PDA

View Full Version : Porto

dastardly8
01-05-2021, 02:26 PM
How many times does this laddie do stupid things , McGregor was playing well and replaced by him , got a lot to learn if he is to progress as a decent defender

JXM73
01-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Yawn...

BobMilne
01-05-2021, 02:51 PM
Yawn...

You tired of his mistakes aye?

GGTTH07
01-05-2021, 02:58 PM
The boy is the reason we’re in the semi final next week with his last ditch tackle. The stick he gets is absolutely terrible and I for one look forward to him getting a move and having a right good career proving any doubters wrong.

Postiga
01-05-2021, 02:59 PM
I like porteous but you don’t play the ball across your own box. £2m... I’d take it!

SlickShoes
01-05-2021, 03:18 PM
He’s gave away 5 or 6 goals directly this season from individual errors. I’m not sure how anyone today can blame anyone but him. We aren’t playing well but St Johnstone haven’t created a single chance other than Porteous gift.

Since452
01-05-2021, 03:28 PM
Makes too many mistakes for me

marinello59
01-05-2021, 03:30 PM
How many times does this laddie do stupid things , McGregor was playing well and replaced by him , got a lot to learn if he is to progress as a decent defender

A reasonable person would wait until the game was over to judge his performance over the full 90 before sticking the boot in. Poor stuff.

nonshinyfinish
01-05-2021, 03:31 PM
A reasonable person

Are you new here?

Sir David Gray
01-05-2021, 03:38 PM
Makes too many mistakes for me

And me. Far too many mistakes in him in my opinion.

SlickShoes
01-05-2021, 03:39 PM
A reasonable person would wait until the game was over to judge his performance over the full 90 before sticking the boot in. Poor stuff.

The game has 0-0 written all over it, neither team has created a single chance other than what Ryan provided I think it’s completely fair to point this out.

SlickShoes
01-05-2021, 03:50 PM
90 minutes now, so am I allowed to say he cost us the game? Terrible game overall we played marginally better and created more chances. Ryan gifted them a goal, that was the difference.

Ozyhibby
01-05-2021, 03:54 PM
There is no doubt he has cost us the game again. His mistakes are far too common to be just written off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevie Reid
01-05-2021, 03:56 PM
He’ll have no complaints if he’s dropped for next week. Unbelievable error today, inexplicable and has really put the pressure on us now.

CMac1988
01-05-2021, 03:57 PM
The frustrating thing is that he was on a good run and has looked really good in recent months. In a game where neither team was able to gain an edge he was the difference in the worst way possible.

Hibs90
01-05-2021, 03:58 PM
If anyone has an actual figure for the amount of goals he has cost us with his mistakes then please post it.

I've stuck up for him in the past but starting to lose patience.

Lancs Harp
01-05-2021, 03:59 PM
Porto does continue to make too many errors but we had along time to turn this game around and made a very poor fist of it. Did anyone warrant even a 5 out of 10 today? We shouldnt be putting performances in like that at this stage of the season with whats at stake. If we're playing a blame game for today mines going to Mr Ross.

ancient hibee
01-05-2021, 04:03 PM
Dreadful error by a guy who's not learning as quickly as I'd hoped but still contributed more good things today than quite a few of the players on the park.

marinello59
01-05-2021, 04:03 PM
90 minutes now, so am I allowed to say he cost us the game? Terrible game overall we played marginally better and created more chances. Ryan gifted them a goal, that was the difference.

Anybody is entitled to their opinion at any time. Singling a player out for his own thread after only 26 minutes played ain’t for me though.
He gifted them the goal alright. But we had eleven better players on the park than them. Any creativity we had in out team didn’t show itself and I’d struggle to name one Hibs player who was more than flat today. That loss was down to more than just one stupid mistake.

SlickShoes
01-05-2021, 04:04 PM
Anybody is entitled to their opinion at any time. Singling a player out for his own thread after only 26 minutes played ain’t for me though.
He gifted them the goal alright. But we had eleven better players on the path then them. Any creativity we had in out team didn’t show itself and I’d struggle to name one Hibs player who was more than flat today. That loss was down to more than just one stupid mistake.

Factually incorrect, the mistake was the only difference.

bigwheel
01-05-2021, 04:05 PM
He gifted them the goal alright. But we had eleven better players on the path then them. Any creativity we had in out team didn’t show itself and I’d struggle to name one Hibs player who was more than flat today. That loss was down to more than just one stupid mistake.

Tbf to the poster , it’s possibly the single worst piece of defending we will see in years .....

stubru59
01-05-2021, 04:09 PM

Yip. Game is played over 90 min. We simply weren’t good enough. Looks like the run in will be the usual nerve wracking finish.

Baldy Foghorn
01-05-2021, 04:14 PM

Agree, poor team display

lord bunberry
01-05-2021, 04:19 PM
The guy is a class act, a rolls royce of a defender. Yes he makes the odd mistake, but so does every player. If you look at the big clubs around the world, their defenders make mistakes as well. Look at Stones at Man City or Maguire at Utd. The guy will go on to have a great career.

Pretty Boy
01-05-2021, 04:27 PM
I like Porteous but daft mistakes like that are still too common from him. He can do things that are absolutely superb and show the talent he has but he can also have total WTF moments like we witnessed today.

Every player makes mistakes but that is another costly one from him today. The 'he's just a young laddie' doesn't really wash anymore either. Over 100 1st team appearances now with 80+ of those coming for Hibs is beyond that threshold.

I'm certain he will go on to have a good career but in the here and now he still has a lot of improving to do, particularly around his concentration levels and decision making.

bigwheel
01-05-2021, 04:30 PM
The guy is a class act, a rolls royce of a defender. Yes he makes the odd mistake, but so does every player. If you look at the big clubs around the world, their defenders make mistakes as well. Look at Stones at Man City or Maguire at Utd. The guy will go on to have a great career.

I don’t seem him at that level. Quite far away at the moment- hope he gets there. As others have said, he’s not alone in the blame for today’s result. Poor team choice and many poor performances . His mistakes have been poor this season at times though - and today’s was a shocker .

Ozyhibby
01-05-2021, 04:31 PM
Yip. Game is played over 90 min. We simply weren’t good enough. Looks like the run in will be the usual nerve wracking finish.

Disagree, football is a low scoring game. When you have a player regularly giving away goals like that then you have a problem. That should have been 0-0 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnM1875
01-05-2021, 04:32 PM
The boy is a clear talent. But he is so mistake prone its a worry.

It isn't even specific to this season. His head goes at times. And I think that's harder to manage than being rash in the tackle which his previous issue.

Honestly not entirely sure why we dropped Daz after a string of good performances.

Real Emerald
01-05-2021, 04:32 PM
He’s still young and sometimes does rash thing that turn out to be great tackles, or he makes daft mistakes where we get punished. The rest of the team today hardly tried anything risky, back and sideways passing at strolling pace. He at least shows passion and will learn.

blackpoolhibs
01-05-2021, 04:33 PM
Porto has been in tremendous form recently, he's made a right bollox of it today though.

He's still a very good player, and for me we should stick with him.

Ray_
01-05-2021, 04:33 PM
I like Porteous but daft mistakes like that are still too common from him. He can do things that are absolutely superb and show the talent he has but he can also have total WTF moments like we witnessed today.

Every player makes mistakes but that is another costly one from him today. The 'he's just a young laddie' doesn't really wash anymore either. Over 100 1st team appearances now with 80+ of those coming for Hibs is beyond that threshold.

I'm certain he will go on to have a good career but in the here and now he still has a lot of improving to do, particularly around his concentration levels and decision making.

Reminds me of Stones, but he cost 50M and really seems to have got his career back on track now, so still hope. Much more disappointed in some of the senior players today, that was shocking stuff, particularly in the middle of the park and the lack of quality from wide positions.

Vault Boy
01-05-2021, 04:35 PM
Porto has been in tremendous form recently, he's made a right bollox of it today though.

Agree with every word.

danhibees1875
01-05-2021, 05:24 PM
Probably a good thing he has a wee oopsie the weekend before the semi, will help focus him a bit more.

He's a good player.

JimBHibees
01-05-2021, 05:26 PM

Yep think he has been excellent recently as thought Motherwell was his best game for Hibs.very poor error and no idea what he was trying to do. One of our best players.

Lancs Harp
01-05-2021, 05:28 PM
To be honest I thought we looked more secure at the back when he was left out for a while earlier in the season and Daz played in his place for a few games. I'd be tempted t go back to the old school of Hanlon and Big Mac for the run in. Just a "safer" more secure option IMO.

Heisenberg
01-05-2021, 05:30 PM
He doesn’t deserve dropped on the back of one mistake. Been very good recently. McGregor did well for a couple of matches but was badly found out at home vs Motherwell and was rightly hooked. Same back three for the rest of the season for me. Midfield was our problem area today, absolutely nothing in there at all.

flash
01-05-2021, 05:38 PM
He made a horrific error today but there's no danger he doesn't get in our best 11.
Prior to today he has been excellent over a number of games.

Baldy Foghorn
01-05-2021, 05:39 PM
He made a horrific error today but there's no danger he doesn't get in our best 11.

:agree::agree:

marinello59
01-05-2021, 05:41 PM

:agree:

CMurdoch
01-05-2021, 05:46 PM
Has all the tools but concentration and decision making are still the gaps in his portfolio.
He has played brilliantly and error free for the last month.
However, I think he gets affected adversely by too much praise and starts to believe the hype and loses his focus like today.
A similar thing happened after the game against Rangers when folk were blowing smoke up his butt for rattling the Rangers players and Gerrard. It was noticeable he believed that rubbish and lost his focus for a while.
He needs to be humble to retain his focus and concentration.
Don't believe the hype Ryan!

Fortunately, that will be him back on the straight and narrow after todays fright.

WTF to do with the midfield for the next 3 weeks is a bigger issue!

Keith_M
01-05-2021, 05:52 PM
Tbf to the poster , it’s possibly the single worst piece of defending we will see in years .....

It's only a few years since I watched Stevenson do exactly the same against Rangers, funnily enough in the same area of the pitch.

He definitely did make a mistake and, like most other players, will make quite a few over the season.

Do we really want to write him off, though?

brianmc
01-05-2021, 05:53 PM
Has all the tools but concentration and decision making are still the gaps in his portfolio.
He has played brilliantly and error free for the last month.
However, I think he gets affected adversely by too much praise and starts to believe the hype and loses his focus like today.
A similar thing happened after the game against Rangers when folk were blowing smoke up his butt for rattling the Rangers players and Gerrard. It was noticeable he believed that rubbish and lost his focus for a while.
He needs to be humble and retain his focus and concentration.
Don't believe the hype.

I think you're 100% correct with that summary.

I like and rate Porto but he definitely has issues with the mental side of the game.

Lancs Harp
01-05-2021, 05:55 PM
It's only a few years since I watched Stevenson do exactly the same against Rangers, funnily enough in the same area of the pitch.

He definitely did make a mistake and, like most other players, will make quite a few over the season.

Do we really want o write him off, though?

Its not really writing him off Keith, its Saturday night on a message board after a very disappointing result and performance. people just kicking their thoughts about its what .net is all about really. We all have our opinions and tonight we are all disappointed.

Keith_M
01-05-2021, 05:58 PM
Its not really writing him off Keith, its Saturday night on a message board after a very disappointing result and performance. people just kicking their thoughts about its what .net is all about really. We all have our opinions and tonight we are all disappointed.

I agree, not everybody's doing that.

There have been a couple of posters that have said they'd be glad to see the back of him, but maybe that's just in the heat of the moment

bigwheel
01-05-2021, 05:58 PM

Do we really want to write him off, though?

Nobody has written him off ...people have merely commented on a horrible error ..everyone recognises he has a lot of talent

Hibby soldier
01-05-2021, 06:01 PM
yawn...
my only thought is you must be related to the bombscare.

A Hi-Bee
01-05-2021, 06:01 PM
Porto is one of the best young centre backs we have had in a great many years, perhaps back to Craig Paterson days and he was sold off fast enough as well, This young man will go onto great things as a player and will in my humble end up the captain of his country also Hibs if he was to stay long enough. He is still young and learning in a critical position when just like the goalie if he ****s up it can be a disaster he is still developing into the best centre half we have had in a long time and we will sell him on for much more than we will spend to bring in someone who will not be half as good.

h1bs4life
01-05-2021, 06:02 PM
Like Porto though every time there is good press about him it looks like it goes to his head .
He has the physique to get himself a move to the English Championship
, would like us to go out and get a couple of big no nonsense cente half's for next season.
St Johnstone play is built on being strong and powerful. at the back which showed again with Doidge and others getting no change from them
Expect him to go to down south at end of the season for £1.5 m - £2m with add ons .

Lancs Harp
01-05-2021, 06:14 PM
I live in England, can I ask does Porto enjoy a good reputation outside of the Hibs bubble up north? Thats a genuine question btw. When we are puling for him to be included in the latest Scotland squad for instance does the rest of Scotland share that view? Personally I dont think he's ready, some way off being ready if I'm honest.

Smartie
01-05-2021, 07:42 PM
We’ve had players with the “bombscare” tag before - notably Bamba and Ambrose. Those reputations were earned prior to joining Hibs and to be truthful, in a Hibs jersey there was very little justification for those reputations. Bamba especially was actually very dialled in, attentive and made few mistakes.

That individual mistake today was as bad as I’ve seen from a Hibs player. Big game, and against a side you cannot afford to be giving gifts to so they can sit back and defend. It was inexcusable.

Which would be fine if it was in isolation, but it’s not. He makes regular blunders which cost us goals, points, games and places in competitions. With defenders mistakes will be made and be punished, and when you play the number of games Hanlon or Stevenson have the number of examples will increase over the years but Porteous has made loads in only a short period of time.

I don’t think he’s any better now than he was when he broke into the team. He’s not calmer, any more composed or any less likely to make a major error that costs us the game. Yes, he has loads of great attributes and has the ability to put in a great performance if he fancies it (last week he was magnificent) but in his position you need to be consistent and dependable.

He needs to go this summer. I think he’s ridiculously over-rated and we probably stand to get a decent fee for him. I’d rather he played for someone else whilst he worked these mistakes out his system though and I don’t believe we’d see any fewer if he played for us next year. I think we’d be a better team with a more unglamorous, more dependable, bog standard SPFL player playing in his position than him. He’s hype and style over actual substance and we need better before we can start reasonably expecting to win home games against St Johnstone.

Whilst Ross will be getting grief tonight for the limp performance, I thought Porto sold the jerseys. We’ve had tight, nip and tuck games that we have edged a few times this season. It’s easy to criticise the style at times but ultimately if you don’t make mistakes, stay in games and have a bit of craft or guile to turn the game your way then you deserve to win. St Johnstone are dangerous because they very rarely make that type of mistake. That is part of why, in my opinion, Jason Kerr is many times a better player than Ryan Porteous is and probably ever will be.

easty
01-05-2021, 08:16 PM
We’ve had players with the “bombscare” tag before - notably Bamba and Ambrose. Those reputations were earned prior to joining Hibs and to be truthful, in a Hibs jersey there was very little justification for those reputations. Bamba especially was actually very dialled in, attentive and made few mistakes.

That individual mistake today was as bad as I’ve seen from a Hibs player. Big game, and against a side you cannot afford to be giving gifts to so they can sit back and defend. It was inexcusable.

Which would be fine if it was in isolation, but it’s not. He makes regular blunders which cost us goals, points, games and places in competitions. With defenders mistakes will be made and be punished, and when you play the number of games Hanlon or Stevenson have the number of examples will increase over the years but Porteous has made loads in only a short period of time.

I don’t think he’s any better now than he was when he broke into the team. He’s not calmer, any more composed or any less likely to make a major error that costs us the game. Yes, he has loads of great attributes and has the ability to put in a great performance if he fancies it (last week he was magnificent) but in his position you need to be consistent and dependable.

He needs to go this summer. I think he’s ridiculously over-rated and we probably stand to get a decent fee for him. I’d rather he played for someone else whilst he worked these mistakes out his system though and I don’t believe we’d see any fewer if he played for us next year. I think we’d be a better team with a more unglamorous, more dependable, bog standard SPFL player playing in his position than him. He’s hype and style over actual substance and we need better before we can start reasonably expecting to win home games against St Johnstone.

Whilst Ross will be getting grief tonight for the limp performance, I thought Porto sold the jerseys. We’ve had tight, nip and tuck games that we have edged a few times this season. It’s easy to criticise the style at times but ultimately if you don’t make mistakes, stay in games and have a bit of craft or guile to turn the game your way then you deserve to win. St Johnstone are dangerous because they very rarely make that type of mistake. That is part of why, in my opinion, Jason Kerr is many times a better player than Ryan Porteous is and probably ever will be.

Nah.

He’s quite clearly a better player now than when he broke into the team.

He’s also definitely a better player than Kerr. Which is why teams are being linked with > million pound moves for Porteous. Who’s after Kerr? Absolutely nobody. Us, maybe? It’s so standard of Hibs.net to slate our own but only see the best in other teams players. It’s ****ing *****.

Hiber-nation
01-05-2021, 08:18 PM
I've seen international centre backs from the likes of Man City, Arsenal and Villa make similar mistakes this season and they are still getting a game. He's been brilliant recently, he just needs to be a bit more aware.

calumhibee1
01-05-2021, 08:28 PM
He’s not half the player folk think he is imo.

A couple of posters on here ridiculed me for suggesting he should have went out on loan to learn his trade. He didn’t do it and he isn’t learning. He makes the same mistakes over and over and over again.

A decent player at our level. Nothing more, nothing less and he shouldn’t be playing ahead of McGregor imo. I don’t think he’s really improved much since he broke through. We need to be looking for better and if we’re lucky enough to get that without getting ripped off for his services then even better. He’s already 22 and should be far away better than the level he is.

If we got a large offer for him I’d take it and run. Stacks of better defenders at our level for the money we’d end up with.

Baldy Foghorn
01-05-2021, 08:30 PM
I've seen international centre backs from the likes of Man City, Arsenal and Villa make similar mistakes this season and they are still getting a game. He's been brilliant recently, he just needs to be a bit more aware.

Correct, big mistake, but been superb of late, it happens.

Baldy Foghorn
01-05-2021, 08:30 PM
Nah.

He’s also definitely a better player than Kerr. Which is why teams are being linked with > million pound moves for Porteous. Who’s after Kerr? Absolutely nobody. Us, maybe? It’s so standard of Hibs.net to slate our own but only see the best in other teams players. It’s ****ing *****.

:aok::flag:

LaMotta
01-05-2021, 08:39 PM
Porteous on his day is a fantastic centre half. Energy, aerial dominance, agression, tackling.

If he could iron out the errors you are looking at a top notch player.

For me today isn't his worst type of error. It's the one at home to Rangers and the one away at Ibrox when we lost both games one nil. His positional decision making those days wasnt good enough, hopefully that can improve.

Northernhibee
01-05-2021, 08:41 PM
If we got a large offer for him I’d take it and run. Stacks of better defenders at our level for the money we’d end up with.

Such as?

calumhibee1
01-05-2021, 08:46 PM
Such as?

If we could get the money we’d be rumoured to get for him?

I’d rather Hoban at Aberdeen and Kerr at St J for starters. Porteous is the weakest link in our back 4 imo. Not at the level of either full back or Hanlon. We looked a better side when Daz replaced him as well.

Smartie
01-05-2021, 08:58 PM
Nah.

I actually thought he was a very good player when he first broke into the team so it's a fairly high bar. Because he had just broken into the team he might have been being more careful but he certainly wasn't causing us to lose goals and drop points the way he has over the past 6 months or so.

If teams are watching him every week then they won't be wanting to part with millions for him to play at a higher level because as it stands, he's selling the jerseys every time he plays against moderately stuffy teams like St Johnstone and Livingston. Christ knows what he might do when actually being pressed into further mistakes by better players.

St Johnstone's whole gameplan is based around the reliability of players like Kerr. I reckon Ross is going for a similar approach, and it works when the likes of Porteous are having their good weeks, but it is being fatally undone when he is having days like today. It's just my opinion, and I don't see Kerr every week, but he looks every bit the type of player I'd want at the heart of our defence - although there is no way we could afford him. We're more likely to be forced to keep hold of Porteous if clubs look at the sort of schoolboy type of mistake he made today and decide he's just not worth the risk or the money.

As for the slating our own and seeing the best in other team's players - if Porteous wants to look somewhere for inspiration he could do a lot worse than look at Hanlon next to him. Hundreds of games, minimal number of gaffes over those hundreds. They happen from time to time and when they do they don't happen again for a while (even if some folk have long memories and feel the need to bring them up often). He's currently playing the best football of his career imo and would have probably had a shut out today had it not been for Porto's intervention trying as he usually does to drive us on when it's not happening in front of him. So any sort of anti-Hibs thing it is not.

Northernhibee
01-05-2021, 08:58 PM
If we could get the money we’d be rumoured to get for him?

I’d rather Hoban at Aberdeen and Kerr at St J for starters. Porteous is the weakest link in our back 4 imo. Not at the level of either full back or Hanlon. We looked a better side when Daz replaced him as well.

Kerr has been a part of a defence that has conceded more than we have and I doubt we'd be able to get Hoban. I'm also not convinced he's better than Porteous.

There aren't "stacks" of defenders better than Porteous in this league. He's got the odd howler of a mistake in him but so did Efe. We'll miss him when he's left us.

Kaff
01-05-2021, 09:09 PM
I like Porteous and the fact he tries to keep possession, often faking a challenge with the forward and dropping off to recycle the ball while the forward has committed to the original tussle. Its clever and vital its developing in our defence but he's still learning and does make mistakes.
The contrast was the Saints defenders today, got themselves 1 goal up and if facing their goal punted the ball in the stands.
All very good and solid but there's no development of the team there, if we've got any ambition of winning any Europa League or Conference games this is what we've got to develop, as a nation tbh.
At the mistake a Saints defender would have launched the winning tackle out for a throw and reset, he tried to come inside and get a counter attack started but the pass was horrendous and got what it deserved unfortunately.
One mistake and it allowed Saints to play their stifling tactics but the manager had ages to get us more dynamic and dangerous yet mustered very little till late in the 2nd half. I'm not hanging that result on Porteous

Baldy Foghorn
01-05-2021, 09:09 PM
Kerr has been a part of a defence that has conceded more than we have and I doubt we'd be able to get Hoban. I'm also not convinced he's better than Porteous.

There aren't "stacks" of defenders better than Porteous in this league. He's got the odd howler of a mistake in him but so did Efe. We'll miss him when he's left us.

Spot on

Smartie
01-05-2021, 09:20 PM
I like Porteous and the fact he tries to keep possession, often faking a challenge with the forward and dropping off to recycle the ball while the forward has committed to the original tussle. Its clever and vital its developing in our defence but he's still learning and does make mistakes.
The contrast was the Saints defenders today, got themselves 1 goal up and if facing their goal punted the ball in the stands.
All very good and solid but there's no development of the team there, if we've got any ambition of winning any Europa League or Conference games this is what we've got to develop, as a nation tbh.
At the mistake a Saints defender would have launched the winning tackle out for a throw and reset, he tried to come inside and get a counter attack started but the pass was horrendous and got what it deserved unfortunately.
One mistake and it allowed Saints to play their stifling tactics but the manager had ages to get us more dynamic and dangerous yet mustered very little till late in the 2nd half. I'm not hanging that result on Porteous

I think there's a place for "if they score 4 then we'll score 5" but this Hibs squad is just not up to that. It's threadbare, and being without Cadden and Nisbet made it even more so. We didn't have a multitude of options to change the game up, to throw caution to the wind and to chase the game from behind. I'm not necessarily blaming anyone for that - these are strange, covid times and you can't really argue with this squad's achievement in getting itself high up the league and into the latter stages of cup competitions - but we went into today's game with who we had available and were restricted in what we could actually do to chase the game.

And under those circumstances, sometimes you just need to be putting it into the stand and regrouping. Or any of the other things you can do short of putting it right on a striker's foot on the edge of the box.

Murphy did similar at Pittodrie earlier this season when Aberdeen were a little bit more like the Aberdeen of recent years - he gave the ball away from an idiotic position and gave Aberdeen the ideal start to that game.

Jack Ross can't do much about that, short of strengthening his squad and adding greater depth over the summer.

Whilst I remain a bit lukewarm to Jack Ross given how decent our achievements have been this season on paper, I have a degree of sympathy with him today, I don't know what else he was really meant to do. Porteous sold the jerseys, he did the one thing you just cannot afford to do in a game like that. Managers are just f***ed when players do that, which any manager thinking of parting with a few million for Porteous will be acutely aware of.

Brightside
01-05-2021, 09:28 PM
Porto is a decent defender, still make the occasional mistake, as do all defenders. He;s still better than the majority in the league.

Fergos
01-05-2021, 09:43 PM
Costly mistake today. Young lad. Good defender who will improve,

I’d wager he will have a stormer next week. Lets hope so.

GGTTH

greenpaper55
01-05-2021, 09:49 PM
I don't get the good defender bit, he makes more howlers than any other CB in the SPL, half of you on here have never seen a good CB so i suppose that lets you off the hook.

Kaff
01-05-2021, 09:56 PM
I think there's a place for "if they score 4 then we'll score 5" but this Hibs squad is just not up to that. It's threadbare, and being without Cadden and Nisbet made it even more so. We didn't have a multitude of options to change the game up, to throw caution to the wind and to chase the game from behind. I'm not necessarily blaming anyone for that - these are strange, covid times and you can't really argue with this squad's achievement in getting itself high up the league and into the latter stages of cup competitions - but we went into today's game with who we had available and were restricted in what we could actually do to chase the game.

And under those circumstances, sometimes you just need to be putting it into the stand and regrouping. Or any of the other things you can do short of putting it right on a striker's foot on the edge of the box.

Murphy did similar at Pittodrie earlier this season when Aberdeen were a little bit more like the Aberdeen of recent years - he gave the ball away from an idiotic position and gave Aberdeen the ideal start to that game.

Jack Ross can't do much about that, short of strengthening his squad and adding greater depth over the summer.

Whilst I remain a bit lukewarm to Jack Ross given how decent our achievements have been this season on paper, I have a degree of sympathy with him today, I don't know what else he was really meant to do. Porteous sold the jerseys, he did the one thing you just cannot afford to do in a game like that. Managers are just f***ed when players do that, which any manager thinking of parting with a few million for Porteous will be acutely aware of.

Agree with that to the most part but Jack had a long time to analyse the game after the mistake, it didn't happen with 5 or 10 minutes left.
Doig was doubled up so we lost his dynamic wide play, Boyle was central so we lost his dynamic wide play.
With about 10/15 mins to go we pushed Irvine up and Boyle wide, almost an hour too late.
Getting bogged down in a central struggle was the mistake and borne out of his safety first strategy, players make mistakes all the time and the manager also has to react to them as well as setting out a strategy based on everything working out.
I'm backing Porto but he needs to cut down these big mistakes, I saw Hanlon waving his arms and I'm assuming bollocking him but it does seem we need a real leader on the pitch, I don't know who that would be but we do seem a very nice team in general.

JohnM1875
01-05-2021, 09:57 PM
I honestly think he's a very good defender and just wish he played as well as he has the past month or so.

But you can guarantee he's got that kind of mistake in him and it happens far too often. Today and that header back in his own box are prime examples. That's what, four points it's cost us from his errors.

Still no idea why we dropped Daz.

Kaff
01-05-2021, 09:57 PM
I don't get the good defender bit, he makes more howlers than any other CB in the SPL, half of you on here have never seen a good CB so i suppose that lets you off the hook.

What utter pretentious cr@p

O'Rourke3
01-05-2021, 10:09 PM
Porto had a brainfart today. Would the OP and all the posters that piled on the numerous times he's cost us goals please list them? The inference is one every other week.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Brightside
01-05-2021, 10:27 PM

Stay of the juice.

Unseen work
01-05-2021, 11:28 PM
He makes these sort of mistakes far too often by trying to be clever.

Once of the first things you’re told is don’t pass the ball across your goal, it’s criminal.

I’d put money on him being responsible for most goals by personal errors than anyone else.

Yes he puts in some brilliant displays and up until today was in very good form but Jesus Porteous!!!

That now puts us under severe pressure for third now.

Unseen work
01-05-2021, 11:30 PM
Porto had a brainfart today. Would the OP and all the posters that piled on the numerous times he's cost us goals please list them? The inference is one every other week.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quickly from memory;

Today
Livingston - Tried to head it back to Marciano and Sibbald scored
St Johnstone - Losing Kerr at corner
Livingston - High ball that he completely misjudged
Rangers - let Morelos run off him

There are another 3 or so between November- February that I just can’t remember

joebakerforever
01-05-2021, 11:44 PM
Quickly from memory;

Today
Livingston - Tried to head it back to Marciano and Sibbald scored
St Johnstone - Losing Kerr at corner
Livingston - High ball that he completely misjudged
Rangers - let Morelos run off him

There are another 3 or so between November- February that I just can’t remember

Add in vs Aberdeen 6/11/20 when under no pressure his attempted clearance scudded off Ferguson forward to Cosgrove who scored because of this self inflicted blunder.

Jim44
01-05-2021, 11:50 PM

Reluctantly :agree:

cubehindthegoal
01-05-2021, 11:54 PM
I like porteous but you don’t play the ball across your own box. £2m... I’d take it!

You might not ... I’ve seen lots of experienced top class defenders manage it just fine ...

Brightside
01-05-2021, 11:55 PM
He doesn’t make regular blunders. Just the blunders as ever are highlighted more than his good performances. We do the same with Hanlon. Fans shouting out for other CHs who are letting in more goals. Next one will come in, make a mistake then he will be pish too.

Forza Fred
02-05-2021, 12:07 AM
Given Ryan made a schoolboy error last time we played St Johnstone, when he headed a clearance direct to Liam Craig who was positioned right in the middle on the edge of our box and duly dispatched the ball into our net, I did think he would make a mental note to exercise more care and attention in our latest encounter.

Professional football is a game of fine margins, and his latest schoolboy error turned out to be the match winning difference.

Tam McManus said Ryan would learn from that, but I would have thought that like the rest of us, he learned not to pass the ball across the box to an opposing player when playing juvenile football?

Ryan is undoubtedly a good player, but through his own actions is rapidly gaining a 'bombscare' reputation with his basic errors.

Question is...do we write them off continually, or do we seek to replace him.

The best indicator of future performance, is past performance....and I jut don't understand why as a professional footballer he continues to make rank bad amateur errors in critical positions.

I doubt if even he could tell us why he passed to Middleton

I'm not being trite nor critical here...but perhaps a sports Psychologist can help him?

cubehindthegoal
02-05-2021, 12:08 AM
Jeez ... if anyone genuinely thinks we should be happy to lose him ... then feel free to post up your alternative central defender we should play or buy here ...

Forza Fred
02-05-2021, 12:16 AM
Jeez ... if anyone genuinely thinks we should be happy to lose him ... then feel free to post up your alternative central defender we should play or buy here ...

I'm not advocating turning him loose, but seeing as you asked, if he did go, then Jason Kerr of St Johnstone I have admired for some time and would like us to sign.

In fact, even if Ryan stays, I'd still like us to sign him.

cubehindthegoal
02-05-2021, 12:20 AM
I'm not advocating turning him loose, but seeing as you asked, if he did go, then Jason Kerr of St Johnstone I have admired for some time and would like us to sign.

In fact, even if Ryan stays, I'd still like us to sign him.

I wouldn’t argue with an addition if they would truly add to what we have. But I hope we keep our best ... and hence among the best in the SPL ... a bit longer ...

Fergos
02-05-2021, 03:19 AM

Its ok heres GP55 to tell us all about good footballers. He knows.

Phew.

GGTTH

neil7908
02-05-2021, 04:04 AM
His mistake was poor and he definitely still has a lot of learning to do.

But we also need to question why it's now 3 games against St Johnstone that we've lost in a row, with 5 goals conceded and 0 scored.

It's coming down to one of our biggest issues this season - if we go a goal down then we never look like getting back. Score a couple of goals today and Porto's mistake is forgotten.

A bit of pressure on the manager and players now. We haven't achieved anything yet and it would be a bitter pill to swallow if we finish 4th and get dumped out of the cup given the way we've exited the SC and LC in the last few months.

Tambo
02-05-2021, 07:29 AM
Had been playing well again for the past few games and then does that, not his first error either for hibs but yesterday was the worst I’ve seen.

McGregor in for the semi?

Sir David Gray
02-05-2021, 08:24 AM
Had been playing well again for the past few games and then does that, not his first error either for hibs but yesterday was the worst I’ve seen.

McGregor in for the semi?

If he's fit then yes.

Crunchie
02-05-2021, 08:25 AM

There's that word inexcusable again :confused:

There's that word inexcusable again :confused:, he's a young man learning his trade and making the odd mistake which are being highlighted by the fact they're unfortunately costing us the odd goal. He's already being scouted by clubs down south, so they don't seem to think his mistakes are inexcusable, I'm sure their scouts are more qualified than Hibs. netters, especially when we're talking over a million.

calumhibee1
02-05-2021, 08:34 AM
If he's fit then yes.

Daz is a better option than Porteous at this point in time.

Iain G
02-05-2021, 08:42 AM
There's that word inexcusable again :confused:, he's a young man learning his trade and making the odd mistake which are being highlighted by the fact they're unfortunately costing us the odd goal. He's already being scouted by clubs down south, so they don't seem to think his mistakes are inexcusable, I'm sure their scouts are more qualified than Hibs. netters, especially when we're talking over a million.

That's a bit patronising, lots of people on here have watched a lot of football! Sounds a bit like Yogi and his "fitba' people ken what's going on" kinda statement that suggests us folks who have never played the game are clueless and shouldn't have an opinion?

He is still developing (Porto not yogi!) and unfortunately has made mistakes this season that have led directly to us losing a goal. Something he can hopefully eradicate from his game.

lucky
02-05-2021, 08:47 AM
He made a big mistake yesterday but he’s not a bad defender. His game has improved this season but after the Millwall bid was rejected he was dropped and couldn’t get back in the team. He was linked with a move to QPR on Friday and again his head seems to have been turned and he plays poorly. Defending in the Scottish Premiership is not that difficult as most teams just clear their lines and don’t try anything fancy. Hibs are trying to play from the back and as such mistakes will happen. The alternative is hoofball and that is eye bleedingly bad to watch.

Dashing Bob S
02-05-2021, 08:51 AM

For sure

Keith_M
02-05-2021, 08:52 AM
Nobody has written him off ...people have merely commented on a horrible error ..everyone recognises he has a lot of talent

Quite a few people have said they'd be happy for him to leave, and that we should basically accept the next offer that comes up. Others have said we should drop him for McGregor.

Maybe 'written him off' is not technically the correct phrase, but it's pretty damn close.

stantonhibby
02-05-2021, 08:56 AM
Given Ryan made a schoolboy error last time we played St Johnstone, when he headed a clearance direct to Liam Craig who was positioned right in the middle on the edge of our box and duly dispatched the ball into our net, I did think he would make a mental note to exercise more care and attention in our latest encounter.

Professional football is a game of fine margins, and his latest schoolboy error turned out to be the match winning difference.

Tam McManus said Ryan would learn from that, but I would have thought that like the rest of us, he learned not to pass the ball across the box to an opposing player when playing juvenile football?

Ryan is undoubtedly a good player, but through his own actions is rapidly gaining a 'bombscare' reputation with his basic errors.

Question is...do we write them off continually, or do we seek to replace him.

The best indicator of future performance, is past performance....and I jut don't understand why as a professional footballer he continues to make rank bad amateur errors in critical positions.

I doubt if even he could tell us why he passed to Middleton

I'm not being trite nor critical here...but perhaps a sports Psychologist can help him?

Your first paragraph is completely wrong....it was a header from Newell then a poor clearance from Doig straight to Liam Craig. No doubt Ryan made a huge mistake yesterday but let's not start making stuff up to add to the pile on!

HendoDelivered
02-05-2021, 09:04 AM
Its like too many folk can’t wait for him to make a mistake so they can tear into Hibs for not accepting a bid for him in January... sad stuff.

MrRobot
02-05-2021, 09:06 AM
He doesn’t make regular blunders. Just the blunders as ever are highlighted more than his good performances. We do the same with Hanlon. Fans shouting out for other CHs who are letting in more goals. Next one will come in, make a mistake then he will be pish too.

Ryan Porteous is going to be a top CB. Of course he isn’t there yet, it’s his first season as a regular and he is still learning but the difference in him between first breaking into the team and now is huge.

jacomo
02-05-2021, 09:14 AM
Its like too many folk can’t wait for him to make a mistake so they can tear into Hibs for not accepting a bid for him in January... sad stuff.

I’m not trying to get Porto out the door at all, but that was very, very poor from him yesterday.

Inexplicable mistake.

calumhibee1
02-05-2021, 09:24 AM
Quite a few people have said they'd be happy for him to leave, and that we should basically accept the next offer that comes up. Others have said we should drop him for McGregor.

Maybe 'written him off' is not technically the correct phrase, but it's pretty damn close.

I’m not sure why replacing him with Daz has to be seen as such a criticism.

Imo McGregor is still an exceptionally good centre back at this level. More than anything it’s how good McGregor is that makes me feel he should be playing while he still can.

easty
02-05-2021, 09:36 AM
Darren Mcgregor a few years ago was much better than Porteous is now...but McGregor isn’t that player anymore. Jack Ross picks the best team available to him. Porteous is ahead of McGregor because he’s better.

Since90+2
02-05-2021, 09:37 AM
McGregor showed earlier this season when he played that he is still the best centre half at the club IMO.

calumhibee1
02-05-2021, 09:38 AM
Darren Mcgregor a few years ago was much better than Porteous is now...but McGregor isn’t that player anymore. Jack Ross picks the best team available to him. Porteous is ahead of McGregor because he’s better.

McGregor when he came into the team was putting in performances better than either Porteous or Hanlon have this season imo. Albeit it’s a small sample size but when he’s been on the pitch he’s been very very good.

easty
02-05-2021, 09:43 AM
McGregor when he came into the team was putting in performances better than either Porteous or Hanlon have this season imo. Albeit it’s a small sample size but when he’s been on the pitch he’s been very very good.

No he wasn’t, and he dropped back out the team for that reason. There was a thread on here that had stats for each player, which showed how he wasn’t better at all.

AFKA5814_Hibs
02-05-2021, 09:45 AM

In the latest programme Porteous mentions that when McGregor came in for him he was playing like Baresi. I'd have no problem with McGregor coming back into the team.

Smartie
02-05-2021, 09:54 AM
McGregor was a bit ropey in an awful team performance against Motherwell in his final game.

It was a shame, because it tarnished what had been a pretty immaculate return to the side when we really needed him.

No howlers, but he just wasn’t that great.

He showed enough over a few games to suggest he could still play - and enough to suggest that those in possession of the jerseys should be taking nothing for granted.

I’m torn, because we all know how good Porteous can be, and it would be just like him to bounce back with a big performance.

But this game is absolutely massive and I just don’t know if I trust him to do the basics - not making any howlers, marking properly at set pieces etc. He’ll likely be under scrutiny more than ever after yesterday so will be under pressure.

Tbh, in a game that is likely to come down to fine margins (as usual) I think we’d miss his threat in the opponents’ box at set pieces the most.

And whilst some folk are questioning “leadership” within the side, their might be something to be said for bringing McGregor back in for a laddie who, it appears to me, already has half his brain playing in the English Championship.

AFKA5814_Hibs
02-05-2021, 10:00 AM
If we get to the final and play St Johnstone, maybe a back 3 Porteous, Hanlon McGregor would be a good idea?

Crunchie
02-05-2021, 10:19 AM
That's a bit patronising, lots of people on here have watched a lot of football! Sounds a bit like Yogi and his "fitba' people ken what's going on" kinda statement that suggests us folks who have never played the game are clueless and shouldn't have an opinion?

He is still developing (Porto not yogi!) and unfortunately has made mistakes this season that have led directly to us losing a goal. Something he can hopefully eradicate from his game.
Not meant to come across as patronising, but do you think you're more qualified than a scout to spot a player costing your club over a million?
The best defenders/goalies in the world have all made costly blunders in their careers and at a far more developed stage than Porto, you're never going to completely eradicate errors, no one is perfect.

where'stheslope
02-05-2021, 10:42 AM
Not meant to come across as patronising, but do you think you're more qualified than a scout to spot a player costing your club over a million?
The best defenders/goalies in the world have all made costly blunders in their careers and at a far more developed stage than Porto, you're never going to completely eradicate errors, no one is perfect.
You are totally right, but, the first things a defender learns is:
Don't pass the ball back to the goalkeeper between the posts.
Never play a pass in your own box across the front of goal.
Problem is modern day football is to play the ball out from the back, it can be costly at times, it just takes a bounce of the ball at the wrong time, and you get a flat pass rather than a flighted ball!!!
Hope he learns quick, this season is turning out to be one of our best!!!

Brightside
02-05-2021, 10:50 AM

Hes not.

the tornadoe
02-05-2021, 11:00 AM
If you look at how often Ryan gets the ball from Rocky to play it out the obvious conclusion is that
he is better , more comfortable than Hanlon getting the ball in that situation and by conclusion Ross thinks so as well. Ryan make mistakes as do all players, his unfortunately given where he makes them are much more costly and obvious to everyone, he has many many more good points than bad and will slowly but surely mature in to one of the best CH this club has produced.

calumhibee1
02-05-2021, 11:05 AM
Hes not.

He is.

Hibs1969
02-05-2021, 11:09 AM
......if he can cut out ridiculous, completely avoidable mistakes like yesterday’s. Someone needs to remind him he’s not Maldini or Baresi yet.

Big_Franck
02-05-2021, 11:21 AM
Poor error yesterday but he's been excellent for weeks. He's just getting his mistake out his system before the run in :greengrin

Dr What If?
02-05-2021, 11:28 AM
Hes not.
Daz probably is.....his experience is what we need most at the moment. In Ryan we have the best young CB in Scotland, he will get better and either hold that position in our defense for years or net us millions, maybe even both.....but this is his first real season as the first choice in that position. He is quality but also inexperienced and impulsive, he also has energy and drive.....but we need steady. Winning the cup is priority and we are not up against any world beaters. We need to be solid and good at the basics and we will come through. Darren is also no poor second option, safe and quality.....its him we need now.

EVENTUALLY
02-05-2021, 11:28 AM
Ryan Porteous is an improving defender who has done very well since being introduced to the first team by Neil Lennon at Ibrox.
Its said many times that when goalies make a mistake it usually ends up in a goal being conceded. Its often similar for central defenders albeit they can look to their keeper to bail them out. Ryan's mistake was huge but what on earth was Marciano doing by running out of his goal to offer his availability to take a pass as Hanlon was positioned well enough to do that. Marciano's temporary evacuation of the entire goal made Middleton's task simple.

Ryan was the hero last week with a fine penalty box tackle denying the Mwell attacker the opportunity to have a 12 yard shot from the centre of the box and then he stepped up to fire us into the semi final from the penalty spot. Great guy last week but a dud to many this week.

I believe he'll learn from his mistake and keep improving at the same rate as from his debut and prove his doubters wrong.

wookie70
02-05-2021, 11:30 AM
Poor error yesterday but he's been excellent for weeks. He's just getting his mistake out his system before the run in :greengrin

Yep, my theory is he get more and more confident as the good performances pile up. That encourages him to play more football and it results in terrible decision making like yesterday as he becomes over confident and lacks that experience. I know lots of fans say his development has stalled but I think he is getting better and better. Centre halves are usually at their peak around 30 so he has many good years to come. Hopefully he realises that the reason he has been excellent for weeks is because he was sticking to the basics and only playing the harder passes with more risk when he was already 30 or 40 yards from his own goal. He does need to learn from yesterday though as that pass was never on and should never have been attempted. Daz or Hanlon would have went long or tried to buy a cheap foul

Brightside
02-05-2021, 11:33 AM
If you look at how often Ryan gets the ball from Rocky to play it out the obvious conclusion is that
he is better , more comfortable than Hanlon getting the ball in that situation and by conclusion Ross thinks so as well. Ryan make mistakes as do all players, his unfortunately given where he makes them are much more costly and obvious to everyone, he has many many more good points than bad and will slowly but surely mature in to one of the best CH this club has produced.

He get the ball more ofter because Rocky is right handed so his first reaction is to distribute that way.

WeeRussell
02-05-2021, 11:39 AM

I largely agree with you. Porteous has a lot of quality and the potential to be a great defender with us and elsewhere.

I do however think you’ve named two of the most over rated centre halves in English football history to make your point though 😁 albeit, they’re both having cracking careers!

Scouse Hibee
02-05-2021, 11:57 AM

😂 Behave.

the tornadoe
02-05-2021, 12:06 PM
He get the ball more ofter because Rocky is right handed so his first reaction is to distribute that way.

Hanlon is Captain and on the park , Ross is the manager, both are happy for Rocky to give it to Porto 9 times out of 10 without complaint it would appear..

Brightside
02-05-2021, 01:10 PM
Hanlon is Captain and on the park , Ross is the manager, both are happy for Rocky to give it to Porto 9 times out of 10 without complaint it would appear..

That stat is just made up though.

NAE NOOKIE
02-05-2021, 01:47 PM
Before and after his brain fart he actually had a decent game as he often does. But Hibs TV were making the usual 'young player who is going to make mistakes' excuse for his aberration, to be honest even as a defender of Porto in normal circumstances that train of thought is beginning to wear a bit thin, he has bags of first team experience now and what he did on Saturday would have earned a Lowland league player pelters from his manager.

He is learning though, his big failing was clattering challenges on the edge of the box that gave the opposition far too many dead ball opportunities in good areas, we see far less of that from him now and I still think he is the future of our central defence.

flash
02-05-2021, 01:49 PM
He is.

Not even close.

Northernhibee
02-05-2021, 02:00 PM
Hes not.

Correct. Porteous is a well rounded defender whereas he was very raw and quite one dimensional when he broke through. Quite quick, very strong and good in the air.

He is unquestionably still young though and yesterday will be another tough lesson in his trajectory. Simply put if you don’t make the odd mistake at Porto’s stage in his career then you’re likely not trying hard enough to develop.

Since90+2
02-05-2021, 02:07 PM
Overall I really don't think there is much of a difference in levels at this time between Hanlon, McGregor and Porteous. The fact Darren is almost 36 I'm not sure if that's a compliment to him or a detraction of the other 2.

In my opinion a 30 year McGregor is better than either current version of Porteous or Hanlon however Porteous does have the ability and potential to have the best career of the 3.

Mr. Wonderful
02-05-2021, 02:07 PM
Correct. Porteous is a well rounded defender whereas he was very raw and quite one dimensional when he broke through. Quite quick, very strong and good in the air.

He is unquestionably still young though and yesterday will be another tough lesson in his trajectory. Simply put if you don’t make the odd mistake at Porto’s stage in his career then you’re likely not trying hard enough to develop.

Comparing him to the likes of Jason Kerr seems relevant to some but Jason Kerr has considerably more first team games under his belt. Porteous is 22 but due to injuries, development wise he's at least a season behind where he should be.

Jason Kerr made errors like the one Porteous made yesterday a couple of seasons ago. These things sharpen up with experience.

the tornadoe
02-05-2021, 03:14 PM

True , but I will qualify it as an educated guess.....

Phil MaGlass
02-05-2021, 04:30 PM
Hes a good player, made a mistake. Not his fault the whole team were ***** and the manager cannae get the team tae win big games.

Northernhibee
02-05-2021, 04:36 PM
Hes a good player, made a mistake. Not his fault the whole team were ***** and the manager cannae get the team tae win big games.

Apart from the big games that we've been winning?

Eyrie
02-05-2021, 07:38 PM
Apart from the big games that we've been winning?

They're not big games though :na na:

Iain G
02-05-2021, 07:57 PM
My god have finally seen the highlights, what the hell was he thinking? He had time and he looked up and still made that pass?

Northernhibee
02-05-2021, 08:18 PM
My god have finally seen the highlights, what the hell was he thinking? He had time and he looked up and still made that pass?

Quite honestly I think he committed to making a pass to Wright, didn't see Middleton until it was too late and in the panic of that, ended up badly underhitting the pass.

Billy Whizz
02-05-2021, 08:20 PM

Iain, we have bigger problems at Hibs just now, than Ryan make a bad decision
He’ll be the 1st one to put his hand up. Wonder if the other players will put their hands up, for not doing it on Saturday

tamig
02-05-2021, 08:39 PM
He’ll be the 1st one to put his hand up. Wonder if the other players will put their hands up, for not doing it on Saturday

Porteous made a horrendous mistake. The worrying thing is there's been a few of them this season. His tendency to make a critical mistake is a big problem and shouldn’t be overlooked just because most of his team mates were off the pace. He needs to cut out the daft mistakes pronto.

Iain G
02-05-2021, 09:13 PM

He gifted them the first goal and they are very hard to break down when they sit in even when we are on song, that and what seemed to be a huffing puffing lack of quality in our play lead to our defeat.

Having so many players off the pace at the same time seems to be something that happens and the management team need to work out what's going wrong.

Smartie
02-05-2021, 09:25 PM

Our threadbare squad is our biggest problem. A couple of players missing and, like yesterday, we struggle badly.

Our error-prone centre-half is a big problem, as big a problem as we have in our team right now. We’ve got some big games coming up where we know there will be little margin for error and will likely be settled by the finest of margins of someone making a mistake.

It might be Christian Doidge missing half a dozen chances or it might be Ryan Porteous switching off and doing any one of the many things he’s capable of doing to chuck a game.

Overall the picture is pretty rosy and we have many more reasons to be confident than pessimistic. But we can’t just wish these mistakes away, they’re part of him and they’re part of us right now.

Iain G
03-05-2021, 08:11 AM
Hanlon defending Porto and makes a good point about them not managing to react to going behind:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-team-mate-defends-ryan-porteous-after-st-johnstone-error-3222360

Though the "uncharacteristic" comment by the journo in relation to the mistake is not quite accurate 🤣

BoomtownHibees
03-05-2021, 10:00 AM

So is the point about him giving the ball to Porteous more because he’s right handed

Smartie
03-05-2021, 10:07 AM
Hanlon defending Porto and makes a good point about them not managing to react to going behind:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-team-mate-defends-ryan-porteous-after-st-johnstone-error-3222360

Though the "uncharacteristic" comment by the journo in relation to the mistake is not quite accurate 🤣

Good to hear Hanlon coming out and defending him though.

We hear the "lack of leadership" thing coming out quite a lot.

In my opinion we're getting proper leadership from Paul Hanlon right now.

jacomo
03-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Good to hear Hanlon coming out and defending him though.

We hear the "lack of leadership" thing coming out quite a lot.

In my opinion we're getting proper leadership from Paul Hanlon right now.

Exactly what you’d expect a captain to say.

Anthony Soprano
03-05-2021, 01:45 PM
Overall I really don't think there is much of a difference in levels at this time between Hanlon, McGregor and Porteous. The fact Darren is almost 36 I'm not sure if that's a compliment to him or a detraction of the other 2.

In my opinion a 30 year McGregor is better than either current version of Porteous or Hanlon however Porteous does have the ability and potential to have the best career of the 3.

Agree mostly, McGregor has the experience on his side but most of his game is down to his size and strength.

Porteous is far better than Hanlon was at the same stage in his career. Daz was playing for Cowdenbeath I think at 22. Daz is a no-nonsense centre half with limited technical ability, Hanlon has better technical ability but up till the last 5 years or so really struggled with the physical side of the game and was prone to mistakes.

In short Porteous is a much more accomplished centre half than either were at that stage of their career. Strong, quick, good in the air, (generally) good with his feet. He needs to stop overcomplicating his role IMO, put the ball in the stands rather than mucking about trying to pick out a pass. His mistake on Saturday was suicide, you never pass the ball across your own box, that's learned at primary school level.