PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Club - sunnyside

tam4hibs
07-06-2021, 05:15 PM
Looking to join for a new pre match venue for a pint- given so many pubs now closed.

Know you have to join an associated club - Milton Mowbray seems closest to me but no contact details? Anyone know of any?

And what’s the deal, is it all members only, guests with a member or visitors allowed? I’d could I pop over next week to watch the Scotland game and apply then?

Sorry - prob been asked a million times but searching Hibs Supporters Club on the forum gave me a helluva lot of results!

BILLYHIBS
07-06-2021, 05:26 PM
I tried two seasons ago now - full up - it was back to the Windsor Buffet for me and my mates

Best of luck

BS44
07-06-2021, 05:26 PM
Monktonharp ran the Milton Mowbray bus, isn't on here as much these days.

Trying sending him a message

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?351716-FAO-Milton-Mowbray-Branch-supporters

Anybody heard that Hibs Club have been hit with a really hefty bill for roof repairs, and they've asked Ron Gordon to help out with some of the cost?

tam4hibs
07-06-2021, 05:32 PM
I tried two seasons ago now - full up - it was back to the Windsor Buffet for me and my mates

Best of luck

Thanks mate.

darwenhibby
07-06-2021, 05:34 PM
Any body know of pubs with spaces for 3 people for Monday’s game?
Fancy watching the game somewhere in Edinburgh

CMurdoch
07-06-2021, 05:50 PM

Anybody heard that Hibs Club have been hit with a really hefty bill for roof repairs, and they've asked Ron Gordon to help out with some of the cost?

I heard one of the rooms has a roof leak so it is possible but not sure why they would approach Ron Gordon to pay their bills.

BS44
07-06-2021, 05:58 PM
I heard one of the rooms has a roof leak so it is possible but not sure why they would approach Ron Gordon

Was told it is a major repair and it's going to cost a lot of money to fix it, Hibs Club supposedly asked Ron for some of the cash as a interest free loan.

Billy Whizz
07-06-2021, 06:02 PM
Was told it is a major repair and it's going to cost a lot of money to fix it, Hibs Club supposedly asked Ron for some of the cash as a interest free loan.

What you’re saying is one of the Hibs club staff, has asked Ron to pony up😂

Frazerbob
07-06-2021, 06:03 PM
Any body know of pubs with spaces for 3 people for Monday’s game?
Fancy watching the game somewhere in Edinburgh

I’ve got space at Piper’s Rest mate. Free half time pies & a pint if we win. Book here

https://thepipersrest.co.uk/book-now.html

BS44
07-06-2021, 06:12 PM
What you’re saying is one of the Hibs club staff, has asked Ron to pony up😂

I'm not sure how the club operates but I'll guess it wasn't the head barman/woman or any of the other bar workers, not the cleaner either

The HSA possibly

tam4hibs
07-06-2021, 06:35 PM
I’ve got space at Piper’s Rest mate. Free half time pies & a pint if we win. Book here

Full buddy

tricky
07-06-2021, 10:57 PM

Hi do you have space for last two group games?

Frazerbob
08-06-2021, 09:09 AM
Hi do you have space for last two group games?

I’ve space for the Czech and Croatia games.

Send me a PM with numbers, time and phone number and I’ll get you booked in.

Frazerbob
08-06-2021, 09:10 AM
Full buddy

Got plenty tables available. Just booked via the link no problem. Send me a pm with numbers, time and phone number and I’ll get you booked in.

Mon Dieu4
08-06-2021, 09:34 AM
Got plenty tables available. Just booked via the link no problem. Send me a pm with numbers, time and phone number and I’ll get you booked in.

4 of us are already booked in, looking forward to it and the big man's cooking again!

franks
08-06-2021, 09:48 AM

Monktonharp is the chair of Milton Mowbray so a PM is the way to go.

Roof repairs are required at HSA and they won't be cheap but have heard nothing of asking Ron Gordon for a loan. The HSA have given a lot of money to Hibs over the years.

CMurdoch
08-06-2021, 10:20 AM
Monktonharp is the chair of Milton Mowbray so a PM is the way to go.

Roof repairs are required at HSA and they won't be cheap but have heard nothing of asking Ron Gordon for a loan. The HSA have given a lot of money to Hibs over the years.

They probably should have saved it for a rainy day roof repair instead of giving it to Hibs to burn through.

HSL should agree to give them a months contributions instead of giving it to Hibs.
It would benefit Hibs supporters more than giving Ron another £20k for his club.

Brizo
08-06-2021, 10:24 AM
I'm hearing Fags n Matches have been asked to reform and play a benefit gig for the roof repairs (once COVID allows)

CMurdoch
08-06-2021, 10:32 AM
I'm hearing Fags n Matches have been asked to reform and play a benefit gig for the roof repairs (once COVID allows)

I thought it was a big bill?

tamig
08-06-2021, 05:27 PM
They probably should have saved it for a rainy day roof repair instead of giving it to Hibs to burn through.

HSL should agree to give them a months contributions instead of giving it to Hibs.
It would benefit Hibs supporters more than giving Ron another £20k for his club.
Was that a tongue in cheek comment? The HSL money goes to the Football Club. Nothing else. We don’t want it becoming an FOH where the money is used as a slush fund for whoever decides they need it.

Gerard
08-06-2021, 06:41 PM
Does the club have a major repair bill
If it does perhaps a crowd funding can be created

O'Rourke3
08-06-2021, 07:20 PM
Does the club have a major repair bill
If it does perhaps a crowd funding can be createdI endorse the sentiment but why would non nembers conribute to a social club they cant use? I'd have thought the members ought to be first in line.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Gerard
08-06-2021, 07:23 PM
I endorse the sentiment but why would non nembers conribute to a social club they cant use? I'd have thought the members ought to be first in line.

I agree the members should contribute and if other people who visit the club want to contribute , so be it. As a member I am happy to contribute to such a fund.

hibbydad
08-06-2021, 08:27 PM
I agree the members should contribute and if other people who visit the club want to contribute , so be it. As a member I am happy to contribute to such a fund.
It is a major roof bill have not heard anything about asking RG for money

Gerard
08-06-2021, 08:49 PM
It is a major roof bill have not heard anything about asking RG for money

Do you know how much this repair is going to cost

offshorehibby
08-06-2021, 09:31 PM
Under normal circumstances i would be surprised if the HSA didn't have enough money in the funds for a roof repair, they are generally a well run club but goodness knows what covid and being closed for several months has done to it.

I do believe they still haven't had last years AGM and election of new office bearers. July the 18th has been identified as the earliest day for holding the much-delayed AGM, dependent on restrictions being further relaxed.

The repairs required for the roof remain outstanding and the current Trustees have further indicated that they will not commit to instructing this major work be carried out, preferring the final decision to be made once the new Trustees are in place.

JimBHibees
09-06-2021, 06:05 AM
Under normal circumstances i would be surprised if the HSA didn't have enough money in the funds for a roof repair, they are generally a well run club but goodness knows what covid and being closed for several months has done to it.

I do believe they still haven't had last years AGM and election of new office bearers. July the 18th has been identified as the earliest day for holding the much-delayed AGM, dependent on restrictions being further relaxed.

Would this not be covered by insurance?

JimBHibees
09-06-2021, 06:07 AM
I endorse the sentiment but why would non nembers conribute to a social club they cant use? I'd have thought the members ought to be first in line.

As a goodwill gesture if they have used the club in the past and recognise how important the club is to having a strong Hibs supporting community.

adam middlemass
09-06-2021, 06:28 AM
As a goodwill gesture if they have used the club in the past and recognise how important the club is to having a strong Hibs supporting community.
I used to go into the club, many moons ago. But I would be happy to contribute.:thumbsup:

scoopyboy
09-06-2021, 07:00 AM

I donate monthly to HSL for the direct benefit to Hibernian Football Club, not a social club.

I have nothing but admiration for the club in Sunnyside Lane and what they have done for Hibs in years gone by but this is something they need to sort for themselves IMHO.

Andy74
09-06-2021, 07:06 AM
I donate monthly to HSL for the direct benefit to Hibernian Football Club, not a social club.

