PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Irvine

LNHibs
26-05-2021, 01:43 PM
Apologies if this was posted elsewhere but what’s the general feeling about him staying/leaving.

I feel as if I’d be happy if he stayed but wouldn’t be that bothered if he left. He’s been okay for us but not a lot else. I was extremely disappointed with him in the final (not the only player) but I feel he’s been a bit of a let down and I’d rather see a player who is contributing a bit more going forward. I like him but I would rather see his considerable wages go to someone who’s going to pick up 5/10 goals a year.

The Modfather
26-05-2021, 01:45 PM
Apologies if this was posted elsewhere but what’s the general feeling about him staying/leaving.

I feel as if I’d be happy if he stayed but wouldn’t be that bothered if he left. He’s been okay for us but not a lot else. I was extremely disappointed with him in the final (not the only player) but I feel he’s been a bit of a let down and I’d rather see a player who is contributing a bit more going forward. I like him but I would rather see his considerable wages go to someone who’s going to pick up 5/10 goals a year.

I’d like him to stay and think he could be a big player next season after a pre season. However I think he’s part of a wider issue. There’s no point in bringing him back if Ross is going to have his favourites like Newell. I think we either need to decide if we want a midfield with Newell and build it to compliment him. Or accept Newell is a quality player but it’s difficult to fit him into a balanced and functioning midfield and go with Gogic, Irvine and another to compliment them.

Either way I hope Ross stops with just two central midfielders next season. We can’t afford the quality needed from those two midfielders to make it really work IMO.

Jim44
26-05-2021, 01:47 PM
On balance I would like him to stay, but, and I might be wrong here, I get the impression that his recent tweet was an apology for the players letting us down and a fond farewell as he will be off to pastures new.

Peevemor
26-05-2021, 01:52 PM
I was enthusiastic about him after his first match - he was pretty impressive given the amount of time he'd gone without a game. However for me he hasn't shown enough since then to merit breaking the bank to keep him.

If he was to stay on a wage/deal that Hibs think is reasonable then I'll be happy enough. If he moves on because we won't meet his demands then so be it.

Bangkok Hibby
26-05-2021, 01:55 PM
Meh!

LNHibs
I’d like him to stay and think he could be a big player next season after a pre season. However I think he’s part of a wider issue. There’s no point in bringing him back if Ross is going to have his favourites like Newell. I think we either need to decide if we want a midfield with Newell and build it to compliment him. Or accept Newell is a quality player but it’s difficult to fit him into a balanced and functioning midfield and go with Gogic, Irvine and another to compliment them.

Either way I hope Ross stops with just two central midfielders next season. We can’t afford the quality needed from those two midfielders to make it really work IMO.

Think you’re bang on here. I felt in the final he was almost like a left midfield which is a total waste an probably why his numbers hasn’t been all that great. Watching us at times this year it seems like he’s trying to fit a formation around the players than the other way about. If he stays I’d want us to play him Gogic and Newell in a midfield 3 and have wide players playing out wide.

Centre Hawf
Like many I was delighted we signed him as I felt he was the missing piece in our midfield puzzle so to speak. Then after what was a really good start he just seemed to go a bit flat and would routinely go large spells of matches without really imposing himself I felt.

Ultimately if we do keep him I think there's a player in there to build a successful team with for sure, but on the other hand if he's wanting stupid money then I'm not sure I feel like we need a man of his traits badly enough to break the bank.

jonny
26-05-2021, 01:57 PM
I'm indifferent about him. From what I've seen he's a decent player, nothing more.
I think he'd be easy enough to replace and I'd prefer to have someone in his position who occasionally chipped in with a few goals.
If he stays then fine and if he goes then also fine.

Stuart93
26-05-2021, 01:57 PM
A bit torn on him. Like others are saying he was good when he came in but regressed a bit. Really poor in front of goal as well surprisingly because I’m sure he scored a few goals at Hull

You just know that if he joins Aberdeen he’d have an absolute stormer next season

DH1875
26-05-2021, 01:59 PM
I rate him and 100% would keep him. Off to the sheep in the summer though.

superfurryhibby
26-05-2021, 02:14 PM
I'm indifferent. He's not offered enough for me to back him being a high end earner. I hope Kyle Magennis can step up to the plate and we use the money elsewhere to strengthen the side.

Allez Hibs
26-05-2021, 02:21 PM
Similar to Jack Ross I suppose, not bothered either way.

After the first few games I thought he would have had more of an impact at the business end of the season. What a chance he had on Saturday to really make a name for himself.

If we sign him I'll get behind him but would prefer it's a deal that's best for Hibs.

Onion
26-05-2021, 02:25 PM
Apparently Aberdeen want him, so he can't be up to much :wink:

He's no better than OK, doesn't control games, disappears for long spells, doesn't score goals can produce the goods but doesn't do it often enough. Would not push the boat out for him as there are plenty of the same standard players floating around Scotland.

JimBHibees
26-05-2021, 02:27 PM
Hope he stays however fair to say some of his performances not the best though though the was excellent at Aberdeen

Steve88
26-05-2021, 02:28 PM
Interested to see how he performed if Hibs adopted a rigid 3-5-2 as opposed to the hybrid/flexible formation we use at the moment.

Also, JR has made it no secret he expects KM to be the main man next season..

Hibs90
26-05-2021, 02:30 PM
I'd like him to stay. Get a full pre-season under his belt and see how he goes.

He's a good player who has often been played wide left. Play him in the middle and you'll see the best of him.

Stuart93
26-05-2021, 02:34 PM

He's a good player who has often been played wide left. Play him in the middle and you'll see the best of him.

Aye think that’s important, unfair to judge players when they’re out of position. Why he’s been stuck out on the left I’ll never know.

MrRobot
26-05-2021, 02:36 PM

Would agree with this. He definitely seems a good player but i think there is more to come with him and he seems like a good personality in the dressing room. I’d like to see to stay, but we certainly need to strengthen the midfield around him.

makaveli1875
26-05-2021, 02:42 PM
Let him go to Aberdeen . Absolute ***** bag .

Jim44
26-05-2021, 02:46 PM
Hope he stays however fair to say some of his performances not the best though though the was excellent at Aberdeen

Is it any surprise that his best performance was against the team who want him and where he is likely to end up?:rolleyes:

BILLYHIBS
26-05-2021, 02:48 PM
It’s a no from me

Couldn’t hit a barn door if his life depended upon it and runs funny for a footballer

At least he apologised

JohnM1875
26-05-2021, 02:48 PM
Why do folk think he's so certain to go to Aberdeen?

Wasn't there an article a week or so ago stating that if he decides to stay in Scotland he'd be staying at Hibs, and not going to Aberdeen?

Smartie
26-05-2021, 02:53 PM
I like him. He improved us immediately after arrived and would probably be my first pick of the midfielders.

I'd be keeping hold of him if it was at all possible.

Since90+2
26-05-2021, 02:56 PM
Let him go to Aberdeen . Absolute ***** bag .

More over the top nonsense.

blackpoolhibs
26-05-2021, 02:57 PM
I like him. He improved us immediately after arrived and would probably be my first pick of the midfielders.

I'd be keeping hold of him if it was at all possible.

Me too, there are others i'd have out the door before i came to him.

GibbytheHibby2
26-05-2021, 03:04 PM
Meh!

The player I recall from his time at Ross County - yes please.

The player we’ve seen at Hibs, well Bangkok Hibby sums it up perfectly.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-05-2021, 03:05 PM
Maybe a cliche , but I think he would be a different player after a proper pre-season. If he leaves then so be it. I would be surprised if he gets a better offer in Scotland as he won't be on the radar of the OF.

Nicho87
26-05-2021, 03:20 PM
Encourages hoofing

Would rather Scott Allan any day of the week

Highwayman
26-05-2021, 03:27 PM
Was impressed with Jackson Irvine when he first came to Hibs for his energy and work rate.

Thought along with Cadden,Gogic and Doig he was part of the best Hibs midfield last season

For some unknown reason when Newell came back into the team,he didn’t seem sure of his position and his form dipped.

If he does stay,it probably will be because he doesn’t get a better offer elsewhere.

