PDA

View Full Version : Ron Gordon/ alcohol in stadiums

Pages : [1] 2

.Sean.
26-05-2021, 09:59 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ron-gordon-hibs-keen-to-pilot-scheme-for-alcohol-at-football-grounds-as-owner-calls-for-league-brand-enhancement-3250087

See he’s on about getting bevvy re-introduced in stadiums up here again and is wanting Easter Road
to pilot it.

Well at least sales will be through the roof on matchdays with any more ‘performances’ like that spineless garbage on Saturday!

SaulGoodman
26-05-2021, 10:01 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ron-gordon-hibs-keen-to-pilot-scheme-for-alcohol-at-football-grounds-as-owner-calls-for-league-brand-enhancement-3250087.

Well at least sales will be through the roof on matchdays with any more ‘performances’ like that spineless garbage on Saturday!

Thanks for reminding me, there wasn’t enough chat about that already.

Since90+2
26-05-2021, 10:04 AM
Depends on how it is done.

If it's £6 for a shan lager in a plastic glass and it's not available at category A games I honestly doubt many people would bother.

Rumble de Thump
26-05-2021, 10:05 AM
It's not very often you see a thread being hijacked in the OP :greengrin Alcohol in stadiums would work fine, like it does elsewhere, as long as Sevco fans aren't involved.

Bridge hibs
26-05-2021, 10:09 AM
Just sell decent coffee instead of the current pissy water of an excuse on sale, thats enough to get me fired up for a game, alcohol I can give or take

Jones28
26-05-2021, 10:09 AM
It's only been 40 years since the alcohol fuelled riot that got the ban, maybe we can be trusted now? :rolleyes:

FWIW the authorities will look at George Square/Hampden 2016/other small incidents that have happened over the last few years and use it to continue their justification of treating football supporters like children.

We were in hospitality for the 5-5 game, it was hot in the lounge after the game so the staff opened the doors and then G4S guys were put on them to stop people looking through the doors. Why? Alcohol was being served on the other side of the door.

The Modfather
26-05-2021, 10:12 AM
Just sell decent coffee instead of the current pissy water of an excuse on sale, thats enough to get me fired up for a game, alcohol I can give or take

Decent coffee, now that’s a winning idea. Doubt I’d be particularly interested in a beer at the game given the likely quality and price. I’d pay for quality coffee though.

.Sean.
26-05-2021, 10:14 AM
Thanks for reminding me, there wasn’t enough chat about that already.
Apologies, never knew you were an admin 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Crunchie
26-05-2021, 10:18 AM
It's not very often you see a thread being hijacked in the OP :greengrin Alcohol in stadiums would work fine, like it does elsewhere, as long as Sevco fans aren't involved.
I don't think he knows the Scottish culture very well, it would be an utter disaster. It's a big no from me.

Onion
26-05-2021, 10:19 AM

If it's £6 for a shan lager in a plastic glass and it's not available at category A games I honestly doubt many people would bother.

Don't mock it :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsBwEVUiQR0

Since90+2
26-05-2021, 10:20 AM
I don't think he knows the Scottish culture very well, it would be an utter disaster. It's a big no from me.

It seems to work fine in England.

I would suggest there are far more clubs in England with the potential for the fans to kick off after a drink, the only exception in Scotland being Sevco, so I don't agree with that at all.

.Sean.
26-05-2021, 10:20 AM
Nah not got a clue mate, it must however be really really different down in England though I presume. Silly me

bigwheel
26-05-2021, 10:21 AM

Why do you think that ?? People just get melted beforehand if that’s their thing anyway ..why would some alcohol availability be a disaster ? It’s not as if they will be able to drink it while watching the game ...

I’m not really a drinker. But can’t imagine there is much risk in the proposal

bingo70
26-05-2021, 10:25 AM

Sounds like you don’t have a clue how it works in the real world then tk be honest.

20 minutes before kick off would you think it’s better for fans to be ordering one last pint of relatively low alcohol lager in a controlled environment or getting a round of shots or a double JD/vodka or whatever your short of choice is?

Would you rather people were able to get a pint of relatively low alcohol lager in the ground or bring a bottle of buck fast or half bottle of vodka in?

The arguments against pints being served in grounds are stupid and don’t stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever in the real world.

Peevemor
26-05-2021, 10:25 AM
Having had beer at a few different football grounds in England & in France it's really not a priority for me.

JohnM1875
26-05-2021, 10:28 AM
Just don't really think there's any real need for it. Plenty pubs around Easter Road for a pre and post match pint.

MunsterHibee
26-05-2021, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't mind having a beer in a stadium and watching Hibs but imagine going on an away trip to places like Ibrox and 50,000 alcohol fuelled current buns going ballistic. Sevco fans and alcohol are a bad mix and it'll only take that lot to ruin it for everyone else with their animalistic carry on. I think in the main most clubs fans would be perfectly fine if it was reintroduced into Scottish stadiums with the exception of you know who.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

marinello59
26-05-2021, 10:31 AM
Having had beer at a few different football grounds in England & in France it's really not a priority for me.

I’m the same but don’t see any good reason why we can’t have the same set up as England with beer available in the concourse only pre match and at half time. It won’t happen any time soon though.

Kato
26-05-2021, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't mind having a beer in a stadium and watching Hibs but imagine going on an away trip to places like Ibrox and 50,000 alcohol fuelled current buns going ballistic.

Does that require any imagination?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

bigwheel
26-05-2021, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't mind having a beer in a stadium and watching Hibs but imagine going on an away trip to places like Ibrox and 50,000 alcohol fuelled current buns going ballistic. Sevco fans and alcohol are a bad mix and it'll only take that lot to ruin it for everyone else with their animalistic carry on. I think in the main most clubs fans would be perfectly fine if it was reintroduced into Scottish stadiums with the exception of you know who.

Won’t most of them who want to drink loads of beers, just currently do it in a pub anyway ??

MunsterHibee
26-05-2021, 10:37 AM
Won’t most of them who want to drink loads of beers, just currently do it in a pub anyway ??And can easily keep drinking more and more after the pub when inside the stadium. Football is an emotional game and when you add alcohol into the mix it can spill over.

Crunchie
26-05-2021, 10:38 AM
Sounds like you don’t have a clue how it works in the real world then tk be honest.

20 minutes before kick off would you think it’s better for fans to be ordering one last pint of relatively low alcohol lager in a controlled environment or getting a round of shots or a double JD/vodka or whatever your short of choice is?

Would you rather people were able to get a pint of relatively low alcohol lager in the ground or bring a bottle of buck fast or half bottle of vodka in?

The arguments against pints being served in grounds are stupid and don’t stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever in the real world.
Only my experience with Scots and alcohol in general, we're a breed apart when it comes to the demon drink.

bigwheel
26-05-2021, 10:39 AM
And can easily keep drinking more and more after the pub when inside the stadium. Football is an emotional game and when you add alcohol into the mix it can spill over.

If they want to watch the game, I reckon they would get maximum 30 mins more drinking time in a stadium than they have in a local pub ......

If they are not watching the match , it would be easy for security to intervene .....

Also. You are taking about the exceptions ..why build plan around those ?

Since90+2
26-05-2021, 10:39 AM
Only my experience with Scots and alcohol in general, we're a breed apart when it comes to the demon drink.

English football fans have been involved in more fighting than us over the years have they not?

bigwheel
26-05-2021, 10:41 AM

Still though ..they will have limited more time to drink at a game than they already do ..unless they don’t watch the match

Andy74
26-05-2021, 10:42 AM
Just don't really think there's any real need for it. Plenty pubs around Easter Road for a pre and post match pint.

To encourage people to spend that money in the ground, make an occasion of the pre match experience etc.

Crunchie
26-05-2021, 10:46 AM
English football fans have been involved in more fighting than us over the years have they not?
With 10 times the population i'm sure they have, I'm talking about up here mate.

bingo70
26-05-2021, 10:47 AM
To encourage people to spend that money in the ground, make an occasion of the pre match experience etc.

Stop people bringing in glass bottles they then chuck at Huns when they’re finished with it.

ancient hibee
26-05-2021, 10:51 AM
And in other news Nicola Sturgeon has just spontaneously combusted.

Since90+2
26-05-2021, 10:51 AM
With 10 times the population i'm sure they have, I'm talking about up here mate.

Ok, let's try another way.

Who has been involved in more bother the Tartan Army or fans of the English national side? By your logic we are uniquely bad with alcohol in us so surely it would be the TA. When the reality is it's the exact opposite.

Allez Hibs
26-05-2021, 10:52 AM
And in other news Nicola Sturgeon has just spontaneously combusted.

???

ancient hibee
26-05-2021, 10:53 AM
???

what?

Allez Hibs
26-05-2021, 10:54 AM

I think outdoor concourse fanzone areas could work? Behind East and West Stands controlled properly? Similar to tailgating in US.

Crunchie
26-05-2021, 11:00 AM
Ok, let's try another way.

Who has been involved in more bother the Tartan Army or fans of the English national side? By your logic we are uniquely bad with alcohol in us so surely it would be the TA. When the reality is it's the exact opposite.
Not looking for an argument, my opinion is the stadium should be alcohol free, and I'd actually go further and eject the obviously drunk and loud ones more vigorously.

wookie70
I'd rather they left it. It is a pain in the arse people getting up and moving about, coming in late and blocking your view etc. ER is a safe place for me and my kids and I'd rather the food and drink was improved. When I used to drink heavily we did our drinking in the pub before and after and it was never really an issue stopping for the game. At least back then if you didn't like the crowd next to you you could move around to another part of the terrace. Now if you get someone who likes a drink and needs a pee repeatedly you are stuck with it

Sir David Gray
Although it doesn't affect me as I always drive to games, it would be nice to think it would be possible to introduce this as an option. However I think this is a complete non-starter, there's no way the current government would approve this in my opinion.

Crunchie
26-05-2021, 11:02 AM
I'd rather they left it. It is a pain in the arse people getting up and moving about, coming in late and blocking your view etc. ER is a safe place for me and my kids and I'd rather the food and drink was improved. When I used to drink heavily we did our drinking in the pub before and after and it was never really an issue stopping for the game. At least back then if you didn't like the crowd next to you you could move around to another part of the terrace. Now if you get someone who likes a drink and needs a pee repeatedly you are stuck with it
My thoughts exactly :agree:

Stuart93
Not looking for an argument, my opinion is the stadium should be alcohol free, and I'd actually go further and eject the obviously drunk and loud ones more vigorously.

You’re not allowed to be loud in a football stadium now?

There’s always going to be people who get drunk before they go to the football. If they can behave themselves whilst in the ground then there’s absolutely no problem with it

I also think Ron is viewing it as a good way to enhance our match day revenue

The Harp Awakes
Maybe some folk would be keen on alcohol being sold inside the stadium, but for me it's not a big deal. I like a pint before and after the game but for the 90 minutes I'm just there to watch the football. Not sure it would be a great idea anyway, particularly during highly charged games.

I think there's plenty more important things Hibs need to focus on than selling alcohol in the stadium.

Allez Hibs
26-05-2021, 11:03 AM
what?

Get your post now 😂

Crunchie
26-05-2021, 11:04 AM
You’re not allowed to be loud in a football stadium now?

