PDA

View Full Version : Big Clearout needed

spike220
24-05-2021, 04:13 AM
We need to cash in our chips and rebuild.
Have not seen as passion-less performance since Matt Doherty pulled on a shirt for us.

Invest in young hungry kids and use McGregor, lewis and Grey to mentor them. The rest can all get their dream move down south, to the back-passers paradise. Entice some hungry promising raw young players with European football and rebuild.

I still like the look of Booth and know he wasn't in a good space for a few years, but he reminded me what we are missing. Not suggesting we bid for him though.

We need hunger back in this squad, simple as that!

SChibs
24-05-2021, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure I agree with that. Despite the result and performance on Saturday this squad finished 3rd which was the priority at the start of the season. Everyone will agree the squad isn't perfect but rather than a complete overhaul I think 3 or 4 quality additions is the way to go.

Ideally we would reinvest any fees to replace the departing player, sign a proven goalscorer to compete with Doidge and Nesbitt. If Allan is not going to be fit enough to start/play every game then a quality playmaker in the middle of the park is also required. I think with a full pre season behind him Magennis will prove himself to be a valuable member of the squad too.

We've seen from Hearts over the last few years the rebuild and scattergun every summer doesn't work.

Jones28
24-05-2021, 07:40 AM
I'd lose no sleep over Irivne not staying. I really haven't seen enough from him to suggest we should be falling over ourselves to sign him. Having said that he hadn't kicked a ball in months before signing for us so I guess a bit of bedding in time was deserved. I'd rather get Campbell in but it would appear that ship has sailed.

Greenbeard
24-05-2021, 07:53 AM
I'd lose no sleep over Irivne not staying. I really haven't seen enough from him to suggest we should be falling over ourselves to sign him. Having said that he hadn't kicked a ball in months before signing for us so I guess a bit of bedding in time was deserved. I'd rather get Campbell in but it would appear that ship has sailed.
Irvine seems to have flattered to deceive. First few games when he was "rusty" he showed great promise and I think we all thought he would improve the more he played. But in fact he seems to have regressed. Should have been the first one hooked from midfield on Saturday. Has missed three or four chances in the last few weeks which you would expect any decent footballer to bury. So I agree, I'll not lose sleep if he isn't here next season. But we don't need a big clear out. WE found the perfect way to beat the Sheep. We just need to find a way to beat Saints! What a season we would have had if our last four matches vs them had been 1-0 wins instead of losses.
We already have the players to do that. My finger is pointing at JR. Overall he gets plus marks, but a big minus vs Saints.

Since452
24-05-2021, 07:54 AM
A clear out is the last thing we need. We have a great foundation to build on.

danhibees1875
24-05-2021, 07:58 AM
I don't think a big clearout is the answer - over the course of the season we've done well and shouldn't lose sight of that.

Our squad may look a bit different if our hand is forced when/if bids come in for Doig, Porteous, Boyle, and Nisbet though. We'll just have to see.

We've got macey to be our #1, and Mackay coming in upfront - hopefully we'll see more from Magennis, Murphy, and Allan next year too compared to what they had the chance to offer us this season.

We've got the foundations of a good squad there and with 1/2 additions we'll be competing for 3rd and the cups again - overhauling the squad at this point would be reckless.

KingPat4
24-05-2021, 08:33 AM
I don't think a big clearout is the answer - over the course of the season we've done well and shouldn't lose sight of that.

Our squad may look a bit different if our hand is forced when/if bids come in for Doig, Porteous, Boyle, and Nisbet though. We'll just have to see.

We've got macey to be our #1, and Mackay coming in upfront - hopefully we'll see more from Magennis, Murphy, and Allan next year too compared to what they had the chance to offer us this season.

We've got the foundations of a good squad there and with 1/2 additions we'll be competing for 3rd and the cups again - overhauling the squad at this point would be reckless.

Agreed. There's Cadden to come back too. I will be happy if we pull in a few million for the players mentioned and start by bringing in Griffiths - tin hat on - and Jason Kerr. (Added bonus is he is a big Hibbie).

The performance on Saturday was so bad it was almost surreal, I cannot fathom what the hell went on inside the manager and players heads.

