PDA

View Full Version : Partnership with Brighton

Magpie
03-05-2021, 11:24 PM
Currently in talks over a partnership with Brighton according to the DR.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-seek-brighton-partnership-seagulls-24030950

bingo70
04-05-2021, 02:18 AM
Ok, we’ll start with a loan deal for Moises Caicedo and take it from there 😉

https://www.football365.com/news/brighton-boss-potter-in-no-rush-to-unleash-moises-caicedo

In all seriousness though, this would be a terrific move I think. I know people might turn their nose up at a club like Brighton compared to a bigger name in English football but they are clearly a very well run club over achieving. I would guess Brighton are doing a lot of things right at every level to get the success they have done recently.

Potentially quite an exciting link up imo

Fuzzywuzzy
04-05-2021, 05:46 AM
Did we not have one with Chelsea years ago that seemed to do little?

Bristolhibby
04-05-2021, 06:10 AM
Pre season friendly away to Brighton.

My dreams have come true!

My wife went to university in Brighton, I have many fond memories of the city.

Always said if I could move my job to somewhere it would be Brighton.

J

calumhibee1
04-05-2021, 06:26 AM
Could be interesting. Have Brighton brought through any youth players recently that we’d have heard of?

Hope they don’t try and pawn Shane Duffy off to us :duck:

JeMeSouviens
04-05-2021, 06:52 AM
More bloody seagulls! :rolleyes:

JXM73
04-05-2021, 07:07 AM
Last two clubs i had a season ticket with....

bingo70
04-05-2021, 07:12 AM
Last two clubs i had a season ticket with....

Do you know much about their youth set up? Is it meant to be decent? Have they got a record of bringing young players through?

Glory Lurker
04-05-2021, 07:12 AM

Superb!

There's not been enough seagull chat thanks to games being off limits.

JXM73
04-05-2021, 07:19 AM
Do you know much about their youth set up? Is it meant to be decent? Have they got a record of bringing young players through?

They have a brand new academy and set up is excellent, youth football was huge part of the club before premiership pounds came calling, funnily lost interest then as it wasnt the club i supported in 90s-00s... would be a decent partnership but say our youth development is producing more 1st team players...

neil7908
04-05-2021, 07:52 AM
Sounds really promising, look forward to hearing more.

Logie Green
04-05-2021, 08:06 AM
The person at Brighton responsible for overseeing their loanees to ‘foreign’ clubs is the bundle of joy known as David Weir.

J-C
04-05-2021, 08:08 AM
Nothing wrong with this, if we get the odd very good loan that moves us forward, I'm all for that.

matty_f
04-05-2021, 08:16 AM
I don’t think it’s just about getting players from them, it’s as much about supporting the development of our players by giving them exposure and access to that level of set up/quality and potentially our coaches etc getting that experience, too.

I’m all for this kind of thing, I think it’s a great idea.

surreyhibbie
04-05-2021, 08:18 AM
my Crystal Palace-supporting friends will not be impressed ! :greengrin

think I will keep this quiet. :wink:

Jones28
04-05-2021, 08:19 AM
Doigs future club?

bingo70
04-05-2021, 08:26 AM
I don’t think it’s just about getting players from them, it’s as much about supporting the development of our players by giving them exposure and access to that level of set up/quality and potentially our coaches etc getting that experience, too.

I’m all for this kind of thing, I think it’s a great idea.

Not necessarily getting loans from them either.

A huge amount of players aren’t able to make the step up from development football to premiership first team. There will be players released from them that we will be able to get a huge amount of information on. Similarly the players they have come up against that are getting released by bigger clubs, they’ll know all about everyone at that level down there.

Huge resource tk have available to us.

I think this could be very exciting.

hibbie02
04-05-2021, 08:27 AM
my Crystal Palace-supporting friends will not be impressed ! :greengrin

think I will keep this quiet. :wink:

I fondly remember the fraternal greetings between fans when Palace used to come to the Goldstone Ground.... Spent many a good time there and even went to Wembley in 1991 for the Playoff Final v Notts County and Neil Warnock. Pleased with this link up.

vercol36
04-05-2021, 08:52 AM
I don't watch much English football, but if my Fantasy Premier League team is anything to go by - we'll take Dunk and Maupay please

franks
04-05-2021, 08:54 AM

Indeed we did and yes nothing much came of it (if anything). Doesn't mean this wont work to our mutual advantage though although not holding my breath.

