PDA

View Full Version : Josh Doig - Young Player of The Year

calumhibee1
09-05-2021, 06:32 AM
Well done Josh. Absolutely deserved. Has all the makings of an absolutely outstanding footballer.

JohnM1875
09-05-2021, 06:39 AM
That is genuinely outstanding! And think it's thoroughly deserved as well!

100% proved me wrong over the course of the season, as I gave him a wee bit stick about his defending at the start of the season. Love it when a Hibs player makes you look like a fool!

Well played, young man.

Tambo
09-05-2021, 06:41 AM
Well done Josh fully deserved and hope to see you at Easter road next season.

04Sauzee
09-05-2021, 06:43 AM
Brilliant form the young man and very much deserved

Dmas
09-05-2021, 06:44 AM
He's had a great season really looks like a player who could go all the way in the game, showed a great attitude and worked on his game as the season has went on well deserved award for the lad

here's hoping he's hoping he is still around next season

green day
09-05-2021, 06:53 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/why-young-player-of-the-year-josh-doig-is-no-rush-to-leave-hibs-after-joining-scott-brown-and-steven-fletcher-in-list-of-sfwa-award-winners-3229412

calumhibee1
09-05-2021, 06:57 AM
He's had a great season really looks like a player who could go all the way in the game, showed a great attitude and worked on his game as the season has went on well deserved award for the lad

here's hoping he's hoping he is still around next season

Every bit as much as his ability, his attitude will see him go far.

A fierce competitor but also level headed. Attitude wise he’s actually got a bit of John McGinn/Stevenson in him.

Hibs Class
09-05-2021, 06:57 AM
Well deserved

GRA
09-05-2021, 06:58 AM
Phenomenal considering he is 18 and it's his first season in professional football. Looks like he's played about 300 games let alone 30.

He'll inevitably move onto bigger things if he keeps up his level but hoping he stays about for a couple more years to mature even more.

Pretty Boy
09-05-2021, 07:00 AM
100% deserved.

When you look at the number of players who have passed through the club who have been unable to displace Lewis Stevenson as our 1st choice LB/LWB, it's amazing an 18 year old has slotted in so seamlessly.

With the 2 of them on board it's a position we can be very comfortable about going into next season.

Col2
09-05-2021, 07:03 AM
That’s his value gone up by another £m I reckon.

Delighted for him. Stay another year at ER, play in Europe and get into Scotland squad and we will make an absolutely fortune when he moves on.

scoopyboy
09-05-2021, 07:15 AM
Well done Josh, level headed laddie who will go far.

No idea why Hearts let him go but they must be regretting it big time, I like that:greengrin

J-C
09-05-2021, 07:23 AM
He's had a fantastic 1st season and thoroughly deserved, I'm still amazed Hearts let him go.

Crunchie
09-05-2021, 07:39 AM
That is genuinely outstanding! And think it's thoroughly deserved as well!

100% proved me wrong over the course of the season, as I gave him a wee bit stick about his defending at the start of the season. Love it when a Hibs player makes you look like a fool!

Well played, young man.
A lot of the credit has to go to Jack for the way he's used the young lad, dropping/resting him on occasion when required. Absolutely amazing achievement and well deserved.

WhileTheChief..
09-05-2021, 07:56 AM
100% deserved.

When you look at the number of players who have passed through the club who have been unable to displace Lewis Stevenson as our 1st choice LB/LWB, it's amazing an 18 year old has slotted in so seamlessly.

With the 2 of them on board it's a position we can be very comfortable about going into next season.

It’s a perfect scenario really.

Club legend that plays his whole career for us gets replaced by a promising youngster breaking through to the first team.

Not a penny spent on transfers and a guaranteed return when he eventually moves on.

Well done Josh.

Onion
09-05-2021, 08:00 AM
Proud day for Josh and his family. Has a big future in the game, starting with a Scottish Cup Final. Astonishing year for the lad.

Big_Franck
09-05-2021, 08:07 AM
Well done Josh, it's thoroughly deserved. Best young talent to come through for many a year. So glad he committed to a long term contract so we're again in a strong position here as well. Things are looking good.

Irish_Steve
09-05-2021, 08:31 AM
What, Young Player of the Year?? The footballing geniuses on Brokeback said he wasnt very good at all and would fit in well at Hibs. Surely they cant be wrong??

Bostonhibby
09-05-2021, 08:33 AM
Well done Josh, richly deserved.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

JohnM1875
09-05-2021, 08:35 AM
A lot of the credit has to go to Jack for the way he's used the young lad, dropping/resting him on occasion when required. Absolutely amazing achievement and well deserved.

Without a doubt, totally agree. JR is another one who is making me eat my words. And again,im chuffed at that!

Hibs players are usually proving me wrong in the wrong way, by letting me down after I always big them up. See Slivka. Great that it's happening the other way just now hah.

ian cruise
09-05-2021, 08:36 AM
Excellent news for young Josh, absolutely deserved based on the season he's had.

Tambo
09-05-2021, 08:57 AM
So it begins...... Daily Mail journalist Stephen McGowan believes Celtic could land Hibernian’s Josh Doig for as little as £1.2m this summer.

hibby rae
09-05-2021, 09:04 AM
Just looking at the winners list. Hibs players have won it more than any other club.

A quarter of the awards in total.

hibby rae
09-05-2021, 09:05 AM
So it begins...... Daily Mail journalist Stephen McGowan believes Celtic could land Hibernian’s Josh Doig for as little as £1.2m this summer.

He probably believes the earth is flat as well.

Wull
09-05-2021, 09:08 AM
This is brilliant news, Josh you are a star

MKHIBEE
09-05-2021, 09:10 AM

it’s not hard to see why he writes for that rag, full of fairy tales

Bostonhibby
09-05-2021, 09:12 AM
So it begins...... Daily Mail journalist Stephen McGowan believes Celtic could land Hibernian’s Josh Doig for as little as £1.2m this summer. They'll just save a few quid by recycling their John McGinn offer letter and crossing his name out and replacing it with Doig's.

Worked out well last time.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Skol1972
09-05-2021, 09:17 AM
Well done Josh, fully deserved. Saw the McGowan piece yesterday. Was wondering how he thought he knew what Hibs would sell to Celtic for. Think we will be looking for more than that as he is now on a long contract.

Billy Whizz
09-05-2021, 09:32 AM
Well deserved Josh, let’s now add the Scottish Cup to your trophy cabinet

H18 SFR
09-05-2021, 09:41 AM
Congratulations Josh Doig.

BILLYHIBS
09-05-2021, 09:42 AM
I would like to take this opportunity to thank our feeder club HMFC for letting us have yet another gem

Keep them coming guys

Well done Josh

JimBHibees
09-05-2021, 09:43 AM
Well deserved Josh, let’s now add the Scottish Cup to your trophy cabinet

This. Well done Josh and let's win the cup.

Eyrie
09-05-2021, 09:49 AM
Well deserved.

It easy to forget he's only 18 and in his first season at this level when you watch him play.

09-05-2021, 10:00 AM
Brilliant stuff. We'll done Josh. 👏

Sadly (for us) it'll increase his chances of leaving in the summer but on the plus side should add £1m or so to the price tag with any luck.

Hopefully though he'll see Hibs as the best place to continue his development for another 12 months, would be happy for some kind of sale with a loan back to us for a year and a nice chunky sell on clause.

marinello59
09-05-2021, 10:17 AM
Fantastic news and well deserved. Credit to the coaching staff as well. :thumbsup:

jacomo
09-05-2021, 10:25 AM
Good interview here:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/why-young-player-of-the-year-josh-doig-is-no-rush-to-leave-hibs-after-joining-scott-brown-and-steven-fletcher-in-list-of-sfwa-award-winners-3229412

Sounds like an intelligent young man who appreciates the set up at Hibs and isn’t agitating for a move. Good stuff.

CJHibby
09-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Great news and the biggest of accolades to the young lad. Fair play to the poster saying he's happy to have been proven wrong too. It takes a big man to do so.

CMurdoch
09-05-2021, 10:47 AM
A fantastic effort and a fantastic award. Well done Josh and those who have guided him so well this season.
However, I am concerned that the noise around him is growing very loud both on here and in the media after only one good season. Josh has a lot of developing to do and big time transfer chat and £ signs, agents, ambitious parents, journalists can derail a young guy.
He needs to remain humble and grounded and keep working on his game at Hibs for another 2 seasons. There is much to work on.
He will be 19 later this month. Kieran Tierney didn't leave Celtic until he was 21 and John McGinn didn't leave Hibs until he was 23.
Josh would do well to follow their example so that he and his game are ready for the step up.
Don't believe the hype Josh.

Phil MaGlass
09-05-2021, 10:49 AM
Well done Josh and BIG THANKS TAE THE HERTZ.

ancient hibee
09-05-2021, 10:58 AM
A fantastic effort and a fantastic award. Well done Josh and those who have guided him so well this season.
However, I am concerned that the noise around him is growing very loud both on here and in the media after only one good season. Josh has a lot of developing to do and big time transfer chat and £ signs, agents, ambitious parents, journalists can derail a young guy.
He needs to remain humble and grounded and keep working on his game at Hibs for another 2 seasons.
He will be 19 later this month. Kieran Tierney didn't leave Celtic until he was 21 and John McGinn didn't leave Hibs until he was 23.
Josh would do well to follow their example so that he and his game are ready for the step up.
Don't believe the hype everyone.

Exactly right.

KDY Hibs
09-05-2021, 11:12 AM
Fantastic stuff!

CraigHibee
09-05-2021, 11:17 AM
Well done josh, well deserved 👏

Vault Boy
09-05-2021, 11:18 AM
So throughly deserved. Brilliant, well done Josh. 👏

hibbie63
09-05-2021, 11:26 AM
Phenomenal considering he is 18 and it's his first season in professional football. Looks like he's played about 300 games let alone 30.

He'll inevitably move onto bigger things if he keeps up his level but hoping he stays about for a couple more years to mature even more.
Just hope like any good apprentice he does his time with the people who will realise his full potential.

Glory Lurker
09-05-2021, 11:26 AM
Great news. Well done, Josh. Respect to Lewis for his mentorship too.

Iggy Pope
09-05-2021, 11:27 AM
Great news for this young man who had a lucky escape from his last employers and look at him now.

The Harp
09-05-2021, 11:39 AM
Congrats to Josh on winning this award. He seems to be taking all the praise in his stride and keeping his feet firmly on the ground.
He's a sensible guy and will know himself when the time is right to move on - hopefully for us, that won't be for a year or two.
Great to see he's full of praise for the role that Jack Ross, John Potter and Lewis have played in his development.

Magpie
09-05-2021, 12:46 PM
Hibs have now won the award more than any other team. Credit to our academy.

Keith_M
09-05-2021, 02:36 PM
Congratulations, it's well deserved.

:thumbsup:

wookie70
09-05-2021, 02:43 PM
Well deserved and he has a very bright future. Credit to Lewis and Jack Ross too. Let's hope he will have to shuffle this award from the centre of the trophy cupboard because a Scottish Cup Winners medal has taken its place

jacomo
09-05-2021, 02:45 PM
He needs to remain humble and grounded and keep working on his game at Hibs for another 2 seasons. There is much to work on.
Don't believe the hype Josh.

I’m still finding it bizarre that Hibs fans are trying to chase him out the door.

I love Lewis but he’s been our left back for a decade because he’s seen off all those who have been signed to compete for that position. Now finally we seem to have a worthy successor but are happy to see him move on after one season?

Obviously if Josh continues to develop there will be no holding him back, but another season here will do him and us a world of good.

CMurdoch
09-05-2021, 03:46 PM
I’m still finding it bizarre that Hibs fans are trying to chase him out the door.

I love Lewis but he’s been our left back for a decade because he’s seen off all those who have been signed to compete for that position. Now finally we seem to have a worthy successor but are happy to see him move on after one season?

Obviously if Josh continues to develop there will be no holding him back, but another season here will do him and us a world of good.

When McGinn left Hibs we all knew he was ready and wouldn't fail down south.
Equally we knew when Cummings left that he had gone too early.
Josh Doig has done amazingly well but is well off being ready.

He has been judicially managed by Ross this season who has quietly removed him on a number of occasions when he has struggled and he has an intelligent professional in Stevenson to advise him and take his place in the team when required. In short a perfect support network.
He will start pre season knowing he is our left back, knowing he can do the job for his team but knowing he has lots he can improve on. He will also have a stadium full of fans watching and judging him which will be a new challenge.
So best that he is left alone to develop his abilities without daft transfer chat on here which will no doubt feed the cut and paste media.

dchibs
11-05-2021, 01:07 PM
This. Well done Josh and let's win the cup.

Would it not be just wonderfull if young Josh could bong in the winning goal in the final, miltdown on sickback would be amazing, come on Josh just do it.:greengrin

Callum_62
12-05-2021, 10:37 AM
Josh Doig, Ali Mccann, Nathan Paterson and David Turnbull nominated for PFA Scotland young player of the year

Nathan Paterson has played 7 games in the Scottish Premiership

Mental.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Brightside
12-05-2021, 11:43 AM
Josh Doig, Ali Mccann, Nathan Paterson and David Turnbull nominated for PFA Scotland young player of the year

Mental.

Ali Mccann wins that.... mental that he wasnt in the other list as he chose to play for NI after Scotland ignored him.

theonlywayisup
12-05-2021, 12:03 PM

Mental.

I'm confused now. What Young Player of the Year award has Josh Doig won that the OP is referring to?

Is it Hibs YPOTY? Or the Sports Writers YPOTY? I'm confused!

Brightside
12-05-2021, 12:09 PM
i'm confused now. What young player of the year award has josh doig won that the op is referring to?

Is it hibs ypoty? Or the sports writers ypoty? I'm confused!

sfa

oneone73
12-05-2021, 12:10 PM
sfa

spfl

Oscar T Grouch
12-05-2021, 12:14 PM
I'm confused now. What Young Player of the Year award has Josh Doig won that the OP is referring to?

Is it Hibs YPOTY? Or the Sports Writers YPOTY? I'm confused!

Josh has won the Football Writers Young Player of the year and is nominated for the PFAs YPotY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SFWA_Young_Player_of_the_Year

And from BBC article
McCann was on Wednesday revealed as one of four nominees for the PFA Scotland union's young player of the year along with Celtic midfielder David Turnbull, Rangers right-back Nathan Patterson and Hibernian left-back Josh Doig.

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-05-2021, 06:17 PM
David Turnbull wins the PFA Young player of the year award. Disappointing Josh couldn't add this to the writers award but a Scottish Cup winners medal on Saturday would certainly make up for it. 👍

erin go bragh
16-05-2021, 06:23 PM
David Turnbull wins the PFA Young player of the year award. Disappointing Josh couldn't add this to the writers award but a Scottish Cup winners medal on Saturday would certainly make up for it. 👍

What do they hunts know ,,, The Sun and the Daily Ranger included

Phil MaGlass
17-05-2021, 07:31 AM
Did Turnbull really only play 7 games, jees he must be the new Pele?

scoopyboy
17-05-2021, 08:21 AM

Nope , Turnbull played a helluva lot more than 7 games.

What made you think that?

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-05-2021, 08:48 AM

It's Nathan Patterson at Rangers who's only played 7 league games this season. A reason why many questioned his inclusion in the player of the year awards.