I have nothing but admiration for the club in Sunnyside Lane and what they have done for Hibs in years gone by but this is something they need to sort for themselves IMHO.
Agree, it is a members club and there’s no way HSL funds should be going near this!

Jones28
09-06-2021, 07:26 AM

Eh, naw? :confused:

Since90+2
09-06-2021, 07:29 AM
HSL shouldn't be donating any money to fix the roof. The Hibs club is a closed membership group that a small percentage of Hibs supporters use.

I donate money to HSL so they can provide funds to the football club not a social club with no official links to the club.

hibbydad
09-06-2021, 07:53 AM
Do you know how much this repair is going to cost
I believe in the region of £50k

JimBHibees
09-06-2021, 08:21 AM

Think that is right. Two very different things.

invisible man
09-06-2021, 10:21 AM
Yes, there is a substantial repair required on the roof, details of which will be discussed at our AGM.

No, we haven't asked Ron, or HSL, for any money.

oneone73
09-06-2021, 10:47 AM
Yes, there is a substantial repair required on the roof, details of which will be discussed at our AGM.

No, we haven't asked Ron, or HSL, for any money.

Who said that?

Sorry, couldn't resist

CMurdoch
09-06-2021, 11:10 AM
Was that a tongue in cheek comment? The HSL money goes to the Football Club. Nothing else. We don’t want it becoming an FOH where the money is used as a slush fund for whoever decides they need it.

I have been to the Hibs club a handful of times in my life so no vested interest.
Thought my comment would stimulate some debate which it did.

Here is another:
What would have been best value for Hibs or HSL
A. giving the Hibs Club £50k to fix their roof which will benefit Hibs supporters for the next 30 years
B. giving SDG £250k to sit in the stand for the last 2 years*

*Not SDG's fault

ahibby
09-06-2021, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=oneone73;6590115]Who said that?

You are hearing things.

Since90+2
09-06-2021, 11:13 AM
I have been to the Hibs club a handful of times in my life so no vested interest.
Thought my comment would stimulate some debate which it did.

Here is another:
What would have been best value for Hibs or HSL
A. giving the Hibs Club £50k to fix their roof
B. giving SDG £50k to sit in the stand for 20 weeks*

*Not SDG's fault

The money is not paid so SDG can sit in the stand as you say. It's paid to the club for them to use as they see fit not fix the roof of a members club that the majority of people who pay into HSL probably aren't even members of.

CMurdoch
09-06-2021, 11:20 AM
The money is not paid so SDG can sit in the stand as you say. It's paid to the club for them to use as they see fit not fix the roof of a members club that the majority of people who pay into HSL probably aren't even members of.

I agree they should pay their own bill.
500 members at £100 each equals £50k.
How many members does the club have?

Gerard
09-06-2021, 11:52 AM
I agree they should pay their own bill.
500 members at £100 each equals £50k.
How many members does the club have?

I would be happy to donate money to help my club repair the roof
I do not know how many members the club has

CMurdoch
09-06-2021, 12:14 PM
I would be happy to donate money to help my club repair the roof
I do not know how many members the club has

I have tried to join a few times over the years but membership was always full so hopefully that indicates a large membership which means the roof can be repaired with minimum pain and minimum cost for all.

offshorehibby
09-06-2021, 12:15 PM
Had to read back this thread in case i'd missed anything.

I'm a member of the Hibs club but lucky if i'm in there once or twice a year so i'm not in the know. The way this thread is starting to sound is that the HSA have got the begging bowl out looking for donations. To my knowledge this is not the case but close to becoming aHibs.net fact.

The Hibs club has always been a well run club and it's only covid, current restrictions and office beares that are stopping them fixing the roof

DIXIHIBS
09-06-2021, 12:20 PM

I'm a member of the Hibs club but lucky if i'm in there once or twice a year so i'm not in the know. The way this thread is starting to sound is that the HSA have got the begging bowl out looking for donations. To my knowledge this is not the case but close to becoming aHibs.net fact.

The Hibs club has always been a well run club and it's only covid, current restrictions and office beares that are stopping them fixing the roof

Well said. The club has asked for nothing. No decisions on funding the roof can be taken until the upcoming AGM. Nothing like a rumour overtaking a fact.

CMurdoch
09-06-2021, 12:28 PM

Your right.
I apologise for my naughty additions which prolonged the life of an already distorted thread.
Was having a bit of fun with my HSL chums. They bit mercilessly :greengrin

matty_f
09-06-2021, 05:45 PM
Hibs Club confirmed on Facebook that they’ve not approached Hibs or anyone for money for the repairs.

We can put that rumour to bed now.

Hibs4185
09-06-2021, 06:03 PM
Should sell Hibs club for flats and use the money to build a new one between the North and East stand with function rooms overlooking the pitch plus a few more seats.

Iggy Pope
09-06-2021, 06:18 PM
Your right.
I apologise for my naughty additions which prolonged the life of an already distorted thread.
Was having a bit of fun with my HSL chums. They bit mercilessly :greengrin

Shan patter!!! (If that’s still a thing)
I was a Hawkhill man for years since 1976 indeed, formative, adult and also behaving not so adult and spent many happy times in that club. Helped make me and lots like me the Hibbies we are.
If a fighting fund is required I’ll happily divert my funds from HSL for a couple of months to help, seeing as you suggested it, although to my knowledge the Hibs Club never ask for money other than through reaffiliations or the price of your drink.

tam4hibs
09-06-2021, 06:26 PM
Hibs Club confirmed on Facebook that they’ve not approached Hibs or anyone for money for the repairs.

We can put that rumour to bed now.

Ace. Can get back to my original point about… eh… think it was how to join, is there capacity and in the mean time is visitors allowed… 😂

bingo70
09-06-2021, 06:29 PM
Ace. Can get back to my original point about… eh… think it was how to join, is there capacity and in the mean time is visitors allowed… 😂

If you buy them a new roof they’ll let you in for a pint to watch the Scotland game I think.

BS44
09-06-2021, 07:15 PM
If the rumour came from me on this thread, then I'd like to apologise to the committee if my rubbish gossip has caused any grief

Crunchie
09-06-2021, 08:02 PM
Shan patter!!! (If that’s still a thing)
I was a Hawkhill man for years since 1976 indeed, formative, adult and also behaving not so adult and spent many happy times in that club. Helped make me and lots like me the Hibbies we are.
If a fighting fund is required I’ll happily divert my funds from HSL for a couple of months to help, seeing as you suggested it, although to my knowledge the Hibs Club never ask for money other than through reaffiliations or the price of your drink.
Was the bus the Hawkhill branch run affectionately known as Maude's picnic bus?

DIXIHIBS
09-06-2021, 08:07 PM

It was known as the picnic branch but you were near enough!!

tam4hibs
09-06-2021, 08:35 PM
If the rumour came from me on this thread, then I'd like to apologise to the committee if my rubbish gossip has caused any grief

Literally a night on the tiles

Hibbyradge
09-06-2021, 09:48 PM
It was known as the picnic branch but you were near enough!!

Scarves off!!!

Brightside
10-06-2021, 06:38 AM

Call the club ask them which branches are taking new members. Pay the branch and the club. Then youre in. Assuming they haven’t stopped new members.

oneone73
10-06-2021, 07:03 AM
Call the club ask them which branches are taking new members. Pay the branch and the club. Then youre in. Assuming they haven’t stopped new members.

You pay the branch, not the club. And you have to be proposed and seconded. That's if they're taking new members.

Jones28
10-06-2021, 07:48 AM
You pay the branch, not the club. And you have to be proposed and seconded. That's if they're taking new members.

How does the handshake work?

DIXIHIBS
10-06-2021, 08:13 AM
How does the handshake work?

The hibs club is actually the association of hibs supporters clubs. IE many different clubs/branches under one (leaking) roof. Southern,stanton,central, carlton st pats and many others. Some branches may be full, others may not. Just ask. Its a good club and handy before/after games.

surreyhibbie
10-06-2021, 02:50 PM
Very rarely get in to the club as I live so far away, but love it for a pint or three.

I joined St pat's online from down here, no problems at all.

Would be more than happy to chip in to help with the roof when the details are known.

Iggy Pope
10-06-2021, 10:47 PM

Only by affectionate curmudgeons that wouldn't have known a good bus when it hit them in the face!
A full bus every time when other branches struggled to do so. The picnic branch stuff came about on the back of a birthday cake one day. That bus outlived the likes of rivals like St Giles, Edinburgh West, Stanton and the like (as I arranged seats for many of them when they had no bus) and picnics were enjoyed by many and drink was partaken by some legendary figures.
"Scarves off bad area" would come the cry from a wummin that just wanted her windaes back in one piece.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-06-2021, 11:43 PM
Only by affectionate curmudgeons that wouldn't have known a good bus when it hit them in the face!
A full bus every time when other branches struggled to do so. The picnic branch stuff came about on the back of a birthday cake one day. That bus outlived the likes of rivals like St Giles, Edinburgh West, Stanton and the like (as I arranged seats for many of them when they had no bus) and picnics were enjoyed by many and drink was partaken by some legendary figures.
"Scarves off bad area" would come the cry from a wummin that just wanted her windaes back in one piece.

Did she ever hear about the events in the boozer in Perth after that 5 a side tournament? Those were the days! 🍺

Hulk1875
10-06-2021, 11:45 PM
Hibs club too much of a clique used to go in alright about 10 year ago but now you can’t just go in for a pint

Hulk1875
10-06-2021, 11:47 PM

Buses I loved was 40/50 seater away to aberdeen then a wee stop if at Kinross and fill your pockets now I’m in my 30s I see it was wrong but that’s what footballs about, groups of your mates feeling invincible but as you get older you see how daft you were but never regret it

Crunchie
11-06-2021, 05:00 AM
I travelled on that bus a few times myself, never had any issues with it and Maude was a character alright :aok:. I remember those cries well, especially when approaching Ibrox, that was back in the day when you arrived at the club early to see what buses had seats left, happy days when I was a regular traveller.

hibbydad
11-06-2021, 06:16 AM
Hibs club too much of a clique used to go in alright about 10 year ago but now you can’t just go in for a pint
I am a comparitively new member of the Hibs club and have found it very welcoming. As someone whose wife had passed away I found that I made new friends and it was great for me.

Bearders
11-06-2021, 06:40 AM

I can’t speak for St Giles or Edinburgh West but disagree on Stanton. In fact Stanton had a small number of seats set aside for St Giles members.

Brightside
11-06-2021, 08:25 AM

I go in pre most games. Never seen anything clique about it. Its generally members only for games now as we have much higher attendances. That not a clique. We do the same on .net when it gets too busy.

Iggy Pope
11-06-2021, 12:01 PM
I can’t speak for St Giles or Edinburgh West but disagree on Stanton. In fact Stanton had a small number of seats set aside for St Giles members.

They did but by around 1985 they weren’t travelling as far as I recall.

Iggy Pope
11-06-2021, 12:03 PM
Did she ever hear about the events in the boozer in Perth after that 5 a side tournament? Those were the days! 🍺

I think we kept that from her to her death bed C.

Iggy Pope
11-06-2021, 12:12 PM
I travelled on that bus a few times myself, never had any issues with it and Maude was a character alright :aok:. I remember those cries well, especially when approaching Ibrox, that was back in the day when you arrived at the club early to see what buses had seats left, happy days when I was a regular traveller.

You had to be early as the Hawkhill bus left ages before the rest and invariably no stops, straight to the game, as legend had it a certain someone had to get their before the team to sort out her “comps” 😁. Not stopping for a pint on the way to a long trip would create fury amongst the aulder fellahs like Willie Wallace and Willie Young (the latter actually did a wee bit of work at the club in his later years).
This often led to young ragamuffins like myself wandering about 1970s Aberdeen two hours early and trying to avoid getting a kicking.
By 1980s Aberdeen I embraced the additional time in the pub, making some very good friends amongst the ‘Hawkhill people’ AKA Mental Maude’s Green & White Army 🇳🇬😀

Bearders
11-06-2021, 02:20 PM

Stanton Branch were very much alive in those days - took a bus away to Videoton in 89. Joined on bus by Dalkeith/Bonnyrigg lads- took a good 30 minutes to load on their carry oot.

Hibernia&Alba
11-06-2021, 02:29 PM
I am a comparitively new member of the Hibs club and have found it very welcoming. As someone whose wife had passed away I found that I made new friends and it was great for me.

That's good to hear :aok:

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-06-2021, 02:36 PM
I think we kept that from her to her death bed C.

I've still not forgiven her for calling me a Jambo because I had the Jackpot pontoon ticket the week I told her I wouldn't be travelling on the bus anymore! 😄

silverhibee
11-06-2021, 02:45 PM

Used to travel on the Granton travel bus, crazy times, windows getting smashed every away game, it became the norm for it to happen back then.

Iggy Pope
11-06-2021, 04:12 PM
I've still not forgiven her for calling me a Jambo because I had the Jackpot pontoon ticket the week I told her I wouldn't be travelling on the bus anymore! 😄

She had some tongue. I lost it when she told an old pal of both of ours it was no wonder his wife left him!

Iggy Pope
11-06-2021, 04:13 PM
Stanton Branch were very much alive in those days - took a bus away to Videoton in 89. Joined on bus by Dalkeith/Bonnyrigg lads- took a good 30 minutes to load on their carry oot.

I know they were alive, I don’t recall them travelling every week. In fact I’m certain they didn’t.

BT58
11-06-2021, 06:59 PM
Used to travel with Maudes bus too, as soon as we hit Glesgae it was Scarve off.... Maude used to sell her pontoon tickets right away when we got home. Also she crammed the kids in ( no health and safety in those days) but she was a gem who will be and still is missed, she would be first to help if the club needed funds. If there is a fund to help the club im prepared to do the same with my hsl contributions.
B

DIXIHIBS
11-06-2021, 07:34 PM
I know they were alive, I don’t recall them travelling every week. In fact I’m certain they didn’t.

Mid 80s onwards i travelled on southern bus and stanton did have a bus every week. Along with carlton, edi west hawkhill etc. Be about 6 or 8 buses leaving club every back then, many more for the bigger games.

Bearders
11-06-2021, 07:46 PM

I can assure you they travelled every week Iggy. Vibrant branch back then with over 300 members - Player of Year Dance sell outs at Leith Assembly Rooms and ran several Sports Forums with guests featuring Wee Robbo, Goram, McCoist, Referee McGinlay to name a few.

northstandhibby
11-06-2021, 07:56 PM
Used to travel on the Granton travel bus, crazy times, windows getting smashed every away game, it became the norm for it to happen back then.

Travelled to Anderlecht on the Gunner bus. Over 30 of us packed onto a bus meant for about 22. Nae bother for a seat on the way back though as we seemed to have left half of the fans back in Brussels. What a journey that was. Great times.

DIXIHIBS
11-06-2021, 08:47 PM
The way fans travel to games has changed over the last 20 years or so. More go on train or by car. 80s 90s saw majority go by bus. 20 plus coaches was normal at away games. Great times.

offshorehibby
11-06-2021, 08:59 PM
Iggy Pope

Some great times in the Hibs Club late 70's and 80's with the various buses, some of the away days on Southern were great. Made a lot of good acquittances then who I'm still pally with and have a good drink with.

Some great interbranch football matches as well, Saturday mornings before the games.

Still a member but don't go in much but i can bet there are the same bonds and friendships being made these days wi the young team which will last 30 odd years later.

Oh I and Maude was a darling shacking her tin and selling her pontoons.

h1bs4life
11-06-2021, 09:07 PM
Travelled on the St Giles bus mid to late 70's there were some characters on that bus . Was on one of the buses to the 1979 Scottish Cup Final , a few windows smashed and quite a few seats spare on the way back as a few got lifted.
Still bump into 1 or 2 of them in the pubs of Leith .

Ringothedog
11-06-2021, 09:08 PM

I was on the Carlton bus that went on that trip. Great times

Crunchie
11-06-2021, 11:09 PM
Iggy Pope

Some great times in the Hibs Club late 70's and 80's with the various buses, some of the away days on Southern were great. Made a lot of good acquittances then who I'm still pally with and have a good drink with.

Some great interbranch football matches as well, Saturday mornings before the games.

Still a member but don't go in much but i can bet there are the same bonds and friendships being made these days wi the young team which will last 30 odd years later.

Oh I and Maude was a darling shacking her tin and selling her pontoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEyFwNlMqKg

What a team of characters lol

offshorehibby
12-06-2021, 07:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEyFwNlMqKg

What a team of characters lol

Haha, one of my claims to fame. We went onto win the league a season or so later :greengrin

green day
12-06-2021, 09:05 AM

Im booked in for Monday, looking forward to that pint already :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
13-06-2021, 06:32 AM
I've never been a member of the Hibs Club but was always without exception welcomed by the staff every time I darkened their doorstep. I've brought guests over from Germany on several occasions who even got the tour of the club. Hope they get sorted.

Hibrandenburg
13-06-2021, 06:37 AM
Travelled on the St Giles bus mid to late 70's there were some characters on that bus . Was on one of the buses to the 1979 Scottish Cup Final , a few windows smashed and quite a few seats spare on the way back as a few got lifted.
Still bump into 1 or 2 of them in the pubs of Leith .

I was on that bus that day. St Giles was definitely the go to home for radges back then.

Iggy Pope
13-06-2021, 12:51 PM
Haha, one of my claims to fame. We went onto win the league a season or so later :greengrin

Only after you and Stanton collaborated to rescind a Hawkhill win v Eddy West.
Chancers.

Iggy Pope
13-06-2021, 01:03 PM
I can assure you they travelled every week Iggy. Vibrant branch back then with over 300 members - Player of Year Dance sell outs at Leith Assembly Rooms and ran several Sports Forums with guests featuring Wee Robbo, Goram, McCoist, Referee McGinlay to name a few.

I know they did Bearders but when they stopped travelling Hawkhill were still going and we accommodated a few on our bus at the time as did some other branches, notably Southern and Central. Stanton were a fine branch with great lads and lassies, I’m not decrying any branch at all, just pointing out that the dear old “Picnic Bus” survived them..

I loved those early Saturday mornings with buses from all the branches juggling position and leaving the top of the lane to heat towards the Maybury or the Barnton - it was saddening when they reduced in number.

DIXIHIBS
13-06-2021, 03:02 PM
Only after you and Stanton collaborated to rescind a Hawkhill win v Eddy West.
Chancers.

Cant remember that? What happened? When southern won the league we won a play off with edi west after we finished the league all square. Dont think hawkhill involved at all.

Iggy Pope
13-06-2021, 07:57 PM
Cant remember that? What happened? When southern won the league we won a play off with edi west after we finished the league all square. Dont think hawkhill involved at all.

Hawkhill beat Edi West but there was a kangaroo court over a non member and Hawkhill never got our case heard.
Your bound to remember Hawkhilll being involved as you took a few skelpings.

Bit grand calling it a “league” mind you.

DIXIHIBS
13-06-2021, 10:29 PM
Hawkhill beat Edi West but there was a kangaroo court over a non member and Hawkhill never got our case heard.
Your bound to remember Hawkhilll being involved as you took a few skelpings.

Bit grand calling it a “league” mind you.

Think you misunderstood. I remember playing hawkhill many times and a few skelpings lol. Just that year we only lost one game and that was to edi west. As i remember they only lost one game and that was to stanton. Hence the play off. Your right about the league though. Think that year we played hawkhill,stanton, carlton, west,central and glasgow. Good times though. Do you still go to club? Im still going after nearly 40 years!! Many of the lads who played back then still go.

Iggy Pope
14-06-2021, 06:23 AM
Think you misunderstood. I remember playing hawkhill many times and a few skelpings lol. Just that year we only lost one game and that was to edi west. As i remember they only lost one game and that was to stanton. Hence the play off. Your right about the league though. Think that year we played hawkhill,stanton, carlton, west,central and glasgow. Good times though. Do you still go to club? Im still going after nearly 40 years!! Many of the lads who played back then still go.

I don’t mate but a few worthies from the Hawkhill side do and I still see them as well as my mate Stevie as we have been saddled with each other at games for nearly 50 years now. Still see a lot of the Southern lads too.
Edi West lost to us but got the points btw and I remember the name of the Stanton member that fronted the “committee” to do so but I’ll say no more :greengrin