PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Cup Final Memories

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-05-2021, 07:37 AM
Now that we are back into another Scottish Cup final, thoughts go back to that brilliant weekend 5 years ago. TBH, I always thought if Hibs won the Scottish Cup i'd be so absolutely blootered and the whole time would be a drunken debauched blur, but i'm glad to say looking back on it I didn't get as drunk as I thought I'd get. Not to say I didn't have a good drink over the weekend, i certainly did, but I'm glad that I was able to look back at it and remember pretty much everything I done that weekend, from the 9am pick up at Waterloo for the Hibs.net bus to take me to the Cricket Club before the game, to sitting in my back garden having a few beers on the Monday afternoon reading the various newspaper reports. I'm also happy that, despite my 2 daughters now being lapsed Hibbys and probably only going to games when they were young and being Hibs kids due to my insistence, that both were at the parade on the Sunday afternoon to enjoy the occasion with me. Looking back on it, I could easily have taken the selfish attitude that I would have had in my younger days of just being interested in the drink and nothing else. If we were to win the Cup in a couple of weeks time, it's unlikely to be the same as 2016 for many reasons, but its in times like these that that weekend just seems so perfect, I probably won't be as sensible next time. :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
09-05-2021, 07:47 AM
Playing football on the outfield of the cricket club. The cricketers appearing a bit later and looking bemused as a couple of hundreds Hibs fans cheered them on their way out to play.

Telling anyone who would listen I just wanted to be in the game after 70 minutes, we had been dead and buried relatively early in all the previous SC finals I had seen us in.

The absolute elation after the early goal.

My phone going nuts after the winner.

Not wanting to watch the last couple of minutes and standing facing the back of the stands. They guy standing behind me grabbing me and telling me to watch. 'You don't want to ****ing miss this.'

Heading home to bed relatively early on the Saturday as I was absolutely drained. I'd been stressed about the buses, had a whack to drink, the game itself then more to drink all took it's toll.

Up early on the Sunday. Harp & Castle for opening. Met my parents, Grandad, sister and loads of family friends down at the Links. Opened a bottle of champagne that had been in and out the fridge unopened in both 2012 and 2013.

Drinking for hours afterwards until the Police pitched up and asked the pub to close.

Wandering down Leith Walk on the Monday. Buying a paper and reading about it all again in the Central with another couple of pints.

As great as winning the cup again would be, nothing will ever top that weekend.

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-05-2021, 07:57 AM
Playing football on the outfield of the cricket club. The cricketers appearing a bit later and looking bemused as a couple of hundreds Hibs fans cheered them on their way out to play.

Telling anyone who would listen I just wanted to be in the game after 70 minutes, we had been dead and buried relatively early in all the previous SC finals I had seen us in.

The absolute elation after the early goal.

My phone going nuts after the winner.

Not wanting to watch the last couple of minutes and standing facing the back of the stands. They guy standing behind me grabbing me and telling me to watch. 'You don't want to ****ing miss this.'

Heading home to bed relatively early on the Saturday as I was absolutely drained. I'd been stressed about the buses, had a whack to drink, the game itself then more to drink all took it's toll.

Up early on the Sunday. Harp & Castle for opening. Met my parents, Grandad, sister and loads of family friends down at the Links. Opened a bottle of champagne that had been in and out the fridge unopened in both 2012 and 2013.

Drinking for hours afterwards until the Police pitched up and asked the pub to close.

Wandering down Leith Walk on the Monday. Buying a paper and reading about it all again in the Central with another couple of pints.

As great as winning the cup again would be, nothing will ever top that weekend.

Ha, forgot about that. :greengrin Still have the winning ticket that won me £40 that day on the bus. Coventry being the lucky team.