PDA

View Full Version : European Super Cup

Renfrew_Hibby
03-06-2021, 04:27 PM
I see that Belfast has been awarded the hosting of the European Super Cup. This of course was played in Monaco for years but recently it's been played out in Cardiff and Prague. Now Windsor Park is getting it, is this not something that Hibs/Edinburgh should target?

.Sean.
03-06-2021, 07:39 PM
I see that Belfast has been awarded the hosting of the European Super Cup. This of course was played in Monaco for years but recently it's been played out in Cardiff and Prague. Now Windsor Park is getting it, is this not something that Hibs/Edinburgh should target?
Would it in normal circumstances be played there? Only holds about 18000 I think.

Pagan Hibernia
03-06-2021, 08:52 PM
Would it in normal circumstances be played there? Only holds about 18000 I think.

similar capacity to Monaco’s place which hosted it for about 15 years

Juniper Greens
03-06-2021, 08:55 PM
It's also been in tallinn and Albania. All similar sized grounds to Easter Road

PatHead
03-06-2021, 09:10 PM

Probably need the support of the SFA and as Edinburgh is not in Glasgow.......

Bristolhibby
03-06-2021, 09:52 PM
It's also been in tallinn and Albania. All similar sized grounds to Easter Road

Seem to recall it was in Tbilisi, Georgia the summer we were out there watching Scotland.

J

Green Man
03-06-2021, 10:22 PM
The Super Cup doesn’t seem to be anywhere near as big a deal as the champions league and europa league. I was in Prague when it was played there in 2013, and there was barely any indication that the match was being played in the city. We had hoped there would be fan zones, but all there was was a wee UEFA information kiosk.

Pagan Hibernia
04-06-2021, 10:26 AM
The Super Cup doesn’t seem to be anywhere near as big a deal as the champions league and europa league. I was in Prague when it was played there in 2013, and there was barely any indication that the match was being played in the city. We had hoped there would be fan zones, but all there was was a wee UEFA information kiosk.

it’s always been a nothing match as far as I’m concerned. A bit like claiming the community shield as a major trophy.

Allez Hibs
04-06-2021, 10:56 AM
it’s always been a nothing match as far as I’m concerned. A bit like claiming the community shield as a major trophy.

Aberdeen have a star above their crest for it.

danhibees1875
04-06-2021, 11:03 AM

And rangers have 5 that don't mean very much either. :wink:

gbhibby
04-06-2021, 06:09 PM
Nothing wrong with that. At least they won it. It's the league ones I don't get.

PatHead
04-06-2021, 08:59 PM
Nothing wrong with that. At least they won it. It's the league ones I don't get.

Especially when the club that one those leagues is dead ,defunct and has been replaced.

Peevemor
05-06-2021, 08:05 AM
Aberdeen have a star above their crest for it.Aberdeen's star will be for their European Cup Winners' Cup win. This was viewed as a major trophy at the time, not as important as the European Cup but at least on a par with the UEFA Cup.

The Super Cup has always been viewed more as a glamour friendly and in the earlier days was almost pre-season IIRC. I don't think anyone adds stars above their badge for it.

MWHIBBIES
05-06-2021, 09:42 AM
Aberdeen's star will be for their European Cup Winners' Cup win. This was viewed as a major trophy at the time, not as important as the European Cup but at least on a par with the UEFA Cup.

The Super Cup has always been viewed more as a glamour friendly and in the earlier days was almost pre-season IIRC. I don't think anyone adds stars above their badge for it.

They have 2 stars. One for each trophy.

Peevemor
05-06-2021, 09:43 AM
They have 2 stars. One for each trophy.Ah OK. I didn't realise that.

Had it been Hibs I don't know how I'd feel about that.

gbhibby
06-06-2021, 08:46 AM
Will Aberdeen be the only Scottish club to ever win that Trophy?

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2021, 11:24 AM

Not been in Monaco since 2012, agree it would be great to see it at Hibs.

Since452
06-06-2021, 11:38 AM
They tend to take it around the smaller, more obscure stadia now so would be Tynecastle and not Easter Road if it came to Edinburgh

Eyrie
06-06-2021, 01:16 PM
They tend to take it around the smaller, more obscure stadia now so would be Tynecastle and not Easter Road if it came to Edinburgh

The 19k capacity at the PBS would be small enough to make it eligible, but the pitch is too small to comply with UEFA requirements.

Kato
06-06-2021, 01:36 PM
The 19k capacity at the PBS would be small enough to make it eligible, but the pitch is too small to comply with UEFA requirements.

So, small but too small.

Pagan Hibernia
06-06-2021, 02:05 PM

correct. Can’t seriously be playing the super cup on a five a side pitch

Peevemor
06-06-2021, 02:08 PM
correct. Can’t seriously be playing the super cup on a five a side pitch

Super Striker cup maybe? (one for the oldies!)