There’s always going to be people who get drunk before they go to the football. If they can behave themselves whilst in the ground then there’s absolutely no problem with it
C'mon Stuart, I know you know what I mean, only the drunk ones my friend :aok:

ancient hibee
26-05-2021, 11:05 AM
Get your post now 😂

better late than never-slow burners are the best.

SaulGoodman
26-05-2021, 11:07 AM
Apologies, never knew you were an admin 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Eh?

Since90+2
26-05-2021, 11:09 AM
You'd need to eject about 70% of the East Stand at Derbies if we were to remove drunk and loud fans.

Bridge hibs
26-05-2021, 11:15 AM
I'd rather they left it. It is a pain in the arse people getting up and moving about, coming in late and blocking your view etc. ER is a safe place for me and my kids and I'd rather the food and drink was improved. When I used to drink heavily we did our drinking in the pub before and after and it was never really an issue stopping for the game. At least back then if you didn't like the crowd next to you you could move around to another part of the terrace. Now if you get someone who likes a drink and needs a pee repeatedly you are stuck with itWe could get hibs branded nappies, reading this forum the past few days I think they would be a big seller 😆

I could actually see a market for a fan zone area or areas for pre match, not sure about low alcohol beers in plastic tumblers though if that was to be suggested. I like the idea of a pre match build up though but Im sure there are other ways of doing this without the need to introduce concourse bars etc. Im fine either way, dont think I will be pushing folk out of the way to be first in the queue,

O'Rourke3
26-05-2021, 11:17 AM
Dont think it'll happen but as I drive to all games I'd rather not be in the beer shower when a goal is scored. You'd never stop all fans getting a beer back to their seat.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Is It On....
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ron-gordon-hibs-keen-to-pilot-scheme-for-alcohol-at-football-grounds-as-owner-calls-for-league-brand-enhancement-3250087

See he’s on about getting bevvy re-introduced in stadiums up here again and is wanting Easter Road
to pilot it.

I used the phrase "low quality, lack of intensity" to describe Saturday's performance but "spineless garbage" works equally well 😂

Ozyhibby

That’s because you believe we are all work shy malingerers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delbert
26-05-2021, 11:21 AM

to pilot it.

Great idea and if last Saturday’s performances are the shape of things to come, can I suggest we adopt one of Ron’s countryman’s ideas and ensure we have bleach on tap !

Stuart93
26-05-2021, 11:21 AM
C'mon Stuart, I know you know what I mean, only the drunk ones my friend :aok:

Aye but that’s my point. I’ve been drunk a few times going into Easter road and been able to behave myself.

The ones who make an arse of themselves then absolutely.

In terms of the whole of Scottish football not being able to get a pint in the ground because of the actions of fans of 2 teams 40 years ago is ****ing ridiculous.

Whether they sell alcohol in the ground or not you’ll always get some drunken ********s who can’t behave themselves at the ground. I don’t see it being any worse if they can get a pint in the ground.

The dalmeny
26-05-2021, 11:22 AM

It’s murder if you are at the end of a row

Hibbyradge
26-05-2021, 11:26 AM

What are your reasons for that opinion?

I don't think many fans would prefer to pay for expensive drinks in plastic glasses to a decent pint in their usual pre-match haunt.

The bars would be shut for the majority of the game so one before kick off, or maybe 2 if you do turn up early, and maybe one at half-time isn't going to cause people to go doolally.

Hibernia&Alba
26-05-2021, 11:26 AM
It's a waste of time anyway. A tenner for a room temperature can of Budweiser. Just have a proper pint in a pub nearby.

lord bunberry
26-05-2021, 11:34 AM
The stadium isn’t alcohol free now, you can have a drink in the bar in the famous five then watch the game. The only difference would be the ability to have a drink at halftime. The bars would be closed during the game. It’s a nonsense that fans can’t have a drink in the stadium, there should be fan zones behind the two main stands selling food and drink before the game. It would probably be limited to category b games to begin with.

Andy74
26-05-2021, 11:35 AM
It's a waste of time anyway. A tenner for a room temperature can of Budweiser. Just have a proper pint in a pub nearby.

There are also much cheaper ways to get food before coming in but it is part of the experience and if people want to be able to pay that to have a drink or two in the ground then it is an additional way to make some cash.

Jones28

It's more about getting the money in to the tills at Easter Road than elsewhere.

Even better if you can make it more than a plastic pint - maybe some smaller, local places getting a chance to serve their drinks with pop-up stands and things.

If you get fans in the ground 90 minutes before kick off sinking a few pints it's better for the team. Same with post match. it was one of the things that struck me about going to old trafford a few years ago, I got chatting to one of my neighbours who was an ST holder and she said it was usually busier around a hour before kick off because people could come for a pint in the ground. This was a champions league night so there was no drink which was disappointing. Murrayfield starts to get busy waaaay before kick off with people going for a pint prior to the game too for the same reason.

Wembley67
Let's not kid ourselves, if we sold bevvy the queues would be massive even at £10 a pint.

04Sauzee
26-05-2021, 11:38 AM
It's more about getting the money in to the tills at Easter Road than elsewhere.

Even better if you can make it more than a plastic pint - maybe some smaller, local places getting a chance to serve their drinks with pop-up stands and things.

If you get fans in the ground 90 minutes before kick off sinking a few pints it's better for the team. Same with post match. it was one of the things that struck me about going to old trafford a few years ago, I got chatting to one of my neighbours who was an ST holder and she said it was usually busier around a hour before kick off because people could come for a pint in the ground. This was a champions league night so there was no drink which was disappointing. Murrayfield starts to get busy waaaay before kick off with people going for a pint prior to the game too for the same reason.
People in the ground having a a pie and a pint rather than alcohol outside and a burger from the van . Has to be done right but it's money in Hibs tills as you say which can only be a good thing

WhileTheChief..
26-05-2021, 11:46 AM
The whole idea is so you can sit and watch the game with a beer.

It’s not about buying one before the match or thousands of us queueing at half time to try and get served and then have to down a pint before the 2nd half starts.

At most, folk will have 1 or 2 pints during the match, maybe arriving slightly earlier than they do now. That’s hardly going to turn us into marauding, drunken louts.

cabbageandribs1875
26-05-2021, 11:48 AM
off topic a tad but still about bevy my memories awful but what happened to stop the wee trial thing the club done where bevy was served outside the East a couple of seasons back

147lothian
26-05-2021, 12:06 PM
I've had a beer at half time in England (and it wasn't great), so the idea doesn't really appeal to me. I just don't feel I have a need for booze durring the game tbh. Maybe I've just got used to a drink before and after games, but I don't mind if it stays that way.

Chorley Hibee
26-05-2021, 12:09 PM
The whole idea is so you can sit and watch the game with a beer.

It’s not about buying one before the match or thousands of us queueing at half time to try and get served and then have to down a pint before the 2nd half starts.

At most, folk will have 1 or 2 pints during the match, maybe arriving slightly earlier than they do now. That’s hardly going to turn us into marauding, drunken louts.

If it's like the current format in England then you'll not be allowed beer outwith the concourse.

one day maybe...
26-05-2021, 12:10 PM
i had discussions (I work for a Scottish beer company) around alcohol at games before the first lockdown kicked in with an SPFL team and how we could make this work.
The idea at the time would be based around a fanzone (Home Team only) with family entertainment and food on offer. It would operate around certain licensed hours only & on a game by game basis.
You'd have to be a season ticket holder to get entry. This would stop any rogue entry or conflict from away fans.

This is something that clubs are seriously looking at as a way of increasing revenue.

BoomtownHibees
26-05-2021, 12:25 PM
i had discussions (I work for a Scottish beer company) around alcohol at games before the first lockdown kicked in with an SPFL team and how we could make this work.
The idea at the time would be based around a fanzone (Home Team only) with family entertainment and food on offer. It would operate around certain licensed hours only & on a game by game basis.
You'd have to be a season ticket holder to get entry. This would stop any rogue entry or conflict from away fans.

This is something that clubs are seriously looking at as a way of increasing revenue.

Pretty much like a relocated Behind the Goals?

Just Alf
26-05-2021, 12:39 PM

Sounds it, would be good if any new version allowed access for any home end supporter, it would make a good addition to BtG.

Heckys Wheel
26-05-2021, 12:45 PM
It’s a shame Ron wasn’t up at The Ballroom at Jocks Lodge on Saturday after the game. He could’ve seen the carnage the mixture of football, alcohol and silly laddies that can’t handle their drink causes.

Lago
26-05-2021, 12:46 PM

It will never happen, scot Gov would freekout.

.Sean.
26-05-2021, 12:47 PM
It will never happen, scot Gov would freekout.
They’re quite happy for their posh pals at the Six Nations to get pished and act like bell ends though?

weecounty hibby
26-05-2021, 12:58 PM
They’re quite happy for their posh pals at the Six Nations to get pished and act like bell ends though?

Can you link rugby fans drinking and full scale riots. Acting like bell ends is what drunk folk do, rugby fans, cricket fans, tennis fans. Only football fans turn that into battering each other, the polis and general mayhem.

one day maybe...
26-05-2021, 12:59 PM

Yeah exactly like that. Not for everyone but some people do enjoy the safe environment away from the pubs around the ground.
Add to that the incentive that you are putting the price of your pre match pint into the club.
The discussions i had were around the example Beavertown have with Tottenham, so not so much mainstream (I know Heineken own them now) before anyone jumps down my throat.

Clubs like Hibs could be used as pilots for change at our games in Scotland.

Haymaker
26-05-2021, 01:49 PM

It's quite nice over here to have a cold beer watching a game when it is hot... $26 for two beers is not great though.

Lago
26-05-2021, 01:51 PM
Perhaps because they know how to behave sensibly.

Stuart93
26-05-2021, 01:52 PM
I was down in Newcastle a few years ago and it was quite nice to get a bottle of beer (plastic) at half time.

I may have enjoyed it too much because I didn’t reappear at my seat until the 60th minute

marinello59
26-05-2021, 01:53 PM
Perhaps because they know how to behave sensibly.

I lived in Twickenham for a while and I witnessed some pretty obnoxious behaviour by drunken rugby fans. They ain’t no saints.

Iain G
26-05-2021, 01:58 PM
Get Pilot or Campervan to make a lowish % Hibernian IPA available exclusively in the stadium, and Leith Juice!

Also why can't they have decent coffee? Wander round to Easter Road and see if Little Fitzroy fancy the gig or Williams and Johnson? 👍

So many good local providers that we could really support local business.

weecounty hibby
26-05-2021, 01:59 PM
I lived in Twickenham for a while and I witnessed some pretty obnoxious behaviour by drunken rugby fans. They ain’t no saints.

And this is the argument that comes up time and again. I have followed Scotland Rugby and the Lions across the world and also followed Hibs and Scotland football across Europe. Did I see obnoxious behaviour from rugby fans, yes. From football fans, yes. Full on running battles with rugby fans, no. Full on running battles with football fans, yes

Kato
26-05-2021, 02:02 PM
I lived in Twickenham for a while and I witnessed some pretty obnoxious behaviour by drunken rugby fans. They ain’t no saints.The reason it doesnt escalate into a "reputation" is the police tend to stand back and smile at their "antics".

marinello59
26-05-2021, 02:03 PM
And this is the argument that comes up time and again. I have followed Scotland Rugby and the Lions across the world and also followed Hibs and Scotland football across Europe. Did I see obnoxious behaviour from rugby fans, yes. From football fans, yes. Full on running battles with rugby fans, no. Full on running battles with football fans, yes

I remember when running battles at the fitba, inside and outside the stadium, was the norm. How often have you personally witnessed large scale battles in the past twenty years or so. It’s a rarity these days.

matty_f
26-05-2021, 02:11 PM
I remember when running battles at the fitba, inside and outside the stadium, was the norm. How often have you personally witnessed large scale battles in the past twenty years or so. It’s a rarity these days.

Do you think removing alcohol from the equation might have impacted that? :greengrin

I actually agree with you, though. Football stands are better designed and set out now for better behaviour within them.

I’m not against the idea of a half time beer for folk that want it, I usually have the car so it’s neither here nor there for me, but we’re all adults and of i can be trusted with a beer going to a gig or a stand up show, or the cinema, i should be trusted with one at the football.

Since90+2
26-05-2021, 02:14 PM
Rugby fans are better behaved than football fans. It would be daft to suggest otherwise. Rugby fans are not segregated for a start, can you honestly imagine that happening at a Scotland v England football game? You'd have fights breaking out all over the stadium.

marinello59
26-05-2021, 02:21 PM
Do you think removing alcohol from the equation might have impacted that? :greengrin

I actually agree with you, though. Football stands are better designed and set out now for better behaviour within them.

I’m not against the idea of a half time beer for folk that want it, I usually have the car so it’s neither here nor there for me, but we’re all adults and of i can be trusted with a beer going to a gig or a stand up show, or the cinema, i should be trusted with one at the football.

Stadium design plays a large part but so does the demographic attending games. Many more families attend games together now. The days of football catering predominantly for single males are already in the past, something Ron Gordon obviously recognises. I’m not bothered about having a beer at the game, I probably wouldn’t bother, but there is no longer any good reason why those who want a pre-match drink in the concourse can’t have one.

weecounty hibby
26-05-2021, 02:25 PM

Der hun twice in the last month. Celtic a couple of times recently when losing games. Hibs fan throwing a bottle and another jumping the wall to have a go at Tavernier. Yes there is less of an issue now but it's still there

In a season ER will see approx 350000 attendees. Murrayfield will see approx 400000 attendees. Guess where will see arrests and where won't. I'm not against drink at games but it will lead to issues.

matty_f
26-05-2021, 02:26 PM
Stadium design plays a large part but so does the demographic attending games. Many more families attend games together now. The days of football catering predominantly for single males are already in the past, something Ron Gordon obviously recognises. I’m not bothered about having a beer at the game, I probably wouldn’t bother, but there is no longer any good reason why those who want a pre-match drink in the concourse can’t have one.
:agree:

AngloHibs
26-05-2021, 03:20 PM
We have booze in the concourses down here, but I've never bothered. Overpriced fizz with nowhere to sit and drink it and no time to enjoy it, I see it as just having a quick pint for the sake of it.

Ron may see drink working at American Football, which I believe has many natural breaks, but it doesn't fit in with football for me.

Cricket, on the other hand.... 🍻

The dalmeny
26-05-2021, 03:37 PM
Rugby fans are better behaved than football fans. It would be daft to suggest otherwise. Rugby fans are not segregated for a start, can you honestly imagine that happening at a Scotland v England football game? You'd have fights breaking out all over the stadium.

I mind I was in Rome the day after Boro had played Roma and had a couple of guys stabbed. We were in the pub in kilts etc, some English boys started talking to us they were across for the football but scared ****less to go out in colours as groups of Roma fans were going about looking for boro fans to give a doing to.

brog
26-05-2021, 03:53 PM
It's ludicrous that I as a UK citizen living in London can have a beer at my local ground before & after the game, or at h/t if I wish (I very rarely do) but I can't do the same at ER. It's even more ludicrous that I (as I have done) watched Edinburgh Rugby on a Friday night with a beer in my hand during the game but the next day at ER I can't have a beer at any time in the stadium, unless of course I'm in the Edinburgh Suite. I may not want a beer in the ground but I should be able to have it if I do. I don't go drinking in clubs in the early hours now but it doesn't mean I think no one else should be able to. I can't believe so many people on here putting down Scots and/or football fans. We had exactly the same arguments before the licensing laws were changed in the 70s, hugely for the better IMO. Only others of my age will remember if you wanted a drink on a Sunday you had to be a "bona fide " traveller & check in to a hotel outside your area. That was genius, people gulping down drink in the limited time available then driving home, what could possibly go wrong?
Treat people like adults & in general they will behave like adults. Make alcohol forbidden fruit & it only increases the attraction.

BoomtownHibees
26-05-2021, 04:13 PM
If anybody wants to drink themselves in to oblivion then that’s going to happen regardless of being able to get a drink in the stadium or not.

What this would hopefully encourage if done correctly would be people going to ER instead of the pub, spending their money with Hibs rather than elsewhere, folk leaving the pub early and having their last pre-match pint in the ground rather than the pub, grabbing a pint or 2 after the game before moving on. All financially beneficial for Hibs without much, if any, risk at all

MWHIBBIES
26-05-2021, 04:35 PM

Rugby fans turn up twice a year, both sides clap eachother and they all get pished. Thats a wedding, not a sporting event. Of course they are well behaved.

Hermit Crab
26-05-2021, 04:40 PM
Once all fans are allowed back in stadiums then we could look at this. Not a priority just now imo.

Clarence
26-05-2021, 04:56 PM
I think the pattern of get hammered before game, sober up a wee bit, maybe have a pie and a juice during the game, then get hammered more after the game (that many of even the most cultured amongst us sometimes fall into). Would be replaced by get hammered, not sober up a wee bit, get more hammered after the game and not have a great time of it.

Of course we should probably not be getting hammered so much but that is an undeniable element of attending the football for many, and while I think things are changing, I don’t really see that happening until the sensible millennial generation is well into their 40s and the radge gen Xers and baby boomers have all peeved themselves into retirement.

AngloHibs
26-05-2021, 04:56 PM
I mind I was in Rome the day after Boro had played Roma and had a couple of guys stabbed. We were in the pub in kilts etc, some English boys started talking to us they were across for the football but scared ****less to go out in colours as groups of Roma fans were going about looking for boro fans to give a doing to.

That was mental, to be honest. Boro had a great couple of seasons in Europe, but the Rome fans were just out for trouble and anyone was fair game including women and families.

I'm not sure whether alcohol necessarily played a part with the Rome fans though, as I believe Italians have a different relationship to alcohol than us Brits 🍻.

I believe other English fans had problems there the next year, can't remember if it was Liverpool or Spurs.

Since90+2
26-05-2021, 05:06 PM
Rugby fans turn up twice a year, both sides clap eachother and they all get pished. Thats a wedding, not a sporting event. Of course they are well behaved.

Eh no, it is a sporting event, it's a rugby event. You are correct that the atmosphere is completely different which is exactly what the discussion is about.

Football has a lot more bams and drunken ********s who think they are Mike Tyson after a few drinks than rugby. It's not even up for debate.

The dalmeny
26-05-2021, 05:47 PM
That was mental, to be honest. Boro had a great couple of seasons in Europe, but the Rome fans were just out for trouble and anyone was fair game including women and families.

I'm not sure whether alcohol necessarily played a part with the Rome fans though, as I believe Italians have a different relationship to alcohol than us Brits 🍻.

I believe other English fans had problems there the next year, can't remember if it was Liverpool or Spurs.

you’re right their fans like a pagger.

in Ciampo di Fiori outside the boozer. Roma fans in one corner, lazio in another, police in a third. Massive charge and pile on, police arrest whos left, hilarious to watch, not to get caught up in.

Hibbyradge
26-05-2021, 05:53 PM
The reason it doesnt escalate into a "reputation" is the police tend to stand back and smile at their "antics".

I went to a match when the fans were herded to the game with a row of police officers on either side and a helicopter above. This wasn't so much to stop the fans being escorted from misbehaving, but to stop them being attacked.

I'll give you one guess as to the sport.

Edit: I'm for alcohol at grounds, by the way. The behaviour of fans at the 2 sports is a different issue.

Hibbyradge
26-05-2021, 05:57 PM

I thought you could drink at league matches at Murrafield.

Billy Whizz
26-05-2021, 06:05 PM
What a terrible idea Ron, please don’t

Hiber-nation
26-05-2021, 06:08 PM
What a terrible idea Ron, please don’t

I agree. Don't fancy getting soaked with beer these days.

Kato
26-05-2021, 06:15 PM
I went to a match when the fans were herded to the game with a row of police officers on either side and a helicopter above. This wasn't so much to stop the fans being escorted from misbehaving, but to stop them being attacked.

I'll give you one guess as to the sport.

Edit: I'm for alcohol at grounds, by the way. The behaviour of fans at the 2 sports is a different issue.

That be Association Football.

I'm not saying that football fans are angels or that the amount of trouble caused is reflected by rugby fans, but I've also seen some absolute ****baggery from rugby fans in town and some incidents directed towards women that was just way out of order. What I will say is that there is one attitude from police towards football fans and another whole set of rules for rugby fans.

I'm ambivalent about alcohol at the football, if it made Hibs money and could be done without affecting crowd behaviour then I would be for it.

Pretty Boy
26-05-2021, 06:30 PM
These debates are always circular and it's highly unlikely anyone is going to change their mind.

Fwiw I think a £6 pint of Carling is unlikely to turn Hibs v Ross County on a Wednesday night into a raging street battle. I always find it a bit baffling that you can essentially drink in the stadium at ER just now, you just have to go back out then in another door when you do. Equally though recent evidence has shown that some football fans still can't be trusted not to believe a pint and the presence of a football context means anything goes. The fact that they can bevvy to their hearts contents in pubs or the street 2 minutes from the stadium will be of little consequence. The message about alcohol at football, no matter how contradictory it may seem, will remain as is.

Billy Whizz
26-05-2021, 06:46 PM
These debates are always circular and it's highly unlikely anyone is going to change their mind.

Fwiw I think a £6 pint of Carling is unlikely to turn Hibs v Ross County on a Wednesday night into a raging street battle. I always find it a bit baffling that you can essentially drink in the stadium at ER just now, you just have to go back out then in another door when you do. Equally though recent evidence has shown that some football fans still can't be trusted not to believe a pint and the presence of a football context means anything goes. The fact that they can bevvy to their hearts contents in pubs or the street 2 minutes from the stadium will be of little consequence. The message about alcohol at football, no matter how contradictory it may seem, will remain as is.

The thing is PB, I can choose whether I want to go these places pre match or not
Someone has to tell Ron, that it’s not as warm and sunny in Scotland, as it is in the states
They can gather hours before and eat hot dogs and Coca Cola, and watch pre match entertainment. That’s not our culture, as it can be so cold at games that fans will turn up hits before Ko
If he wants to encourage the matchday experience and get us in sooner, a must is a roof over ER😀

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-05-2021, 08:31 PM

Having been to numerous former Eastern Bloc countries for football I really don't think that's true.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-05-2021, 08:35 PM

A tenner for a can of beer, who would charge or pay that? 🤔

Iain G
26-05-2021, 08:39 PM
The thing is PB, I can choose whether I want to go these places pre match or not
Someone has to tell Ron, that it’s not as warm and sunny in Scotland, as it is in the states
They can gather hours before and eat hot dogs and Coca Cola, and watch pre match entertainment. That’s not our culture, as it can be so cold at games that fans will turn up hits before Ko
If he wants to encourage the matchday experience and get us in sooner, a must is a roof over ER😀

So we need a decent Porter or Stout on tap then, is that what you are saying? 😁

bod
26-05-2021, 08:46 PM
Hopefully it’s a goer . Open the bar at 2 -3 , 10 mins at half time then 1/2 hour full time . Hardly going to get folk drunk

EI255
26-05-2021, 09:25 PM
We should team up with a local Edinburgh brewer and punt their stuff at ER. Everyone a winner.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
26-05-2021, 10:03 PM
Thish tread ish 'hic' riliculous ... why, why why 'hic' shouldnt drink be 'hic' alloud in shdadiumsh 'hic' :party::scarf::jamboak::sairhead:

Iain G
26-05-2021, 10:21 PM
We should team up with a local Edinburgh brewer and punt their stuff at ER. Everyone a winner.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Said that a page or three back, and there are lovely leith breweries that would be ideal.

CJHibby
27-05-2021, 06:57 AM
I think it's a no brainer. Reintroducing the sale of alcohol at football stadia is an ideal revenue stream that would be welcomed by so many clubs across the land especially in these austere times.

lord bunberry
27-05-2021, 12:11 PM
I’ve seen comments about raging battles and other such sensationalist remarks around selling alcohol in football stadiums. Does anyone seriously think selling alcohol in the stadium is going to turn a hibs v Livingston game into a powderkeg atmosphere? It’s just not going to happen, the most likely outcome would be people trying to get away from watching the game. Category A games could be exempt from the beginning.

Since90+2
27-05-2021, 12:30 PM
I’ve seen comments about raging battles and other such sensationalist remarks around selling alcohol in football stadiums. Does anyone seriously think selling alcohol in the stadium is going to turn a hibs v Livingston game into a powderkeg atmosphere? It’s just not going to happen, the most likely outcome would be people trying to get away from watching the game. Category A games could be exempt from the beginning.

If it were to happen I'd imagine it would be the same as in England where alcohol is not available during the game. Only beforehand and halftime.

Billy Whizz
27-05-2021, 12:37 PM
If it were to happen I'd imagine it would be the same as in England where alcohol is not available during the game. Only beforehand and halftime.

You struggle to buy anything at ht at ER, unless you leave your seat early, you won’t see the start of the 2nd half

lord bunberry
27-05-2021, 12:37 PM
:agree: I’d think that’s definitely what would happen. The idea that somehow doing that will lead to trouble at category b games is ridiculous.

WhileTheChief..
27-05-2021, 01:18 PM
The only difference being half time then, as we can already use behind the goals before the game.

Half time is a non starter though. Most normal people don’t drink a pint in under 15 mins let alone queue with hundreds of others to buy it in the first place.

It has to be about being able to take your beer to your seat whilst watching the game.

matty_f
27-05-2021, 01:24 PM
To be fair, last time i was at Livi the folk tanning lines of coke in the toilets at half time would be more likely to cause bother than folk having a half time pint.

nonshinyfinish
27-05-2021, 01:27 PM
To be fair, last time i was at Livi the folk tanning lines of coke in the toilets at half time would be more likely to cause bother than folk having a half time pint.

Have you seen the profit margins on that stuff? Start selling that at half time and watch us leave Aberdeen in the, er, dust.

matty_f
27-05-2021, 01:31 PM
Have you seen the profit margins on that stuff? Start selling that at half time and watch us leave Aberdeen in the, er, dust.

Hibs Class (A)

CMurdoch
27-05-2021, 01:38 PM
Hibs Class (A)

:top marks

Sylar
27-05-2021, 01:52 PM
I thought you could drink at league matches at Murrafield.

:agree: - all Edinburgh games are open for buying beers before and during the match, in addition to International test matches.

As for drink being widely available at the football, I'm torn. Most football clubs would be fine selling alcohol in their stadia, and I doubt it would result in any additional trouble/risk of trouble than folk going to a pub beforehand. I just can't see, given the scenes we've seen this year from The Rangers and Celtc fans, how such a move could garner support from a positively presbyterian Government that are already as anti-alcohol and anti-football as they can possibly be.

Yet, clearly it's a 'class' thing, because drinking at hospitality is fine if you can afford it...

CMurdoch
27-05-2021, 01:57 PM
The biggest limitations on this are:
1. The concourses unlike a boozer are absolutely baltic for most of the season. No heating or even hot water and open to the wind and cold.
2. Before Category A games would be a non starter
3. Half time concourse drinking is tough without missing parts of the game which is just sad behaviour and alcohol beyond the concourse won't happen as a starting point.

So what you could have that would be attractive is an hour serving alcohol before and an hour after the game in the less baltic months.

Downsides are folk would be late in, early out and more of them probably up for a piss and then returning during the game than currently happens to the annoyance of their fellow supporters. If alcohol was allowed beyond the concourse involuntary beer showers would also be an unwelcome addition.

Ron like all businessmen is all about the money but still has much to learn about our football culture and climate.

RoscoHibby
27-05-2021, 05:20 PM
Really don’t see it being an issue and would bring more money into the coffers (liked his chat about improving kiosks and the food on offer as well!)

Few points folk seem to have missed.

we’re no huns, not sure how the recent weegie rampages are being compared to us.

As Ron said in his interview, we’d put controls in place. E.g. wee tent that was out the back of the east the other year, gotta beep in with your season book. Can’t handle a few beers n got to be the big man...well see you later, no welcome back, that’s 400+ quid doon the toilet. Which segways nicely to comments about said idiot throwing a bottle..as a result we now have excellent cctv in the stadium, so if your being an idiot in your seat, then we’ll horse you out too. Id actually encourage not only this, but naming and shaming said individuals on the hibs website afterwards, put it in the Ts&Cs of your entry.

The concourses are quite busy, why not just have some little pop up stalls at opposite side where bookies used to be and/or people with coolers/card readers to handle any half time rush and keep the food traffic flowing..?

Think a fanzone type thing would be good, try amalgamate with the entertainment for the bairns...some outdoor type heaters for when it’s cold (or actually build, between north n east?) Couple of beers before the game would be nice, specially when weather good. Or a wee sing song n some highlights of the game/goals if been a good performance/result. Sounds good to me 🍻 and more importantly and what he’s trying to achieve, is more money for Hibs.

Iain G
27-05-2021, 05:30 PM
The biggest limitations on this are:
1. The concourses unlike a boozer are absolutely baltic for most of the season. No heating or even hot water and open to the wind and cold.
2. Before Category A games would be a non starter
3. Half time concourse drinking is tough without missing parts of the game which is just sad behaviour and alcohol beyond the concourse won't happen as a starting point.

So what you could have that would be attractive is an hour serving alcohol before and an hour after the game in the less baltic months.

Downsides are folk would be late in, early out and more of them probably up for a piss and then returning during the game than currently happens to the annoyance of their fellow supporters. If alcohol was allowed beyond the concourse involuntary beer showers would also be an unwelcome addition.

Ron like all businessmen is all about the money but still has much to learn about our football culture and climate.

Or Ron as an enterprising businessman is just not going settle for the negative, can't do attitude and look at ways to improve the match day experience.

The alcohol thing may not work out but being able to buy a coffee that actually tastes of coffee and food that is healthier and tastier and fresher can easily be achieved.

Pop ups and fanzones may be the way to implement this and pop up stalls offering coffee and different food options would be easy enough to do both outside and inside the ground.

Am all for him looking at new ways and turning over long held ideas to see what can be done.

Billy Whizz
27-05-2021, 06:01 PM
Or Ron as an enterprising businessman is just not going settle for the negative, can't do attitude and look at ways to improve the match day experience.

The alcohol thing may not work out but being able to buy a coffee that actually tastes of coffee and food that is healthier and tastier and fresher can easily be achieved.

Pop ups and fanzones may be the way to implement this and pop up stalls offering coffee and different food options would be easy enough to do both outside and inside the ground.

Am all for him looking at new ways and turning over long held ideas to see what can be done.

I can agree with a lot of this. Food has been awful for ages
They need to think around the idea pop up and Fanzones, if the want fans at the game early. How do they keep them warm though?
You go down to the East at half time in the winter, and it’s even colder than the stands, as they open the doors for the smokers

CMurdoch
27-05-2021, 06:34 PM

This thread is about Ron Gordon wanting alcohol sold in our stadium and my answer related solely to that issue.

Re your reply, Ron is a new face but still just another club owner asking the same old question that has been asked many times before by supporters and other club owners. There is nothing enterprising or can do about a different person repeating the same request.

Timing is also poor given the recent violent and destructive drunken antics of football supporters of the two biggest clubs in Scotland during the pandemic.
Sadly that is what Scottish folk not interested in football have seen off Scottish football supporters in recent times and that includes those in power and this alone will see this request kicked into the long grass again until next time.

Peanut Shaz
27-05-2021, 08:56 PM
I understand the logic behind the idea -bringing more revenue into the football club. However, if it was run properly and was a success I would feel a certain amount of sympathy for the 'local' pubs the fans currently use pre and post match. It would probably affect their business and after the past year or so they've had I'd have some sympathy for them as match days for many are where they make their money.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-05-2021, 09:50 PM
If the club charges £10 per can as someone mentioned earlier in the thread I doubt the Easter Road pubs will have many worries.

lyonhibs
27-05-2021, 09:53 PM
Anyone at the Bolton friendly like a decade ago (maybe well more, the memory is getting a tad blurry) will be well aware why booze at top flight Scottish games, certainly cat A, is a while off yet.

Hibernia&Alba
27-05-2021, 10:04 PM
If the club charges £10 per can as someone mentioned earlier in the thread I doubt the Easter Road pubs will have many worries.

That was me, mate, but it was just a figure of speech. However, at English grounds I have been to, bevy has been very expensive (four or five quid for a warm can) and with very limited range, due to sponsorship deals with companies. Then you can't drink it in your seat. It isn't worth bothering.

hibsbollah
27-05-2021, 10:35 PM
Anyone at the Bolton friendly like a decade ago (maybe well more, the memory is getting a tad blurry) will be well aware why booze at top flight Scottish games, certainly cat A, is a while off yet.

Since the trouble at that game took place mostly pre match on Bolton High Street, by pissed up elderly casuals who’d been drinking carry oot on the train, I don’t see the relevance to the debate about drinking in grounds.

Hannah_hfc
28-05-2021, 07:02 AM

Coincidentally, Kilted Donut (Leith based donut shop) had an Instagram story photo based inside the ER concourse teasing that they had some news coming soon.

I think we’ll see quite a few pop ups from Leith/ Edinburgh food places at Easter Road which is exciting.

Iain G
28-05-2021, 07:56 AM
Coincidentally, Kilted Donut (Leith based donut shop) had an Instagram story photo based inside the ER concourse teasing that they had some news coming soon.

I think we’ll see quite a few pop ups from Leith/ Edinburgh food places at Easter Road which is exciting.

And this can be a very easy and very good way to improve the offering at easter road and promote local businesses with not a lot of change or spend. 👍

Jones28
28-05-2021, 08:06 AM
And this can be a very easy and very good way to improve the offering at easter road and promote local businesses with not a lot of change or spend. 👍

:agree: It's a great way for local businesses to showcase their products, and it offers variety for us as Hibs fans going to games.

.Sean.
28-05-2021, 08:57 AM
I think that’s maybe down to the game being a totally novelty, buses left at early o’clock in the morning some of them I’m sure full of folk on the bevvy, there was about three hours drinking time in Bolton before the game also. I’m sure that 6/7/8 hours of pre match drinking contributed to it more than a pint of lager in the concourse.

Jones28
28-05-2021, 09:01 AM
I think that’s maybe down to the game being a totally novelty, buses left at early o’clock in the morning some of them I’m sure full of folk on the bevvy, there was about three hours drinking time in Bolton before the game also. I’m sure that 6/7/8 hours of pre match drinking contributed to it more than a pint of lager in the concourse.

What happened like? That trip has gone down in Hibs folklore as legendary.

Since90+2
28-05-2021, 09:05 AM

There was basically no security or police outside the ground (or if there was there was very little).

The whole second half involved both sections of supports taunting each other at a corner which was about the same distance apart as Tynecastle.

There was no segregation after the game really so as the gates opened you can imagine what happened. From my slightly drunken memory it was Hibs fans who were the aggressors at that point.

Andy74
28-05-2021, 09:22 AM
There was basically no security or police outside the ground (or if there was there was very little).

The whole second half involved both sections of supports taunting each other at a corner which was about the same distance apart as Tynecastle.

There was no segregation after the game really so as the gates opened you can imagine what happened. From my slightly drunken memory it was Hibs fans who were the aggressors at that point.

So nothing at all to do with drink being sold at the ground.

Sir David Gray
28-05-2021, 09:24 AM

I'm pretty certain I remember hearing that the owners of the local pub, the Bee Hive, said afterwards that they made more from Hibs fans that day than they had made from Manchester Utd fans earlier that season.

I was there that day, it was a brilliant trip.

Mon Dieu4
28-05-2021, 09:30 AM
Since the trouble at that game took place mostly pre match on Bolton High Street, by pissed up elderly casuals who’d been drinking carry oot on the train, I don’t see the relevance to the debate about drinking in grounds.

I was at that game and was sat in a pub full of Bolton casuals before the game, I could hear everything they were talking about as I was about two feet away from them, was always going to kick off that day

Our fans rep KP can attest to it as well since he was with me

Since90+2
28-05-2021, 09:33 AM
So nothing at all to do with drink being sold at the ground.

It wasn't the main reason but it certainly didn't help. You had groups of lads downing 2 pints in 15 minutes at half time, so it probably didn't help in calming the atmosphere put it that way.

That game was nothing like a run of the mill home Hibs game though so I don't think it has any relevance to bringing alcohol back inside Scottish stadiums.

hibsbollah
28-05-2021, 04:17 PM
I was at that game and was sat in a pub full of Bolton casuals before the game, I could hear everything they were talking about as I was about two feet away from them, was always going to kick off that day

Our fans rep KP can attest to it as well since he was with me

I remember hearing a few stories, shop windows getting panned in in the city centre and local families running away getting upset.
Not exactly the 1980s Glory Days. But i wasnt there (or i wouldve seen you!) so i'll defer to those who were.

Hermit Crab
28-05-2021, 09:22 PM

You're joking right? You must have completely missed the Hibs fans charging into the Bolton end at full time and the police on horses charging about the place with batons drawn

Hermit Crab
28-05-2021, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty certain I remember hearing that the owners of the local pub, the Bee Hive, said afterwards that they made more from Hibs fans that day than they had made from Manchester Utd fans earlier that season.

I was there that day, it was a brilliant trip.

You getting mixed up with Carlisle? Thats the pub opposite Brunton Park is it not?

Moulin Yarns
28-05-2021, 09:27 PM

I'm all for it. I fancy a bit of scran from Tom Kitchin or Matthew Wishart at half time. 👍😁

Mon Dieu4
28-05-2021, 09:31 PM
I remember hearing a few stories, shop windows getting panned in in the city centre and local families running away getting upset.
Not exactly the 1980s Glory Days. But i wasnt there (or i wouldve seen you!) so i'll defer to those who were.

It was one of those days that I seem to get myself into mental situations :greengrin

We had bought the wee one a bubble gun to keep her amused, we find a quiet pub with a beer garden and within 10 minutes there are wall to wall Bolton casuals everywhere talking about what they are going to do to Hibs fans

The wee one was running about shooting them with the bubble gun as I desperately tried not to get my heid smashed in, I needn't have bothered as they were all good as gold with her and us, one even went to the local bakery and bought her a huge box filled with cakes and put "lots of love Rangers" on it

All 100% true :faf:

Sir David Gray
28-05-2021, 09:51 PM
You getting mixed up with Carlisle? Thats the pub opposite Brunton Park is it not?

No it was definitely at Bolton.

https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pubs/lancashire/bee-hive/?utm_source=g_places&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=places&utm_content=

WestCoastHibby
28-05-2021, 10:20 PM
I'm not against it in principle but as someone who lives out in the sticks I'm driving anyway so I'll never be partaking.
You see folk half cut going into the stadium every match, so if someone is daft enough to pay "Edinburgh plus "n" prices just crack on.
Personally I think if you can't go 90mins without a bevvy you have a problem

Since90+2
29-05-2021, 05:08 AM
I'm not against it in principle but as someone who lives out in the sticks I'm driving anyway so I'll never be partaking.
You see folk half cut going into the stadium every match, so if someone is daft enough to pay "Edinburgh plus "n" prices just crack on.

I'd probably give it a swerve most of the time due to quality and price but your last line is just a lazy argument that gets thrown about.

Anyone who literally can't go 90 minutes without alcohol is clearly hugely alcohol dependent and needs health care assistance. I would imagine that doesn't apply to 99% of the support.

That doesn't mean responsible adults who would like the option to have a pint at the game at half time should be deprived of that. It doesn't mean they are incapable of going without alcohol as you are suggesting otherwise they'd not currently be attending matches due to the restrictions and would be sitting in a pub.

Bridge hibs
29-05-2021, 05:34 AM
Personally I think if you can't go 90mins without a bevvy you have a problemI think that last line is a bit off to be honest, I can go weeks or months without a drink as its not a big part of my life., however perhaps on a nice day it would be nice to have a pint in the concourse pre match perhaps as a catch up with a mate, as I do normally with coffee or a pie. Ron Gordon has a vision for the club and attempting to improve the pre match day experience for fans attending, get the fans in earlier and get the fans putting money into the clubs coffers. No-one is forcing anyone to drink, get bladdered or act like *****. Its giving folk a choice though, some may prefer to drink in local boozers, or some may prefer to get down early, have a beer and suck up the pre match atmosphere. Like I say, Im not overly fussed but as a businessman I can see what Ron Gordon is trying to do

Crunchie
29-05-2021, 05:34 AM
I'd probably give it a swerve most of the time due to quality and price but your last line is just a lazy argument that gets thrown about.

Anyone who literally can't go 90 minutes without alcohol is clearly hugely alcohol dependent and needs health care assistance. I would imagine that doesn't apply to 99% of the support.

That doesn't mean responsible adults who would like the option to have a pint at the game at half time should be deprived of that. It doesn't mean they are incapable of going without alcohol as you are suggesting otherwise they'd not currently be attending matches due to the restrictions and would be sitting in a pub.
The whole idea is a bogey anyway, the police are never going to give their approval (and who can blame them) and I think it's highly unlikely the govt will go against their wishes.

Crunchie
29-05-2021, 05:48 AM
Reading that post I assumed you knew the facts of the day in question, it turns out you weren't even at the game? :faf:

7Hero
29-05-2021, 07:01 AM
There isn't a hope in hell it happening, if you consider the Scottish governments anti alcohol stance which can be seen during covid with the restrictions posed on hospitality businesses, they will never agree to this.

Phil MaGlass
29-05-2021, 08:01 AM
Alcohol in stadiums resumed a few years ago in Holland, my club had one of the worst hooligan elements in Dutch fitba. They serve a slightly weaker beer used to be 5.5% its now somethin like 3.5/4%. Please dont quote me on % but I am sure you get my drift.For high risk games they will use 0.0% or somewhere in region of 2%. Theres a massive selection of alcohol free beer and some of it especially the Radler tastes great.There has been no rise in violence. Most folk have a few beers in the clubhuis directly outside the stadium before and after coming in. Its a great set up, even when the opposing team leaves directly past the clubhuis there has never been attacks on the buses, that includes Ajax and Feyenoord. At any given time ther could be roughly 3-500 hooligansor ex hooligans and fans there.
Fans can also bring alcohol to their seats or standing area, our standing area is regularly full of beer. Oh beer showers when goals are scored against big clubs is a regular occurrence. Bit of a waste as its 4.5€ a pint. You cant bring alcohol from outside, every fan is physically searched when they come in.

uwxm07
29-05-2021, 08:15 AM

Clearly you go to a better class of wedding than some !

Jones28
29-05-2021, 09:36 AM

The last line isn’t the point of the debate. It’s about getting more money spent at Easter Road, not about indulging those who want to get pissed up at the football.

People who want to get drunk will do it, wouldn’t it be better if their money was spent at the ground?

lord bunberry
29-05-2021, 10:39 AM
There isn't a hope in hell it happening, if you consider the Scottish governments anti alcohol stance which can be seen during covid with the restrictions posed on hospitality businesses, they will never agree to this.
I don’t think the decision is made by the government, it’s the council that gives out the licenses for alcohol sales. They wouldn’t be refusing the license on an anti alcohol grounds as they already allow alcohol sales every week at the rugby.

marinello59
29-05-2021, 11:19 AM
I don’t think the decision is made by the government, it’s the council that gives out the licenses for alcohol sales. They wouldn’t be refusing the license on an anti alcohol grounds as they already allow alcohol sales every week at the rugby.

The Scottish Government would have to change the law which prevents alcohol being sold at football grounds before the councils could consider granting a licence. Our sport is specifically targeted by the Act.

lord bunberry
29-05-2021, 12:20 PM
The Scottish Government would have to change the law which prevents alcohol being sold at football grounds before the councils could consider granting a licence. Our sport is specifically targeted by the Act.
But alcohol is already on sale at football grounds. Is what they’re doing now exploiting some kind of loophole?

marinello59
29-05-2021, 12:21 PM
But alcohol is already on sale at football grounds. Is what they’re doing now exploiting some kind of loophole?

Is only on sale in Hospitality areas isn’t it? They are well defined and excluded from the act

Bishop Hibee
29-05-2021, 12:22 PM
Nanny state stuff that football fans can’t be trusted to enjoy a pint in the concourse before a game or at half time. If there’s a concern serve non-alcoholic beer for the visits of the OF and Hertz. I genuinely can’t see the harm in it and it’s be a great way to increase match day revenue. Better food and drink facilities all round are way overdue as has been discussed on many a thread previously.

Moulin Yarns
29-05-2021, 12:29 PM
I see a lot of comments on the inflated prices expected. But if you have a comparison with rugby clubs where you can, or used to, have a pint about half the price in a pub would it be possible that as a 'member' you can pay less at the football than in the pub.

Iain G
29-05-2021, 04:22 PM

Surely, now that we are owned by an American, we have a soccer ground! Is that still a no go 😁

Billy Whizz
29-05-2021, 04:28 PM
Surely, now that we are owned by an American, we have a soccer ground! Is that still a no go 😁

Ron isn’t American

Iain G
29-05-2021, 04:45 PM
Ron isn’t American

South American!

Silversand
29-05-2021, 05:16 PM
Now we know who to blame for ET: The Extra Terrestrial (1982)

(Geek joke, no offence intended)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210529/1ccaea7a7e541fcf73a3d5fa910af5b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Juniper Greens
30-05-2021, 08:22 AM
I see a lot of comments on the inflated prices expected. But if you have a comparison with rugby clubs where you can, or used to, have a pint about half the price in a pub would it be possible that as a 'member' you can pay less at the football than in the pub.

It's £6 for a bottle of tennets at the rugby.
It's a rip off, but I choose to have it there and would do at the football too.

Juniper Greens
30-05-2021, 08:24 AM
We should get our act together on a fan zone that's open before games, maybe behind the east.
At benfica, it encourages you to the ground early, have a couple of beers around some standing tables. Usually a live band, a big screen, a few food trucks, which all pay a rental charge to the club. Also means you can keep an eye on the turnstiles.

Moulin Yarns
30-05-2021, 08:34 AM

What about local rugby clubs like gala, Hawick or my old club Broughton. They are what I was referring to.

Since90+2
30-05-2021, 08:47 AM
We should get our act together on a fan zone that's open before games, maybe behind the east.
At benfica, it encourages you to the ground early, have a couple of beers around some standing tables. Usually a live band, a big screen, a few food trucks, which all pay a rental charge to the club. Also means you can keep an eye on the turnstiles.

I think the size behind the East is sometimes overstated. I don't think there would be space for what you're describing for anymore than a couple of hundred people at most.

Bridge hibs
30-05-2021, 08:50 AM
At benfica, it encourages you to the ground early, have a couple of beers around some standing tables. Usually a live band, a big screen, a few food trucks, which all pay a rental charge to the club. Also means you can keep an eye on the turnstiles.Isn't that what Ron Gordon is proposing, Using the space in the concourses ?

Bridge hibs
30-05-2021, 08:52 AM
I think the size behind the East is sometimes overstated. I don't think there would be space for what you're describing for anymore than a couple of hundred people at most.We still have that void corner at the East stand, wonder if Ron has plans for that

Iain G
30-05-2021, 08:57 AM

Would hope we could manage a better beer...

Juniper Greens
30-05-2021, 09:04 AM
I think the size behind the East is sometimes overstated. I don't think there would be space for what you're describing for anymore than a couple of hundred people at most.

It gets a lot wider at the South end. Could se up something pretty good there, with the food trucks all down the side on the way in. Unfortunately the way to make this work well is to limit choice. 2 beers on tap, wine and soft drinks. Serve quickly, keep the queues down

CMurdoch
30-05-2021, 09:26 AM
Nanny state stuff that football fans can’t be trusted to enjoy a pint in the concourse before a game or at half time. If there’s a concern serve non-alcoholic beer for the visits of the OF and Hertz. I genuinely can’t see the harm in it and it’s be a great way to increase match day revenue. Better food and drink facilities all round are way overdue as has been discussed on many a thread previously.

Not trusted with alcohol in the concourse you say
We are not even trusted with hot water in the toilets :rolleyes:

Let's try better food and hot drinks with hot water in the toilets before we try drinking alcohol in the near freezing conditions of the concourse.
Perhaps they could allow the smokers to vape in the concourse at half time rather than the current arrangement of throwing the concourse doors open to let them smoke outside and further freezing the rest of us inside.

Those freezing inside include 70 and 80 year olds. These folk need to be better catered for. Perhaps more older folk would attend if they didn't have to be in almost freezing conditions for 2 hours. That could be as simple as providing an area where they could heat up at half time.

Ron can't know what the match experience is like for supporters when he will spend no more than 50 minutes in the cold before firing back into the heated directors area for a wee malt and a prawn sandwich. No crapping in the cold or washing hands in cold water for him.

Alcohol is only pushed by clubs because it is a revenue generator where as something as basic and civilised as hot water in the toilets is not even mentioned. Supporters are cash cows to be milked hard.

Do the folks in the west benefit from hot water, being as they are next to hospitality, directors area etc.?

Alcohol can be the cherry on the cake once the cake is sorted but lots of other more things to sort out on the supporter experience front first.

Since90+2
30-05-2021, 10:07 AM
Not trusted with alcohol in the concourse you say
We are not even trusted with hot water in the toilets :rolleyes:

Let's try better food and hot drinks with hot water in the toilets before we try drinking alcohol in the near freezing conditions of the concourse.
Perhaps they could allow the smokers to vape in the concourse at half time rather than the current arrangement of throwing the concourse doors open to let them smoke outside and further freezing the rest of us inside.

Ron can't know what the match experience is like for supporters when he will spend no more than 50 minutes in the cold before firing back into the heated directors area for a wee malt and a prawn sandwich. No crapping in the cold or washing hands in cold water for him.

Alcohol is only pushed by clubs because it is a revenue generator where as something as basic and civilised as hot water in the toilets is not even mentioned. Supporters are cash cows to be milked as hard as possible.

P..S. do the folks in the west benefit from hot water being as they are next to hospitality, directors area etc.?

It's no that cold man. We don't live in Siberia.

Andy74
30-05-2021, 10:39 AM
It's no that cold man. We don't live in Siberia.

Exactly. The concourses are heaving just now and we all just about survive.

I think most of us can handle washing our hands in cold water for 30 seconds every couple of weeks too.

Caversham Green
30-05-2021, 10:56 AM

Reading FC did a fan zone like that in partnership with a local caterer - Blue Collar Street Food (https://www.bluecollarstreetfood.co.uk/) - they set up stalls selling ethnic foods (including a Peruvian one that was fantastic) as well as burgers and hot dogs and a couple of beer trucks from local breweries. Big screen but no bands. It was actually the only reason I was considering renewing my season ticket before Covid struck.

WestCoastHibby
30-05-2021, 12:33 PM

I think most of us can handle washing our hands in cold water for 30 seconds every couple of weeks too.

We probably can but we shouldn't have to. And my dad in his 80s doesn't go anymore as it's just too cold for him .
Hibs loss is Sky/BTs gain

Jones28
30-05-2021, 12:43 PM
We probably can but we shouldn't have to. And my dad in his 80s doesn't go anymore as it's just too cold for him .
Hibs loss is Sky/BTs gain

It would cost the club thousands of pounds to put hot water in the toilets. I’m sorry your dad can’t go to games anymore but 10 seconds of warm water isn’t going to stop him being cold.

The Modfather
30-05-2021, 01:15 PM
It would cost the club thousands of pounds to put hot water in the toilets. I’m sorry your dad can’t go to games anymore but 10 seconds of warm water isn’t going to stop him being cold.

It’s not the end of the world, but for the money we put in every year something like the provision of hot water should be a given IMO.

neil7908
30-05-2021, 01:45 PM

There's lots of things we could survive. I could survive a 30% cut in my pay - doesn't mean its a good thing though.

I think the point stands - if Ron is keen to look at the match day experience there are plenty other things to improve. I know many will feel differently but personally I'd prefer hot water in the bathrooms over alcohol.

Peevemor
30-05-2021, 01:51 PM
There's lots of things we could survive. I could survive a 30% cut in my pay - doesn't mean its a good thing though.

I think the point stands - if Ron is keen to look at the match day experience there are plenty other things to improve. I know many will feel differently but personally I'd prefer hot water in the bathrooms over alcohol.That's the thing though. They're toilets, not bathrooms.

Cold water is every bit as effective for washing your hands as hot water.

So what's the difference - having cold hands for a few seconds?

neil7908
30-05-2021, 02:11 PM
That's the thing though. They're toilets, not bathrooms.

Cold water is as effective. But only if you wash the same length of time and as thoroughly. Lots of football fans won't do that regardless of the water temperature of course but it's very hard to wash your hands for 20 seconds in cold water in the middle of winter, and that will stop some doing it. Given we're still in the midst of a pandemic, where hygiene and hand washing has been emphasised repeatedly, it takes on more of an importance.

Is it the biggest issue facing the club? Of course not. But it seems a fairly simple way to improve comfort and hygiene/safety for fans when we get back to games.

As I said, I appreciate others feel differently but as a paying punter it's more important for me than drinking at games.

Rumble de Thump
30-05-2021, 02:40 PM
Cold water is as effective. But only if you wash the same length of time and as thoroughly. Lots of football fans won't do that regardless of the water temperature of course but it's very hard to wash your hands for 20 seconds in cold water in the middle of winter, and that will stop some doing it. Given we're still in the midst of a pandemic, where hygiene and hand washing has been emphasised repeatedly, it takes on more of an importance.

Is it the biggest issue facing the club? Of course not. But it seems a fairly simple way to improve comfort and hygiene/safety for fans when we get back to games.

As I said, I appreciate others feel differently but as a paying punter it's more important for me than drinking at games.

Your hands are going to be in the water for the same amount of time regardless of the temperature (briefly wetting and rinsing). The scrubbing of the hands doesn't take place in water and would warm hands up anyway.

Andy74
30-05-2021, 02:43 PM

I think the point stands - if Ron is keen to look at the match day experience there are plenty other things to improve. I know many will feel differently but personally I'd prefer hot water in the bathrooms over alcohol.

One is a potential revenue stream, the other would be a total waste of money though. 30 seconds of hand washing in cold water isn’t a huge hardship.

Betty Boop
30-05-2021, 05:02 PM
Jeezo we cannae have hot water in the toilets ? It's no the dark ages.

Iain G
30-05-2021, 06:46 PM
That's the thing though. They're toilets, not bathrooms.

Yet the advice during a pandemic is to wash hands with hot water...?

Peevemor
30-05-2021, 06:51 PM
Yet the advice during a pandemic is to wash hands with hot water...?

5. Do I need to use warm water to wash my hands?
No, you can use any temperature of water to wash your hands. Cold water and warm water are equally effective at killing germs and viruses – as long as you use soap!

https://www.unicef.org/coronavirus/everything-you-need-know-about-washing-your-hands-protect-against-coronavirus-covid-19#:~:text=Do%20I%20need%20to%20use,long%20as%20yo u%20use%20soap!

Lancs Harp
30-05-2021, 06:55 PM
Covid or not is it not unreasonable in 2021 to have hot water in the toilet area? Just a very small thing to improve the fan experience.

Billy Whizz
30-05-2021, 06:56 PM
5. Do I need to use warm water to wash my hands?
No, you can use any temperature of water to wash your hands. Cold water and warm water are equally effective at killing germs and viruses – as long as you use soap!

https://www.unicef.org/coronavirus/everything-you-need-know-about-washing-your-hands-protect-against-coronavirus-covid-19#:~:text=Do%20I%20need%20to%20use,long%20as%20yo u%20use%20soap!

Your right, but surely a bit of warm water on a cold winters day, is not too much to ask for at ER
Half of our season is played in the colder months

Peevemor
30-05-2021, 07:04 PM
You’re right, but surely a bit of warm water on a cold winters day, is not too much to ask for at ER
Half of our season is played in the colder months

Yet people are wanting to drink beers outside?

The fact there isn't hot water is obviously a money thing - both original installation & repair/maintenance costs.

I honestly don't care either way whether there's hot water in the bogs when I go to a match, and therefore it's not something I'll complain about.

Each to their own though.

The Modfather
30-05-2021, 07:17 PM
Yet people are wanting to drink beers outside?

The fact there isn't hot water is obviously a money thing - both original installation & repair/maintenance costs.

I honestly don't care either way whether there's hot water in the bogs when I go to a match, and therefore it's not something I'll complain about.

Each to their own though.

It’s not either or. Either folk want to drink beers outside or they want hot water in the toilets. It’s not something I feel particularly strongly about, but do think it’s not an unreasonable want in 2021. Should probably have been introduced long before now IMO.

Billy Whizz
30-05-2021, 07:23 PM
It’s not either or. Either folk want to drink beers outside or they want hot water in the toilets. It’s not something I feel particularly strongly about, but do think it’s not an unreasonable want in 2021. Should probably have been introduced long before now IMO.

Is there hot water in the other stands?
Been ages since I’ve been in the South/North/West

Peevemor
30-05-2021, 07:23 PM
It’s not either or. Either folk want to drink beers outside or they want hot water in the toilets. It’s not something I feel particularly strongly about, but do think it’s not an unreasonable want in 2021. Should probably have been introduced long before now IMO.I'm not disagreeing. I just find it funny that whether the cold is an issue depends on the argument.

O'Rourke3
30-05-2021, 07:30 PM
Is there hot water in the other stands?
Been ages since I’ve been in the South/North/WestNot in the west anyway.

Hot water now would require a lot more plumbing. Was surprised to find hot water at Tynie. Issue was our supporters stuck the taps so they were running constantly. Interestingly, no hot in The Bernabau

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
30-05-2021, 07:43 PM
Not in the west anyway.

Hot water now would require a lot more plumbing. Was surprised to find hot water at Tynie. Issue was our supporters stuck the taps so they were running constantly. Interestingly, no hot in The Bernabau

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Cant remember the last ground I was at in England that didnt have hot water and Im talking lower league stuff. If its not an issue for you then fine, lets face it most blokes dont wash their hands anyway. Ron has an American Sports background I bet every venue in the States has hot water. ...... Chips on the food outlets for me :greengrin or let the big boys like KFC, Mac/burgerking etc have concessions. Bascially the under stand experience needs improving dramatically. Its 2021.

Billy Whizz
30-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Cant remember the last ground I was at in England that didnt have hot water and Im talking lower league stuff. If its not an issue for you then fine, lets face it most blokes dont wash their hands anyway. Ron has an American Sports background I bet every venue in the States has hot water. ...... Chips on the food outlets for me :greengrin or let the big boys like KFC, Mac/burgerking etc have concessions. Bascially the under stand experience needs improving dramatically. Its 2021.
And that what’s RG needs to understand, it’s not a day out in our ground
Our climate doesn’t allow us to do that

Lancs Harp
30-05-2021, 07:51 PM
Obviously in the days of proper football toilet faciities were a rolled newspaper :wink:

ancient hibee
30-05-2021, 08:28 PM
I can report there was no hot water at the top of the main terrace.

lord bunberry
30-05-2021, 08:40 PM
It allows it if people want to do it. Selling alcohol in the East and West stands would be popular, it wouldn’t be on sale in the family section for obvious reasons. Alcohol is on sale throughout England and in Scotland in other sports, the demand is there no matter what the weather is like. Personally speaking I’d mostly give it a miss, but it would be nice to have the choice.

hibee-boys
30-05-2021, 09:04 PM
Cold water.....hot water.....deary me.....just install hand sanitizers Hibs and remove the sinks, that’ll solve the debate🙄

The dalmeny
30-05-2021, 09:17 PM
Who’s everyone kidding that folk wash their hands when they go for a pee

hibee-boys
30-05-2021, 09:37 PM
Changed days, there wasn’t much hand washing going on in the old east ‘toilets’ it was as quick as you could get in/out whilst holing your breath in the fear of being overcome by the toxic urine smell🙈😂

Eyrie
30-05-2021, 09:51 PM

He's spent enough time in America that he wouldn't understand why it can't be a day out. NFL fans tailgate in December in places like Green Bay.

Iain G
30-05-2021, 10:05 PM
He's spent enough time in America that he wouldn't understand why it can't be a day out. NFL fans tailgate in December in places like Green Bay.

I heard a rumour that the stadium was to be renamed as the Holyrood Bowl and they would be serving grits and s'mores at halftime with root beer (cold only as they cant afford to heat it).

Oh and there will be a Peruvian pan pipe version of Sunshine on Leith recorded to be played just before kick off.

neil7908
31-05-2021, 07:49 AM
I heard a rumour that the stadium was to be renamed as the Holyrood Bowl and they would be serving grits and s'mores at halftime with root beer (cold only as they cant afford to heat it).

Oh and there will be a Peruvian pan pipe version of Sunshine on Leith recorded to be played just before kick off.

I actually think that would be amazing! Maybe just for one game though.

neil7908
31-05-2021, 07:52 AM
One is a potential revenue stream, the other would be a total waste of money though. 30 seconds of hand washing in cold water isn’t a huge hardship.

I don't think anyone is saying it's a huge hardship are they? It's something me, and judging by other posts on this thread, not just me, think is a fairly reasonable ask. The fact alcohol is a revenue stream is not really a factor in my personal enjoyment of match day as I won't bother. Like I said, others feel differently but I don't think I'm alone.

Hibbyradge
31-05-2021, 08:23 AM

That's weird.

Hot water tastes funny. And why in the bathrooms? :crazy:

Iain G
31-05-2021, 09:01 AM
That's weird.

Hot water tastes funny. And why in the bathrooms? :crazy:

It's so people can make their own coffee and tea

greenginger
31-05-2021, 09:13 AM

That toilet didn’t even have a roof ! :greengrin

CMurdoch
31-05-2021, 09:16 AM

But hot piss did often pass by your feet direct from patrons further up the terrace.

heretoday
31-05-2021, 10:13 AM
I think we can go a couple of hours without any drink can't we?

Dan Sarf
31-05-2021, 10:18 AM

Yes, definitely. Definitely. Yes.

Hibbyradge
31-05-2021, 11:18 AM

We can go a couple of hours without a pie and Bovril too.

But that's not the point.

Stuart93
31-05-2021, 12:11 PM

We can but that’s not really the point

RG wants to introduce alcohol back in the stadiums as a means of increasing revenue. To create a match day experience where you’re in the stadium for more than just the 90mins to watch the game.

It’s no even the fans that are pushing this/desperate to have a drink at the game. It’s our owner. So I’m not really understanding your post.

My argument for it is how it’s allowed a couple hours down the road yet still banned up here.

allezsauzee
31-05-2021, 04:12 PM
I think it would make sense to allow alcohol sales in the ground up until kick off and maybe during half time. It would help encourage people to get into the ground in a timely manner. I doubt it's going to lead to any sort of deterioration in fan behavior as people drinking in the ground would almost certainly be downing the pre match pints in the pub anyway.

Scouse Hibee
31-05-2021, 04:20 PM
We can but that’s not really the point

RG wants to introduce alcohol back in the stadiums as a means of increasing revenue. To create a match day experience where you’re in the stadium for more than just the 90mins to watch the game.

It’s no even the fans that are pushing this/desperate to have a drink at the game. It’s our owner. So I’m not really understanding your post.

My argument for it is how it’s allowed a couple hours down the road yet still banned up here.

The answer is simple, the Scottish drink culture and far more problems associated with alcohol in Scotland than England. One of the things they pointed out on a recent licensing course I attended,

Eyrie
31-05-2021, 06:13 PM
I'm relaxed about selling alcohol in the ground before the game, although it's not something that would interest me.

But I'd be against selling it at half time. There would be fans wanting out before the 40th minute to beat the queue, and then you'd have people wandering back ten minutes into the second half. You get the occasional one like that just now (whether it's for a pie or the loo) but with alcohol there would be far more of them.

Rumble de Thump
31-05-2021, 06:48 PM
The answer is simple, the Scottish drink culture and far more problems associated with alcohol in Scotland than England. One of the things they pointed out on a recent licensing course I attended,

Having lived in both Scotland and England I can't say I've ever noticed a difference. If anything, I'd say it is worst in London with plenty of people out getting wasted every day of the week.

31-05-2021, 07:40 PM
I think we should be allowed to do it on a trial basis for a season. Rangers and Celtic are getting to try out their colts team thing for a season so they've got that. The rest of us can try out the alcohol in stadium and exclude Rangers and Celtic. Rangers fans have certainly proved they can't be trusted.

Silversand
31-05-2021, 09:47 PM
Anyone that can't go 2 hours without hot water needs help. Scotlands dark secret.

JimBHibees
01-06-2021, 06:00 AM
Think it is a great idea to raise revenue and should be allowed on an initial trial basis and maybe not the Derby and OF games to start with. What is clear football in this country is hamstrung to an extent and personally think football especially in Edinburgh gets very little from some of the huge corporate organisations in the city. When you see the enormous sponsorship of Murrayfield and rugby it is pretty shocking that two decent sized football teams don't appear to enjoy similar patronage. Aberdeen have benefitted from that city's relationship with oil and gas yet Edinburgh with its world renowned financial don't appear to have ever thrown the scraps off the table to its football teams. Sounds like the old boys network don't like football much. Personally think it is terrible that this is the case.

Danderhall Hibs
01-06-2021, 07:16 AM
Think it is a great idea to raise revenue and should be allowed on an initial trial basis and maybe not the Derby and OF games to start with. What is clear football in this country is hamstrung to an extent and personally think football especially in Edinburgh gets very little from some of the huge corporate organisations in the city. When you see the enormous sponsorship of Murrayfield and rugby it is pretty shocking that two decent sized football teams don't appear to enjoy similar patronage. Aberdeen have benefitted from that city's relationship with oil and gas yet Edinburgh with its world renowned financial don't appear to have ever thrown the scraps off the table to its football teams. Sounds like the old boys network don't like football much. Personally think it is terrible that this is the case.

Hearts have the philanthropist who made his money in financial services chucking millions at them.

neil7908
01-06-2021, 09:17 AM
Anyone that can't go 2 hours without hot water needs help. Scotlands dark secret.

😂😂😂😂

JeMeSouviens
01-06-2021, 09:36 AM

Lolz. :top marks

Viva_Palmeiras
01-06-2021, 10:31 AM
In my experience financial services does have more than its fair share of Jambos. And probably one of the attractions of Romanov in currying favour to move and shake and try to get a banking licence. Even better to have them by the short and curlies as he went on his ego trip.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-06-2021, 10:47 AM
Surely there’s gotta be a smarter way of paying for and collecting orders. Like MacDonalds

Iain G
01-06-2021, 05:35 PM
Surely there’s gotta be a smarter way of paying for and collecting orders. Like MacDonalds

The whole thing needs dragged into the 21st century!

Andy74
01-06-2021, 05:44 PM
The whole thing needs dragged into the 21st century!

Haven’t we already partnered with someone to make the whole thing cashless at least? That’s a start.

neil7908
02-06-2021, 07:44 AM
Haven’t we already partnered with someone to make the whole thing cashless at least? That’s a start.

Hadn't seen that. If so that's definitely a step in the right direction.

Steve20
02-06-2021, 07:48 AM
Drinking during the game at the stadium is not something I'd do, as there's plenty of places before and after the match to get a drink. But if it brings in extra money, then fair enough.

Moulin Yarns
02-06-2021, 07:55 AM
I imagine, if it gets the go ahead, there will be restrictions. Here's a way it might work..

Turnstiles open 3 hours before kick off, bar opens at the same time.
Big screens showing classic matches (cup final on a loop :greengrin) and pre match build up provided by Hibs TV, voxpop etc
Bar stops serving 30 minutes before kick off
Bar is not open at half time
Bar opens 15 minutes after full time
Big screens show post match interviews, analysis etc
Bar closes 2 hours after full time

What I think this would do is encourage some people into the ground early and delay their leaving which will ease congestion around Easter Road.
Would 6,000 people all want to be in the east stand concourse? is there even room? Maybe there needs to be a redesign, single storey extensio nat the back with the turnstiles facing towards St Clair Street.

I'm sure there would be problems with the above, but is it worth discussion?

EDIT: I should add, no drinks at seats! (reason not to open the bar at half time)

bod
02-06-2021, 08:18 AM
Tv’s showing the live game that’s on SKY or BT before a 3pm KO .
Bar open at 1/2 time ,why wouldn’t Ron want to maximise sales ?
Bar open after the whistles blown for an hour or so ,folk won’t hang around for 15 minutes when they could be in a pub by that time

ahibby
02-06-2021, 10:45 AM
I know some who would make use of it but I wouldn't generally use it but never say never. I really enjoyed the behind the goals fair during the Carlsberg/McLeish period, that atmosphere was sizzling.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-06-2021, 01:42 PM
I know some who would make use of it but I wouldn't generally use it but never say never. I really enjoyed the behind the goals fair during the Carlsberg/McLeish period, that atmosphere was sizzling.

out of interest what was it that made that era unique/stand out? Time in life (B.C. -before Children? All mates able to attend together ) ; the football? ; the newness ; the atmosphere/anticipation of an exciting team?

Hibs should learn more about this and understand how the dynamic changes over time and how where possible to change with it. Why not a crèche (for blokes whilst the missus goes shopping/IKEA) ;)

ahibby
02-06-2021, 02:51 PM
out of interest what was it that made that era unique/stand out? Time in life (B.C. -before Children? All mates able to attend together ) ; the football? ; the newness ; the atmosphere/anticipation of an exciting team?

Hibs should learn more about this and understand how the dynamic changes over time and how where possible to change with it. Why not a crèche (for blokes whilst the missus goes shopping/IKEA) ;)

You hit the nail on the head, it was like a creche for blokes. I remember both lounges all four ends jam packed and so busy that an extra temporary bar, a square one I think, was erected in the middle of one of the floors. Jugs of Carlsberg. I liked the business of it therefore the buzz, and we had a good side, Sauzee, Latapy, Zitelli, Laursen et al. Funny you should mentionion IKEA, because that's who we played in Europe and drew over 180 minutes, they played a flat pack four, remember those puns?

.Sean.
02-06-2021, 05:19 PM
I imagine, if it gets the go ahead, there will be restrictions. Here's a way it might work..

Turnstiles open 3 hours before kick off, bar opens at the same time.
Big screens showing classic matches (cup final on a loop :greengrin) and pre match build up provided by Hibs TV, voxpop etc
Bar stops serving 30 minutes before kick off
Bar is not open at half time
Bar opens 15 minutes after full time
Big screens show post match interviews, analysis etc
Bar closes 2 hours after full time

What I think this would do is encourage some people into the ground early and delay their leaving which will ease congestion around Easter Road.
Would 6,000 people all want to be in the east stand concourse? is there even room? Maybe there needs to be a redesign, single storey extensio nat the back with the turnstiles facing towards St Clair Street.

I'm sure there would be problems with the above, but is it worth discussion?

EDIT: I should add, no drinks at seats! (reason not to open the bar at half time)
I always thought they should have kept the turnstiles at the st Clair street end as a nod to the old East but understand why they had to move.

I wonder if the steel in the East would ever allow for a bar above the actual concourse bit? It would also improve a dark and gloomy shell of a concourse no end.

Max_Shah
02-06-2021, 05:57 PM
We can go a couple of hours without a pie and Bovril too.

But that's not the point.

True.

No fun allowed.

[IMG]24783

Viva_Palmeiras
02-06-2021, 06:06 PM
Terrible idea.

We CANNOT be trusted.

Please provide empirical data that shows otherwise.

“Empirical data is information acquired by scientists through experimentation and observation, and it is essential to the scientific process. Use of the scientific method involves making an observation, developing an idea, testing the idea, getting results, and making a conclusion.”

This pilot would be the study to develop & test the idea experiment, observe provide the data.

Inadequate policing would have been more of a factor than drink in 2016 cup final. And even with drink being a factor I’d point anecdotally to Leith Links the following day.

Put it another way - show me the causal link which shows when it comes to alcohol that the Hibs support cannot be trusted and it all ends Pete Tong. I’d be very surprised if such empirical data has been gathered and studied.

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2021, 06:31 PM
Terrible idea.

We CANNOT be trusted.

Please provide empirical data that shows otherwise.

Presumably, you have empirical data to support your assertion?

Forza Fred
03-06-2021, 06:52 AM
It would be considered ‘UnAustralian’ if you couldn’t get a beer at the football matches where I am. 😂

matty_f
03-06-2021, 09:16 AM
“Empirical data is information acquired by scientists through experimentation and observation, and it is essential to the scientific process. Use of the scientific method involves making an observation, developing an idea, testing the idea, getting results, and making a conclusion.”

This pilot would be the study to develop & test the idea experiment, observe provide the data.

Inadequate policing would have been more of a factor than drink in 2016 cup final. And even with drink being a factor I’d point anecdotally to Leith Links the following day.

Put it another way - show me the causal link which shows when it comes to alcohol that the Hibs support cannot be trusted and it all ends Pete Tong. I’d be very surprised if such empirical data has been gathered and studied.

The cup final surely shows, if we’re using that as evidence, that trouble is likely where no alcohol is available in the ground, given no supporters had access to it from the moment they entered the stadium. :greengrin

Max_Shah
03-06-2021, 03:51 PM
The cup final surely shows, if we’re using that as evidence, that trouble is likely where no alcohol is available in the ground, given no supporters had access to it from the moment they entered the stadium. :greengrin

Yes.

It is literally every Scottish Government, NHS, Public Health, Edinburgh Joint Integration Board [with Hibs involvement] and Local Authority briefing report ever commissioned on the subject.

But you want a drink with your bairns.

Great.

What could go wrong.

03-06-2021, 04:24 PM

I think the 2016 cup is part of the evidence that the common factor when there is trouble is the Rangers fans and not alcohol.

Conclusion: Alcohol is fine and should be permitted at all grounds and Rangers fans barred. Rangers fans can go to Ibrox, in fact make it home fans only and they can have alcohol too and trash the place as much as they like.

CapitalGreen
03-06-2021, 04:33 PM
Yes.

It is literally every Scottish Government, NHS, Public Health, Edinburgh Joint Integration Board [with Hibs involvement] and Local Authority briefing report ever commissioned on the subject.

Great.

What could go wrong.

You can already get a drink at Easter Road pre-match at Behind the Goals, why would making it available on the concourse cause an issue? Was there any alcohol related issues when we had the temporary fan bar behind the East Stand? Presumably for high risk (category A) fixtures we could make it unavailable but if someone wants to go to a game pished, the availability of alcohol at Easter Road or not is unlikely to deter them.

Moulin Yarns
03-06-2021, 04:40 PM
You can already get a drink at Easter Road pre-match at Behind the Goals, why would making it available on the concourse cause an issue? Was there any alcohol related issues when we had the temporary fan bar behind the East Stand? Presumably for high risk (category A) fixtures we could make it unavailable but if someone wants to go to a game pished, the availability of alcohol at Easter Road or not is unlikely to deter them.

This is pretty much how I see it working, no alcohol sales within the ground while a game is on, but, as a suggestion open the ground 2 or 3 hours before kick-off with alcohol sales up to 30 minutes before kick off, including no alcohol in the seats. There needs to be some incentive, pre match entertainment, perhaps large screens showing classic games ( if you want the live Sky or BT games stay in the pub! This is about Hibs :wink:)

Billy Whizz
03-06-2021, 04:43 PM
This is pretty much how I see it working, no alcohol sales within the ground while a game is on, but, as a suggestion open the ground 2 or 3 hours before kick-off with alcohol sales up to 30 minutes before kick off, including no alcohol in the seats. There needs to be some incentive, pre match entertainment, perhaps large screens showing classic games ( if you want the live Sky or BT games stay in the pub! This is about Hibs :wink:)

Can you really see fans going into ER 2/3 hours before ko, on a cold day
Sorry I just can’t see it

Iain G
03-06-2021, 04:43 PM
Yes.

Great.

What could go wrong.

Does these all specifically say being able to have a drink at a football ground is a nasty bad thing?

It seems you can at rugby and many other countries allow it at football?

CapitalGreen
03-06-2021, 05:07 PM

If it doesn’t work then it doesn’t work but the clubs should be allowed the option if they wish. Fans in other countries and of other sports do it in similar temperatures, I’m not sure what’s so unique about Scottish football fans that they wouldn’t.

CapitalGreen
03-06-2021, 05:11 PM
Does these all specifically say being able to have a drink at a football ground is a nasty bad thing?

It seems you can at rugby and many other countries allow it at football?

Just imagine what could go wrong though. Imagine the full scale riots which could occur between the fans during a game v Ross County at home because a small number of supporters each had a £6 pint from a plastic cup on the concourse at half time.

Iain G
03-06-2021, 05:13 PM
Just imagine what could go wrong though. Imagine the full scale riots which could occur between the fans during a game v Ross County at home because a small number of supporters each had a £6 pint from a plastic cup on the concourse at half time.

It's the end of the world as we know it!

Actually am more worried about fans throwing the small slice of like from the Eden Mills g&t at the management...

Moulin Yarns
03-06-2021, 05:41 PM

Not into the ground, but into a bar area in the stands. Behind the goals in each home stand if you will.