PDA

View Full Version : Anyone actually feeling MORE irritated today than they were on Saturday?

He's here!
24-05-2021, 08:51 AM
For me the length of the 'recovery' period after a Hibs defeat can vary, but normally after a couple of days I'm ready to move on.

However, Saturday's disbelief/anger etc has now given way to lingering frustration at just how big an chance we blew. There was a lot of talk about St Johnstone's record against us this season and while (as I've suggested on another thread) you could argue they were simply better than us, what I think is so hard to get past is the nature of the Hibs performance. They HAD to show more than that against a team which finished 18 points behind them in the league. In cup competitions the cards only fall that way very, very rarely and for some of the players they may never again have such a gilt-edged chance to win a major trophy. I do wonder if they grasp the enormity of the opportunity they threw away. Maddening.

jeffers
24-05-2021, 08:56 AM
I wouldn’t say I’m more irritated, but I’m still as angry as I was on Saturday.

Bostonhibby
24-05-2021, 08:56 AM
For me the length of the 'recovery' period after a Hibs defeat can vary, but normally after a couple of days I'm ready to move on.

However, Saturday's disbelief/anger etc has now given way to lingering frustration at just how big an chance we blew. There was a lot of talk about St Johnstone's record against us this season and while (as I've suggested on another thread) you could argue they were simply better than us, what I think is so hard to get past is the nature of the Hibs performance. They HAD to show more than that against a team which finished 18 points behind them in the league. In cup competitions the cards only fall that way very, very rarely and for some of the players they may never again have such a gilt-edged chance to win a major trophy. I do wonder if they grasp the enormity of the opportunity they threw away. Maddening.To be honest I've supported Hibs long enough for frustrating events like this to be possible.

Pissed off but I'd have been much worse if we'd the prospect of a history making humiliation like being knocked out early on by non league Brora to live with for decades to come.

Many Hibbies will think this way.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Stuart93
24-05-2021, 08:57 AM

However, Saturday's disbelief/anger etc has now given way to lingering frustration at just how big an chance we blew. There was a lot of talk about St Johnstone's record against us this season and while (as I've suggested on another thread) you could argue they were simply better than us, what I think is so hard to get past is the nature of the Hibs performance. They HAD to show more than that against a team which finished 18 points behind them in the league. In cup competitions the cards only fall that way very, very rarely and for some of the players they may never again have such a gilt-edged chance to win a major trophy. I do wonder if they grasp the enormity of the opportunity they threw away. Maddening.

Aye I’m feeling less angry that we got beat but more angry about the players, the way they played and their reaction to the defeat

Looked like they couldn’t be arsed.

Stuart93
24-05-2021, 08:58 AM
To be honest I've supported Hibs long enough for frustrating events like this to be possible.

Pissed off but I'd have been much worse if we'd the prospect of a history making humiliation like being knocked out early on by non league Brora to live with for decades to come.

Thing is though, hearts fans have more or less forgotten about the fact they were put out by Brora because we were beat in the final, or “hibsd it” as they say.

flash
24-05-2021, 09:00 AM
Thing is though, hearts fans have more or less forgotten about the fact they were put out by Brora because we were beat in the final, or “hibsd it” as they say.

Let's not compare the two as if what we did was worse.

Stuart93
24-05-2021, 09:02 AM
Let's not compare the two as if what we did was worse.

I’m not comparing the two, the poster said they need to live with the fact Brora put them out for decades to come when in reality the majority of them have already forgotten about it because they watched us get beat in the final.

Dr What If?
24-05-2021, 09:06 AM
That game would have been murder to watch as a neutral....no excitement, one goal and a penalty save the highlights. So many back passes and very little passion. St J didn't need to defend that well, I just don't understand it? Any statements from the club? Someone needs to explain what the plan was on Saturday cos I didn't see any.....were we trying to bore them into submission?

Jones28
24-05-2021, 09:11 AM
I was over it about 10 mins after the final whistle.

What I want to know is why did St Johnstone have a man around every single second ball, why did their players look fitter and stronger and why the **** did Boyle *****bag out of a challenge that if he'd been a bit harder than, say, my 2 year old daughter, would have seen us break away with the ball instead of concede a goal.

Bostonhibby
24-05-2021, 09:13 AM
I’m not comparing the two, the poster said they need to live with the fact Brora put them out for decades to come when in reality the majority of them have already forgotten about it because they watched us get beat in the final.Good point but there's a world of difference between pretending something didn't happen for whatever reason and it actually existing in fact.

B.H.F.C
24-05-2021, 09:34 AM
Now that it’s actually sunk in a bit, I think I’m even more shocked by the way we played. There has to be something behind it. It wasn’t just a case of not playing well. There was just a total lack of desire.

Gmack7
24-05-2021, 09:38 AM
What frustrates me is I'm not sure JR or the players realise the the magnitude of the opportunity they so meekly passed up,a truly horrific performance

JeMeSouviens
24-05-2021, 09:47 AM
Now that it’s actually sunk in a bit, I think I’m even more shocked by the way we played. There has to be something behind it. It wasn’t just a case of not playing well. There was just a total lack of desire.

I really don't think that's it. The game was practically a carbon copy of the previous St Johnstone games.

They stifled our front 3 and our midfield weren't good enough to do anything in front of them. Lots of safe passing, keeping the ball, but with Saints camped in, that kind of play just wasn't going to cut it.

I think Jack Ross has tried to play their game, keep it tight, stay solid, hope for a break. They're just much better at it than us. The frustration for me is that it panned out pretty much exactly like I thought it would.

Danderhall Hibs
24-05-2021, 09:50 AM

Same here mate - absolutely raging. Can’t believe we played into the game plan we knew they would have and the lack of desire shown by the players.

Reading this board isn’t helping either :hilarious

BoomtownHibees
24-05-2021, 09:55 AM
Same here mate - absolutely raging. Can’t believe we played into the game plan we knew they would have and the lack of desire shown by the players.

Reading this board isn’t helping either :hilarious

There’s been a few things mentioned on various threads around something “bigger” at play from the weekend, something similar to the bonus row in 2012. Ive seen things like naming the team early being blamed, resting players last weekend being spoken about.

What about the decision to share the ‘bonus pot’ around the wider staff group? Who agreed to that? Maybe some of the players weren’t too happy with it. That maybe explains (but not excuse) the lack of application from some.

I don’t know if any of this would be a cause but there’s definitely a feeling of something not quite being right for me. The way Nisbet came out before the game for example, the lack of desire another

Sir David Gray
24-05-2021, 09:57 AM
I'm still absolutely furious to be honest. The players and management team let the club down on Saturday and it's going to take a while for the feelings of anger and disappointment to leave me.

It was one of the most gutless performances I've ever seen in a cup final.

Is It On....
24-05-2021, 09:59 AM
To be honest I've supported Hibs long enough for frustrating events like this to be possible.

Don't care about the other lot. We blew a massive chance to win the Scottish Cup against a very average team. Yes there were mistakes at the goal but we managed only 2 shots on target in 95 minutes. I was despondent on Saturday but now it's giving way anger about the WAY (flat, one paced) we played.

Is It On....
24-05-2021, 10:00 AM
I'm still absolutely furious to be honest. The players and management team let the club down on Saturday and it's going to take a while for the feelings of anger and disappointment to leave me.

100% agree.

Bostonhibby
24-05-2021, 10:04 AM
Don't care about the other lot. We blew a massive chance to win the Scottish Cup against a very average team. Yes there were mistakes at the goal but we managed only 2 shots on target in 95 minutes. I was despondent on Saturday but now it's giving way anger about the WAY (flat, one paced) we played.Agree with you there, I'm just giving some context to my view. We were outplayed outfought and out thought by a very decent side. One we should have been capable of at least matching.

Pagan Hibernia
24-05-2021, 10:04 AM

yeah. It was horrible.

I like JR, I think he’s a good manager and the right one for us. But I’m still scratching my head at the ‘pride’ he spoke of after the game.

we lost a Scottish cup final to St Johnstone with an absolute whimper and that was shameful.

keep the faith
24-05-2021, 10:09 AM
It's strange. I'm a bit of a happy Clapper I guess and like to take the bigger picture view, but I'm furious about this. I hate the way we play and I hate the fact we did nothing to win a cup final. No kitchen sink job at the end. No nothing.

A Celtic team utterly imploding, an aberdeen side on the decline and no hearts puts a false shine on only a half decent season for me. Hopefully we progress further and there is a plan, but I refuse to airbrush Saturdays performance out the season. I know I'm in the minority but I would still prefer to finish a place or two lower and play passionate, entertaining football than turn into McInnes Aberdeen. Consistent but unspectacular against smaller teams, but fail with a whimper in every big game.
Only my view.

GRA
24-05-2021, 10:09 AM

My thinking mirrors this. How often does the chance come up to play a cup final against a non-OF team lower than us in the league?

Don't get me wrong, Saints are a good team, their record this year proves that and I was expecting a tight game. It's more the fact the tactics clearly haven't worked against them this year but the same tactics were employed with the same end result.

I'd accept defeat a bit more if we had a proper go. We had one chance the whole game. After Saints scored they never looked like getting back into it. Even the penalty save didn't galvanise them. Players never seemed to believe they could get back into it and never turned up, that's the most disappointing part.

I'm Spartacus
24-05-2021, 10:12 AM
I'm still gutted, but not losing sight of the fact we were third in the league, got to a cup final and survived a pandemic.

My anger does sit on the players for the lack of application, urgency and desire to win every ball, 90 minutes of your life as a player, can they all sit and say "We gave everything in our body and mind today to win that game", that's where my frustration lies as the answer is NO.

I'm not agreeing with the 'Jack Ross out' and 'mass clear out' threads, we've done so well to have a successful season, we're chapping on the door and can build on that for next season.

Sir David Gray
24-05-2021, 10:24 AM
yeah. It was horrible.

I like JR, I think he’s a good manager and the right one for us. But I’m still scratching my head at the ‘pride’ he spoke of after the game.

we lost a Scottish cup final to St Johnstone with an absolute whimper and that was shameful.

I agree. I don't believe he should be sacked either but his post-match comments were baffling to say the least and do not reflect reality.

I can only hope that his comments to the players in the dressing room were a bit stronger than the ones he made in public. If not then I'd be concerned by that.

It's performances like that which put managers' jobs on the line.

ddoc
24-05-2021, 10:25 AM
What frustrates me is I'm not sure JR or the players realise the the magnitude of the opportunity they so meekly passed up,a truly horrific performance

I went into this game with a reasonable amount of confidence, based on us having a game plan from lessons learnt from the previous encounters and that we were actually the better team. The cup was coming back to ER.
Within 10min that confidence had drained away. At the end of the game I was of course angry, but mainly I was perplexed. I just could not figure out how a team, that I had watched put in some really good performances could save their worst of the season for the most important game of the season.
And here I am today with just the same feelings, which were magnified by the JR interview.
It was a truly horrific performance indeed.
There are so many negative adjectives I could use to describe how I feel that I just need to shut up about this for the sake of my sanity.

One Day Soon
24-05-2021, 10:28 AM
It feels worse now because I'm reflecting on the fact that this wasn't just a bad day at the office. It was a conscious repeat of previous bad days at the office.

If I'm being really generous I'd say he had little choice in tactics with a limited squad. If I'm being brutal I'd say he lacks the tactical nous to switch things up from game to game and within games when the opposition require a different approach. Either way there is no positive whatsoever to take from that performance. None.

Andy74
24-05-2021, 10:30 AM
I really don't think that's it. The game was practically a carbon copy of the previous St Johnstone games.

They stifled our front 3 and our midfield weren't good enough to do anything in front of them. Lots of safe passing, keeping the ball, but with Saints camped in, that kind of play just wasn't going to cut it.

I think Jack Ross has tried to play their game, keep it tight, stay solid, hope for a break. They're just much better at it than us. The frustration for me is that it panned out pretty much exactly like I thought it would.

I don’t think it was.

We battered them in the semi final before they scored.

This performance was far worse than I think any I’ve seen this season. We didn’t do a single thing in the game which is very unusual.

Smartie
24-05-2021, 10:33 AM
I'm more hacked off now.

TBh I was a wee bit ambivalent about it on Saturday. I didn't go out of my way to go out and watch it, ending up watching it in the house, mainly because I had a hunch that it was going to go the way it ultimately went.

That fact irritates me more as time goes by though.

Key West
24-05-2021, 10:34 AM
The performance was demoralising such was the ineptitude on display it has really dented my confidence in a lot of the players and the manager.
Mickey Weir more or less sums it up in his column in the EN, I would certainly be less optimistic about the coming seasons ahead and I sincerely hope that I am proved wrong.

Since452
24-05-2021, 10:36 AM
I was confident. We absolutely battered St Johnstone in the semi before they hit us with a sucker punch. Saturday we were just pish. I can only think of Jackson Irvine's chance in the whole game. Im still angry and can't believe we were so passive in a cup final.

Booked4Being-Ugly
24-05-2021, 10:38 AM
I'm more hacked off now.

TBh I was a wee bit ambivalent about it on Saturday. I didn't go out of my way to go out and watch it, ending up watching it in the house, mainly because I had a hunch that it was going to go the way it ultimately went.

That fact irritates me more as time goes by though.

I was the exact same.

My gut was telling me we weren't going to win this. I thought we had a chance If all our 'big' players turned up and played to their ability. Sadly they all went into hiding when it really mattered.

I wish I could get over it as quickly as the manager or players seemed to. Got to question whether they even give a ****.

Since452
24-05-2021, 10:40 AM
The only thing that makes it a wee bit easier is that I didn't have to trapse home from Glasgow after spending a lot of money on a day out to watch that pish.

BoomtownHibees
24-05-2021, 10:43 AM
I was confident. We absolutely battered St Johnstone in the semi before they hit us with a sucker punch. Saturday we were just pish. I can only think of Jackson Irvine's chance in the whole game. Im still angry and can't believe we were so passive in a cup final.

I was confident all week as well. Even more so from the positivity coming from the club all week. I bought in to the social media commentary in the lead up to the game. I felt that the whole club knew what this one meant and were well up for it, from the interviews to Ron’s message to us all. And then the game happened.

Since452
24-05-2021, 10:46 AM
I was confident all week as well. Even more so from the positivity coming from the club all week. I bought in to the social media commentary in the lead up to the game. I felt that the whole club knew what this one meant and were well up for it, from the interviews to Ron’s message to us all. And then the game happened.

I was the same. Allowed myself to buy into it against my better judgement. The lesson I've learned from it is that all the social media build up, interviews etc is all bull****. Do all that after the game. Hardly a peep from St Johnstone beforehand and they got the job done.

Scottie
24-05-2021, 10:48 AM
The older I get the more ****ing hacked off I'm getting with gutless & spineless performances like Saturday. I'm ****ing raging at the lack of effort and the perceived ability of our players to NOT turn up in any of our so called big games. All we asked of any of our players as supporters is to show a little character and fight for the jersey. :fuming:

KingPat4
24-05-2021, 10:48 AM
Even more stunned, is how I would describe my feelings.

We were so bad it felt almost supernatural watching that second half. Even when Matt saved the penalty, I knew there would be no reaction. Four
Hampden appearances in just over six months, three defeats- awful defeats- against non Old Firm clubs.

Until 2016, I felt we were cursed and I'm beginning to think the same again.

I cannot explain why, but it just wasn't to be.

Bristolhibby
24-05-2021, 11:15 AM

Screams of the Championship seasons. How many games did we come away from having lost by a single goal, or a draw thinking how the **** did we not win that?

We (and I was talking to my son about this) fail to give the opposition credit for stifling the game. We have to think round the banks of well drilled players. Playing keep ball and when in doubt launching it, would never work.

Width and pace. Did Boyle beat a man on Saturday?

St J and their little triangles. Brilliant to watch, certainly something I get my boys teams to do. 3 on 2 every time and let the ball do the work, move into space and keep passing.

Compare to Hibs. Whoomph! Meat and drink for 3 center half’s.

J

Bristolhibby
24-05-2021, 11:16 AM
The only thing that makes it a wee bit easier is that I didn't have to trapse home from Glasgow after spending a lot of money on a day out to watch that pish.

In the standard pishing rain.

The amount of times I’ve ended up drenched arriving in Glasgow centre is unreal.

J

hibsforeurope
24-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Yup, even more Angry/Depressed/Shocked/Frustrated today than i was on Saturday. The beer helped at the weekend but now, eventually, with a clear head the result and performance is hitting home.

For me the hurt and anger is worse than 2012, this will take a while to bounce back from.

sleeping giant
24-05-2021, 11:23 AM

Did you not post the same thread yesterday?

pollution
24-05-2021, 11:30 AM
In an ideal world, or thereabouts, I would like Ron to thank JR and move him on to set an example that although he, JR , has done well to get us into third place

that gutless display in a final is unacceptable. We would have to have a replacement ready of course. Wishful thinking but it seems to me that managers choose us

rather than the other way round.

Anyway, that is the last time I watch Hibs on TV in a live final: we have lost every time ( I only watched the last 5 mins of 2016 ). Ditto the future king.

matty_f
24-05-2021, 11:34 AM
I’m not feeling any better about it today than i was on Saturday night.

I’m looking forward to getting a lot off my chest when we record longbangers tonight.

Spike Mandela
24-05-2021, 11:35 AM
I’m feeling how the players are feeling, a great opportunity missed. I feel like I got all dressed up and my date never showed. So disappointing.

theonlywayisup
24-05-2021, 11:38 AM
Everyone asking "how was your weekend" hasn't helped :grr::grr::grr:

matty_f
24-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Andy74 made a really good post about feeling that shocked at the level of performance it almost feels like the game is still to come, like it was that bad it can’t really have been the final. He worded it better than me, but i totally agree with the sentiment.

It feels like we’ve been deprived of the final we needed.

loanheadhibby
Yep, absolutely fuming!

When you follow hibs, you can lose any game but it was the manner of the defeat. Insipid.

They say time is a great healer!

Cod Boy
For the manager to come out after the game and say my players couldn’t have gave me more is a joke. If he thinks that then he’s in the wrong job. Goalkeeper apart the rest of them need to take a long hard look at themselves absolutel bottle jobs

truehibernian
24-05-2021, 11:51 AM
Still angry, but even more worried that a Jack Ross side won’t include any real creation and energy in the middle of the park. I really hope Mathie is reading the room and seeing a large majority of the fans not liking the style of football, never mind the Hampden results. Home form in particular has gone back to being very poor, which means we need to be far more attacking in all areas, not just up top.

For me it’s the worst cup final performance of any team in years - not a good ‘honour’ to go alongside the other horrendous results we’ve had there.

BILLYHIBS
24-05-2021, 11:57 AM
Still ragin

I was in the “ not convinced “ camp but the events of the past few months have finally made my mind up re Jack Ross

Tactically nieve, unable to motivate the players, dodgy team selections, no plan A or plan B, devoid of imagination and inspiration and the worst brand of football the world’s ever seen

One final thing please do not sign long-term injured players this summer

Seriously considering not renewing two ST’s for what is now deemed to be the most expensive part of the ground

Rant over! :greengrin

Pretty Boy
24-05-2021, 12:01 PM
I was pretty calm on Saturday night. TV went off and I enjoyed seeing people who I hadn't seen in a long time. It's probably the most normal life has felt in months.

The anger/frustration/disappointment has been a bit of a slow burner. I'm just utterly baffled by it all. What was Ross thinking? How did he think doing the same thing against St Johnstone again would produce a different result? How could the players look so demotivated and disinterested in a cup final? The game was a total non event, it didn't feel like a final, we didn't play it like a final. It was just a big void of nothingness.

JohnMcM
24-05-2021, 12:03 PM
I’m still stunned at how very poor we were at trying break them down and how many individuals underperformed in such an important game.

HibbyAndy
24-05-2021, 12:06 PM
I was pretty calm on Saturday night. TV went off and I enjoyed seeing people who I hadn't seen in a long time. It's probably the most normal life has felt in months.

The anger/frustration/disappointment has been a bit of a slow burner. I'm just utterly baffled by it all. What was Ross thinking? How did he think doing the same thing against St Johnstone again would produce a different result? How could the players look so demotivated and disinterested in a cup final? The game was a total non event, it didn't feel like a final, we didn't play it like a final. It was just a big void of nothingness.

The incentive and motivation HAD to be their , European football worth millions and thousand upon thousands of season tickets sold , Merchandise sold , Why in god's name did we give such a pathetic lame disaster of a performance :confused:

Tyler Durden
24-05-2021, 12:09 PM
Same as most others, I was not entirely surprised by the outcome but the actual performance..... was just unbelievable.

Prior to the game I was quick to remind other people that we hadn't fielded Nisbet and Doidge together against St Johnstone previously, Newell had missed the 3-0 game.......various points as to why this would be different. And instead it was worse than all of those previous games. My mate said after about 75 minutes that it was like the game was in slow motion and he was totally right. It was like the players couldn't run.

I'm still angry in particular at the performance of Boyle - think I'd be quite happy to see the back of him now. Just can't get my head round how he and the management team went through that 90 minutes.

Coco Bryce
24-05-2021, 12:09 PM
Still stunned at how bad we performed.

But even more angrier that Jack Ross doesn't have ability to change formation during a game when things clearly aren't working.

Why was Gogic subbed instead of Newell? We needed to win the midfield battle and Newell is not that type of player.

Don't even get me started on the Boyle fiasco. Should have switched into the middle of the park in the 2nd half to run at them as out om the wing they were just crowding him out.

truehibernian
24-05-2021, 12:10 PM
I’m not feeling any better about it today than i was on Saturday night.

I’m looking forward to getting a lot off my chest when we record longbangers tonight.

Whilst not advocating kicking them when they're down Matty, I hope you send the recording to Hibs and ensure the staff and management know how appalled we are as a fan base at the sheer lack of energy and determination the team showed on Saturday and that Jack's opinion on the game is so wide of the mark it's almost comical.

It's not a knee-jerk reaction either, it's as honest an assessment you can get from any supporter - that Saturday 'performance' was completely unacceptable, full stop.

superfurryhibby
24-05-2021, 12:11 PM

I would like him to at least have the honesty to acknowledge that he got the tactics wrong.

Platitudes about the players efforts just add insult to injury. Ross needs to remove his head from his own arse. Hiding from the reality of what his side offered up on Saturday doesn't give me any confidence in his Hibernian future. Self belief is all very well, but being delusional isn't good (adding Jambo's like Liam Fox to the coaching team, it just makes my tolerance thresholds drop even more).

Since452
24-05-2021, 12:12 PM

Didn't feel like a final at all. Very, very weird.

JimBHibees
24-05-2021, 12:15 PM
Still stunned at how bad we performed.

But even more angrier that Jack Ross doesn't have ability to change formation during a game when things clearly aren't working.

Why was Gogic subbed instead of Newell? We needed to win the midfield battle and Newell is not that type of player.

Don't even get me started on the Boyle fiasco. Should have switched into the middle of the park in the 2nd half to run at them as out om the wing they were just crowding him out.

Agree Gogic definitely should have stayed on the same sub as the other semi which went pearshaped. He isn't the best player but gives us that aggression and drive we are sadly lacking. As with you swap players about a bit Boyle off the front or Murphy in there. Amazed we never played 3 in the middle at any stage of the game when we have played 352 most of the season. Their two clear threats were Spoony and Rooney and the goal palpably showed we didn't seem to consider them. Utterly bizarre every bit of it. That was us with 10 days to prepare against a team who has been hit with Covid and isolation issues. Utterly unfathomable they looked fresher and more energetic all game.

Hiber-nation
24-05-2021, 12:16 PM
Still fuming. All the noises coming out of ER all week had been so positive, from the club's social media stuff to Ron Gordon's message. Then we got that served up to us without even a hint of contrition from the manager afterwards. Still makes no sense how a team 3rd in the league could be so lethargic, predictable, devoid of energy and ideas in a Scottish Cup Final.

Wakeyhibee
24-05-2021, 12:19 PM
Andy74 made a really good post about feeling that shocked at the level of performance it almost feels like the game is still to come, like it was that bad it can’t really have been the final. He worded it better than me, but i totally agree with the sentiment.

Pretty much sums up how I felt. 10mins after the final whistle it was history almost like watching someone else.
I knew it was a 50/50 game brfore the kickoff but thought we'd turned a corner on performances and was gonna be our day.

It's not the fact we've been beat off Ross Co, Livingston & St Johnstone in finals. It's the fact that we've always had more resources and yet in 2 out of 3 we were below them to start off. Hibs spend far too much on players that are marginally or no better than those teams (with some individual exceptions both ways).

We've got 3rd which is no doubt a great achievement in what has been the wierdest season ever.

Danderhall Hibs
Tactically nieve, unable to motivate the players, dodgy team selections, no plan A or plan B, devoid of imagination and inspiration and the worst brand of football the world’s ever seen

Rant over! :greengrin

As raging as I am stuff like this is just incorrect.

B.H.F.C
Whilst not advocating kicking them when they're down Matty, I hope you send the recording to Hibs and ensure the staff and management know how appalled we are as a fan base at the sheer lack of energy and determination the team showed on Saturday and that Jack's opinion on the game is so wide of the mark it's almost comical.

It's not a knee-jerk reaction either, it's as honest an assessment you can get from any supporter - that Saturday 'performance' was completely unacceptable, full stop.

I really hope he was just playing the game with his comments after the game. If he genuinely believes what he said then he has very different expectations of his players than nearly every Hibs supporter.

Coco Bryce
24-05-2021, 12:21 PM

What parts are incorrect?

I'm Spartacus
Something that annoys me about us, and all football in general (those coaches out there please tell me it's more than this), if we could implement our game plan and just simply make the passing and movement of that quicker, not changing anything, just making it quicker, then surely you are onto a winner - I see it like taking a penalty - move the ball from A to B as fast as you can and you increase your chances of scoring, if the keeper saves it then unlucky, if you try and pass it into the net then the risk of missing is greater. Slow passing allows a very well organised team to keep their shape.

A final I would be expecting us to be 100% up for it, chasing everything, passing and moving better and faster than we have all season, defending for our lives for 90 minutes and if we lose we can all sit back and respect the effort for the badge.

.Sean.
Still raging, thank god I’m off work today cause I’m still rough as toast after drowning my sorrows well into the wee hours on Sunday.

At least I’ll no get it tight at work the morn, as I made it clear to colleagues I wasn’t too confident - spectacular failure and letting us down is ingrained in this club.

marinello59
24-05-2021, 12:25 PM
I’m still disappointed but any anger I felt dissipated fairly quickly. It’s a negative emotion, to keep it going for any length of time takes effort, life’s too short. Or maybe I’m just to lazy to put the work in. :greengrin
This has been a season like no other. I can’t say I’ve watched many games that have come close to replicating the passion that crowds induce in normal times. That’s not making excuses for anything but compared to other years any records of achievement or failure will carry a large imaginary asterisk for me.
We have decent foundations to build on, I’d rather start looking forward. . Jack Ross may not be he most exciting manager we have ever had but I do trust him to take a cold clinical look at what’s needed to take us out of the summer transfer window in a stronger position to achieve the success we all desire.

GGTTH :thumbsup:

BILLYHIBS
24-05-2021, 12:26 PM
How so ?

Set up four times the same way against Saintees and lost four times

How did he expect the result to be any different ?

Once we lost the first goal it was curtains

Dropping our best defender did not help

Maybe shudda played all three centre backs in a 3-5-2

Fail to prepare Prepare to fail

Just ask any Sunderland fan re Jack Ross 0 out of 2 Wembley visits

Please do not take my word for it :greengrin

I’ve not even touched on failure to motivate inspire and put fire in the bellies but if you have to get motivated for a Scottish Cup Final you are in the wrong job

No excuse for being second to every second ball in a national cup final

The fare on offer on HIBS TV for the most part of the season was bland and uninspiring to say the least

Danderhall Hibs
24-05-2021, 12:26 PM

Unable to motivate players - 3rd in the league says different
No plan A - as above
Worst brand of football - 3rd most goals scored in the league

Devoid of imagination and inspiration on Saturday no doubt but not every week.

It’s just emotional nonsense that can’t be backed up.

truehibernian
24-05-2021, 12:28 PM
I really hope he was just playing the game with his comments after the game. If he genuinely believes what he said then he has very different expectations of his players than nearly every Hibs supporter.

I posted on the day that the post-match interview was a shocker and in no way did the players earn or deserve such 'praise' - I often like his pragmatism, but Saturday was a time to let rip into them and let them know how they've let the club down. As critical as I was at times of Lennon's approach, Saturday was a time for one of Lenny's characteristic outbursts - to hell with their feelings, they were all - bar Matt Macey - utterly lifeless and showed no desire to win a football match.

bingo70
24-05-2021, 12:30 PM

I don’t think there was anything dodgy about his team selection.

He stuck by the players that had for the most part been very good for him this season. The only decision that I think he had to make was Macgregor or Porteous. He chose the latter, I completely understand why so I’m not going to slate him for that.

Managing in hindsight is relatively easy. Looking back I think I would have started Murphy to pin back Rooney. If he’d done that though and it never worked he would have been slated. Before kick off I was fine with the team so I’m not going to pretend otherwise now.

The lack of plan B and poor motivation of the players are issues though. I don’t think he’s going to be someone that ever sends his team out with fire in their belly though so I think that will always limit him as a manager. I think he’s built a decent squad and is apparently an excellent coach. I’m not sure he’s got that extra wee spark that separates the best managers from the pretty average ones though.

Tyler Durden
24-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Agree Gogic definitely should have stayed on the same sub as the other semi which went pearshaped. He isn't the best player but gives us that aggression and drive we are sadly lacking. As with you swap players about a bit Boyle off the front or Murphy in there. Amazed we never played 3 in the middle at any stage of the game when we have played 352 most of the season. Their two clear threats were Spoony and Rooney and the goal palpably showed we didn't seem to consider them. Utterly bizarre every bit of it. That was us with 10 days to prepare against a team who has been hit with Covid and isolation issues. Utterly unfathomable they looked fresher and more energetic all game.

We've played 4-4-2 for most of the season and certainly the last few months. We played 3-5-2 against them in the League Cup semi and it didn't work any better.

I totally agree with your overall point about our lack of a game plan but the formation stuff for me is less important. It's the fact we didn't change much during the game - especially Boyle's position - and the fact we just seemed to think if we "played our own game" we'd come out on top. Completely played into their hands again.

We needed a high energy approach and quick passing to exploit gaps. Instead we thought that laboured passing in our own half would work for some reason.

Danderhall Hibs
24-05-2021, 12:32 PM

He stuck by the players that had for the most part been very good for him this season. The only decision that I think he had to make was Macgregor or Porteous. He chose the latter, I completely understand why so I’m not going to slate him for that.

Managing in hindsight is relatively easy. Looking back I think I would have started Murphy to pin back Rooney. If he’d done that though and it never worked he would have been slated. Before kick off I was fine with the team so I’m not going to pretend otherwise now.

The lack of plan B and poor motivation of the players are issues though. I don’t think he’s going to be someone that ever sends his team out with fire in their belly though so I think that will always limit him as a manager. I think he’s built a decent squad and is apparently an excellent coach. I’m not sure he’s got that extra wee spark that separates the best managers from the pretty average ones though.

Agree with almost all of this. Not convinced he’s been unable to motivate players given where we finished in the league but clearly on Saturday the players were 2nd to everything (at best).

superfurryhibby
24-05-2021, 12:34 PM
Unable to motivate players - 3rd in the league says different
No plan A - as above
Worst brand of football - 3rd most goals scored in the league

Devoid of imagination and inspiration on Saturday no doubt but not every week.

It’s just emotional nonsense that can’t be backed up.

I think Billy was largely referring to the absolutely dismal display in the cup final on Saturday. I don't care about every other week or any such gash. We were utterly clueless in the biggest game that Hibs can play in.

Ross should be apologising to the fans and acknowledging that he got is dismally wrong. I could respect that more than the pish he said after the game.

bingo70
24-05-2021, 12:41 PM
Agree with almost all of this. Not convinced he’s been unable to motivate players given where we finished in the league but clearly on Saturday the players were 2nd to everything (at best).

I think we finished 3rd as he’s built the 3rd best squad in the country.

Over the course of a season if you have better players than your opposition and organise them well enough then you will likely win enough games to see you do well, Ross deserves credit for that.

In one off matches though, a team that is really up for it and plays with fire in their belly will beat a placid team just going through the motions. St Johnstone have obviously struggled to play with that intensity all season, for one off matches they can raise their game.

Can we ever raise our game or do we just play at the one level consistently and for the most part that’s been enough this season?

H18S NX
24-05-2021, 12:48 PM
Still very angry,the team application was a disgrace,and the managers interview afterwards was shocking,unforgivable,IMO.

The Harp Awakes
24-05-2021, 01:01 PM
Still very angry,the team application was a disgrace,and the managers interview afterwards was shocking,unforgivable,IMO.

Feel the same. I'll never be able to understand or accept how 10 outfield players can offer up such a gutless, passive performance in a cup final.

What is just as unacceptable though was the Manager's aftermatch comments. Still completely gobsmacked by them. Just as worrying as the performance.

cabbageandribs1875
24-05-2021, 01:03 PM
still a tad angry, angry most of our players just didn't appear to want it as much as i did, what an opportunity they've missed out on, what an opportunity our great club has missed out on, i just still can't stop thinking wtf they didn't burst a gut even after the penalty save kept us in it. i even turned over channels at FT and still haven't watched/listened to anything about the game since Saturday.

Hanlon
Stevenson
Porteous(yep him as well)
Macey...for the saves

are excluded from my angry at the players list

Baader
24-05-2021, 01:03 PM
Really despondent. Just can't understand how we could perform like that in what was such a big game. Desperate stuff. In what, by all accounts, has overall been a good season to end it like that on such a low seems typical Hibs.

Onion
24-05-2021, 01:09 PM
Nothing we can do about that game now, so no point in fretting over it.

Main thing for me is that Hibs Board and particularly the Owner understand what a huge opportunity that was (a 1 in a 30/40 year event) and how badly the manager & players let us down. I hope Ron has higher aspirations and standards for the team and is not satisfied with 3rd place and a meek defeat in a Cup Final. To do that, we need to sign winners and get shot of those who think they've made it. With some clever trading in the summer, that's entirely possible.

Since90+2
24-05-2021, 01:10 PM

Agree.

Jack Ross just seems a very steady, grounded and controlled character in general (which in most situations in life is a good thing). He doesn't to my untrained eye to be someone who would be a particularly great motivator but he is clearly a good coach and understands the game of football well.

If he was to stay at ER for the next 5 years we will likely be top 3 or 4 for almost all of them but he's probably not going to be winning any cups.

Danderhall Hibs
24-05-2021, 01:12 PM
I think we finished 3rd as he’s built the 3rd best squad in the country.

Over the course of a season if you have better players than your opposition and organise them well enough then you will likely win enough games to see you do well, Ross deserves credit for that.

In one off matches though, a team that is really up for it and plays with fire in their belly will beat a placid team just going through the motions. St Johnstone have obviously struggled to play with that intensity all season, for one off matches they can raise their game.

Can we ever raise our game or do we just play at the one level consistently and for the most part that’s been enough this season?

Fair enough - can’t deny that was the case on Saturday.

I suppose what St Johnstone have done this season is similar to what we done in the “boy band” days. Raising our game inconsistently. Winning the cups while doing so being the 1 big difference of course.

hibeerealist
24-05-2021, 01:20 PM
yeah. It was horrible.

Simples, Jack Ross does NOT think he or his players let anyone down, unbelievable as that may seem to you, me and many other Hibs fans that IS a fact!

JeMeSouviens
24-05-2021, 01:22 PM
Fair enough - can’t deny that was the case on Saturday.

I suppose what St Johnstone have done this season is similar to what we done in the “boy band” days. Raising our game inconsistently. Winning the cups while doing so being the 1 big difference of course.

St Johnstone had a season of 2 halves. Really struggled at the start and in December, but since the turn of the year they've been very consistent. Only lost four times, one each to Sevco and Aberdeen, twice to Celtc and obvs have won both cups.

JeMeSouviens
24-05-2021, 01:24 PM
Simples, Jack Ross does NOT think he or his players let anyone down, unbelievable as that may seem to you, me and many other Hibs fans that IS a fact!

Which presumably means they did what he asked them to? Keep it tight, play it safe, stay in shape, hope for a break? :confused:

JimBHibees
24-05-2021, 01:27 PM
We've played 4-4-2 for most of the season and certainly the last few months. We played 3-5-2 against them in the League Cup semi and it didn't work any better.

I totally agree with your overall point about our lack of a game plan but the formation stuff for me is less important. It's the fact we didn't change much during the game - especially Boyle's position - and the fact we just seemed to think if we "played our own game" we'd come out on top. Completely played into their hands again.

We needed a high energy approach and quick passing to exploit gaps. Instead we thought that laboured passing in our own half would work for some reason.

Personally don't think we have looks to me like three centre backs most of the season McGinn Porto and Hanlon.

He's here!
24-05-2021, 01:47 PM
I’m still disappointed but any anger I felt dissipated fairly quickly. It’s a negative emotion, to keep it going for any length of time takes effort, life’s too short. Or maybe I’m just to lazy to put the work in. :greengrin
This has been a season like no other. I can’t say I’ve watched many games that have come close to replicating the passion that crowds induce in normal times. That’s not making excuses for anything but compared to other years any records of achievement or failure will carry a large imaginary asterisk for me.
We have decent foundations to build on, I’d rather start looking forward. . Jack Ross may not be he most exciting manager we have ever had but I do trust him to take a cold clinical look at what’s needed to take us out of the summer transfer window in a stronger position to achieve the success we all desire.

GGTTH :thumbsup:

I'd say it's harder NOT to keep it going, so hats off to you for being able to shake it off quickly. In most other walks of life I can probably rationalise things better but shockers like Saturday (as I've just mentioned on another thread) are different because when it comes to Hibs your emotions are entirely in the team's hands.

He's here!
24-05-2021, 01:56 PM
Agree.

Jack Ross just seems a very steady, grounded and controlled character in general (which in most situations in life is a good thing). He doesn't to my untrained eye to be someone who would be a particularly great motivator but he is clearly a good coach and understands the game of football well.

If he was to stay at ER for the next 5 years we will likely be top 3 or 4 for almost all of them but he's probably not going to be winning any cups.

And yet on paper (ie when you boil it down to cold hard stats) his cup record with us is excellent and probably better than any manager in the country bar Davidson. He's got us to at least the last four of every cup competition he's been in charge for. On that basis you could argue he's very much knocking on the door of a cup win.

It's the calibre of the opposition and the nature of the defeats that count against him so yes, maybe when it comes to making that final step he's lacking something when it comes to motivational skills.

NAE NOOKIE
24-05-2021, 03:32 PM

Sums it up for me as well. It's almost like a ..... 'what was that it?' .... feeling, as if we are still waiting for the game to happen. Kind of like one of these films you can't wait to see at the pictures because everybody is saying how brilliant it is and it turns out to be somewhere between ok and 'what was all the fuss about?' In fact you enjoyed the 'B' feature better.

I genuinely think that feeling is being fostered by the fact that our team just didn't turn up, no near things, no 30 yarder off the post or bar, no miraculous goal line clearances by an overworked heroic St Johnstone defence, no MOM performance by their goalie. It was like one of these comedy scenes where a huge guy puts his hand on a wee guys head and holds him off laughing as the wee guy vainly tries to land a punch .... On Saturday Hibs were that wee guy. It was so pathetic it hardly even justifies the effort of anger and outrage.

Some clubs, like Liverpool for example, have a big flag showing their umpteen domestic and European cup successes. Perhaps we should make one with pictures of all the cups we could have won after reaching the final, but all of them inside a red circle with a red line through it ..... Lets face it, when you have lost an appalling 19 of the 25 cup finals you have reached it's gonna have to be a hell of a big flag :bitchy:

weecounty hibby
24-05-2021, 03:37 PM
I think I'm over it and then someone brings it up and I start to talk about the game and how I've seen Hibs losing too many finals but none in such an abject, weak, disinterested manner and I start to get really really angry again. 🤬🤬🤬 What an opportunity to have probably the bestvseason from hibs side since the 50s. 3rd in the league and a Scottish Cup win would have sealed 100% legendary status on that group. To put in such a performance was unbelievable

Fratelli
24-05-2021, 04:06 PM
The feeling today is far stronger than merely being 'more irritated' than I was on Saturday!

For a squad of players (save 1 or 2) AND the management team to collectively underperform on such a scale, in a Scottish Cup Final, has left me both raging and trying to fathom just how it went so spectacularly wrong.

Make no mistake, some of the more culpable players, assuming they are not sold, will find it hard to recover in the eyes of the vast majority of the Hibs support and I do worry what the reaction will be when fans are back at ER and players start turning in poor performances; it could get quite toxic...

Jack Ross and his coaching team knew exactly what to expect from St Johnstone but were found wanting once more and that is unforgiveable.

We need a strong start to the season, otherwise JR will not survive as his plain soundbites will have a hollow ring to it; you can get away with them when you are at the top end of the table, but not if you are struggling.

Time will tell...

WhileTheChief..
24-05-2021, 05:00 PM
Instantly forgettable. Turned off as soon as the final whistle went. Didn’t even see the cup getting presented.

Since then I haven’t looked at a paper, listened to the radio or watched anything at all to do with the game. Not heard any interviews or seen any Tweets and not interested in the slightest.

I’ve checked in hear now and again for a brief look but other than that it’s as if it never happened.

Before the game I couldn’t get enough, was so enthusiastic about everything Hibs. Now I’m pretty much done with Hibs until after the Euros I think.

Can’t see any action in the transfer windows before then so will just wait for a fresh start next season. Hopefully at ER.

Danderhall Hibs
24-05-2021, 05:03 PM
Instantly forgettable. Turned off as soon as the final whistle went. Didn’t even see the cup getting presented.

Since then I haven’t looked at a paper, listened to the radio or watched anything at all to do with the game. Not heard any interviews or seen any Tweets and not interested in the slightest.

I’ve checked in hear now and again for a brief look but other than that it’s as if it never happened.

Before the game I couldn’t get enough, was so enthusiastic about everything Hibs. Now I’m pretty much done with Hibs until after the Euros I think.

Can’t see any action in the transfer windows before then so will just wait for a fresh start next season. Hopefully at ER.

I done the exact same with the exception of coming on here which has definitely not made me feel better.

Sammy7nil
24-05-2021, 05:07 PM
Good point but there's a world of difference between pretending something didn't happen for whatever reason and it actually existing in fact.

Are you still haunted or irritated by 5-1 or 4-0 I could not give a Smurf. 2016 made the that irrelevant. Hearts fans will quickly forget Brora and Hibs performances like Saturday will help them immensely.

It is really only what happened recently that counts that is why the last semi defeat sticks with me more or the fact they won twice at ER despite being relegated.

Col2
24-05-2021, 05:09 PM
Still raging. Time will help and distraction of EUROs but that result has set us back physiologically and will continue to hang over our current manager like it did at Sunderland and now Hibs. Every big defeat will move him closer to the door.

A decent signing or three might help.

Bostonhibby
24-05-2021, 05:27 PM
Are you still haunted or irritated by 5-1 or 4-0 I could not give a Smurf. 2016 made the that irrelevant. Hearts fans will quickly forget Brora and Hibs performances like Saturday will help them immensely.

It is really only what happened recently that counts that is why the last semi defeat sticks with me more or the fact they won twice at ER despite being relegated.Nope, don't really think about them much especially given how the 5-1 Hearts success was funded.

The Brora result stands out because folk like to refer to giant killing cup shocks, like Berwick beating the now defunct Glasgow rangers, the BBC start every FA cup year with a nice wee shot of Hereford knocking out Newcastle.

Hearts fans will definitely want the biggest shock in Scottish cup history to go away. It grates with my yam Brother in law who described it as humiliating.

I do agree we gave them something to celebrate even if they played no part in it.

I guess it'll be easier to pretend Brora never happened if no one reminds them, just like admin and relegation. It hurts.

hibee-boys
24-05-2021, 05:32 PM
I’m ready for a break from Hibs, still spewing about that pathetic performance. I never even celebrated when Macey saved that penalty as I just knew we weren’t up for it and would never win the game. Season ticket bought for next season and I’m sure that my hibs mojo will return by then, a few new faces will help the cause. I’m sick of listening to the will they/won’t they transfer speculation so as long as we get decent income, and a reasonable amount is re-invested, I think it’s time to let Porteous and Nisbet go.

Myweebruv
24-05-2021, 05:45 PM

I'm with you 100%:agree:

superfurryhibby
24-05-2021, 05:46 PM
My rage levels are growing by the day.

hibee-boys
24-05-2021, 05:58 PM
Just listened to Jacks post match BBC interview for the first time. Thankfully it’s the end of the season because if I hear about ‘fine margins’ once more I may self combust with rage. There was no fine margins involved in that performance, it was 90mins of weak, passionless football. One shot on target over 90mins, against St Johnstone, deary me Jack that had zero to do with fine margins.......I’m away to kick the cat!

.......I’ll need to find the neighbours as I don’t have a cat.

pacorosssco
24-05-2021, 06:08 PM
More irritated by the min. What did they work on all week? Why play the same way that didn't work before. Subs all wrong. No fight no desire.

flash
24-05-2021, 06:09 PM
Could be worse. Imagine being a Killie fan tonight.

Dashing Bob S
24-05-2021, 06:17 PM
No point in denying it, this was the worst ever cup final performance I've seen from a Hibs team. Absolutely no desire whatsoever. You have to step up take the cup, and we had no leaders out there and certainly no heroes. The only player that I would make an exception here was Matt Macey with his double save, but even that failed to inspire our timid and pedestrian outfielders.

We know St Johnstone are dedicated and organised but they never for one heartbeat had to rise above mediocrity to take the cup.

That's just not acceptable.

Hibs1969
24-05-2021, 07:14 PM
Sums it up for me as well. It's almost like a ..... 'what was that it?' .... feeling, as if we are still waiting for the game to happen. Kind of like one of these films you can't wait to see at the pictures because everybody is saying how brilliant it is and it turns out to be somewhere between ok and 'what was all the fuss about?' In fact you enjoyed the 'B' feature better.

I genuinely think that feeling is being fostered by the fact that our team just didn't turn up, no near things, no 30 yarder off the post or bar, no miraculous goal line clearances by an overworked heroic St Johnstone defence, no MOM performance by their goalie. It was like one of these comedy scenes where a huge guy puts his hand on a wee guys head and holds him off laughing as the wee guy vainly tries to land a punch .... On Saturday Hibs were that wee guy. It was so pathetic it hardly even justifies the effort of anger and outrage.

Some clubs, like Liverpool for example, have a big flag showing their umpteen domestic and European cup successes. Perhaps we should make one with pictures of all the cups we could have won after reaching the final, but all of them inside a red circle with a red line through it ..... Lets face it, when you have lost an appalling 19 of the 25 cup finals you have reached it's gonna have to be a hell of a big flag :bitchy:

No point in denying it, this was the worst ever cup final performance I've seen from a Hibs team. Absolutely no desire whatsoever. You have to step up take the cup, and we had no leaders out there and certainly no heroes. The only player that I would make an exception here was Matt Macey with his double save, but even that failed to inspire our timid and pedestrian outfielders.

We know St Johnstone are dedicated and organised but they never for one heartbeat had to rise above mediocrity to take the cup.

That's just not acceptable.

Sadly you’re absolutely spot on. Even the 2012 final doesn’t compare to Saturday in that not many of us really expected us to get anything out of that game, whereas Saturday was a real missed opportunity. I’ve read a lot that the players let us down and I don’t disagree with that but for me the main culprit was and still is Ross. We’ve played them 6 times this season and still haven’t worked out how to play against them, leading me to ask what did he and the coaching team spend last week doing? It certainly want working on a formation or tactics that’s for sure.

GreenCastle
24-05-2021, 07:33 PM
I agree with other posters that I really don’t think the players knew the possible significance of the game. Surely some of the current squad would have made it clear ?

I’m in the nearly doesn’t feel real camp - it was that bad that some of the players have really annoyed me.

I would love to see the stats of how many times players touched the ball and what they did with it. Boyle for example - hardly touched it. Doidge ? ETC.

I felt the warning signs were there when the Hallberg story came out midweek. He was obviously not happy being dropped so a story came out about him leaving.

The way Porteous was screaming and his body language really didn’t look a happy back line. Compare to when Daz played everyone looked relaxed and settled.

Gogic also has been in really good form and also subbed when he was picking up some 2nd balls - more than others.

Who knows when we will get to a cup final next - what I do know is we have to improve as a team / squad and that’s before losing several players.

The 2016 cup winning squad looks even better now and looked mentally tougher than the current lot.

Is It On....
24-05-2021, 07:42 PM
The feeling today is far stronger than merely being 'more irritated' than I was on Saturday!

For a squad of players (save 1 or 2) AND the management team to collectively underperform on such a scale, in a Scottish Cup Final, has left me both raging and trying to fathom just how it went so spectacularly wrong.

Make no mistake, some of the more culpable players, assuming they are not sold, will find it hard to recover in the eyes of the vast majority of the Hibs support and I do worry what the reaction will be when fans are back at ER and players start turning in poor performances; it could get quite toxic...

Jack Ross and his coaching team knew exactly what to expect from St Johnstone but were found wanting once more and that is unforgiveable.

We need a strong start to the season, otherwise JR will not survive as his plain soundbites will have a hollow ring to it; you can get away with them when you are at the top end of the table, but not if you are struggling.

Time will tell...

I agree with that. Mr Ross is a difficult start to the season away from being hounded out. An earlier poster in this thread used to word "abject" to describe the performance on Saturday and I think that sums it up; Abject "absolutely miserable, the most unfortunate, with utter humiliation."

JJP
24-05-2021, 07:47 PM
I was more disappointed than angry. Might be because the game played out exactly as I suspected it would (although I didn’t expect we would create so few chances). Always suspected we would be wasteful in front of goal, have most of the ball and concede when St Johnstone got a chance. I think we have all seen the same scenario play out over and over again. I only thought we had a chance when Macey made that great double save. I really thought he may have inspired his team mates with that one. Ah well. Bring it on again next season.

S4uzee
24-05-2021, 08:53 PM
Must admit for me it’s one of the hardest losses to take, don’t know what it is, it just felt like a bad dream at the final whistle.

How can it get better supporting Hibs? We had the opportunity to win at least one trophy and we just can’t do it

flash
24-05-2021, 08:54 PM
Could be worse. Imagine being a Killie fan tonight.

Didn't expect that to turn out so true.

h1bs4life
24-05-2021, 09:11 PM
Was absolutely raging yesterday , hangover didn't help.
Today still angry , dragged my sorry arse to the gym to try and get some normality back and then drove down to Leith Walk to put a wad of money back into bank that I thought would have needed to celebrate 2nd cup win in 5 years .
Leith was a sorry looking place and got more annoyed , the lift the whole of the area would have got with another Scottish Cup win can't be underestimated .
The area would have been buzzing pubs would have been full of celebrating Hibs fans instead it was the usual suspects hanging about outside the Spey and the Central.
More annoyed now with Ross that he couldn't beat ****ing StJohnstone
the amount of revenue he has cost the club with potentially more season tickets and all the Scottish Cup merchandise is unbelievable .
Like most Hibs families we would have spent a fortune in the shop on anything to do with the Scottish Cup.
He has already saved me £100 and probably enough to go 2 holidays next year.
Agree with others if he has not gone he is only 1 or 2 bad results away from getting hounded have no confidence in him

Brightside
24-05-2021, 09:14 PM
Was absolutely raging yesterday , hangover didn't help.
Today still angry , dragged my sorry arse to the gym to try and get some normality back and then drove down to Leith Walk to put a wad of money back into bank that I thought would have needed to celebrate 2nd cup win in 5 years .
Leith was a sorry looking place and got more annoyed , the lift the whole of the area would have got with another Scottish Cup win can't be underestimated .
The area would have been buzzing pubs would have been full of celebrating Hibs fans instead it was the usual suspects hanging about outside the Spey and the Central.
More annoyed now with Ross that he couldn't beat ****ing StJohnstone
the amount of revenue he has cost the club with potentially more season tickets and all the Scottish Cup merchandise is unbelievable .
Like most Hibs families we would have spent a fortune in the shop on anything to do with the Scottish Cup.
He has already saved me £100 and probably enough to go 2 holidays next year.
Agree with others if he has not gone he is only 1 or 2 bad results away from getting hounded have no confidence in him

You went back to the bank to put money back in? Eh? And then he's saved you £100 and enough for 2 holidays??

h1bs4life
24-05-2021, 09:34 PM
You went back to the bank to put money back in? Eh? And then he's saved you £100 and enough for 2 holidays??

Try reading the post already saved me £100 plus me spending a fortune buying everything and anything to do with a Scottish Cup win in the club shop and elsewhere like I did in 2016.

Brightside
25-05-2021, 06:52 AM
Try reading the post already saved me £100 plus me spending a fortune buying everything and anything to do with a Scottish Cup win in the club shop and elsewhere like I did in 2016.

I think you’ve made the whole thing up tbh.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-05-2021, 07:57 AM

I've done much the same.

snedzuk
25-05-2021, 11:35 AM
Just listened to Jacks post match BBC interview for the first time. Thankfully it’s the end of the season because if I hear about ‘fine margins’ once more I may self combust with rage. There was no fine margins involved in that performance, it was 90mins of weak, passionless football. One shot on target over 90mins, against St Johnstone, deary me Jack that had zero to do with fine margins.......I’m away to kick the cat!

.......I’ll need to find the neighbours as I don’t have a cat.

Have you been arrested for kicking the neighbours yet

Stuart93
25-05-2021, 01:19 PM
I’m unsure how I feel about complete silence from hibs on social media since Saturday and their first tweet/post since is asking for people to buy ST’s...bit of a brass neck.

Unsure how much difference it would’ve made but even a follow up interview with JR/players/Mathie talking about how disappointed they are about Saturday and how they’re going to strive to better it next season might’ve been better. Just anything to acknowledge how poor Saturday was and to let the supporters know the feeling in the camp. Complete silence followed by a plea for supporters to buy ST’s is poor.

S4uzee
25-05-2021, 01:32 PM
I’m unsure how I feel about complete silence from hibs on social media since Saturday and their first tweet/post since is asking for people to buy ST’s...bit of a brass neck.

Unsure how much difference it would’ve made but even a follow up interview with JR/players/Mathie talking about how disappointed they are about Saturday and how they’re going to strive to better it next season might’ve been better. Just anything to acknowledge how poor Saturday was and to let the supporters know the feeling in the camp. Complete silence followed by a plea for supporters to buy ST’s is poor.

They can say they will strive to do better but what will it achieve? They don’t care as evidenced on Saturday

Stuart93
25-05-2021, 01:39 PM
They can say they will strive to do better but what will it achieve? They don’t care as evidenced on Saturday

As I said I don’t know what difference it would’ve made but some acknowledgement to it would’ve been better than nothing

He's here!
25-05-2021, 02:03 PM
As I said I don’t know what difference it would’ve made but some acknowledgement to it would’ve been better than nothing

As you say, it makes little difference when clubs/players come out and 'apologise to the fans' after a particularly awful result/display because we all know deep down that there will be another terrible display coming down the track in the not too distant future.

However, the scale of the letdown on Saturday was bigger than most and I'm very surprised the club haven't seen fit to at least hold their hands up and admit they let everyone down big style. Unless they actually think the performance wasn't that bad, which I find hard to believe.

The Captain....
25-05-2021, 02:17 PM
Still bitterly disappointed with the abject performance on Saturday. Players really let the fans down..not that they will be particularly bothered as they keep doing it over and over again.

Something other than the players freezing went on imo, there just seemed a very flat atmosphere in the build up. Maybe just looking for excuses but it was such a timid, passionless display its hard not to think maybe something was going on behind the scenes.

Regardless its scunnered me with Hibs til next season.

B.H.F.C
25-05-2021, 02:33 PM
Three days on and I wouldn’t say I’m any more angry but I’m still completely shocked by it. It actually feels like it never happened given how much of a non event it was.

I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to figure out how a bunch of players can approach a cup final the way we did.

matty_f
25-05-2021, 02:51 PM
Three days on and I wouldn’t say I’m any more angry but I’m still completely shocked by it. It actually feels like it never happened given how much of a non event it was.

I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to figure out how a bunch of players can approach a cup final the way we did.

:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
25-05-2021, 04:21 PM

I agree although all it would’ve done is open it up to a barrage of abuse. Maybe if replies could’ve been shut off they could’ve said something?

Magpie
25-05-2021, 04:25 PM
After losing to Hearts and St Johnstone earlier in the season I feel as though I have managed to get over Saturday a lot quicker. If I took off my green glasses before the game and judged the previous meetings between us this season and how we have performed in the ‘bigger’ games then I would have favoured St Johnstone to win.

truehibernian
25-05-2021, 04:36 PM
I've reduced from boil to simmer to be honest. I just hope that the three defeats, and that cup final showing in particular, convinces the management team to expand the squad and adopt a more killer instinct approach. The mentality of both the team and management has to change. Supporters will always accept defeat if the team goes down fighting - they won't accept a Saturday performance or the the kind of after match comments Jack made.

Glory Lurker
25-05-2021, 05:03 PM
Still completely scunnered with them. Wish the Euros started this weekend to give me something else to think about, football-wise.

Pagan Hibernia
25-05-2021, 05:43 PM

this is where I’m at too.

what even was that we watched on Saturday? I’m just completely bemused by it all.

Stuart93
25-05-2021, 06:11 PM
I agree although all it would’ve done is open it up to a barrage of abuse. Maybe if replies could’ve been shut off they could’ve said something?

Aye could’ve done something like that. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter but might’ve been a nice touch to acknowledge the disappointment in some way.

WeeRussell
25-05-2021, 08:18 PM
Yep - but it took me a few days to log onto hibs.net 😁

Andy74
25-05-2021, 08:48 PM

Aye, I’ve still no idea what I watched.

The reactions afterwards from the manager and players have just added to the bemusement.

Maybe I imagined they were a winnable game from being legends or that it mattered to them in any way.

I’m not that bothered if I ever see any of them again right now.

B.H.F.C
25-05-2021, 08:54 PM
Aye, I’ve still no idea what I watched.

The reactions afterwards from the manager and players have just added to the bemusement.

Maybe I imagined they were a winnable game from being legends or that it mattered to them in any way.

I’m not that bothered if I ever see any of them again right now.

That last sentence is exactly where I am.

I thought, once I took some of the emotion out of it, I’d feel a bit differently. But I don’t. If players can go in to a cup final with that attitude then I really don’t care about seeing a single one of them in a Hibs top again. As for Ross’s take on it, what concerns me is that I think that was his genuine take on it rather than him just trying to protect his players after a shocker of a performance.

bingo70
25-05-2021, 09:04 PM
That last sentence is exactly where I am.

I thought, once I took some of the emotion out of it, I’d feel a bit differently. But I don’t. If players can go in to a cup final with that attitude then I really don’t care about seeing a single one of them in a Hibs top again. As for Ross’s take on it, what concerns me is that I think that was his genuine take on it rather than him just trying to protect his players after a shocker of a performance.

I got over it this afternoon/early evening.

I don’t care about any player leaving but I always think that anyway. I can’t be arsed getting all worked up about players leaving, it’s always going to happen anyway so there’s no sense in worrying about it.

The managers a funny one and well covered elsewhere. On paper doing a good job but i think he falls into the same category as the players for me. One concern on that front though is Kilmarnocks fall from grace since Clarke left. There’s very little between all the teams in Scotland outside the top 2 so all it takes is a couple of bad appointments and we could find ourselves in the same situation as them.

What will be will be, looking forward to seeing what the team is like next season, whoever is in it.

givescotlandfreedom
26-05-2021, 12:35 PM
Still raging. The players didn't bother their backsides and the manager thought it the way we did was acceptable. I can handle losing but that's unforgivable in a cup final.

superfurryhibby
26-05-2021, 01:10 PM
Still angry about Saturday.

This has been the worst cup final loss for me and I've seen many. What makes it harder to take is that this was as good a chance to lift the Scottish Cup as any.

We've had worse results, but it was the lack of passion and the fact that the side we were playing were so one dimensional.

Right now I'm not sure I'll ever allow myself to care as much about Hibs again. I'm scunnered with it all.

Stuart93
26-05-2021, 01:16 PM
I’m not sure I can be arsed with the hibs twitter admin tweeting about #thisisourcity a few days after the team embarrassed themselves at Hampden

****ing save that pish.

Since452
26-05-2021, 01:34 PM
I’m not sure I can be arsed with the hibs twitter admin tweeting about #thisisourcity a few days after the team embarrassed themselves at Hampden

****ing save that pish.

Agreed. Tweeting Man City etc. We are all still pissed off and don't want to see the Hibs twitter guy try and be funny. Far, far too soon.

Stuart93
26-05-2021, 01:48 PM
Agreed. Tweeting Man City etc. We are all still pissed off and don't want to see the Hibs twitter guy try and be funny. Far, far too soon.

Yep, there’s a time and place for comedy and smart quips on social media and right now is not the time

Everything about the club just now is giving off the feeling that they don’t understand just how big an opportunity has been passed up

marinello59
26-05-2021, 01:51 PM
Yep, there’s a time and place for comedy and smart quips on social media and right now is not the time

How long does this period of Official Mourning last and should we wear black?

Allez Hibs
26-05-2021, 01:53 PM

Everything about the club just now is giving off the feeling that they don’t understand just how big an opportunity has been passed up

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

SteveHFC
26-05-2021, 01:54 PM

****ing save that pish.

He really is a embarrassment.

The club need to have a word with him.

Stuart93
26-05-2021, 01:54 PM

Longer than 4 days. Hibs scarves round your * is the dress code I’m afraid

JimBHibees
26-05-2021, 02:39 PM

😄

h1bs4life
26-05-2021, 03:52 PM
I think you’ve made the whole thing up tbh.

Good one made it up , maybe you shouldn't think so much.
Still gutted was expecting a bit of stick when back at work but nothing just one comment what happened youse never turned up . .
Even the whatsapp groups I am in have been quiet ,most are Hibs fans but even the Hertz fans have been quiet despite the stick they have taken over the last year or so.
Yet another kick in the henry haws from Hibs no doubt as the season gets closer will get the enthusiasm back and head up to Easter Road thinking will not get let down again

S4uzee
26-05-2021, 04:02 PM
Still angry about Saturday.

This has been the worst cup final loss for me and I've seen many. What makes it harder to take is that this was as good a chance to lift the Scottish Cup as any.

We've had worse results, but it was the lack of passion and the fact that the side we were playing were so one dimensional.

Right now I'm not sure I'll ever allow myself to care as much about Hibs again. I'm scunnered with it all.

Totally how I feel too. Can’t think of anything that will get me excited about Hibs as this was such a big opportunity.

Glad it’s end of season as need a break and can’t face looking at or hearing from any of those heartless players or management team

NadeAteMyLunch!
26-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Still absolutely raging today. It’s now hitting me in waves though rather than 24/7

flash
26-05-2021, 05:15 PM
Still absolutely raging today. It’s now hitting me in waves though rather than 24/7

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

superfurryhibby
26-05-2021, 05:19 PM
Totally how I feel too. Can’t think of anything that will get me excited about Hibs as this was such a big opportunity.

Glad it’s end of season as need a break and can’t face looking at or hearing from any of those heartless players or management team

It'll pass, until then solidarity.

Fergos
26-05-2021, 06:11 PM

I feel we are starting to miss LD. Id also say that if she was still here Im quite sure nobody would be popping champagne post match last Saturday....just my opinion.

GGTTH

Shrekko
26-05-2021, 11:23 PM

Like a few others I completely agree with this - one of the most surreal experiences I’ve ever had and it’s not quite sunk in yet. Completely inexplicable. I’d become quite fond of this team- partly because I felt some of the criticisms given to them by a section of our support were so ludicrous. Saturday felt like a complete betrayal after wanting to stick up for them all year.

Not sure if some of those players will ever be able to make up for this and I’d now be happy to see the back of at least a few.

Since452
27-05-2021, 05:27 AM
Starting to feel more gutted than angry now. Huge Opportunity missed. A feel good factor all summer gone. The city and the club would have been absolutely buzzing. You'd think at my age I'd have been used to Hibs letting us down by now but I guess not. Hopefully a good European trip will help a bit.

He's here!
29-05-2021, 08:52 AM
Starting to feel more gutted than angry now. Huge Opportunity missed. A feel good factor all summer gone. The city and the club would have been absolutely buzzing. You'd think at my age I'd have been used to Hibs letting us down by now but I guess not. Hopefully a good European trip will help a bit.

A week on and that's the bit that's left me still feeling flat. As others have suggested, I think it would have been better to have lost in an earlier round of the cup and gone into the close season on the back of beating Aberdeen to confirm third place. That would have made up for the earlier cup exit and had us all upbeat about next season.

Perhaps if the cup final had been a thrilling end-to-end draw where we'd perhaps ended up a man short due to injury but given it our all and lost on penalties I might feel different, but it was the dreadful, soul sapping non performance which has left me grimacing every time I think about it.

Crunchie
29-05-2021, 09:09 AM
A week on and that's the bit that's left me still feeling flat. As others have suggested, I think it would have been better to have lost in an earlier round of the cup and gone into the close season on the back of beating Aberdeen to confirm third place. That would have made up for the earlier cup exit and had us all upbeat about next season.

Perhaps if the cup final had been a thrilling end-to-end draw where we'd perhaps ended up a man short due to injury but given it our all and lost on penalties I might feel different, but it was the dreadful, soul sapping non performance which has left me grimacing every time I think about it.
And if yer granny had hee haws she'd be yer granda :na na:. Yer right tho, another kick in the teeth is hard to take given the circumstances and how good we know that team CAN play.

We are a resilient bunch us Hibby's and we go again :aok:

Greenbeard
29-05-2021, 09:12 AM
Woke up this morning and immediately thought back to the excited anticipation I had on waking up last Saturday. I wished we could rewind a week. Then I thought for a few seconds more and quickly told myself no, I wouldn't want the likelihood of having to endure another 90 mins of Hibs being outplayed, out-thought, out-run and many other outs by a team of journeymen.

blackpoolhibs
29-05-2021, 09:17 AM
One week on and i'm already looking forward to Europe. :party::party:

Jones28
29-05-2021, 09:38 AM
One week on and i'm already looking forward to Europe. :party::party:

Absolutely. Despite the disappointment of last week it’s still a good time to be a Hibs fan. We have a lot to look forward to, an owner who is clearly ambitious and a manager who is just as gutted as we are at missing out on the cup. We are in a good position going in to a transfer window with money to spend and the opportunity to entice quality with European football.

Real Emerald
29-05-2021, 09:45 AM
I’m consoling myself with the thought that if we had won the cup it would have been a complete non event compared to the last time. Rather win it being there in a packed Hampden and all celebrations of the parade on the Sunday, on a sunny day. 😂 Clutching at any straw I can find.