PDA

View Full Version : Copa Libertadores

twiceinathens
19-05-2021, 03:38 PM
Just heard a tale on Five Live concerning a South American Club from their South American correspondent. Didn't catch which one. Anyway this club was hit by Covid which reduced their playing squad by 20 individuals just before a crucial derby game. Included amongst the group were 4 goalkeepers. Thus they had to play a raw youngster in the match which they duly lost. So far so bad.
But now they had a Copa Libertadores (South American Champions League) tie to fulfil. To add to the disaster level teams had been allowed to register a squad of up to 50 to allow for just this situation. However the coach had dismissed this as unnecessary and register a squad of 32. This did not include the young goalkeeper who was therefore ineligible. A request for special dispensation was rejected. Thus a squad of 12 with no recognised goalkeeper.
Now I know this seems highly improbable but I was unable to catch the end of the broadcast so perhaps it was just a send-up. Anyone hear the same programme?

Greenbeard
19-05-2021, 03:56 PM
Just heard a tale on Five Live concerning a South American Club from their South American correspondent. Didn't catch which one. Anyway this club was hit by Covid which reduced their playing squad by 20 individuals just before a crucial derby game. Included amongst the group were 4 goalkeepers. Thus they had to play a raw youngster in the match which they duly lost. So far so bad.
But now they had a Copa Libertadores (South American Champions League) tie to fulfil. To add to the disaster level teams had been allowed to register a squad of up to 50 to allow for just this situation. However the coach had dismissed this as unnecessary and register a squad of 32. This did not include the young goalkeeper who was therefore ineligible. A request for special dispensation was rejected. Thus a squad of 12 with no recognised goalkeeper.
Now I know this seems highly improbable but I was unable to catch the end of the broadcast so perhaps it was just a send-up. Anyone hear the same programme?
Yes. They had to play a polar bear in goals. 2-1 down with 10 to go they came back at the death to win 3-2 with a headed goal in injury time by their skipper.

twiceinathens
19-05-2021, 04:07 PM
Yes. They had to play a polar bear in goals. 2-1 down with 10 to go they came back at the death to win 3-2 with a headed goal in injury time by their skipper.

Several sources reporting this as FACT. Club concerned is River Plate.

Hibs Class
19-05-2021, 04:27 PM
Looks to be true - game due to take place later today.

River Plate to start midfielder in goal in Copa Libertadores after over 20 players test positive for COVID-19 - CBSSports.com (https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/river-plate-to-start-midfielder-in-goal-in-copa-libertadores-after-over-20-players-test-positive-for-covid-19/)

Pagan Hibernia
19-05-2021, 04:32 PM
Not related to the OP but it’s good to see Argentinos Juniors doing well in this tournament.

lovely humble family club from a working class Buenos Aires suburb, fantastic academy, produced Maradona obviously, and founded by a group of anarchists.

My type of club.

nonshinyfinish
19-05-2021, 04:37 PM
Looks to be true - game due to take place later today.

River Plate to start midfielder in goal in Copa Libertadores after over 20 players test positive for COVID-19 - CBSSports.com (https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/river-plate-to-start-midfielder-in-goal-in-copa-libertadores-after-over-20-players-test-positive-for-covid-19/)

Which outfield players have played in goal for us? While still far from common, I assume it happened more once you go back to two subs and earlier. The one I remember is Darren Jackson against Celtic but there must be others.

tamig
19-05-2021, 04:44 PM
Which outfield players have played in goal for us? While still far from common, I assume it happened more once you go back to two subs and earlier. The one I remember is Darren Jackson against Celtic but there must be others.

Graham Mitchell. Played against Dundee United at Tannadice.

Kato
19-05-2021, 04:47 PM
Graham Mitchell. Played against Dundee United at Tannadice.Arthur Duncan at Ibrox.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
19-05-2021, 04:48 PM

Arthur Duncan used to go in goals.

ancient hibee
19-05-2021, 05:59 PM

Peter Cormack with Willie Wilson(bandaged head I think)on the wing.

Victor
19-05-2021, 06:12 PM
Peter Cormack with Willie Wilson(bandaged head I think)on the wing.

I remember Cormack playing in goals, I seem to remember it happening more than once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JeMeSouviens
19-05-2021, 06:26 PM

Andy Millen at Fir Park when Leighton got sent off. Good effort, only conceded 1 goal in about an hour.

19-05-2021, 06:33 PM
Darren Jackson at parkhead

gbhibby
19-05-2021, 11:00 PM
Did Alan Rough not play upfront in a reserve game.

franck sauzee
20-05-2021, 01:55 AM
Finished 2-1 to River Plate

Onceinawhile
20-05-2021, 06:52 AM
Finished 2-1 to River Plate

Unreal.

No subs and a midfielder in goal and they pulled it out the bag. Bravo!