PDA

View Full Version : Why do Hibs go with a smaller squad?

Hibs90
01-05-2021, 04:13 PM
I believe it's the clubs choice...and even then we have Allan, Mallan, Gullan out on loan who could have offered something today.

Looked at the bench today and it is really weak in an attacking sense.

I don't understand.

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2021, 04:20 PM
Calculated risk based on smaller budget. Today it backfired. Over the season, it has worked. Win Cup and its our best season since 50s

Still think we'll get 3rd. Rangers will beat Aberdeen.

Alfred E Newman
01-05-2021, 04:30 PM
The lack of cover for the strikers was always going to come back to haunt us.
Just imagine what sort of line up we would have put out if Doidge got injured as well as Nisbet.

Hibs90
01-05-2021, 04:36 PM
Calculated risk based on smaller budget. Today it backfired. Over the season, it has worked. Win Cup and its our best season since 50s

Sending/agreeing to the guys going out on loan from a team perspective was an absolutely ridiculous decision.

I hope your right but I just don't see it happening with the current manager in charge.

flash
01-05-2021, 04:40 PM
Not having a third striker when we play two up front is a ridiculously bad piece of judgement.
Our only option then is to move Boyle from a position he is far more effective in not to mention the fact he either scores or creates about half our goals.

The Harp Awakes
01-05-2021, 04:44 PM
Sending/agreeing to the guys going out on loan from a team perspective was an absolutely ridiculous decision.

I hope your right but I just don't see it happening with the current manager in charge.

Looks that way. Behind in a very important game and needing some inspiration and an attacking threat from the bench and there's nothing there. Bringing on Halberg and Stevenson is never going to give you that.

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2021, 04:58 PM

What, so we sack him?

Lago
01-05-2021, 04:59 PM
I believe it's the clubs choice...and even then we have Allan, Mallan, Gullan out on loan who could have offered something today.

I don't understand.
Money it's all Hibs can afford

hibbydog
01-05-2021, 05:17 PM
Looks that way. Behind in a very important game and needing some inspiration and an attacking threat from the bench and there's nothing there. Bringing on Halberg and Stevenson is never going to give you that.

I agree and I had the same worry last week when the chips were down against Motherwell.

Can we recall any of them?

Hibs90
01-05-2021, 05:34 PM
What, so we sack him?

If we lose 3rd place and our 3rd semi-final of the season then yes he should go IMO.

Get both and he can stay for as long as he likes as far as I'm concerned. :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
01-05-2021, 05:39 PM
Not having a third striker when we play two up front is a ridiculously bad piece of judgement.
Our only option then is to move Boyle from a position he is far more effective in not to mention the fact he either scores or creates about half our goals.

Agreed. Losing Nisbet is more than 1 player - changes the dynamics of the team, removing our width, pace and creativity.

A Hi-Bee
01-05-2021, 05:43 PM
it is simple economics we dont have too much of the cash required to put out a real quality team that would be good and consistant, we dont live in that world.

Hibs90
01-05-2021, 05:49 PM
it is simple economics we dont have too much of the cash required to put out a real quality team that would be good and consistant, we dont live in that world.

Which is fair enough, if the money isn't there nothing you can do.

In which case why on earth did we agree or send players out on loan? Absolutely baffling.

A Hi-Bee
01-05-2021, 05:55 PM
Which is fair enough, if the money isn't there nothing you can do.

In which case why on earth did we agree or send players out on loan? Absolutely baffling.

i believe when we send players out on loan we cut the cost of keeping that player as the club he is going to will be paying a fair wack of his wages, so Hibs save money with the player not being fully paid by Hibs. again it is just business and a lack of real cash during very tough times.

Alfred E Newman
01-05-2021, 06:03 PM

Yet poorly supported St Johnstone with a much lower budget than are able to change 7 players and still grind out a win against us.
It's not all about money.
Maybe if Ross hadn't spent spent a big chunk of the budget overloading us with injury prone and fairly ordinary midfield players we could have had a better balanced squad.

