PDA

View Full Version : St Mirren Refused licence to compete in europe

Ray Donovan
04-05-2021, 12:48 PM
According to the BBC St Mirren have been refused a licence to compete in europe....

Does anyone know what that means for us?

If we get to the Scottish cup final and they do aswell does that mean we are guaranteed the conference league group stages (assuming we finish 3rd)?

calumhibee1
04-05-2021, 12:51 PM
According to the BBC St Mirren have been refused a licence to compete in europe....

Does anyone know what that means for us?

If we get to the Scottish cup final and they do aswell does that mean we are guaranteed the conference league group stages?

I presume so. I think we’d be guaranteed it based on league placing rather than the fact we were runners up. So basically, I’d think if either us or St Mirren win it then we’re in. Even if it’s a DU V St Mirren final.

Diclonius
04-05-2021, 12:52 PM
Why were they refused?

Stuart93
04-05-2021, 12:53 PM
You’d have to think if they won the Scottish it would be pushed through.

If it looks unlikely a hibs st mirren final would be ideal for us

Clarence
04-05-2021, 12:56 PM
If we lose the Scottish cup final to St Mirren, I won’t give a damn if we get into Europe.

CropleyWasGod
04-05-2021, 12:56 PM
Why were they refused?

Presumably, it's because they haven't submitted their 2020 accounts to the SFA.

nonshinyfinish
04-05-2021, 01:01 PM
Presumably, it's because they haven't submitted their 2020 accounts to the SFA.

That looks like one of a number of possible reasons given here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56982709

Premiership rivals Livingston, Hamilton Academical and Ross County also fail to fulfil the required criteria.

Each season the Scottish FA publishes licensing awards, while clubs can appeal against the ruling.

Uefa introduced a mandatory club licensing system in 2004 to tackle issues such as financial transparency and instability, inadequate stadia, overdue payments and lack of youth investment.

I think there was talk a couple of weeks back that Livi wouldn't be eligible on youth investment grounds?

davym7062
04-05-2021, 01:15 PM
If we lose the Scottish cup final to St Mirren, I won’t give a damn if we get into Europe.

this

Hibernia&Alba
04-05-2021, 01:17 PM

Let's get past United first. That's a tough tie.

Greenbeard
04-05-2021, 01:19 PM
I presume so. I think we’d be guaranteed it based on league placing rather than the fact we were runners up. So basically, I’d think if either us or St Mirren win it then we’re in. Even if it’s a DU V St Mirren final.
You seem to be taking it for granted that we will finish 3rd!

Northernhibee
04-05-2021, 01:19 PM

I don’t care how we get there, we can’t afford to pass up a multi million pound windfall that may not just mitigate the effects of the pandemic but would allow us to become stronger. The way we win more cups is to be the best team we can.

I want us to win the cup but that opportunity is vital.

CapitalGreen
04-05-2021, 01:20 PM

We will finish 3rd.

calumhibee1
04-05-2021, 01:26 PM

I can’t see Aberdeen managing to overtake us from this stage tbh.

tamig
04-05-2021, 01:27 PM

Not if United beat them. They’d get the big prize and we be in the qualifiers.

green day
04-05-2021, 01:28 PM
That looks like one of a number of possible reasons given here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56982709

I think there was talk a couple of weeks back that Livi wouldn't be eligible on youth investment grounds?

The other day the idiot that is Tom English was basically lampooning the comment Dempster made about "a financial meteorite hitting Scottish football".

His hot take was that "all the clubs are still here" so all is hunky dory.

As is usual with that flump, he cant even scratch the surface to see that clubs ARE struggling - as evidenced by the number of clubs not submitting accounts / not investing in youth etc etc.

calumhibee1
04-05-2021, 01:29 PM
Not if United beat them. They’d get the big prize and we be in the qualifiers.

I know, I said if us or St Mirren win it :greengrin

I wouldn’t expect it to go to the runner up to St Mirren if they get it, I’d think it’ll go to 3rd in the league

Billy Whizz
04-05-2021, 01:32 PM
They had a problems with their accounts a few months back

Police Scotland has confirmed it is investigating “financial irregularities” at St Mirren Football Club.

The probe was launched after “several historic issues” were found during an annual trawl of the Paisley club’s books.

worcesterhibby
04-05-2021, 01:41 PM
The SFA document is at the link below, but doesn't provide any further details. Interestingly we are the only club in Scotland other than Celtic to get a Gold award or above in every category. Rangers only get Silver for Finance/Admin.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/7835/scottish-fa-club-licensing-awards-april-2021.pdf

tamig
04-05-2021, 01:45 PM
I know, I said if us or St Mirren win it :greengrin

I wouldn’t expect it to go to the runner up to St Mirren if they get it, I’d think it’ll go to 3rd in the league

Agreed and the next league place would get the other spot - as long as its not one of the other barred clubs.

CropleyWasGod
04-05-2021, 02:04 PM
The SFA document is at the link below, but doesn't provide any further details. Interestingly we are the only club in Scotland other than Celtic to get a Gold award or above in every category. Rangers only get Silver for Finance/Admin.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/7835/scottish-fa-club-licensing-awards-april-2021.pdf

Following on from my earlier post, none of the "refused" clubs have submitted accounts to Companies House. Presumably, they won't have submitted them to the SFA either.

That's partly due to the CH filing deadline being extended by COVID, while the SFA one probably hasn't been. I suspect that, if St Mirren win the Cup, they will be given the opportunity to submit their accounts before the SFA have to finalise their nominations to UEFA.

Bostonhibby
04-05-2021, 02:18 PM
And all because they gubbed Hearts in the relegation winner takes all last season.

Typical Hearts flexing their muscles at EUFA level, who's next? where will it all end? when only teams with very small pitches plus Inverness can qualify for Europe?.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
04-05-2021, 03:32 PM

We would deserve to be banned from Europe for 5 years for such a calamity.

Keith_M
04-05-2021, 04:27 PM
In the unlikely event of St Mirren winning the Cup, the SFA will grant them a licence.

Greenbeard
04-05-2021, 04:32 PM
Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hibs
Hibs 0 - 1 Celtic
Stickies 1 - 1 Aberdeen (if St Johnstone can so can the Sheep)
Let's not count our chickens. Too much of that was done a few weeks ago when we were, what was it, 7 points clear?

04-05-2021, 04:58 PM
The other day the idiot that is Tom English was basically lampooning the comment Dempster made about "a financial meteorite hitting Scottish football".

His hot take was that "all the clubs are still here" so all is hunky dory.

As is usual with that flump, he cant even scratch the surface to see that clubs ARE struggling - as evidenced by the number of clubs not submitting accounts / not investing in youth etc etc.

Leeann's comments were over a year ago and long before the James Anderson c£3m and the govt help of c€11.5m for Scottish football. I don't suppose the so called journalist factored either of those 2 facts into the equation.

Carheenlea
04-05-2021, 06:01 PM
Leeann's comments were over a year ago and long before the James Anderson c£3m and the govt help of c€11.5m for Scottish football. I don't suppose the so called journalist factored either of those 2 facts into the equation.

Tom English was on Radio Scotland every night this time last year - I listened most nights as the Hearts circus was great entertainment and I recall that he himself was also predicting financial gloom.

He’s a hard guy to take seriously. Fancies himself as a font of all knowledge on every single sport, but is an expert on none.

cabbageandribs1875
04-05-2021, 06:48 PM
Livingston last played in Europe 18 years ago and would qualify for the new Conference League if they finish fifth and Hibernian win the cup.

mon Hibs and Livi :cb

Billy Whizz
04-05-2021, 06:50 PM
Livingston last played in Europe 18 years ago and would qualify for the new Conference League if they finish fifth and Hibernian win the cup.

mon Hibs and Livi :cb

The 2nd qualifying round for Livvi, if we win the cup

cabbageandribs1875
04-05-2021, 06:54 PM

they should be more specific :( is it three qualifying rounds and a play-off in the conference,like the europa ?

St Mirren: Scottish Cup semi-finalists do not qualify for licence to compete in Europe - BBC Sport (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56982709)

Sir David Gray
04-05-2021, 06:54 PM

As things stand just now, if we win the cup St Johnstone would get into the Europa Conference League.

Billy Whizz
04-05-2021, 06:57 PM
As things stand just now, if we win the cup St Johnstone would get into the Europa Conference League.

You’re right, but they play each other in the last game

cabbageandribs1875
04-05-2021, 06:59 PM

St Johnstone are the 2nd last club in the country i want getting any more success

not that i have a grudge against them

Livi v Sevco
Sellick v St Johnstone next wednesday

pollution
04-05-2021, 08:42 PM

They could, I am not sure why we would be favourites at Pittodrie.

lord bunberry
04-05-2021, 08:52 PM
In the unlikely event of St Mirren winning the Cup, the SFA will grant them a licence.
:agree: They gave the huns one.

tamig
04-05-2021, 08:56 PM

Sorry - but how can St J get into the Conf League if we win the cup? Surely they go into the Europa League qualifiers?

nonshinyfinish
04-05-2021, 08:59 PM
Sorry - but how can St J get into the Conf League if we win the cup? Surely they go into the Europa League qualifiers?

If we win the cup, 4th and 5th place go into the qualifying rounds of the Conference League.

The winner of the cup goes into the play-off round of the Europa League – if they win, they go into the Europa group stage, if they lose, they go into the Conference group stage.

mim
04-05-2021, 09:00 PM

We would go into the Europa League qualifier and Saints would go into Conference League qualifiers (3)

tamig
04-05-2021, 09:04 PM
If we win the cup, 4th and 5th place go into the qualifying rounds of the Conference League.

The winner of the cup goes into the play-off round of the Europa League – if they win, they go into the Europa group stage, if they lose, they go into the Conference group stage.

No, they go into the Europa League I’m sure.

Edit - just checked and I’m a dafty.

lord bunberry
04-05-2021, 09:06 PM
No only the cup winners go into the europa qualifiers.

nonshinyfinish
04-05-2021, 09:06 PM

They don't: https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-secure-five-places-in-202122-uefa-club-competitions/

In the Europa League, there will be one place granted to the winners of the 2020/21 Scottish Cup and the club will enter into the Third Qualifying Round of the competition.

The clubs who finish in third and fourth place of the Scottish Premiership will enter into the newly created UEFA Europa Conference League from the Second Qualifying Round.

(In the case of 3rd or higher winning the cup, 'third and fourth' becomes 'fourth and fifth')

Andy74
04-05-2021, 09:08 PM

No, which is why it was such a big difference this year. No chance of Europa League through league placing unless the Old Firm won the cup.

Instead you’ve a few rounds just to get into the Conference League.

Sammy7nil
04-05-2021, 09:53 PM

Maybe not on the day but a few weeks later you might :agree::agree: