PDA

View Full Version : Top Scottish clubs to play in the Carabao Cup?

AliboyFC
11-06-2021, 12:02 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-bennett-pushes-rangers-celtic-24286169.amp

Imagine hibs playing in the Carabao Cup...

JohnM1875
11-06-2021, 12:04 AM
"Hypothetically, such a proposal would see Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen compete from next season"

No mention of the biggest ever team in the world of big teams ever? Shocking. Budge statement incoming, surely?

AliboyFC
11-06-2021, 12:06 AM
"Hypothetically, such a proposal would see Rangers, Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen compete from next season"

No mention of the biggest ever team in the world of big teams ever? Shocking. Budge statement incoming, surely?

Oh no. Absolute disgrace.

SteveHFC
11-06-2021, 12:17 AM
Liverpool Away please. :hyper

CMurdoch
11-06-2021, 01:48 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-bennett-pushes-rangers-celtic-24286169.amp

Thanks for telling us about what Rangers want and think should happen in another country to benefit them. As ever it won't be happening. They really need to show some dignity and stop scrounging for scraps from England's table every few months.

Bangkok Hibby
11-06-2021, 02:14 AM
Bennett has told the EFL it's in their best interests to explore the proposition because Rangers would easily sell out their away ticket allocation for any tie.

I'm sure every English city would welcome the Hun marauders with open arms!

EdinMike
11-06-2021, 02:33 AM
They are so desperate for the EPL money it’s borderline pathetic…

Since452
11-06-2021, 04:22 AM

To be fair it would give the big team a chance to finally win the Betfred cup since Jesus was in nappies. As long as they managed to avoid Alloa

Crunchie
11-06-2021, 04:52 AM

No thanks, it would dilute our chances of winning silverware.

Big_Franck
11-06-2021, 05:56 AM
I've zero interest in Hibs competing in English competitions.

As another poster has said I'm not sure local English councils would want thousands of neanderthal huns fighting with each other and destroying their city centres anyway.

Since452
11-06-2021, 06:23 AM
Thanks for telling us about what Rangers want and think should happen in another country to benefit them. As ever it won't be happening. They really need to show some dignity and stop scrounging for scraps from England's table every few months.

:agree: Its beyond cringeworthy. It'll be the football league trophy they'll be flashing their knickers at next. Embarrassing.

Tricla
11-06-2021, 06:43 AM
Bennett has told the EFL it's in their best interests to explore the proposition because Rangers would easily sell out their away ticket allocation for any tie.

I'm sure every English city would welcome the Hun marauders with open arms!

How is this a selling point? It's not like English fixtures have an attendance issue in any competition.

He's here!
11-06-2021, 07:03 AM
I quite like the idea. It would add a bit of glamour and variety to our game, which I feel can get a bit dull with the same old opponents. I also think the standard of our game has slipped of late (probably not helped by the soulless crowd-free games for the last 18 months) so it would be interesting to see how our clubs stack up against the English ones.

HH81
11-06-2021, 07:05 AM
How is this a selling point? It's not like English fixtures have an attendance issue in any competition.

League Cup is played in a lot of empty grounds until the QF.

I remember going to Bolton v Spurs few years back and was about 4000 there. Strong teams too and think it finished 4-3.

Still don't think it's a good idea.

Diclonius
11-06-2021, 07:32 AM
Sounds good, all for it. My only complaint is that it should be more - been in favour of a full-scale "British Cup" for years.

Glory Lurker
11-06-2021, 07:39 AM
No thanks.

Jones28
11-06-2021, 07:42 AM
Ehm, why? We have our own league cup competition. Am I **** doing a 600 mile round trip for a game against some League 1 nonsense.

Hibs1969
11-06-2021, 08:15 AM
Why don’t we rename it The Texaco Cup and be done with it?

CMurdoch
11-06-2021, 09:25 AM
Why don’t we rename it The Texaco Cup and be done with it?

Hearts reached the final of that tournament in 1971 where they lost 3-2 on aggregate to Wolves despite winning the away second leg 0-1.
I have the programme for the home leg they lost 1-3.

Motherwell knocked Spurs out in the quarter finals that season over 2 legs!
Lost the 1st leg 3-2 at White Hart Lane before beating them 3-1 in the return at Fir Park.

Kaff
11-06-2021, 09:42 AM
Agree with some others.
Scottish football has its own identity and we should work at improving that internally rather than get swallowed up by the game down South.
European competition gives the top 5 teams in Scotland the prospect of exciting competition at new grounds and creating extra income, we 'just' need to improve our results and the money will come too.
Tbf Rangers have improved considerably in that respect

EI255
11-06-2021, 09:57 AM

Imagine hibs playing in the Carabao Cup...God help any English club (town/City) selling out an away end of Huns!

For that very reason, it'll never happen. The Huns have ruined any chance we might have had.

Since452
11-06-2021, 10:04 AM
Agree with some others.
Scottish football has its own identity and we should work at improving that internally rather than get swallowed up by the game down South.
European competition gives the top 5 teams in Scotland the prospect of exciting competition at new grounds and creating extra income, we 'just' need to improve our results and the money will come too.
Tbf Rangers have improved considerably in that respect

:agree: I absolutely love Scottish football. The passion is unrivalled and i don't believe the standard is anywhere near as bad as some folk make out. English football holds no appeal for me whatsoever and i hope Hibs go nowhere near it other than the occasional pre season trip.

neil7908
11-06-2021, 10:05 AM
It would be a semi interesting novelty for the first couple of years but would get boring very quickly. We'd have 0 chance of getting to the later rounds. Not keen personally.

danhibees1875
11-06-2021, 10:15 AM
Sounds good, all for it. My only complaint is that it should be more - been in favour of a full-scale "British Cup" for years.

Same. :agree:

I'd go for something like every other year, and either replacing the league cup for that year or as an additional tournament.

I think it would be really interesting to have and open us up to a few exciting trips away. As already mentioned it would be good to see us stack up against English clubs too and see how we fair.

jacomo
11-06-2021, 10:47 AM
It would be a semi interesting novelty for the first couple of years but would get boring very quickly. We'd have 0 chance of getting to the later rounds. Not keen personally.

I think it would stay interesting. Man City are unusual for a big English club in taking the league cup seriously - many don’t, so there would be potential for upsets.

Some disgraceful behaviour by Rangers fans would probably see the whole idea binned after one season anyhow.

NAE NOOKIE
11-06-2021, 10:49 AM
Saying "we would sell out our away allocation no problem" might be a selling point for a competition that doesn't register in England until the semi final stage, but not when that allocation is going to the Orcs .... the fitba equivalent of asking a club if you can store 50 tons of manure in their centre circle.

It's always attractive to have the prospect of away days to places you haven't been to before, but at the end of the day it's a competition no Scottish club has a hope of winning, in the last 10 seasons only Swansea have won it outside of the top 5 teams in England, there will be no Wembley trip for the likes of us. Europe is worth being in coz it's exotic, there's nothing exotic about most of our possible destinations darn saff.

If Hibs are ever to play in a British set up it would only be acceptable as part of a league system where our potential as a club and the city we play in would ( and I'm in no doubt it would ) be attractive to investors who could pump in the sort of money enabling us to attract the players to make us truly competitive.

Moulin Yarns
11-06-2021, 11:18 AM
I quite like the idea. It would add a bit of glamour and variety to our game, which I feel can get a bit dull with the same old opponents. I also think the standard of our game has slipped of late (probably not helped by the soulless crowd-free games for the last 18 months) so it would be interesting to see how our clubs stack up against the English ones.

I wonder if this is the latest attempt at strengthen the union 🙄

NAE NOOKIE
11-06-2021, 11:43 AM
I wonder if this is the latest attempt at strengthen the union 🙄

As an advert for the union followers of 'the Rangurz' are a selling point in the same way as the Waffen SS were a good advert for leather coats :greengrin

Iggy Pope
11-06-2021, 11:55 AM
Hearts reached the final of that tournament in 1971 where they lost 3-2 on aggregate to Wolves despite winning the away second leg 0-1.
I have the programme for the home leg they lost 1-3.

Motherwell knocked Spurs out in the quarter finals that season over 2 legs!
Lost the 1st leg 3-2 at White Hart Lane before beating them 3-1 in the return at Fir Park.

I seem to remember Hearts getting an awful doing from Burnley or someone. 0-5 maybe.

Pagan Hibernia
11-06-2021, 12:08 PM
I’d rather we focus on winning our own League Cup.

AliboyFC
11-06-2021, 03:34 PM

Yes but I am all for it if it involves us.

Eyrie
11-06-2021, 06:33 PM
Not sure how we (or the Ugly Sisters or Aberdeen) are meant to fit the fixtures in when we're going to be playing in four competitions already.

Billy Whizz
11-06-2021, 06:41 PM
Not sure how we (or the Ugly Sisters or Aberdeen) are meant to fit the fixtures in when we're going to be playing in four competitions already.

Eyrie, think this is the key point in all this discussion
The football calendar is already too busy for players

Joe6-2
11-06-2021, 06:46 PM

Exactly my first thoughts, who the f*** do they think they are?!!

Ronniekirk
11-06-2021, 06:53 PM
Eyrie, think this is the key point in all this discussion
The football calendar is already too busy for players

Agree but greedy owners and no longer care about players it’s all about money money money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
11-06-2021, 07:31 PM

Hearts will be playing in the FA Vase.

CMurdoch
12-06-2021, 01:42 AM
I seem to remember Hearts getting an awful doing from Burnley or someone. 0-5 maybe.

The season they were runners up they lost 3-1 away to Burnley in the 1st round 1st leg but beat them 4-1 in the return leg.

Hearts played in the tournament in all the 5 seasons it existed.
The tournament was for teams that hadn't qualified for Europe so Hibs never played in it.

Northern Irish and ROI teams played in it the first 2 seasons but didn't appear after that.
Airdrie were the only other Scottish team to make it to a final but again lost by a goal over 2 legs to Derby County.

Magpie
12-06-2021, 01:49 AM
Rangers should focus on winning their own version of the League Cup before requesting to take part elsewhere.

Calmbegbie
12-06-2021, 08:27 AM
We would probably get millwall away

LancsHibs
12-06-2021, 09:23 AM
Think it’s a great idea, a potential money spinner and would create a lot of excitement, interest and raise our profile. Any English club would relish a trip to Edinburgh and bring a large support.
Who’s for an away trip to Newcastle, London, Brighton or Blackpool or do you fancy yet another trip to Greenock, Motherwell, Hamilton or Airdrie?
As for the Orcs not being welcomed, the truth down here is that they are very popular and would be welcomed wherever they were drawn, even in Manchester!
The club should be looking to expand our horizons and escape the micro fishbowl we currently compete in. We definitely do not want to pass up any opportunities and get left behind! Even if the result is it diminishes the chance of winning a piece of silver wear.

Calmbegbie
12-06-2021, 09:48 AM
Think it’s a great idea, a potential money spinner and would create a lot of excitement, interest and raise our profile. Any English club would relish a trip to Edinburgh and bring a large support.
Who’s for an away trip to Newcastle, London, Brighton or Blackpool or do you fancy yet another trip to Greenock, Motherwell, Hamilton or Airdrie?
As for the Orcs not being welcomed, the truth down here is that they are very popular and would be welcomed wherever they were drawn, even in Manchester!
The club should be looking to expand our horizons and escape the micro fishbowl we currently compete in. We definitely do not want to pass up any opportunities and get left behind! Even if the result is it diminishes the chance of winning a piece of silver wear.

This, with bells on. Agree wholeheartedly