PDA

View Full Version : Joe Newell

Peevemor
20-05-2021, 08:47 AM
... on his team mates :thumbsup:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/meet-my-team-mates-hibs-midfielder-joe-newell-offers-a-light-hearted-introduction-to-the-men-who-want-to-make-their-mark-at-hampden-3243416

Matt Macey: He’s not in my good books because he was abusing my golf earlier. He said that my handicap needs to be looked at and that I’m a lot worse than I think I am and that I’m all talk! I think he is just glad to be at a club where his team-mates talk to him. At Arsenal he said he had no friends!

Ofir Marciano: He hates losing. Especially at cards! A member of our card group, he’s a right moan when he loses but he is another good guy and he will be a big miss next season. I tell you what, though, we won’t miss his baggy white or cream tracksuits that make him look like an extra from Run DMC!

Paul McGinn: He got my vote for Player of the Year. He has been one of our most consistent and reliable players. Not the best looking or the best player in the McGinn family but he had his teeth done part way through the season and then scored a double against St Johnstone and he hasn’t stopped smiling!

David Gray: Our leader on and off the park, he looks out for us and sorts out everything from team meetings to the card totes, and no-one argues with him. I have seen how far he hits a golf ball and there is an angry man in there.

Ryan Porteous: A very, very old head on young shoulders and never shuts up! A die-hard Hibs fan, he’s our cheerleader! He’s had an incredible season and is a natural leader. He’s in charge of the music and he has some decent tunes, not just dance or chart stuff. Every now and then he throws in Deacon Blue or Ronan Keating!

Darren McGregor: The most intense man I’ve ever met. He can talk passionately and convincingly about anything - a table, your favourite animal. He’ll give you a half hour rundown and by the end you’ll agree with him even if it means completely changing your opinion. Great company, there’s never an awkward silence with Daz.

Paul Hanlon: One of the most under-rated players in the team. Like a lot of us I think he’s had one of the best seasons of his career and I think he should have had more Scotland recognition. He's a coach’s dream. Mr Consistent – even his haircut has been the same over the years!

Josh Doig: The baby of the group, he’s been unbelievable. Still cleans the boots but he’ll go to the top, become a millionaire and earn more than any of us. He goes bright red easily which is funny. Me and Nissy sit behind him in team meetings and when he gets praise, the redness creeps up his neck to his ears!

Lewis Stevenson: I sit between him and Doidgey in the dressing room and he is always apologising to people. The other day he accidentally hit his hand off my locker when I was nowhere near it and he still apologised to me. When I laughed, he said sorry for saying sorry!

Martin Boyle: Loves attention, he comes to life when he sees a camera. Has so much energy and I try to avoid him for the first half-an-hour as it’s a bit too much when you’re still sleepy. He winds up everyone else but there are photos of him being teacher’s pet and making the gaffer cups of tea.

Alex Gogic: The perfect example of never judging a book by it’s cover. He is a really, really nice guy, always smiling and positive. The only thing I can criticise is his dress sense, which isn’t the best.

Jackson Irvine: His dress sense is so out-there. He has what can only be described as a handbag and loves his retro gear and long socks and sandals. But he just doesn’t care what anyone thinks, which is a brilliant trait. Nice guy, well-educated and opinionated.

Christian Doidge: Mr Nice Guy, he’s one of my best mates. People think he is a beast because he is physical in matches but he is a scrawny Welshman who is a terrible golfer. He’s like one of those kids who loves every sport but is rubbish at them all. He just won’t accept he’s shocking!

Kevin Nisbet: A member of the card group, he moans about everything. It’s funny. His mental strength is amazing, though. He’s had a tough time but the way he has dealt is brilliant. A great guy, he’s proved himself this season. Even if he starts in the Euros, he won’t be fazed.

Melker Hallberg: A very quiet lad. He loves football, golf, gaming and his fiancee and isn’t bothered about much else. Usually very chilled but on the golf course and in some games he can get angry.

Kyle Magennis: Ginto is a little beast when it comes to pumping weights. He loves it. He’s a little tank, with a naughty, dark side.

Jamie Murphy: Good knowledge in football quizzes and I like hearing his stories about his old manager Nigel Clough. His food choices are bland and pretty childish, though. I’m sure he has smiley faces and fish fingers at home.

Drey Wright: In the quizzing and card groups, he looks like a 25 year-old man who has three kids and never looks like he’s had more than three hours’ sleep. He’s not the typical Londoner – not brash and leary.

Steven Bradley: He’s had a growth spurt lately but still looks 12. From what I’ve been told he is a typical Glasgow lad, with a bit of chat and a bit of attitude and I really like him. He reminds me a bit of me at his age. He has a lot of potential.

Hibbyradge
20-05-2021, 08:57 AM
Brilliant stuff.

Sounds like that's a happy squad.

MrSmith
20-05-2021, 09:00 AM
I like seeing stuff like that as really brings the team and fans together :flag:

wookie70
20-05-2021, 09:23 AM
What a great insight and an interesting read. Sometimes signing players like SDG and Daz etc have massive benefits to the squad even if not playing. The whole piece screams of a squad that is tight knit and are playing for each other. Well done Joe

JohnM1875
20-05-2021, 09:24 AM
Genuinely laughed out loud at a few of those! 😂 Great article from a great guy.

Be interesting to get his team mates views on him! Especially Doidge's

yerauldda
20-05-2021, 09:48 AM
I think it’s always so interesting to hear what players have to say about their teammates & very pleased to hear he chose McGinn as POTY.

If McGinn was 5 years younger and was more ‘fashionable’ we’d be looking at a £2m player.

Great to read though, he clearly loves it at Hibs.

Lendo
20-05-2021, 09:49 AM
I love **** like this

Jones28
20-05-2021, 09:49 AM
Superb, love stuff like this.

They used to do that in the matchday programme.

jacomo
20-05-2021, 09:58 AM
Genuinely laughed out loud at a few of those! 😂 Great article from a great guy.

Be interesting to get his team mates views on him! Especially Doidge's

Same. Great chat.

London Hibs FC
20-05-2021, 10:04 AM
Really enjoyed that, thanks for posting Peevemor :sauzee:

ahibby
20-05-2021, 10:04 AM
What a good read that was.

WeeRussell
20-05-2021, 10:12 AM
Quality stuff!

Alex Trager
20-05-2021, 10:26 AM
Enjoyable read.

Good to bring the fans and players together by getting the inside tract.

I am not surprised about the SDG stuff, even when he is smiling he looks raging

adam middlemass
20-05-2021, 10:38 AM
What a good read that was.
Yes love these, sounds like Sir David and Daz are making a big difference behind the scenes- nice to know:thumbsup:

Hibee Mac
20-05-2021, 10:50 AM
Class, this is the kind of stuff I miss from the Stubbs era. Always great to get more of a connection between the fans and players.

Joe seems like a funny guy, the Stevenson one in particular made me laugh [emoji23]

Since452
20-05-2021, 10:55 AM
Enjoyed that. Couple of real laugh out loud moments. Lewis apologising, can picture it.

Mango Man
20-05-2021, 10:58 AM
Enjoyed that. Couple of real laugh out loud moments. Lewis apologising, can picture it.

Hahaha, that bit really made me laugh, Lewis is just the best. Excellent wee article.

HendoDelivered
20-05-2021, 11:02 AM
Class 👏🏼

CMurdoch
20-05-2021, 11:02 AM
Discipline and professionalism have both improved since Ambrose and Stokes left Hibs.
Think the likes of Daz used to get very hacked off with them turning up late.
No covid breaches, no discipline issues etc.
All these things point to Hibs players and the club having a culture of professionalism.

Sean1875
20-05-2021, 11:18 AM
Joe seems sound as ****. One of the things that made our Scottish cup 2016 team so successful was that feeling that they were almost just like one big group of mates having a kick about so the chemistry was so good - getting the same vibe with this group as well :agree:

SaulGoodman
20-05-2021, 11:21 AM
The one about Doidge is hilarious.

Peevemor
20-05-2021, 11:23 AM
The one about Doidge is hilarious.

Yep, Paul McGinn too - ... Not the best looking ... but he had his teeth done part way through the season and then scored a double against St Johnstone and he hasn’t stopped smiling!

Largshibby
20-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Yep, Paul McGinn too - ... Not the best looking ... but he had his teeth done part way through the season and then scored a double against St Johnstone and he hasn’t stopped smiling!

Is there time to have them done again before Saturday?

et_hibby
20-05-2021, 12:42 PM
really good :thumbsup:

O'Rourke3
20-05-2021, 06:38 PM
Great post. Did burst out laughing at about 4 of those. Be great company if his stories ate all like this.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk