictionaries document how language is used. Therefore if enough people use 'ask' as a noun, dictionaries will eventually include a definition of it as a noun.

(I don't know if it's the case here, but quite often usage that is thought to be a recent development and "wrong" turns out to be much older and has just drifted in and out.)

I've seen it described as 'noun(informal)' which is probably as a result of usage.

It is a big ask expecting people to accept it though!

Billy Whizz
24-06-2021, 05:21 PM
The Brummie’s call all their teams starting with a the
The Villa
The Blues
The Baggies
The Wolves

Pretty Boy
24-06-2021, 06:41 PM
I've seen it described as 'noun(informal)' which is probably as a result of usage.

It is a big ask expecting people to accept it though!

The dictionary literally defines literally as the opposite of it's actual meaning due to usage.

'1.1informal Used for emphasis while not being literally true.'

I literally lost my head when I read that for the 1st time. I'm sure the trend was started by football commentators talking about players being 'literally on fire'.

HoboHarry
24-06-2021, 06:48 PM
Sevco, England and Hearts, in no particular order.....

theonlywayisup
24-06-2021, 06:51 PM
The Villa
The Blues
The Baggies
The Wolves

The Rangers

Pretty Boy
24-06-2021, 06:53 PM
Sevco, England and Hearts, in no particular order.....

Rangers
Rangers Colts
Rangers legends teams
Rangers youth teams
Rangers fans teams
Other teams with Rangers in their name
The Hearts equivalents of all of the above
Everyone else who isn't Hibs

brianmc
24-06-2021, 06:59 PM
The Villa
The Blues
The Baggies
The Wolves

Weird. The only time I've heard Birmingham City fans talking about their team they're referred to as "Blues" not "the Blues" - which I actually find even more annoying 😂

Kato
24-06-2021, 07:10 PM
The Baggies fans call The Wolves fans "The Dingles" as in the family off The Emmerdale...

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2021, 12:50 PM
The Baggies fans call The Wolves fans "The Dingles" as in the family off The Emmerdale...

It's quite a common insult down here, Blackpool call Burnley Dingles, Preston call Blackburn Dingles, and it's all vice versa too. :greengrin

Greenbeard
25-06-2021, 01:07 PM
It's quite a common insult down here, Blackpool call Burnley Dingles, Preston call Blackburn Dingles, and it's all vice versa too. :greengrin
Dinnae dangle your dongle at a Dingle.

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2021, 02:11 PM
Dinnae dangle your dongle at a Dingle.
:greengrin

Kojock
25-06-2021, 07:22 PM
Calling it footy, unless you’re from Australia it’s football.

Glory Lurker
25-06-2021, 07:57 PM
Calling it footy, unless you’re from Australia it’s football.

Nearly agree. It's football or fitba.

HoboHarry
25-06-2021, 08:16 PM
Nearly agree. It's football or fitba.
Bloody soccer if you ask my kids. Wife calls it footy but hey, who am I to pick an argument? :greengrin

Peevemor
25-06-2021, 08:46 PM
In France almost everyone calls it "le foot".

It took me years to get used to saying that without feeling stupid.