Is this a good reason for staying ? I’m not sure.

jeffers
26-05-2021, 03:27 PM
I’m unsure, but as the Modfather says there is no point if it’s to play in a midfield of Newell and Gogic. All the signs are that Newell is a favourite of Ross, though if it was up to me I wouldn’t be playing him and wouldn’t have extended his contract. Gogic on the other hand I really like and I would be starting every game. I’d like to see Scott Allan in the side on the assumption he can get back to his best.

Trouble is if we continue to play with two strikers the current midfield doesn’t look balanced for me and most definitely doesn’t get enough goals. And I’ve seen nothing so far from Magennis to suggest he is the answer.

Cod Boy
26-05-2021, 03:33 PM
Wouldn’t sign him if he’s going to continue to play left midfield by the manager and guess he won’t sign being that reason.

J-C
26-05-2021, 06:15 PM
Decent player but wouldn't break the bank to keep him, been offered a deal and still hasn't signed it, if goes so be it, we move on/

Danderhall Hibs
26-05-2021, 06:19 PM
Decent player but wouldn't break the bank to keep him, been offered a deal and still hasn't signed it, if goes so be it, we move on/

:agree: not showed enough to break the bank.

Jim44
26-05-2021, 06:26 PM

:agree: Touch of the Fraser Fyvie situation with JI. He seems to want to hold on to see what he can get, thinking that Hibs want him and will hang on indefinitely for him. He’s not that important to us so I hope Ross calls a halt and starts, if he hasn’t already, to look for a good replacement who wants to play for us.

B.H.F.C
26-05-2021, 06:27 PM
Not been overly impressed, but he’s been asked to do a job for the team out of position at times and done all right. Best spell was early doors in a better balanced midfield minus Joe Newell.

ekhibee
26-05-2021, 08:10 PM
Difficult player to assess IMO, early on I really liked him and he put in some really good passes. But I totally with a lot of people on here who say that the midfield with him and Newell is a bit hot and cold. I do like Irvine, he works hard for the team IMO even when he's played out of position and looking totally ineffective, where as Newell just lopes about but is a really good passer given the space. I would definitely keep him, but if he's seriously thinking of going to Aberdeen he can piss off right now.

Alfred E Newman
26-05-2021, 08:17 PM
Since he arrived I’ve seen nothing to suggest he is worth signing. Like most of the team, his cup final performance was abysmal.

GRA
26-05-2021, 10:19 PM
I'd keep on another short term deal. Think overall he's definitely added to our midfield but needs to be played in the correct position, which is not left midfield.

Just a shame his performance Saturday dampened some of my enthusiasm for him. Compare it to his last cup final appearance for County v us in 2016. Marked McGinn out the game best player on the park that day. I'd give him a chance to try to get to those levels again think there's still a player there.

cameronw-hfc
26-05-2021, 10:41 PM
I get the feeling there is a very very good box to box midfielder for this level inside him, however with a long period out and coming back into a team out of position, I don't think he's had the chance to show what he's capable of yet.

Key West
26-05-2021, 10:44 PM
Would be happy to see him signing for next season as a central midfielder.

Since452
27-05-2021, 05:33 AM
Like him to sign tbh.

theonlywayisup
27-05-2021, 05:54 AM
Meh!

:agree:

A frustrating player! There are real glimpses of class and he's all the attributes to be a really effective player. Some of his passes to Boyle in earlier matches shows to me he's a good player.

However, there are times in games when I get the impression that he's a bit "headless chicken", rushes around a lot, but the game passes him by. I keep saying "what has Irvine done in this match", though then he usually does something to make me think a bit more positive about him.

That said, Saturday is not the day to define Irvine's contribution this year. He's been more good than bad.

I'm more disappointed by Newell's performance. He rarely got out of 1st gear and played so many backward passes. There was a few times when he was jogging back to help out our defence, when he should have been sprinting. The same when we had a chance to break forward.

Newell has been excellent for Hibs this season, especially in the 1st half of it. But he was very poor on Saturday.

If two of your three central midfielders are having poor games, then it's not a surprise that Boyle, Nisbet and Doidge were hardly seen.

Forza Fred
27-05-2021, 06:45 AM
Martin Boyle and Jackson Irvine joined the Socceroos training camp in the Middle East today ahead of their 3 World Cup qualifiers being played in Kuwait in early June.

Seeing as Irvine’s contract expires on 31/5 and nothing has been announced and he won’t be back until after his contract ends, I’m guessing we won’t see him in a Hibs strip again.

Callum_62
27-05-2021, 06:53 AM
Martin Boyle and Jackson Irvine joined the Socceroos training camp in the Middle East today ahead of their 3 World Cup qualifiers being played in Kuwait in early June.

Seeing as Irvine’s contract expires on 31/5 and nothing has been announced and he won’t be back until after his contract ends, I’m guessing we won’t see him in a Hibs strip again.Doesn't meant that at all

We will have a rough deadline on him accepting and we will stick to that

I hope he signs on to be honest - wouldn't want him signing for any of our rivals

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Peevemor
27-05-2021, 07:07 AM
I get the impression that Jack Ross/the club sets deadlines for people signing. If the deadline passes that doesn't mean that any offer is withdrawn, but it will mean that the club will no longer wait on the player in question's answer to fill the position (at which point the offer would no longer stand).

The immediate aftermath of the cup final loss is obviously not the time to launch a new kit or any other commercial initiatives, however it wouldn't surprise me if the photos have already been done for the new kit/sponsor launch. These could even include photos of a newly resigned Jackson Irvine, with the announcement having been withheld for release at a better moment.

Or he might be offski and that's that.

superfurryhibby
27-05-2021, 08:13 AM
I get the feeling there is a very very good box to box midfielder for this level inside him, however with a long period out and coming back into a team out of position, I don't think he's had the chance to show what he's capable of yet.

Whilst recognising the part about Irvine having had a long period with no club, I'm not so sure about having had no chance to show what he capable. He's certainly played plenty of games.

If he 's been played out of position, I wonder, what is his actual best position? A lot of people mention this when discussing him, yet I'm no clearer as to what that position would be.

I also wonder why we couldn't find a central midfield blend that accommodates this from Gogic, Hallberg, Irvine, Murphy and Newell (appreciate that Murphy has had lengthy period of injury)? Whoops, forgot to add Magennis.

The Modfather
27-05-2021, 08:17 AM
Whilst recognising the part about Irvine having had a long period with no club, I'm not so sure about having had no chance to show what he capable. He's certainly played plenty of games.

If he 's been played out of position, I wonder, what is his actual best position? A lot of people mention this when discussing him, yet I'm no clearer as to what that position would be.

I also wonder why we couldn't find a central midfield blend that accommodates this from Gogic, Hallberg, Irvine, Murphy and Newell (appreciate that Murphy has had lengthy period of injury)?

Gogic, Irvine & Murphy had that blend against Aberdeen at home IMO. Steel, energy & creativity. Newell came back from injury and we’ve never seen that midfield again as Newell appears to be one of Ross’ undropables.

blackpoolhibs
27-05-2021, 08:24 AM
Gogic, Irvine & Murphy had that blend against Aberdeen at home IMO. Steel, energy & creativity. Newell came back from injury and we’ve never seen that midfield again as Newell appears to be one of Ross’ undropables.

Yip, although Murphy picked up another injury. We cant keep playing him wide if he stays, or even McGennis. We have brought the lad in from ICT, so Ross can see this too and has started to address our weaknesses.

7Hero
28-05-2021, 05:41 AM
Missed the one opportunity we had in a cup final , him along with the rest of the team can all go. Best opportunity ever to win silverware and to think after 2 lost semi finals they don't bother to turn up for the last chance saloon final and the one that brought with it no just the holy grail of cups but massive financial rewards.

Manager can go too.

ddoc
28-05-2021, 05:49 AM
I get the impression that Jack Ross/the club sets deadlines for people signing. If the deadline passes that doesn't mean that any offer is withdrawn, but it will mean that the club will no longer wait on the player in question's answer to fill the position (at which point the offer would no longer stand).

The immediate aftermath of the cup final loss is obviously not the time to launch a new kit or any other commercial initiatives, however it wouldn't surprise me if the photos have already been done for the new kit/sponsor launch. These could even include photos of a newly resigned Jackson Irvine, with the announcement having been withheld for release at a better moment.

Or he might be offski and that's that.

Maybe he hopes that turning in MOM performances in the qualifying games will attract some better offers than what we have put on the table.

J-C
28-05-2021, 05:53 AM
Maybe he hopes that turning in MOM performances in the qualifying games will attract some better offers than what we have put on the table.

His contract will be up by then though.

Since452
28-05-2021, 06:00 AM
Missed the one opportunity we had in a cup final , him along with the rest of the team can all go. Best opportunity ever to win silverware and to think after 2 lost semi finals they don't bother to turn up for the last chance saloon final and the one that brought with it no just the holy grail of cups but massive financial rewards.

Manager can go too.

All that would mean is another season of transition for a very slim chance we could better the season we've just had when we have a great opportunity to put real distance between ourselves and Aberdeen for seasons to come. People aren't thinking clearly.

Greenio
28-05-2021, 06:07 AM
Good player and well worth keeping.

If we'd won the cup we'd all be saying how vital he is.

makaveli1875
28-05-2021, 06:16 AM
Good player and well worth keeping.

If we'd won the cup we'd all be saying how vital he is.

We didn't win it though . Our midfield got well and truly owned and Irvine was posted missing for most of the game .

Viva_Palmeiras
28-05-2021, 06:17 AM

Manager can go too.

Presumably you’d apply the same logic to Man United?

In a momentary lapse of reason I’ll pretend you are serious.

So we start next with our first game in Europe and need to:

compensate the dismissal of a manager and an entire team.
recruit a new management team - or is someone internally stepping up?
recruit and entire new first team
bed the team in - I forget when the Arsenal friendly is but is 6-9th July not our first game?
so 4 weeks.

if you still don’t see the flaw in that would you like to buy a timeshare ;)

Key West
28-05-2021, 07:04 AM
Yip, although Murphy picked up another injury. We cant keep playing him wide if he stays, or even McGennis. We have brought the lad in from ICT, so Ross can see this too and has started to address our weaknesses.

I hope the young lad can beat a defender on both sides otherwise we are back to square one with a right footed player coming inside all the time, Murphy playing inside might be considered a luxury allied to his injury problems. Magennis is apparently a central midfielder according to St Mirren fans and if he plays regularly next season I can see Newell as the one that drops out.

Callum_62
28-05-2021, 07:07 AM

Manager can go too.Seems rationale to me

Greenbeard
28-05-2021, 07:59 AM

Manager can go too.
Aye, ok then. Have you changed your sheets every day since last Sunday?

Onion
28-05-2021, 08:03 AM

Manager can go too.

You're not serious however you would like to think Hibs will be carrying out an honest post mortem on that Cup Final, rather than writing it off as a bad day at the office as so many on this board want to. The performance suggests there was something deeply wrong with many of the players attitude/mindset from start to finish and Hibs need to get to the root if it. If part of the solution is moving players on, so be it, but a nuclear destruction of the whole squad feels a bit OTT.

Since452
28-05-2021, 08:16 AM
A squad and manager rebuild would see us struggle to finish above Aberdeen and potentially Hearts next season. Then there would be calls for the new manager to be punted. Rinse and repeat. Not for me.

Since90+2
28-05-2021, 08:17 AM
A squad and manager rebuild would see us struggle to finish above Aberdeen and potentially Hearts next season. Then there would be calls for the new manager to be punted. Rinse and repeat. Not for me.

Hearts are *****. They'll be lucky to finish top 6.

Greenbeard
28-05-2021, 08:18 AM

I also wonder why we couldn't find a central midfield blend that accommodates this from Gogic, Hallberg, Irvine, Murphy and Newell (appreciate that Murphy has had lengthy period of injury)? Whoops, forgot to add Magennis.
I think Saints have shown that it's not about how good each individual player is; it's about the right blend and playing as a unit.
I'd go as far as suggesting that bar the OF, all SPL teams would be highly jealous of the collection of individuals we have for midfield.
Gogic, Hallberg, Irvine, Murphy, Newell, Magennis, Allan, Mallan.
Gogic - does what it says on the tin.
Hallberg - strikes me as a versatile squad player as back-up, not a sure-fire starter.
The rest - file under inconsistent or flatters to deceive.

With that many decent footballers for midfield slots, it is inevitable that some will be unhappy at not getting enough game time. Could we offload two and use any fees and the combined wage to get one in who will be a significant upgrade and help us get the right blend?
Dunno who mind.

lucky
28-05-2021, 08:21 AM

Seeing as Irvine’s contract expires on 31/5 and nothing has been announced and he won’t be back until after his contract ends, I’m guessing we won’t see him in a Hibs strip again.

He’s taking a chance playing for Australia without a club contract, if he gets injured he’s out the game with no earnings. I doubt he’ll even have insurance to play.

Jim44
28-05-2021, 08:30 AM
He’s taking a chance playing for Australia without a club contract, if he gets injured he’s out the game with no earnings. I doubt he’ll even have insurance to play.

I suppose that is a consideration but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s all taken care of by his next club, with whom he may have already signed some sort of contract.

marinello59
28-05-2021, 08:35 AM

The Australian FA will have insurance.

Crunchie
28-05-2021, 08:38 AM
No one knows what they'll be like next season, but I hope you're right.

Jones28
28-05-2021, 08:41 AM

I just a wee look at their squad on the website, the only player of theres I would have is Craig Gordon.

Andy74
28-05-2021, 09:30 AM
Irvine was supposed to be the crucial missing link who had the qualities to transform the midfield. A bit like McCrorie was meant to do or that Campbell would do too.

In reality he hasn’t done much more than any of the other players we’ve had playing in that position. Not sure he’d justify what he’d probably be looking for to stay.

Since452
28-05-2021, 10:29 AM
Personally i'd like to keep hold of as many players that got us to 3rd and a cup final, most in their first season here. Good platform to build on.

tamig
28-05-2021, 11:00 AM
You're not serious however you would like to think Hibs will be carrying out an honest post mortem on that Cup Final, rather than writing it off as a bad day at the office as so many on this board want to. The performance suggests there was something deeply wrong with many of the players attitude/mindset from start to finish and Hibs need to get to the root if it. If part of the solution is moving players on, so be it, but a nuclear destruction of the whole squad feels a bit OTT.
To be fair, I don’t think I’ve seen too many write off last Saturday as a bad day at the office. If any at all.

CMurdoch
28-05-2021, 11:04 AM
I just a wee look at their squad on the website, the only player of theres I would have is Craig Gordon.

The addition of Boyce and Soutter (if you could guarantee his fitness) would see us almost ready for next season

hibee-boys
28-05-2021, 11:59 AM

Isn’t that what we said before the semi-final🤔

Jones28
28-05-2021, 12:01 PM
The addition of Boyce and Soutter (if you could guarantee his fitness) would see us almost ready for next season

Boyce over either Nisbet or Doidge would be a massive downgrade. Souttar wouldn't granted, but I don't think I would take him over Porteous. If Ryan can re-evaluate his job as a defender and cut the rash errors that have plagued him this season absolutely not. I would take Kerr in over both of them though.

Wakeyhibee
28-05-2021, 12:02 PM
Decent enough player but for the money I think we could do better or same for less. Need goals and a bit more creativity from our midfield in general.

Danderhall Hibs
28-05-2021, 12:45 PM
Isn’t that what we said before the semi-final🤔

:agree: and they didn’t finish top 6.

04Sauzee
28-05-2021, 12:47 PM

They seem to be of the opinion they will have a WOW signing which they think will be Snodgrass, they are also signing Shankland and probably Campbell. This is kickback of course

Greenio
28-05-2021, 12:48 PM
We didn't win it though . Our midfield got well and truly owned and Irvine was posted missing for most of the game .

Not going to judge a player on one game

Since452
28-05-2021, 01:18 PM
They seem to be of the opinion they will have a WOW signing which they think will be Snodgrass, they are also signing Shankland and probably Campbell. This is kickback of course

All joking aside id love us to sign Snodgrass. Exactly the type of player and character i think we need after last Saturday. Pretty unrealistic i'd have thought though.

superfurryhibby
28-05-2021, 01:20 PM

Irvine played 21 games, you could probably offer some view on his overall performances in those.

My own opinion is that he contributed well enough, but never really stood out for anything in particular. He wasn’t a goal scoring threat, nor did he seem particularly robust in his play.

