PDA

View Full Version : Social Media Blackout

Andy74
29-04-2021, 08:55 PM
Hasn’t seen it discussed as yet.

As we are taking part does this mean absolutely nothing on a weekend including a match day. No team being posted, score updates etc?

Don’t think this will do anything to change the behaviour of idiots abusing people. Is it supposed to be a way of impacting the platforms themselves?

hibbysam
29-04-2021, 09:00 PM

As we are taking part does this mean absolutely nothing on a weekend including a match day. No team being posted, score updates etc?

Don’t think this will do anything to change the behaviour of idiots abusing people. Is it supposed to be a way of impacting the platforms themselves?

Yeah, I think it’s more about social media companies sorting themselves out, while raising the topic again and keeping it in the public eye.

Carheenlea
29-04-2021, 09:01 PM
Other than denying fans access to content ahead of a huge weekend game and leading up to semi final I’m not sure what the point of it all is.

hibbysam
29-04-2021, 09:03 PM
Other than denying fans access to content ahead of a huge weekend game and leading up to semi final I’m not sure what the point of it all is.

Some topics are far more important than a few team lines.

ancient hibee
29-04-2021, 09:29 PM
Scottish football has two teams whose supporters are unequalled for the amount of filth and bigotry they pour out either in person or on social media.It’s good to know that irony isn’t dead.

danhibees1875
29-04-2021, 09:37 PM
In the absence of social media posts I'm curious as to how we'll get the lineup... Will BBC or similar be able to provide teams at 2pm?

I'm assuming the teams that Livescore etc end up with are originally from social media channels and not sourced elsewhere. Bookies maybe? :dunno:

Sir David Gray
29-04-2021, 09:45 PM
Clubs would be as well shutting down their social media accounts permanently if they decide to hold a protest after every time there's a sectarian incident when the fans eventually make their return.

It will be interesting to see if there's as much of an issue made of it.

Hibbyradge
29-04-2021, 09:51 PM
Clubs would be as well shutting down their social media accounts permanently if they decide to hold a protest after every time there's a sectarian incident when the fans eventually make their return.

They've no intention of doing that.

Greenio
29-04-2021, 09:56 PM
In the absence of social media posts I'm curious as to how we'll get the lineup... Will BBC or similar be able to provide teams at 2pm?

I'm assuming the teams that Livescore etc end up with are originally from social media channels and not sourced elsewhere. Bookies maybe? :dunno:

They'll be on the hibs website no?

Brightside
29-04-2021, 10:00 PM
I don’t think social media companies will give a ****. They only way forward is providing an ID for online accts.

Sir David Gray
29-04-2021, 10:06 PM
They've no intention of doing that.

I know, my tongue was firmly in my cheek.

Glory Lurker
29-04-2021, 10:16 PM
This isn't just Hibs, it isn't just football. It's a widespread warning shot across social media's bow. Mentioned above that fixing it needs user registration. That's no doubt right, and this sort of pressure might lead to that.

It might not happen right away, but there's no doubt the platforms will notice this weekend. It won't be a one-off if they don't.

hibsbollah
29-04-2021, 10:24 PM
Support it, or don’t. It’s not that difficult.

Eyrie
29-04-2021, 10:38 PM
I'm pleased Hibs are part of this.

It's a concerted effort by various sports to draw attention to the failure of social media firms to deal correctly with online abuse. Not criticism, abuse.

WeeRussell
29-04-2021, 10:58 PM

Surely you do see the point of it all, whether or not you agree with it.

I for one am glad Hibs are taking part and can manage to get by finding out the team lineup on something other than Instagram for one afternoon, in the hope these things can contribute even in the slightest way.

CMurdoch
29-04-2021, 11:55 PM
Marv B was on BBC tonight talking about ithe issue and the initiative. Derek Ferguson was doing his best to support him with his comments despite his serious lack of communication skills. Derek is the Brian Wilson of punditry where you will the guy to get the words out. Then give him a massive cheer when he succeeds.
Marv was very good.

basehibby
30-04-2021, 02:25 AM
Social Media firms don't seem to have a problem censoring certain kinds of content these days so it's a mystery why it's so hard for them to deal with something like blatant racist abuse. Bartley's comments are fair - the anonymity factor can make these platforms a magnet for cowardly creeps and morons. I presume the perpetrators get their accounts closed down - if not why not? - if so it seems that's not enough to deter the seriously demented.

danhibees1875
30-04-2021, 06:21 AM
They'll be on the hibs website no?

That would make sense! :doh:

To be honest, I forget we have a website. I don't think I've been on it since I bought my season ticket last year.

oconnors_strip
30-04-2021, 06:29 AM

We will have to go back to the old fashioned way of listening to the radio for the line ups.

I remember going to games in the 90s with my dad and we would listen to the radio in the car waiting for the line ups and guessing who would be right. Take me back to the olden days would be great!

Since452
30-04-2021, 06:44 AM
Sites like Rangers Media should be shut down if they really want to tackle the big issues. I challenge anyone to read that and not be disgusted within the first 30 seconds

hibsbollah
30-04-2021, 06:54 AM
Sites like Rangers Media should be shut down if they really want to tackle the big issues. I challenge anyone to read that and not be disgusted within the first 30 seconds

I’m no fan of rangers media, but I don’t think they’re regularly sending rape threats to female pundits or calling black players coons or monkeys, which is the complaint about Twitter et al and their lack of moderation/sanction.

Latapy'sVolley
30-04-2021, 07:36 AM

Yep BBC Sport puts the lineups up when they're released

Andy74
30-04-2021, 08:38 AM
I notice Man U have said that online abuse was up 350% since 2019.

Whilst society certainly still had a problem with racism and football will have reflected that I didn’t ever think there was a huge problem.

It is always a difficult conversation because highlighting it and speaking out about it is important but has the way that this has been done actually made it worse? I think it probably has.

jacomo
30-04-2021, 08:46 AM

Really?

jacomo
30-04-2021, 08:47 AM

Of course. Football existed before social media, and the internet for that matter.

McSwanky
30-04-2021, 08:50 AM
The blackout may or may not, be a good idea, and it may or may not have any effect. But if one good thing comes out of it.....

https://twitter.com/Douglas4Moray/status/1388048540597952518

Heckys Wheel
30-04-2021, 08:53 AM

This post is mental 😂

Reminds me of a video clip I saw of a couple of millennials being handed one of the old round dial phones and them trying to figure out how to use it.

Andy74
30-04-2021, 09:04 AM
This post is mental 😂

Reminds me of a video clip I saw of a couple of millennials being handed one of the old round dial phones and them trying to figure out how to use it.

It isn’t really mental. This is the way that the club has been interacting with most of us for years now. It has been important to drive interest and also commercial activity, season ticket sales and so on.

It is 1 weekend only of course but it is a pretty big game for us, people look forward to the football and everything it comes with and whilst I’m sure it has a purpose it is also fair to say that the immediate impact is on those tens of thousands of fans who just want to to enjoy the game including the build up. I know I hit Twitter as soon as I think the team will be out.

Sure there’s other ways to find out, doubt it will be out as quickly. So yes, nothing wrong I think with pointing out that fans usual ways of enjoying the games this week will be impacted.

worcesterhibby
30-04-2021, 09:06 AM
Surely we can just get the line ups from Teletext or Ceefax ?

Greenbeard
30-04-2021, 09:09 AM

Is that we as in Hibs.net, or Hibs the club?
Is Hibs.net classified as social media?
What constitutes "abuse"? Am I guilty for saying on here I think Murphy is an eggshell and a woose? When does criticism spill over into abuse? The only reference I can see to "abuse" in the Forum Rules is in regard to abuse of other forum members by email or private message. Should we not be saying more than that?
All for verification being a requirement across all official social media. It might drive the pathetic attention-seeking serious abusers underground but if they want to wallow in their own little private mire with others of that ilk without the viewing figures they desire, no advertising to fund platforms etc., so be it. Just get them off the official outlets.

