PDA

View Full Version : Josh Doig

h1bs4life
20-05-2021, 12:09 PM
Seen this on my Google news page

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/19316402.watford-talks-hibernian-move-josh-doig/

Mentions a £4 million deal suspect a lot of nonsense

Jones28
20-05-2021, 12:21 PM
I'd bite their hand off for £4million.

bingo70
20-05-2021, 12:28 PM

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/19316402.watford-talks-hibernian-move-josh-doig/

The fact it’s a local paper suggests to me that it could be closer to the truth than we might like to think.

If £4m is accurate I would guess that would be the end value after appearances and bonuses (not including sell on %) with the up front figure being significantly less.

gbhibby
20-05-2021, 12:31 PM
Clubs in the epl have paid more for players in championship and League 1. Clubs will see the potential in Josh. The more clubs in a bidding war the better for him and Hibs. Rangers got more than that for Alan Hutton

04Sauzee
20-05-2021, 12:36 PM
Looks like they have been talking about it on the Watford forums for a while

http://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/josh-doig.58326/

Maybe a local paper picking up a rumour from a fans forum? They wouldn't do that would they?

Nicho87
20-05-2021, 12:39 PM
I’d take £4 million up front
£1 million add ons
25% sell on

bingo70
20-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Looks like they have been talking about it on the Watford forums for a while

http://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/josh-doig.58326/

Maybe a local paper picking up a rumour from a fans forum? They wouldn't do that would they?

One of the reasons it made it onto their forums or Twitter pages (apologies if that’s covered in the link) is their director of football who does all their transfers started following Josh Doig on Instagram. I think that got people talking in the first instance.

Jim44
20-05-2021, 01:20 PM
A warning from Macey!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/how-hibs-offer-matt-macey-more-than-arsenal-could-as-keeper-warns-josh-doig-over-potential-big-move-3243361?fbclid=IwAR1h0CHS8qzMrgtmCVujP5UbWf2gWV6AL 3zEwOneGmnWwB71uPXEh7G93os

Brooster
20-05-2021, 01:43 PM
A few people have mentioned the Watford connection to me in the last couple of weeks.

Is It On....
20-05-2021, 02:32 PM

Remember, that if the fee is £4m, not all would be for Hibs as Hearts would be due a development fee of about 25p 😂

allezsauzee
20-05-2021, 03:34 PM
I don't think we should be in any hurry to sell. There are a number of bigger clubs credited with an interest and he's on a long term deal. £4 million plus add-ons gets you a seat at the negotiating table.

1van Sprou7e
20-05-2021, 03:56 PM
Based on Ron Gordon's comment I don't think we'll sell unless he really wants to go

Can see him sticking around for a while, we offer more in terms of development for him right now

hibbysam
20-05-2021, 03:59 PM
It’s the sort of figure I’d be expecting from English clubs now. They don’t have the luxury of signing young foreign players due to Brexit, therefore the value of our top young players should be soaring.

Michael
20-05-2021, 04:05 PM
I'd like to see him stay another year. When we sold Brown and McGinn for decent fees, they dominated most games in their final season. Would be good to see Doig at that level.

J-C
20-05-2021, 04:06 PM
Watford back in the big league so will have a few bob to spend I think we all expected Josh to be one that may leave in the summer, so £4M is a very decent amount for potential, lets hope this starts a wee bidding war with other suitors.

Oscar T Grouch
20-05-2021, 04:34 PM

Having read all that, I hope Scotland knock England out the Euros. £4m upfront with add on's if they want him.

Lago
20-05-2021, 04:54 PM
My main disappointment will be that both he & Kevin could leave having never played in front of the Hibs fans.

Tambo
20-05-2021, 05:28 PM
Josh knows he still has lots to learn as a footballer and I expect him to be here next season.

04Sauzee
20-05-2021, 05:30 PM
The Sun with another Hibs story. £2.5m up front

Hibs in transfer talks with Watford over sensational £4m deal for Josh Doig

https://t.co/axAVNmXqu5 https://t.co/RVez6M2oL7

60yearahibby
20-05-2021, 05:47 PM
Remember, that if the fee is £4m, not all would be for Hibs as Hearts would be due a development fee of about 25p 😂
Alan Preston on radio last week said that when Hickey signed for the tarts from Celtic the latter included 25% sell on clause. However when Hearts released Doig no such clause was included. He was quite critical of Hearts signing policies (assuming they have any). If true then any money Hibs get when Doig does go is all ours.

147lothian
20-05-2021, 06:08 PM
Win on Saturday and I don't think anyone will leave before Christmas unless it's an exceptional offer, higher that 4M.

Hibee Mac
20-05-2021, 06:09 PM
It's actually laughable how the Sun never has any transfer rumour about a Hibs player until days before our biggest games of the season.

Happens every year without fail.

hibsbollah
20-05-2021, 06:11 PM
Based on Ron Gordon's comment I don't think we'll sell unless he really wants to go

Can see him sticking around for a while, we offer more in terms of development for him right now

:agree: He’ll allow one of Nisbet and Doig to go, not both.

CMurdoch
20-05-2021, 06:14 PM
:agree: He’ll allow one of Nisbet and Doig to go, not both.

Losing Doig wouldn't hurt the team so much and would satisfy the money monster for another season.
However!
It is just media clickbait so could be a load bollocks.
I'm sure our experts at the club will have an idea of his ability which is removed from the media and fan chat both of whom tend to get a bit carried away.

Since452
20-05-2021, 06:17 PM
Another left back Lewis has seen off? 😉

tamig
20-05-2021, 06:19 PM
Alan Preston on radio last week said that when Hickey signed for the tarts from Celtic the latter included 25% sell on clause. However when Hearts released Doig no such clause was included. He was quite critical of Hearts signing policies (assuming they have any). If true then any money Hibs get when Doig does go is all ours.

I’m sure development fees only come into play if the developed player has been offered a contract by that club. He was let go by them so they won’t be due a penny. Lovely.

green day
20-05-2021, 06:29 PM
I’m sure development fees only come into play if the developed player has been offered a contract by that club. He was let go by them so they won’t be due a penny. Lovely.

100% right - in fact Preston mentioned that they hadnt offered him a contract last week - his point was that it should be standard practice for any player leaving the club as you have no idea how they will develop.

The Count
20-05-2021, 06:44 PM
100% right - in fact Preston mentioned that they hadnt offered him a contract last week - his point was that it should be standard practice for any player leaving the club as you have no idea how they will develop.

But he might sign the contract and for every Doig there will be hundreds that dont make it.Think Preston logic is not thought out properly.

Lago
20-05-2021, 06:50 PM
Losing Doig wouldn't hurt the team so much and would satisfy the money monster for another season.
However!
It is just media clickbait so could be a load bollocks.
I'm sure our experts at the club will have an idea of his ability which is removed from the media and fan chat both of whom tend to get a bit carried away.
However, as we saw Kevin is the one more likely to push for a move.

Torto7
20-05-2021, 07:11 PM
I can see why Watford are trying to move quickly. You rarely get an 18 year old who has his level of fitness, height, good technique and durability. If he develops as projected then Watford if they sign him are looking at a major asset. This could just be an early tester, the bigger boys might be waiting to see what develops with him.

Is It On....
20-05-2021, 07:15 PM

Are you seriously saying that Craig Levain misjudged Doig and JC? The guy is a footballing guru...and they were clearly never going to make a career out of football so why offer them contracts 💥

Greenworld
20-05-2021, 07:45 PM
4 million is an astonishing amount of money . However i beleive a 5 million bid with no sell on has been discussed and doig staying at Hibs on loan. EpL club with Thai owner 5 million up front would be a game changer for hibs . John mcginn has oped the eyes of english clubs to Hibs

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

bingo70
20-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Do players ever sign for a club and then get sent back to their previous club on loan for a season?

I can only think of that happening with a January signing?

mjhibby
20-05-2021, 08:06 PM
It's actually laughable how the Sun never has any transfer rumour about a Hibs player until days before our biggest games of the season.

Happens every year without fail.

Exactly. I’m sure the players will be winding Doig up at training. Nobody at hibs will be focussed on anything bar the final. Funny how it’s only the sun carrying these stories. I smell the brown stuff.

bingo70
20-05-2021, 08:11 PM
Exactly. I’m sure the players will be winding Doig up at training. Nobody at hibs will be focussed on anything bar the final. Funny how it’s only the sun carrying these stories. I smell the brown stuff.

It was the local watford paper that broke the story. Evening news are also running with it now as well.

Callum_62
20-05-2021, 08:16 PM
Why do folk think the sun newspaper are trying to unsettle Hibs?

Let's face it if the interest is true, the club and the player already know about it

Watford was mentioned ages ago on the private board

4 or 5 million is a massive sum of cash for someone Levein let walk coz he had Hickey infront of him.... [emoji849][emoji23]

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Jim44
20-05-2021, 08:25 PM

Let's face it if the interest is true, the club and the player already know about it

4 or 5 million is a massive sum of cash for someone Levein let walk coz he had Hickey infront of him.... [emoji849][emoji23]

Maybe they are, maybe they’re not, but a lot of folk are noticing that the timing of the ‘negative’ news is significantly increased at times when we are approaching important matches. Coincidence?:dunno:

JimBHibees
20-05-2021, 09:20 PM

maybe the journo can't stand Hibs has an agenda

MagicSwirlingShip
20-05-2021, 10:14 PM
Maybe the paper is looking for a way to sell copies in a cup final week with limited access to players.

Davy Mac
20-05-2021, 10:28 PM
Its been on the table for a while, £10k per week. Unbelievable amount of money for a great lad.

But there is a queue.

Kaff
20-05-2021, 10:49 PM
Its been on the table for a while, £10k per week. Unbelievable amount of money for a great lad.

But there is a queue.

Although not discussing any offers etc Joe Newell obviously alluding to it in his rundown of the squad and mentioning Josh going on to be a millionaire earning far more than all of them.
This will be an open 'secret' among the squad I'd imagine?

Edit. Any sale of Josh with no sell on fee would be madness imo.
He's every chance of being as valuable as Robertson or Tierney, the fact he's left footed adds on the 15% premium anyway

BILLYHIBS
21-05-2021, 07:25 AM
Daily Ranger reporting AC Milan interested this morning

Do we have a big game coming up?

jodjam
21-05-2021, 07:40 AM
Daily Ranger reporting AC Milan interested this morning

Do we have a big game coming up?

Do you think these reports are deliberately trying to unsettle Hibs? Are the media pro St Johnstone? Don’t think so

Reality is we finished third and are in a final. Some of our players are exciting to watch. Richer clubs will want them. We will take players we like from others

BILLYHIBS
21-05-2021, 07:53 AM
Do you think these reports are deliberately trying to unsettle Hibs? Are the media pro St Johnstone? Don’t think so

Reality is we finished third and are in a final. Some of our players are exciting to watch. Richer clubs will want them. We will take players we like from others
Don’t shoot the messenger :rolleyes:

Brightside
21-05-2021, 08:01 AM
Hopefully paper reports dont affect the players as much as it seems to affect the fans.. :greengrin There is nothing thats being disclosed that will come as new to any of the squad.

BILLYHIBS
21-05-2021, 08:04 AM
Hopefully paper reports dont affect the players as much as it seems to affect the fans.. :greengrin There is nothing thats being disclosed that will come as new to any of the squad.
Agree

Let’s win the Cup first

hibby rae
21-05-2021, 08:27 AM
What did Hickey go for?

Would be very funny if, after all the hype they had around him, we get far more for a player they punted. And the player also goes on to bigger and better things than the player they opted for.

Fergus52
21-05-2021, 08:28 AM
Do players ever sign for a club and then get sent back to their previous club on loan for a season?

It definitely happens abroad a lot, in leagues like Italy and Germany, when big clubs buy promising youngsters from smaller teams.

Can't think of many examples of it happening in the UK, but if he went somewhere like Arsenal or Leicester I think it would make sense for all parties.

04Sauzee
21-05-2021, 08:29 AM
What did Hickey go for?

To get away from Hearts 😁

Tambo
21-05-2021, 08:30 AM
Josh knows he still has lots to learn as a footballer and I expect him to be here next season.

Ok I maybe take the last part back if the paper talk is true.

If 4 million is the starting bid from the first team who probably have made a serious enquiry then maybe other teams will start a bidding war which Hibs could definitely not refuse.

Mr. Wonderful
21-05-2021, 08:30 AM

They're capitalising on the cup final hype with sensational headlines to get clicks.

These teams have all been interested for a while, it's not new info to the club or the player.

nonshinyfinish
21-05-2021, 08:32 AM

I don't have examples to hand to back it up, but my feeling is that this does happen a bit on the continent – possibly more common between clubs where one is a full-on feeder club?