I reckon the side performed better in the 15 league games he played in than they did in the 15 immediately preceding his arrival and therefore my assumption is that he made us a better side without being all that clear about what he does best.

Greenio
28-05-2021, 01:55 PM
Irvine played 21 games, you could probably offer some view on his overall performances in those.

My own opinion is that he contributed well enough, but never really stood out for anything in particular. He wasn’t a goal scoring threat, nor did he seem particularly robust in his play.

I reckon the side performed better in the 15 league games he played in than they did in the 15 immediately preceding his arrival and therefore my assumption overall is that he made us a better side without being all that clear about what he does best.

I think he covers a lot of ground, isn't afraid to get stuck in and, most importantly, is the player I always felt was willing to plant a pass at the feet of a running forward.

Him and Cadden made a really positive impact and he's been he had more good games than be has bad.

I'd say if we went back and averaged out the players scores from 'This is what it feels like' (because that imo is the most reliable source of impartial player ratings!) I'd bet he'd be a solid 7.5

makaveli1875
28-05-2021, 01:56 PM

No but he's not really been up to much in most games , and his performance in the final was shocking .

superfurryhibby
28-05-2021, 03:09 PM
I think he covers a lot of ground, isn't afraid to get stuck in and, most importantly, is the player I always felt was willing to plant a pass at the feet of a running forward.

Him and Cadden made a really positive impact and he's been he had more good games than be has bad.

I'd say if we went back and averaged out the players scores from 'This is what it feels like' (because that imo is the most reliable source of impartial player ratings!) I'd bet he'd be a solid 7.5

Good analysis and probably fairer than mine.

I want to see more of Cadden. He's a big signing, but he never settled into the side, then scunnered by the injury.

Scottie
28-05-2021, 04:24 PM
They are ***** but they will still take too many points of us next season as usual. :grr:

Back on topic Jackson Irvine flatters to deceive, absolute passenger in recent games. Get rid and free a wage up. Couldn't hit a barn door wi a banjo.

jeffers
28-05-2021, 04:54 PM
They are ***** but they will still take too many points of us next season as usual. :grr:

Back on topic Jackson Irvine flatters to deceive, absolute passenger in recent games. Get rid and free a wage up. Couldn't hit a barn door wi a banjo.

You could substitute Joe Newell for Jackson Irvine in your last sentence and it would be accurate.

CMurdoch
28-05-2021, 06:11 PM
All joking aside id love us to sign Snodgrass. Exactly the type of player and character i think we need after last Saturday. Pretty unrealistic i'd have thought though.

Snodgrass will be 34 shortly after the season starts so not much magic left in the tank

bigwheel
28-05-2021, 06:16 PM
Snodgrass will be 34 shortly after the season starts so not much magic left in the tank

Come on he’s played well in premiership and championship lately..more than enough for a few seasons up here surely ?

Scottie
28-05-2021, 08:02 PM
You could substitute Joe Newell for Jackson Irvine in your last sentence and it would be accurate.
Yes would band Newell in same category as Irvine ******g useless. Personally would like them both out and replace with anyone that didn’t blow out their erchie after 5 minutes

MWHIBBIES
28-05-2021, 08:47 PM
Yes would band Newell in same category as Irvine ******g useless. Personally would like them both out and replace with anyone that didn’t blow out their erchie after 5 minutes

Neither of them do that.

RIP
28-05-2021, 10:16 PM
We need midfielders who stamp their authority on a game, tackle like their lives depend on it, control the centre circle and have an eye for goal.

As much as I like an elegant player with an eye for a clever pass, Jackson is none of the above

northstandhibby
28-05-2021, 11:01 PM
In my opinion, Jackson Irvine is a terrific player. Industrious, skillful and always looking for the ball. Unfortunately, the chance that he was afforded in the final was missed, I rose out of my chair to celebrate the goal when it came to him but it was not to be. I hope its not the last time we see him in a Hibs jersey as he's definitely a player we'll miss.

Forza Fred
29-05-2021, 08:11 AM
The Australian FA will have insurance.

They do

Forza Fred
29-05-2021, 08:17 AM

I never want to hear from the manager or players another utterance along the lines of

‘We have to treat the cup final like any other game’

It’s a fX#$&$#% cup final!!

I remember Alex Miller used to say the exact same thing before derbies.......worked well for him!

Since452
29-05-2021, 08:20 AM
In my opinion, Jackson Irvine is a terrific player. Industrious, skillful and always looking for the ball. Unfortunately, the chance that he was afforded in the final was missed, I rose out of my chair to celebrate the goal when it came to him but it was not to be. I hope its not the last time we see him in a Hibs jersey as he's definitely a player we'll miss.

That chance is still playing through my head in slow motion. Would have given us so much confidence.

Peevemor
29-05-2021, 08:39 AM
That chance is still playing through my head in slow motion. Would have given us so much confidence.To be fair to Irvine he did well to get a shot away and force the keeper to save. However I'm convinced we wouldn't have lost had it gone in.

Lago
29-05-2021, 10:10 AM
Don't think we will see him back at ER

ancient hibee
29-05-2021, 10:14 AM

I see a player who constantly arrives too late to make a proper tackle,is poor in the air,desperately poor in front of goal,has the ability to see a telling pass but doesn’t make enough of them.Don’t know whether it was his break from playing because he tries hard but doesn’t influence games to any great extent.

Jim44
29-05-2021, 10:35 AM
Don't think we will see him back at ER

I think he would have committed before going off to play for Australia. JR will know the situation and will be working on his replacement now.

Eyrie
29-05-2021, 10:43 AM
We may already have Irvine's replacement in Magennis who is best in a central position.

If Magennis turns out to be the player Ross expects, then a midfield of Gogic, Magennis and Allan is very tasty.

Problem there though is that leaves Murphy as Allan's understudy and nowhere for Mackay.

ekhibee
29-05-2021, 10:50 AM
We may already have Irvine's replacement in Magennis who is best in a central position.

If Magennis turns out to be the player Ross expects, then a midfield of Gogic, Magennis and Allan is very tasty.

Problem there though is that leaves Murphy as Allan's understudy and nowhere for Mackay.

That is quite a big 'if' though, Magennis has shown next to nothing so far IMO.

Forza Fred
29-05-2021, 12:22 PM
That is quite a big 'if' though, Magennis has shown next to nothing so far IMO.

Unfortunately true.

Hibiza
29-05-2021, 03:25 PM
Goodbye 👋

staunchhibby
29-05-2021, 03:29 PM
Goodbye to whom ???

B.H.F.C
29-05-2021, 04:19 PM

You’re forgetting Joe Newell. Wouldn’t be in my team but will be in any team JR is picking when he’s available and I think Irvine suffered for that

Still to see anything at all from Magennis to suggest he’ll be good in any position for us. If he doesn’t get this much talked about pre season and hit the ground running next season (which I hope he does) he’ll be done here IMO.

superfurryhibby
29-05-2021, 04:40 PM
You’re forgetting Joe Newell. Wouldn’t be in my team but will be in any team JR is picking when he’s available and I think Irvine suffered for that

Still to see anything at all from Magennis to suggest he’ll be good in any position for us. If he doesn’t get this much talked about pre season and hit the ground running next season (which I hope he does) he’ll be done here IMO.

It’s going to be a big season for Magennis. If he doesn’t shine it would look like a particularly bad bit of business for Hibs and for Ross.

Equally, with regard to Newell. I seriously hope he’s not guaranteed stick on starter next season. If Ross is hoping to take the team forward, a place needs to be earned.

Eyrie
29-05-2021, 06:40 PM

Newell wouldn't be in my starting XI either, hence why I left him out.

Strange because I was pleased when he signed a new deal, but I think I've gone off him a bit because he's too deliberate when in possession which makes it easy for teams who want to sit back against us.

Agree that Magennis has to step up though.

Greenbeard
29-05-2021, 08:37 PM
Goodbye to whom ???
I presumed the player in the thread title. Unless Hibiza isn't feeling so good?

Robbo6-2
29-05-2021, 08:49 PM
Some journalist on Twitter saying hes signed for Dons

Weegreenman
29-05-2021, 08:55 PM
Wouldn’t shed any tears if he left.

makaveli1875
29-05-2021, 08:56 PM

Good , I hope they're paying him a big wedge

J-C
29-05-2021, 09:07 PM

If true then it just shows money is the most important thing to most if not all players.

Heisenberg
29-05-2021, 09:11 PM

Can’t see anything?

Viva_Palmeiras
29-05-2021, 09:29 PM
Can’t see anything?

school boy error leaving out the journos name - the Force is weak in that one.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-05-2021, 09:32 PM
Can’t see anything?

Maybe the boy is stuck in a time warp and was referring to Brian Irvine?

IberianHibernian
29-05-2021, 09:42 PM
Some journalist on Twitter saying hes signed for Dons Won`t be bothered at all if true . If we`re hoping to improve on last season we need to improve in all positions and I`m sure we can find better or at least more effective players than him for same money .

GreenCastle
29-05-2021, 09:51 PM

I will be pretty worried if we go into next season with Gogic, Maginnis and Allan as a midfield.

We seriously need to strengthen that area and that’s if we keep Irvine. It’s been found out a few times and wouldn’t be confident with same players again next season.

CmoantheHibs
29-05-2021, 11:27 PM
I like Irvine as a player. Hope he signs on again but if he goes for more Money back down south then fair enough. If he goes to the sheep then **** him.

northstandhibby
29-05-2021, 11:54 PM
I like Irvine as a player. Hope he signs on again but if he goes for more Money back down south then fair enough. If he goes to the sheep then **** him.

Totally 100% agree with this.

As said in a previous post I rate Jackson highly. If he goes to the Dandies it will be embarrassing for us. If he moves to a club elsewhere no worries whatsoever. Personally, I'd love him to stay. Come on Jackson do the decent thing and either sign on (hopefully) or at least don't embarrass us and move on to similar sized rival clubs.

:flag:

147lothian
30-05-2021, 12:20 AM
Wouldn’t shed any tears if he left.

The only one I definately want to keep from our current midfield is Gogic, I hope Irvane signs a new deal because I think he will improve with having played half a season, and a pre season, I think he probably was a bit behind the pace due to his time out the game, but like you I wouldn't shed a tear if he left.

Stokesy's on fire
30-05-2021, 08:53 AM
Just curious, which player leaving would reduce you to tears?

Rowan vine

Stokesy's on fire
30-05-2021, 08:58 AM
Maybe the boy is stuck in a time warp and was referring to Brian Irvine?

Brian Irvine is of the required age for the Aberdeen team he would fit in well at the Aberdeen FC retirement home.

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2021, 09:09 AM
Always reminds me of the Rugby boy at school joining in with the fitba

Fit as a butchers dug, runs around a lot, no got a clue what he is doing, two left feet and largely anonymous

If he stays fair enough he may benefit from a preseason if he goes I would like to think we could do better for the same dough

HibbyAndy
30-05-2021, 09:15 AM
i'm a bit 'meh ' The fact i could't give a toss if he left leaves me neither here nor there

davhibby
30-05-2021, 10:10 AM
Always reminds me of the Rugby boy at school joining in with the fitba

Fit as a butchers dug, runs around a lot, no got a clue what he is doing, two left feet and largely anonymous

If he stays fair enough he may benefit from a preseason if he goes I would like to think we could do better for the same dough

I’m not sure I’ve been watching the same games as you for the last 4 months? This place is mental sometimes

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2021, 10:19 AM
I’m not sure I’ve been watching the same games as you for the last 4 months? This place is mental sometimes
Just my opinion

I have not seen anything different to persuade me otherwise

Sometimes I have to remind myself he is playing :greengrin

Needs to show more composure and quality on the ball and seriously work on his final ball and finishing

Which is why most people are meh if he stays or goes

There is class there is first class and then there is HIBS class

hibee-boys
30-05-2021, 10:37 AM
We ended up signing the 2, what we expected to be, ball winning/box to box centre midfielders we’d been crying out for in Irvine and Magennis. Both have disappointed in my view, willing to give them both a pre-season before I pass judgment but if the intention is to play them in the same position they’ve been deployed thus far why bother keeping either of them.

superfurryhibby
30-05-2021, 10:48 AM
We ended up signing the 2, what we expected to be, ball winning/box to box centre midfielders we’d been crying out for in Irvine and Magennis. Both have disappointed in my view, willing to give them both a pre-season before I pass judgment but if the intention is to play them in the same position they’ve been deployed thus far why bother keeping either of them.

Magennis has four years left on a five year deal.

tamig
30-05-2021, 11:28 AM

Magennis was also just coming back from a serious long term injury. And hit by Covid after he joined us. He’ll benefit massively from a full pre-season and should be a big player for us next season. Folk seem to write him off before considering what the boy’s been through.

hibee-boys
30-05-2021, 12:42 PM

Yes, and I’m sure he’ll not be wanting to be hanging about that long if he’s coming off the bench to play wide left.

blackpoolhibs
30-05-2021, 12:49 PM
Yes, and I’m sure he’ll not be wanting to be hanging about that long if he’s coming off the bench to play wide left.
We did have a wide left player signed, but he kept getting injured. We went with a small squad to maximise the quality, but we did have to play players wide left and it did them no favours, but in the grand scheme it worked out.

We now have brought someone else in who can play left side midfield, and we are building again from a stronger base, unless we get rid of them all as some are suggesting?

superfurryhibby
30-05-2021, 01:12 PM

I thought that had been Doig's role this season. How wide is wide left in a three man central midfield (assuming three central defenders and a five man midfield).

i tried to spark a conversation about modern tactics and formations on a thread earlier, no one interested really (story of my life)

truehibernian
30-05-2021, 01:18 PM
I'm in-between with Jackson Irvine, I see a good footballer but played the wrong way with Hibs. The footage I've seen him at his best is playing a little deeper in midfield and driving forward centrally, very athletic, however he's been played in a more left sided role at Hibs. Didn't impose himself in the big games for me, looked better against weaker teams. Would I be pushing to make him the highest earner which he would be - no. Would I like to see him next to more creative players in midfield, yes.

I'm perhaps basing it on the important games where for me he's been posted missing.

B.H.F.C
30-05-2021, 01:26 PM
I thought that had been Doig's role this season. How wide is wide left in a three man central midfield (assuming three central defenders and a five man midfield).

i tried to spark a conversation about modern tactics and formations on a thread earlier, no one interested really (story of my life)

Fine asking Doig to provide the width when we play a back three but we regularly played with back and midfield fours, including last week. At times, it’s meant having someone like Irvine out of position.

I don’t think we’ve done anything that is particularly modern tactic wise. That’s not a criticism to be fair, I just think football is rarely as complicated as it’s made out to be in an age where every last detail is analysed to death. I know you have the Pep’s of this world playing with false nines and whatever, but I think it’s a lot more straightforward than that for us with the players at our level.

147lothian
30-05-2021, 01:26 PM
Magennis was also just coming back from a serious long term injury. And hit by Covid after he joined us. He’ll benefit massively from a full pre-season and should be a big player for us next season. Folk seem to write him off before considering what the boy’s been through.

That's a good point, obviously it's the midfield that has to be re-built, to kick on next season and Magennis is kind of the forgotten man.

JimBHibees
30-05-2021, 01:33 PM
I'm in-between with Jackson Irvine, I see a good footballer but played the wrong way with Hibs. The footage I've seen him at his best is playing a little deeper in midfield and driving forward centrally, very athletic, however he's been played in a more left sided role at Hibs. Didn't impose himself in the big games for me, looked better against weaker teams. Would I be pushing to make him the highest earner which he would be - no. Would I like to see him next to more creative players in midfield, yes.

I'm perhaps basing it on the important games where for me he's been posted missing.

Understand what you are saying however I would like him to stay as think he will be much better Actually thought two of his better games were the United semi final and Aberdeen away.

Peevemor
30-05-2021, 02:02 PM

I'm perhaps basing it on the important games where for me he's been posted missing.Which comes back to a point I've raised a few times.

There's been a lot of debate about our best midfield, but nobody mentioned playing either Irvine or Gogic, which for me is the decision that should have been made when everyone was available.

The Modfather
30-05-2021, 02:12 PM
Which comes back to a point I've raised a few times.

There's been a lot of debate about our best midfield, but nobody mentioned playing either Irvine or Gogic, which for me is the decision that should have been made when everyone was available.

