PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Squad for the Euro 2020.

SteveHFC
18-05-2021, 09:35 PM
Gilmour and Turnbull in.

Nisbet likely to be in the squad ahead of Shankland.

:hyper

Brummie_Hibs
18-05-2021, 09:39 PM
Source?

SteveHFC
18-05-2021, 09:40 PM
Source?

The Sun mate.

oneone73
18-05-2021, 09:42 PM
Gilmour and Turnbull in.

Nisbet likely to be in the squad ahead of Shankland.

:hyper

Isn't that the provisional 30-man squad?

SteveHFC
18-05-2021, 09:47 PM
Isn't that the provisional 30-man squad?

Sure it’s the final squad announcement tomorrow.

Patterson and Palmer competing for a place as are Considine and Cooper.

hibbysam
18-05-2021, 09:49 PM
Sure it’s the final squad announcement tomorrow.

Patterson and Palmer competing for a place as are Considine and Cooper.

Only Scotland could have the captain of a top half English premier league side competing with a huddy from Aberdeen for a place in the squad 😂

Brummie_Hibs
18-05-2021, 09:52 PM
From article:

"Scots boss Steve Clarke was finalising his 26-man squad...
.. The selection process has gone right down to the wire — with 29 names still under consideration on Tuesday night."

So, another nothing article from The Sun.

SChibs
18-05-2021, 10:29 PM
Ridiculous if Ryan Gauld isn't picked. He's been outstanding for Farense recently. Player of the month in Portgual, easily Farense's best player and he's been getting man of the match awards every other week

Vault Boy
18-05-2021, 10:33 PM
Ridiculous if Ryan Gauld isn't picked. He's been outstanding for Farense recently. Player of the month in Portgual, easily Farense's best player and he's been getting man of the match awards every other week

I've got a feeling he'll be overlooked. I'm with you though - terrific season for him during which he's realised a lot more of his obvious potential and talent. If form was the determining factor, he'd be in a mile ahead of Christie.

JimBHibees
19-05-2021, 06:32 AM
I've got a feeling he'll be overlooked. I'm with you though - terrific season for him during which he's realised a lot more of his obvious potential and talent. If form was the determining factor, he'd be in a mile ahead of Christie.

Christie has been very good for Scotland though has been poor for Celtic in saying that who hasn't. Is this the euro squad or are a few being cut. Hopefully Kevin is in wouldn't want a downer just before the final.

.Sean.
19-05-2021, 06:41 AM
Only Scotland could have the captain of a top half English premier league side competing with a huddy from Aberdeen for a place in the squad 😂
I’d have Considine every time as he’s actually Scottish mate

MagicSwirlingShip
19-05-2021, 06:47 AM

Highly unlikely as he’s never been capped at full International level. He’s not going to walk straight into the squad for a major championship without getting named previously.

Christie has been out of form but has been by and large great for us in the qualifying campaign.

Juniper Greens
19-05-2021, 07:30 AM

It's not though. This debate keeps coming up, but as someone who has been to countless Benfica games live and watches them on TV when possible, the league is very very poor. Outside the top 4, it's a lower standard than scotland.
If Ross Callachan had won player of the month for Hamilton, would be be pushing his case?! I'm afraid that is the equivalent. Henderson should be in before Gauld

MagicSwirlingShip
19-05-2021, 07:54 AM
It's not though. This debate keeps coming up, but as someone who has been to countless Benfica games live and watches them on TV when possible, the league is very very poor. Outside the top 4, it's a lower standard than scotland.
If Ross Callachan had won player of the month for Hamilton, would be be pushing his case?! I'm afraid that is the equivalent. Henderson should be in before Gauld

Hows he getting on at Lecce?

Juniper Greens
19-05-2021, 08:05 AM
Hows he getting on at Lecce?

I'm not as up to speed on Serie B, but looks like his team came 3rd and he was a starter

MagicSwirlingShip
19-05-2021, 08:09 AM
I'm not as up to speed on Serie B, but looks like his team came 3rd and he was a starter

Just done a wee bit digging, they are at home to Venezia tomorrow in the second leg of the promotion playoff, trailing 1-0 on aggregate.

Hope he can deliver another performance! :greengrin

Iain G
19-05-2021, 09:16 AM
McTominay picked up a knock in the Man Utd game last night, that would be a blow if he isn't fit.

Moulin Yarns
19-05-2021, 11:20 AM
Craig Gordon (Heart of Midlothian)
David Marshall (Derby County)
Jon McLaughlin (Rangers)
Defenders
Nathan Patterson (Rangers)
Stephen O’Donnell (Motherwell)
Andy Robertson (Liverpool)
Kieran Tierney (Arsenal)
Greg Taylor (Celtic)
Liam Cooper (Leeds United)
Grant Hanley (Norwich City
Declan Gallagher (Motherwell)
Scott McKenna (Aberdeen)
Jack Hendry (KV Oostende, on loan from Celtic)
Midfielders
Billy Gilmour (Chelsea)
Callum McGregor (Celtic)
Scott McTominay (Manchester United)
Stuart Armstrong (Southampton)
John McGinn (Aston Villa)
John Fleck (Sheffield United)
David Turnbull (Celtic)
Forwards
James Forrest (Celtic)
Ryan Christie (Celtic)
Ryan Fraser (Newcastle United)
Lyndon Dykes (Queens Park Rangers)
Ché Adams (Southampton)
Kevin Nisbet (Hibernian)

Mon Dieu4
19-05-2021, 11:21 AM
10 defenders out of a 26 man squad seems a tad overkill

Since452
19-05-2021, 11:22 AM

To be fair i don't even know who Cooper is

Diclonius
19-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Nisbet first Hibs player to be in the squad for Scotland at a major tournament since Leighton and Jackson at Euro 96.

calumhibee1
19-05-2021, 11:25 AM
Decent squad to be fair.

Actually pleased to see guys like Paterson in there. He’s been very good for Rangers and it’s a hell of a better option than playing Tierney there or Forrest.

Gilmour, McGinn and McTominay should be our 3 in the middle imo.

Also have to start Cooper. How he doesn’t get a start is beyond me.

Peevemor
19-05-2021, 11:25 AM

France have named 9, with 3 keepers, 6 midfielders & 8 forwards.

Since452
19-05-2021, 11:26 AM
No Griffiths? Big risk. He's a match winner

calumhibee1

We essentially play with 5 though so it’s probably required

AugustaHibs
No Griffiths? Big risk. He's a match winner

Would be a shambles if he got in ahead of other players though.

Cant blame anyone bar himself

theonlywayisup
19-05-2021, 11:27 AM
Nisbet first Hibs player to be in the squad for Scotland at a major tournament since Leighton and Jackson at Euro 96.

Considering Scotland have only ever been at one major Championships since 96, being France in 1998, that is not a surprise!

Vault Boy
19-05-2021, 11:30 AM
Quite happy with that! Good to see Gilmour in there.

I'm a bit mixed on Forrest, however it is definitely a position we're light in so I can't really argue. If only Boyle was available.

FilipinoHibs
19-05-2021, 11:33 AM
Congratulations Kevin!

SteveHFC
19-05-2021, 11:37 AM
That squad looks good but would have taken Gauld for Taylor.

HibsGW
19-05-2021, 11:40 AM
https://twitter.com/scotlandnt/status/1394972589450223618?s=21

Good video.

MartinfaePorty
19-05-2021, 11:46 AM
https://twitter.com/scotlandnt/status/1394972589450223618?s=21

Good video.

Yeah, just posted on the Nisbet thread. Love the meatball special!

Tug Wilson
19-05-2021, 11:57 AM

Think you'll find the huddy from Aberdeen is now a huddy from Nottingham Forest.

Or did you mean Considine?

Greencore
19-05-2021, 12:04 PM
Should have let leishman announce Nisbet. And what did they say to those kids 😂

overdrive
19-05-2021, 12:14 PM
Those kids would have no idea who Grant Hanley is!

Billy Whizz
19-05-2021, 12:15 PM
No Considine, no boogie😀

green day
19-05-2021, 12:21 PM
That squad looks good but would have taken Gauld for Taylor.

Taylor has absolutely no claim to be there, even Celtic fans think he has been poor.

AS for Patterson..............whats he played, 7 matches?

Anthony Soprano
19-05-2021, 12:25 PM
Harsh on Paul McGinn, O’Donnell who finished 9th with Motherwell and an 19 year old with about 7 appearances to his name getting the nod ahead of him

calumhibee1
19-05-2021, 12:26 PM
Harsh on Paul McGinn, O’Donnell who finished 9th with Motherwell and an 19 year old with about 7 appearances to his name getting the nod ahead of him

McGinn wouldn’t be much cope at that level in the RWB role so I don’t think he was ever in with a shout.

1875Sean
19-05-2021, 12:28 PM
Any word who is on the standby list? Wonder if proto is there

Hibee Mac
19-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Surprised to see Paterson in there, as folk have said above the guys played a handful of games. We could have filled that space better I think.

Imagine Josh Doig was a RB, he's just had a far better season would you imagine him getting called up for the Euro squad? Nuts

Billy Whizz
19-05-2021, 12:33 PM
Surprised to see Paterson in there, as folk have said above the guys played a handful of games. We could have filled that space better I think.

Imagine Josh Doig was a RB, he's just had a far better season would you imagine him getting called up for the Euro squad? Nuts

I agree with this, lack of young right backs has got Paterson in
Doing got Robertson, Tierney and Taylor ahead of him

Blaster
19-05-2021, 12:44 PM
I’m glad to see Patterson in before Palmer. I don’t see the need for Taylor to be there at all. Already have 2 potential left backs.

Griffiths for Taylor which would have given that extra attacking option

calumhibee1
19-05-2021, 12:59 PM

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Doig would have got called up if he had a Motherwell full back as his only other competition.

badabing67
19-05-2021, 01:07 PM

This :aok:

Spudster
19-05-2021, 01:14 PM
I’m glad to see Patterson in before Palmer. I don’t see the need for Taylor to be there at all. Already have 2 potential left backs.

Griffiths for Taylor which would have given that extra attacking option

I think Taylor is backup LB as Tierney will be classed as a CB.

Blaster
19-05-2021, 01:23 PM
I think Taylor is backup LB as Tierney will be classed as a CB.

Possibly in which case we have too many CBs

The Baldmans Comb
19-05-2021, 01:24 PM

Cooper isn't a player I have heard of either but he must be of reasonable quality to be playing in England.

Considine is far from a huddy and is very solid and brings more continuity and the whole ethos of Steve Clarke seems to be trying to build a club atmosphere where the sum of the parts is better than the individual components.

Its quite refreshing to have manager who doesn't automatically assume you pick players dependant on the league they play in and instead try to look at the overall picture.

Spudster
19-05-2021, 01:29 PM
Possibly in which case we have too many CBs

I'd agree. Also think 3 GKs is unnecessary.

Billy Whizz
19-05-2021, 01:31 PM

I think 3 is the min, just takes 1 to get injured, and you are down to the bare bones

Speedy
19-05-2021, 01:39 PM

3 recognised GKs are mandatory I believe.

The more I reflect on it the more I'd have taken Considine.

calumhibee1
19-05-2021, 01:40 PM
3 recognised GKs are mandatory I believe.

The more I reflect on it the more I'd have taken Considine.

Ahead of who?

As much as it seems harsh dropping him i don’t think he should be in ahead of any of the others.

hibbysam
19-05-2021, 01:40 PM
Cooper isn't a player I have heard of either but he must be of reasonable quality to be playing in England.

Considine is far from a huddy and is very solid and brings more continuity and the whole ethos of Steve Clarke seems to be trying to build a club atmosphere where the sum of the parts is better than the individual components.

Its quite refreshing to have manager who doesn't automatically assume you pick players dependant on the league they play in and instead try to look at the overall picture.

Considine is brutal, he’s ok in an Aberdeen side, he’s absolutely nowhere near international standard. Both he and Cooper play in the same position, same footed, everything, one is a premier league regular in a top half side, the other is Andy Considine. If it wasn’t for his song he’d be nowhere near it.

EI255
19-05-2021, 02:13 PM
Great news Considine didn't make it. Huge bomb scare of a defender. He can put his ghetto blaster away too.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Tyler Durden
19-05-2021, 02:15 PM
Considine is brutal, he’s ok in an Aberdeen side, he’s absolutely nowhere near international standard. Both he and Cooper play in the same position, same footed, everything, one is a premier league regular in a top half side, the other is Andy Considine. If it wasn’t for his song he’d be nowhere near it.

Yeah Considine was drafted in due to an injury crisis. He did well and it's a great story for a guy like him to get a cap. His story ends there though - he was never going to play at the Euros.

The clamour for Gauld is also a bit baffling to me. Don't think he has a cap to his name, he's never going to play ahead of McGinn/Armstrong/Christie in the attacking midfield role.....he was never in contention.

Greg Taylor is not required but obviously Clarke thinks Griffiths would be a bad influence on the squad. There are probably 6 or 7 players who'll have very little chance of getting any minutes but he has to pick 26. I think if it were 23 then Taylor/Turnbull/Forrest would have missed out.

scoopyboy
19-05-2021, 02:17 PM
Great news Considine didn't make it. Huge bomb scare of a defender. He can put his ghetto blaster away too.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Even better news that Calum Paterson didn't make it

He's here!
19-05-2021, 02:24 PM

Three goalkeepers has always been unnecessary and a waste of a squad place. Looking at the trio we've picked it strikes me how lacking in younger, quality Scottish keepers we seem to be.

Billy Whizz
19-05-2021, 02:28 PM
Three goalkeepers has always been unnecessary and a waste of a squad place. Looking at the trio we've picked it strikes me how lacking in younger, quality Scottish keepers we seem to be.

Must be someone better than the Rangers keeper, who hasn’t played too many games this season

hibbysam
19-05-2021, 02:33 PM
Must be someone better than the Rangers keeper, who hasn’t played too many games this season

Still a very good keeper. Three keepers is a must. All it takes is an injury and then you don’t have one on the bench.

hibbysam
19-05-2021, 02:33 PM

Totally agree with that.

Spudster
19-05-2021, 02:39 PM
Considine is brutal, he’s ok in an Aberdeen side, he’s absolutely nowhere near international standard.

Applies to most areas of our squad aside from the midfield unfortunately.

Billy Whizz
19-05-2021, 02:41 PM

Think Billy Gilmour’s borrowed his tache
It’s a shocker

Cocaine&Caviar
19-05-2021, 02:54 PM
For me, the strongest team is:

GK: Marshall

RCB: McKenna
CB: Hanley
LCB: Tierney

RWB: Forrest
RCM: McTominay
CM: Gilmour
LCM: McGinn
LWB: Robertson

CF: Adams
ST: Dykes

Hibee Mac
19-05-2021, 03:31 PM
For me, the strongest team is:

GK: Marshall

RCB: McKenna
CB: Hanley
LCB: Tierney

RWB: Forrest
RCM: McTominay
CM: Gilmour
LCM: McGinn
LWB: Robertson

CF: Adams
ST: Dykes

Not for me.

Out of that I'd say McKenna, Forrest and Gilmour shouldn't be in a starting 11. (I'd argue Robertson shouldn't either but that's a whole other kettle of fish).

Forrest in particular has done nothing to warrant a starting place, makes losing Martin Boyle to Australia look ridiculous now tbh...

hibbysam
19-05-2021, 03:38 PM
Not for me.

Out of that I'd say McKenna, Forrest and Gilmour shouldn't be in a starting 11. (I'd argue Robertson shouldn't either but that's a whole other kettle of fish).

Forrest in particular has done nothing to warrant a starting place, makes losing Martin Boyle to Australia look ridiculous now tbh...

Robertson should and will always be in our starting line up, finishing the season very strong for Liverpool again and him and Tierney as the left side of our defence works a treat.

Hopefully Cooper can play as the right sided centre half and McKenna as the middle man. Would give a very strong back line.

18Craig75
19-05-2021, 05:19 PM
Porteous must be feeling pretty gutted right now. He’s unfortunately just not showed enough second half of the season. I’d imagine he’d have been looking at Hendry and thinking he had a genuine chance of getting the call.

Hibee Mac
19-05-2021, 06:15 PM
Porteous must be feeling pretty gutted right now. He’s unfortunately just not showed enough second half of the season. I’d imagine he’d have been looking at Hendry and thinking he had a genuine chance of getting the call.Yup, I think this one came just a little too soon for Ryan. I'm confident he'll be a mainstay in the Scotland team for years to come though, although he might not start playing for Clarke until he gets his move away from Hibs. Needs to cut out the silly errors for good too...

green day
19-05-2021, 06:28 PM
Porteous must be feeling pretty gutted right now. He’s unfortunately just not showed enough second half of the season. I’d imagine he’d have been looking at Hendry and thinking he had a genuine chance of getting the call.

Made too many errors this season. Needs to get the head down and work on the basics.

hibsbollah
19-05-2021, 06:43 PM
Delighted that Turnbull and Gilmour are in, I wasn’t expecting both. James Forrest is a lucky boy, has he ever kicked a ball for Scotland?

hibsbollah
19-05-2021, 06:51 PM
I think 3 is the min, just takes 1 to get injured, and you are down to the bare bones

Is there a rule that says so or just tradition?

oneone73
19-05-2021, 06:53 PM
Delighted that Turnbull and Gilmour are in, I wasn’t expecting both. James Forrest is a lucky boy, has he ever kicked a ball for Scotland?

Scored a hat trick once, didn't he?

hibsbollah
19-05-2021, 07:05 PM
Scored a hat trick once, didn't he?

Wiki says you are correct and I depart to the naughty step :greengrin
I still think he’s been mostly anonymous whenever I’ve seen him though.

Dmas
19-05-2021, 07:38 PM
I’m a wee bit surprised by the squad to honest, can’t believe Forrest has found his way in after so little game time, Ryan Fraser as well must have fitness worries and I think with 3 guys in for LB id hazard a guess tierney might be touch and go as well, how Gregg Taylor has got in is a mystery to me id complain about Paterson as well if I could think of another RB that could have went instead

Robbo6-2
19-05-2021, 07:46 PM
Doig or Hickey (if not injured) should of been in before Taylor.

The rest of squad is promising.

CMurdoch
19-05-2021, 07:56 PM
I think Clarke has chosen wisely.

Considine appeared to go over the hill just after his Scotland appearances. A shame for him but it happens.
The Sheffield Wed. Players - Patterson looked like a big hippo the last time he played and Palmer just seems very average each time I see him play.
So good decisions to leave out all 3, none of whom is likely to return in the future.

Gauld was probably player 27, so unlucky but no real case for the few players who also missed out.
Hendry, Fleck & Taylor are the lucky players but I can see the argument for all 3.
Outside of that Frasers fitness is the only real concern.

Jack and McLean will be big misses and Clarke will be tested putting together a balanced midfield. But no point crying over spilt milk.

Hibee Mac
19-05-2021, 10:37 PM
The trouble with the likes of Taylor, Fleck (McLean too before he got injured) is that they're not going to start but they're also uninspiring subs who won't really change a game if we need to.

You need some dependable subs in there but I feel he could have replaced one or two with types who might at least bring something different, Gauld could maybe have been that guy, I would class Boyle as that too if he was eligible