McSwanky
30-04-2021, 09:13 AM
Surely we can just get the line ups from Teletext or Ceefax ?

https://zxnet.co.uk/teletext/viewer/?channel=2&page=302

Sorted! :greengrin

hibbysam
30-04-2021, 09:15 AM
It isn’t really mental. This is the way that the club has been interacting with most of us for years now. It has been important to drive interest and also commercial activity, season ticket sales and so on.

It is 1 weekend only of course but it is a pretty big game for us, people look forward to the football and everything it comes with and whilst I’m sure it has a purpose it is also fair to say that the immediate impact is on those tens of thousands of fans who just want to to enjoy the game including the build up. I know I hit Twitter as soon as I think the team will be out.

Sure there’s other ways to find out, doubt it will be out as quickly. So yes, nothing wrong I think with pointing out that fans usual ways of enjoying the games this week will be impacted.

If it hits tens of thousands of people then it’s a job well done. Does it matter if you don’t see the team until 2pm rather than the usual 1.45pm? If your watching the game do you need updates from it? I’m at a loss as to what can be so important on Hibs Twitter that would have a severe negative impact on many people.

worcesterhibby
30-04-2021, 09:25 AM

haha that's great, thanks :greengrin

Andy74
30-04-2021, 09:30 AM
If it hits tens of thousands of people then it’s a job well done. Does it matter if you don’t see the team until 2pm rather than the usual 1.45pm? If your watching the game do you need updates from it? I’m at a loss as to what can be so important on Hibs Twitter that would have a severe negative impact on many people.

The vast majority of football fans just want to get on with supporting their football team.

I don't think getting the team news in is earth shattering if we are talking about all the issues that there are in the world but as we are discussing football on a football forum then it is an important part, for many, of the build up to the game.

I'm not sure that negatively impacting tens of thousands of people is a job well done. I thought this blackout was to get the attention of social media companies? As the Man U analysis has shown I think rather than positively changing the behaviour of idiots, things like this, if overdone, are beginning to create more idiots or more activity from the idiots.

I get that the big teams can influence Twitter and others by creating less traffic and less revenue and that clubs like ours are just showing solidarity for it, but I think it is fair to point out that in doing it, it is the normal football fans that are having their enjoyment of part of the football experience diminished.

I'm sure we can cope though.

Keith_M
30-04-2021, 09:33 AM
I don't think clubs stopping putting updates on their Social Media channels is going to inconvenience people's everyday lives too much so, agree or disagree, why not just let them get on with it.

Personally, I'm not actually convinced it's going to make much of a difference but what's the big deal? At least they're trying something.

Vault Boy
30-04-2021, 09:43 AM
I don't think clubs stopping putting updates on their Social Media channels is going to inconvenience people's everyday lives too much so, agree or disagree, why not just let them get on with it.

Personally, I'm not actually convinced it's going to make much of a difference but what's the big deal? At least they're trying something.

This is where I am with it.

Online abuse that constantly oversteps the mark is far more inconvenient for those that receive it than having to find team lineups elsewhere is for us. Hibs TV The Match starts half an hour before kick off, they'll have the team, Journalists on twitter will have the team, news websites will have the team. It'll be on here in no time too.

Previously I think the narrative has been set that teams have to ignore abuse delivered online and display a meekness in calling it out. Actions like this at the very least send home the message that they don't plan on just sitting back and that **** anymore.

hibbysam
30-04-2021, 09:44 AM
The vast majority of football fans just want to get on with supporting their football team.

I don't think getting the team news in is earth shattering if we are talking about all the issues that there are in the world but as we are discussing football on a football forum then it is an important part, for many, of the build up to the game.

I'm not sure that negatively impacting tens of thousands of people is a job well done. I thought this blackout was to get the attention of social media companies? As the Man U analysis has shown I think rather than positively changing the behaviour of idiots, things like this, if overdone, are beginning to create more idiots or more activity from the idiots.

I get that the big teams can influence Twitter and others by creating less traffic and less revenue and that clubs like ours are just showing solidarity for it, but I think it is fair to point out that in doing it, it is the normal football fans that are having their enjoyment of part of the football experience diminished.

If it means tens of thousands of people, times by x amount of clubs, don’t visit Twitter when they usually would, then of course it’s job well done.

Of course we all follow football for football but when employees start getting abused then the employer needs to do something, even if it impacts the paying customer.

I go on buses just to get from A to B, but when the driver gets assaulted regularly then the bus company must take a stand and take the buses off route. This impacts me as I just want to get to work but it’s completely right and proper for the company to do this. Same logic, slightly different scenario.

danhibees1875
30-04-2021, 09:50 AM
This post is mental 😂

I don't see what the problem with my post is, but I am biased in this. :greengrin

I personally get the team news as I know to check around 2pm on Twitter/FB/Instagram. It's then usually posted on here as a copy and paste job from one of those.

I see the lineups eventually also on Livescore - and I think the BBC probably have them, but only ever see that in the post game match reports - but don't know how they get them themselves and would assume at least the former is probably picked up from SMs but maybe not.

The way people do things changes, and for all I know the use of SM channels is the way Hibs communicate their team news to relevant parties these days. I'm curious to see what the go to is now without that as an option is all.

I imagine at some point I'll first see the team on here, but I've no idea where that person will have initially got the information. :dunno:

jacomo
30-04-2021, 10:05 AM

You seem to be coping very well.

Andy74
30-04-2021, 10:14 AM
You seem to be coping very well.

These sort of snidely remarks just serve to head the discussion in one direction.

These things should be able to be debated on the merits or otherwise without it.

The Man U analysis is pertinent here isn’t it? That the more that Sky and others have covered this the worse it has got, so I think we can all agree it has to stop without having to agree on how that is done.

Eyrie
30-04-2021, 10:35 AM
These sort of snidely remarks just serve to head the discussion in one direction.

These things should be able to be debated on the merits or otherwise without it.

The Man U analysis is pertinent here isn’t it? That the more that Sky and others have covered this the worse it has got, so I think we can all agree it has to stop without having to agree on how that is done.

Downplaying the seriousness of the matter by saying it will mean you have to look elsewhere for the team news deserves to be called out.

The social media businesses are doing very little to crack down on the racist abusers, so several sports have announced a boycott. I have my doubts that it will be effective, but at least they're highlighting the problem. A problem that has got worse in part because the abusers have seen that no action will be taken against them by the social media businesses.

Vault Boy
30-04-2021, 10:53 AM

I think it depends on how that data was gathered. If they're collecting the information about abuse via the number of reported posts, it could be that the increase is largely down to more people bothering to report abuse when they see it. If that's a contributing factor to the figure they've published, then it's grounds to say that spotlighting the issue has helped. Again, no idea what their approach was, so I'm happy to concede that particular point if they outlined their method.

Most progressive movements have historically been met with an increase in resistance from the antagonists in each case, so I wouldn't necessarily say that means they should pack it in. By no means am I comparing this to the MLK era civil rights movement, or indeed any significant act of human emancipation/liberation, but it is a progressive movement nonetheless.

delbert
30-04-2021, 11:25 AM

The point is this is actually perfect for the SFA and the SPFL because it gives them the chance to say they are taking action whilst in reality doing absolutely nothing, exactly the same as they have done over religious bigotry and abuse for over a century, at least they are consistent !

Bishop Hibee
30-04-2021, 11:34 AM
If it pushes Twitter in particular to have a verification process for accounts then good. Racist cowards should not be able to hide behind anonymity.

lyonhibs
30-04-2021, 11:37 AM
An exercise in tokenism if ever there was one. No long term difference will be made here but obviously Hibs have to take part for image/reputational reasons. If all the clubs had said "enough is enough, we're making a donation/partnership/education program in the community to combat racism, here are the details" that would be a lot more newsworthy.

This is a communal slap on the back exercise.

jacomo
30-04-2021, 11:42 AM

That’s just another version of victim blaming imo.

Those drawing attention to this problem are not the ones responsible.

loanheadhibby
30-04-2021, 11:47 AM
We will have to go back to the old fashioned way of listening to the radio for the line ups.

