PDA

View Full Version : Should fans be allowed at the final ? A poll…….

Barney McGrew
09-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Currently there are no plans to allow fans to attend the Scottish Cup Final in a few weeks time.

Do you think the Scottish football authorities and Government should ensure that at least some supporters from each side to be there?

Eyrie
09-05-2021, 03:52 PM
Yes.

But the politicians have just had their election, so don't expect us to be listened to.

Pretty Boy
09-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Yes.

Even if it's a couple of thousand from each team through a ballot it would be worth it.

Aside from anything else it seems madness we are going into the Euros without a Scottish specific test event.

Diclonius
I'm sure a petition will be set up soon that we can all rally around.

hibbysam
Yes.

But the politicians have just had their election, so don't expect us to be listened to.

It’s nothing to do with politicians, unless Rod Petrie, Mike Mulraney and Ian Maxwell have been elected MSP’s this week.

I’m not sure how to vote on mobile but I’m a yes also.

marinello59
09-05-2021, 03:57 PM
Yes.
We should have been able to attend the final few league games as well.

Sir David Gray
09-05-2021, 03:58 PM
It’s nothing to do with politicians, unless Rod Petrie, Mike Mulraney and Ian Maxwell have been elected MSP’s this week.

You need to switch to desktop view.

Sir David Gray
09-05-2021, 03:59 PM
Yes.
We should have been able to attend the final few league games as well.

Sadly that won't happen due to the government framework.

Bishop Hibee
09-05-2021, 04:07 PM
Absolutely disgraceful from the SFA. They should have done all in their power to put on a show but they couldn’t give a rats ass as Rantic aren’t involved.

Vault Boy
09-05-2021, 04:41 PM
Without a shadow of a doubt. 12k for the Euros a few weeks later with absolutely nothing for the biggest domestic tournament in Scotland? Seems very unjust to me.

hibbysam
09-05-2021, 04:42 PM
Without a shadow of a doubt. 12k for the Euros a few weeks later with absolutely nothing for the biggest domestic tournament in Scotland? Seems very unjust to me.

And straight into the Euros with no build up, no test events, no trial runs. Seems incredibly naive.

Billy Whizz
09-05-2021, 04:43 PM
Let’s get voting on this everyone

Vault Boy
09-05-2021, 04:48 PM
And straight into the Euros with no build up, no test events, no trial runs. Seems incredibly naive.

Yep, a Scottish Cup final with some fans could serve as a decent barometer for the SFA.

Roxyhibee
09-05-2021, 04:51 PM
Yes. Ludicrous not to.

AliboyFC
09-05-2021, 04:51 PM
A lot of people have had the vaccine so I don't see why not.

ian cruise
09-05-2021, 04:55 PM
You need to switch to desktop view.

I never thought of that until you shared. Thanks. I predominantly look at the site on my mobile in lite view and not being able to vote in polls has always been a mild irritant.

AliboyFC
09-05-2021, 04:57 PM
I never thought of that until you shared. Thanks. I predominantly look at the site on my mobile in lite view and not being able to vote in polls has always been a mild irritant.

I dont use mobile view on mobile. It is shocking.

Billy Whizz
09-05-2021, 04:59 PM
I dont use mobile view on mobile. It is shocking.

Just do it to vote please, then switch back

AliboyFC
09-05-2021, 05:00 PM
Just do it to vote please, then switch back

Why?

Hibbyradge
09-05-2021, 05:13 PM
What's the chances of No getting more than 5% of the vote?

About a 5% chance, probably.

09-05-2021, 05:27 PM

How is it nothing to do with politicians? Do you think it is Rod Petrie, Mike Mulraney and Ian Maxwell that get to make the decision without needing the government to approve it?

09-05-2021, 05:32 PM
How is it nothing to do with politicians? Do you think it is Rod Petrie, Mike Mulraney and Ian Maxwell that get to make the decision without needing the government to approve it?

The government won’t bother unless the football authorities request it. The football authorities won’t request it because of the Euros at hampden and they can’t be arsed sorting out another stadium. The end. There’s no chance of fans getting in.

ABZHFC
09-05-2021, 05:37 PM
2 deaths in the whole of the UK today, course we should, and if you'd told anyone that we couldn't back in January 2020 they'd have laughed at you

CMurdoch
09-05-2021, 05:40 PM
Hampden has been handed over to UEFA, the Glasgow clubs won't rent their stadiums to the SFA and it is too late to rent Murrayfield, organise Police, Ambulances, stewards etc etc etc. It's not happening at this late stage no matter how many folk sign a petition.

09-05-2021, 05:43 PM
The government won’t bother unless the football authorities request it. The football authorities won’t request it because of the Euros at hampden and they can’t be arsed sorting out another stadium. The end. There’s no chance of fans getting in.

I understand that and agree that it probably won't happen. I was asking hibbysam why he thought it has nothing to do with politicians.

Based on what Jason Leitch said on Off The Ball yesterday, there could be a crowd of 500 (I think was the number he said) and the SFA wouldn't even need to get govt approval. Any more than that would need a case to be put forward to the govt for approval outlining what safety measures around social distancing etc would be put in place. If anything is going to be done then we should be aiming for a lot more than 500 people and if it can't be agreed with the govt for any reason then 500 should be the fall back option.

As has been said though, it probably won't happen especially when it is less than 2 weeks away.

Crunchie
09-05-2021, 05:43 PM
Hampden has been handed over to UEFA, the Glasgow clubs won't rent their stadiums to the SFA and it is too late to rent Murrayfield, organise Police, Ambulances, stewards etc etc etc. It's not happening at this late stage no matter how many folk sign a petition.
Sadly you're quite right, but it's a big yes from me.

Billy Whizz
09-05-2021, 05:59 PM

Move it to next season then…..

basehibby
09-05-2021, 06:20 PM
I think it's always been massively debateable that the act of watching an open air sporting event has a significant role in spreading any virus. Surrounding social activities may be another matter but there would seem to be little chance of picking anything up in an outdoor setting with distancing measures in place.

ScottB
09-05-2021, 06:37 PM
To be clear, this is because of the SFA / UEFA. It’s got zip to do with the politicians or the CMO.

Given there’s going to be fans at the play off games, and fans at the Euros matches, there’s obviously no political or medical objection to fans at the final. It would be for the SFA to move it to another venue or UEFA to agree it’s ok despite having ‘taken possession’ of the stadium.

ScottB
09-05-2021, 06:38 PM
I think it's always been massively debateable that the act of watching an open air sporting event has a significant role in spreading any virus. Surrounding social activities may be another matter but there would seem to be little chance of picking anything up in an outdoor setting with distancing measures in place.

I don’t think it’s ever been about being in the stands, it has however been about funnelling people through often cramped / tight indoor spaces to get to and from those stands.

09-05-2021, 06:39 PM
To be clear, this is because of the SFA / UEFA. It’s got zip to do with the politicians or the CMO.

Given there’s going to be fans at the play off games, and fans at the Euros matches, there’s obviously no political or medical objection to fans at the final. It would be for the SFA to move it to another venue or UEFA to agree it’s ok despite having ‘taken possession’ of the stadium.

Are you saying we can have 50k plus back in a stadium and the govt can't do anything about it?

danhibees1875
09-05-2021, 06:40 PM

If they want 500 fans or fewer they can crack on without the government approving anything I think (assuming we are in level 2 as planned).

Any more than that and we'd need the government involved - I can't see that being achieved at such short notice.

hibbysam
09-05-2021, 06:42 PM
I understand that and agree that it probably won't happen. I was asking hibbysam why he thought it has nothing to do with politicians.

Based on what Jason Leitch said on Off The Ball yesterday, there could be a crowd of 500 (I think was the number he said) and the SFA wouldn't even need to get govt approval. Any more than that would need a case to be put forward to the govt for approval outlining what safety measures around social distancing etc would be put in place. If anything is going to be done then we should be aiming for a lot more than 500 people and if it can't be agreed with the govt for any reason then 500 should be the fall back option.

As has been said though, it probably won't happen especially when it is less than 2 weeks away.

Because the SFA have said no as it stands. The government don’t get involved unless it’s over 5000. What do we want the government to do if the SFA aren’t interested?

09-05-2021, 06:43 PM
If they want 500 fans or fewer they can crack on without the government approving anything I think (assuming we are in level 2 as planned).

Any more than that and we'd need the government involved - I can't see that being achieved at such short notice.

Thanks, yeah I posted much the same about 15 mins later. So really it is to do with politicians unless we're just going to set the bar low at 500. As said, there's probably not enough time to sort something now anyway.

Allez Hibs
09-05-2021, 06:43 PM
https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11945/12302114/champions-league-uefa-and-uk-government-to-hold-talks-over-moving-venue-for-final-to-london

Interesting development regarding the Champions League Final potentially being played in England. UEFA to discuss it with UK Government tomorrow looking for certain assurances.

Billy Whizz
09-05-2021, 06:44 PM
https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11945/12302114/champions-league-uefa-and-uk-government-to-hold-talks-over-moving-venue-for-final-to-london

Interesting development regarding the Champions League Final potentially being played in England. UEFA to discuss it with UK Government tomorrow looking for certain assurances.

And Michael Gove says play it at Hampden

Allez Hibs
09-05-2021, 06:45 PM
And Michael Gove says play it at Hampden

And the SFA would likely say OK, overlooking proper supporters of Hibs and St Johnstone.

Billy Whizz
09-05-2021, 06:48 PM
And the SFA would likely say OK, overlooking proper supporters of Hibs and St Johnstone.

It is an UEFA tournament though, but I agree with your point

Kaff
09-05-2021, 07:41 PM
Move it to next season then…..

Big Euro place decided by playing the cup final, don't think Saints will accept it going to the 3rd placed team and neither will we if Wednesday doesn't go to plan

lord bunberry
09-05-2021, 07:53 PM
I can’t understand why there’s people voting no.

marinello59
09-05-2021, 08:04 PM
I can’t understand why there’s people voting no.

Maybe they don’t think it will safe. Some will still be nervous coming out of COVID.

hibbysam
09-05-2021, 08:10 PM
Maybe they don’t think it will safe. Some will still be nervous coming out of COVID.

The government have advised it will be safe as per their guidelines though.

marinello59
09-05-2021, 08:16 PM
The government have advised it will be safe as per their guidelines though.

Some will still be nervous despite Government guidelines. I get that. We’ve been restricted for a long time now.

lyonhibs
09-05-2021, 08:17 PM
Where's the "Yes but it's not going to happen" option?

lord bunberry
09-05-2021, 08:20 PM
But it will be safer than sitting in a pub watching it.

Hibernia&Alba
09-05-2021, 08:20 PM
Heart says yes, head says no. We've come this far with lockdown, we need to see it through now. Is it worth the risk at this point?

lord bunberry
09-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Some will still be nervous despite Government guidelines. I get that. We’ve been restricted for a long time now.
The question isn’t if you’d go, it’s should it be allowed.

WeeRussell
09-05-2021, 08:24 PM

And some people don’t think we should be sitting in pubs by then either. Marinello is right, while the majority of us think we could relatively easily have some fans in attendance, it’s fairly easy to appreciate why some people are of an ultra cautious nature now in what is hopefully the final furlong of a long year+.

marinello59
09-05-2021, 08:30 PM

I agree.

GreenCastle
09-05-2021, 08:30 PM

Safer than going to the supermarket, going to a cafe / restaurant..I could go on.

It’s outdoors spread out in a large stadium.

St James Park would be a good choice but can’t see anyone paying for that.

Aberdeen not having a half decent stadium doesn’t help.

Tynecastle doesn’t even have a full size pitch and could you imagine if Budge said yes and we win the cup their !!

gbhibby
09-05-2021, 08:37 PM
I agree there needs to be a test event before the euros. Clubs have a database of fans so could pick from the season ticket holders. Before buying ticket a questionnaire could be completed. Fans will be asked to take with them proof of vaccination form and ID. This will exclude people who have not be vaccinated, but at least it will allow people to attend(i am being selfish being 60 years old but will allow fans who work in NHS to attend)
There is still time to organise this as without a test event it could be a nightmare at the euros.

Lago
09-05-2021, 08:44 PM
Won't make a blind bit of difference what the fans thick, Scottish Gov won't be for turning, football means nothing to them.

hibbysam
09-05-2021, 08:47 PM
And some people don’t think we should be sitting in pubs by then either. Marinello is right, while the majority of us think we could relatively easily have some fans in attendance, it’s fairly easy to appreciate why some people are of an ultra cautious nature now in what is hopefully the final furlong of a long year+.

Which is fine, they don’t have to put their name forward to go, just like they don’t need to go to the pub/restaurant/shops etc. The guidelines allow fans to attend, fans should be permitted.

marinello59
09-05-2021, 08:56 PM
Safer than going to the supermarket, going to a cafe / restaurant..I could go on.

It’s outdoors spread out in a large stadium.

St James Park would be a good choice but can’t see anyone paying for that.

Aberdeen not having a half decent stadium doesn’t help.

Tynecastle doesn’t even have a full size pitch and could you imagine if Budge said yes and we win the cup their !!

I agree with all of that. :greengrin
Some won’t though and even if the official guidelines say it’s safe they will still think it isn’t and won’t want to see any mass attendance events go ahead. . I find that understandable, we’ve been told for well over a year now that contact with other people is dangerous. Some will find that very hard to shake off.

Oscar T Grouch
09-05-2021, 08:56 PM
It is mental they are allowing the play off to have fans in attendance but not at the Scottish Cup final. I bet you if this was an ugly sisters final they would find a way to get a few thousand in. Or am I just an old cynic?

Sir David Gray
09-05-2021, 09:37 PM
If the reason for not allowing fans to go to Hampden for the Scottish Cup final is due to it being under UEFA's control for the Euros by then, how come there's talk of fans going to Wembley for the play off finals the week after the Scottish Cup final?

If UEFA are taking control of Hampden before 22nd May then why haven't they taken control of Wembley by 29th May (Wembley hosts its first match at the Euros the day before Hampden does)?

If UEFA do take control of Wembley by 29th May then why are they allowing fans to attend Wembley but not Hampden?

ABZHFC
09-05-2021, 09:46 PM
The Times are now reporting Wembley will host the European Cup final between Man City and Chelsea - presumably with a crowd - a whole week later than our final date. Our football association are just so useless at standing up to UEFA

B.H.F.C
09-05-2021, 09:47 PM
If the reason for not allowing fans to go to Hampden for the Scottish Cup final is due to it being under UEFA's control for the Euros by then, how come there's talk of fans going to Wembley for the play off finals the week after the Scottish Cup final?

If UEFA are taking control of Hampden before 22nd May then why haven't they taken control of Wembley by 29th May (Wembley hosts its first match at the Euros the day before Hampden does)?

If UEFA do take control of Wembley by 29th May then why are they allowing fans to attend Wembley but not Hampden?

Think there is some kind of work to be done at Hampden but not sure what.

Hibernia&Alba
09-05-2021, 09:48 PM
The Times are now reporting Wembley will host the European Cup final between Man City and Chelsea - presumably with a crowd - a whole week later than our final date. Our football association are just so useless at standing up to UEFA

I would imagine there will be some fans allowed in, but no chance of a full house.

ABZHFC
09-05-2021, 09:50 PM
I would imagine there will be some fans allowed in, but no chance of a full house.

Aye, I'd imagine it will be around 50% full at best, probably 25%. Even that would be enough to fit every Hibs and St Johnstone season ticket holder into Hampden, mind

Hibernia&Alba
09-05-2021, 09:53 PM
Aye, I'd imagine it will be around 50% full at best, probably 25%. Even that would be enough to fit every Hibs and St Johnstone season ticket holder into Hampden, mind

Yes, I would love to be there (getting my first Covid jag this week) but I understand the decision to hold off.

Lancs Harp
09-05-2021, 09:53 PM

We're dreaming here obviously but even with a 20% capacity crowd how good a weekend would playing, i mean winning, the Scottish Cup be at Wembley!!

Kaff
10-05-2021, 09:00 AM
Scottish Cup final in England? No thanks.

Jim Spence tweeting that talks MAY be underway.
No information just saying that.
If we could get every season ticket holder in it would be great

Sir David Gray
10-05-2021, 09:05 AM
Scottish Cup final in England? No thanks.

Jim Spence tweeting that talks MAY be underway.
No information just saying that.
If we could get every season ticket holder in it would be great

https://twitter.com/JimSpenceDundee/status/1391678333662998531?s=19

:hyper

Diclonius
10-05-2021, 09:25 AM
If UEFA are considering moving the CL final to England to get fans in, surely we can too.

Vault Boy
10-05-2021, 09:28 AM
If UEFA are considering moving the CL final to England to get fans in, surely we can too.

Throwing out a totally random location here, but I've heard Carrow Road is lovely this time of year.

marinello59
10-05-2021, 09:29 AM
Throwing out a totally random location here, but I've heard Carrow Road is lovely this time of year.

Aha!

Hibbyradge
10-05-2021, 09:31 AM

York City's new ground beats it.

AliboyFC
10-05-2021, 09:34 AM

St James park

hibbysam
10-05-2021, 09:45 AM
https://twitter.com/JimSpenceDundee/status/1391678333662998531?s=19

:hyper

Not sure if that’s in response to the fans or St Johnstone entering the ESL.

Kaff
10-05-2021, 10:07 AM

Having read it again, I fear you are probably correct

Allez Hibs
10-05-2021, 10:18 AM
Who is voting no to this by the way?

Sir David Gray
10-05-2021, 10:19 AM

Possibly actually. :rolleyes:

Moulin Yarns
10-05-2021, 10:21 AM

Eh, Pitlochry Recreation Ground???? :rolleyes:

Vale of Atholl in case you didn't know.

Or Duff Avenue, (former ground of Moulin City :greengrin)

JeMeSouviens
10-05-2021, 10:48 AM
Even if all they had to play on a junior ground and all they could get in were the 500 they don't need approval for, that's what should happen.

AugustaHibs
10-05-2021, 10:54 AM
You’ve got Westminster and the FA doing everything they can to move the biggest club competition on the planets final to accommodate fans and scotgov and SFA/SPFL don’t bother their ***** for our game.

No wonder scottish football is so tinpot at times.

Diclonius
10-05-2021, 11:03 AM
You’ve got Westminster and the FA doing everything they can to move the biggest club competition on the planets final to accommodate fans and scotgov and SFA/SPFL don’t bother their ***** for our game.

I'm reluctant to engage with the "Scottish football is *****" brigade, but this is one occasion when it is unequivocally true.

JeMeSouviens
10-05-2021, 11:06 AM

I don't see how you can blame the govt (about this specific game) unless/until a request is made to them?

AugustaHibs
10-05-2021, 11:07 AM
I don't see how you can blame the govt (about this specific game) unless/until a request is made to them?

Down south the gov are actively pushing for the CL final to be held in England so that fans can attend.

The gov up here don’t seem to be that bothered?

Moulin Yarns
10-05-2021, 11:09 AM
Down south the gov are actively pushing for the CL final to be held in England so that fans can attend.

The government isn't actually in session yet?

JeMeSouviens
10-05-2021, 11:10 AM

I certainly don't think NS views football as a priority. They have made an effort when the SFA came to them asking for help with the UEFA situation for the Euros though?

Northernhibee
10-05-2021, 11:16 AM
We may have stood a much better chance of Celtic didn’t head over to Dubai and have a piss up or if Rangers fans could behave themselves.

oneone73
10-05-2021, 11:16 AM
I certainly don't think NS views football as a priority.

She might if her hubby gets in her ear.

hibbysam
10-05-2021, 11:18 AM
We may have stood a much better chance of Celtic didn’t head over to Dubai and have a piss up or if Rangers fans could behave themselves.

Why is that stopping the SFA from getting fans into a football stadium? Considering the Euros are just a couple of weeks later I’d suggest the SG would look extremely favourably at a decent sized crowd being used as guinea pigs prior to the games at hampden. The SFA just can’t be arsed spending time/money to sort it.

Moulin Yarns
10-05-2021, 11:19 AM
I have it on good authority that the sfa will allow the game to be moved. The government has agreed that the cup final is so important that, within the covid guidelines they will allow the game to be played at Borough Briggs. At the same time the government has announced that Moray will remain in level 3 until 24th May.

OK I'm jesting. 😁

blackpoolhibs
10-05-2021, 01:23 PM
What a real shame we wont have anyone there this season, as with it Being St Johnstone, we'd probably get a lot more tickets than we'd normally receive with them only probably wanting 15k or so. :boo hoo:

greenpaper55
10-05-2021, 01:40 PM
It's Sturgeons fault, If she said yes it would happen tomorrow.

Blaster
10-05-2021, 01:46 PM

Where would you play it? Hampden, murrayfield, ibrox, Celtic park and tynecastle are all unavailable

Stairway 2 7
10-05-2021, 01:52 PM
Where would you play it? Hampden, murrayfield, ibrox, Celtic park and tynecastle are all unavailable

If the old firm were in it hampden would be getting used. Champions league final at Wembley the week after our final is rubbing salt into the wound

Hibs Class
10-05-2021, 01:53 PM

Easter Road? I'd quite happily sit in the away end to even things up!

Paul1642
10-05-2021, 01:55 PM
Agree. Govt need to step up here and let some fans in. Would be a mix needed boost to every club in Scotland by means of increased season ticket sales due to fan confidence of getting back in the ground IMO.

Daniel 1875
10-05-2021, 02:05 PM
Agree. Govt need to step up here and let some fans in. Would be a mix needed boost to every club in Scotland by means of increased season ticket sales due to fan confidence of getting back in the ground IMO.

It’s up to the SFA to pull together a proposal to put to the government. Sounds like they’ve got as far as finding out Ibrox, Celtic Park, Tynecastle and Murrayfield are unavailable and then stopped trying.

It’ll cost the SFA too much to host it elsewhere with only 2,000 - 4,000 fans paying for a ticket and that’s where it falls down. SFA need to be prepared to explore all avenues to get fans at the game and if it costs them to do so then so be it.

They’re keen enough to use Scottish football fans to sell the game as a result of our unique loyalty/passion so time to repay that by actually doing something when those same fans need them to.

WeeRussell
10-05-2021, 02:08 PM

Can you imagine the stick the FM would get if she started trying to do the SFA's job for them and focussed on getting a few fans to a game in a couple of weeks with everything going on just now?

JOD
10-05-2021, 02:19 PM
Dundee dens park/Tannadice for me.
No problem.

Stairway 2 7
10-05-2021, 02:20 PM
Hampden with fans, the handing over to the euros is just pish and Wembley having fans a week after shows this

nonshinyfinish
10-05-2021, 02:26 PM
No problem.

This is genius: push the two of them together, double the capacity and get twice as many fans in.

danhibees1875
10-05-2021, 02:42 PM
No problem.

For the sake of 500 fans?

I'd rather just go with an empty Hampden.

Allez Hibs
10-05-2021, 02:51 PM
Murrayfield.

Since90+2
10-05-2021, 02:51 PM
Murrayfield.

Don't think it's available. Pretty sure they have Rainbow Cup matches scheduled already for Edinburgh Rugby.

Moulin Yarns
10-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Don't think it's available. Pretty sure they have Rainbow Cup matches scheduled already for Edinburgh Rugby.

Only one I can see is on the 15th.

JeMeSouviens
10-05-2021, 02:59 PM
For the sake of 500 fans?

I'd rather just go with an empty Hampden.

Pretty sure if the SFA got their finger out they could push for a few thousand?

Since90+2
10-05-2021, 03:07 PM
Only one I can see is on the 15th.

I think, although could be wrong on this, that the 22nd is earmarked for a potential fixture should Edinburgh quality.

danhibees1875
10-05-2021, 03:07 PM
Pretty sure if the SFA got their finger out they could push for a few thousand?

Would start to make it more worthwhile anyway. But they'd need get going quickly to come up with a plan and to have a consensus on that with SG and the council (whichever one the game ends up in).

There'd still be a part of me that'd prefer it was just in Hampden though, even an empty one. Unless they managed to find a way to accommodate c.20k (10k each) somewhere - Ibrox, CP, Murrayfield, even St James park.

hibbysam
10-05-2021, 03:14 PM
I think, although could be wrong on this, that the 22nd is earmarked for a potential fixture should Edinburgh quality.

They have a game on 15th and then the next round isn’t until 29th. Not sure how the fixtures are released for this though.

Jamesie
10-05-2021, 03:25 PM
They have a game on 15th and then the next round isn’t until 29th. Not sure how the fixtures are released for this though.

Even if Edinburgh had a game on the 22nd, there’s a newly completed gazebo sitting right next to Murrayfield that has been built for their use. Whilst they’ve committed to not playing there until fans are back, I’m sure if the opportunity was there for the SRU to gain goodwill and £££ then pragmatism could take precedence. A week is more than enough time to reconfigure the stadium for football instead of rugby: this is regularly done in the Stadio Olimpico in Rome in circa 15 hours in some instances.

I’d say Hibs and St Johnstone combined won’t have north of 15k of season ticket holders. Quite easy to socially distance 15k in a 67k capacity stadium I would imagine.

If there was real political and club impetus to get fans into this match, and for it to be held in a venue where that would be possible, I think it could possibly happen. The fact there is no obvious sign of that at the moment is extremely disappointing. In a season like no other and when the fans have stepped up to back the club during a time of great fiscal uncertainty, I would have hoped we might see the club exerting pressure to get supporters through the doors.

Pretty Boy
10-05-2021, 03:28 PM
You can practically write the script on this.

There will be a few targeted leaks to friendly journos in the next few days about 'ongoing discussions' and 'meetings with invested parties'. They will drag that out just long enough to make it seem plausible then release a statement referencing 'all possible avenues' being explored, 'insurmountable obstacles' and 'problematic timescales'.

Fans of Hibs and St Johnstone will be annoyed but because football is so tribal most fans of other clubs won't care and it will be quickly forgotten about. Why there wasn't a plan A, B and C to put to the government weeks ago should be the question everyone is asking. I don't even think it's anything to do with the OF being non participants in the latter stages, the plans should already have been in place. It's dereliction of duty.

Vault Boy
10-05-2021, 03:30 PM
CL Final moving to England talks have broken down apparently.

Moulin Yarns
10-05-2021, 03:34 PM

right, I saw lots TBC in the fixtures. But surely they would play at the new mini murrayfield, and if the Cup final was agreed that would take preference for time as it is already in the schedule as opposed to a possible game that isn't even assured.

Hibs Class
10-05-2021, 03:41 PM

:agree: looks like it, but the reasons for the apparent breakdown don't have any relevance to the question of moving the SC final.

Billy Whizz
10-05-2021, 03:42 PM

Surely they aren’t going to make the teams travel to Turkey?

Hibs Class
10-05-2021, 03:44 PM

Potentially moving it to Portugal

Billy Whizz
10-05-2021, 04:00 PM
Potentially moving it to Portugal

For the sake of the costs to the fans, should be in the U.K.
Looks like UEFA wanting top dollar

JeMeSouviens
10-05-2021, 04:02 PM

Should suit us. David Wotherspoon will be homesick for one, and Liam Craig will need to wear so much sunblock he'll be practically immobilised! :greengrin

marinello59
10-05-2021, 04:02 PM
You can practically write the script on this.

There will be a few targeted leaks to friendly journos in the next few days about 'ongoing discussions' and 'meetings with invested parties'. They will drag that out just long enough to make it seem plausible then release a statement referencing 'all possible avenues' being explored, 'insurmountable obstacles' and 'problematic timescales'.

Fans of Hibs and St Johnstone will be annoyed but because football is so tribal most fans of other clubs won't care and it will be quickly forgotten about. Why there wasn't a plan A, B and C to put to the government weeks ago should be the question everyone is asking. I don't even think it's anything to do with the OF being non participants in the latter stages, the plans should already have been in place. It's dereliction of duty.

That pretty much sums it up. Motions will be gone through over the next few days but nothing will change.

Danderhall Hibs
10-05-2021, 04:08 PM
That pretty much sums it up. Motions will be gone through over the next few days but nothing will change.

:agree: fully expecting a “we tried but there’s just not the time to do this”

Despite the fact that Tom English has been asking for a few weeks now on Monday night sportsound.

Moulin Yarns
10-05-2021, 04:10 PM
:agree: fully expecting a “we tried but there’s just not the time to do this”

Despite the fact that Tom English has been asking for a few weeks now on Monday night sportsound.

John Beattie on Radiio Scotland saying there are ongoing talks about the Chamions League final, AND the Scottish Cup Final.

stuart-farquhar
10-05-2021, 04:12 PM
Think there is some kind of work to be done at Hampden but not sure what.

Build a decent stadium I'd imagine.

Blaster
10-05-2021, 05:07 PM
Aberdeen has offered to host this season's Scottish Cup final at Pittodrie so Hibernian and St Johnstone fans can attend the match.

The Scottish FA confirmed last month that no supporters will be inside the national stadium for the tie on 22 May.

From next Monday 500 spectators can attend outdoor events in Scotland with organisers able to ask for more.

And 12,000 fans will be in Hampden on 14 June for Scotland's Euro 2020 opener against the Czech Republic.

"Aberdeen FC would be happy to consider Pittodrie being the Scottish Cup final venue if it helped fans get into the stadium and it was something that both teams and the Scottish FA wanted us to do," Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack told BBC Scotland's The Nine.

Jones28
10-05-2021, 05:28 PM
Aberdeen has offered to host this season's Scottish Cup final at Pittodrie so Hibernian and St Johnstone fans can attend the match.

The Scottish FA confirmed last month that no supporters will be inside the national stadium for the tie on 22 May.

From next Monday 500 spectators can attend outdoor events in Scotland with organisers able to ask for more.

And 12,000 fans will be in Hampden on 14 June for Scotland's Euro 2020 opener against the Czech Republic.

"Aberdeen FC would be happy to consider Pittodrie being the Scottish Cup final venue if it helped fans get into the stadium and it was something that both teams and the Scottish FA wanted us to do," Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack told BBC Scotland's The Nine.

He has to have his ****ing shneb in everything eh?

If it’s going to have fans it’s going to be Murrayfield, Ibrox or Celtic park.

B.H.F.C
10-05-2021, 05:31 PM

Personally can’t see a problem here. It would be nice if the two clubs involved decided to put a bit pressure on publicly.

Kaff
10-05-2021, 05:36 PM

Fair play to him, he's got an option on the table the SFA have to say no to, it might only be 4k max but it's a start.
So far all we've got is the SFA saying they've tried Old Firm and Hearts but have been turned down, a club have offered a bigger stadium than Tynecastle and have hosted test events.
It's pressure on the SFA that we needed, they might now pull their finger out yo get an attendance that will not lose them money?

Diclonius
10-05-2021, 05:37 PM

Ugh.

Also, yes I'd still go.

GreenCastle
10-05-2021, 08:23 PM

I would watch Hibs play the Scottish Cup Final in Leith Links!

The most frustrating part is Aberdeen don’t have an updated stadium as they have basically neglected it and spend money on players last few years.

Even a few thousand fans at somewhere like Aberdeen is better than none at Hampden surely.

Sir David Gray
10-05-2021, 08:30 PM

I'd be more than happy to drive up to Pittodrie if it meant attending the cup final.

Alfred E Newman
10-05-2021, 08:31 PM
Don’t see the point . Just play the final where it’s scheduled to be . After going through all the rounds with no fans , playing the final at Pittodrie in front of a handful of fans will devalue the whole thing.

WeeRussell
10-05-2021, 09:02 PM
Don’t see the point . Just play the final where it’s scheduled to be . After going through all the rounds with no fans , playing the final at Pittodrie in front of a handful of fans will devalue the whole thing.

Not sure about it devaluing the whole thing but I am happy enough we just play it at Hampden as planned.

Especially given the bigger pitch may be to our benefit.

Andy74
10-05-2021, 09:05 PM
Not sure about it devaluing the whole thing but I am happy enough we just play it at Hampden as planned.

Never thought it’d be something I’d say but in the circumstances where only a small crowd would be allowed I doubt I would try and go.

Would be nowhere near the same as going with your usual group. I think watching it with the usual group somewhere would be a far better experience for a cup final.

Moulin Yarns
10-05-2021, 09:27 PM

I wonder if people realise that the pitch at mcdiarmid Park is the same size as Hampden?

Onion
10-05-2021, 09:27 PM

I agree, It has to be a meaningful number of fans or none at all. 3000 fans in Aberdeen or 0 at Hampden - give me Hampden every day. This is the SC Final. It deserves to be played at a top stadium - Celtic, Sevco, Murrayfield or Hampden. That's it.

SFA need to put on their big boy trousers and convince UEFA that fans should be allowed to attend the Final.

WeeRussell
10-05-2021, 09:38 PM
Never thought it’d be something I’d say but in the circumstances where only a small crowd would be allowed I doubt I would try and go.

Would be nowhere near the same as going with your usual group. I think watching it with the usual group somewhere would be a far better experience for a cup final.

I agree - I won’t be making any effort to attend should here be minimal crowds allowed. I’d prefer to watch with a group of my mates and have a garden party (hopefully).

That’s not to say there won’t be plenty of others that would drive the length of the country to attend under any circumstances, as I know there will be.

WeeRussell
10-05-2021, 09:41 PM
I wonder if people realise that the pitch at mcdiarmid Park is the same size as Hampden?

I know I didn’t! And that surprises me. What about Pittodrie?

People always talk about the “big pitch” at Hampden and it definitely does seem to be bigger with width when we play semis and finals, though I have wondered if it’s in part, at least, due to the stadium being bigger, track etc making the pitch seem that way.

May not be a huge thing but if we’re going to have most of the ball, and they’re sitting in a bit.. it could be more beneficial for us, particularly if the likes of Boyle is on a going day.

BoomtownHibees
10-05-2021, 09:42 PM
I know I didn’t! And that surprises me. What about Pittodrie?

People always talk about the “big pitch” at Hampden and it definitely does seem to be bigger with width when we play semis and finals, though I have wondered if it’s in part, at least, due to the stadium being bigger, track etc making the pitch seem that way.

May not be a huge thing but if we’re going to have most of the ball, and they’re sitting in a bit.. it could be more beneficial for us, particularly if the likes of Boyle is on a going day.

Same size as ER too. Think Pittodrie is quite a bit smaller

Jones28
11-05-2021, 01:18 PM
Personally can’t see a problem here. It would be nice if the two clubs involved decided to put a bit pressure on publicly.

Put pressure on the have the game at one of our 4 biggest grounds where we could maximise the attendance, absolutely.

Fair play to him, he's got an option on the table the SFA have to say no to, it might only be 4k max but it's a start.
So far all we've got is the SFA saying they've tried Old Firm and Hearts but have been turned down, a club have offered a bigger stadium than Tynecastle and have hosted test events.
It's pressure on the SFA that we needed, they might now pull their finger out yo get an attendance that will not lose them money?

Agree totally, but the pressure should be put on the SFA to try and show the crescendo to the season being played at on of the 4 biggest stadiums in the county, not their hovel of a ground.

I would watch Hibs play the Scottish Cup Final in Leith Links!

The most frustrating part is Aberdeen don’t have an updated stadium as they have basically neglected it and spend money on players last few years.

Even a few thousand fans at somewhere like Aberdeen is better than none at Hampden surely.

Fans getting in should be put above almost everything - but wouldn't Murrayfield be the best option if it can't be Hampden?

Pittodrie is bloody awful like you say. Imagine the FA having the cup final at say Craven Cottage or something like that? And thats doing Fulham a dis-service to compare it to Pittodrie.

I'd be more than happy to drive up to Pittodrie if it meant attending the cup final.

So would I, but the SRU should surely be given first refusal?