PDA

View Full Version : Cup Final XI

HendoDelivered
17-05-2021, 09:17 AM
Macey (although I’d rather Rocky, I think he will start MM).

McGinn
Hanlon
Daz

Boyle
Goga
Jacko
Newell
Doig

Nisbet
Doidge

Hibernian Verse
17-05-2021, 09:19 AM

McGinn
Hanlon
Daz

Boyle
Goga
Jacko
Newell
Doig

Nisbet
Doidge

That would be my team too. I think the only decision JR has to make is Porteous or McGregor, the rest of the team picks itself.

Diclonius
17-05-2021, 09:20 AM
Marciano

McGinn Hanlon McGregor

Boyle Irvine Gogic Hallberg Doig

Nisbet Doidge

Anthony Soprano
17-05-2021, 09:45 AM

McGinn
Hanlon
Daz

Boyle
Goga
Jacko
Newell
Doig

Nisbet
Doidge

After the semi I would've started hallberg over newell but he's been poor last couple games (maybe harsh as he seemed to be playing up front against celtic). This would be my team as well

Jim44
17-05-2021, 09:54 AM

McGinn
Hanlon
Daz

Boyle
Goga
Jacko
Newell
Doig

Nisbet
Doidge

I’d go with that.

SON OF PADDY
17-05-2021, 10:00 AM
Marciano

McGinn Hanlon McGregor

Boyle Irvine Gogic Hallberg Doig

Nisbet Doidge

Macey in goals,and that's the starting line-up.👍 🇳🇬🏆🇳🇬

scoopyboy
17-05-2021, 10:37 AM
Interesting that none of the selections so far have Porto starting.

I think the starting 11 will be Macey, McGinn, Porteous, Hanlon, Doig, Boyle, Newell, Gogic, Jackson, Nisbet and Doidge.

Don't know if it will line up 3-5-2 or 4-4-2.

I personally would think hard about starting Marciano and McGregor.

B.H.F.C
17-05-2021, 10:42 AM

I think the starting 11 will be Macey, McGinn, Porteous, Hanlon, Doig, Boyle, Newell, Gogic, Jackson, Nisbet and Doidge.

Agree with the above. I think that will be the team, I’m not 100% sure it’s the team I would pick though.

danhibees1875
17-05-2021, 10:44 AM
There's a few areas that are up for debate, but I'm relaxed about whatever way Jack Ross decides to go with them.

Rocky or Macey?

McGregor or Porteous?

3 out of 4 for: Gogic, Irvine, Newall, or Hallberg.

The rest of the team isn't in question unless there's an injury.

I'd go:

Macey
McGinn McGregor Hanlon
Boyle Irvine Gogic Newall Doig
Nisbet Doidge

Brightside
17-05-2021, 10:46 AM

Agreed.

Cocaine&Caviar
17-05-2021, 10:46 AM
Not looking to jinx anything, but IF it were to go our way, who would we have lift the trophy?

Stevenson & Gray have had their photo, McGregor & Hanlon?

SMAXXA
17-05-2021, 10:50 AM

Somethings telling me JR will be loyal to the team that’s largely featured most of the season with the exception of Marciano as he’s leaving. So Porto plays and Newell aswell. Not sure it would be my team but can’t and won’t have any complaints if it is.

SMAXXA
17-05-2021, 10:51 AM
Not looking to jinx anything, but IF it were to go our way, who would we have lift the trophy?

Stevenson & Gray have had their photo, McGregor & Hanlon?

Hanlon and Gray

B.H.F.C
17-05-2021, 10:53 AM
There's a few areas that are up for debate, but I'm relaxed about whatever way Jack Ross decides to go with them.

Rocky or Macey?

McGregor or Porteous?

3 out of 4 for: Gogic, Irvine, Newall, or Hallberg.

The rest of the team isn't in question unless there's an injury.

I'd go:

Macey
McGinn McGregor Hanlon
Boyle Irvine Gogic Newall Doig
Nisbet Doidge

I think we’re maybe asking those questions but I’m not sure Ross will be.

