PDA

View Full Version : Rest players or maintain momentum?

Monts
13-05-2021, 09:11 AM
With saturdays game against celtic being a dead rubber, should we rest our key players?

Or is it better to try to maintain momentum? A win against one of the OF would be a big boost, but we could be risking injuries, and with a small squad, we can't afford to lose any key players.

hibeelovin90
13-05-2021, 09:14 AM
With saturdays game against celtic being a dead rubber, should we rest our key players?

Or is it better to try to maintain momentum? A win against one of the OF would be a big boost, but we could be risking injuries, and with a small squad, we can't afford to lose any key players.

I think rest everyone we can, no point risking injury to anyone. Start the youth

Since452

It would be madness to risk any of our key players in a meaningless game

calumhibee1
Rest.

If it was our only game for a couple of weeks I’d say play them all but the final comes around so quick.

It’s a shame because I think we’d beat them which would be a great way to round off the season.

hibee-boys
We’ve had the boost by beating Aberdeen and securing 3rd, second XI to start against Celtic.

Billy Whizz
13-05-2021, 09:17 AM

We don’t have the biggest squad, but you’d expect a few who haven’t played a lot, to get some game time

Hibbyradge
13-05-2021, 10:06 AM
They need a rest, physically for sure, but mentally too.

They've been operating at full tilt for the last 2 games so give them a chance to regroup and then refocus.

That may be by withdrawing them from Saturday's squad entirely, or just by letting them have a run without any real pressure to perform.

I'm hoping to see some of the younger guys getting a game, I'm very keen to see Laidlaw, but I don't want them getting humiliated by Celtic who will probably play a strong team.

BroxburnHibee
13-05-2021, 10:12 AM
I think Rocky will play as its probably his last game but rest of team will be fringe players maybe even a couple of youngsters. Couldn't care less what the score is.

Only one game matters now

where'stheslope
13-05-2021, 10:12 AM
Rest players and Celtic rout us, its a big negative going into any Cup Final!
Our opponents appear to be in trouble with covid before the final, I don't know if a postponement if could be asked for?
So far they have 9 cases, up from 4, last night they only managed 5 subs.

Mon Dieu4
13-05-2021, 10:15 AM
Our opponents appear to be in trouble with covid before the final, I don't know if a postponement if could be asked for?

Our fringe players getting beat off Celtic in a game that means nothing has zero negative impact imo

Due to the Euros there won't be any scope for a postponement of games either

Aldo
13-05-2021, 10:17 AM
I’d rest the following

Doidge
Nisbet
Boyler
Gogic
Doig

Bringing in

Magennis
Stevenson
Wright
Murphy

And whoever else he decides to play.

I’d like to rest Hanlon and McGinn but not sure that’ll happen!

I don’t want much!

Really need to protect our front 3 and Gogic at the very least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aldo
13-05-2021, 10:18 AM

Not sure it will get postponed but then again who knows.

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2021, 10:19 AM
We will rest the bulk of the first team, Jack Ross has already said so apparently. I agree with him, they must be mentally and physically tired after their exertions this season, time for some rest before one more push. :thumbsup:

O'Rourke3
13-05-2021, 10:23 AM
It's a good game to give our normal substitutes game time. Gray, McGregor, Maginnes, Murphy et al. One or two may be starters at Hampden so they need a bit more in their legs.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

MikeyS
13-05-2021, 10:25 AM
I'd be playing;

1. John Leslie
2. Andy Murray
3. Jamie Murray
4. Charlie Reid
5. Craig Reid
6. Irvine Welsh
7. Dougray Scott
8. Lloyd Quinan
9. Finley Quaye
10.Grant Stott
11.Drey Wright

Kato
13-05-2021, 10:28 AM
I'd be playing;

1. John Leslie
2. Andy Murray
3. Jamie Murray
4. Charlie Reid
5. Craig Reid
6. Irvine Welsh
7. Dougray Scott
8. Lloyd Quinan
9. Finley Quaye
10.Grant Stott
11.Drey WrightWelsh is pish.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

scoopyboy
13-05-2021, 10:31 AM

They have some players available again for Saturday.

They've not had 9 cases, some / most have been self isolating after negative tests.

MB62
13-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Is Scotty back available for us again after his loan to ICT?

Get SDG, Wright, Rocky and a few young laddies playing.
We need to rest our guys, Nisbett, Boyle Newell, Doidge, Doig, Hanlon, Gogic, Porto?
Couldn't care what team he puts out if he is resting a lot of our main guys. Can't afford injury or even suspension (straight red would count as suspension for the final)? Don't expect it to be a dirty game, neither team has anything to play for so it could be a bit of a training session stroll for both, similar to the last game of the season against der hun when a draw/win? suited them to win the league and suited us to qualify for europe.

Hibs07p
I'd be playing;

1. John Leslie
2. Andy Murray
3. Jamie Murray
4. Charlie Reid
5. Craig Reid
6. Irvine Welsh
7. Dougray Scott
8. Lloyd Quinan
9. Finley Quaye
10.Grant Stott
11.Drey Wright

Great selection, but I would use Fish at no 11.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Since452
Is Scott Allan able to play? I'd give him the 90 against Celtic if so

Brightside
13-05-2021, 10:34 AM

No no no.

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2021, 10:35 AM

Suspended , as is Boyle and Gogic.

Jones28
13-05-2021, 11:08 AM
Rest everyone, rest Jack Ross, rest Ron Gordon, rest the ****ing lot of them and play the kids.

Billy Whizz
13-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Is Scotty back available for us again after his loan to ICT?

Get SDG, Wright, Rocky and a few young laddies playing.
We need to rest our guys, Nisbett, Boyle Newell, Doidge, Doig, Hanlon, Gogic, Porto?
Couldn't care what team he puts out if he is resting a lot of our main guys. Can't afford injury or even suspension (straight red would count as suspension for the final)? Don't expect it to be a dirty game, neither team has anything to play for so it could be a bit of a training session stroll for both, similar to the last game of the season against der hun when a draw/win? suited them to win the league and suited us to qualify for europe.

Wonder if Scotty is kicking himself, missing out on a cup final

Shrekko
13-05-2021, 11:17 AM
It's difficult with a fairly threadbare squad to rest as many as we'd like I'd guess - but I certainly don't want to see Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle anywhere near the pitch on Saturday.

Onion
13-05-2021, 11:20 AM
Git rest key players as we’re about to play the most important game in years. Imagine if one or more got injured in a meaningless match, and jeapodised the Cup Final ? JR would get hung for that.

Ozyhibby
13-05-2021, 11:21 AM

He wouldn’t have played anyway. Don’t think he’ll be in our long term plans.

Pretty Boy
13-05-2021, 11:27 AM
Bit of both.

Aside from anything else we don't really have all that much choice given we are operating with a relatively small squad.

NAE NOOKIE
13-05-2021, 11:43 AM
By this time none of the regular starters are exactly in need of match practice. Anybody asking this question only needs to think of Martin Boyle pulling a hamstring half an hour into the game or Kevin Nisbet getting a foot injury in what is an absolutely meaningless match for us.

Dundee United rested half their team before going to Pittodrie and they absolutely crushed an Aberdeen team who had played their strongest team in midweek. Resting players makes total sense.

nlandsafchibee
13-05-2021, 11:55 AM
Yes a bit of both .I dont see him just throwing the kids in as he is precious of their developement. I think Kevin will be in goal .I wouldnt like to tell Paul Mc Ginn to have a rest .Obviously rest the players with knocks ,although the least injured or tired might have to be on bench to make nos up .So starts for Wright, Kyle,Murphy,Lewis Gogic ?.It is going to be a very hard balancing act .

J-C
13-05-2021, 11:58 AM
I’d rest the following

Doidge
Nisbet
Boyler
Gogic
Doig

Bringing in

Magennis
Stevenson
Wright
Murphy

And whoever else he decides to play.

I’d like to rest Hanlon and McGinn but not sure that’ll happen!

I don’t want much!

Really need to protect our front 3 and Gogic at the very least!

Ae you going for the Levein 460 tactic by wanting all our attackers rested.

Shrekko
13-05-2021, 12:31 PM

If one of our 45 goal attacking trio gets injured on Sat who would replace them in the final?

Aldo
13-05-2021, 12:34 PM

Aye. Tbh whilst we want to put in a good show I want our strongest team available for the Final.

No injuries, boggles or daft suspensions!

Tommy75
13-05-2021, 12:38 PM

Losing the play-off didn't impact the 2016 final. Losing to Celtic in a 'dead rubber' will have absolutely no effect on the final this year.

jeffers
13-05-2021, 12:39 PM
Of the players I’d least like to be without for the final, Martin Boyle would that player. So definitely rest him.

basehibby
13-05-2021, 01:07 PM
There are a few who have a good chance of getting on the pitch at Hamden for whom a bit of game time would not hurt at all. I'm thinking Murphy, Halberg and McGregor for example. Other than them I'd rest whoever we can but with our small squad there will probably be a few who will start at both ER and Hapden.

Eyrie
13-05-2021, 06:59 PM
A rest won't break momentum given we've just come off a mid week win at Pittodrie.

The bigger issue is who to bring in so we can rest players. Wright for Boyle, Stevenson for Doig, Magennis for Gogic/Irvine are all easy choices. We can only rest one of Doidge and Nisbet, so maybe 70 minutes for the former and then 20 for the latter with Murphy or a youth (Shanley?) as the other striker. Gray for McGinn is a possibility, as is Porteous for Hanlon.

JohnM1875
13-05-2021, 07:11 PM
Jack Ross already said post match that he'll be resting players which is a good thing I reckon!

Definitely shouldn't be risking the front three at least. I'd also be resting Gogic, McGinn and Doig.

Hibbyradge
13-05-2021, 07:32 PM

He's in Germany with Mrs Marciano.

CMurdoch
13-05-2021, 07:36 PM
GK Marciano
RB Gray
LB Stevenson
CB McGregor
CB Porteous
M Hallberg
M Magennis
M Wright
M Bradley
F Laidlaw
F Murphy

This starting 11 is the lowest risk strategy whilst giving those who might play a part in the final some needed minutes of game time. Only fly in the ointment could be Hallberg's possible injury.
Hanlon is our only left sided CB so not worth risking him hence playing both right sided CB's given it is unlikely both would get injured or sent off.

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2021, 07:48 PM
:faf:

The Tubs
13-05-2021, 07:49 PM

Lucky b*****d. Does Ofir know?

Cocaine&Caviar
14-05-2021, 05:35 AM
GK Marciano
RB Gray
LB Stevenson
CB McGregor
CB Porteous
M Hallberg
M Magennis
M Wright
M Bradley
F Laidlaw
F Murphy

This starting 11 is the lowest risk strategy whilst giving those who might play a part in the final some needed minutes of game time. Only fly in the ointment could be Hallberg's possible injury.
Hanlon is our only left sided CB so not worth risking him hence playing both right sided CB's given it is unlikely both would get injured or sent off.

In agreement with this, but id put D. Gray to RCB amd bring in Cadden, resting Porteous.

bigwheel
14-05-2021, 06:01 AM
In agreement with this, but id put D. Gray to RCB amd bring in Cadden, resting Porteous.

Cadden is out for the season ..injured back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
14-05-2021, 06:11 AM

Must be you would have thought. While going out and playing would be good for game time must feel a bit left out when now back at training and all other players are looking forward to the final.

JimBHibees
14-05-2021, 06:14 AM
Think Jack mentioned giving some of the young players on the bench a run a few weeks back. While Celtic probably isn't the ideal game it is the only game we have so assume Bradley and maybe Laidlaw will start maybe another also. Makes sense to give them a run. Wonder if Zabrowski will also play.

Brightside
14-05-2021, 06:37 AM
Due to Covid rules I’m not sure how many we will be able to change. They would have to be in our testing window this week.

wookie70
14-05-2021, 07:46 AM
GK Marciano
RB Gray
LB Stevenson
CB McGregor
CB Porteous
M Hallberg
M Magennis
M Wright
M Bradley
F Laidlaw
F Murphy

McGinn has played every minute of every league game. That is a massive achievement and given he is pretty robust I doubt he would want to miss out on Saturday. I would put him in your team and take Daz out. I'd also have Kev in goals

GreenNWhiteArmy
14-05-2021, 09:01 AM
Play the centre half's and GK that will play the final. So Macey, Hanlon and Daz

Bring in SDG and Lewy'sgottwo

Midfield bring in Hallberg, Magennis, Wright and Murphy

Nisbet and laidlaw up front

Fill the bench with youngsters

Billy Whizz
14-05-2021, 09:05 AM
Due to Covid rules I’m not sure how many we will be able to change. They would have to be in our testing window this week.

Depends how many of the youngsters have been training with the 1st team

hibbyfraelibby
14-05-2021, 09:24 AM
We’ve had the boost by beating Aberdeen and securing 3rd, second XI to start against Celtic.

We currently dont have enough players for a 2nd XI as most of the youngsers are out on loan and cannot be recalled.

Brightside
14-05-2021, 09:25 AM
Depends how many of the youngsters have been training with the 1st team

Exactly. And I think they needed to be in there since Monday? (Not sure when we test).

Brightside
14-05-2021, 09:26 AM
We currently dont have enough players for a 2nd XI as most of the youngsers are out on loan and cannot be recalled.

We have quite a few back now. As billy says it just depends if they have been added to the first team bubble.

Hillsidehibby
14-05-2021, 09:30 AM
I wouldn’t mind a game Jack. Probably in a sweeping role.
I would need boots though.

calumhibee1
14-05-2021, 09:30 AM
I wouldn’t mind a game Jack. Probably in a sweeping role.
I would need boots though.

They can’t play if they’ve been out on loan from during/after the January window.

hibbyfraelibby
14-05-2021, 09:37 AM
Dabrowski
Gray McGregor Mackie Stevenson
Wright Murphy Laidlaw Magennis
O'Connor Bradley

Sammy and Rocky on the bench as back up keepers and given final 20 minutes up front as a strike force😉

13 players will be enough against Celtic

wookie70
14-05-2021, 11:19 AM
They can’t play if they’ve been out on loan from during/after the January window.

That is a ridiculous rule when you consider it could harm a players development. Saturday's game might have been a chance for someone to put a marker down and make a manager think. I get it with seasoned pros but for U20s the rules should be more flexible and they should be able to be recalled especially when the team they have been loaned to have finished their seasons.

northstandhibby
14-05-2021, 11:27 AM

I agree. I was worried about some of them against the dandies but that was a key game. This is totally meaningless in the big picture. I'd rest the majority of them and give some of the fringe players and youth a shot instead.

Lendo
14-05-2021, 02:47 PM
Reading between the lines in Jack Ross’s pre-match interview I think we will be seeing Marciano back in goals for the final league game of the season.

Bangkok Hibby
14-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Reading between the lines in Jack Ross’s pre-match interview I think we will be seeing Marciano back in goals for the final league game of the season.

Meaningless game so that's fine

supermcginn
14-05-2021, 02:59 PM
I'm still angry about us risking sauzee in a dead rubber the week before the 2001 cup final which ended up with him playing half fit in the final. Play the youth and fringe players couldn't care less if we get pumped tomorrow.

GRA
14-05-2021, 03:01 PM
Play the under 15s and get hammered 10-0 and I wouldn't care. Nothing at stake in this game but win the week after and its our most successful season for decades. No brainer really.