PDA

View Full Version : Mark Milligan

ddoc
02-06-2021, 08:03 AM
Just announced his retirement, though staying on as a coach at MacArthur FC.

I thought we could have got another season out of him, but best wishes to him, he has had a pretty good career.

Leitherhibs
02-06-2021, 08:07 AM
I liked him as a holding midfielder, very decent disruptor and a good passer of the ball. Good pro by all accounts too!

Diclonius
02-06-2021, 08:22 AM
Did well in the Daryl Horgan game.

Since452
02-06-2021, 08:52 AM
Good player. Thought he was very underrated.

Allez Hibs
02-06-2021, 08:52 AM
Very good player!

ddoc
02-06-2021, 09:16 AM
Good player. Thought he was very underrated.

That mirrors my thoughts. He just sort of quietly went about doing what he was there to do, fairly effectively, in my opinion.
Heckingbottom thought he could get better and got rid.

Billy Whizz
02-06-2021, 09:32 AM
That mirrors my thoughts. He just sort of quietly went about doing what he was there to do, fairly effectively, in my opinion.
Heckingbottom thought he could get better and got rid.

And Hecky didn’t get better

Forza Fred
02-06-2021, 09:42 AM
Both Millsy and his wife were very happy being at Hibs and living in Edinburgh.

Apart from games against Celtic and Kilmarnock I thought he performed very, very well for us.

He scored a beauty from the edge of the box yesterday and ran to the sideline to cuddle his kids, which made me think he might be hanging up his boots.

Still got at least one game left to play.

A top bloke, and I’m sure, a guest of honour at a future Oz Hibs function

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-06-2021, 09:44 AM
Really good player. When Hecky let him and Barts go, I thought if we are bringing in better, he will be some player.

Tyler Durden
02-06-2021, 10:08 AM
Very average player in his time at Hibs. Couldn't run, passing was average and continually lost his man at set pieces.

Did hit some good form for a period and had some good displays in a back 3, including a 0-0 at Tynecastle.

Just shows that 100+ caps for Australia is pretty meaningless. He never played in a real top league at all.

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2021, 10:10 AM
Very average player in his time at Hibs. Couldn't run, passing was average and continually lost his man at set pieces.

Did hit some good form for a period and had some good displays in a back 3, including a 0-0 at Tynecastle.

Just shows that 100+ caps for Australia is pretty meaningless. He never played in a real top league at all.

Opinions eh, I thought he was a far better player than the one you describe, to describe his Australian caps as meaningless is way off the mark.

Tyler Durden
02-06-2021, 10:11 AM
Did well in the Daryl Horgan game.

He was marking Peter Haring and lost him as Hearts opened the scoring. Pretty big blot against his performance IMO.

Tyler Durden
02-06-2021, 10:15 AM
Opinions eh, I thought he was a far better player than the one you describe, to describe his Australian caps as meaningless is way off the mark.

Meaningless was a poor choice of words. It's not an indicator of any great quality.

We had people exaggerating Milligan's quality as he had so many caps and had played at the World Cup. In reality he wasn't anything special at Hibs level.

Jackson Irvine had similar fanfare and comments that we had no chance of signing him. Despite the fact he couldn't find a team before Hibs for 9/10 months. FWIW I think he's a much better player but again - lots of caps for Oz doesn't equate to a top player.

Obviously Milligan is a good pro and seemed like a good guy. Just commenting on his performances for Hibs.

Cat Stanton
02-06-2021, 10:29 AM
Meaningless was a poor choice of words. It's not an indicator of any great quality.

We had people exaggerating Milligan's quality as he had so many caps and had played at the World Cup. In reality he wasn't anything special at Hibs level.

Jackson Irvine had similar fanfare and comments that we had no chance of signing him. Despite the fact he couldn't find a team before Hibs for 9/10 months. FWIW I think he's a much better player but again - lots of caps for Oz doesn't equate to a top player.

Obviously Milligan is a good pro and seemed like a good guy. Just commenting on his performances for Hibs.

He played an important role though - holding midfielder. Bartley also played that role. I think everyone understood the importance of that role apart from Heckingbottom....

Since452
02-06-2021, 10:31 AM
He played an important role though - holding midfielder. Bartley also played that role. I think everyone understood the importance of that role apart from Heckingbottom....

Not wanting to discredit Marv but i thought Milligan was a much, much better player than him. With Marv wanting away i thought it was ridiculous to let Milligan leave too. Struggled until Gogic arrived. Hecky shot himself in the foot.

Stuart93
02-06-2021, 10:41 AM
Not wanting to discredit Marv but i thought Milligan was a much, much better player than him. With Marv wanting away i thought it was ridiculous to let Milligan leave too. Struggled until Gogic arrived. Hecky shot himself in the foot.

Agreed

Think the downfall for PH was trying to replace MM with Josh Vela. Still gives me nightmares.

JimBHibees
02-06-2021, 10:53 AM
Both Millsy and his wife were very happy being at Hibs and living in Edinburgh.

Apart from games against Celtic and Kilmarnock I thought he performed very, very well for us.

He scored a beauty from the edge of the box yesterday and ran to the sideline to cuddle his kids, which made me think he might be hanging up his boots.

Still got at least one game left to play.

A top bloke, and I’m sure, a guest of honour at a future Oz Hibs function

I agree thought he was good ironically thought he had his best game as centre back. Certainly missed him when he wasn't there that is for sure especially in the early part of the following season when you could have driven a bus through our midfield. Assume the guy Ojo was earmarked for his role but scuppered by Aberdeen though think we dodged a bullet there given how little he did with them.

JimBHibees
02-06-2021, 10:54 AM
Agreed

Think the downfall for PH was trying to replace MM with Josh Vela. Still gives me nightmares.

Horrific decision that was.

theonlywayisup
02-06-2021, 11:26 AM
I agree with the majority - good player and did what he does effectively for most of his time at Hibs. No-one is perfect, so not sure why some pick on the one or two games when he maybe wasn't at his best.

That said, I'm more than happy we ended up with Gogic. He's impressed me this season. It's just a pity we had to suffer Vela in between.

J-C
02-06-2021, 11:46 AM
I watched one game for a good 30 mins, broke up play, slotted into the back 4 to cover, he lacked a wee bit pace but you could see his class.

O'Rourke3
02-06-2021, 11:51 AM
He lacked pace but was pretty decent all around and I was sorry to see him go. What confounded me was in his last game he launched throw in 50 yards into the box. Not the sort of thing you'd depend on like Hearts and Livvy but would cause problems for stuffy opposition if used.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
02-06-2021, 06:21 PM

I’m actually the opposite of the first half of your post in that I think judged on their time at hibs, Marvin was a far better player for us. I never really got, and still don’t get, the high praise for Milligan though he’s clearly had a decent and fulfilling career and probably is a decent guy.

Completely agree with second party though - emptying them both and bringing in Josh Vela probably about sums up Hecky’s reign.

Smartie
02-06-2021, 09:18 PM
I’m actually the opposite of the first half of your post in that I think judged on their time at hibs, Marvin was a far better player for us. I never really got, and still don’t get, the high praise for Milligan though he’s clearly had a decent and fulfilling career and probably is a decent guy.

Completely agree with second party though - emptying them both and bringing in Josh Vela probably about sums up Hecky’s reign.

An argument could be made that it was Hecky’s fatal mistake.

We didn’t ever seem far from being a decent side - maybe a different approach there would have made all the difference?

Newhaven
03-06-2021, 07:52 AM
IMO distinctly average player.

Can recall his last game and he was leaving the ground between the east and south stand as the players were doing a lap of honour :confused:

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2021, 08:12 AM
IMO distinctly average player.

Can recall his last game and he was leaving the ground between the east and south stand as the players were doing a lap of honour :confused:
:agree: Although we had an abundance of them at the time.

superfurryhibby
03-06-2021, 11:24 AM
I think the pace of the SPFL was too much for Milligan. He seemed technically proficient, but he just wasn't able to cover the ground effectively. Given his pedigree, he turned out to be a bit of a mutt at Hibs.