Vault Boy
04-05-2021, 08:55 AM
I'm glad we're exploring more partnerships like this. It'll be interesting to see the details/terms of any agreement that we reach, as we seem to already be sending youth players to English teams to create a plurality of experiences for them. Maybe this would just formalise the process and make it easier to arrange.

Couldn't have picked a team much further away in Britain mind. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
04-05-2021, 08:58 AM
Pre season friendly away to Brighton.

My dreams have come true!

My wife went to university in Brighton, I have many fond memories of the city.

Always said if I could move my job to somewhere it would be Brighton.

J

My wife was born in Brighton!

CapitalGreen
04-05-2021, 09:00 AM
Could be interesting. Have Brighton brought through any youth players recently that we’d have heard of?

Hope they don’t try and pawn Shane Duffy off to us :duck:

Solly March, Ben White and Lewis Dunk all came through their academy and are regular starters for them in the Premier League. However Brighton were near bankrupt just a few years ago and didn’t even have their own ground until recently. They’ve invested heavily in their academy since then so I imagine they’ll be hopeful of producing more players going forward.

cabbageandribs1875
04-05-2021, 09:10 AM
Solly March, Ben White and Lewis Dunk all came through their academy and are regular starters for them in the Premier League. However Brighton were near bankrupt just a few years ago and didn’t even have their own ground until recently. They’ve invested heavily in their academy since then so I imagine they’ll be hopeful of producing more players going forward.

Ben White was brilliant on loan at Leeds last season whilst in the championship, Leeds tried to buy him last summer but Brighton were wanting £25m iirc

Keith_M
04-05-2021, 09:11 AM

I think the idea is that they send their Seagulls up to us for some practice and to get properly toughened up.

Since90+2
04-05-2021, 09:18 AM
Definitely something we should be exploring but the downside to it could be that Brighton are potentially not a Premier League team for much longer and are relegated in the next season or so.

Not sure the linkup would seem as attractive if Brighton ended up being predominantly a Championship team in the years to come.

Hibernia&Alba
04-05-2021, 09:21 AM
Brighton, that's a bit random. Nice place mind.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-05-2021, 09:27 AM
Excellent news! :agree: :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ1NNoIbF5E

Keith_M
04-05-2021, 09:28 AM
I would walk five hundred miles
and I would walk five hundred more

Give or take a few miles, that's pretty much Easter Road to Brighton, and back.

:dunno:

GreenCastle
04-05-2021, 09:31 AM

Haha brilliant!

Crab apple
04-05-2021, 09:40 AM
I visited their ground a few years ago through work. It was a non match day but the place was really lively with a number of community enterprises and businesses housed in the stadium.

Bristolhibby
04-05-2021, 10:02 AM
I visited their ground a few years ago through work. It was a non match day but the place was really lively with a number of community enterprises and businesses housed in the stadium.

Right on the Uni campus. My wife’s halls were just down the road.

Went to a few games at the Withdean when they played there. Now that’s a weird ground. Set in the middle of what feels like a forest.

Horrible homophobic chants coming from the away fans.

J

Hibernia&Alba
04-05-2021, 10:22 AM

Went to a few games at the Withdean when they played there. Now that’s a weird ground. Set in the middle of what feels like a forest.

J

Yes, Brighton is a big centre of the LGBT community. Idiots amongst football supporters will obviously play on that.

mayo hibee
04-05-2021, 10:31 AM
These things really depend of what the link up specifically involves. Both clubs would want it to be beneficial to their own interests and Hibs obviously need to make sure it doesn't just involve us becoming effectively a feeder club, which is probably why the Chelsea link up never really happened in the end.

Having said all that, Brighton have one of the most interesting youth setups in England at the moment. They bring in some real quality at that age group as it is seen as a club with a more realistic path to first team football than joining one of the bigger hitters. So there is likely to be some genuine quality coming out of the development squad that we could look at, both in terms of loans and players that we could pick up who maybe just fall short at that level.

For instance I know that Evan Ferguson, who is probably the most highly rated player to come through the Irish system in recent years, basically had his pick of any English club he wanted but went for Brighton. He's too young for a loan move just yet. But it shows the level of talent they are able to attract to the club.

Billy Whizz
04-05-2021, 10:32 AM
Maybe they’ll send us Duffy for next season…..

Hibernia&Alba
04-05-2021, 10:34 AM
Maybe they’ll send us Duffy for next season…..

Partnership immediately terminated!

AliboyFC
04-05-2021, 10:36 AM
Partnership immediately terminated!

Duffy masterclass

Pilrig_Sauzee
04-05-2021, 10:46 AM
Are they any good at chips? Could we send our caterers down to learn from a bigger kitchen set up?

ShadesLongThrow
04-05-2021, 10:53 AM

I think you're forgetting about the super talented Islam Feruz and Yves Makalamby :greengrin

AliboyFC
04-05-2021, 10:58 AM
Are they any good at chips? Could we send our caterers down to learn from a bigger kitchen set up?

:greengrin:greengrin

Keith_M
04-05-2021, 12:27 PM

J

Were they playing Hearts?

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2021, 01:34 PM
Have these types of partnerships been good for any clubs in the past? :dunno:

Not In The Know
04-05-2021, 02:00 PM

They have an amazing training and youth academy.

https://kssgroup.com/projects/bhafc-ntg-academy/

Inconsequential
04-05-2021, 02:02 PM
I think this partnership rocks! See what I done there? I'll get my coat. :greengrin

CapitalGreen
04-05-2021, 02:14 PM

We don’t have any details on what type of partnership it is.

CropleyWasGod
04-05-2021, 02:18 PM
I think this partnership rocks! See what I done there? I'll get my coat. :greengrin

It certainly rings my belle.

ancient hibee
04-05-2021, 02:22 PM

A trainload of jokes on the way.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2021, 02:23 PM
We don’t have any details on what type of partnership it is.

True, although i suppose it's a bit more than trading a bit of tablet for some rock. :wink:

Peevemor
04-05-2021, 02:27 PM

A trainload of jokes on the way.

Do we Hove to ruin another thread?

Since452
04-05-2021, 02:33 PM
Will be a great chance for Brighton's best players to play for a bigger club

Hibernia&Alba
04-05-2021, 02:40 PM
So many of you are being reported for patter abuse :greengrin

Hibs Class
04-05-2021, 03:33 PM
Do we Hove to ruin another thread?

If we rally around we can stop it.

gbhibby
04-05-2021, 03:40 PM
You will just have to beach all your naked puns.

Partnership could be a good idea need to see more details though.

Billy Whizz
04-05-2021, 03:53 PM
Do Brighton have any well known fans?

Inconsequential
04-05-2021, 03:55 PM
All punters will be held accountable before their peers. :agree:

Hibs Class
04-05-2021, 04:00 PM

I think Des Lynam might have been a fan, and more recently Fatboy Slim.

ScottB
04-05-2021, 04:22 PM
Hopefully we could get the Argentine Mac Allister on loan.

With a name like that surely he’d fancy some time up here!

Billy Whizz
04-05-2021, 04:55 PM
Brighton play more home grown players than any other side in the premier league

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2021, 04:59 PM

Yes. Vitesse have been carried by their linkup with Chelsea recently.

bingo70
04-05-2021, 05:06 PM
Yes. Vitesse have been carried by their linkup with Chelsea recently.

Did Royal Antwerp not do ok with their link up with Manchester United?

In any case, I think because of brexit, the make up of a deal like this will be completely different from anything that’s been done before.

The whole footballing landscape has changed in Britain for players aged 16-20.

hhibs
04-05-2021, 05:07 PM

American Express for one !

Now that would be an interesting connection.

Hibernia&Alba
04-05-2021, 05:12 PM
I think Des Lynam might have been a fan, and more recently Fatboy Slim.

:agree::agree:

weecounty hibby
04-05-2021, 07:00 PM
I'm very late to this particular party but this is so Hibs. A relationship with Brighton whereby the tarts have got relationships with Man City and Liverpool. Small time again!!

Seriously though this could be great for Hibs. I'd say our history and tradition makes us a "bigger" club but they have the financial clout of an EPL/Championship club in England. Fingers crossed its a success for both

bringbackbenny
04-05-2021, 07:32 PM

'Well known' perhaps stretching it but Attila the Stockbroker is a massive Brighton fan.

Billy Whizz
04-05-2021, 07:35 PM
Think they are coming to Hibs for European experience
When is the last time BHA last played in Europe😀

Pretty Boy
04-05-2021, 07:57 PM
I like the idea of this.

It's been mentioned already but the opportunity for our young players to go and experience life in and around a Premier League club in England is one that shouldn't be sniffed at.

It's the kind of relationship that will be based on mutual trust and suggests we are positively viewed as a set up down south. Brighton will trust us as a place that their young players will be looked after, coached properly and treated well. We trust them to give our young players positive experiences in a different set up.

Northernhibee
04-05-2021, 08:03 PM
I like the idea of this.

It's been mentioned already but the opportunity for our young players to go and experience life in and around a Premier League club in England is one that shouldn't be sniffed at.

It's the kind of relationship that will be based on mutual trust and suggests we are positively viewed as a set up down south. Brighton will trust us as a place that their young players will be looked after, coached properly and treated well. We trust them to give our young players positive experiences in a different set up.

May also help in signing more Nisbets and Mackays knowing that they’ll automatically be on the radar of Brighton.

The Modfather
04-05-2021, 08:07 PM
My initial reaction was a bit underwhelmed, but the more I’ve read about it and thought about it the more I’m coming round to it. Aberdeen have used the loan market well over the years, e.g. Maddison, Christie. Always felt we missed a trick in that regard, we might just be able to get youngsters on loan that would otherwise be out of our reach. As long as it doesn’t harm the pathway for our own youngsters.

NAE NOOKIE
04-05-2021, 11:00 PM
American Express for one !

Now that would be an interesting connection.

My partner has an American Express card and like literally nowhere accepts it :greengrin

LancsHibs
05-05-2021, 08:36 AM
Can’t really see what’s in it for us or them to be honest.:dunno: They may sent the odd young lad up for experience. Would we really want them? Can we not use the loan market reasonably and independently already? Do we want to be seen as a ‘feeder club’ to an English club who to be honest if we were on a level playing field I would regard as a smaller club then us? And if we have any saleable talent we are always going to sell the highest bidder not who we have a nice relationship with! I would hope.
Sorry don’t see the point if true.

LancsHibs
05-05-2021, 08:37 AM
My partner has an American Express card and like literally nowhere accepts it :greengrin

This is true, they are next to useless.

Peevemor
05-05-2021, 08:49 AM
Can’t really see what’s in it for us or them to be honest.:dunno: They may sent the odd young lad up for experience. Would we really want them? Can we not use the loan market reasonably and independently already? Do we want to be seen as a ‘feeder club’ to an English club who to be honest if we were on a level playing field I would regard as a smaller club then us? And if we have any saleable talent we are always going to sell the highest bidder not who we have a nice relationship with! I would hope.

I'm the same in that I don't know what's in it for us. However, given that the club seems keen to set up these partnerships, there must be an advantage somewhere.

I'm happy to wait and see how things pan out.

Kaff
05-05-2021, 09:16 AM
Initially the link up might not involve a lot of playing time at 1st team level, it may be that our young Academy players go there to experience life at a top level set up and to learn of the professionalism required?
I always think Scottish players are late to mature and invariably don't succeed in England until they're over 21, contrast that with the young players in England breaking through as teenagers and being capable straight away.
Why is this, surely has to largely be physical preparation and lifestyle choices?
Other than Brighton getting first option on the likes of Doig I'm not so sure what they can get in the short term, it's probably extending their catchment area of talent and having control of the development I'd imagine?
We'll have to be careful how it goes as it would be a shame if there's 4 good level boys at 14yr old now and at 18yr old we end up with 2 not yet capable of league football whereas the better prospects are in the Brighton system, what return do we get for that? Obviously if we'd control of the situation then we'd have transfer fees for the 2 good prospects even if it was similar fees to the talk of the current goalkeeper Johnston and Man City.
Ideally we play these boys till they're 20/21 and realise a big fee after 60/70 games where we've enjoyed them on the pitch.
Sounds great and tbh hasn't been happening recently so we have to approach this with an open mind and hope we see tangible benefits from our youth setup in coming years, I'd rather that than getting a raft of their loanees coming up the road tbh.

Hibs Class
05-05-2021, 10:24 AM

I used to think that was the case until I got a British Airways Amex. I still get a few merchants that don't accept it but the vast majority of places I use do accept it.

mayo hibee
05-05-2021, 10:46 AM
One issue we have had (outside of Covid when the Academy was fully up and running) is getting quality games for our developing players. There has been too much hammering the Dunfermline Under 19s etc going on in recent years.

When people ask why players here often don't develop until a later age I think this is a large part of the problem, they're not facing the standard of opposition in age group games that players in England, Spain, Germany etc are.

So if this leads to regular games against the Brighton Under 18s and Under 23s that's a definite positive.

hibbydad
05-05-2021, 10:47 AM
I used to think that was the case until I got a British Airways Amex. I still get a few merchants that don't accept it but the vast majority of places I use do accept it.
I have an american express nectar card and it is accepted most places now

Kaff
05-05-2021, 11:20 AM
One issue we have had (outside of Covid when the Academy was fully up and running) is getting quality games for our developing players. There has been too much hammering the Dunfermline Under 19s etc going on in recent years.

When people ask why players here often don't develop until a later age I think this is a large part of the problem, they're not facing the standard of opposition in age group games that players in England, Spain, Germany etc are.

So if this leads to regular games against the Brighton Under 18s and Under 23s that's a definite positive.

Yes, good point. It may be that Brighton will give us a base to go away and play against teams in that area rather than just Brighton themselves.
We might go for a fortnight and play 4 meaningful matches for instance?
Done on a regular basis would be expensive but with this tie in it could be possible

Hibbyradge
06-05-2021, 07:36 AM

That's not true.

They're not as ubiquitous as Visaor MasterCard, but I use mine a lot and I've collected hundreds of thousands of airmiles doing so.

Since90+2
06-05-2021, 07:43 AM

They charge the vendor 3% of the transaction value which is why a lot of places don't accept it.

Keith_M
06-05-2021, 08:16 AM
Once again I've lost track... Is this thread about Brighton, or Credit Cards?

:dunno:

Maybe I'm just not following and we've made a deal with Brighton who issue said Credit Cards.

:greengrin

Haymaker
07-05-2021, 01:24 AM

I grew up within easy distance of Brighton, went as an away fan to a game or two at the old stadium. Barely any fans in attendance and I never met a Brighton fan.

I DO however know/grew up with a bunch of people who support other teams (arsenal mostly) who have season tickets at the new stadium. Its cheaper and easier than going to the London teams and it is still the PL.

My Palace supporting friends agree that they never saw so many Brighton fans at games until they built the new stadium!

That said, a few friends work for the club in the youth department and I sent a couple kids that way when I lived in England. Good set up and decent coaches.

Peevemor
07-05-2021, 05:28 AM
That said, a few friends work for the club in the youth department and I sent a couple kids that way when I love in England. Good set up and decent coaches.

:hyper

Haymaker
07-05-2021, 03:13 PM
:hyper

Damn autocorrect :greengrin

Inconsequential
07-05-2021, 04:29 PM
I would just like to add I have a friend in Brighton. He supports Partick Thistle and Crystal Palace. Don't ask.

Lago
07-05-2021, 04:37 PM
Have to agree, over the years various proposed link up, partnership, call it what you like, just seem to fade away.

Sean1875
17-05-2021, 02:40 PM
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/hibernian-confirm-brighton-partnership

Confirmed.

King Cosell
17-05-2021, 03:07 PM
Brighton's 2018/19 green away shirt is well smart. Nike, American Express sponsor.

Brightside
17-05-2021, 03:09 PM
Fat Boy Slim to open up our new stadium.

WhileTheChief..
17-05-2021, 03:15 PM
Cracking pic of ER on the Brighton website….

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2146415/albion-confirm-hibernian-partnership

Ozyhibby
17-05-2021, 03:27 PM
This is a partnership I can see potential benefits from that I don’t see with the American club.
It’s possible that young (or even more senior) players at Brighton could come on loan to Hibs and also it may benefit Hibs to loan players such as Doig and Porteous to Brighton to see if they are ready for the step up. If they do well in the EPL, their value rises massively. Brighton send a kid up here and he manages to break into our side then it’s good for Brighton. Win win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since452
17-05-2021, 03:30 PM
If it helps attract young players to Hibs over the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts then i'm all for it. Good for them to see a clear pathway to the EPL.

Since90+2
17-05-2021, 03:39 PM
If it helps attract young players to Hibs over the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts then i'm all for it. Good for them to see a clear pathway to the EPL.

Hopefully Brighton can stay a Premier League team which is by no means a certainty.

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2021, 03:43 PM
Hopefully Brighton can stay a Premier League team which is by no means a certainty.

Brighton have probably been the most unlucky side in England this season. They have consistently played well, being really positive in a lot of areas in terms of stats like xG. Now, obviously these things must be taken with a pinch of salt, only stat that matters is the score etc. but if Brighton play as well next season as they have this, they should be sitting comfortably mid table. Potter is a very good manager.

They dont score enough, but look at their goal difference compared to those above and below them. A decent striker grabbing 10 goals for this next season has them right up the league.

Billy Whizz
17-05-2021, 03:44 PM

They look fine to me

Since90+2
17-05-2021, 03:51 PM
They look fine to me

They are decent but I'd say there's about a 50/50 chance they are relegated in next 2 or 3 seasons.

Billy Whizz
17-05-2021, 03:56 PM
They are decent but I'd say there's about a 50/50 chance they are relegated in next 2 or 3 seasons.

Sorry I meant fine this season

JimBHibees
17-05-2021, 04:22 PM

Personally think they will only get better under Potter. They really should be much safer than they are this season based on performances

DIXIHIBS
17-05-2021, 04:23 PM
Wee pre-season trip down to Brighton could be fun.

Billy Whizz
17-05-2021, 04:40 PM
Wee pre-season trip down to Brighton could be fun.

It’s an easy place to get too, via train at Gatwick airport

Lago
17-05-2021, 06:04 PM
I'm struggling to see what the benefits are for Brighton.

Magpie
17-05-2021, 06:09 PM
Personally think they will only get better under Potter. They really should be much safer than they are this season based on performances

Unless Potter goes to Spurs.

Magpie
17-05-2021, 06:11 PM

Some of their fringe or younger players coming to us on loan and potentially playing regular football in a competitive league as well as in Europe?

Billy Whizz
17-05-2021, 06:18 PM
Unless Potter goes to Spurs.

Levein?

Magpie
17-05-2021, 06:20 PM
Levein?

Levein and Spurs both like to avoid trophies so it could be a match made in heaven.

Dmas
17-05-2021, 06:22 PM

They struggle to find quality up front with the budget they have create a lot of chances for a team at the bottom end of the league if they had a couple of quality finishers they’d be safe IMO

hhibs
17-05-2021, 06:57 PM

Indeed,like all major supermarkets,travel sites,Amazon, Ebay, Wetherspoons, Paypal et al...................oh wait,they do !!!:greengrin

Hmm,your partner is telling you it is accepted nowhere,strange that,short arms and deep packets ?

Bristolhibby
17-05-2021, 07:06 PM

Right on get to farm their talented kids out to us. We get said talented kids.

Our kids play a season in the Brighton academy and vice versa.

Can share marketing and development strategies. Hell, even grounds keeping and match day experience tips.

J

17-05-2021, 08:02 PM
Hope it works out to be a beneficial partnership. Probably couldn't have picked a further away Premiership team, 16 hour round trip for anyone planning a jolly boys' outing.

JimBHibees
17-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Hope it works out to be a beneficial partnership. Probably couldn't have picked a further away Premiership team, 16 hour round trip for anyone planning a jolly boys' outing.

Cheap flight to Gatwick then train.

NAE NOOKIE
17-05-2021, 10:16 PM
Cheap flight to Gatwick then train.

What no direct flights, what sort of a tinpot dump is this :greengrin

Torto7
17-05-2021, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure we'll see too many first team loans from this. They have a link with Coventry and sent two of their better prospects there and another lad at Preston. Talk of Caicedo etc seems fanciful to me. The U23's at that level are pretty hit and miss when it comes to mens first team football. We'll see though.

Is It On....
18-05-2021, 12:33 PM
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/hibernian-confirm-brighton-partnership

Confirmed.

The Brighton owner, Tony Bloom, has made his fortune from sports gambling. They are reputed to be "data heavy" when analysing potential transfer targets. If Hibs get access to their data room it can only further enhance our player recruitment process and could move us to another level.

Mick O'Rourke
18-05-2021, 01:15 PM
The Brighton owner, Tony Bloom, has made his fortune from sports gambling. They are reputed to be "data heavy" when analysing potential transfer targets. If Hibs get access to their data room it can only further enhance our player recruitment process and could move us to another level.

"Data rooms","recruitment processes" !!
Am getting old !
Changed days .
I mind our local newsagent/postmaster in Parkgrove did a bit of scouting.
Scouted Jimmy O' and some other Hibs/hertz players back then.

Older fans will remember the late great Evening News sportswriter Stewart Brown ( a Hibee)
He did the same.
Outcome likely the same
Some progress,some do not.

jacomo
18-05-2021, 03:41 PM
Am getting old !
Changed days .

Older fans will remember the late great Evening News sportswriter Stewart Brown ( a Hibee)
He did the same.
Outcome likely the same

Brighton should probably concentrate a little harder on that ‘goal scorer’ metric.

They’ve played some nice stuff this season but simply don’t score enough goals.

Mick O'Rourke
18-05-2021, 03:59 PM
Brighton should probably concentrate a little harder on that ‘goal scorer’ metric.

They’ve played some nice stuff this season but simply don’t score enough goals.

So i have been reading re style of football they play.
I guess a lot of teams suffer the same .....Last third of the pitch
Every time we seem to get that right..... the players are off to pastures new!!

If there are to be a couple of players come to ER on loan
i hope one is on fire, as the other delivers!!

CropleyWasGod
19-05-2021, 07:32 AM
Am getting old !
Changed days .

He did the same.
Outcome likely the same

Davie Johnstone the scout?

Hibbyradge
19-05-2021, 08:17 AM
Am getting old !
Changed days .

He did the same.
Outcome likely the same

Jimmy O'Rourke signed as a schoolboy.

I think clubs are looking a bit further afield than the Gyle playing fields these days! :greengrin

Since452
19-05-2021, 08:20 AM

Sounds a bit like when Romanov used to sign players based on a "football manager" style points system.

Hibbyradge
19-05-2021, 08:24 AM
Sounds a bit like when Romanov used to sign players based on a "football manager" style points system.

We'll remembered, but I don't think it was football manager style. It was full blown football manager! :hilarious

Fortunately, Brighton's systems are damn sight more sophisticated than that.

Have you never seen the film Moneyball? I highly recommend it.

Since452
19-05-2021, 08:30 AM
We'll remembered, but I don't think it was football manager style. It was full blown football manager! :hilarious

Fortunately, Brighton's systems are damn sight more sophisticated than that.

Have you never seen the film Moneyball? I highly recommend it.

I've not actually but it's been on my to watch list for ages. Maybe watch it on Friday night to calm the cup final nerves!

Mick O'Rourke
19-05-2021, 08:56 AM
Davie Johnstone the scout?

Aye I did a sunday paper round for Davie

MagicSwirlingShip
19-05-2021, 09:01 AM
Nice place Brighton.

Pre season friendly would be ideal. Hopefully around the weekend of the 23rd of July so we can catch Carl Cox on the beach :cb:not worth

Mick O'Rourke
19-05-2021, 09:05 AM
Jimmy O'Rourke signed as a schoolboy.

I think clubs are looking a bit further afield than the Gyle playing fields these days! :greengrin

Well both Jimmy and Pat were spotted playing on school playing fields.!!
Most, if not all of our youth/academy players would have first been spotted by guys like i mentioned earlier playing on public parks with school or youth club.
But i get your point.
Hope the link up with Albion bears fruit.

Hibbyradge
19-05-2021, 09:38 AM
Well both Jimmy and Pat were spotted playing on school playing fields.!!
Most, if not all of our youth/academy players would have first been spotted by guys like i mentioned earlier playing on public parks with school or youth club.
But i get your point.
Hope the link up with Albion bears fruit.

I know, Mick. Holy Cross had a good team in those days.

The pool of potential players is global now, particularly for EPL teams, but local scouts still have a role.

Onceinawhile
19-05-2021, 09:44 AM
Brighton's record since the partnership started :100%

Before that? Not 100%

Coincidence?

Hibbyradge
19-05-2021, 09:53 AM
Brighton's record since the partnership started :100%

Before that? Not 100%

Coincidence?

Hibs record since it started?

Meh.

Onceinawhile
19-05-2021, 10:02 AM
Hibs record since it started?

Meh.

We've not played yet.

So Brighton won their first game after it. Hopefully we do too.

Brighton Hibee
19-05-2021, 10:59 AM
We've not played yet.

So Brighton won their first game after it. Hopefully we do too.

Defo. It was great. Looking forward to next season already!

JimBHibees
19-05-2021, 11:05 AM
Defo. It was great. Looking forward to next season already!

Brilliant result good to see Pep getting annoyed at the end always a patronising winner not so good when his galaticos lose. Brilliant performance. Is Potter there for the long haul or do you think he will attract interest?

Is It On....
19-05-2021, 11:39 AM

A rumoured £1bn+ fortune made from sports betting would suggest he employs a slightly more sophisticated strategy to analysing data than Romanov. 😂

Hibbyradge
19-05-2021, 11:42 AM
We've not played yet.

Exactly. Meh! :wink:

Brighton Hibee
19-05-2021, 11:47 AM
Brilliant result good to see Pep getting annoyed at the end always a patronising winner not so good when his galaticos lose. Brilliant performance. Is Potter there for the long haul or do you think he will attract interest?

We gave him a six-year contract after 13 games! Love what he's doing. He has a degree in emotional intelligence and is a very clever bloke.

Guardiola is a very sore loser.

JimBHibees
19-05-2021, 01:22 PM
We gave him a six-year contract after 13 games! Love what he's doing. He has a degree in emotional intelligence and is a very clever bloke.

Guardiola is a very sore loser.

Yes did amazingly in Sweden and very interesting some of the techniques he used. I see Billy Reid ex Hamilton manager is his assistant and has been for a few years. His teams are very good to watch that is for sure. I see Guardiola called him the best English coach in the world to be honest he probably isn't far off with that.

oneone73
19-05-2021, 01:51 PM
Any Brighton players going to the Euros, out of interest?

CapitalGreen
19-05-2021, 02:05 PM
Any Brighton players going to the Euros, out of interest?

Veltman - Netherlands
Trossard - Belgium
Moder - Poland

oneone73
19-05-2021, 02:17 PM
Veltman - Netherlands
Trossard - Belgium
Moder - Poland

Ta

Billy Whizz
19-05-2021, 02:18 PM
Veltman - Netherlands
Trossard - Belgium
Moder - Poland

Ta, probably because I don’t watch much English football, but I’ve never heard of any of them
Are they 1st picks?

MWHIBBIES
19-05-2021, 02:34 PM
Ta, probably because I don’t watch much English football, but I’ve never heard of any of them
Are they 1st picks?

Veltman has had a great season, but unlikely to start because Holland have 2 top players at CB, even with van dijk out.

Trossard probably a backup for Hazard.