PDA

View Full Version : Partick Thistle Throw Toys Out The Pram

Keith_M
04-05-2021, 05:24 PM
I see the M8 Alliance is alive and well...

'No SPFL or SFA personnel will attend Partick Thistle's Scottish League 1 trophy presentation, manager Ian McCall has revealed.

Thistle were relegated after last season's campaign was curtailed because of Covid-19.

The Jags clinched the League 1 title and promotion at the first time of asking by beating Falkirk last week.

"The club and me were in complete agreement," McCall told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound.

"Nobody from the SPFL or SFA will be allowed in the stadium. They're not allowed in the stadium, simple as that." '
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56974371

:faf:

04-05-2021, 05:30 PM
I see the M8 Alliance is alive and well...

'No SPFL or SFA personnel will attend Partick Thistle's Scottish League 1 trophy presentation, manager Ian McCall has revealed.

Thistle were relegated after last season's campaign was curtailed because of Covid-19.

The Jags clinched the League 1 title and promotion at the first time of asking by beating Falkirk last week.

"The club and me were in complete agreement," McCall told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound.

"Nobody from the SPFL or SFA will be allowed in the stadium. They're not allowed in the stadium, simple as that." '
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56974371

:faf:

I’m still at a total loss as to why they’re behaving like this.

PatHead
04-05-2021, 05:34 PM
Stuff them.

Bostonhibby
04-05-2021, 05:36 PM
McCall must be setting out his "credentials" for mrs doctor Budge for when the Replay man gets canned.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

jacomo
04-05-2021, 06:15 PM

I think Hearts persuaded them to go tonto and they ended up looking like total fools.

No one likes admitting they are a fool so they are, in modern parlance, ‘doubling down’.

Jones28
04-05-2021, 06:17 PM
D’awww

Peevemor
04-05-2021, 06:22 PM
Pathetic, classless nonsense that will reduce their credibility in the longer term.

Since452
04-05-2021, 06:27 PM
Classless

Iggy Pope
04-05-2021, 06:28 PM
McCall. A walloper at what now seems to be a club full of them.

Bishop Hibee
04-05-2021, 06:38 PM
Trying to outdo their weegie counterparts for pettiness. No doubt the yams will lap this up.

Northernhibee
04-05-2021, 06:44 PM

Hibs Class
04-05-2021, 06:45 PM
Good to know they’re still hurting. Any sympathy for them is long gone.

Eyrie
04-05-2021, 06:58 PM
If the SPFL and SFA can't send a representative, then I'd assume that Budge will be doing the presentation.

Danderhall Hibs
04-05-2021, 07:14 PM
I can understand why they’re angry - there’s was a harsh one IMO. I didn’t agree with the court action and dragging Dundee United and Raith into it but would definitely have felt really hard done by if we’d been relegated when 2 points behind with a game in hand.

Billy Whizz
04-05-2021, 07:15 PM
I can understand why they’re angry - there’s was a harsh one IMO. I didn’t agree with the court action and dragging Dundee United and Raith into it but would definitely have felt really hard done by if we’d been relegated when 2 points behind with a game in hand.

Did it not go to a vote though?
A year is a long time in football

Danderhall Hibs
04-05-2021, 07:19 PM
Did it not go to a vote though?
A year is a long time in football

It did go to a vote and everyone else was happy to not get relegated (funnily enough). I’d remember for longer than a year if it was us as well.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-05-2021, 07:22 PM
McCall must be hoping that people start talking about this story and forget that he did a jobby in Simon Stainrod's shoe.

Callum_62
04-05-2021, 07:25 PM
Pretty pathetic to be fair

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

bringbackbenny
04-05-2021, 07:26 PM
Bitter weirdos

tamig
04-05-2021, 07:31 PM
If the SPFL and SFA can't send a representative, then I'd assume that Budge will be doing the presentation.

The lackie from ICT can tag along too. A reformation of the reconstruction task force as the presentation party.

04-05-2021, 07:37 PM
Pathetic wee boys

jakedance
04-05-2021, 07:37 PM

Just posturing to their fans, same as Budge was doing. They know it was the right decision and would have voted for it if they’d not been the teams being relegated.

WestCoastHibby
04-05-2021, 07:48 PM
Petty. They need to man up and move on.
Prove their worth next season and then they can play Billy Big Baws

Frazerbob
04-05-2021, 08:59 PM
Partick were very hard done by. I totally understand them holding their grudge. Unlike ha-ha-hearts, they did not deserve to be relegated.

Peevemor
04-05-2021, 09:05 PM
Partick were very hard done by. I totally understand them holding their grudge. Unlike ha-ha-hearts, they did not deserve to be relegated.

Surely their grudge should be against the teams that voted for their relegation and not the likes of Doncaster.

green day
04-05-2021, 09:08 PM
Regardless of what happened last season, all of this "refusing spfl / SFA into the ground" and "maybe not lifting the trophy" in hearts case is utterly utterly pathetic .

It's like something out of a primary school.

Andy74
04-05-2021, 09:09 PM

The same principle applies to both though. Was just closer for Patrick. Did any other team deserve it instead?

Col2
04-05-2021, 09:15 PM
McCall said on the radio that he will tell his story in due course and give exclusive toTom English - another prick whose hated towards Neil Doncaster comes through every time he is on the radio.

I think Patrick out of all the clubs were the most unlucky but the bitterness and love in between Jackie Low and Budge was cringe x 1000. They and the gorgie mutants seem to forget they took other clubs to court which if they had won would have prevented them getting promoted.

McCall is the perfect example of a bitter opinionated hun prick.

Steve20
04-05-2021, 09:17 PM

They were bottom of the league. Same as Hearts. The correct decision was made. You can’t just null and void a season that far gone. And you certainly don’t change the entire league size to suit a couple of clubs, just because they weren’t good enough to stay of bottom of the league.

There was no other choice.

WhileTheChief..
04-05-2021, 09:19 PM
McCall’s been bumping his gums on Sportsound all year about what ‘was done to them’. As if anyone cares.

Screw them. Hope they go straight back down.

WhileTheChief..
04-05-2021, 09:23 PM
McCall said on the radio that he will tell his story in due course and give exclusive toTom English - another prick whose hated towards Neil Doncaster comes through every time he is on the radio.

I think Patrick out of all the clubs were the most unlucky but the bitterness and love in between Jackie Low and Budge was cringe x 1000. They and the gorgie mutants seem to forget they took other clubs to court which if they had won would have prevented them getting promoted.

McCall is the perfect example of a bitter opinionated hun prick.

He has said the same thing every week since they were relegated. A total pain in the ass.

He seems to think that Scottish football is eagerly awaiting his account of things.

A totally insignificant lower league club manager that’s well past it.

Del Boy
04-05-2021, 09:33 PM
Never used to mind Thistle but they’ve turned into a right shower of twats. Not surprising with McCall in charge.

Richard Foster is also an utter prick.

Sammy7nil
04-05-2021, 09:44 PM
Not a dig just an observation will anyone outside of Firhill even notice or care :confused:

Smartie
04-05-2021, 10:38 PM
I have a fair bit of sympathy for them, they're entitled to act like twats for a wee while.

Them and Falkirk were very harshly treated.

Hearts less so and whilst it won't be a popular opinion on here, I do have sympathy for Hearts being relegated without playing all their games and it being official. I have less sympathy for them than the other teams because they were utter garbage for about 18 months, leaving them in the position they were in when the music stopped.

It was slightly harsh but a decision needed to be made and when you're 4 points marooned you can have fewer complaints than if you were 2 points behind with a game in hand.

jacomo
04-05-2021, 11:42 PM
I have a fair bit of sympathy for them, they're entitled to act like twats for a wee while.

Hearts less so and whilst it won't be a popular opinion on here, I do have sympathy for Hearts being relegated without playing all their games and it being official. I have less sympathy for them than the other teams because they were utter garbage for about 18 months, leaving them in the position they were in when the music stopped.

It was slightly harsh but a decision needed to be made and when you're 4 points marooned you can have fewer complaints than if you were 2 points behind with a game in hand.

Agree, it was harsh. But it wasn’t unfair... given the options, it was the least unfair way to resolve an unfinished season, which no one wanted but became impossible to avoid.