I thought it has been discussed quite a lot. Our best midfield performance of the season, IMO, was the win against Aberdeen at home. With Gogic, Irvine & Murphy. Those 3 gave us the best balance and the closest 3 to replicating the McGeough, McGinn, Allan axis in terms of 3 distinct roles that compliment each other.

Newell is the odd one out IMO. He doesn’t particularly fit alongside either Gogic or Irvine, and when he does the midfield is less than the sum of its parts, but Irvine & Gogic can fit together.

I wonder if Ross views Newell in terms of his stats, I’m sure it’s often pointed to that Newell has the most tackles and interceptions in our team. That’s difficult to argue against, but the less scientific, more visual indication is that our midfield is better without Newell IMO.

Brooster
30-05-2021, 02:18 PM
I thought it has been discussed quite a lot. Our best midfield performance of the season, IMO, was the win against Aberdeen at home. With Gogic, Irvine & Murphy. Those 3 gave us the best balance and the closest 3 to replicating the McGeough, McGinn, Allan axis in terms of 3 distinct roles that compliment each other.

Newell is the odd one out IMO. He doesn’t particularly fit alongside either Gogic or Irvine, and when he does the midfield is less than the sum of its parts, but Irvine & Gogic can fit together.

I wonder if Ross views Newell in terms of his stats, I’m sure it’s often pointed to that Newell has the most tackles and interceptions in our team. That’s difficult to argue against, but the less scientific, more visual indication is that our midfield is better without Newell IMO.

Well said. I completely agree.

Peevemor
30-05-2021, 02:25 PM

I wonder if Ross views Newell in terms of his stats, I’m sure it’s often pointed to that Newell has the most tackles and interceptions in our team. That’s difficult to argue against, but the less scientific, more visual indication is that our midfield is better without Newell IMO.Irvine & Gogic might be able to play together but I don't think we need them both at the same time.

I'd have went with one of the two + Newell + Murphy.

(but I'm no expert either)

hibbysam
30-05-2021, 02:25 PM

I’d argue our best performances have been with Hallberg and Newell in the middle of the park. Hamilton and Motherwell away, along with the semi final. Whether you want to add a third or go with those two, it should be them as first choices based on performances.

B.H.F.C
30-05-2021, 03:04 PM

Agree with this.

cannastar
30-05-2021, 04:03 PM
might want to be having a look at kenny dougall of blackpool two gals today jackson maybe in the know with this fellow.

Kojock
30-05-2021, 05:15 PM
might want to be having a look at kenny dougall of blackpool two gals today jackson maybe in the know with this fellow.

Ally Brazil scored a hat trick against Celtic, just saying likes 😂

Lancs Harp
30-05-2021, 05:20 PM
Ally Brazil scored a hat trick against Celtic, just saying likes 😂

Kenny is a Brisbane lad, came through the Roars youth system and then moved to Holland I think Blackpool picked him up from Barnsley. He'll be playing in the Championship next season makes his wage demands difficult for us.

Highwayman
30-05-2021, 06:03 PM
IMO if Irvine stays,it’s because he’s not got a better offer from elsewhere.
Is this a good enough reason for him staying open to question.
On the home website current first team squad midfielders are listed as :-
Steven Bradley,Fraser Murray,Jackson Irvine,Martin Boyle,Kyle Magennis,Alex Gogic,Stevie Mallan,
Scott Allan,Drey Wright,Jamie Murphy,Stephen McGinn,Daniel Mackay.
Add to that Chris Cadden who’s listed as a defender but played in midfield.
Also development squad players coming back of loan such as Josh Campbell.
WHO STAYS,WHO GOES ?

Highwayman
30-05-2021, 06:12 PM
Is this a good enough reason for him staying open to question.
On the home website current first team squad midfielders are listed as :-
Steven Bradley,Fraser Murray,Jackson Irvine,Martin Boyle,Kyle Magennis,Alex Gogic,Stevie Mallan,
Scott Allan,Drey Wright,Jamie Murphy,Stephen McGinn,Daniel Mackay.
Add to that Chris Cadden who’s listed as a defender but played in midfield.
Also development squad players coming back of loan such as Josh Campbell.
WHO STAYS,WHO GOES ?
Seemed to have missed out Joe Newell and Merkel Hallbetg.So add them to the pot

Hibbyradge
30-05-2021, 06:17 PM

Isn't that the case with every player, apart from Hanlon and Stevenson?

Lancs Harp
30-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Personally speaking can take Irvine or leave him. Was excited when he signed but have to admit been slightly disappointed with him to be honest. Doesnt help that he and Newall dont seem to be able to play together. Both decent players but just a bad fit together. European football will hopefully attract new players.

ddoc
12-06-2021, 05:45 AM
I do not think we will see him back at Hibs.
He has played in 2 of the 3 Australia WC qualifiers in Kuwait so far, and though the opposition has been poor, he has played well, and I doubt that this will go unnoticed by teams with more money in the kitty than us.

Craigmount Hibs
12-06-2021, 07:44 AM
I do not think we will see him back at Hibs.
He has played in 2 of the 3 Australia WC qualifiers in Kuwait so far, and though the opposition has been poor, he has played well, and I doubt that this will go unnoticed by teams with more money in the kitty than us.

Agreed. I think he's gone into these games knowing it might create a new opportunity for him, with our contract offer available as a fall back.

Jim44
14-06-2021, 09:13 AM
Agreed. I think he's gone into these games knowing it might create a new opportunity for him, with our contract offer available as a fall back.

I think most folk realised that, when he signed for us, it was probably stop-gap and a stepping stone for him. Without standing out, he became popular with a lot of us as a good squad member and he himself said all the right things, giving the impression that he was enjoying his time at ER. It’s fairly clear now that he is looking for the best deal he can get so we would be wise to assume he is gone and to concentrate on finding a good replacement. I’m confident that among all the Euro fever, JR and Mathie will be doing their homework and not sitting on the end of the phone in anticipation of Irvine’s call.

loanheadhibby
14-06-2021, 11:41 AM
I think most folk realised that, when he signed for us, it was probably stop-gap and a stepping stone for him. Without standing out, he became popular with a lot of us as a good squad member and he himself said all the right things, giving the impression that he was enjoying his time at ER. It’s fairly clear now that he is looking for the best deal he can get so we would be wise to assume he is gone and to concentrate on finding a good replacement. I’m confident that among all the Euro fever, JR and Mathie will be doing their homework and not sitting on the end of the phone in anticipation of Irvine’s call.

What puzzles me is that this is a guy who could not find a club for 10 months. sitting in his house twiddling his thumbs. Gets the call from Hibs and lets be honest, was pretty average most of the games he played.

Now it appears he is stalling on signing for us in the hope he earns more dough from another team who had 10 months to sign him when he was a free agent.

I'd hunt him out the door. He should be walking over broken glass to sign for Hibs.

Heisenberg
14-06-2021, 11:57 AM
Aye, he’s stalling. Went from waiting for the end of the league season to after the cup final to now after he’s done with international duty. We can surely only wait for so long?

“There’s nothing at the moment. I’m fully focused on being in this camp, focusing on these games, and the future will take care to itself.
There’s conversations still happening with Hibs and we’re comfortable with where we’re at, at the moment.
I’m not in a rush to make a decision, especially while I’m here. I’ll deal with my domestic club future at the end of this camp.“

Jim44
14-06-2021, 02:29 PM
Aye, he’s stalling. Went from waiting for the end of the league season to after the cup final to now after he’s done with international duty. We can surely only wait for so long?

“There’s nothing at the moment. I’m fully focused on being in this camp, focusing on these games, and the future will take care to itself.
There’s conversations still happening with Hibs and we’re comfortable with where we’re at, at the moment.
I’m not in a rush to make a decision, especially while I’m here. I’ll deal with my domestic club future at the end of this camp.“

There is something at the moment .... a deal on the table. He’s got an agent. I think Australia’s last game is tomorrow so I assume he will be back by the end of the week.

J-C
14-06-2021, 02:34 PM

He might not be in a rush but we have a new season to think about, take away his contract offer and move on, sod him.

Jim44
14-06-2021, 02:48 PM
He might not be in a rush but we have a new season to think about, take away his contract offer and move on, sod him.

I’m not in a rush to make a decision ........ not really what you want to hear from prospective signing. I’m inclined to agree that we should be looking elsewhere. Mind you, we probably are.