It also happens a fair amount in Football Manager, which might be a bigger factor in how often it's suggested as a possibility for our players.

Hibbyradge
21-05-2021, 08:34 AM

They get a small percentage.

hibby rae
21-05-2021, 08:35 AM
To get away from Hearts 😁

Zing 👏👏

BSEJVT
21-05-2021, 08:36 AM
What did Hickey go for?

Would be very funny if, after all the hype they had around him, we get far more for a player they punted. And the player also goes on to bigger and better things than the player they opted for.

It would be even funnier if we then bought Hickey at substantially less cost as his replacement, can you imagine the seethe?

Hibbyradge
21-05-2021, 08:36 AM

There's something called a "solidarity payment" which applies regardless of whether a contract has been offered.

Hibbyradge
21-05-2021, 08:38 AM
Maybe they are, maybe they’re not, but a lot of folk are noticing that the timing of the ‘negative’ news is significantly increased at times when we are approaching important matches. Coincidence?:dunno:

When did Watford tell their local press?

Shrekko
21-05-2021, 08:47 AM
maybe the journo can't stand Hibs has an agenda

I don't think any journo worth his salt just wants to be making up stories simply because they don't like a club- it would hardly help their credibility or career.

People get their knickers in a twist far too much about this - the reality is that when a player ever gets asked about speculation on them they generally say that it's flattering and actually a real boost to them to be linked with big moves. It's not exactly going to harm us- may even help.

Kaff
21-05-2021, 09:04 AM
I don't have examples to hand to back it up, but my feeling is that this does happen a bit on the continent – possibly more common between clubs where one is a full-on feeder club?

It also happens a fair amount in Football Manager, which might be a bigger factor in how often it's suggested as a possibility for our players.

Rightly or wrongly I think the big clubs, like Arsenal for instance, would take a player like Josh into their own set up after spending something like £4/5m.
Although it's small in their budget its still a lot of money and to leave him at Hibs on loan would be to rely on us to coach and mentor him to the standard they'd want, without a close relationship I don't think they'd do that.
I'd expect a player like Josh to go into their system to get assessed, given a programme for fitness and strength building and after that perhaps they'd loan him to a suitable club for the level they would want him to improve to. For me the assessment would take at least till January window and loaned out then at the very earliest.

There is the new potential that our partnership with Brighton does encompass this assessment and trust to develop the player, this may be the main reason for engaging with Brighton.
A player is identified as EPL potential and instead of him leaving at 18/19 and getting lost in the system he can stay at Hibs in a home environment developing on schedule, Hibs get the benefit of maybe 2 more seasons while not losing out on the fee.
Just my thoughts on things

Sergio sledge
21-05-2021, 10:16 AM

I can only think of that happening with a January signing?Celtic did it with Ryan Christie I'm sure.

It is a big risk for clubs and I suppose it would very much depend on how close they see the player to first team contention and how much faith they have in the coaching at the selling club. It's more likely that they would farm the player out to a club they have links with like Brighton sending a player to us as they know the coaching set up and have confidence in it.

I could see it happening with Doig if an EPL club signed him because of his age and stage of development but it's probably pretty unlikely and mostly based on us fans wanting to have our cake and eat it.

EI255
21-05-2021, 10:23 AM
Good piece of business taking him from our friends in the west of the city [emoji4]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Irish_Steve
21-05-2021, 10:33 AM
They get a small percentage.

Do they though? I thought you only had to give a percentage or pay compo if you sign a young player direct from another club.

Wasn`t Josh a free agent as he had left Hearts completely?

Anyway, still funny that we will hopefully get five years of FOH contributions for a player deemed "not good enough" for the Fartz #bigteamsmallmentality

Is It On....
21-05-2021, 01:49 PM
Do they though? I thought you only had to give a percentage or pay compo if you sign a young player direct from another club.

Anyway, still funny that we will hopefully get five years of FOH contributions for a player deemed "not good enough" for the Fartz #bigteamsmallmentality

I think they got a bag of crisps and a few training bibs when Jason left. If Josh goes for anything like the number discussed then it could go up to a box of Monster Munch and some mitre footballs 💥

Hibbyradge
21-05-2021, 01:57 PM

Yes, they do.

Under FIFA rules that were introduced in 2001, any club involved in the education of a player aged between the ages of 12 to 23 is entitled to these payments whenever that player is involved in a cross-border transfer that involves a fee. Importantly, and often not appreciated by clubs, the rules remain in place throughout the entirety of the player’s professional career – so even if the player is transferred to an overseas club well in to the twilight of their career, a club involved in the education of that player even twenty years earlier would (subject to the 2001 implementation date) be owed money.

From here; http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2013/10/player-solidarity-payments-hidden-goldmine/

As I read it, it's the buying club that has to pay it.

HoboHarry
21-05-2021, 02:20 PM
According to the BBC, AC Milan and Brugge are also sniffing around.....

Jones28
21-05-2021, 02:37 PM
Are you seriously saying that Craig Levain misjudged Doig and JC? The guy is a footballing guru...and they were clearly never going to make a career out of football so why offer them contracts 💥

But remember he masterminded the development of Harry Cochrane, who is now hitting such heights as Dunfermline and being an unused Montrose substitute.

Just read on wikipedia as well that Levein withdrew him from the under 18's Scotland squad as he felt it would hamper his development :faf:

70KevinHFC62
21-05-2021, 02:38 PM
Yes, they do.

Under FIFA rules that were introduced in 2001, any club involved in the education of a player aged between the ages of 12 to 23 is entitled to these payments whenever that player is involved in a cross-border transfer that involves a fee. Importantly, and often not appreciated by clubs, the rules remain in place throughout the entirety of the player’s professional career – so even if the player is transferred to an overseas club well in to the twilight of their career, a club involved in the education of that player even twenty years earlier would (subject to the 2001 implementation date) be owed money.

From here; http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2013/10/player-solidarity-payments-hidden-goldmine/

I think this is the case of the developing club offer a contract of the same or higher value. I don’t the Flumps did so no fee to them at all

WhileTheChief..
21-05-2021, 02:42 PM
When did Watford tell their local press?

Watford Observer trying to unsettle us. Been doing it for decades. Pests.

WhileTheChief..
21-05-2021, 02:43 PM
Yes, they do.

He only crossed the city :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
21-05-2021, 02:46 PM
I think this is the case of the developing club offer a contract of the same or higher value. I don’t the Flumps did so no fee to them at all

This isn't a development fee. Its like a 1% compensation that all his former clubs between those ages will get.

Hibbyradge
21-05-2021, 02:58 PM

Solidarity payments don't need a contract to have been offered.

Hibbyradge
21-05-2021, 02:59 PM
He only crossed the city :greengrin

Right enough. I didn't notice that.

If he goes to Milan or Brugges however...

Hibbyradge
21-05-2021, 03:00 PM
This isn't a development fee. Its like a 1% compensation that all his former clubs between those ages will get.

Solidarity payments are a share of 5%.

theonlywayisup
21-05-2021, 03:28 PM
Am I missing something here!

If a player is developed by Club A, but is then released as happens all the time. The released player then leaves and joins Club B, excels and then is sold for a fee. Why should Club A get anything? I understand it would be different if Club B signs the player from Club A, so my comment only relates to those situations that the player is released.

Don't know the Doig situation! Was he released or did Hibs come in and offer him a better contract?

MWHIBBIES
21-05-2021, 03:32 PM
Solidarity payments are a share of 5%.

There you go. Good research :thumbsup:

MWHIBBIES
21-05-2021, 03:34 PM

If a player is developed by Club A, but is then released as happens all the time. The released player then leaves and joins Club B, excels and then is sold for a fee. Why should Club A get anything? I understand it would be different if Club B signs the player from Club A, so my comment only relates to those situations that the player is released.

Don't know the Doig situation! Was he released or did Hibs come in and offer him a better contract?

It doesn't really matter if they should or not. They do. Every club that he has been at between those ages gets a small cut. It is to help them develop more players.

70KevinHFC62
21-05-2021, 03:37 PM
Solidarity payments don't need a contract to have been offered.

Just confusing it with a development fee

Irish_Steve
21-05-2021, 06:19 PM

That`s far easier to understand than my post!

I still don`t fully understand the situation. I thought he had left Hearts completely. What would have happened if he hadn`t have found a club (us) straightaway, would Hearts still be entitled to a fee when he started playing again?

What if he had`ve gone to Junior football first? I think the Flumps have stuffed up badly here and it`s hilarious