PDA

View Full Version : Use the budget to sign a no 10 Ross, will you?

Scotty Leither
22-05-2021, 04:36 PM
Like a Latapy, or an Ally McLeod - in other words, a proper Hibs player that can dictate a game.

If I had a tenner for every time Newell passed it sideways/short/back today i'd have enough to buy me a season ticket for next year. We afforded a limited team (who have our number, by the way) far too much respect today, and he'd have been better saying that he got it spectacularly wrong against them again in his post-match interview, rather than "we've came from ninth place since I took over, we've done well to get to 3 semi finals", etc etc.

It's loser's talk and today we looked like we hoped to win rather than the cup was ours to lose, and when they went a goal up, we had a full hour to respond and we played at a pace more akin to a training match.

Not good enough Jack, sorry.

loanheadhibby
22-05-2021, 04:40 PM
We’ve got one. He was sitting in stand with a nice suit on. A decision which bit us on the bum.

Dalianwanda
22-05-2021, 04:50 PM
We’ve got one. He was sitting in stand with a nice suit on. A decision which bit us on the bum.

His decision

scoopyboy
22-05-2021, 05:02 PM
Like a Latapy, or an Ally McLeod - in other words, a proper Hibs player that can dictate a game.

If I had a tenner for every time Newell passed it sideways/short/back today i'd have enough to buy me a season ticket for next year. We afforded a limited team (who have our number, by the way) far too much respect today, and he'd have been better saying that he got it spectacularly wrong against them again in his post-match interview, rather than "we've came from ninth place since I took over, we've done well to get to 3 semi finals", etc etc.

It's loser's talk and today we looked like we hoped to win rather than the cup was ours to lose, and when they went a goal up, we had a full hour to respond and we played at a pace more akin to a training match.

Not good enough Jack, sorry.

There were a few times today we had the chance to go at them on the counter attack and Joe Newell slowed it right up.

Like too many of our players excellent when we are in front but not very good when behind.

scoopyboy
22-05-2021, 05:03 PM
His decision

correct

calumhibee1
22-05-2021, 05:04 PM
His decision

No, it’s Jack Ross’ decision.

Allan didn’t leave off his own back. He has to have permission to leave. It’s left us woefully short in terms of attacking options.

truehibernian
22-05-2021, 05:11 PM
There were a few times today we had the chance to go at them on the counter attack and Joe Newell slowed it right up.

Like too many of our players excellent when we are in front but not very good when behind.

All hindsight Scoopy, but I would not have started Newell. Just don't like the set up when it's him, Gogic, and Irvine, especially when Saintees were going to have an extra man in there. He's too languid, too slow, and for a player who was a wide player previously, needs to have confidence to drive forward. That said, I'm deeply unhappy at the midfielders we have at the club in the sense that they are all a bit 'samey' and there is no injection of pace in there. There is height, and some braun, but no real energy.

I'm just utterly baffled how a team that got 3rd, reached a final that was winnable, puts in such an abject performance and doesn't create a series of chances over 90 minutes. That was the worst cup final display I've seen from any side in years. I'm actually angrier than after the final with our neighbours, for at least there we had reasons within the game that went against us. Today, it was set up for a real go, from the first minute. The first 15 minutes I knew a loss was on the cards when we were intent on just keeping it safe, across the lines at the back, and not trying to penetrate. Saintees would have loved that approach.

scoopyboy
22-05-2021, 05:19 PM
No, it’s Jack Ross’ decision.

Allan didn’t leave off his own back. He has to have permission to leave. It’s left us woefully short in terms of attacking options.

It was blatantly obvious Calum that Jack Ross wasn't going to use him.

After he left did we really miss him, comfortable 3rd place in the end and through to the Cup Final.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong here but I don't think Scott Allan is the messiah everybody thinks he is going to be next year.

One of my favourite players in my 55 years of watching Hibs but I think through no fault of his own his best days are behind him.

Scotty Leither
22-05-2021, 05:22 PM
All hindsight Scoopy, but I would not have started Newell. Just don't like the set up when it's him, Gogic, and Irvine, especially when Saintees were going to have an extra man in there. He's too languid, too slow, and for a player who was a wide player previously, needs to have confidence to drive forward. That said, I'm deeply unhappy at the midfielders we have at the club in the sense that they are all a bit 'samey' and there is no injection of pace in there. There is height, and some braun, but no real energy.

I'm just utterly baffled how a team that got 3rd, reached a final that was winnable, puts in such an abject performance and doesn't create a series of chances over 90 minutes. That was the worst cup final display I've seen from any side in years. I'm actually angrier than after the final with our neighbours, for at least there we had reasons within the game that went against us. Today, it was set up for a real go, from the first minute. The first 15 minutes I knew a loss was on the cards when we were intent on just keeping it safe, across the lines at the back, and not trying to penetrate. Saintees would have loved that approach.

Nailed it, and nothing to do with hindsight, btw. A bit of "foresight" would have seen us go 3-5-2 against a team that'll quite happily surrender possession, safe in the knowledge that our build up will be so painful and slow that'll allow them to shuttle across in the hope that we lump it high, which we invariably did with the same predictable result.

Newell can go as far as i'm concerned, and we can recast the midfield with an absolute priority a playmaker brought in allied to a box-to-box midfielder like dare I say Rooney of St Johnstone at his side?

scoopyboy
22-05-2021, 05:24 PM

I agree with all of that.

The balance isn't right with the midfield. Maybe next season Kyle Magennis can provide the drive.

We relied too much as well on our three goalscorers, not enough goals from elsewhere

Northernhibee
22-05-2021, 05:26 PM
We are completely forgetting that Scott Allan has barely played in the last eighteen months and has been regaining his match fitness after a career threatening illness. Time for people to let go of the notion that he’s at this moment in time a game changer, we are still to find out what level he can still play at.

calumhibee1
22-05-2021, 05:44 PM
It was blatantly obvious Calum that Jack Ross wasn't going to use him.

After he left did we really miss him, comfortable 3rd place in the end and through to the Cup Final.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong here but I don't think Scott Allan is the messiah everybody thinks he is going to be next year.

One of my favourite players in my 55 years of watching Hibs but I think through no fault of his own his best days are behind him.

Yes, we did miss him.

We were screaming out for a player like him today and didn’t have it.

If Jack Ross wasn’t going to use him then that’s not Allan’s decision. He already said he felt fitter than ever. That decision is on Jack Ross, not Scott Allan.

loanheadhibby
22-05-2021, 05:47 PM
His decision

I assume so but surely Jack Ross had final say? We are paying his wages. He went away and played maybe 10 games.

Terrible decision at time, terrible decision now.

scoopyboy
22-05-2021, 05:49 PM
Yes, we did miss him.

We were screaming out for a player like him today and didn’t have it.

If Jack Ross wasn’t going to use him then that’s not Allan’s decision. He already said he felt fitter than ever. That decision is on Jack Ross, not Scott Allan.

How can you say we missed him? When's the last time you saw him play a decent game for us?

I watched him play three or four games for ICT and didn't stick out in the slightest.

You can be as fit as you want but that doesn't make you a football player simply because you are fit.

Hibiza
22-05-2021, 05:54 PM
Scott at 75% would have made a difference today.

scoopyboy
22-05-2021, 06:09 PM
Scott at 75% would have made a difference today.

Couldn't have been much worse but there have been games where has been poor as well.

It's all hypothetical I'm afraid.

Smartie
22-05-2021, 06:13 PM
How can you say we missed him? When's the last time you saw him play a decent game for us?

I watched him play three or four games for ICT and didn't stick out in the slightest.

You can be as fit as you want but that doesn't make you a football player simply because you are fit.

When St Johnstone scored their goal, who did you think was going to make the positive contribution in the final third to get us back into it?

We had a whole lot of plod and a bit of “huff and puff” but there was very little X factor.

Scott Allan may or may not be the answer but he has a drop of the shoulder, the ability to create a yard of space and an ability to weight a pass that other players can only dream of.

The issue he has now is between what his body is capable of doing and what his head thinks his body is capable of doing. He might be entering “impact player” territory and he might not be happy about it.

But if you’re a goal down with 20 to go in a cup final and you’re struggling to create, I’m surprised if anyone who has watched Scott Allan would think anything other than “he might help us get back in this”.

500miles
22-05-2021, 06:20 PM
Scott Allan might have made a difference today, but I think we would have been better served with 2 wingers stretching play than trying to play through such a congested St Johnstone defence.

Scotty Leither
22-05-2021, 06:23 PM
Scott Allan might have made a difference today, but I think we would have been better served with 2 wingers stretching play than trying to play through such a congested St Johnstone defence.

There's not a chance Ross will play with two wingers, mind you, our one recognised winger spent half his time 5 yards inside today and contributed nothing of note.

Inconsequential
22-05-2021, 06:29 PM
We are completely forgetting that Scott Allan has barely played in the last eighteen months and has been regaining his match fitness after a career threatening illness. Time for people to let go of the notion that he’s at this moment in time a game changer, we are still to find out what level he can still play at. Absolutely spot on. Scott hasn't exactly set the heather (of which there is plenty) on fire in Inverness. Sadly his top flight days may be over but I sincerely hope not as on his day he was a game changer.

madhatter
22-05-2021, 06:37 PM
We need legs in our team and balance. Midfield of Gogic and Newell with Irvine roaming in from the left is just a mess. Need a box to box midfielder still.

Mackay may help give us balance as Boyle being our only player of considerable pace makes us very one-dimensional. No coincidence that when Boyle plays poorly Hibs play poorly in attack.

A counter attack team with zero legs in midfield relies heavily on their attack, that’s proven in our stats. Virtually no goals from anybody outside of 3 players.

scoopyboy
22-05-2021, 07:11 PM
When St Johnstone scored their goal, who did you think was going to make the positive contribution in the final third to get us back into it?

We had a whole lot of plod and a bit of “huff and puff” but there was very little X factor.

Scott Allan may or may not be the answer but he has a drop of the shoulder, the ability to create a yard of space and an ability to weight a pass that other players can only dream of.

The issue he has now is between what his body is capable of doing and what his head thinks his body is capable of doing. He might be entering “impact player” territory and he might not be happy about it.

But if you’re a goal down with 20 to go in a cup final and you’re struggling to create, I’m surprised if anyone who has watched Scott Allan would think anything other than “he might help us get back in this”.

Given they had scored 46 goals between them possibly, Boyle, Nisbet or Doidge. Hindsight now tells me they didn't but surely it wasn't unreasonable at the time.