At a push, he could play McGregor over Porteous but I’d still be surprised. I don’t think there will be any question in his mind about playing Macey. Also don’t think he’ll be thinking of Hallberg over the other three.

scoopyboy
17-05-2021, 10:56 AM
Somethings telling me JR will be loyal to the team that’s largely featured most of the season with the exception of Marciano as he’s leaving. So Porto plays and Newell aswell. Not sure it would be my team but can’t and won’t have any complaints if it is.

When would you tell the players the team G?

I'm sure Stubbs announced it about an hour and a half before kick off.

I would have thought they might have set up things in training that would have made it obvious what the team is.

Highwayman
17-05-2021, 10:57 AM

This is the team I would start with.

However JR should make it clear to the two centre backs if either of them start showing wobblies,he’ll have no hesitation in bringing Daz on.

Also I think Newell deserves to start,but if he doesn’t impose himself in the first half he won’t make the second.

This is going to be a tough shift on Saturday and Hibs can’t afford any passengers.

SMAXXA
17-05-2021, 11:02 AM

I would have thought they might have set up things in training that would have made it obvious what the team is.

Hmmm now your asking. I’d be inclined to do it Thursday Friday so players know coming on the day and the players not playing can be managed in terms of picking them up if down. Then again you’d maybe get more a bounce of the 11 finding out just before the game.

It’s a hard one and no sure what the best approach is. If your asking what I think JR will do, I think it will be the former. He seems big on structure and routine so I’d guess, and it is only a guess that he would have it all done prior to Saturday.

What’s your view mate?

Unseen work
17-05-2021, 11:07 AM
...................Macey..............

McGinn....Porteous....Hanlon....Doig

Boyle......Gogic.......Newell.......Irvine....

................Nisbet....Doidge.....

That’s the team Ross has been liking lately and one I think he’ll use to beat St Johnstone.

Think it would nullify their threats and enable us to get at them.

I think he has real trust in the players and the ones that have got us here and done it all season will start. Can’t see Hallberg who plays 1-3 games well starting over Newell who has been a mainstay.

McGregor is a huge call as he’s dominant, but so is Porteous in fairness. Ideally you’d have both of them and Hanlon against St Johnstone. McGinn isn’t as dominant in the air etc but he’s been brilliant I think.

Hibernian Verse
17-05-2021, 11:07 AM
Looking at the replies here and on other threads, you have to hand it to Hallberg. A month ago we wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting XI but he's played his way into contention.

Maybe us football fans aren't as fickle as we are made out to be :agree:

Greenio
17-05-2021, 11:08 AM
When I saw the thread title, I got the old butterflies in the stomach - not long now!

I think, like a lot of others, it will be Macey, McGinn, Porteous, Hanlon, Doig, Boyle, Newell, Gogic, Jackson, Nisbet and Doidge.

I just don't think Ross is the type to make surprise decisions, and playing Daz or Hallberg, despite them being strong recently, would be just that.

I think they will all be up for it and we'll win 3-0, one each for Doidge, Nissy and Boyler - why not eh!

scoopyboy
17-05-2021, 11:18 AM
Hmmm now your asking. I’d be inclined to do it Thursday Friday so players know coming on the day and the players not playing can be managed in terms of picking them up if down. Then again you’d maybe get more a bounce of the 11 finding out just before the game.

It’s a hard one and no sure what the best approach is. If your asking what I think JR will do, I think it will be the former. He seems big on structure and routine so I’d guess, and it is only a guess that he would have it all done prior to Saturday.

What’s your view mate?

Not sure, that's why I was asking a man that has managed at a decent level.

When I played bowls for East Lothian I always liked the team picked in advance of the game, that way you had time to get your thoughts together. Once or twice we couldn't pick it until the day of the game as two or three of our best players were away playing in tournaments and we weren't sure if they would be back, I didn't like that as too much uncertainty.

However I am trying to determine how to minimise disappointment. I think Marciano going by his interview has accepted Macey will be in goals and appears to be fine with it.

I think Darren McGregor will take everything in his stride and it wouldn't knock him.

It's Ryan Porteous I would be more concerned with. He will expect to be playing (I said earlier I think he will start) and if he isn't then when is the best time to tell him. Tell him on Thursday for example he has time to come to terms with it but telling him in the dressing room could lead to a broken player and worst case scenario a scene just before the game.

Sioux
17-05-2021, 11:51 AM

What’s your view mate?

Don't see that being an issue. There are probably 9 players that know they'll start.

SChibs
17-05-2021, 12:18 PM
Looking at the replies here and on other threads, you have to hand it to Hallberg. A month ago we wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting XI but he's played his way into contention.

Maybe us football fans aren't as fickle as we are made out to be :agree:

Hes a key member of the squad. He's not a standout by any means but he'll step in and do a job when required and generally do it well. If we win the cup and get group stage Europe we'll need another couple like him so we can rotate the first 11

hibee-boys
17-05-2021, 12:20 PM

That’s the team Ross has been liking lately and one I think he’ll use to beat St Johnstone.

I think he has real trust in the players and the ones that have got us here and done it all season will start. Can’t see Hallberg who plays 1-3 games well starting over Newell who has been a mainstay.

McGregor is a huge call as he’s dominant, but so is Porteous in fairness. Ideally you’d have both of them and Hanlon against St Johnstone. McGinn isn’t as dominant in the air etc but he’s been brilliant I think.

That’s the starting XI.

Smartie
17-05-2021, 12:39 PM

This team loses imo.

Ross has several tough calls but most of the team picks itself.

Of the tough calls, for me - Macey ahead of Marciano (if you make a promise you keep it), McGregor ahead of Porteous and Hallberg ahead of Newell.

Big, bold call leaving out Newell and Porteous but the right one, I think. The midfield just looks better and more balanced when Hallberg is in there and I don't think you can be dropping either Irvine or Gogic. Porto was under the spotlight at Hampden after a shaky game the week before (and a good few ropey moments over the course of this season) and was lucky that his daft moments didn't cost us. McGregor has quite simply looked better when he has played.

I think we're tougher and more resolute with those 2 in the team, we're less likely to do something daft ourselves. Given the quality we have in other areas, I think we'd have what it takes to beat St Johnstone.

FWIW I think Ross will go with the team you describe, and I can't say I'd be anywhere near as confident.

makaveli1875
17-05-2021, 12:45 PM
Rocky

McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon
Doig

Irvine
Gogic
Hallberg

Boyle

doidge
Nisbet

WeeRussell
17-05-2021, 12:48 PM
This team loses imo.

Of the tough calls, for me - Macey ahead of Marciano (if you make a promise you keep it), McGregor ahead of Porteous and Hallberg ahead of Newell.

Big, bold call leaving out Newell and Porteous but the right one, I think. The midfield just looks better and more balanced when Hallberg is in there and I don't think you can be dropping either Irvine or Gogic. Porto was under the spotlight at Hampden after a shaky game the week before (and a good few ropey moments over the course of this season) and was lucky that his daft moments didn't cost us. McGregor has quite simply looked better when he has played.

I think we're tougher and more resolute with those 2 in the team, we're less likely to do something daft ourselves. Given the quality we have in other areas, I think we'd have what it takes to beat St Johnstone.

FWIW I think Ross will go with the team you describe, and I can't say I'd be anywhere near as confident.

Going by your first and last sentences, you reckon we will lose the final Smartie?

I wonder if Jack Ross has fully made up his mind on the 11 yet...

Smartie
17-05-2021, 12:55 PM
Going by your first and last sentences, you reckon we will lose the final Smartie?

I wonder if Jack Ross has fully made up his mind on the 11 yet...

I think it's incredibly close to call and whilst it's becoming a bit of a cliche it will really come down to the finest of margins.

You can't carry any passengers anywhere in the team but the middle of your defence and the centre of midfield are absolutely key areas. The team Jack Ross picks will probably determine whether I'm optimistic or pessimistic.

For Porto have to have played so much of the season ahead of McGregor you'd have to expect Ross to go with Porteous. Likewise, when you see the amount of football Newell has got this season over Hallberg you'd have to expect Ross to go with Newell.

I just think that at times like this you sometimes have to take recent form into consideration, and that skews it a bit in favour of the other2.

badabing67
17-05-2021, 01:05 PM
After the semi I would've started hallberg over newell but he's been poor last couple games (maybe harsh as he seemed to be playing up front against celtic). This would be my team as well

I think it is a bit harsh he put in a shift against StJ and Aberdeen and offers more of a goal threat than Joe Newell imo. But I think we will see both Newell and Hallberg in the final. Probably starting with Newell if everyone is fit. Plus I thought Hallberg took a good pen against Motherwell so I think that's something that will be in the back of Jack Ross's mind.

Sammy7nil
17-05-2021, 01:05 PM
This is the team I would start with.

However JR should make it clear to the two centre backs if either of them start showing wobblies,he’ll have no hesitation in bringing Daz on.

Also I think Newell deserves to start,but if he doesn’t impose himself in the first half he won’t make the second.

This is going to be a tough shift on Saturday and Hibs can’t afford any passengers.

Yeah get both starting CH jittery and worried feared to make a pass before the game starts :greengrin:greengrin:wink:

Greenio
17-05-2021, 01:23 PM
This team loses imo.

Based on what matches?

bingo70
17-05-2021, 01:39 PM
Just wanted to add that I’ve no idea who I would pick.

I’ve argued the case for Daz and Porteous recently, I suspect I’ll change my mind a dozen times before the weekend.

I think Newell is a stick on starter and it’s between Gogic and Hallberg for the midfield starting slot. IMO Gogic is the better out the 2 but I think Hallberg would have us playing on the front foot where as with Gogic we are more likely to sit deeper but hit on the counter attack, which we are very good at but also comes with some risk.

The only thing I would say is that whoever Ross goes with I will get the logic and be happy with.

Picking a team without the benefit of hindsight isn’t an exact science, whoever comes in will do a good job I’m sure.

Mon the Hibs.

147lothian
17-05-2021, 01:48 PM
Rocky

McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon
Doig

Irvine
Gogic
Hallberg

Boyle

doidge
Nisbet

That's the team that I would go for the only question mark for me is Hallberg or Newell thats a bigger call than Rocky and McGregor for me

JimBHibees
17-05-2021, 01:52 PM

I think that will be the thinking behind the selection also. Porto Macy and Newell will play and to be honest some of those decisions are probably very tight ones however would have no qualms at all if that is the team that starts.

JimBHibees
17-05-2021, 01:53 PM
Just wanted to add that I’ve no idea who I would pick.

I’ve argued the case for Daz and Porteous recently, I suspect I’ll change my mind a dozen times before the weekend.

I think Newell is a stick on starter and it’s between Gogic and Hallberg for the midfield starting slot. IMO Gogic is the better out the 2 but I think Hallberg would have us playing on the front foot where as with Gogic we are more likely to sit deeper but hit on the counter attack, which we are very good at but also comes with some risk.

The only thing I would say is that whoever Ross goes with I will get the logic and be happy with.

Picking a team without the benefit of hindsight isn’t an exact science, whoever comes in will do a good job I’m sure.

Mon the Hibs.

I would be amazed if Gogic doesn't start to be honest.

GreenCastle
17-05-2021, 02:02 PM
I would be amazed if Macey doesn’t start. All the chat about Rockys last game etc at the weekend.

The 2 main calls are..Porto or McGregor and Newell or Hallberg.

McGregor I can’t remember making a mistake all season - leader - playing well - played in cup final before / experience. Not as comfortable on ball as others. Stats show McGregor plays and Hibs usually win.

Porto - had a few errors this season - better with ball at feel than McGregor and still learning.

Hallberg v Newell - Newell on his day is excellent but not sure we have seen that form recently as much and we need some bite in the middle. Both can go missing at times and both need to score more goals. Would say Newell has better corner delivery though Hallberg more physical. Not sure how fully fit Hallberg is either..only played 90 mins twice this year.

My head says win the battle first then play football after...but we also need to be good on ball under pressure.

JimBHibees
17-05-2021, 02:07 PM

You would assume that they would be doing patterns of play and shape with the team during the week which would possibly make it quite clear who would be playing where though obviously he can bring other players in to that who he may be considering as well. Suppose it is a balance when you tell them if too early in the week the ones chosen may dip a bit and the ones not chosen be totally hacked off. Needs good man management that is for sure. I would think Thursday or Friday latest. Was Stubbs not waiting on McGeouch hence the reason he left it late?

WeeRussell
17-05-2021, 02:26 PM

That's probably how I would go right now, and I think probably how Jack Ross will start the match too :agree:

Having said that, I don't disagree with your last statement either. And all this talk is getting me nervous.

jacomo
17-05-2021, 02:34 PM

That’s because last time we played St J Porto gifted them a goal.

If Daz is fit he should start.

LEaston87
17-05-2021, 02:39 PM
-------------- Macey -----------

---- McGinn McGregor Hanlon ----

Boyle ---- Gogic Hallberg ---- Doig

--------------- Irvine ------------

---------- Doidge Nisbet -------

Or:

---------------- Macey -----------------

- McGinn Porteous Hanlon Doig -

------------- Irvine Gogic ------------

--- Boyle ----- Nisbet ----- Murphy ---

--------------- Doidge ------------------

Bangkok Hibby
17-05-2021, 02:53 PM
I think that will be the thinking behind the selection also. Porto Macy and Newell will play and to be honest some of those decisions are probably very tight ones however would have no qualms at all if that is the team that starts.

Thats how I feel. Rocky has played his last game for Hibs...I'm very comfortable with Macy. I'd rather have Darren than Ryan but that won't happen, again comfortable with whoever gets the shout.
Hibs will win this!

h1bs4life
17-05-2021, 07:51 PM
It's a cup final sentiment or how many games players have played doesn't come in to it's the best team that we can play to beat St Johnstone who have had our number this season.
McGregor is our best defender should be him and either Hanlon or Porteuos
Hanlon has the experience Porteuos is better in the air.
Hallberg or Murphy if fit enough starting before Newel

Macy
McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon or Porteous
Doig
Boyle
Gogic
Hallberg or Murphy
Irvine
Nisbet
Doidge

erin go bragh
17-05-2021, 08:04 PM
Rocky is a proven international keeper and the best on our books ,,, but many want Macey to start in front of him 🥺
Playing our best in every position possible surely gives us a better chance to win it

Hibernianinc
17-05-2021, 08:37 PM
There are really only 2 debates.

Macey has the gloves and although not as proven as Rocky, hasn’t done anything to warrant being dropped from his cup run.

I’d play Daz over Porto, but I don’t think Ross will.

Hallberg has made it a tougher call, but I think Jack will pick Gogic / Newall before him.

Last 2 games we lost to St J we started with Boyle / Nisbet up front.

Play Doidge and go at them from the off with 3 up top.

First goal Hibs and we’ll win this.

Hibeewilly
17-05-2021, 08:39 PM
Rocky is a proven international keeper and the best on our books ,,, but many want Macey to start in front of him 🥺
Playing our best in every position possible surely gives us a better chance to win it
I agree with you erin.......Rocky had a good game against Celtic and should start and McGregor was superb on Saturday so starts for me as well. The first two goals we lost in the league cup semi against St Johnstone shows we need Darren in there. Ryan is a good player with great potential but is still a bit rash and inconsistent. He'll definitely have his day but I'd leave him out on Saturday

JimBHibees
17-05-2021, 08:44 PM
There are really only 2 debates.

Macey has the gloves and although not as proven as Rocky, hasn’t done anything to warrant being dropped from his cup run.

I’d play Daz over Porto, but I don’t think Ross will.

Hallberg has made it a tougher call, but I think Jack will pick Gogic / Newall before him.

Last 2 games we lost to St J we started with Boyle / Nisbet up front.

Play Doidge and go at them from the off with 3 up top.

First goal Hibs and we’ll win this.

Nisbet didn't play the last game against them. Doidge didn't start the semi final

Big_Franck
17-05-2021, 08:48 PM
It's absolutely mind boggling to me that we wouldn't go full strength in a Scottish cup final, let alone one with so much riding on it like this one. Marciano is without a doubt the better, more experienced goalkeeper so he should start. Next season is next season. Who do we think we are having a 'cup keeper' or giving someone 'a chance' in a scottish cup final ffs.

Best team right now for me is:

Marciano
McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon
Doig
Gogic
Newell
Irvine
Boyle
Doidge
Nisbet

If we weren't playing St Johnstone the right sided centre half could well have been Porteous but I think McGregor's dominance in the air is going to be key on Saturday.

banchoryhibs
17-05-2021, 08:58 PM
I'd go for experience. St J will attempt to stifle our game then rely upon set pieces and counter attacks to hurt us. I think that we need to set our stall out similar to the recent Aberdeen game and, to some extent, play them at their own game. They exposed us horribly in the league cup semi.

My team would be:

McGinn....McGregor....Hanlon....Stevenson

Daz over Porto and Lewis over Josh. This is a less adventurous side but one that will keep out back door well and truly shut. We will score!

I also liked Gordon Strachan's point regarding Macey - saing that he's a huge presence to have in our goals and that could be the decider especially if the game went to penalties.

Hibernianinc
17-05-2021, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;6568076]Nisbet didn't play the last game against them. Doidge didn't start the semi final[/QUOTE

Both BBC and google sports have Nisbet starting in the 0-1 defeat.

I honestly can’t remember so rely on the reports, accept I and they could both be wrong?

JimBHibees
17-05-2021, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;6568076]Nisbet didn't play the last game against them. Doidge didn't start the semi final[/QUOTE

Both BBC and google sports have Nisbet starting in the 0-1 defeat.

I honestly can’t remember so rely on the reports, accept I and they could both be wrong?

Nisbet was injured. Boyle and Doidge played up front.

Nisbet and Doidge haven't started any of the games this season v Saints together.

Hibernianinc
17-05-2021, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=Hibernianinc;6568131]

Nisbet and Doidge haven't started any of the games this season v Saints together.

Cool 👍

Time to fix that on Saturday then.

PH91
17-05-2021, 10:02 PM

I think this is bang on and your point r.e. hallberg/newell can also be applied to mcgregor/porteous.

I would be amazed if this isn't the starting 11.

LeithMike
19-05-2021, 07:11 AM

It was a similar position in the 2017-18 league cup final semi against Celtic. Ross Laidlaw had come in to the team after Marciano was injured and done nothing wrong so Lennon stuck with him for the semi. To this day, I think most Hibs fans there think the game would have panned out differently with Marciano in goals.

If you want to win the cup, you play your best team. This is not like England where the cup isnt as important and teams play weaker teams. The cup final is the most important game of any season for Hibs and it's strange to handicap yourself from the start by saying you'll play your second choice goalkeeper come what may. I hope Hibs dont do this next year. Macey seems a fine goalkeeper but he's not proven himself like Marciano. I'm also not a fan of changing goalkeepers and like a clear no.1. I dont think its a position where adding pressure is good and leads to mistakes.

Playing the best team also means McGregor over Porteous for me. Even though we got a clean sheet in the semi-final, I thought Porteous was erratic. If JR can calm him down and get him more composed then fine but on form there is a stronger case for McGregor.

Hallberg v Newell is closer but I'd start Hallberg and it gives the option of bringing on Newell if we need to be more expansive.

All that said, I think JR will go with the reverse and desperately hope it works.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
19-05-2021, 07:42 AM
Just watched the highlights of the semi final..

No Doidge that day and Irvine only 2nd game for Hibs.

We had so many chances early on..worth a watch to remind how we should have been ahead.

https://youtu.be/zxCk6xnK7Tw

X2 crosses = 2 goals against.

McGregor would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

happiehibbie
19-05-2021, 07:51 AM

I Agree Porto has done nothing wrong Macey will be No1 next season

Am I wrong to feel to confident GGTTH

neil7908
19-05-2021, 08:01 AM
We've gone 3 games without a win or a goal against St Johnstone - do we need to think about some changes in personnel and approach?

I worry we don't seem to have learned how to beat them and will just try the same approach again on Saturday.

scoopyboy
19-05-2021, 08:03 AM

Not wrong at all. Hibs players are confident and so should the fans.

I sometimes feel as a club we aren't positive enough (me included).

scoopyboy
19-05-2021, 08:05 AM
We've gone 3 games without a win or a goal against St Johnstone - do we need to think about some changes in personnel and approach?

I worry we don't seem to have learned how to beat them and will just try the same approach again on Saturday.

The team that will play on Saturday will not be the team that has been defeated by them this season.

So you will get your different personnel and the approach will be fine.

GreenCastle
19-05-2021, 08:06 AM

He gave away the goal against Saints in last game at ER.

He was at fault for one of the goals in the semi final. He has made some mistakes this season in other games which have cost us. Yes he’s learning but McGregor is playing well.

If Porto plays against Saints they will be delighted.

Brightside
19-05-2021, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=Hibernianinc;6568131]

Thats a huge difference for this game that i think most of us have forgotten about. :aok::top marks

JimBHibees
19-05-2021, 09:33 PM
Thats a huge difference for this game that i think most of us have forgotten about. :aok::top marks

Agree should mean we can press their defence better and hopefully create more.

Franck Stanton
19-05-2021, 11:11 PM

Or:

Two very good teams/ formations, which, if either picked I would be confident of winning the game.

We are going to win this cup on Saturday.

:flag: :flag: :flag:I

theonlywayisup
20-05-2021, 06:46 AM

Or:

Interesting!

I feel this cup final is going to be won by the team that counteracts the strengths of the opposition better. Saints have done well in stifling our creativity in recent games, although you'll recall that for the first period of the semi we could have been a couple of goals up. Also, for me, first goal wins the cup final. It's the trend in the vast majority of recent cup finals and in virtually all Hibs games this season.

So with that in mind, Jack Ross and his backroom team are going to have to be meticulous in their planning.

Am I correct that Saints play with a front three. Then there's no way we'll play a back three against them. That would be suicidal. So for me, it's the usual back four, with McGregor over Porto.

The other big decision is where to play Boyle. Sometimes, I find, if he plays wide in a front three, the ball doesn't get to him, especially when we play the better more organised teams. Whereas, in a deeper midfield role he ends up have two players (or more) to get past. I would rather he plays wide in a front three, but this needs the right midfield to get the ball to him. Or mix things up and put him more through the middle or onto the left. The great things about Hibs is that we can change things around. Once, we've decided where Boyle plays that dictates who we play and in what formation elsewhere.

For me, we can't play Boyle and Murphy in the same starting eleven, that would leave us too open. Great if we score first, but this is not a game to go behind first.

So, my team? I really don't know. Thank goodness I don't have to pick the team.

Sioux
20-05-2021, 08:06 AM
JR has a couple of decisions to make re starting 11 as we know, but everyone who is in the frame to start knows how the team plays, and will know their role within the team. They have all done it before. There won't be any surprises. Saturday is all about the players doing their jobs.

Individually I'd like to see a bit more aggression from Nisbet, Newell and Hanlon. Don't just compete with their immediate opponent, but try to dominate them. Let the opposition think "aw naw here he comes again".

In that respect McGregor over Porto, but wary of Hanlon dealing high with balls over the top into the inside right channel, and don't want him going walk about and leaving a gap in behind him.

Macey

McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Irvine
Gogic
Newell
Doig

Nisbet
Doidge

That line up can adapt to a different shape if the need arises during periods of the game, change from an attacking set up to a solid defensive
4 5 1 if that's also need at times.

But no no matter what tactics JR's uses within the basic team shape, the players will determine whether the cup is won or lost.

They are good enough, so go out and do it.

wookie70
20-05-2021, 09:42 AM
I think his only decision is Daz or Ryan. Newell plays if fit, if not Hallberg and Ross seems to be a man of his word so Macey starts the Cup games. For me I would go with Daz. He seems to have given us a lift, has performed very well or better in the games he has played and he will be a massive presence. There won't be many cup winners in the team so adding Daz to Hanlon gives us more course and distance.

If it was me picking the team I would seriously consider Lewis too but he hasn't had much game time. Doig has been brilliant this year but he hasn't really done that much going forward the last month or so. Doig will start though

Stuart93
20-05-2021, 10:04 AM
I think his only decision is Daz or Ryan. Newell plays if fit, if not Hallberg and Ross seems to be a man of his word so Macey starts the Cup games. For me I would go with Daz. He seems to have given us a lift, has performed very well or better in the games he has played and he will be a massive presence. There won't be many cup winners in the team so adding Daz to Hanlon gives us more course and distance.

If it was me picking the team I would seriously consider Lewis too but he hasn't had much game time. Doig has been brilliant this year but he hasn't really done that much going forward the last month or so. Doig will start though

Don’t understand your last point tbh, why would you want to drop one of our best players this season for a cup final? Especially when you say you want to drop him because “he hasn’t done much going forward the last month or so”, I’m not sure Stevenson would give us more than Doig going forward

Sioux
20-05-2021, 10:09 AM

Doig is less effective just now because the opposition are now wary of his threat, and naturally have taken steps to tighten up on that area of the park. That is a compliment in favour of Doig and not a stick to beat him with.

wookie70
20-05-2021, 11:38 AM
Doig is less effective just now because the opposition are now wary of his threat, and naturally have taken steps to tighten up on that area of the park. That is a compliment in favour of Doig and not a stick to beat him with.

I'm not beating him with it. The main advantage in Doig is his forward abilities. They haven't been that evident lately, I'd agree with you in terms of why. If he isn't that effective going forward then Lewis may be the better option as he is stronger defensively. Ross hasn't given Lewis much game time of late though so it would be difficult to throw him in. Not that I think Ross has any thoughts of starting Lewis. It is my opinion that I think Doig's effectiveness, specifically going forward has dipped and I think Lewis is a stronger defender as well as a winner of cups. Nothing against Doig, he has been very good in his first season with our first team. My thoughts are, we will win if we are strong defensively as we have so many ways of scoring ourselves. I feel the same way with Daz. He is better defensively than Porteous but not as good with the ball. I'd go for Daz because of that and his experience in winning cup finals. Daz hasn't played too many games this year either

B.H.F.C
20-05-2021, 11:44 AM
I'm not beating him with it. The main advantage in Doig is his forward abilities. They haven't been that evident lately, I'd agree with you in terms of why. If he isn't that effective going forward then Lewis may be the better option as he is stronger defensively. Ross hasn't given Lewis much game time of late though so it would be difficult to throw him in. Not that I think Ross has any thoughts of starting Lewis. It is my opinion that I think Doig's effectiveness, specifically going forward has dipped and I think Lewis is a stronger defender as well as a winner of cups. Nothing against Doig, he has been very good in his first season with our first team. My thoughts are, we will win if we are strong defensively as we have so many ways of scoring ourselves. I feel the same way with Daz. He is better defensively than Porteous but not as good with the ball. I'd go for Daz because of that and his experience in winning cup finals. Daz hasn't played too many games this year either

Doig is a better defender than Lewis for me. I think him replacing Lewis has been a big part of our improvement defensively.

wookie70
20-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Don’t understand your last point tbh, why would you want to drop one of our best players this season for a cup final? Especially when you say you want to drop him because “he hasn’t done much going forward the last month or so”, I’m not sure Stevenson would give us more than Doig going forward

He wouldn't going forward but he would in defence. Saying that Lewis was excellent in a game recently when going forward, think it was against Livi. My hesitation was he hadn't played that many games although he has had a couple of starts recently both of which he played well in. It is a moot point though as Doig will start.

He's here!
20-05-2021, 05:23 PM
I know he's the on-field skipper but is it generally accepted that Hanlon should automatically start? Personally I'm inclined to fancy Porteous and McGregor for the final. Overall I admire Hanlon as a player but I've never been convinced he's got enough presence about him, especially for a game like this when we really need to stamp real authority on things early doors.

B.H.F.C
20-05-2021, 05:25 PM
I know he's the on-field skipper but is it generally accepted that Hanlon should automatically start? Personally I'm inclined to fancy Porteous and McGregor for the final. Overall I admire Hanlon as a player but I've never been convinced he's got enough presence about him, especially for a game like this when we really need to stamp real authority on things early doors.

Have never been his biggest fan but Hanlon has been comfortably our best centre half this season.

The Tubs
20-05-2021, 05:27 PM

Definitely. He’s probably our most reliable player. In my opinion, it’s often hard to be a captain when there aren’t that many other leaders in the team or when new guys are finding their feet, but I think the team has a bit more character about it now than a few months ago.

Brightside
21-05-2021, 11:25 AM
Calum Davidson claiming he will only have 3 subs due to covid outbreak.

MartinfaePorty
21-05-2021, 11:29 AM
Calum Davidson claiming he will only have 3 subs due to covid outbreak.Ah, the Hearts pre-match strategy

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk