PDA

View Full Version : Right then, you big babies

Glory Lurker
09-05-2021, 03:12 PM
Oh no! It's St Johnstone! We're never beating them! I wish The Rangers had beaten them in the quarters!

So what? Cut it out!

Whoever won today would have needed to be treated with utmost respect. Respect though, not fear.

The worriers need to do themselves a favour and relax. It'll be tough - it's a Scottish Cup Final after all - but we are winning it.

Bostonhibby
09-05-2021, 03:28 PM
Experience has taught me not to expect us to win, these will be the only hampden trips I've missed in 50 years but I've been quietly confident since the Stranraer game, no reason why we shouldn't beat st. St. Johnstone if we're up for it and the referee manages what are essentially a physical side.

Its st Johnstone we're playing not bloody Brora.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

ABZHFC
09-05-2021, 03:30 PM
Oh no! It's St Johnstone! We're never beating them! I wish The Rangers had beaten them in the quarters!

So what? Cut it out!

Whoever won today would have needed to be treated with utmost respect. Respect though, not fear.

The worriers need to do themselves a favour and relax. It'll be tough - it's a Scottish Cup Final after all - but we are winning it.

I get why 'worriers' (of which I am definitely one) could annoy you, but this kind of attitude seems every bit as unhelpful. What happens if we don't? As has happened in 11 of the previous 14 finals we've been in - including against sides like Clyde and Airdrieonians

Hibernia&Alba
09-05-2021, 03:32 PM
A fifty-fifty game. St Johnstone's strength is being tight and well organised. We'll need a plan to break them down and finish the chances we create.

Pretty Boy
09-05-2021, 03:35 PM
Ultimately the fans feelings about the game make zero difference. That's even more true this year with no fans likely to be present.

If people want to worry then fine. If people want to be overconfident, that's equally fine. If people want to be somewhere in the middle then.... Well you get the picture.

It's on the players and manager. I have faith in them to get the job done. I wouldn't say I am brimming with confidence and I'm certainly not going to be talking about 'when' rather than 'if' we win the cup but I fancy us to be lifting the trophy in a couple of weeks time.

neil7908
A fifty-fifty game. St Johnstone's strength is being tight and well organised. We'll need a plan to break them down and finish the chances we create.

This. Whoever scored first wins imo.

Bristolhibby

This. Finish chances.

Was like my sons u12 game this afternoon. Battered a well drilled defence but couldn’t score. My heart was in my mouth as there was always the sucker punch.

I expect the 22nd to be exactly the same.

Hibs have to go for the jugular early. Total Blitzkrieg.

Get the lead. Let’s not have the one-two that St Johnstone are well capable of delivering.

J

SaulGoodman
09-05-2021, 03:37 PM
What happens if we don't?

We end with disappointment.
St Johnstone do a double.
The season ends.
Hearts will laugh despite being put out by Brora.
We go again next season.

Or we win it for the second time in 5 years.

What’s the point in worrying?

ancient hibee
09-05-2021, 03:40 PM
I get why 'worriers' (of which I am definitely one) could annoy you, but this kind of attitude seems every bit as unhelpful. What happens if we don't? As has happened in 11 of the previous 14 finals we've been in - including against sides like Clyde and Airdrieonians

Just from an accuracy point of view Clyde were a better side than us at that time and had won the cup a couple of years before.

Bristolhibby
09-05-2021, 03:40 PM
We end with disappointment.
St Johnstone do a double.
The season ends.
Hearts will laugh despite being put out by Brora.
We go again next season.

Or we win it for the second time in 5 years.

What’s the point in worrying?

To quote the Sunscreen song

“Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing Bubblegum.”

J

Barney McGrew
09-05-2021, 03:43 PM
If someone had offered us a Scottish Cup Final v St Johnstone at the start of this season, every person connected with Hibs would have bitten their hand off.

Irish_Steve
09-05-2021, 03:46 PM
You happy clappers won't stop me from wetting the bed.....

RyeSloan
09-05-2021, 03:48 PM
You happy clappers won't stop me from getting the bed.....

Aye but it’s what you do with it after you have got it that counts [emoji2957]

Bostonhibby
09-05-2021, 03:50 PM
You happy clappers won't stop me from getting the bed.....Fill your boots, I'd go for a bunk bed[emoji6]

You have two levels to hide behind/ wet.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
09-05-2021, 04:04 PM
If St Mirren had won today there's a real danger we would all have been going, brilliant it's St Mirren what a chance this is, and we would have been big favourites, a tag that never sits well with Hibs.

That's not the case now. St Johnstone are well drilled, tough to break down and they play for each other, they showed that in spades this afternoon. We couldn't have asked for a tougher game outside of the Ugly sisters, they are the form team in Scotland and have been consistently tough for us this season. As the presenters and pundits on Premier sports and the BBC were painting Hibs as favourites for the cup yesterday it took Michael Stewart to point out that ... and I quote .... "St Johnstone are Kryptonite to Hibs" and going by games between us this season he's not far wrong.

Can we beat them, of course we can. But IMO we simply have to score the first goal and force them to chase the game, if we allow them to bed in and clutter the midfield the way they do it will be a bloody long afternoon on the 22nd. We are the better team, but only if we play to our best, match their work rate, especially in midfield, and keep our concentration. Make no mistake this will be tough.

The Pointer
09-05-2021, 04:04 PM
St Johnstone were good today, better than us yesterday in my opinion. If we can make our passes count and they actually reach their intended target, and Porteous isn't harem scarem then we have a chance.

Diclonius
09-05-2021, 04:06 PM
St Johnstone were good today, better than us yesterday in my opinion. If we can make our passes count and they actually reach their intended target, and Porteous isn't harem scarem then we have a chance.

I would honestly play McGregor over Porteous for this game.

The Pointer
09-05-2021, 04:06 PM
If St Mirren had won today there's a real danger we would all have been going, brilliant it's St Mirren what a chance this is, and we would have been big favourites, a tag that never sits well with Hibs.

That's not the case now. St Johnstone are well drilled, tough to break down and they play for each other, they showed that in spades this afternoon. We couldn't have asked for a tougher game outside of the Ugly sisters, they are the form team in Scotland and have been consistently tough for us this season. As the presenters and pundits on Premier sports and the BBC were painting Hibs as favourites for the cup yesterday it took Michael Stewart to point out that ... and I quote .... "St Johnstone are Kryptonite to Hibs" and going by games between us this season he's not far wrong.

Can we beat them, of course we can. But IMO we simply have to score the first goal and force them to chase the game, if we allow them to bed in and clutter the midfield the way they do it will be a bloody long afternoon on the 22nd. We are the better team, but only if we play to our best, match their work rate, especially in midfield, and keep our concentration. Make no mistake this will be tough.

I think you put it more eloquently than I did. 🙂

JohnM1875
09-05-2021, 04:07 PM

Can't agree with that, sorry. St Johnstone really could have lost that against St Mirren today. St Mirren missed three glorious chances. Whilst Middleton fairly skelped his free kick, the keeper has to do better for me as well.

We were in cruise control against Dundee Utd yesterday.

Since452
09-05-2021, 04:11 PM
To be honest I'm quite pleased we're a bit concerned about St Johnstone. If the players feel the same they will know they need to raise their game. Going in over confident is a recipe for disaster

mcohibs
09-05-2021, 04:23 PM
To be honest I'm quite pleased we're a bit concerned about St Johnstone. If the players feel the same they will know they need to raise their game. Going in over confident is a recipe for disaster

This. However, I hope that doesn't stop us from playing with the same level of positivity we've shown in previous rounds.

This is probably the first game in the competition that the players won't be going into fully confident that they're the better team (given results against St J this season already).

hibby rae
09-05-2021, 04:24 PM

Absolutely, if they score first then they'll sit and be even more difficult to break down. If we score then their game plan is ****ed and they have to be more open.

For what it's worth, my gut feeling is we will win this.

hibby rae
09-05-2021, 04:26 PM
Can't agree with that, sorry. St Johnstone really could have lost that against St Mirren today. St Mirren missed three glorious chances. Whilst Middleton fairly skelped his free kick, the keeper has to do better for me as well.

We were in cruise control against Dundee Utd yesterday.

Agree with this. St Mirren should have had a pen and missed a couple of glorious chances before they conceded.

CmoantheHibs
09-05-2021, 05:40 PM
Think it’s 3 times they’ve beaten us this season. Bet they would swap all those victories with the cup final result after we skelp them. It’s our time.:flag:

Irish_Steve
09-05-2021, 05:42 PM
Aye but it’s what you do with it after you have got it that counts [emoji2957]

Dunno what you mean lol ;)

Cabbie1875
09-05-2021, 06:27 PM

So what? Cut it out!

This

Why do we fear them, they aint world beaters, they have been punching WAY above their weight this season, **** em, we will do em, turn up and the cups ours!!!

Cabbie1875
09-05-2021, 06:30 PM
Imo they have q brand of football that i dont want to watch, anti football, score and sit back and try and stifle the opposite team, its simple, if we score first they are beat

Northernhibee
09-05-2021, 06:36 PM
Imo they have q brand of football that i dont want to watch, anti football, score and sit back and try and stifle the opposite team, its simple, if we score first they are beat

I don't think it is. I agree that we need to score first, but you don't get to two domestic cup finals in one season without being a good team. We need to be alert for the whole game, be prepared to beat their high press, defend set pieces resolutely and take our chances when they come.

I honestly think it'll be the toughest game of the season.

Sammy7nil
09-05-2021, 06:36 PM
Just from an accuracy point of view Clyde were a better side than us at that time and had won the cup a couple of years before.

Had not just beat them two week’s earlier?

Sammy7nil
09-05-2021, 06:38 PM

The new Aberdeen as my mate calls them

greenlex
09-05-2021, 06:44 PM
We are due them one. Bring it on.

ahibby
09-05-2021, 09:58 PM
This. Whoever scored first wins imo.

Thats usually the case in SC finals.

Ringothedog
09-05-2021, 10:26 PM
Had not just beat them two week’s earlier?

They beat us twice in the league and in the final and they were 4th in the league we were 9th

Wakeyhibee
09-05-2021, 10:28 PM
Looking forward to this. St Mirren gave them a game today and by all accounts let them off the hook, so they are not miles in front of us, they are behind us in the league. No reason not to be confident without being condescending to the Saintees.

Bristolhibby
10-05-2021, 07:28 AM
I don't think it is. I agree that we need to score first, but you don't get to two domestic cup finals in one season without being a good team. We need to be alert for the whole game, be prepared to beat their high press, defend set pieces resolutely and take our chances when they come.

I honestly think it'll be the toughest game of the season.

We did it in 2016. In fact there’s another omen.

2016 - Hibs got to both finals won one and lost one.

2021 - St Johnstone have got to both Cup finals, won one, ……….

J

KingPat4
10-05-2021, 08:32 AM

What absolute twaddle.

Since452
10-05-2021, 09:01 AM
There is no point pretending St Johnstone aren't a good team. They are. Won the LC and are in the SC final on merit. I didn't see any "anti football" from them yesterday. We'd have been waxing lyrical if we'd scored a goal like their first yesterday. Very nice move.

We are also a good team though and i believe on our day we are a better team than them. I hope to god our day is the 22nd May.

AliboyFC
10-05-2021, 09:29 AM
We did it in 2016. In fact there’s another omen.

2016 - Hibs got to both finals won one and lost one.

2021 - St Johnstone have got to both Cup finals, won one, ……….

J

I remember that Ross county final I was at. I was crying for an hour after the game 😂.

Northernhibee
10-05-2021, 09:32 AM
I remember that Ross county final I was at. I was crying for an hour after the game 😂.

It destroyed me walking out of Hampden and hearing other fans celebrate a cup win. I think it made the Scottish Cup win all the more sweet. It still makes me cry with joy to this day when I watch it back.

AliboyFC
10-05-2021, 09:39 AM
It destroyed me walking out of Hampden and hearing other fans celebrate a cup win. I think it made the Scottish Cup win all the more sweet. It still makes me cry with joy to this day when I watch it back.

Yeh I would rather win the scottish cup over the league Cup. Hopefully this year we will win 🏆 GGTTH

JeMeSouviens
10-05-2021, 09:54 AM

The New Huns scored first against them, with a couple of minutes to go at that!

scoopyboy
10-05-2021, 10:09 AM

Just from an accuracy point of view you are wrong.

If they were a better side than us at that time why were they relegated between their two cup wins?

JeMeSouviens
10-05-2021, 10:34 AM
Just from an accuracy point of view you are wrong.

If they were a better side than us at that time why were they relegated between their two cup wins?

They finished above us the year they beat us in the cup though, no?

ahibby
10-05-2021, 11:45 AM
The New Huns scored first against them, with a couple of minutes to go at that!

I get the op point, that perhaps we are making too much of them, and maybe that's the case. In the end I think everyone agrees that they are a hard nut to crack and for me that is down to the way their manager/coach has them playing. Of course it's not an impossible job for us and one that we should see through but never the less, it deserves acknowledgement that they are a hard nut to crack.

KeithTheHibby
10-05-2021, 12:00 PM
I tend to think St J will be more worried about stopping us as we have better players and they know that. They are however perfectly capable of doing that, this season has shown this.
Jack Ross has a lot to think about as it's ultimately up to him how we go about breaking down a stuff St J team.

Can we do that? Of course we can.

Keith_M
10-05-2021, 12:19 PM
I tend to think St J will be more worried about stopping us as we have better players and they know that. They are however perfectly capable of doing that, this season has shown this.
Jack Ross has a lot to think about as it's ultimately up to him how we go about breaking down a stuff St J team.

Can we do that? Of course we can.

Awright Barack!

At least get your motto right

:wink:

scoopyboy
10-05-2021, 01:48 PM
They finished above us the year they beat us in the cup though, no?

They did finish above us in the league that season.

The point I was making though was although they won the cup in 1955 and 1958 it wasn't as if they were a dominant force over those four seasons.

Won the cup, relegated, promoted, won the cup.

ancient hibee
10-05-2021, 02:39 PM
They did finish above us in the league that season.

The point I was making though was although they won the cup in 1955 and 1958 it wasn't as if they were a dominant force over those four seasons.

Won the cup, relegated, promoted, won the cup.
They had one poor season.When they came back up they were much better better than us all season including beating us twice in the league.I certainly didn’t go to the final expecting to win.

Eyrie
10-05-2021, 06:37 PM
Did we not play most of that final with only ten men after an early injury?

Cardinal Hibernian
10-05-2021, 07:57 PM
Did we not play most of that final with only ten men after an early injury?No. You are thinking of the 1946/47 Scottish Cup Final against Aberdeen.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
10-05-2021, 08:10 PM
Big Baby - No

Bedwetter - Yes

ancient hibee
10-05-2021, 10:37 PM
Did we not play most of that final with only ten men after an early injury?

As good as. Andy Aitken who was in great form and had scored two goals against Rangers on the Monday night in Lawrie Reilly’s last game was crocked very early(by Mike Clinton with a knee in the back)and was a passenger on the wing.It was a repeat of what happened in the league match at Easter Road when Aitken and Preston were both carried off.

Greencore
10-05-2021, 10:39 PM
They were pretty average on Sunday, no reason why hibs can't pump them. We should given our squad and place in the league. But they're no mugs, will be a tough game.

scoopyboy
11-05-2021, 06:54 AM
They had one poor season.When they came back up they were much better better than us all season including beating us twice in the league.I certainly didn’t go to the final expecting to win.

Fair enough ah, you were there that season and I wasn't.

Am I right in saying that the second league defeat was actually after the final?

Since452
11-05-2021, 07:04 AM
Are we really comparing this game to a game from the 1950's?

Spike Mandela
11-05-2021, 07:23 AM
Think it’s 3 times they’ve beaten us this season. Bet they would swap all those victories with the cup final result after we skelp them. It’s our time.:flag:

The only time we beat them this season, they had a man sent off, they had a clearly onside goal disallowed for offside and we got a last minute penalty scored by Stevie Mallan.

THE most important factor on the day, all things being equal, may be luck.

Walter
11-05-2021, 07:25 AM
We need to get out there, go for the throat, then stand on it. Balls to the wall performance

Since452
11-05-2021, 07:25 AM
The only time we beat them this season, they had a man sent off, they had a clearly onside goal disallowed for offside and we got a last minute penalty scoted by Stevie Mallan.

That is quite a sobering thought. We really need to bring our A game. The law of averages says we are due a win and performance against them.

scoopyboy
11-05-2021, 07:46 AM
The only time we beat them this season, they had a man sent off, they had a clearly onside goal disallowed for offside and we got a last minute penalty scored by Stevie Mallan.

I will give you the goal they has disallowed should have stood.

However what is wrong with scoring with a last minute penalty?

And as for the player getting sent off it was at full time so had no bearing on the game whatsoever.:greengrin

Spike Mandela
11-05-2021, 08:12 AM
I will give you the goal they has disallowed should have stood.

However what is wrong with scoring with a last minute penalty?

And as for the player getting sent off it was at full time so had no bearing on the game whatsoever.:greengrin

There was much debate about the pen at the time and on other days we might not have been given it. My point really is, when teams are as close in ability and previous results as these two luck in the big decisions, not necessarily accuracy of decisions, will play a vital part. Sometimes you’ve just got to be lucky.

scoopyboy
11-05-2021, 09:10 AM
There was much debate about the pen at the time and on other days we might not have been given it. My point really is, when teams are as close in ability and previous results as these two luck in the big decisions, not necessarily accuracy of decisions, will play a vital part. Sometimes you’ve just got to be lucky.

Luck can play a major part, no question.

I remember as laddie my skip at bowls got a major fluke. The opposing skip said "you are better being lucky than good son".

My skip replied you are better being both. True story:greengrin

I believe Hibs are better but sometimes you need that wee bit of luck as well.

MunsterHibee
12-05-2021, 07:53 AM
St.Johnstone are one of the most well drilled and organised teams in Scotland and they have some good footballers as well like Rooney, McCann and Kerr etc. Of course it's going to be a very tough game it's a major cup final it's never going to be a cake walk or easy. Can Hibs beat them??? Of course we can. We've played them enough this season to know their strengths and weaknesses and I'd hope Jack Ross and the players have learned from previous mistakes in this fixture. We're the better footballing team imo and play the better brand of football but we will need to mix it up with them physically at times in the game and I hope our players can stand up to that challenge which they haven't really done against them in the league. If we get the 1st goal I think we will grow in confidence and they will have to change their game plan which could play into our hands. It's all about belief and confidence and I think the players are playing with both right now. 2-1 Hibs.
:flag: