PDA

View Full Version : If you're a parent how important is it to you that your kids become Hibs fans?

He's here!
24-05-2021, 11:18 AM
I come from a long line of Hibs supporters and when I was growing up my love of the club bordered on obsession.

My kids, however, don't actively follow the club, or indeed have any interest in football full stop. Sure, they're well aware of my feelings for Hibs but when moments like the 2016 cup win happen it's really ME they're happy for rather than the club.

I took each of them to Easter Road when they were younger but it steadily became clear it wasn't something that really grabbed them and it's been years since any of them went to a game. One of them did play football for a bit but gave it up a while back to focus on individual sports which he finds much more fulfilling.

I did wonder if I had some sort of 'duty' as a parent to keep the family tradition going, but as time has gone on I've come to believe I did the right thing in not trying force the issue. One of my earliest memories as a Hibs fan is of the tears running down my face as I listened on the radio to Arthur Duncan scoring the own goal which gave Rangers the Scottish Cup in the twice replayed 1979 final. The disappointments and letdowns since then have been many and as somebody has posted on another thread our cup final record makes you wonder if the very few highs truly compensate for the far too frequent lows. Dejected and angered as I was by Saturday's latest shocker, it actually helped to be quickly thrown back into normal Saturday evening family life and be among people for whom a football result has absolutely no impact on their frame of mind.

Sure, I've had some brilliant times supporting Hibs but on reflection much of that has had to do with the friends I've been with, the fun of European travel/pre-match drinking etc. In terms of what a club of Hibs' size has actually offered in return for the enormous financial and emotional investment I've made in them I'm just not so sure it stacks up. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that for many football fans, supporting a club can often feel like a burden that you're not sure you can keep carrying and I can honestly say that on balance I'm glad I never went out of my way to make my kids share that load.

Thoughts? Anyone else got kids who never inherited the Hibs bug - or (perish the thought) chose to support another club?

Since452
24-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Hibs are my team, my dad's team, my grandads team and are now my daughter's team. Just the way my family is. I wouldn't force it on her but I'd be gutted if she decided to support someone else.

H18 SFR
24-05-2021, 11:41 AM
Extremely important to me - in fact, it is beyond that.

I am lucky that my 19 year old boy is Hibs daft, my 5 year old daughter is Hibs daft and my 6 months old daughter will be the same I am sure. Anyone who tried to influence them to support another side, whether that be an in-law or anyone else would be taken to the side and spoken to, if they persisted on even toying with the idea of ****ing about regarding this it would be made clearer than crystal.

For the avoidance of any doubt, they will be Hibs fans.

Jones28
24-05-2021, 11:46 AM
I want my 2 to be Hibs fans.

I think I'd find it easier if they didn't support football than if they supported another team though. That must be hard.

Since90+2
24-05-2021, 11:48 AM
If she wants to then great but if not I'll be totally fine with that also.

makaveli1875
24-05-2021, 11:49 AM
My wee man's just about to turn 2 and I don't know if I want to put him through it . Especially after Saturday . His 1st final and that's the best they can do

Bristolhibby
24-05-2021, 11:51 AM
Think with my boys we are up to 4th generation Hibs fans, and I live down here in England.

It’s a family thing for me. All of us (uncles, cousins, cousins kids) are Hibs fans.

We have that link that binds us.

J

Bostonhibby
24-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Think with my boys we are up to 4th generation Hibs fans, and I live down here in England.

It’s a family thing for me. All of us (uncles, cousins, cousins kids) are Hibs fans.

We have that link that binds us.

JVery similar here, all Hibbies, only have 2 hearts fans in the large wider family down the generations and both are by marriage.

1 hun cousin whose daughter supports Hibs.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

loanheadhibby
24-05-2021, 12:00 PM
My wee man's just about to turn 2 and I don't know if I want to put him through it . Especially after Saturday . His 1st final and that's the best they can do

Come on, we cannae have chat like that.

Remember the build up last week to the game, the excitement. Remember the trips to Hampden. It's character building. It's been horrendous the last 49 years but I would not have it any other way. We've been to 7 Scottish Cup Semis in last 10 years and 4 cup finals.

Hibs forever!

H18 SFR
24-05-2021, 12:04 PM

Remember the build up last week to the game, the excitement. Remember the trips to Hampden. It's character building. It's been horrendous the last 49 years but I would not have it any other way. We've been to 7 Scottish Cup Semis in last 10 years and 4 cup finals.

Hibs forever!

Totally agree with this. The disappointment associated with a Hibs stands you in good stead across other areas of life.

nonshinyfinish
24-05-2021, 12:05 PM

Hibs forever!

And more than that, as hard as it is to see right now, it's the low points that make the highs so special.

Contrast with Celtic fans kicking off about one bad season off the back of a quadruple treble. Sure, Hibs will make you miserable at times, but when we are successful it means so much more.

Pretty Boy
24-05-2021, 12:14 PM
Hugely important to me. My family are Hibs fans stretching back generations and I want that to continue.

I've made the point at home, and I'm not joking although it gets taken that way, that I would support my children through absolutely anything. Their sexuality, gender, religion or lack thereof, education choices and so on are all their choice or just who they are. If they committed a crime, wanted to emigrate or whatever I would support them through it as best as I could, no matter how difficult I found it. I would deal with any of those things and a million more better than i would if they said they wanted to support another team, particularly Hearts or Rangers. I absolutely mean that as well.

Coco Bryce
24-05-2021, 12:16 PM
My son has totally lost interest in Hibs this season. Think he watched a couple of the Hibs TV games that we played garbage and just never bothered.

Just played with his mates on the xbox.

Coco Bryce
24-05-2021, 12:17 PM
Hugely important to me. My family are Hibs fans stretching back generations and I want that to continue.

I've made the point at home, and I'm not joking although it gets taken that way, that I would support my children through absolutely anything. Their sexuality, gender, religion or lack thereof, education choices and so on are all their choice. If they committed a crime, wanted to emigrate or whatever I would support them through it as best as I could, no matter how difficult I found it. I would deal with any of those things and a million more better than i would if they said they wanted to support another team, particularly Hearts or Rangers. I absolutely mean that as well.

Class :top marks

Since90+2
24-05-2021, 12:24 PM

I've made the point at home, and I'm not joking although it gets taken that way, that I would support my children through absolutely anything. Their sexuality, gender, religion or lack thereof, education choices and so on are all their choice or just who they are. If they committed a crime, wanted to emigrate or whatever I would support them through it as best as I could, no matter how difficult I found it. I would deal with any of those things and a million more better than i would if they said they wanted to support another team, particularly Hearts or Rangers. I absolutely mean that as well.

I'm guessing when you say commit a crime you're meaning something fairly trivial otherwise that's a bit of a strange thing to say IMO.

Sir David Gray
24-05-2021, 12:27 PM
I don't have any children but if/when I do, I'd feel like I've failed in my duties if, one day, they come home from school to say they supported anyone but Hibs.

I need to endure the pain and agony of being a Hibs fan so there's no way they're getting away with it.

CMurdoch
24-05-2021, 12:37 PM
I come from a long line of Hibs supporters and when I was growing up my love of the club bordered on obsession.

My kids, however, don't actively follow the club, or indeed have any interest in football full stop. Sure, they're well aware of my feelings for Hibs but when moments like the 2016 cup win happen it's really ME they're happy for rather than the club.

I took each of them to Easter Road when they were younger but it steadily became clear it wasn't something that really grabbed them and it's been years since any of them went to a game. One of them did play football for a bit but gave it up a while back to focus on individual sports which he finds much more fulfilling.

I did wonder if I had some sort of 'duty' as a parent to keep the family tradition going, but as time has gone on I've come to believe I did the right thing in not trying force the issue. One of my earliest memories as a Hibs fan is of the tears running down my face as I listened on the radio to Arthur Duncan scoring the own goal which gave Rangers the Scottish Cup in the twice replayed 1979 final. The disappointments and letdowns since then have been many and as somebody has posted on another thread our cup final record makes you wonder if the very few highs truly compensate for the far too frequent lows. Dejected and angered as I was by Saturday's latest shocker, it actually helped to be quickly thrown back into normal Saturday evening family life and be among people for whom a football result has absolutely no impact on their frame of mind.

Sure, I've had some brilliant times supporting Hibs but on reflection much of that has had to do with the friends I've been with, the fun of European travel/pre-match drinking etc. In terms of what a club of Hibs' size has actually offered in return for the enormous financial and emotional investment I've made in them I'm just not so sure it stacks up. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that for many football fans, supporting a club can often feel like a burden that you're not sure you can keep carrying and I can honestly say that on balance I'm glad I never went out of my way to make my kids share that load.

Thoughts? Anyone else got kids who never inherited the Hibs bug - or (perish the thought) chose to support another club?

Great Post.
My son and I sit together in the East and it's good to have something that binds us together, a common interest and passion. It also means there is time to talk especially if driving to away games. It is a valuable and importantly a natural opportunity to make sure he is happy and all is well in his life.
However, an interest cannot be forced, I am a music obsessive but my kids are not really interested and I just have to accept that's how it is. Similarly if your kids are not interested in football, you just have to accept it and they might come round to the idea later.
After I took my young son to Easter Road one December afternoon many years ago I asked him if he would like a half season ticket. He declined, informing me it was too cold and boring. He wasn't wrong but has long since forgotten the logical assessment of the 6 year old him.
As for your kids supporting another team. That is unlikely to happen if you go to games and they go with you. It's a habit.

Killiehibbie
24-05-2021, 12:45 PM
I took my boys to see Kilmarnock that soon put them off the game.

eastterrace
24-05-2021, 01:03 PM
We use to have a family season ticket back in the Jim Duffy days but my son never really took to watching hibs or football so it’s just my wife and me now who have season tickets. I did try to make it enjoyable for him ie buying pies and pizza but just didn’t work, also probably we were losing nearly every week back then.

stuart-farquhar
24-05-2021, 01:26 PM

You've failed. It's your duty to pass the pain on to the next generation.

JeMeSouviens
24-05-2021, 01:27 PM
Both of mine are Hibbies.

I feel guilty as sin today, tbh. :rolleyes:

Lago
24-05-2021, 01:40 PM
We use to have a family season ticket back in the Jim Duffy days but my son never really took to watching hibs or football so it’s just my wife and me now who have season tickets. I did try to make it enjoyable for him ie buying pies and pizza but just didn’t work, also probably we were losing nearly every week back then.
Sounds like my boy, took him to the games but he was more interested in his bovril than the football, he couldn't care less about football in general never mind Hibs. My daughter showed some interest & wanted to experience a cup final at Hampden, we chose the Livi disaster, that was her finished with football. More worrying is my grandson, no interest in Scottish football, supports Spurs (I know) when I ask him why he just say all my pals follow English teams, 1 follows Chelsea, 1 Wolves, 1 Man Utd & 1 Liverpool, different from when I was young.

He's here!
24-05-2021, 01:40 PM

That gets to the heart of the issue for me. The older I get the less I see the wisdom of signing somebody up to something which has such a capacity to play havoc with your state of mind on a regular basis - especially when it's something over which you have zero control. I'm no longer sure I agree with the adage that the great moments make up for the all the letdowns. There are just too many of the latter.

I think I read on here about somebody who had stopped going after 2016 because that moment could never be bettered. Particularly in the wake of Saturday that actually makes a lot of sense to me!

Hibernia&Alba
24-05-2021, 01:43 PM
It's vital for all but the biggest and richest clubs that families maintain the link, otherwise the fans eventually disappear. A club like Hibs can't attract a large following from outside the area, based upon success and global TV exposure; we need the generational supporters. I'm a fan because my dad is, and my grandad and great-grandad were. The club is a family.

DH1875
24-05-2021, 01:53 PM
My daughter's are both celtic fans. Most of their family and friends are and we live in Glasgow. Don't really have a problem with it if I'm honest. My eldest has been to a few of our games and enjoyed it but still supports them. No chance getting the youngest to ER. Have asked her and she point blank refuses lol.

CorrieHibs
24-05-2021, 01:58 PM
My missus is a jambo and I don't think either of my boys will follow Hibs lol. They are only 18 months and 3 years old.

Hibernia&Alba
24-05-2021, 01:59 PM
My missus is a jambo and I don't think either of my boys will follow Hibs lol. They are only 18 months and 3 years old.

You need to intervene now, before your wife has them brainwashed in maroon. That must not happen :agree:

H18 SFR
24-05-2021, 02:05 PM

I know this is irrational and probably no one will agree with me - I wouldn't have went out with her in the first place, purely for the reason you have mentioned. Like I say, I don't expect many to agree, more an insight into my head though.

eastterrace
24-05-2021, 02:07 PM
Sounds like my boy, took him to the games but he was more interested in his bovril than the football, he couldn't care less about football in general never mind Hibs. My daughter showed some interest & wanted to experience a cup final at Hampden, we chose the Livi disaster, that was her finished with football. More worrying is my grandson, no interest in Scottish football, supports Spurs (I know) when I ask him why he just say all my pals follow English teams, 1 follows Chelsea, 1 Wolves, 1 Man Utd & 1 Liverpool, different from when I was young.
Yeh we might have had a favourite English team back in the day but only wanted to follow hibs.

green day
24-05-2021, 02:08 PM

Still time for a divorce...........

green day
24-05-2021, 02:10 PM
That gets to the heart of the issue for me. The older I get the less I see the wisdom of signing somebody up to something which has such a capacity to play havoc with your state of mind on a regular basis - especially when it's something over which you have zero control. I'm no longer sure I agree with the adage that the great moments make up for the all the letdowns. There are just too many of the latter.

I think I read on here about somebody who had stopped going after 2016 because that moment could never be bettered. Particularly in the wake of Saturday that actually makes a lot of sense to me!

My son isnt interested in football - had a ST with me and my old man one year, but it clearly wasnt his thing.

Entirely his choice, and part of me is glad he wont face the lifelong emotional turmoil tbh.

weecounty hibby
24-05-2021, 02:28 PM
Still time for a divorce...........

Must get custody of the kids as well though!!

Hermit Crab
24-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Not at all important, my lad will make his own decisions. I will of course take him to games when he's old enough but if he doesn't show an interest or chooses another team to support then thats fine by me. It won't be forced on him.

Jay
24-05-2021, 02:32 PM
Nope. They can do what they want. It's not for me to tell them who they support or what they do. They are their own person.

I've 4 sons. 3 have no interest in football, one is a hibby. One of them was a rangers fan for a few months so I bought him a strip. It was tough to see him in it but that was his choice, he was just fitting in with his pals. My grandsons mum is a rangers fan and it would break my sons heart if the wee mans not a Hibby but he will be supported in any life choices he makes the same as all my kids have been.

marinello59
24-05-2021, 02:33 PM
Not at all important, my lad will make his own decisions. I will of course take him to games when he's old enough but if he doesn't show an interest or chooses then another team to support then thats fine by me. It won't be forced on him.

:top marks

IFONLY
24-05-2021, 02:35 PM
Not at all important, my lad will make his own decisions. I will of course take him to games when he's old enough but if he doesn't show an interest or chooses another team to support then thats fine by me. It won't be forced on him.
Find that hard to believe Graham

weecounty hibby
24-05-2021, 02:36 PM
All of my kids have had STs, my eldest daughter, now 31, and son had them before they were 2. Younger daughter had one but she has medical issues that meant its not ideal for her to be going to ER each week. Eldest doesn't go anymore but is still a Hibby and often tells me about "disagreements" with some of her pals, and worse, randoms in pubs when the Hibs games on!! Only my laddie still goes, he is now 17 and has loads of other interests as 17 yo boys do and with non attendance at games this year and the pitiful effort on Saturday I can see his ST for next year being used sparingly. All 3 are definitely Hibbies even though they may not attend as much. I would have felt like I had failed as a parent if they had supported any other team. Even if they didn't go to games again at least I know that they are Hibs and no one else.

Brightside
24-05-2021, 02:41 PM
Some people are getting well hooked here.

Bostonhibby
24-05-2021, 02:41 PM
My missus is a jambo and I don't think either of my boys will follow Hibs lol. They are only 18 months and 3 years old.Family jambo is of the type who is usually golfing, swimming, working, having his nails done etc when they are actually playing.

His missus has a Hibs season ticket and his daughter supports Hibs and attends ER more than he attends Tiny[emoji16]

Newry Hibs
24-05-2021, 02:42 PM
I had them in Hibs strips before I moved over here - though they were only 4 and 2.

I really wanted them to not be Celtic fans as that would be the default position - and I pretty much succeeded. I would explain how it was OK to be a bit different in the face of peers all being like sheep (i.e. following Celtic, not the Dons). I think they quite enjoy being 'different' now.

They aren;t as obsessed as I am. Youngest would rather see Man U win than Hibs. Sometimes I think they get more pleasure from my reactions than from the game. Oldest was at the final in 2016 and gets 'it' more than the youngest.

I try to get over at least once a year - and hopefully next season will continue.

Bostonhibby
24-05-2021, 02:43 PM
Some people are getting well hooked here.[emoji6]

Bristolhibby
24-05-2021, 02:48 PM
Totally agree with this. The disappointment associated with a Hibs stands you in good stead across other areas of life.

That’s exactly what I said to my 10 year old as he came over to me in tears at full time for a cuddle.

Life is full of ups and downs, but you become stronger from your failures and disappointments.

J

wookie70
24-05-2021, 02:54 PM
Mine were given the choice of Hibs or sleeping in the shed. I got them season tickets when they were 5 and this is the first season my son hasn't got one. He turned 18 so it was too expensive to get one just to hold his seat and he is working most weekends. My daughter ended up a bigger Hibby than him and seems to feel it more but they both don't have the same type of feelings for the club as I do despite attending lots of matches and also being pretty lucky seeing us win a cup, get promotion and have a decent derby record during their time watching and beating the Uglies regularly.

They will be Hibbys for life but I don't think they will ever love the club as much as I do but that may be a generation thing. It may possibly be because they go to games with their auld man instead of with mates like I did. Saturday sessions with the boys, running buses to big games and the laughs were all part of me falling in love with Hibs as well as all those early adventures travelling with my uncle and his mates on Central Branch and eating crisps and drinking coke outside pubs. I was going to away games with mates from the age of 12 and that type of adventure doesn't really happen these days where parents, including me, are ridiculously protective.

Jay
Some people are getting well hooked here.

Meaning?

LaMotta
Its absolutely imperative that my 6 year old Daughter is a Hibs fan. Her grandad on the other side is big Celtic fan and has been chipping away at her, but I have made it clear from as early as possible that she must follow the path of supporting Hibs.

She could make her own choices in life but I think that would be irresponsible as a parent to do so. If I let her choose her own dinner tonight she would just eat 14 Jaffa Cakes - sometimes you have to guide them for the greater good.

Also kids must learn its a harsh world out there. Its the job of a parent to prepare them for that, and there is no better of way of doing so than ensuring they experence the ups and downs of being a Hibs fan.

GRA
24-05-2021, 02:59 PM
My daughter is only two so a bit young at the moment. I'll take her to games when she's old enough to understand it. I'd love it if she got really into it and carries on the Hibs supporting tradition within the family.

Equally speaking, if she decides that Hibs (or football in general) is not for her then I'll respect that decision. Not going to force it upon her.

MunsterHibee
24-05-2021, 03:14 PM
My little one is almost 5 and is Hibs mad and always wants to wear her hibs Jersey even to school and it's just because I support Hibs so I'm hoping that continues into adulthood lol

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

The dalmeny
24-05-2021, 03:24 PM
Its absolutely imperative that my 6 year old Daughter is a Hibs fan. Her grandad on the other side is big Celtic fan and has been chipping away at her, but I have made it clear from as early as possible that she must follow the path of supporting Hibs.

She could make her own choices in life but I think that would be irresponsible as a parent to do so. If I let her choose her own dinner tonight she would just eat 14 Jaffa Cakes - sometimes you have to guide them for the greater good.

Also kids must learn its a harsh world out there. Its the job of a parent to prepare them for that, and there is no better of way of doing so than ensuring they experence the ups and downs of being a Hibs fan.

Great Advice

Bangkok Hibby
24-05-2021, 04:41 PM
I didn't know any of my grandparents and my father wasnt interested in football. As a youngster growing up in Leith I was totally in love with Man utd and Bobby Charlton. I turn 10 years of age and my 12 year old Italian mate takes me to my first Hibs game where we beat Raith rovers 3-0 From that moment I was hooked until many years later I moved up North for work and fell out of love with the game in general. Going on the principal you should support your local team I'd take my young son to the odd Ross county game. He didn't really show any interest in football until one day a council painter who was doing our walls asked him what team he supported. When he said he wasn't bothered the painter said "you should support the mighty Glasgow Rangers" and from that day he's been a bluenose!

hibbiedon
24-05-2021, 04:48 PM
My Dad took me to see Hibs in 1962, both my daughters are Hibbies my three grandchildren are Hibbies and my great granddaughter is being brought up a Hibbie, my brother is a Hibbie although his sister is a hun

Gaffer1875
24-05-2021, 06:14 PM
We live in uddingston and my little boy is nearly 3. He wears the shirts and sings the song but doesn’t have the attention span to watch a full game. I want him to be a Hibee and I think he will. He will grow up here so the risk is he follows one of the ugly sisters.... if he’s following anyone through this way it will be Motherwell or Hamilton! Keeping him as far aware from the old firm bile as possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
24-05-2021, 06:22 PM
Remember when my laddie was wee he loved Liverpool, Hibs and England. The England thing was driven by Michael Owen and he used to watch the games with me and want England to win. Then......he grew a few years and realised his Scottish identity, it was like a switch had been flicked and England were the team his Dad supported but he was well and truly a Scotland supporter, wouldn’t have it any other way, his Mum is of course Scottish so I blame her 😁

OtleyHibs
24-05-2021, 06:28 PM
My boy would rather play FIFA than watch a game these days, gutting. We live in England so not being able to take him regularly impacted it.

He has a passing interest in Hibs. I can't be too down about it though, I'm from a big Celtic family (I'm glaswegian to be fair to them 😁) and I'm very thankful my dad let me follow the Hibs 👍

lord bunberry
24-05-2021, 07:02 PM
My daughter plays for hibs girls and has a season ticket, she loves playing football, but has less interest in going to the games, she’s not getting out of it that easy though. :greengrin

Ronniekirk
24-05-2021, 07:33 PM
My son is as fanatical as me and my daughter comes to the odd game with me and they were both with me for last two cups we have won as well as all the defeats lol
So yes it’s important to me
Especially as they grew up in Paisley and all Thier friends were Old Firm or St Mirren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCabbage
24-05-2021, 07:42 PM
not far away in Bellshill.
My daughter has been to a couple of games but now just point blanks refuses to get involved and gets annoyed when I pull our he Hibs strip from 3 years ago!
QUOTE=Gaffer1875;6578771]We live in uddingston and my little boy is nearly 3. He wears the shirts and sings the song but doesn’t have the attention span to watch a full game. I want him to be a Hibee and I think he will. He will grow up here so the risk is he follows one of the ugly sisters.... if he’s following anyone through this way it will be Motherwell or Hamilton! Keeping him as far aware from the old firm bile as possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hibernia&Alba
24-05-2021, 08:13 PM
My daughter has been to a couple of games but now just point blanks refuses to get involved and gets annoyed when I pull our he Hibs strip from 3 years ago!
QUOTE=Gaffer1875;6578771]We live in uddingston and my little boy is nearly 3. He wears the shirts and sings the song but doesn’t have the attention span to watch a full game. I want him to be a Hibee and I think he will. He will grow up here so the risk is he follows one of the ugly sisters.... if he’s following anyone through this way it will be Motherwell or Hamilton! Keeping him as far aware from the old firm bile as possible!

My wife is from Bellshill. I've been in The Orb and Saints & Sinners a few times.

You have South Lanarkshire as your location; it should be North?

TheCabbage
24-05-2021, 08:15 PM
I need to update that. I was in Hamilton before moving.
Not been In Any Bellshill pubs yet
QUOTE=Hibernia&Alba;6578967][/QUOTE]

My wife is from Bellshill. I've been in The Orb a few times.

You have South Lanarkshire as your location; it should be North?[/QUOTE]

Hibernia&Alba
24-05-2021, 08:16 PM
I need to update that. I was in Hamilton before moving.
Not been In Any Bellshill pubs yet
QUOTE=Hibernia&Alba;6578967]

My wife is from Bellshill. I've been in The Orb a few times.

You have South Lanarkshire as your location; it should be North?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

You also need to learn how to use the quote function, mate :wink::wink::greengrin

Dmas
25-05-2021, 04:29 AM

I’ve moved from Uddingston to bellshill in the last year, slowly we’ll turn this place round guys 😆 I’ve already lost one child to the Hearts and I’m desperate not to lose my other one to one of the uglies most probably Celtic, my daughters probably won’t be interested in football at all I’m fine with that, I don’t/won’t take them to games if they choose another team and I don’t/won’t buy any merch for any other teams that will be up to the in laws who have made it a choice for him.
He’s only just turned 5 but we’ve been to a few home games and a couple of local away games too, strips are well worn so I think I’m winning at this early stage.

CloudSquall
25-05-2021, 04:48 AM
I'm in Argentina now and my partner's family are all big River Plate fans, with the suffering of the past 30 plus years of following Hibs I won't deny any future child the easier River Plate life..

One Day
25-05-2021, 06:47 AM
Hibs are my team, my dad's team, my grandads team and are now my daughter's team. Just the way my family is. I wouldn't force it on her but I'd be gutted if she decided to support someone else.

I'm very much the same. Grandads on both sides were Hibbies, both my parents were season ticket holders. Me and my brothers are all season ticket holders as are my sons and and my grand children. Not a chance of supporting anyone else in my family. Hibernian F.C. its in the blood.

Diclonius
25-05-2021, 09:21 AM
My Dad was a Celtic fan (now converted, by me!) so I can't really complain if my future kids end up choosing someone else.

Would be nice to take them to games though.

Green Man
25-05-2021, 10:12 AM
My dad is a Hibs fan thanks to his uncle, and he took me when I was young. My oldest had a season ticket for a couple of years but he wasn’t that into it, and towards the end of the second season he was choosing not to go to matches. Fair enough, he’s just not really into football, either watching or playing. My youngest son is football daft, I’ve got us both season tickets for next season so hoping we have some good games to look forward to which cement his love for Hibs.

Brizo
25-05-2021, 11:27 AM
My grandsons are 6th generation Hibs supporters. Their great great great grandad was from the community that founded the club.

Down the generations, our family have lived all over and outside the town, had all sorts of different jobs, and had all sorts of different views on most things. Hibs are the one constant that links that first generation to the sixth generation which I think is pretty special.

Supporting anyone else has never been an option in our family :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
25-05-2021, 01:52 PM
My grandsons are 6th generation Hibs supporters. Their great great great grandad was from the community that founded the club.

Down the generations, our family have lived all over and outside the town, had all sorts of different jobs, and had all sorts of different views on most things. Hibs are the one constant that links that first generation to the sixth generation which I think is pretty special.

That's superb, mate :top marks:not worth

scm70nyd1973
25-05-2021, 08:09 PM
Moved to Glasgow when I was 3 - family all Jambos - pals here and at school all Huns.

Daughter came into this world in ‘96 - wife’s family all Celtic and my daughter went to a Uber Hun school.

Happy to report that she is an Uber Hibby despite all the adversity - could not be happier 😁

WeeRussell
25-05-2021, 08:14 PM
I haven’t got kids as yet, but I always imagine them being wee hibees. Now I think of it though, other than a nice thing to do with younguns (sometimes), I’m not sure I’d be all that fussy in pushing them to Hibs.. probably let them take their own interest if they want to. Although a few obvious teams would be out of the question ;)

My dad wasn’t a hibs fan. He just wanted his boys to love football. Thankfully Hibs found me :)

***** it, I’ve changed my mind. They’ll be Hibs fans or oot the hoose.

EH6 Hibby
26-05-2021, 05:10 AM

My son loves Hibs and going to games so thankfully I’ve never had to worry about him following another team.

I have to say though, I really questioned what I was subjecting him to at the final whistle of the Ross County game. He was 11 years old and he just looked shell shocked. I looked along the row, and there was another boy of around a similar age, absolutely crying his heart out. If we hadn’t won the Scottish cup that year, I think we may have lost a huge chunk of kids from our support, my son was too young to remember 2007, so all he had experienced following Hibs, was 3 cup final defeats and relegation.

JimBHibees
26-05-2021, 05:59 AM
Moved to Glasgow when I was 3 - family all Jambos - pals here and at school all Huns.

Daughter came into this world in ‘96 - wife’s family all Celtic and my daughter went to a Uber Hun school.

Happy to report that she is an Uber Hibby despite all the adversity - could not be happier 😁

Your work is done. Well done. :greengrin

JimBHibees
26-05-2021, 06:00 AM

Brilliant :not worth

Niffy
26-05-2021, 06:14 AM
Not at all. Free choice and all that.

When I was old enough to go to games a chose Hibs.
Dad a Rangers fan and grandad a Jambo ( he lived above Tommy Youngers bar though and regularly had parties with both Hibs and Hearts players in attendance).

But my dad waited and let me choose.

I personally think it’s odd seeing babies in a teams colours and the “ newest fan “ thing but each to their own.

Alfiembra
26-05-2021, 06:15 AM

I have 3 sons and I wasn’t desperate that they became Hibbies but I was mad keen on them enjoying and playing football and through that hoped they would, in time, follow Hibs.
However all 3 bar the youngest didn’t enjoy football and were more interested in other sports. The youngest played school and boys club football but it became obvious that he was doing it to please me although I don’t think he didn’t enjoy it. Gradually.he became more interested in Judo and progressed through that to a very high standard, international competition, captained his University team and now coaches, and I couldn’t be more proud of him and his brothers.
l have mixed feelings about it, I did take them to a few games and have watched games with them on TV but it was obvious the interest wasn’t there. I haven’t tried to force football on them but I would have liked to have gone to games with them. However all is not lost my oldest son just became a Dad for the first time and I’m retired now so we’ll see if my little Grand-daughter has the bug and the love of the game and the Hibees has skipped a generation.

scm70nyd1973
26-05-2021, 06:41 AM
Your work is done. Well done. :greengrin

Cheers - I feel like I have been a subconscious Hibby Missionary. I have recently persuaded a fitba mad Argentinian girl to follow the Cabbage (when I lived in NZ for 7 years until the end of last year ). It is after all a type of religion for us all 😂

Bristolhibby
26-05-2021, 06:45 AM
On the family thing, my Dad and I made it out mission to take my wee cousin along to Hibs games when he was wee.

He was from a rugby family (Hearts if I had to push them) but he was never going to football.

Mission was accomplished.

J

Pagan Hibernia
26-05-2021, 07:02 AM
My Dad was a Celtic fan (now converted, by me!) so I can't really complain if my future kids end up choosing someone else.

Would be nice to take them to games though.

this is interesting, and impressive.

If I might ask, how’d you end up choosing the better shade of green when the easier life was there for you?

Alex Trager
26-05-2021, 07:21 AM
I have a wee girl and I had her in her hibs top at the weekend. She loved it, she’s nearly two.

But in reality if she chooses to not support them (by not liking the sport) that is fine. If she chooses to support another side, that will be categorically not fine [emoji846]

lugz
26-05-2021, 09:41 AM
My 3 wee girls will all support hibs but it won't be rammed down their throats, if they want to go to games they can. My interest has dropped in recent years too.

calumhibee1
26-05-2021, 09:56 AM
I’ve no kids but for me I think I’d be delighted if they were Hibs fans, could accept if they didn’t like football at all but would be gutted if they supported someone else. :agree:

heretoday
26-05-2021, 10:04 AM
It's not important at all.