After the tantrums and legal action - pure selfishness that detracted from preparations for this season - they don’t deserve sympathy.

It’s so UNFAIR!

Hibs Class
05-05-2021, 06:42 AM

I agree. Taking rivalry out of it, it was unfortunate for all the clubs who were relegated, but it would have been harsher to deny promotion to the clubs that had earned it. Any sympathy then disappeared with the relegated clubs' legal action and attempt to burn Scottish football to the ground.

EI255
05-05-2021, 06:47 AM
Embarrassing behaviour from Partick.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
05-05-2021, 07:34 AM
Would be funny if nobody took the trophy or medals to Firhill since they’re not allowed in

LancsHibs
05-05-2021, 09:06 AM
What a petty irrelevant wee club, but that’s enough about Hearts:greengrin surprised and disappointed in PTFC.

bigwheel
05-05-2021, 09:16 AM
I’m definitely against the grain here. I like McCall. Like listening to him and think he’s a decent manager ..also got a lot of time for Patrick Thistle ..and their fans - those from Glasgow who choose not to support the old firm deserve respect imho.

tamig
05-05-2021, 09:27 AM
I’m definitely against the grain here. I like McCall. Like listening to him and think he’s a decent manager ..also got a lot of time for Patrick Thistle ..and their fans - those from Glasgow who choose not to support the old firm deserve respect imho.

I like Ian McCall too. But this pseudo-hertz behaviour has been embarrassing. Partick were my dad’s team so I’ll always have a soft spot for them but their antics over the past year have been really disappointing.

bigwheel
05-05-2021, 09:31 AM
I like Ian McCall too. But this pseudo-hertz behaviour has been embarrassing. Partick were my dad’s team so I’ll always have a soft spot for them but their antics over the past year have been really disappointing.

I think they were very unlucky to be relegated ...wronged perhaps - so I can understand their resentment to the footballing authorities

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 09:46 AM
Good on Partick Thistle. I like Ian MacCall. Total football man.

Hopefully it's clear to the SPFL and SFA that they are making a pigs ear of the running of the professional leagues in Scotland and its not just about two clubs from Glasgow.

Its clear there needs to be change in how the leagues are governed and structured. The handling of the leagues being brought to a close early last season was a total shambles.

Well done Partick.

05-05-2021, 10:00 AM

Hopefully it's clear to the SPFL and SFA that they are making a pigs ear of the running of the professional leagues in Scotland and its not just about two clubs from Glasgow.

Its clear there needs to be change in how the leagues are governed and structured. The handling of the leagues being brought to a close early last season was a total shambles.

Well done Partick.

How would you have brought them to a close?

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 10:03 AM
How would you have brought them to a close?

Expanded the leagues and used it as an opportunity to have a 16/18 team top league playing each other twice like 90% of all the other top leagues across Europe. This playing each other 4 times a season is just daft and solely benefits the Old Firm.

Spread the wealth potentially a bit for clubs like Partick, Falkirk, Ayr, Morton, Raith and Dunfermline.

It can't always just be about Rangers and Celtic.

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 10:05 AM

Well done Partick.

The clubs decide how the leagues are governed and structured, therefore it's the clubs that are making a "pig's ear" of running themselves.

I actually think they dealt very well with a pretty brutal situation last season.

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 10:07 AM
Expanded the leagues and used it as an opportunity to have a 16/18 team top league playing each other twice like 90% of all the other top leagues across Europe. This playing each other 4 times a season is just daft and solely benefits the Old Firm.

Spread the wealth potentially a bit for clubs like Partick, Falkirk, Ayr, Morton, Raith and Dunfermline.

Playing each other 4 times benefits the other premiership sides a lot more than it benefits the OF.

05-05-2021, 10:08 AM

Can't blame the SPFL/SFA for that. The structure that is in place is what the clubs decided on. Nothing to do with those at the SPFL/SFA running the game.

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 10:14 AM
Yes, because the club's have become too reliant on away ticket sales from the Old Firm. So a cycle has been created in Scotland where everything is weighted towards the old firm and clubs rely on their ticket sales. It is actually anti competitive.

The way its governed in Scotland is a shambles.

No of teams who have featured in Champions League from other countries:

Spain 13
Germany 13
France 11
England 10
Italy 10
Holland 7
Russia 7
Belgium 6
Turkey 6
Switzerland 5

Scotland 2

05-05-2021, 10:20 AM
Yes, because the club's have become too reliant on away ticket sales from the Old Firm. So a cycle has been created in Scotland where everything is weighted towards the old firm and clubs rely on their ticket sales. It is actually anti competitive.

The way its governed in Scotland is a shambles.

No of teams who have featured in Champions League from other countries:

Spain 13
Germany 13
France 11
England 10
Holland 7
Russia 7
Belgium 6
Turkey 6
Switzerland 5

Scotland 2

Not disagreeing about 16 or 18 teams though my understanding was it was changed because there were far too many meaningless games towards the end of each season. (CWithout checking, I could be wrong about that).

Again you've said the governance is a shambles. What is about the governance that's a shambles? (Bearing in mind that both me and Peevemor have pointed out it is the clubs that determine the league structure and not those who govern Scottish football).

Rumble de Thump
05-05-2021, 10:51 AM
Partick were honking last season, bottom of the table and relegated as per the rules they signed up to. And this was just a couple of seasons after being relegated from the top league. Like Hearts, if they really want to improve, they will need to start taking responsibility for themselves.

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 10:55 AM
Partick were honking last season, bottom of the table and relegated as per the rules they signed up to. And this was just a couple of seasons after being relegated from the top league. Like Hearts, if they really want to improve, they will need to start taking responsibility for themselves.

They were relegated being 2pts behind QTS with a game in hand.

Rumble de Thump
05-05-2021, 11:01 AM
They were relegated being 2pts behind QTS with a game in hand.

And still bottom of the league on an average points per game basis, which is why they were relegated.

CJHibby
05-05-2021, 11:09 AM
Quite right.

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:11 AM

The rules were made up/agreed after they signed up.

I think a lot of the comments on this thread are due to Hearts’ involvement- anyone that can’t put themselves in their shoes or see their point of view is completely blinkered IMO.

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:12 AM

I think a lot of the comments on this thread are due to Hearts’ involvement- anyone that can’t put themselves in their shoes or see their point of view is completely blinkered IMO.

Yes, just because it was Hearts doesn't make it right.

Rumble de Thump
05-05-2021, 11:14 AM

What rules were broken?

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 11:16 AM

I can see their point of view and from what I remember there was a lot of sympathy for Partick on here at the end of last season.

What I don't understand is their attitude to Neil Doncaster and the 2 football authorities. Their fellow member clubs voted for their relegation so, for me, they've picked the wrong targets for their wee benny.

weecounty hibby
05-05-2021, 11:17 AM
Personally I think that because it was hearts it was more right than it would have been for any other club! They were total dug***** for 18 months and deservedly went down. Partick were dug***** for en avenue longer time and deserved to go down. Just because they had a game in hand doesn't mean they would have won it. They were both rock bottom for a reason.
So in summary, suck it up Partick and GIRFUY hearts

05-05-2021, 11:22 AM

But it does make it funny.

Partick were hard done by due to being 2 behind with a game in hand. Hearts much less so due to being much further behind with no games in hand and playing sh*te. Any sympathy I might have had for them quickly evaporated because of the way they have behaved in the last 12-13 months.

This latest episode with their trophy presentations is just petulant attention seeking and they both need to grow up.

Good to know Hearts are still hurting about it though.

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:24 AM
I can see their point of view and from what I remember there was a lot of sympathy for Partick on here at the end of last season.

What I don't understand is their attitude to Neil Doncaster and the 2 football authorities. Their fellow member clubs voted for their relegation so, for me, they've picked the wrong targets for their wee benny.

It is agreed universally that Neil Doncaster is not the right person to be running Scottish Football.

Radium
05-05-2021, 11:30 AM
Last summer was full of it being someone else’s fault and an expectation that football would be able to find a solution that was to nobody’s detriment. Naive when the legal responsibilities of clubs was to look after their own interests.

Some clubs wanted it voided, led by TRFC. Huge potential liabilities for clubs just so that 9-in-a-row could be stopped.

Some clubs wanted no relegation and a magical form of restructuring. Given that did not have the support of Premiership Clubs, wholesale change was never going to happen.

You then had PTFC refusing to look at any compromise and joining a gang of clubs who started court proceedings. To claim now that they didn’t want to draw Cove, Raith and United into it is disingenuous. They wanted their positions in the higher leagues.

They lost in court.

Had they supported increasing the Championship to 12 clubs they would not have been relegated. Raith and Falkirk would have been promoted. Stranraer would not have been relegated with Cove and City promoted. Kelty and Brora [emoji12] would then have been admitted and the Brechin issue would not have arisen.

To do this United and Hearts would be promoted and relegated.

So PTFC can be as arsey as they want but they brought it on themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_M
05-05-2021, 11:32 AM
It is agreed universally that Neil Doncaster is not the right person to be running Scottish Football.

I agree with that, and many of the other points you made previously about the running of the game, but in this instance I think Thistle are just being childish and need to move on.

Last season, the clubs had a totally unprecedented situation from which there was no perfect solution. A decision was made by the clubs (not Doncaster, et al) as to how they would proceed and there was always going to be losers. As it is, both Hearts and Thistle were promoted at the first time of asking, so haven't exactly suffered too much.

CropleyWasGod
05-05-2021, 11:34 AM

If that's the case, why have the clubs not sacked him?

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:34 AM
What rules were broken?

There were no rules to be broken - it was made up on the hoof.

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:35 AM
Different circumstance I know but didn't we benefit from it being announced there would be league expansion midway through the 90-91 season?

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:36 AM

That is a very good question. Too many happy and comfortable with the Old Firm Pound £ my guess.

Northernhibee
05-05-2021, 11:39 AM
They had a much larger case for arguing that they could have turned it around than Hearts, but out simply once it became clear that teams needed the league to be called and prize money to be dished out to survive then that was the point to draw a line and move on.

I think a lot have lost sympathy for those two at that point.

Keith_M
05-05-2021, 11:40 AM
Different circumstance I know but didn't we benefit from it being announced there would be league expansion midway through the 90-91 season?

There was no relegation that season but Hibs finished in 9th, 6 points above the relegation place (only 10th place would have been relegated).

Just our of interest, though, what has that got to do with the discussion about Hearts and Partick Thistle?

:dunno:

CropleyWasGod
05-05-2021, 11:41 AM
That is a very good question. Too many happy and comfortable with the Old Firm Pound £ my guess.

In other words, they are happy with him in post.

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 11:44 AM

Agreed universally? Do you have any proof of this?

I was never a fan of Doncaster, although to be honest I'd never really paid him that much attention before, but I though he did a very good job in what must have been horrific circumstances this time last year. He came across very well in the interviews that I heard or read during the saga, coming across as an efficient administrator who had a solid grasp of all the issues at hand.

He may well have been crap before and since, I've no idea, but I do respect his handling of what went on last season.

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:45 AM
There was no relegation that season but Hibs finished in 9th, 6 points above the relegation place (only 10th place would have been relegated).

Just our of interest, though, what has that got to do with the discussion about Hearts and Partick Thistle?

:dunno:

Aberdeen have benefited with finishing bottom too and not being relegated.

The point is, why is it made up as they go along in Scottish Football?

Kato
05-05-2021, 11:46 AM

Well done Partick.There wasn't a total shambles, just lots of whining, moaning and law suits from clubs who had signed up to rules they didnt like being applied to them.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:47 AM
Agreed universally? Do you have any proof of this?

I was never a fan of Doncaster, although to be honest I'd never really paid him that much attention before, but I though he did a very good job in what must have been horrific circumstances this time last year. He came across very well in the interviews that I heard or read during the saga, coming across as an efficient administrator who had a solid grasp of all the issues at hand.

He may well have been crap before and since, I've no idea, but I do respect his handling of what went on last season.

😂

Sorry, not biting.

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 11:47 AM
Aberdeen too have benefited with finishing bottom too and not being relegated.

The point is, why is it made up as they along in Scottish Football?

Because Falkirk didn't have a 10k all seated stadium - criterea voted on and agreed by the SPL member clubs.

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 11:48 AM
😂

Sorry, not biting.

Not biting? You don't have proof because you made it up - admit it.

jacomo
05-05-2021, 11:49 AM

Would it be fairer to have denied Dundee Utd promotion then?

That’s the logical alternative.

Kato
05-05-2021, 11:50 AM
There were no rules to be broken - it was made up on the hoof.It wasn't, the contingency for an unfinished season was written up, rules were applied then certain clubs started jumping loudly. Maybe that noise makes you think it was made up on the hoof but it went to court and nothing was found to be remiss.

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:50 AM
Would it be fairer to have denied Dundee Utd promotion then?

That’s the logical alternative.

I think the fairest solution was to expand the league and move to a structure where we play each other twice a season. Consistent with other top leagues across Europe.

It is interesting that there isn't a directive from UEFA on it to be honest with how they want Cup Winners getting the Europa League spot.

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:51 AM
There wasn't a total shambles, just lots of whining, moaning and law suits from clubs who had signed up to rules they didnt like being applied to them.

What are/were the rules?

What was the vote for if it was already agreed in “law”?

Carheenlea
05-05-2021, 11:52 AM
Heard McColl bang on about this on the radio. Utterly childish.

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 11:52 AM
It wasn't, the contingency for an unfinished season was written up, rules were applied then certain clubs started jumping loudly. Maybe that noise makes you think it was made up on the hoof but it went to court and nothing was found to be remiss.

In fact the SPFL executive had the power to call the league without going to a vote, but preferred to let the clubs decide. I'm not sure what more they could have done.

Kato
05-05-2021, 11:54 AM
What are/were the rules?

What was the vote for if it was already agreed in “law”?It's in the SPFL's rules and the same rules allowed for a vote on any final decision.

Which rules were "made up"? what decisions were made "on the hoof"?

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:58 AM
Not biting? You don't have proof because you made it up - admit it.

Create a Neil Doncaster approval rating poll on here and find out for yourself.

Again, it is universally agreed from fans of all clubs that he isn't the right person to be running Scottish Football. You just need to listen to Sportsound on a Saturday. Cosgrove and Cowan slating him and all the pundits.

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/233654-neil-doncaster-what-a-cnt/page/10/

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2021, 11:59 AM
It's in the SPFL's rules and the same rules allowed for a vote on any final decision.

Which rules were "made up"? what decisions were made "on the hoof"?

I thought it was the rule to end a season before it ended and on an uneven number of games. The vote suggests a decision was needed rather than just applying the rules you’re suggesting they had written down.

I’m probably just amazed they had foreseen this situation and had rules in place for it.

Hibs Class
05-05-2021, 12:03 PM

The EGM last May was effectively a confidence vote and he survived it.

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 12:04 PM
What are/were the rules?

What was the vote for if it was already agreed in “law”?

"Season means the period of the year commencing on the date of the first league match in a season and ending on the date of the last league match in the same season or otherwise as determined by the board and which excludes the close season."

This rule appears to strengthen the argument that the season could be ended after 30 games with Celtic declared winner and Hearts relegated given it stipulates that the end of the season is defined as the "last league match" or "as otherwise as determined by the board".

Rule C38 further strengthens this case.

It states: "The club occupying position one in the league at the end of a season shall be declared the champion club of the league and shall hold the "The Scottish Professional Football League Championship Trophy" until the next season's league competition is concluded."

Put simply, the SPFL board have the power to define at what point the season ends and when it does with the team placed first automatically declared champion.

From March last year

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-rules-could-hand-celtic-21701473

So the SPFL board had the power to decide, but decided to let the clubs vote on it.

CropleyWasGod
05-05-2021, 12:06 PM
The EGM last May was effectively a confidence vote and he survived it.

Ta.

So not "universal".

Peevemor

Again, it is universally agreed from fans of all clubs that he isn't the right person to be running Scottish Football. You just need to listen to Sportsound on a Saturday. Cosgrove and Cowan slating him and all the pundits.

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/233654-neil-doncaster-what-a-cnt/page/10/

So your informed opinion comes from Off the Ball and a .net poll that I won't be creating anyway.

Crack on!

bigwheel
I wonder how many people slating Thistle would take the same position if it was us that were impacted in the way they were ...

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 12:07 PM
So your informed opinion comes from Off the Ball and a .net poll that I won't be creating anyway.

Crack on!

You never learn do you.

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 12:08 PM
I wonder how many people slating Thistle would take the same position if it was us that were impacted in the way they were ...

Correct.

05-05-2021, 12:09 PM

Yet the vast majority on P&B except for a few jambo moonhowlers didn't criticise Doncaster for the end of last season

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 12:09 PM
You never learn do you.

:rotflmao:

Kato
05-05-2021, 12:13 PM
I thought it was the rule to end a season before it ended and on an uneven number of games. The vote suggests a decision was needed rather than just applying the rules you’re suggesting they had written down.

I’m probably just amazed they had foreseen this situation and had rules in place for it.

Be amazed.

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/analysis/what-do-some-of-the-spfl-rules-say-about-potential-league-predicaments/

“Season means the period of the year commencing on the date of the first league match in a season and ending on the date of the last league match in the same season or otherwise as determined by the board and which excludes the close season.”

Clubs were given a vote even though there was nothing which meant the SPFL had to give them that, Hearts voted to end the season in that vote. The Court of Session decided no rules had been broken.

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2021, 12:16 PM
Be amazed.

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/analysis/what-do-some-of-the-spfl-rules-say-about-potential-league-predicaments/

“Season means the period of the year commencing on the date of the first league match in a season and ending on the date of the last league match in the same season or otherwise as determined by the board and which excludes the close season.”

Clubs were given a vote even though there was nothing which meant the SPFL had to give them that, Hearts voted to end the season in that vote. The Court of Session decided no rules had been broken.

I am amazed. So much for unprecedented eh? :hilarious

Rumble de Thump
05-05-2021, 12:18 PM

The people running our club would be to blame. Unlike most clubs, we were actually negatively impacted by how the league placings were decided.

Kato
05-05-2021, 12:24 PM
I am amazed. So much for unprecedented eh? :hilarious

So no-one is being "blinkered" on this thread, there were no rules broken and none were made up on the hoof other than to give the clubs a chance to democratically vote on the season ending and all your posts on this thread are wrong.

Northernhibee
05-05-2021, 12:26 PM
You never learn do you.

I really think it’s time that the two of you put each other on ignore.

The dalmeny
05-05-2021, 12:29 PM
Pathetic, classless nonsense that will reduce their credibility in the longer term.

no one will even remember it by the start of next season

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 12:29 PM

He'll be telling me that I'm acting like an admin next.

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 12:30 PM
no one will even remember it by the start of next season

Remember what? :wink:

hibsbollah
05-05-2021, 12:32 PM

Great use of the Benny word :top marks:

Northernhibee
05-05-2021, 12:33 PM
He'll be telling me that I'm acting like an admin next.

Let’s not continue this.

Allez Hibs
05-05-2021, 12:48 PM

Don't be daft. Do people really put people on ignore?

Northernhibee
05-05-2021, 12:52 PM
Don't be daft. Do people really put people on ignore?

Yes. I highly recommend it. These constant back and forths and woe is me is spoiling the enjoyment of the board for a lot of people and you should both either do this over PM or not at all.

That’s the last I shall say on that so this can get back on topic and not end up as another locked thread.

ErinGoBraghHFC
05-05-2021, 01:03 PM
got a lot of time for Patrick Thistle ..and their fans - those from Glasgow who choose not to support the old firm deserve respect imho.

Can't agree, every one of them I've met has been the absolute stereotype of a West End Glaswegian... Art school, quinoa and brewdog 🙄 they're only thistle fans so they can tell everyone how much of an individual and how special they are imo 😁

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2021, 01:07 PM
So no-one is being "blinkered" on this thread, there were no rules broken and none were made up on the hoof other than to give the clubs a chance to democratically vote on the season ending and all your posts on this thread are wrong.

I think an element of being blinkered is part of the reason we have responses like we do. Put it this way if it had been us who were 2 points behind with a game in hand there would’ve been more said of it.

I don’t think it’s black and white - like most things in life.

Northernhibee
05-05-2021, 01:10 PM
I think an element of being blinkered is part of the reason we have responses like we do. Put it this way if it had been us who were 2 points behind with a game in hand there would’ve been more said of it.

Thing is, if they’d come up with a fairer way to end the season and dish out prize money I think people would be all ears. No relegation and promotion would favour the teams who stayed up as they could likely outspend a team from the league below which would keep them safe the following year. If TV deals are dependent on four OF league games in a season then you can’t just reform the league like that.

Not heard a peep from either club about a fairer way to end the season and until they can come up with a plausible method they don’t have an argument IMO.

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2021, 01:13 PM
Thing is, if they’d come up with a fairer way to end the season and dish out prize money I think people would be all ears. No relegation and promotion would favour the teams who stayed up as they could likely outspend a team from the league below which would keep them safe the following year. If TV deals are dependent on four OF league games in a season then you can’t just reform the league like that.

Not heard a peep from either club about a fairer way to end the season and until they can come up with a plausible method they don’t have an argument IMO.

I can see the argument for ending and was laughing at hearts as much as anyone - I just think Partick took a sore one and not many seem to have much sympathy or empathy.

One solution that wasn’t discussed much was finishing the season like the EPL did. Arguments were made about fixture congestion which were nonsense based on the EPL and Championship managing it (given they have the same number of competitions, weekends and midweeks).

Kato
05-05-2021, 01:14 PM

Except the rules, they were in black and white, literally. I find the ones most blinkered are those who like to stoke the controversy, like Tom English ignoring every answer put to him last summer and still asking the same questions over and over, even though he had heard the answers time and again.

Even he gave up on this topic - eventually.

Northernhibee
05-05-2021, 01:22 PM
I can see the argument for ending and was laughing at hearts as much as anyone - I just think Partick took a sore one and not many seem to have much sympathy or empathy.

One solution that wasn’t discussed much was finishing the season like the EPL did. Arguments were made about fixture congestion which were nonsense based on the EPL and Championship managing it (given they have the same number of competitions, weekends and midweeks).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and there was no way of knowing if we could conclude it and with so many teams screaming out for prize money action needed to be taken.

For me, Partick have somewhat burned any sympathy I may have had for their situation quite quickly indeed.

Peevemor

The problem with finishing the season was that the Scottish Government put a stop to clubs training, which wasn't the case in England. Restarting and finishing the season in Scotland was out of the question because of this.

JimBHibees

Obviously not if the clubs keep him in his position

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2021, 02:04 PM
Except the rules, they were in black and white, literally. I find the ones most blinkered are those who like to stoke the controversy, like Tom English ignoring every answer put to him last summer and still asking the same questions over and over, even though he had heard the answers time and again.

Even he gave up on this topic - eventually.

It’s hardly stoking controversy to say it’s harsh to be relegated when you’ve played less games than those ahead of you.

Kato
05-05-2021, 02:23 PM
It’s hardly stoking controversy to say it’s harsh to be relegated when you’ve played less games than those ahead of you.

Did they stop at the word "harsh" or did they cheer and goad the clubs involved so much it ended up in court?

It was harsh, it was unfortunate but it was unfair or out with the rules.

Keith_M
05-05-2021, 05:15 PM
Aberdeen have benefited with finishing bottom too and not being relegated.

The point is, why is it made up as they go along in Scottish Football?

The Hibs situation you previously mentioned was thirty years ago, and we stayed up legitimately (though only just), not because of a rule change. Plus nobody suffered as a result, as two clubs were still promoted.

Aberdeen benefited from a rule regarding stadium criteria. It wasn't 'made up as they went along', but was well known at the time. Plus that was about twenty(?) years ago. Bit of a bummer for Falkirk, I must admit, but not the League's fault.

Anyway, neither of those had anything to do with Doncaster, or anybody else currently in charge.

Last year there was an unprecedented situation with a global pandemic. There were always going to be some losers and they tried to come up with the fairest solution.

The clubs then voted this through, not Doncaster and Co.

Eyrie
05-05-2021, 07:20 PM
The problem with finishing the season was that the Scottish Government put a stop to clubs training, which wasn't the case in England. Restarting and finishing the season in Scotland was out of the question because of this.

The bigger problem was the number of players that were going to be out of contract before any restart could happen.

What happened was unfair on the three clubs who were relegated, but that was their own fault for being so poor that season and a lot less unfair than any of the alternatives.