A Hi-Bee
01-05-2021, 06:11 PM
Yet poorly supported St Johnstone with a much lower budget than are able to change 7 players and still grind out a win against us.
It's not all about money.
Maybe if Ross hadn't spent spent a big chunk of the budget overloading us with injury prone and fairly ordinary midfield players we could have had a better balanced squad.

i was not talking about turning out teams that grind out a result, I was talking about a team with real quality players in it, St j do not have such a team. And we do not have such a team.

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2021, 08:19 PM
If we lose 3rd place and our 3rd semi-final of the season then yes he should go IMO.

Get both and he can stay for as long as he likes as far as I'm concerned. :wink:

Which is pretty eye-opening no? Like, all his hard work, all his good signings, all the good results, all the bad ones etc all crumbles with a bad refereeing decision or a screamer from an opposition player.

A case could certainly be made for sacking him, but it wouldn't happen. 3rd place and 2 semi finals is a good season for Hibs. It always will be.

J-C
01-05-2021, 08:23 PM
i believe when we send players out on loan we cut the cost of keeping that player as the club he is going to will be paying a fair wack of his wages, so Hibs save money with the player not being fully paid by Hibs. again it is just business and a lack of real cash during very tough times.

Nonsense.

Mallan went to Turkey because he wanted playing time, Gullan to Raith for the same reason and Allan has just came back from a very serious heart condition and needs playing time to get his fitness back, all 3 nothing to do with money as they were part of the original squad at the beginning of the season.

hhibs
01-05-2021, 09:05 PM
Nonsense.

Mallan went to Turkey because he wanted playing time, Gullan to Raith for the same reason and Allan has just came back from a very serious heart condition and needs playing time to get his fitness back, all 3 nothing to do with money as they were part of the original squad at the beginning of the season.

The Gullan move seemed a good one potentially for him,but always looked potentially bad for Hibs.

Northernhibee
01-05-2021, 09:09 PM
We seem to be ignoring that at this stage of his development Gullan was completely ineffectual this season in the top flight.

Hibs90
01-05-2021, 09:19 PM
We seem to be ignoring that at this stage of his development Gullan was completely ineffectual this season in the top flight.

I agree but we still never replace him in terms of an option off the bench.

Danderhall Hibs
01-05-2021, 09:24 PM

How many games did he play and how many did he start? I genuinely can’t remember - he did come off the bench a few times for the last 5-10 mins but I can’t remember him getting much more than that.

Brightside
01-05-2021, 09:25 PM

I don't understand.

Budget.

wookie70
01-05-2021, 09:29 PM
The risk to go with two strikers with Boyle as a stand in looked stupid but we have largely got away with it with one or more of the three chipping in with goals throughout the season. All it takes is an injury though and we look ridiculously short. Hopefully Nisbet is back in next week or the decision may yet have a massive effect on our season.

An earlier poster nailed it for me. We have spent quite a bit of the budget on midfielders. Some has been very well spent in terms of Gogic and some poorly spent in terms of Wright, Murphy. Irvine and to a lesser extent Cadden. We still don't really have cover if Gogic is out and given Murphy has been injury prone for a while we don't have much cover on the left. To me we are still buying players rather than building a squad. If St Johnstone can field 7 players who don't regularly start and look efficient and well organised then it is hard to believe we struggle to fill a bench with subs.

Ross had to rebuild and he has made a decent start. Tough choices need to be made next year and hopefully we finish strong and get a nice big budget so we can have quantity, quality and balance.

ancient hibee
01-05-2021, 09:30 PM
We have gone with a small squad -fair enough-but we have brought in too many players who are contributing very little. A bad combination.

147lothian
01-05-2021, 10:47 PM
Why was Nisbet not even in the squad today? Is it an injury? Is he expected to return for next Saturday?

Alfred E Newman
02-05-2021, 08:56 AM
We have gone with a small squad -fair enough-but we have brought in too many players who are contributing very little. A bad combination.
:agree:

A good squad should have reasonable cover for all the positions. We don’t. We are ok at the back, over loaded in midfield and short up front.
You are the same generation as me AH and will remember when your injured centre forward was usually replaced by the reserve striker , the winger by another winger and so on.
Yesterday we had the ridiculous situation where our most influential player in recent weeks was moved to the middle to cover for Nisbet and was totally ineffective and the rest of the reshuffle was a mess with players looking as if they didn’t know what their exact role was.

ancient hibee
02-05-2021, 09:02 AM
:agree:

A good squad should have reasonable cover for all the positions. We don’t. We are ok at the back, over loaded in midfield and short up front.
You are the same generation as me AH and will remember when your injured centre forward was usually replaced by the reserve striker , the winger by another winger and so on.
Yesterday we had the ridiculous situation where our most influential player in recent weeks was moved to the middle to cover for Nisbet and was totally ineffective and the rest of the reshuffle was a mess with players looking as if they didn’t know what their exact role was.

So many midfielders but a failure to have a comfortable balance there.

LeithMike
02-05-2021, 09:18 AM
Win Cup and its our best season since 50s

I think a lot of our problems as fans and patience with the manager and fans stem from this narrow view of looking at results. If we are going to be objective we need to look beyond results, trophies, league positions,etc.

Looking over the course of this season, I think Hibs have played in fits and starts. Good for a handful games and then poor for two or three. For my point of view, I don't think there is a massive difference between Hibs and the rest and Aberdeen have definitely come back to the pack. There is a huge gulf between Hibs and the old firm though.. Taking that into account, I think a cup win and 3rd position would flatter this team who are pretty middle of the road. We've a potent strikeforce but a fairly slow and pedestrian midfield and rely heavily on Boyle to beat teams.

In my time following Hibs, I'd place the 2017-18 team up there as the best despite no silverware and finishing 4th. We were capable of dominating any team in the league. Next up would be the McLeish and Mowbray sides - again which won no silverware but were very competitive. Despite the 2015-16 cup win (best ever footballing moment) that team wasn't the greatest and I often felt it lacked width and balance.

So, as great as it would be to win the cup and finish 3rd, we shouldn't be fooled into thinking this team is a great team. It's not clear how successful Glass will be next season with Aberdeen but I expect them and Hearts to invest significantly and really challenge for 3rd. Hibs have a lot work to do and we shouldn't be fooled by our lofty position into thinking we're now better than the rest. Its clearly still a work in progress and could go either way.

As fans, its good to look beyond results. This board often swings back to and fro about Jack Ross with our results when truth is we're a pretty middle of the road side - but one which looks to be improving. Let's hope that continues.

PS - have been on the fence about Griffiths coming back but think we need a spark like that.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hibs90
02-05-2021, 09:56 AM
Which is pretty eye-opening no? Like, all his hard work, all his good signings, all the good results, all the bad ones etc all crumbles with a bad refereeing decision or a screamer from an opposition player.

A case could certainly be made for sacking him, but it wouldn't happen. 3rd place and 2 semi finals is a good season for Hibs. It always will be.

It shouldn't be accepted, we should aim higher, specifically when you look at the context of the season and who was left in the cups. There is no reason why we can't achieve more in this respect.

Eyrie
02-05-2021, 10:00 AM
It shouldn't be accepted, we should aim higher, specifically when you look at the context of the season and who was left in the cups. There is no reason why we can't achieve more in this respect.

No one is "accepting" it, but some of us are more realistic and less entitled than others when considering what might happen.

If your opinion (and the others with similar views) is so strong on the matter, then presumably you (and they) have put substantial bets on Hibs to win the Cup. Because anything else is accepting a lack of ambition.

Peevemor
02-05-2021, 10:07 AM
It shouldn't be accepted, we should aim higher, specifically when you look at the context of the season and who was left in the cups. There is no reason why we can't achieve more in this respect.So how do we not accept it? Sack Jack Ross?

Who do we then replace him with? Callum Davidson (since he "continually gets the better of Ross")?

And people moan about our current style of football? Jesus!

Another point I've seen a lot about yesterday is that it was St Johnstone's second string. They didn't change their defence and, apart from their loan striker, set out to do nothing other than stifle us.

Porto gifted them the game (imagine the carnage had he been a Ross signing!) and apart from that, the only thing they were better at was spoiling the match.

MWHIBBIES
02-05-2021, 10:14 AM

Fine, dont accept it. What changes if you don't?

3rd and 2 semi finals is a good season. So, so far its been a good season. Potential for it to be an excellent one. If we consistently go into this stage of the season with so much to play for, we will win things and get into Europe.

Hibs90
02-05-2021, 10:29 AM
No one is "accepting" it, but some of us are more realistic and less entitled than others when considering what might happen.

If your opinion (and the others with similar views) is so strong on the matter, then presumably you (and they) have put substantial bets on Hibs to win the Cup. Because anything else is accepting a lack of ambition.

What are you talking about?

So how do we not accept it? Sack Jack Ross?

Who do we then replace him with? Callum Davidson (since he "continually gets the better of Ross")?

And people moan about our current style of football? Jesus!

Another point I've seen a lot about yesterday is that it was St Johnstone's second string. They didn't change their defence and, apart from their loan striker, set out to do nothing other than stifle us.

Porto gifted them the game (imagine the carnage had he been a Ross signing!) and apart from that, the only thing they were better at was spoiling the match.

Ultimately yes if it was up to me I'd sack him in that scenario. Do I think Hibs would? No. What can I do about it? Probably not a lot but I am entitled to express my opinion. 3 cup semi final defeats and dropping out of 3rd place from a 7 point gap (potentially) would be inexcusable in my eyes , again, within the context of the season and who was left in the cups. On the flip side, if we secure third and go on to win the cup I'd love nothing more. There is nothing wrong with being ambitious.

Thankfully it's not up to me to replace him, its the go to line for the defence when someone says a manager should be sacked. Again, not my decision.

Fine, dont accept it. What changes if you don't?

3rd and 2 semi finals is a good season. So, so far its been a good season. Potential for it to be an excellent one. If we consistently go into this stage of the season with so much to play for, we will win things and get into Europe.

Probably nothing. Me as an individual not accepting it won't change anything. I don't have any major influence at ER I'm afraid :greengrin

I don't think that's a good season when you look at who was left in the cups. In the league sure, you'd take 3rd place every single time.

MWHIBBIES
02-05-2021, 10:32 AM
Probably nothing. Me as an individual not accepting it won't change anything. I don't have any major influence at ER I'm afraid :greengrin

I don't think that's a good season when you look at who was left in the cups. In the league sure, you'd take 3rd place every single time.

Look back at history. You can debate it all you like. It is a good season for Hibernian.

Key West
02-05-2021, 10:36 AM
Look back at history. You can debate it all you like. It is a good season for Hibernian.

Could have been better though with a stronger bench, Allan, Mallan and Gullan regardless of how you rate them would have given us decent options.

Hibs90
02-05-2021, 10:37 AM

I know the history. Just because of our history that doesn't make it a good season. In your opinion it's a good season, in mine it wouldn't be, it would be a season of missed opportunity.

Let's hope that we win the cup and secure 3rd and we spare each other a summer of debates on the issue :aok:

MWHIBBIES
02-05-2021, 10:40 AM
Could have been better though with a stronger bench, Allan, Mallan and Gullan regardless of how you rate them would have given us decent options.

Allan yes, without doubt. But he had to go on loan.

Mallan, no, I disagree. Should be moved on and better brought in.

Gullan, literally wasn't getting a game and would only start if Doidge/Nisbet injured.

We took the risk to loan them out. Would they have changed the game yesterday? No idea. Cant say either way.

Andy74
02-05-2021, 10:42 AM

We probably should have expected some injuries even in the last few games we had left at the end of the window but we are a bit unfortunate to be missing creative players like Cadden, Murphy then Nisbet.

Key West
02-05-2021, 10:58 AM
Allan yes, without doubt. But he had to go on loan.

Mallan, no, I disagree. Should be moved on and better brought in.

Gullan, literally wasn't getting a game and would only start if Doidge/Nisbet injured.

We took the risk to loan them out. Would they have changed the game yesterday? No idea. Cant say either way.

Agree they wouldn’t have been first picks but coming off the bench would have been better options ( in theory at least ).

Dr What If?
02-05-2021, 10:58 AM
My reading of this season, particularly with the signings, is that we were preparing for 21/22, not 20/21. I don't think Ross has made a single bad signing but few were expected to be up and running from the moment they came in.....Magennis, Cadden, Irvine, Murphy all lacking game time and Nisbet making a big step up. I think Ross was looking at these players bedding in over the year, get to know their team and get the time on the park before they are up to full speed. Wright and Gogic being the exceptions.....Wright unfortunately has failed to deliver on his previous seasons form but looked a good addition on paper.
Given that, this seasons success will have been very welcome, given the progress we have seen from last year it is very encouraging.
Pretty sure Ross would also have brought in another striker if opportunity and budget had allowed.....pretty sure that will high on his wish list.

Key West
02-05-2021, 11:01 AM
We probably should have expected some injuries even in the last few games we had left at the end of the window but we are a bit unfortunate to be missing creative players like Cadden, Murphy then Nisbet.

Difficult with hindsight to have seen these players being out at a crucial time, we’ll see what happens.

Unseen work
02-05-2021, 11:02 AM
I’m going to give the club the benefit of the doubt for this one.

We’ve spent money on players, bought players that would command a big wage and rejected several bids for our top players.

We’re in the middle of a pandemic and have been for 1 year.

If the club decide we need to have a smaller squad so be it. Even though by the sounds of it, Allan and Mallan took the decision to leave.

The Modfather
02-05-2021, 11:28 AM
I think a lot of our problems as fans and patience with the manager and fans stem from this narrow view of looking at results. If we are going to be objective we need to look beyond results, trophies, league positions,etc.

Looking over the course of this season, I think Hibs have played in fits and starts. Good for a handful games and then poor for two or three. For my point of view, I don't think there is a massive difference between Hibs and the rest and Aberdeen have definitely come back to the pack. There is a huge gulf between Hibs and the old firm though.. Taking that into account, I think a cup win and 3rd position would flatter this team who are pretty middle of the road. We've a potent strikeforce but a fairly slow and pedestrian midfield and rely heavily on Boyle to beat teams.

In my time following Hibs, I'd place the 2017-18 team up there as the best despite no silverware and finishing 4th. We were capable of dominating any team in the league. Next up would be the McLeish and Mowbray sides - again which won no silverware but were very competitive. Despite the 2015-16 cup win (best ever footballing moment) that team wasn't the greatest and I often felt it lacked width and balance.

So, as great as it would be to win the cup and finish 3rd, we shouldn't be fooled into thinking this team is a great team. It's not clear how successful Glass will be next season with Aberdeen but I expect them and Hearts to invest significantly and really challenge for 3rd. Hibs have a lot work to do and we shouldn't be fooled by our lofty position into thinking we're now better than the rest. Its clearly still a work in progress and could go either way.

As fans, its good to look beyond results. This board often swings back to and fro about Jack Ross with our results when truth is we're a pretty middle of the road side - but one which looks to be improving. Let's hope that continues.

PS - have been on the fence about Griffiths coming back but think we need a spark like that.

Great post. I think it articulates why some, myself included, are still to be convinced by Ross/this Hibs team whatever the metrics show on paper.

Key West
02-05-2021, 11:39 AM

Sensible perspective Aberdeen and Hearts will definitely seek reinforcements, at least this season we have seen the season going to the wire in terms of potential. I’ve a feeling that a player like Irvine could make the difference in the big games coming up.

Alfred E Newman
02-05-2021, 12:13 PM
Sensible perspective Aberdeen and Hearts will definitely seek reinforcements, at least this season we have seen the season going to the wire in terms of potential. I’ve a feeling that a player like Irvine could make the difference in the big games coming up.

If Irvine is going to make a difference he had better get a move on. We have only 3 or hopefully 4 games left.

Key West
02-05-2021, 12:24 PM
If Irvine is going to make a difference he had better get a move on. We have only 3 or hopefully 4 games left.

Was poor yesterday, he'll come good when it matters.

ancient hibee
02-05-2021, 12:31 PM
Was poor yesterday, he'll come good when it matters.

Yesterday mattered.

J-C
02-05-2021, 12:36 PM
Agree they wouldn’t have been first picks but coming off the bench would have been better options ( in theory at least ).

Mallan and Gullan went on loan because they didn't want to sit on the bench, Allan asked for loan because he missed a large amount of football and needed game time which he wasn't getting here. It's a tricky situation tbh, Gullan has shown good promise and really should've been loaned out at the start of the season, Mallan was our player of the year the season before but he had an injury which he struggled to get to the levels he had been at and we all know about Allan's recent health scare.

Going with a smaller squad is all well and good when the players not playing are capable of coming in and the team is still reasonably strong. Gray has sat on the bench all season and apart from the start of the season he's never played, McGregor has been decent cover when needed and showed he can still play a part if needed, Stevenson as we know is working closely with Doig and Mackie as he realises his career is coming to a close.

Of the rest we have the seemingly permanently injured Murphy, Wright who we now know was a poor signing, young Bradley who is very very raw, Hallberg who is decent and steady, Magennis still yet to show what he can do but for some reason Ross plays out wide on the flanks when he's a central midfielder.

Those 9 players don't fill you with confidence if we need game changers.

MagicSwirlingShip
02-05-2021, 12:39 PM
Interesting conversation. I fail to see how any of the players loaned out would have changed the outcome of the match yesterday though.

Brightside
02-05-2021, 01:37 PM
Interesting conversation. I fail to see how any of the players loaned out would have changed the outcome of the match yesterday though.

They wouldn’t.

Northernhibee
02-05-2021, 01:46 PM
How many games did he play and how many did he start? I genuinely can’t remember - he did come off the bench a few times for the last 5-10 mins but I can’t remember him getting much more than that.

He got that time as even when he got longer he didn’t show anything. He clearly has potential though so long term the best thing was to let him go out on loan.

Doidge, Nisbet and Boyle as options is fine for just now but would like to see another added for next season.

NAE NOOKIE
02-05-2021, 02:19 PM
As I'm sure others have said the idea was to have a smaller squad but packed full of quality providing fierce competition for starting places and a strong bench. The theory is a good one for a club with limited finances, but in our case the reality has landed us with little competition for places and a weak bench, as was all too evident on Saturday. Of all the recent signings we have made only Gogic has been a measurably successful one and only then because he does exactly what he was signed for well. To a lesser extent Irvine has done ok, but he needs to be far more dominant in games.

I'm not ignoring how well Nisbet has done, but look at what happens when he is out, we have sod all to replace him with apart from a promising young kid, meaning we have to remove our biggest threat out wide and play him as a striker. It's the same in central defence, the only option we have is Daz and after that would probably be looking to play McGinn at CH, McGinn's natural replacement would be SDG, but he has practically become a forgotten man, is he even fit to play?

You could say we have been unlucky with injuries with Allen, Cadden, Murphy and Magennis all out for lengthy spells, but that is a pitfall you have to take account of when going with a limited squad and it has hit us hard as far as midfield and width go.

One thing I would say, if Leigh Griffiths does become available we should absolutely push the boat out to get him. Not only is he the very man to get on the end of the countless balls we get across the box that none of our strikers seem capable of getting on the end of, or the few times they do of putting the bloody thing in the net, as we have all seen he is also absolutely capable of fashioning chances for himself and burying them .... we would be mental to miss the chance if he became available IMO.

jeffers
02-05-2021, 02:29 PM
They wouldn’t.

No one knows for sure, but I think Scott Allan would have offered more than Magennis did yesterday.

147lothian
02-05-2021, 02:44 PM
One thing is for sure if we do achieve a third place finish then it is a major coup, because it was done with a small squad, this augurs well for next season because it was done without breaking the bank probably understandably so given the circumstances with the pandemic.

ahibby
03-05-2021, 08:52 PM

We have had some horror performances at ER and considering thats where ST watch their games its not good for sales. If Hibs bottle 3rd and the semi then it wont be down to a defensive mistake or poor refereeing. Sunderland fans told us that we will see for ourselves why they wanted him to him to go. Its now looking like his teams might always just fail and produce too many nightmare home performances. On the other hand if he can guide them to a cup win then it might just be worth putting up with those atrocious home performances which will pop up in batches.