But it's gone now and though it will hurt for a while yet, life goes on. It is what it is. I think the bones have been picked dry, we have to move on.

:flag:

Onion
24-05-2021, 09:08 AM
Don't see a major overhaul but think Saturday has just sealed the transfers of Nesbit, Porteous and Doig - all for different reasons. Not convinced Irvine is the best we can do in his position but we need to hold onto the likes of Boyle & Doidge. They are two players who normally give 100% and are capable of raising their game if surrounded by better players.

hibeedonald
24-05-2021, 09:10 AM
No clear out needed. We need Griffiths, and possibly sell Nisbet

Danderhall Hibs
24-05-2021, 09:16 AM
It depends on who we sell.

Definitely loads of room to improve - we need to freshen up the squad with numbers to cover us in Europe. Midfield isn’t great - lack of goals and creativity- not fussed if Irvine goes. I think Newell is over rated as well.

If Boyle and or Nisbet go we’ve got a load of goals to replace so need midfield to start chipping in.

Gatecrasher
24-05-2021, 09:20 AM
I don't think a big clear out is needed but I agree we should cash in on some players, Nisbet and Porteous are the two I would look to get a decent fee as I believe we can find just as good replacements. We should try to hold onto Doig if we can but an offer may be to good to refuse. Irvine can go as well he's been a disappointment and not had the impact we were hoping for. I feel we really missed out on Mcrorie.

CMurdoch
24-05-2021, 10:51 AM
A clearance would be stupidity so won't happen.
Unfortunately we could now be out of Europe by the time the league season starts at the end of July so we won't need to be stocking up a big squad early for that now.

I suspect the new winger Mackay was brought in early because the club know Boyle will be leaving. One other player may be sold and the money for both will finance 3-4 new starters. Stephen McGinn and Marciano won't return and SDG will only play for Hibs in circumstances such as he played this season.

We don't know if Irvine will be here next season but we have a massive number of midfielders to add to the current team and new players can't come in unless others leave. Hopefully after a good pre season the fringe midfielders almost all of whom were coming back this season from bad injuries will step up.
That's Cadden, Magennis, Wright, Allan, Mallan, Mackie and even Murphy. That is a big chunk of midfielders so again no ins for midfield without outs.

The young guys including Gullan and Murray will also return to pre season for assessment.

In conclusion no clearance but expecting a handful of outs and 3 good starters in over the summer.

MWHIBBIES
24-05-2021, 10:52 AM
Absolutely not.

A few players to strengthed the squad, a real quality forward and midfielder, and replace whoever leaves.

sleeping giant
24-05-2021, 10:58 AM
A clear out is the last thing we need. We have a great foundation to build on.

Voice of reason.

147lothian
24-05-2021, 11:08 AM
Do we need a clearout? No The league table doesn't lie.

We do however seriously need to strengthen the midfield, we have got away with it over the season with the form of Doige Nisbet and Boyle, but to give them the service they need we have to go for players of the ilk of Campbell Motherwell, or even Power Kilmarnock IMO

CMurdoch
24-05-2021, 11:14 AM

We do however seriously need to strengthen the midfield, we have got away with it over the season with the form of Doige Nisbet and Boyle, but to give them the service they need we have to go for players of the ilk of Campbell Motherwell, or even Power Kilmarnock IMO

Power was 33 in January so that ship has sailed

147lothian
24-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Power was 33 in January so that ship has sailed

Very true but he is the type of player we really could have done with on Saturday and depending on the result tonight he could be available, we would probably not get any more than a season out of him still worth a one year contract IMO.

theonlywayisup
24-05-2021, 11:35 AM
We need to cash in our chips and rebuild.
Have not seen as passion-less performance since Matt Doherty pulled on a shirt for us.

Invest in young hungry kids and use McGregor, lewis and Grey to mentor them. The rest can all get their dream move down south, to the back-passers paradise. Entice some hungry promising raw young players with European football and rebuild.

I still like the look of Booth and know he wasn't in a good space for a few years, but he reminded me what we are missing. Not suggesting we bid for him though.

We need hunger back in this squad, simple as that!

When I read the thread topic, I though "what a load of ****". However, I kind of get what you mean Spike.

For me, and I've thought this for a while, we've a midfield that lacks energy and creativity when playing the better more organised teams. It's okay when we're playing against teams that gives our players space (I include Celtic and The Rangers in those teams), but we struggle against teams like St. Johnstone and the Hertz.

On Saturday, and in other games, Newell lacked any urgency to break forward, instead playing the ball back or sideways, or to run back to plug gaps - don't get me wrong, I like Newell but he needs to be better than Saturday. The same can be said for many of our central midfield players and I include Halberg, Mallan and Irvine in that group. They neither drive our team forward nor are able to impose themselves on a stuffy midfield. A fit Allan could have made a difference, but he's not getting any younger

I'm happy with our defence and I'm happy with our attack, but we need a clear-out in midfield. I think that Halberg, Mallan and Irvine will be away anyway, so it's going to happen. We just need to make sure that they are replaced by the young and energetic individuals that you mention.

Not In The Know
24-05-2021, 11:46 AM
No clear out needed.

But previously i was hesitant about selling Porto and Doig but after Saturdays performance by the team it wont make much difference if they go.

Jones28
24-05-2021, 11:48 AM

Very true but he is the type of player we really could have done with on Saturday and depending on the result tonight he could be available, we would probably not get any more than a season out of him still worth a one year contract IMO.

Just bear in mind he's playing for his team tonight in the relegation play off. I think we need to aim higher, Campbell is aiming a lot higher.

loanheadhibby
24-05-2021, 11:49 AM
Agreed. There's Cadden to come back too. I will be happy if we pull in a few million for the players mentioned and start by bringing in Griffiths - tin hat on - and Jason Kerr. (Added bonus is he is a big Hibbie).

The performance on Saturday was so bad it was almost surreal, I cannot fathom what the hell went on inside the manager and players heads.

But it's gone now and though it will hurt for a while yet, life goes on. It is what it is. I think the bones have been picked dry, we have to move on.

:flag:

I agree on paper, Kerr looks like he would be a decent signing for us. However, we've been down this road so many times and very rarely do players show the same form at Hibs as they do their current clubs. Look at Halkett for the puddle drinkers. Looked a player at livi and now looks like a right huddy.

CMurdoch
24-05-2021, 11:51 AM

He is one of only 4 players that Kilmarnock currently have under contract for next season so they will want to hold on to him tightly.

Cod Boy
24-05-2021, 11:53 AM
Starting with the manager

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-05-2021, 11:53 AM
No clear out needed. People will leave , and where we can , we should try to replace with as good, or better. Over the period of the season , Aberdeen will be the competition for us again for third. If we can stay ahead of them , we can kick on and achieve third next year again. That has to be the target for next season.

Since452
24-05-2021, 11:55 AM
Baring in mind we'll have Cadden, Allan, Mallan back in the squad next season I think we are looking a strong bet for 3rd again next season. Might be a few leaving (including Mallan) but one or two players inward and we'll be fine. Said on another thread that Jack Ross will now know who doesn't have the character to play in games like Saturday.

Cod Boy
24-05-2021, 12:02 PM
I have a feeling Allan will be away unfortunately he isn’t a Jack Ross type of player.

CMurdoch
24-05-2021, 12:04 PM
No clear out needed. People will leave , and where we can , we should try to replace with as good, or better. Over the period of the season , Aberdeen will be the competition for us again for third. If we can stay ahead of them , we can kick on and achieve third next year again. That has to be the target for next season.

All depends on ins and outs but as things stand Hibs are favourites for 3rd.
Gallagher will be an improvement at the back for Aberdeen but Brown and JET for different reasons won't be the answer.
They have a few decent young players that they blooded towards the end of the season and they might improve things when mixed with the new players.
As ever time will tell but as things stand Glass doesn't fill me with confidence so they will be looking at 4th again.

Jones28
24-05-2021, 12:05 PM
Definite keep:

Macey
Doidge
Doig
Stevenson
Hanlon
McGregor
Cadden
Gogic
McGinn
Allan - hopefully a good pre-season will see him right.
Murphy
Magennis
Gullan

Cash in on

Boyle
Nisbet
Porteous
Doig - if the offer is very good, circa £4million.

Meh

Newall - doesn't do what he has done nearly often enough
Hallberg - failed to hold down regular spot
Mallan - ditto Hallberg
Irvine - I haven't seen anything like enough from him, hes had time to show it too, certainly not worth breaking the bank for.

So out of my 'keepers' I've got a team of (442 diamond):

Macey
Cadden/McGinn McGregor Hanlon Doig/Stevenson
Gogic
Magennis Murphy
Allan
Doidge Gullan

Coco Bryce
24-05-2021, 12:06 PM
I have a feeling Allan will be away unfortunately he isn’t a Jack Ross type of player.

Yeah. A skilful playmaker.

wookie70
24-05-2021, 12:09 PM
No clearout for me. The foundation is good and I think this season, in terms of signings, was about getting in quality players who would either bring in some cash on resell or provide the backbone of the squad for the next few years. That was achieved for me.

Our big problem this year was drive and goals from the middle of the park and cover for our front two. Irvine was close to being the drive and goals and he could easily have got 8-10 goals given the chances he missed. I'd be fine if we could get him as long as he was not too expensive and I would get another midfielder who has legs. Another two strikers needed for me. Having only two central strikers was always going to be a stupid decision and losing 1-0 in a Cup Final with no striker to through on is ridiculous for a club of our size.

chrisski33
24-05-2021, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=KingPat4;6577935]Agreed. There's Cadden to come back too. I will be happy if we pull in a few million for the players mentioned and start by bringing in Griffiths - tin hat on - and Jason Kerr. (Added bonus is he is a big Hibbie).

:flag:[/QUOT

Kerr wont be signing for us at the moment

BoomtownHibees
24-05-2021, 12:20 PM

He played pretty much every game under JR when fit

Tyler Durden
24-05-2021, 12:21 PM
When I read the thread topic, I though "what a load of ****". However, I kind of get what you mean Spike.

For me, and I've thought this for a while, we've a midfield that lacks energy and creativity when playing the better more organised teams. It's okay when we're playing against teams that gives our players space (I include Celtic and The Rangers in those teams), but we struggle against teams like St. Johnstone and the Hertz.

On Saturday, and in other games, Newell lacked any urgency to break forward, instead playing the ball back or sideways, or to run back to plug gaps - don't get me wrong, I like Newell but he needs to be better than Saturday. The same can be said for many of our central midfield players and I include Halberg, Mallan and Irvine in that group. They neither drive our team forward nor are able to impose themselves on a stuffy midfield. A fit Allan could have made a difference, but he's not getting any younger

I'm happy with our defence and I'm happy with our attack, but we need a clear-out in midfield. I think that Halberg, Mallan and Irvine will be away anyway, so it's going to happen. We just need to make sure that they are replaced by the young and energetic individuals that you mention.

RE the midfield, it's a bigger problem than individuals IMO. We don't pass the pall with any intensity or zip. The only time we really play at pace is when we're releasing Boyle or Nisbet on the break.

It's worked for us overall in the league but when we're tasked with breaking down a defensive team who sit deep, we struggle to change from the usual game. Our passing was terrible in the semi final and against Aberdeen for me and Saturday was just a continuation of that.

Danderhall Hibs
24-05-2021, 12:23 PM
He played pretty much every game under JR when fit

You need to stop using facts mate.

itslegaltender
24-05-2021, 12:51 PM
If Someone is offering £3 million plus for Doig, we have to take it. £3 million for a left back at his standard/consistency just now is a no brainer. Same with Porteous. if we can get £1.5 million for him, we can get new players in that would improve the team with that kind of money (totally understand we wouldnt spend probably a quarter of it mind you).

Jim44
24-05-2021, 12:59 PM
No big clear out for me. If one or two of Irvine ( no renewal of contract ), Doig, Nisbet, Porteous or Boyle go for decent money, I’m fine with that. However, if by some chance they all moved on, I would be seriously concerned. Despite the reaction to the defeat on Saturday, to lose them all in one fell swoop would be suicidal.

truehibernian
24-05-2021, 01:12 PM
No big clear out for me. If one or two of Irvine ( no renewal of contract ), Doig, Nisbet, Porteous or Boyle go for decent money, I’m fine with that. However, if by some chance they all moved on, I would be seriously concerned. Despite the reaction to the defeat on Saturday, to lose them all in one fell swoop would be suicidal.

Depends Jim, if we lose Boyle and Nisbet which is on the cards, you lose goals and assists of course, but you get a lot to invest in three or four hungry players - and a real opportunity to get Leigh back.

Losing Porteous wouldn’t faze me a bit, I’m disappointed with his concentration levels and his inability to learn from his mistakes - which are too often leading to goals. For me we need a new centre half pairing, and that’s not anything against Hanlon either, but he’s not got real captaincy or leadership traits which that position of the pitch needs for me.

Midfield is the worry - lack of goals and lack of drive in there, with too many having the same characteristics and none with the ‘out your seat’ factor.

Big summer window ahead for Mathie and Ross.

Inconsequential
24-05-2021, 02:56 PM
Definite keep:

Macey
Doidge
Doig
Stevenson
Hanlon
McGregor
Cadden
Gogic
McGinn
Allan - hopefully a good pre-season will see him right.
Murphy
Magennis
Gullan

Cash in on

Boyle
Nisbet
Porteous
Doig - if the offer is very good, circa £4million.

Meh

Newall - doesn't do what he has done nearly often enough
Hallberg - failed to hold down regular spot
Mallan - ditto Hallberg
Irvine - I haven't seen anything like enough from him, hes had time to show it too, certainly not worth breaking the bank for.

So out of my 'keepers' I've got a team of (442 diamond):

Macey
Cadden/McGinn McGregor Hanlon Doig/Stevenson
Gogic
Magennis Murphy
Allan
Doidge Gullan

No place for the new boy Daniel MacKay? Newall is meh but has he not just signed a new contract? Your team gives me the fear! :greengrin

Saint Hibee
24-05-2021, 03:03 PM

If Scott Allan isn't Jack Ross's type of player, then we need shot of Jack Ross. We were crying out for Allan's creativity on Saturday.

MWHIBBIES
24-05-2021, 03:03 PM
If Scott Allan isn't Jack Ross's type of player, then we need shot of Jack Ross. We were crying out for Allan's creativity on Saturday.

Allan played every week before his illness. He will play again next season.

Jones28
24-05-2021, 03:06 PM
No place for the new boy Daniel MacKay? Newall is meh but has he not just signed a new contract? Your team gives me the fear! :greengrin

I didn't think it was fair to include him with that lot. :greengrin

He has, I was just saying that if he wanted to leave for whatever reason I would lose no sleep over it.

147lothian
24-05-2021, 03:42 PM
I would like to see Mallan given a proper chance next season

chippy
24-05-2021, 03:43 PM
No clearout for me. The foundation is good and I think this season, in terms of signings, was about getting in quality players who would either bring in some cash on resell or provide the backbone of the squad for the next few years. That was achieved for me.

Our big problem this year was drive and goals from the middle of the park and cover for our front two. Irvine was close to being the drive and goals and he could easily have got 8-10 goals given the chances he missed. I'd be fine if we could get him as long as he was not too expensive and I would get another midfielder who has legs. Another two strikers needed for me. Having only two central strikers was always going to be a stupid decision and losing 1-0 in a Cup Final with no striker to through on is ridiculous for a club of our size.

Sensible post but would just add another central defender, two if Porto goes

jeffers
24-05-2021, 03:46 PM
Allan played every week before his illness. He will play again next season.

Not convinced he will. If Ross rated him so highly he’d have found a way of getting him some game time with us this season, not allow him to go on loan.

Jim44
24-05-2021, 04:57 PM
I would like to see Mallan given a proper chance next season

I thought he was very unlikely to be with us next season. :dunno:

EI255
24-05-2021, 06:16 PM
Good time for Porteous to move on.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Stuart93
24-05-2021, 06:18 PM
Good time for Porteous to move on.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

100%. If we can still get approx £1.5m for him I’d rip a teams arm off for it

Especially if any cash could be used for cup double winning captain Jason Kerr who i’d reckon would jump at the chance to sign for us.

147lothian
24-05-2021, 07:01 PM
I thought he was very unlikely to be with us next season. :dunno:

Your probably right Jim, I think they have the option to buy and by all accounts he's had a good season over there.

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2021, 11:06 AM
I know he's scored a lot of goals for us and is going to the Euro's, but there is something about Nisbet that i dont rate, and i'd not be that sad to get a decent amount of money in and let Jack try and replace him.

I always think someone needs to give him a good shake, and make him wake up. :greengrin

Even Doig if he left for the type of money being quoted, i'd be quite confident we could get someone in to replace him and we wouldn't look any weaker.

Both players would be sold for their potential rather than for me what they are just now, although Nisbet has shown he can score a decent amount of goals so far.

I'm pretty relaxed about losing players this time, as i believe we have a manager who can spot a player and who will bring in more good players next season.

calumhibee1
25-05-2021, 11:16 AM
I know he's scored a lot of goals for us and is going to the Euro's, but there is something about Nisbet that i dont rate, and i'd not be that sad to get a decent amount of money in and let Jack try and replace him.

I always think someone needs to give him a good shake, and make him wake up. :greengrin

Even Doig if he left for the type of money being quoted, i'd be quite confident we could get someone in to replace him and we wouldn't look any weaker.

Both players would be sold for their potential rather than for me what they are just now, although Nisbet has shown he can score a decent amount of goals so far.

I'm pretty relaxed about losing players this time, as i believe we have a manager who can spot a player and who will bring in more good players next season.

I’m the same with Nisbet.

Strangely enough, I always think Shankland looks a better player even though the stats wouldn’t back that up. If Nisbet leaves then we should be going all out for him imo.

wookie70
25-05-2021, 11:27 AM

Booth is a better player than Doig is currently. We are selling potential with Josh and there looks to be plenty of it. To replace him at his current stage of performance would be easy enough imo. Much the same for Porteous. Finding 15-20 goals that Nisbet gives us is much harder to replace

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2021, 11:29 AM
Booth is a better player than Doig is currently. We are selling potential with Josh and there looks to be plenty of it. To replace him at his current stage of performance would be easy enough imo. Much the same for Porteous. Finding 15-20 goals that Nisbet gives us is much harder to replace

:agree:

I agree, finding a goalscorer is the hardest thing a manager can do.

Shrekko
25-05-2021, 12:01 PM

This is what you’re up against when trying to be rational. People not only making things up to suit their agenda but saying stuff that’s been proven as completely untrue.

Jack Ross started Scott Allan every week before his illness and stuck with him even when he wasn’t performing.

Shrekko
25-05-2021, 12:05 PM
I’m the same with Nisbet.

Strangely enough, I always think Shankland looks a better player even though the stats wouldn’t back that up. If Nisbet leaves then we should be going all out for him imo.

Not sure if he’s attainable but I agree. He’s proved himself to be an exceptionally hard working team player this season. Must have been a tough shift for him playing in this seasons Dundee Utd team but he stuck at it and did himself proud IMO.

Not convinced Nisbet would have shown the same attitude or level of performances under those circumstances and we do know that Shankland is a very good finisher when he was service.

147lothian
25-05-2021, 12:46 PM
This is what you’re up against when trying to be rational. People not only making things up to suit their agenda but saying stuff that’s been proven as completely untrue.

Jack Ross started Scott Allan every week before his illness and stuck with him even when he wasn’t performing.

That's the important bit, ok I'm as disappointed as anyone else about Saturday and it is questionable whether Scott Allan will be the player he was 3 or 4 years ago but there is no point in some posters making things up or using the old cliche "not a Jack Ross type player". I'm sure if he had different players at his disposal then different tactics would have been used, but we got through this season with a small squad and still achieved third in the league.

Take Saturday there was no one on the bench that Jack Ross could have brought on to change the way we played either up front or in midfield, Jack Ross has earned the right IMO to transform the team for next season and get the midfield sorted, at the end of next season will be the time to judge him not on the back of one game even if that game was a Scottish Cup final.

Northernhibee
25-05-2021, 12:58 PM
Even when you take hindsight into account putting Mallan and Allan out on loan made perfect sense. Both struggling to get minuted after returns from a long time out, wouldn’t have gotten the minutes and were able to get game time which is the only way that we may see them back at us.

The idea that either would have been a major part of our squad just isn’t accurate.

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2021, 01:47 PM
Even when you take hindsight into account putting Mallan and Allan out on loan made perfect sense. Both struggling to get minuted after returns from a long time out, wouldn’t have gotten the minutes and were able to get game time which is the only way that we may see them back at us.

The idea that either would have been a major part of our squad just isn’t accurate.

I slightly disagree with you here, Allan i understand fully, but we were light in numbers and another body available could have been handy even if it's Mallan.

I think it was him that wanted to go out on loan, maybe in hindsight it may have been better for us as a team/squad to deny him that?

Hibiza
25-05-2021, 02:12 PM
Need a quality right/ wing back .

wookie70
25-05-2021, 02:31 PM
I slightly disagree with you here, Allan i understand fully, but we were light in numbers and another body available could have been handy even if it's Mallan.

I think it was him that wanted to go out on loan, maybe in hindsight it may have been better for us as a team/squad to deny him that?

Our squad is and was paper thin. I think it was probably the players who wanted game time so the managers and club had little option but to allow them to go on loan. IT was mad to put Gullane out on loan without bringing anyone in too particularly with Murphy only fit half the time and Jamie being able to play there too. WE never even had full benches for games on quite a few occasions this year including the Cup Final. Covid will have had a part to play but I hope that isn't the case next year

madhatter
25-05-2021, 03:02 PM
Ofir Marciano (Gone)
Darren McGregor (Coaching more than playing next year?)
Tom James (Another loan or sold?)
Lewis Stevenson (Coaching the kids more than playing next year?)
David Gray (Coaching or moves to get more games?)
Sean Mackie (Released or another loan - needs to be first team player at a club)
Fraser Murray (Released or another loan - see above)
Jackson Irvine (Unsure what's going on)
Melker Hallberg (Never really made an impact - loan or sold?)
Stevie Mallan (Another loan or sold?)
Scott Allan (Fit and healthy enough for Hibs or needs to drop a level?)
Drey Wright (Loan or sold?)
Stephen McGinn (Signed as a coach for next season?)
Ryan Shanley (Another loan or good enough to be around first team?)
Jamie Gullan (Another loan or good enough to be around first team?)

Paddy Martin (Good enough to be 3rd choice?)
Dino Leddie (Good enough to be around first team?)
Callum Yeats (Good enough to be around first team?)
Josh Campbell (Another loan?)
Innes Murray (Another loan?)
Yrick Gallantes (Another loan?)

We have a lot of players that are question marks. There are youngsters that I'd like to see make a career rather than be perma-loans from Hibs until inevitably disappearing like Islam Feruz did at Chelsea. Some are early 20s and they still look some distance from competing in the first team. Then we have first team players that have essentially been emergency backup.

Clear out is maybe wrong word but we'll struggle to get past 2 games in Europe with anything similar to our current squad. Competition has been non-existent this season. We've got players signed up for next season that didn't provide competition this season, don't see why they'd be any better next season, through age or otherwise. We need significant player changes and assessment of youth of first team age.

All the above is a quick list I threw together. Not even including those that have interest - Doig, Nisbet and Porteous.

where'stheslope
25-05-2021, 03:28 PM
Can't believe that in a season we qualify for Europe, some want massive changes to the squad?
To many changes and the team may not be ready for the qualifying games!
Got to keep as many of our players as we can and those we lose, try and bring in even better if possible!!

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2021, 03:29 PM
Can't believe that in a season we qualify for Europe, some want massive changes to the squad?
Got to keep as many of our players as we can and those we lose, try and bring in even better if possible!!

Mad. :agree:

madhatter
25-05-2021, 03:35 PM

How many games have Darren McGregor, Lewis Stevenson, Tom James, David Gray, Sean Mackie, Fraser Murray, Scott Allan, Melker Hallberg, Stevie Mallan, Drey Wright, Stephen McGinn, Ryan Shanley and Jamie Gullan played for us? Maybe 10-15 between them all? I think 8 of them have been away on loan as well so in truth we've not had a squad.

There is a difference between squad and team.

We've seen a fairly successful team, not seen much of a squad.

Potty78
25-05-2021, 04:36 PM
Suppose it depends on who stays and who goes. Macey McGinn, Cadden,Hanlon, Gogic, Newell, Murphy, Magennis, McKay are defo gonna be here. The rest not so sure. Boyle, Porteous, Doig and Nisbet go then that's a good bit of rebuilding need doing

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2021, 04:53 PM
How many games have Darren McGregor, Lewis Stevenson, Tom James, David Gray, Sean Mackie, Fraser Murray, Scott Allan, Melker Hallberg, Stevie Mallan, Drey Wright, Stephen McGinn, Ryan Shanley and Jamie Gullan played for us? Maybe 10-15 between them all? I think 8 of them have been away on loan as well so in truth we've not had a squad.

There is a difference between squad and team.

We've seen a fairly successful team, not seen much of a squad.

Those players have over 150 appearences this season for Hibs

madhatter
25-05-2021, 05:05 PM
Those players have over 150 appearences this season for Hibs

150? You sure about that? I think included sub appearances it maybe reaches 100ish.

I'd be interested to know number of starts among those players.

Clear as day we have a decent starting line-up but zero options from bench.

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2021, 05:08 PM
150? You sure about that? I think included sub appearances it maybe reaches 100ish.

I'd be interested to know number of starts among those players.

Yes, over 150

Stevenson (28) McGregor (16) Hallberg (35) Gullan (20) Mallan (20) Drey Wright (28) Is already 147. Then you add Allan, Gray, McGinn, Shanley etc.

Since452
25-05-2021, 05:16 PM

I can only put it down to people being overly emotional about Saturday.

Northernhibee
25-05-2021, 05:18 PM
When was the last St Johnstone had a proper clear out?

madhatter
25-05-2021, 05:19 PM
Yes, over 150

Stevenson (28) McGregor (16) Hallberg (35) Gullan (20) Mallan (20) Drey Wright (28) Is already 147. Then you add Allan, Gray, McGinn, Shanley etc.

Jeez, just shows how much sub appearances skew stats.

Looking at that you'd think Stevenson, Hallberg and Drey Wright were mainstays in the team. They clearly weren't.

Not sure there really is a debate here - half the players I've listed have been away on loan for at least 1/2 the season and the others are pretty much emergency backups now.

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2021, 05:22 PM
Jeez, just shows how much sub appearances skew stats.

Looking at that you'd think Stevenson, Hallberg and Drey Wright were mainstays in the team. They clearly weren't.

Not sure there really is a debate here - half the players I've listed have been away on loan for at least 1/2 the season and the others are pretty much emergency backups now.

They are not emergency back ups, they are back ups, all teams have them, its called a squad albeit a thin one, but we know why that is.

madhatter
25-05-2021, 05:38 PM
They are not emergency back ups, they are back ups, all teams have them, its called a squad albeit a thin one, but we know why that is.

David Gray is surely more of an emergency backup, he's barely been on the pitch even when McGinn could've done with a break.

We barely rotated for cup games either.

McGregor, Gray and Stevenson are edging towards being emergency backups. Gray is already there in my eyes - we've already recruited Cadden.

Iain G
25-05-2021, 05:49 PM
Could Drey Wright end up at Killie next season?

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2021, 06:10 PM
David Gray is surely more of an emergency backup, he's barely been on the pitch even when McGinn could've done with a break.

We barely rotated for cup games either.

McGregor, Gray and Stevenson are edging towards being emergency backups. Gray is already there in my eyes - we've already recruited Cadden.

Do you know what, i just cant be bothered. :greengrin

madhatter
25-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Do you know what, i just cant be bothered. :greengrin

Fair enough, suit yourself.