PDA

View Full Version : Porteous or Daz

Stuart93
12-05-2021, 09:26 PM
For the cup final?

I was still of the opinion that it would 100% be Porteous but after watching Daz tonight JR has a decision to make

Felt a lot comfier at the back with McGregor in there. The absolute no nonsense CB we sometimes need.

calumhibee1
12-05-2021, 09:27 PM
McGregor by some distance. The guy is absolutely immense and has been every time he’s been called upon this season.

WhileTheChief..
McGregor.

We win when he plays.

Joe6-2
No contest
Daz

superfurryhibby
Daz.

bigwheel
12-05-2021, 09:28 PM
Whoever Jack picks...trust him to get it right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stevie Reid
12-05-2021, 09:29 PM
Daz 100% - no decision to make for me.

The Spaceman
Daz every day of the week for this. St J have Porto’s number and actively target him at set pieces. Daz would love the challenge and be a much safer option for us here.

Coco Bryce
For the cup final?

I was still of the opinion that it would 100% be Porteous but after watching Daz tonight JR has a decision to make

Felt a lot comfier at the back with McGregor in there. The absolute no nonsense CB we sometimes need.

Daz for me 100% No nonsense does whats needed.

Porto still far far too erratic and too many mistakes.

poulton hibs
12-05-2021, 09:30 PM
Definitely Daz. Immense tonight.

OstKurve Hibs
12-05-2021, 09:30 PM
Got to be mcgregor, no contest.
Porto's young, he'll get his chances again whether its wi us or some1 else, but daz has to start the final ahead of him.
Oozes class and composure

jeffers
12-05-2021, 09:32 PM
Yup Daz for me too. In a cup final you want a defender to defend and limit mistakes. That’s what Daz does.

Sir David Gray
12-05-2021, 09:33 PM
I didn't see the match tonight but I'd say McGregor. I'd be a lot more confident with him in defence right now than Porteous.

GreenNWhiteArmy
Daz

A proper centre half. Laces through the ball when needed

CapitalGreen
I’m probably edging towards McGregor too but he’s isn’t immune to errors on the big stage at Hampden himself. Logan’s heroics bailed him out a couple of times v Dundee Utd in 2016 and the less said about his performance against Aberdeen in 2017 the better.

lord bunberry
12-05-2021, 09:34 PM
It would be incredibly harsh on Porteous to be dropped for the final, but big Daz is absolutely made for a team like St Johnstone. Hopefully we’re 3-0 up and he can bring Porteous on.

GGTTH07
12-05-2021, 09:35 PM
Both could play. Given the set piece threat they offer, Porteous and McGregor and probably our two best two at winning defensive headers. Tough picks for JR!

AliboyFC
12-05-2021, 09:35 PM
For the cup final?

Daz :flag:

flash
12-05-2021, 09:37 PM
It would be incredibly harsh on Porteous to be dropped for the final, but big Daz is absolutely made for a team like St Johnstone. Hopefully we’re 3-0 up and he can bring Porteous on.

That's how I see it. If it was Rangers or Celtic I would pick Porteous all day long but St Johnstone are right up Daz street.
Tough, tough call mind

Vault Boy
Daz sneaks it, but I'd be comfortable with either.

Stuart93
Both could play. Given the set piece threat they offer, Porteous and McGregor and probably our two best two at winning defensive headers. Tough picks for JR!

I feel Porteous can lapse in concentration at set pieces sometimes, sometimes just in general but don’t get the same feeling with Daz

Swedish hibee
Daz for the final

AliboyFC
Daz for me 100% No nonsense does whats needed.

Porto still far far too erratic and too many mistakes.

Yeh still has a long way to come.

hibbysam
Porteous for me, but both are more than capable.

JeMeSouviens
12-05-2021, 09:39 PM
Not much between them but I think Daz/Paul are a better pair than Porto/Paul.

Jones28
12-05-2021, 09:40 PM
Brutal on Porteous who has by and large been solid this season.

There’s no time for sentiment in a cup final though, I could see him starting the back line that will play in the final against Celtic, especially for Daz’s benefit and get him some game time.

scoopyboy
12-05-2021, 09:40 PM

There is no chance both will start in the final.

When defending set pieces Gogic and Doidge are excellent as well

The Harp Awakes
12-05-2021, 09:41 PM
Both are massive Hibs fans and excellent players. I think Darren's power and will to win will be crucial in the final, especially with St J's physicality. I'd go with Darren.

tonyrougier123
12-05-2021, 09:44 PM
Porteous had a stinker against st Johnstone at Easter Road poor passes needless yellow card,we look more assured with daz at the back when he’s came in this season both very good centre half’s however, porteous been very good at times commanding the back line.it’s tough but it’s Daz for me.

12-05-2021, 09:44 PM
Daz for me too. Hasn't put a foot wrong every time he's come in. He's playing like every match is his last one.

3pm
12-05-2021, 09:45 PM
Porteous will play. I am not saying I agree but I don't even think it'll be a decision to be honest.

calumhibee1
12-05-2021, 09:49 PM
Porteous will play. I am not saying I agree but I don't even think it'll be a decision to be honest.

I’m the opposite. I don’t think it’ll be a decision either but more because Daz has made himself undroppable imo.

TelaStella
12-05-2021, 09:50 PM
Daz but it’ll be Porto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unseen work
Can’t help but think Daz is better suited to playing against then. He’s just an absolute monster that dominates everything. You can also notice the difference in the organisation as hes always speaking and telling folk where to go.

It would be so harsh against Porteous as he has been very good overall.

Ideally I’d have both in but I can’t see it.

They’ll have Kane up top top who can he a handful.

3pm
I’m the opposite. I don’t think it’ll be a decision either but more because Daz has made himself undroppable imo.

We'll see mate.

Stanton Spence
12-05-2021, 09:58 PM
I’m the opposite. I don’t think it’ll be a decision either but more because Daz has made himself undroppable imo.I agree with 3pm and think Jack Ross will also stick with Porto and I think we miss Porto carrying the ball out from the back a fair bit.
It's a tough call but for me I think JR will go with Porteous

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

WestEndHibee
12-05-2021, 09:59 PM
I really rate porteous and if it was Dundee Utd in the final I’d pick him over Daz but against St Johnstone McGregor is better suited for me. Either way feel both have earned the chance to play.

green day
12-05-2021, 10:06 PM
No room for sentiment. Porto has made a few silly mistakes recently, but is generally a good player.

Daz is a warrior, a leader, less gifted technically, but I would start with him.

We can't afford defensive cockup v St J

Take the lead, kill it off and bring Porto on then.

Irish_Steve
12-05-2021, 10:06 PM
It`s a close call but I would go for Daz as he has the experience of playing (and winning!) a cup final. I doubt it but Porto could freeze on the big day if he thinks too much about it.

Also, at one point in the second half tonight, Daz just put his foot through the ball and launched it into the Aberdeen half - sometimes you have to do that. Kicked the ball nearly as far as Kamberi can trap it

#persevered
12-05-2021, 10:07 PM
I'm amazed daz hasn't played more. Porto is a lot better on the ball, his passing is great, but in my uneducated opinion - in every other respect daz is stronger.

I love them both and it's a great problem to have, two brilliant centre backs.

Both true hibees and whoever plays, I'm happy.

wookie70
12-05-2021, 10:17 PM
Daz, as I think we have far more going forward that St J. so being as solid at the back is important. I also think Hanlon looks even more secure when Daz is there.

calumhibee1
12-05-2021, 10:19 PM
I'm amazed daz hasn't played more. Porto is a lot better on the ball, his passing is great, but in my uneducated opinion - in every other respect daz is stronger.

I love them both and it's a great problem to have, two brilliant centre backs.

Both true hibees and whoever plays, I'm happy.

Likewise with Daz. He’s still our best defender and whilst he’s still able to play I’m surprised he’s not played a lot more.

howdenthehibby
12-05-2021, 10:24 PM
Big YLT Daz.He's a class defender

Magpie
12-05-2021, 10:26 PM
McGregor 110%. If he starts the final I will feel a lot more confident we will win.

h1bs4life
12-05-2021, 10:30 PM
McGregor is 1st pick out the three , McGregor / Hanlon or McGregor / Porteous would be happy with either.
Hanlon is in possession of the jersey , McGregor / Hanlon for me.

brianmc
12-05-2021, 10:37 PM
Daz, no question.

delbert
12-05-2021, 11:14 PM
For the cup final?

Not only do most fans feel comfier when McGregor is in there, the difference in Hanlon is there for all to see, he can defend without having to worry what Porteous is up to and he looks a completely different defender full of confidence, Porteous will go on to great things but only if he learns to defend like Darren McGregor and do the simple things properly

cabbageandribs1875
12-05-2021, 11:33 PM
absolutely Daz, 110%

if Ryan is still here this time next season he can play in our finals then :)

Ozyhibby
13-05-2021, 12:02 AM
McGregor.

Centre Hawf
13-05-2021, 12:31 AM
I would feel for Porteous if he is dropped for the Final for Daz considering how good he has been this season and part of our success this season.

But somewhere in my head says Daz might be the right option. Very much depends on his body though.

I think Ross will go with Porteous in the end though.

J-C
13-05-2021, 04:21 AM
Porteous may come back in for the Celtic game allowing Daz to rest up for the cup but for me Daz has to play in the final, he's our natural leader.

BILLYHIBS
13-05-2021, 05:14 AM
Porteous may come back in for the Celtic game allowing Daz to rest up for the cup but for me Daz has to play in the final, he's our natural leader.
This

Porto is first choice but starting to be erratic again

Daz when the chips are down you just know he won’t let us down for a Final swan song

Since90+2
13-05-2021, 05:18 AM
Darren is the best centre half at the club.

Robbo6-2
13-05-2021, 05:26 AM
I thought he was done but Daz has been sensational when called upon this season.

Since452
13-05-2021, 05:39 AM
Feel far less nervous with Daz in

Onion
13-05-2021, 06:01 AM
Darren McG for me. Been there, done it, and has been sensational when been called on recently.

Porto CAN be immense but still lacks discipline. Fear is always there he'll make a catastrophic mistake or have a rush of blood and get sent off. You can't carry that risk into a Cup Final.

Tambo
13-05-2021, 06:05 AM
McGregor for me. I thought between him and Gogic for motm last night.

MKHIBEE
13-05-2021, 06:07 AM
I would go with Darren, I think JR will go with Ryan, hopefully the vote of confidence will inspire Ryan to play his best game

theonlywayisup
13-05-2021, 06:08 AM
McGregor for me. I thought between him and Gogic for motm last night.

I agree with that, both were excellent.

I'd start with last night's team, assuming Hallberg is fit.

.Sean.
13-05-2021, 06:20 AM
Easily McGregor for me.

There’s a case foot Porteous but he’s still got that rawness and often liable to do something silly. Not a chance I’d be talking in a cup final

MunsterHibee
13-05-2021, 06:25 AM
Daz for me because of his experience and his physicality St J won't be able to rough him up easily and he'd relish the physical battle that comes with playing against St J. Would obviously be abit harsh on Porteous but they seem to have his number.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Hibs1969
13-05-2021, 06:27 AM
McGregor for me. He’s been outstanding in the games he’s played. If Saints had a Ryan Kent who ran at him and twisted and turned him I might be concerned but they don’t so is Darren for me.

CJHibby
13-05-2021, 06:31 AM
Think the team for the Cup Final will be Macey, Doig, Hanlon, McGregor, McGinn, Newell, Irvine, Gogic, Boyle, Doidge and Nisbet. If Porteous gets the nod, hope he has a stormer all the same.

mjhibby
13-05-2021, 07:09 AM
Daz for me. Just great at clearing with either head or feet. Lovely guy off the pitch, monster on the pitch.

Newry Hibs
13-05-2021, 07:21 AM
Tough call for JR.

Maybe he'll have an eye on next season as well. Depends how Porto would react to being dropped. He could be 'the boss doesn't trust me in a big game, then why am I here'. That would be a problem.

EdinMike
13-05-2021, 08:00 AM
I feel relaxed with McGregor in the side, so purely based on that it’s Daz for me.

Since90+2
13-05-2021, 08:04 AM
Tough call for JR.

Maybe he'll have an eye on next season as well. Depends how Porto would react to being dropped. He could be 'the boss doesn't trust me in a big game, then why am I here'. That would be a problem.

There shouldn't be any eyes on next season IMO. This is one of the biggest games in the club's history and definitely the biggest in the last 5 years.

What matters is a week on Saturday more than anything else.

calumhibee1
13-05-2021, 08:07 AM
There shouldn't be any eyes on next season IMO. This is one of the biggest games in the club's history and definitely the biggest in the last 5 years.

What matters is a week on Saturday more than anything else.

Yup. Whilst Porteous can count himself unlucky if he misses out there can be no thought given to his feelings when making the decision.

superfurryhibby
13-05-2021, 08:11 AM
McGregor for me. He’s been outstanding in the games he’s played. If Saints had a Ryan Kent who ran at him and twisted and turned him I might be concerned but they don’t so is Darren for me.

St Johnston will be throwing in crosses and hoofing long balls into the box, Darren is the man for the job.

martinmcgurk
13-05-2021, 08:16 AM
McGregor by some distance. The guy is absolutely immense and has been every time he’s been called upon this season.

I agree and also think Hanlon is a better player alongside McGregor.

CapitalGreen
If Saints go with Kane and Melhamed up front then Daz is the right choice. He’ll deal with high balls up to them well and not be bullied. Kane and Melhamed don’t have much in the way of pace to bother him.

If Saints go with Middleton and/or O’Halloran I’d be more concerned with starting Daz over Porteous. He was dreadfully exposed against the pace of Roberts and Cole in our home defeat to Motherwell resulting in his substitution just after half time.

sorrow sorrow
3rd in the league for the first time in 15 seasons with porteous a main stay at the heart of the defence so porteous for me but if mcgregor gets the nod I would be comfortable with that also.

Since90+2
13-05-2021, 08:19 AM
If Saints go with Kane and Melhamed up front then Daz is the right choice. He’ll deal with high balls up to them well and not be bullied. Kane and Melhamed don’t have much in the way of pace to bother him.

If Saints go with Middleton and/or O’Halloran I’d be more concerned with starting Daz over Porteous. He was dreadfully exposed against the pace of Roberts and Cole in our home defeat to Motherwell resulting in his substitution just after half time.

Kane does have pace. It's one of his best attributes.

J-C
13-05-2021, 08:27 AM
As pointed out I feel Hanlon is more comfortable with Daz. I get the feeling he's always covering for Porteous and maybe doesn't feel that cover is returned.

Bostonhibby
13-05-2021, 08:33 AM
We are incredibly fortunate to have such great options for the position, whilst we dont have the luxury of knowing who St Johnstone will play up front I'd pick McGregor for this one if its a straight choice between the two.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

hibee-boys
13-05-2021, 08:38 AM
Daz’s performance last night will have certainly given Jack Ross a big decision to make. I think it’s the only position that is potentially up for grabs as I’ve no doubt he’ll go with Irvine/Gogic/Newell in midfield. I think Jack see’s Ryan and Hanlon as his preferred centre half pairing but it may come down who’s best for the team we’re playing against and the style of football they’ve likely to play. I would want Ryan in there if a team is running at us but Daz if we’ll be bombarded with high balls. Glad I don’t have to make the decision, I’ll put my faith in the gut that’s led us to our best league finish in a long time👍

JammyDoidger
13-05-2021, 03:45 PM
Darren mcgregor he's a class defender.

Paul1642
13-05-2021, 03:59 PM
Hard on Porteous but got to be Daz. More consistent and with St Johnstone’s hopeful lack of chances we can’t afford any mistakes.

Baader
13-05-2021, 04:04 PM
Another vote for Daz. Harsh on Porteous but in a one off big game I think McGregor's experience could be crucial...

EI255
13-05-2021, 04:29 PM
For me, Daz.

Ultra consistent.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Peevemor
13-05-2021, 04:32 PM
Daz.

hibbydog
13-05-2021, 04:42 PM
Big Daz on account of his physicality and Porteous’ slight dip in form.

I think big Daz will see this as his last shot at a final. Remember his big roar when he lifted the cup in 2016? Spine tingling stuff. He’ll bring 100% to the game. I’d love it if a lifelong Hibby like him scored the winner.

It’s not just about sentiment though, I just worry that Porteous is more liable to be rash.

jacomo
13-05-2021, 04:52 PM
Tough call for JR.

No room for this kind of thinking imo.

We’ve got a cup final to play and given Porto’s performance against St J last time it has to be Daz.

Next season is next season.

Hibee Mac
13-05-2021, 07:33 PM

If Saints go with Middleton and/or O’Halloran I’d be more concerned with starting Daz over Porteous. He was dreadfully exposed against the pace of Roberts and Cole in our home defeat to Motherwell resulting in his substitution just after half time.Think this is a very good point - Middleton has gotten lucky imo with a few goals recently so he'll be thinking he's billy big baws and wanting to get one over us, I mean the guy was shooshing an empty FF stand after scoring an open goal tap in FFS...

To me he's one to watch if they start him and I'm not sure how McGregor would cope with him running at him - that being said he's unlikely to play down the middle so might not be a worry.

inglisavhibs
13-05-2021, 09:26 PM
I will be amazed if Porteous is not playing in the final. We have had our best defensive record for many a year with Hanlon and Porteous as centre back pairing for the vast majority of our games. Porteous has made errors yes but he is a huge influence on our team. Darren is a Hibs legend but I doubt he expects to play in the final. I also don’t think we defended that well last night as Aberdeen missed a few easy chances especially the one in the first half which would have changed the game somewhat.

WeeRussell
13-05-2021, 09:54 PM
I will be amazed if Porteous is not playing in the final. We have had our best defensive record for many a year with Hanlon and Porteous as centre back pairing for the vast majority of our games. Porteous has made errors yes but he is a huge influence on our team. Darren is a Hibs legend but I doubt he expects to play in the final. I also don’t think we defended that well last night as Aberdeen missed a few easy chances especially the one in the first half which would have changed the game somewhat.

Have to agree. I don’t think Porteous was having his best game before coming off in the semi-final but I’m almost certain he will start the final, and I think rightly so. Hope he has a stormer.

WeeRussell
13-05-2021, 09:56 PM
St Johnston will be throwing in crosses and hoofing long balls into the box, Darren is the man for the job.

Could well be right. But also think we are likely to have the vast majority of the ball, and Ryan is the best of all our centre halves at stepping out and playing with the ball at his feet (albeit that can be to his detriment as well!) and he’s something we will lose without him in.

mcohibs
13-05-2021, 10:06 PM
Daz interestingly coming out and saying he thinks Porteous deserves to start

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/darren-mcgregor-explains-why-fellow-hibs-fan-ryan-porteous-deserves-cup-final-place-ahead-of-him-3236234

northstandhibby
13-05-2021, 10:11 PM
An extremely tough call. Personally, I'd marginally plump for Daz as he has the experience and calm head and seems to have lost none of his defensive abilities as seen last night. Porto has that wee bit immaturity yet to be a bit rash at times when cooler head would refrain. Its wafer thin marginal though and I'll trust in Jack to get it right.

Andy74
13-05-2021, 10:12 PM
Has to be Daz for this one.

mcohibs
13-05-2021, 10:21 PM
Have to agree. I don’t think Porteous was having his best game before coming off in the semi-final but I’m almost certain he will start the final, and I think rightly so. Hope he has a stormer.

I suspect he will start. Let's hope this 'will he, won't he' narrative gives him a right boost to go and play a blinder

Magpie
13-05-2021, 10:28 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/darren-mcgregor-explains-why-fellow-hibs-fan-ryan-porteous-deserves-cup-final-place-ahead-of-him-3236234?fbclid=IwAR3dDN6Jb809CuFtvX39MLA5jnMD1546W 4LxRN1dJrEszRPciuGbNNwh2OQ

Wonderful man.

13-05-2021, 10:36 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/darren-mcgregor-explains-why-fellow-hibs-fan-ryan-porteous-deserves-cup-final-place-ahead-of-him-3236234?fbclid=IwAR3dDN6Jb809CuFtvX39MLA5jnMD1546W 4LxRN1dJrEszRPciuGbNNwh2OQ

Wonderful man.

That's a man who puts Hibs before himself. I'm hoping Daz, SDG and Lewis all get some minutes but realise it shouldn't be about sentimentality.

Nicho87
13-05-2021, 10:41 PM
There’s an argument with the way st Johnstone play there is room for both

Potentially could go with

Porto....mcgregor...hanlon

McGinn Irvine Newell gogic Doig

Boyle / Doidge / Nisbet

Wouldn’t usually want to pull one of front three but think we need big guys in there

If someone was to drop out I think it would be nisbet

But

Mcgregor will sit on the bench anyway I think Ross will back Porto

WhileTheChief..
13-05-2021, 10:46 PM

Wonderful man.

Fantastic.

Can’t think of the last time I loved a player so much. Pure Hibs.

WeeRussell
14-05-2021, 03:23 AM

Boyle / Doidge / Nisbet

Wouldn’t usually want to pull one of front three but think we need big guys in there

But

I don’t think there’s even the slightest of chances a fit Kevin Nisbet is sat on the bench for the cup final.

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2021, 05:34 AM
Mcgregor has never had issues dealing with pace, he is quick for a centre back. Not as quick as he was but still above average now.

Its rushing out of defence that has sometimes cost him. If you come forward and get turned, you are in trouble. It's why his best performances for hibs have been in a 3.

No real stress with whoever starts. Neither one guarantees anything and they've both made errors, Porteous' are just fresher in the memory.

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2021, 05:36 AM

Boyle / Doidge / Nisbet

But

There is zero argument for dropping Nisbet because we need "big guys". Ability wins games, not height.

Since452
14-05-2021, 05:52 AM

Boyle / Doidge / Nisbet

But

Let St Johnstone worry about us. No chance we'll drop one of our trio.

hibbysam
14-05-2021, 06:42 AM

Boyle / Doidge / Nisbet

But

The three players who have been instrumental in how we play and where we are, you’d drop one of them for the biggest game of the season?

scoopyboy
14-05-2021, 07:31 AM

Boyle / Doidge / Nisbet

But

The worst thing we could possibly do is start to sensationalise our starting line up because of bloody St.Johnstone.

Pick our strongest line up and have a good old fashioned square go with them.

Dropping Nisbet, Doidge or Boyle for the final is an absolute nonsense.

J-C
14-05-2021, 07:38 AM
The cup final team will be the same as Wednesday's except Ryan for Gaz, I think Ross will show loyalty to Ryan who's been his no.1 choice all season.

bod
14-05-2021, 07:40 AM
Daz gets my vote

JimBHibees
14-05-2021, 07:41 AM
The worst thing we could possibly do is start to sensationalise our starting line up because of bloody St.Johnstone.

Pick our strongest line up and have a good old fashioned square go with them.

Dropping Nisbet, Doidge or Boyle for the final is an absolute nonsense.

Agree totally. Personally comfortable whoever we pick between Daz and Ryan also as we should be stronger set pieces anyway with Gogic and Doidge playing. Assume it will be Ryan. No way on earth we should be leaving any of our attacking players out.

Andy74
14-05-2021, 07:54 AM
There is zero argument for dropping Nisbet because we need "big guys". Ability wins games, not height.

Nisbet is also the same height as Doidge!

jeffers
14-05-2021, 08:03 AM
The cup final team will be the same as Wednesday's except Ryan for Gaz, I think Ross will show loyalty to Ryan who's been his no.1 choice all season.

And Newell for Hallberg unless the former is injured.

Since90+2
14-05-2021, 08:04 AM
Nisbet is also the same height as Doidge!

Incorrect.

Brightside
14-05-2021, 08:06 AM
Incorrect.

They are. Ignore Wikipedia.

Since90+2
14-05-2021, 08:08 AM
They are. Ignore Wikipedia.

Doidge is a couple of inches taller than Nisbet. Not a massive difference admittedly but he is taller.

Hibbyradge
14-05-2021, 08:12 AM
Ryan is our first choice CB. Darren is cover for him. Ryan will play and rightly so.

scoopyboy
14-05-2021, 08:24 AM
A couple of weeks ago I would never have considered starting Darren before Porto, I must admit I am now thinking differently.

I thought Ryan struggled in the semi, he didn't appear comfortable with underfoot conditions to me.

I felt more comfortable when Darren came on.

On Wednesday I thought the McGregor man was the best player on the park.

St.Johnstone seemed to target Porto in the League Cup semi, firstly by thumping him in the first few minutes.

I think it is the managers hardest call for the final in terms of team selection.

I think Darren's interview has probably made it easier for him.

Coco Bryce
15-05-2021, 12:56 PM
After the last two games, 100% Daz for me.

The guy is an absolute rock.

Stevie Reid
15-05-2021, 12:59 PM
Posted this on the match day thread earlier:

If we play a back four next week, Daz has to play for me - though I appreciate that it’s unlikely to be clear cut in JR’s head.

Folk always say there’s no room for sentiment in football, and that would usually apply to an older head, who’s been a great servant, being ousted by a youngster.

In this case, it’s the other way around. Ryan is the future, but this game is bigger than his career development.

RP has had a good season, I just don’t 100% trust him at the moment. Rushes of blood to the head that can lead to mistakes or red cards have to be avoided at all costs next week.

Daz is just better suited to playing Saints as well.

Heisenberg
15-05-2021, 01:14 PM
I’d pick Daz but think Porteous will get the nod.

Onion
15-05-2021, 01:16 PM
After the last two games, 100% Daz for me.

The guy is an absolute rock.

CB and Goalkeeper choices could be most important decisions Jack Ross will have to make this season.

Onion
15-05-2021, 01:19 PM
Good point and run out for Hibs ahead of the big game. Rocky and Daz were simply outstanding today.

HibeeHibernian4
15-05-2021, 01:21 PM
Nothing against Porteous but it simply has to be McGregor.

Unseen work
15-05-2021, 01:24 PM
McGregor was brilliant today.

How good was Porteous too though? Went about his business very quietly.

It’s like playing with Daz took the pressure off of him.

flash
15-05-2021, 01:24 PM
Daz was man of the match today but Porto also strolled through the game even playing on the wrong side.
It's a nice problem to have.

15-05-2021, 01:25 PM
Said McGregor before the match and I'm even more certain now.

makaveli1875
15-05-2021, 01:29 PM
When hes fit Daz is the best defender we have , id start him and im sure Jack Ross must be considering it

Hibee87
15-05-2021, 01:30 PM
I think Daz has cemented his place the last few weeks, harsh on Porto to miss s final however. I just hope we're 3/4 0 up with 20 to go and can afford to get him on. It's not a position you want to change in a game on a knife edge.

Alfred E Newman
15-05-2021, 01:30 PM
Porto and McGregor next week?

calumhibee1
15-05-2021, 01:31 PM

Has to be McGregor and Hanlon

makaveli1875
15-05-2021, 01:32 PM

Hanlon was on the bench to keep him safe for the final , no chance he's getting dropped

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2021, 01:34 PM

Definitely not.

silverhibee
15-05-2021, 01:36 PM
Will be Hanlon & Porto.

Aldo
15-05-2021, 01:36 PM
Back 3 of McGinn, Daz and Hanlon??

Pilrig_Sauzee
15-05-2021, 01:37 PM
We play the best team to win the game. So Daz.

Sir David Gray
15-05-2021, 01:40 PM
It absolutely must be McGregor next week, he's solid.

Zambernardi1875
15-05-2021, 01:46 PM

I would

GGTTH07
15-05-2021, 02:01 PM
Why isn’t it out the question to play the both of them? Hanlons positions seems untouchable?

ElginHibbie
15-05-2021, 02:19 PM
Why isn’t it out the question to play the both of them? Hanlons positions seems untouchable?

Been captain all season, today is the first league match he's not appeared in I think.

Not a chance he isn't the one to lead the team out next week

Hibbyradge
15-05-2021, 02:21 PM

It is untouchable and rightly so. He's better than both Daz and Porto.

keep the faith
15-05-2021, 02:22 PM
McGregor should start. Personally I would go for him and Porto, but that will never happen.

3pm
15-05-2021, 02:42 PM
Ryan played very well today. Unfortunately, his mate played better...

hibeejeebies
15-05-2021, 02:44 PM
Daz patrolled that 18 yard box today like a lion prowling the great plains of the Serengeti.

jacomo
15-05-2021, 02:47 PM

Paul Hanlon has been turning in excellent performances for months.

His place in the cup final is assured.

gaz1875
15-05-2021, 02:48 PM
Daz patrolled that 18 yard box today like a lion prowling the great plains of the Serengeti.

That made me laugh out loud :top marks

147lothian
15-05-2021, 02:54 PM

If we go 2-0 up then that could be an option, but for starting the game I would play McGregor with Porteous on the bench

hibee-boys
15-05-2021, 02:55 PM
Don’t have a bxxxxxxxx clue🤷🏼

Andy74
15-05-2021, 03:02 PM
Now the league is out the way I’d play this team for the final:

Rocky

McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Hallberg
Gogic
Irvine
Doig

Doidge
Nisbet

pacoluna
15-05-2021, 03:13 PM

A beautiful mane too.

Vini1875
15-05-2021, 03:15 PM

Rocky

McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Hallberg
Gogic
Irvine
Doig

Doidge
Nisbet

Surely Macey plays ahead of Rocky in the cup and Newell ahead of Halberg?

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2021, 03:16 PM

Rocky

McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Hallberg
Gogic
Irvine
Doig

Doidge
Nisbet

That's my team too. 👍

Andy74
15-05-2021, 03:29 PM
Surely Macey plays ahead of Rocky in the cup and Newell ahead of Halberg?

That’s the team I’d play. Love Newell but it is coming together for Hallberg in recent form and taking into account the type of game it will be.

I’d play our best keeper in such a big game. That’s Rocky.

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2021, 03:34 PM
That’s the team I’d play. Love Newell but it is coming together for Hallberg in recent form and taking into account the type of game it will be.

I’d play our best keeper in such a big game. That’s Rocky.

Its a difficult one. I don't think we played our best keeper in 2016 but it worked out okay. I'd probably go with Rocky as well, but Macey will be fine.

The Baldmans Comb
15-05-2021, 03:39 PM
Its to late now but it seems crazy that Marciano will be on the bench but fair play to the manager for how well he has managed both goalkeepers.

Daz has come from nowhere to stake a place but there will be an intensity in this game and an increase in the pace of the game that is a bit worrying but that applies to decision making as well and Porto calls certain situations wrong.

Tough choice but just Daz.

A Hi-Bee
15-05-2021, 03:41 PM
I am sure that JR will pick the right team to bring the cup back ti Leith
GGTTH

Saint Hibee
15-05-2021, 03:49 PM
Saint Johnstone are to Ryan what Ryan is to The Rangers - they’ve got his number. I’ll feel much happier with North Fort Street’s finest mane manning the ramparts.

Aldo
15-05-2021, 03:49 PM

Rocky

McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Hallberg
Gogic
Irvine
Doig

Doidge
Nisbet

Andy barring the keeper that’s the outfield players I would start!

wookie70
15-05-2021, 04:13 PM
I think Daz cemented his place today. Ryan actually played really well and made good decisions but McGregor imposes himself on attackers in a way very few centre halves do these days. He is also course and distance for this cup and we need a few on the pitch that have won it.

Hallberg might just get in for his set pieces. He has thrown lots of good balls into the box and rarely hits a poor free kick. I think Newell is the better player but he has went off the boil at the same time Hallberg has started to impress. Absolutely brilliant that despite a small squad and a pretty settled team, having a successful season, we have quite a bit of competition for places.

Hibeewilly
15-05-2021, 04:22 PM

Rocky

McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Hallberg
Gogic
Irvine
Doig

Doidge
Nisbet
That would be my team as well....unlucky on Macey but Rocky did well today. McGregor should be the first name on the team sheet as he's in fantastic form....MOM today for me

Comiston Hibee
15-05-2021, 04:24 PM
Why not Porteous and McGregor, Hamlin on the bench?

Sammy7nil
15-05-2021, 04:29 PM

I think the Pied Piper is suspended :greengrin:greengrin:wink Maybe Hanlon could play.

sorrow sorrow
15-05-2021, 04:30 PM
Marciano,mcgregor and porteous where excellent today.
Would start the 3 of them next week if I was jack Ross.

Hibbyradge
15-05-2021, 04:33 PM

Because Hanlon and Porteous are both better players than McGregor.

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2021, 04:38 PM
Because Hanlon and Porteous are both better players than McGregor.

I'm sure Porto will be a better player in time, but Daz is in very good form at the moment, in fact probably in better form than both Porto and Hamlin.:wink:

It's a tough one for the manager, but on current form i feel Daz has won one of those spots, and Porto loses out for next week.

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2021, 04:40 PM

Hanlon is the best with the ball, and the left footer. In a game in which we'll likely have plenty of the ball, that is vital. Hes also been the best of the three this season.

scoopyboy
15-05-2021, 04:47 PM

Ask Jack Ross, because he is the one that will call it. It is either Daz or Porto if everyone available.

Hibbyradge
15-05-2021, 04:48 PM
I'm sure Porto will be a better player in time, but Daz is in very good form at the moment, in fact probably in better form than both Porto and Hamlin.:wink:

It's a tough one for the manager, but on current form i feel Daz has won one of those spots, and Porto loses out for next week.

Porto and Hanlon have been the defence that took us to third place. Daz has had a couple of good performances, one of which was almost a friendly.

I'll be surprised if he gets the nod, but I understand why folk feel that way. It's the counter side of what happens when a player has a sub-standard game when we get immediate calls to drop him etc.

scoopyboy
15-05-2021, 04:52 PM

Rocky

McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Hallberg
Gogic
Irvine
Doig

Doidge
Nisbet

Rocky or Macey, Daz or Porto and Newell or Hallberg are the three questions for me.

By the way I wouldn't rule out a 4 4 2

BlackSheep
15-05-2021, 04:55 PM
Daz all the way. Our team and tactics against St Johnstone need a shake up otherwise it could be same again from us.

Perhaps his presence in the defence will be the answer and allow us to play our attacking game.

S4uzee
15-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Rocky or Macey, Daz or Porto and Newell or Hallberg are the three questions for me.

By the way I wouldn't rule out a 4 4 2

Surely Ross has learnt from his mistake of 4-4-2

scoopyboy
15-05-2021, 05:13 PM
Surely Ross has learnt from his mistake of 4-4-2

How's that?

He played that formation against Dundee United and Aberdeen, thought it worked ok in those games.

WhileTheChief..
15-05-2021, 05:16 PM
I’m comfortable with either, defence has been fine all season.

Pretty sure JR will go with Porteous.

S4uzee
15-05-2021, 05:18 PM
How's that?

He played that formation against Dundee United and Aberdeen, thought it worked ok in those games.

I would’ve said that was more 3-5-2

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2021, 05:24 PM
Porto and Hanlon have been the defence that took us to third place. Daz has had a couple of good performances, one of which was almost a friendly.

I'll be surprised if he gets the nod, but I understand why folk feel that way. It's the counter side of what happens when a player has a sub-standard game when we get immediate calls to drop him etc.

I know Porto has been in the side most weeks, but i feel personally Daz is more suited for St Johnstone. To be perfectly honest, i'm not that bothered either way, but i do feel Daz is in better form than Porto and deserves to play on merit.

scoopyboy
15-05-2021, 05:27 PM
I would’ve said that was more 3-5-2

It was 4 4 2, in the semi Josh Doig got a roasting for pushing too far up and was asked in no uncertain terms do you think we are playing 3 5 2.

Sometimes I find it hard to determine what formation we are playing if I'm being honest.

Hibs know St.Johnstone are going with 3 at the back, St.Johnstone don't know how Hibs will play it.

S4uzee
15-05-2021, 05:33 PM
It was 4 4 2, in the semi Josh Doig got a roasting for pushing too far up and was asked in no uncertain terms do you think we are playing 3 5 2.

Sometimes I find it hard to determine what formation we are playing if I'm being honest.

Hibs know St.Johnstone are going with 3 at the back, St.Johnstone don't know how Hibs will play it.

Interesting to know that regarding Doig

I agree it can be difficult to work out sometimes due to McGinn’s positioning at both RCB and RB.

I personally prefer 3 in CM

Billy Whizz
15-05-2021, 05:33 PM

Whatever way we play Scoopyboy, we need to defend much better against them on Saturday. We’ve lost very preventable goals in the last few games against them

sorrow sorrow
15-05-2021, 05:34 PM
Jack Ross will go with what has worked for him all season,Hanlon and porteous.
have no problem with that and I bet mcgregor doesn’t either.

Personally I feel our front 3 of Doidge, Boyle and Nisbet will decide the game not what our central defence will be.

scoopyboy
15-05-2021, 05:36 PM
Whatever way we play Scoopyboy, we need to defend much better against them on Saturday. We’ve lost very preventable goals in the last few games against them

No argument from me there Billy, I believe we will.

northstandhibby
15-05-2021, 05:38 PM
I think Jack will pick Porto to start as if he plays a blinder or at least solidly and we go on to win the cup it will certainly enhance his worth to our club. Daz is probably the wafer thin safer option however Porto despite his youth has been a revelation since breaking through to the first team despite his occasional mistake. Its brilliant to have the choice of these two talented defenders.

Andy74
15-05-2021, 05:41 PM
Jack Ross will go with what has worked for him all season,Hanlon and porteous.
have no problem with that and I bet mcgregor doesn’t either.

Personally I feel our front 3 of Doidge, Boyle and Nisbet will decide the game not what our central defence will be.

It hasn’t worked well for Porteous against St Johnstone though.

Eyrie
15-05-2021, 06:03 PM

Rocky

McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Hallberg
Gogic
Irvine
Doig

Doidge
Nisbet

Macey in goal, but otherwise that's the team I'd go with.

McGregor is in excellent form and well suited to dealing with St Johnstone's approach. Similarly Hallberg moves the ball quicker than Newell who prefers to retain possession, and that's what we'll need against a well organised St Johnstone side.

Regardless of next week's result, Davidson has been robbed by Gerrard getting the managerial awards.

SingaporeHibs
15-05-2021, 07:17 PM
Daz, MOTM for last two games......he deserves the place

Hibby Kay-Yay
15-05-2021, 07:24 PM
Macey

Porto
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Newell
Gogic
Irvine
Doig

Nisbet
Doidge

JohnM1875
15-05-2021, 07:26 PM
Daz was class again today. Has to start for me.

I'm never worried when anything is played near him. Can't say the same for Porto lately,which I hate saying. Cause I think Porto has so much potential.

Tommy75
15-05-2021, 07:29 PM

Yeah we seem to have saved our worse defensive displays for St Johnstone.

Looking at the final leauge table, only Dundee Utd, Ross County and Hamilton have scored fewer goals than St Johnstone (joint with Aberdeen on 36). If we are as solid as we can be, and don't lose the psychological battle at set pieces, I think we'll be fine.

Onion
15-05-2021, 07:42 PM
Rocky or Macey, Daz or Porto. Great problem for Jack Ross. Most players fit, in decent form with competition for places.

We've suffered big Hampden games when down to the bare bones and it's not ended well. Seriously, can't recall a better chance for Hibs to win the Cup than this one.

KeithTheHibby
15-05-2021, 07:43 PM
Daz for me. Purely for his experience. I also think Hallberg will play ahead of Newell. Next week could be a bit of a battle in midfield and that’s why I think he will play Hallberg.

Lancs Harp
15-05-2021, 07:46 PM
Just addressing Daz or Porto question if it comes down to that, then Daz, steadier and more reliable I'd argue in better form and has the game we need to defend against St Johnstone. To be honest we should be strong enough to win with either.

Since90+2
15-05-2021, 07:46 PM
Daz for me. Purely for his experience. I also think Hallberg will play ahead of Newell. Next week could be a bit of a battle in midfield and that’s why I think he will play Hallberg.

If it's going to be a battle we'd be better sticking with h Newell over Hallberg.

Billy Whizz
15-05-2021, 07:47 PM
If it's going to be a battle we'd be better sticking with h Newell over Hallberg.

I’m the opposite

Lancs Harp
15-05-2021, 07:49 PM
I’m the opposite

Agree if a war in midfield surely Hallberg is better equiped to deal with that than Newell. My issue with Newell is that we are generally poor when Newell and Irvine are in the same team despite both being decent players. The balance just isnt right.

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2021, 07:51 PM
Macey

Porto
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Newell
Gogic
Irvine
Doig

Nisbet
Doidge

Playing 3 center backs totally takes away our flexibility and won't happen

Billy Whizz
15-05-2021, 07:59 PM
Agree if a war in midfield surely Hallberg is better equiped to deal with that than Newell. My issue with Newell is that we are generally poor when Newell and Irvine are in the same team despite both being decent players. The balance just isnt right.

I’m glad I’m not Jack Ross on Saturday. He just needs to pick a winning team, nothing else matters

hibbysam
15-05-2021, 08:01 PM
I’m glad I’m not Jack Ross on Saturday. He just needs to pick a winning team, nothing else matters

Exactly, I don’t actually think it matters who plays from the choices, Rocky or Macey, Daz or Porteous, Newell or Hallberg - I’ve got my preference but I don’t think we’ll be any worse off regardless. Porteous normally has his best games when he’s under the most pressure.

Hibbyradge
15-05-2021, 08:14 PM
I know Porto has been in the side most weeks, but i feel personally Daz is more suited for St Johnstone. To be perfectly honest, i'm not that bothered either way, but i do feel Daz is in better form than Porto and deserves to play on merit.

I'm not bothered too much either, but I'd prefer if Ryan started.

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2021, 08:21 PM
I'm not bothered too much either, but I'd prefer if Ryan started.

If we win i wouldnt care if you were centre half Dave. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
15-05-2021, 08:36 PM
If we win i wouldnt care if you were centre half Dave. :greengrin

We wouldn't. 😂

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2021, 08:46 PM
We wouldn't. 😂

Ah you found the flaw in my point. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
15-05-2021, 08:53 PM
Ah you found the flaw in my point. :greengrin

If I was playing it would go to penalties and you'd miss yours!

Franck Stanton
15-05-2021, 09:24 PM
Don't understand why it between Ryan or Daz for final .
Why not both ?
A back there of Ryan Daz Paul
Would be hard on McGinn I know.
McGinn has had a great season & one of our best players, but horses for course & all that.

O'Rourke3
15-05-2021, 09:31 PM
Why not both ?
Would be hard on McGinnis I know.
McGinnis has had a great season & one on our best players, but horses for course & all that.Presume you mean McGinn in which case you are asking Boyler to make the right back job his when we move to a four.
Its a choice between the two and it's currently, Daz. . Mc Ginn is a starter because of his ability to switch roles without weakening the team.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Aldo
16-05-2021, 07:16 AM
Why not both ?
Would be hard on McGinn I know.
McGinn has had a great season & one of our best players, but horses for course & all that.

I think the following are guaranteed starters on Sat

McGinn, Hanlon, Doig, Gogic, Irvine, Boyle, Nisbet and Doidge.

Macey or Rocky
Daz or Ryan
Newall or Hallberg

I think the only decision to be made is Daz or Ryan

Macey and Hallberg would start

Brightside
16-05-2021, 07:31 AM
Playing 3 center backs totally takes away our flexibility and won't happen

Yeh it’s been mentioned a few times now but we transition quickly to 442 or even a back 5. That’s comes from McGinn switching from RCB to RB, or Doig being told to play more as a LB than a wingback, or even in extreme cases Boyle sitting in. Playing 3 dedicated CBs would make us very defensive.

Brightside
16-05-2021, 07:32 AM
I think the following are guaranteed starters on Sat

McGinn, Hanlon, Doig, Gogic, Irvine, Boyle, Nisbet and Doidge.

Macey or Rocky
Daz or Ryan
Newall or Hallberg

I think the only decision to be made is Daz or Ryan

Macey and Hallberg would start

Macey will start. Newell will start. Porto will start. It’s perhaps not what I would go with but I do think it’s what Ross will go with.

JohnM1875
16-05-2021, 07:34 AM
Macey will start. Newell will start. Porto will start. It’s perhaps not what I would go with but I do think it’s what Ross will go with.

Totally agree, reckon both will start as well. I'd prefer Daz personally, but think he'll stick with the team that's played most minutes together.

Brightside
16-05-2021, 07:37 AM
Totally agree, reckon both will start as well. I'd prefer Daz personally, but think he'll stick with the team that's played most minutes together.

StJ games are always a bit industrial which is why I would go with Hallberg just to change it up a bit. But I can’t see Jack doing that.

LeithMike
16-05-2021, 07:50 AM

Rocky

McGinn
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Hallberg
Gogic
Irvine
Doig

Doidge
NisbetAgree entirely with that team. Think it is the strongest we can put out taking into account form and the opposition. Its not to say a team with Porteous, Macey and Newell cant win but the team you've named looks morr fit for purpose to me.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The Count
16-05-2021, 07:56 AM
Edging towards Daz but it is strange that we are all unsure when Porto is the £1million pound plus player.

GreenCastle
16-05-2021, 07:58 AM
McGregor is in fantastic form - has cup final experience and is a leader.

Surely has to start.

Also agree we need to combat Saints industrial strengths and but also stick to our style. A bit of me thinks Hallberg starts and then bring on Newell later on to keep the ball.

calumhibee1
16-05-2021, 08:10 AM
Edging towards Daz but it is strange that we are all unsure when Porto is the £1million pound plus player.

McGregor would be a £5m player if performances were the only barometer :agree:

To me, it’s really a case of if you’re good enough, you’re young enough. Daz is still an exceptionally good centre half, the best we’ve got and imo has to start.

B.H.F.C
16-05-2021, 08:20 AM
Unless anyone gets injured, I think this is the only real decision Ross has to make.

I think he will go with Porteous and the only change to the semi final team will be Gogic in for Hallberg.

Greenbeard
16-05-2021, 08:37 AM
Based on form and to combat Saints strengths I'd start Daz, with Porto potentially coming on for the last 15 if his old legs start to go or if Saints start targetting him on the deck. Porto's "gift-gaff" v Saints two weeks ago is also in my mind. Saints players are 100% going to be sledging Porto about it all game if he starts.
Hallberg has gone up in my estimations his last couple of games, but I'd still start Newell. Hallberg is the ideal first option midfielder off the bench.

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2021, 10:02 AM
If I was playing it would go to penalties and you'd miss yours!

I have had a full knee replacement. :wink:

Scouse Hibee
22-05-2021, 11:51 AM
Porteous starts

Hiber-nation
22-05-2021, 11:54 AM
Makes no sense to me but thankfully I'm not a football manager. Hope Ryan proves us all wrong.

Saint Hibee
22-05-2021, 11:55 AM
Come on Ryan - we need a demonstration of zen like calm today!