HH81
14-06-2021, 02:55 PM
I’m not in a rush to make a decision ........ not really what you want to hear from prospective signing. I’m inclined to agree that we should be looking elsewhere. Mind you, we probably are.

Agreed. Offer withdrawn.

blackpoolhibs
14-06-2021, 03:20 PM

Maybe we've gave him a deadline when our offer will be rescinded and we start to look elsewhere?

truehibernian
14-06-2021, 03:32 PM

Have to be honest Jim, I'm not in any rush for him to sign........if he does, great, but I want a couple of really creative players in that midfield area signed too. If he doesn't, it frees up good cash to get players in who want to come and players that will hopefully lead to a much better, balanced, and attack minded midfield.

lucky
14-06-2021, 03:47 PM
No player is bigger than the club. He’s got an offer now it’s down to him to accept or not. It’s still early days but the reality is Hibs will have a back up plan. Like most I’m not that bothered if he signs or not.

Shanksaidno
14-06-2021, 04:08 PM
No player is bigger than the club. He’s got an offer now it’s down to him to accept or not. It’s still early days but the reality is Hibs will have a back up plan. Like most I’m not that bothered if he signs or not.

He cant score so therefore doesnt fit the
role we need him to play. Squad player at best

Greenbeard
14-06-2021, 04:14 PM
Maybe we've gave him a deadline when our offer will be rescinded and we start to look elsewhere?
Aye. I'd give him max 48 hrs after he is finished with Oz to sign then our offer is reduced 5% per day for 5 working days then is withdrawn.

Hibbyradge
14-06-2021, 04:43 PM
Some first rate negotiators on this thread!

Hibs want him to stay but he holds all the cards. He wants to maximise his earnings as he's perfectly entitled to do so why rush to accept the first offer he gets?

In the past, he's earned a lot more than we'll be offering so it's perfectly understandable that he would hope to get back to that level of income.

I think he's a class act and with a good pre-season under his belt, he'll be a real asset to whichever club he signs for.

I'm happy to wait a few weeks more to get him. Getting impatient and angry is just self destructive.

Billy Whizz
14-06-2021, 04:46 PM
There is something at the moment .... a deal on the table. He’s got an agent. I think Australia’s last game is tomorrow so I assume he will be back by the end of the week.

I think he represents himself

DH1875
14-06-2021, 04:49 PM

Back where though? If he's not under contract with us, why would he come back to Scotland. Unless he actually lives here on a full time basis.

CMurdoch
14-06-2021, 04:58 PM
Should we be making an offer to Griffiths with an expiry date. Maybe we have already.
He is hanging about Celtic like a bad smell, desperate for any offer from them over £5k a week.

loanheadhibby
14-06-2021, 05:19 PM

Hibs want him to stay but he holds all the cards. He wants to maximise his earnings as he's perfectly entitled to do so why rush to accept the first offer he gets?

In the past, he's earned a lot more than we'll be offering so it's perfectly understandable that he would hope to get back to that level of income.

I think he's a class act and with a good pre-season under his belt, he'll be a real asset to whichever club he signs for.

I'm happy to wait a few weeks more to get him. Getting impatient and angry is just self destructive.

A class act based on what? This is a guy who sat in the house for 10 months.

If he is such a class act, why were clubs not battering his door down so sign him when he was a free agent?

Hibbyradge
14-06-2021, 06:46 PM
A class act based on what? This is a guy who sat in the house for 10 months.

If he is such a class act, why were clubs not battering his door down so sign him when he was a free agent?

Are you saying that Hibs can't ever spot an opportunity and/or sign good players?

easty
14-06-2021, 06:49 PM
It’s amazing how many folk are taking the hump over Irvine not signing a deal. Chill out.

He’s a very good footballer, he’s good enough to start every week for us, I’d be disappointed if he went to Aberdeen.

He doesn’t owe us anything. No more than we don’t owe him anything. We employed him on a short term deal, the deal expired. He might come back, he might get a better deal elsewhere. What’s the problem with that?

He’s not a Hibs fan, he’s not bad mouthing us. He’s just considering his future.

If we decide to give him a deadline, that’s our choice. I’m sure we’re already looking at alternatives.

Callum_62
14-06-2021, 06:53 PM
Aye. I'd give him max 48 hrs after he is finished with Oz to sign then our offer is reduced 5% per day for 5 working days then is withdrawn. Cant believe other teams don't use this tactic too

Hibbyradge
14-06-2021, 07:01 PM
It’s amazing how many folk are taking the hump over Irvine not signing a deal. Chill out.

He’s a very good footballer, he’s good enough to start every week for us, I’d be disappointed if he went to Aberdeen.

He doesn’t owe us anything. No more than we don’t owe him anything. We employed him on a short term deal, the deal expired. He might come back, he might get a better deal elsewhere. What’s the problem with that?

He’s not a Hibs fan, he’s not bad mouthing us. He’s just considering his future.

If we decide to give him a deadline, that’s our choice. I’m sure we’re already looking at alternatives.

I'm baffled at the vitriol aimed at him. When players want to stay with Hibs, they're not good enough for anyone else, but if they want to leave, they're also not any good or dreadful human beings! :hilarious

Billy Whizz
14-06-2021, 07:06 PM
I'm baffled at the vitriol aimed at him. When players want to stay with Hibs, they're not good enough for anyone else, but if they want to leave, they're also not any good or dreadful human beings! :hilarious

I absolutely get that Hibbyradge, just think most of grief he’s getting, is he hasn’t let us know, if that’s the case
If your not signing Jackson, please let Hibs know so we don’t miss out out on our next target

Callum_62
14-06-2021, 07:14 PM
I absolutely get that Hibbyradge, just think most of grief he’s getting, is he hasn’t let us know, if that’s the case
If your not signing Jackson, please let Hibs know so we don’t miss out out on our next targetHow on earth do we know what the discussions with Hibs have been?

easty
14-06-2021, 07:15 PM
If your not signing Jackson, please let Hibs know so we don’t miss out out on our next target

I don’t think anyone from Hibs has said he’s stringing us along though. Just, he’s not signed for us, so people are jumping to conclusions.

I doubt Jack Ross is sitting at home looking at his messages and stressing about why Irvine hasn’t text him back yet...I wonder if he’s busy texting other managers.

Hibbyradge
14-06-2021, 07:15 PM

He's waiting for the offer that suits him best. If Hibs find a second, or better, choice, they'll press for a decision. Until then, there's no need to panic.

Billy Whizz
14-06-2021, 07:19 PM
He's waiting for the offer that suits him best. If Hibs find a second, or better, choice, they'll press for a decision. Until then, there's no need to panic.

That’s his call, all I was saying he was getting abuse for not signing before now. We can’t wait forever, we play in Europe in just over 5 weeks

As an aside is the Euro draw tomorrow or Wednesday

scoopyboy
14-06-2021, 07:38 PM
Does anyone know for sure he hasn't signed a contract for Hibs? Could have signed it before he left for all we know.

Similarly he could have told Hibs he wasn't signing.

Hibs are under no obligation to announce signings right away, several times in the past they have signed players and delayed the official announcement.

loanheadhibby
14-06-2021, 08:32 PM

You are easy pleased if you think Jackson Irvine is a class act.
Like most of the post on this I wouldn't be bothered if he stayed it left.
He has been pretty average in my opinion.

loanheadhibby
14-06-2021, 08:38 PM
Are you saying that Hibs can't ever spot an opportunity and/or sign good players?

Where did I say that? I asked is he actually a class act? If so, which games did he play in that he was a class above what we have?

My point is, if he is this class player, why was he idle for 10 months?

hibee-boys
14-06-2021, 09:25 PM
I think he represents himself

Maybe explains why he was unemployed for most of last season. ‘Focusing on the camp’ is code for ‘I’m waiting for a better deal!’. Give him a few days to give us an answer after his international duty then withdraw the offer. He can go back to watching daytime TV, wouldn’t be bothered if he never signed.

Nicho87
14-06-2021, 09:49 PM
I’d have taken the contract back off the table by now

He ain’t that good

BILLYHIBS
14-06-2021, 10:05 PM
Defo would not describe him as a ‘class act’ and it is nothing to do with him not signing immediately

If he signs he signs fair enough if not I am sure we can do better

Plenty out there that can control a ball, kick with both feet and can score goals without being posted missing for half of the game

Now that is a ‘class act’ :greengrin

Hibbyradge
14-06-2021, 10:27 PM
Defo would not describe him as a ‘class act’ and it is nothing to do with him not signing immediately

If he signs he signs fair enough if not I am sure we can do better

Plenty out there that can control a ball, kick with both feet and can score goals without being posted missing for half of the game

Now that is a ‘class act’ :greengrin

Irvine was our best midfielder last season and I think he's got a lot more in the tank.

Hibbyradge
14-06-2021, 10:29 PM
Where did I say that? I asked is he actually a class act? If so, which games did he play in that he was a class above what we have?

My point is, if he is this class player, why was he idle for 10 months?

You asked why clubs weren't knocking the door down to sign him.

You don't rate him. I do. End of.

Magpie
14-06-2021, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know for sure he hasn't signed a contract for Hibs? Could have signed it before he left for all we know.

Similarly he could have told Hibs he wasn't signing.

Hibs are under no obligation to announce signings right away, several times in the past they have signed players and delayed the official announcement.

My thoughts too. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s signed a new contract but waiting until he comes back from International duty/holiday before announcing it.

BILLYHIBS
14-06-2021, 10:36 PM
Irvine was our best midfielder last season and I think he's got a lot more in the tank.

Yeah ok

Maybe I should just be polite and say I am meh if he stays or goes

In fairness he has looked decent playing for Australia but against questionable opposition and he is in the shop window

I just don’t see what you are obviously seeing

Hibbyradge
14-06-2021, 10:53 PM
Yeah ok

Maybe I should just be polite and say I am meh if he stays or goes

In fairness he has looked decent playing for Australia but against questionable opposition and he is in the shop window

I just don’t see what you are obviously seeing

Who was better in the midfield for us last season? :dunno:

BILLYHIBS
14-06-2021, 10:59 PM
Who was better in the midfield for us last season? :dunno:
Alex Gogic

A ‘class act’ is someone who influences or impacts games creates and scores goals a la Russell Latapy

I cannot think of one game that Irvine bossed

PS

I would take the Jackson Irvine of Ross County the player I thought we were getting

Hibbyradge
14-06-2021, 11:06 PM
Alex Gogic

A ‘class act’ is someone who influences or impacts games creates and scores goals a la Russell Latapy

PS

I would take the Jackson Irvine of Ross County the player I thought we were getting

Gogic was definitely our best midfielder, agreed.

Comparing anyone to wee Russell, Billy? That's just not fair! The man was a genius.

I'm merely talking class act level! :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
14-06-2021, 11:17 PM
Gogic was definitely our best midfielder, agreed.

Comparing anyone to wee Russell, Billy? That's just not fair! The man was a genius.

I'm merely talking class act level! :greengrin

Joking apart I have watched Irvine closely on ‘HIBS Pass ‘ obviously -which is not ideal -but like others I did expect more -the only thing I can say in the laddie’s defence is that he might be playing played slightly out of position rather than a box to box midfielder to accommodate other players or JR’s tactics on any given day

If there is such a thing? :greengrin

Jdawg
14-06-2021, 11:52 PM
Alex Gogic

PS

Spot on, class acts don’t miss the plethora of chances he has had. File under underwhelming . We can do far, far better

blackpoolhibs
15-06-2021, 08:20 AM
Jackson Irvine was a very good addition who helped push us on to 3rd place, when folk on here were telling anyone who'd listen that it was only a matter of time before Livi overtook us and we'd finish 5th at best.

I like him, and i think there's a lot more to come from him if he signs again. I'd replace a couple of others before him if i could, and hope he does sign again for a couple of years at least.

Greenio
15-06-2021, 10:12 AM
Jackson Irvine was a very good addition who helped push us on to 3rd place, when folk on here were telling anyone who'd listen that it was only a matter of time before Livi overtook us and we'd finish 5th at best.

I like him, and i think there's a lot more to come from him if he signs again. I'd replace a couple of others before him if i could, and hope he does sign again for a couple of years at least.

Agree.

If we can do so much better, why was he our best (or perhaps close second) player in the midfield.

Folk are do quick to turn sour on a player if he doesn't do exactly as they want. Him stalling on signing doesn't wipe out an excellent contribution to our 3rd place finish.

ahibby
15-06-2021, 12:24 PM
Agree.

If we can do so much better, why was he our best (or perhaps close second) player in the midfield.

Folk are do quick to turn sour on a player if he doesn't do exactly as they want. Him stalling on signing doesn't wipe out an excellent contribution to our 3rd place finish.

If he is unsure a one year deal might suit both parties, if it comes to that.

JimBHibees
15-06-2021, 02:55 PM

Totally agree

Peevemor
15-06-2021, 02:59 PM
If he is unsure a one year deal might suit both parties, if it comes to that.

The problem with that is if he plays well then there will be all sorts of speculation in January. You could argue that in that case at least we'll have had a few months of him playing well, but on the other hand a big will-he/won't-he saga halfway through the season helps nobody.

CapitalGreen
15-06-2021, 03:05 PM
The problem with that is if he plays well then there will be all sorts of speculation in January. You could argue that in that case at least we'll have had a few months of him playing well, but on the other hand a big will-he/won't-he saga halfway through the season helps nobody.

We have players signed to 4 year deals who were subject to all sorts of speculation in January.

Peevemor
15-06-2021, 03:09 PM
We have players signed to 4 year deals who were subject to all sorts of speculation in January.

True, but it is unusual and far more easily knocked on the head than with someone who has only 4-5 months left to go and can sign a pre-contract with someone else (and then all the crap that comes with that).

jacomo
15-06-2021, 03:58 PM
Agree.

Tbf I understand why some people were a bit disappointed with him. I am also in that camp.

I hope that if he stays we will see him back to his best… I’m pretty confident we haven’t seen it in a Hibs shirt yet.

Franck Stanton
15-06-2021, 07:37 PM
Certainly haven't seen the form he displayed at Ross County.

ahibby
15-06-2021, 08:02 PM

Yes but if hes much the same as this season then we wouldnt be stuck with him. On the other hand if he improves then we would have someone who would not be at Hibs anyway. We signed Didier Agathe for all of a few months, finished third that season iirc.

ahibby
15-06-2021, 08:29 PM

Exactly whether one season or more wouldnt make a blind bit of difference when it comes to speculation. If both parties think he will have a better season next than this then a short contract would be easier to agree and both benefit.

Forza Fred
16-06-2021, 05:20 AM
Jacko played superbly last night in the last WC qualifier against Jordan.
he played on the right hand side as a box to box midfielder, which I consider his best role.

Oz won 1-0 with Martin Boyle supplying the corner for the winning goal to be headed in by Harry Souter.

HH81
16-06-2021, 05:27 AM
How good are the Aussies though? Based on teams in Europe?

I can't see Jordan been that great a side.

Forza Fred
16-06-2021, 06:05 AM
How good are the Aussies though? Based on teams in Europe?

I can't see Jordan been that great a side.

Good question.

As the man said…’comparisons are odious’……….Australia have beaten or drew with some European international sides, and been beaten by some.

They have went further than Scotland in the World Cup…..qualifying through the group stages for the round of 16, only to be beaten 1-0 by a dodgy Italian penalty in 2006.

They certainly aren’t as good just now as that squad, but it’s difficult to say who they would beat and who would beat them….it would just be a matter of opinion.

Let’s put it this way as a Scotsman living in Australia…

Scottish punters think Australia has a poor standard of football, and Australian punters think Scotland has a poor standard of football��

They are both too dismissive of the other’s ability.

calumhibee1
16-06-2021, 06:31 AM
Alex Gogic

PS

Agree to an extent.

I think he done a decent job for us when he came in but I certainly wouldn’t say he has been a class act. Whilst he was one of our better midfielders I’d suggest that says more about the others than it says about Irvine being really good.

BILLYHIBS
16-06-2021, 06:58 AM
Agree to an extent.

I think he done a decent job for us when he came in but I certainly wouldn’t say he has been a class act. Whilst he was one of our better midfielders I’d suggest that says more about the others than it says about Irvine being really good.
Difficult to argue with any of that

Let’s see what happens

Not long now