I remember going to games in the 90s with my dad and we would listen to the radio in the car waiting for the line ups and guessing who would be right. Take me back to the olden days would be great!

I was speaking to a friend during the Motherwell game and asked him if he was watching on Premier. Nah, I am listening on the Tranny was his retort!! I miss the days of rushing home after the game at Easter Road and waiting on the Pink News or waiting on Sportscene/Scotsport coming on to find out the results of the other games.

hibbysam
30-04-2021, 11:57 AM
If it pushes Twitter in particular to have a verification process for accounts then good. Racist cowards should not be able to hide behind anonymity.

Although this focus is on racism, the anonymity process on social media goes far deeper; predators using fake accounts to groom children, online abuse hiding behind random names, hackers/fraudsters using fake accounts, the list is endless and it’s about time there was a serious crackdown of social media regulations, starting with a verification process with ID required.

hibsbollah
30-04-2021, 11:58 AM
Although this focus is on racism, the anonymity process on social media goes far deeper; predators using fake accounts to groom children, online abuse hiding behind random names, hackers/fraudsters using fake accounts, the list is endless and it’s about time there was a serious crackdown of social media regulations, starting with a verification process with ID required.

That’s a good point.

Danderhall Hibs
30-04-2021, 12:27 PM

Totally agree. Sign up but tell us who you are first.

It might deter some of the angry mob who chuck death threats around on a daily basis as they jump aboard the next bandwagon.

McSwanky
30-04-2021, 01:03 PM

Yep. There absolutely should be some 'soft checks' (at the very least) made on social media signups. Could also be applied retrospectively to existing accounts. People can still stay anonymous to other users if they like, but any criminal behaviour should be trackable. There are some big issues with this which would need to be overcome though:

- Users would need to be happy explicitly (rather than subconsciously) providing their ID to the likes of Twitter/Facebook etc. A big stumbling block!
- How do you deal with "non-person" accounts, e.g. businesses.
- This would potentially stop all the bots as well, which I suspect is where a large amount of revenue from the likes of Twitter is generated.
- Government regulation would be required, but that needs hundreds of governments across the world to work together. That's a big one.

Bottom line, something needs done, but it's going to be a hell of a struggle to get there.

Andy74
30-04-2021, 01:15 PM
That’s just another version of victim blaming imo.

Those drawing attention to this problem are not the ones responsible.

It could be making the problem worse though. There’s a danger and I think we are seeing it in action that it becomes self perpetuating.

There was an issue in society that needed addressed. Football was part of that but football and the likes of Sky have made it such a big issue in football that I think they’ve encouraged people that weren’t getting engaged in this to do it.

Most people will see a campaign that needed to take place. Others will be getting fed up with it that they start to react against it. Others still will see it and think it is big and clever to join in too.

As another poster said earlier maybe drawing everyone out is the way ahead but only if they are dealt with.

Perhaps this is the thing that changes how social media works but I doubt it.

bigwheel
30-04-2021, 01:26 PM
It could be making the problem worse though. There’s a danger and I think we are seeing it in action that it becomes self perpetuating.

There was an issue in society that needed addressed. Football was part of that but football and the likes of Sky have made it such a big issue in football that I think they’ve encouraged people that weren’t getting engaged in this to do it.

Most people will see a campaign that needed to take place. Others will be getting fed up with it that they start to react against it. Others still will see it and think it is big and clever to join in too.

As another poster said earlier maybe drawing everyone out is the way ahead but only if they are dealt with.

Perhaps this is the thing that changes how social media works but I doubt it.

Nobody’s expecting this to change how social media works - they are just showing their solidarity with those affected...

Suggesting that football and others raising their voice on this hateful behaviour is encouraging more of it, seems a bizarre position to take....

I can’t understand why people don’t simply get behind anything that speaks out against hate ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy74
30-04-2021, 01:33 PM
Nobody’s expecting this to change how social media works - they are just showing their solidarity with those affected...

Suggesting that football and others raising their voice on this hateful behaviour is encouraging more of it, seems a bizarre position to take....

I can’t understand why people don’t simply get behind anything that speaks out against hate ..

I would hope they are expecting to create some change, otherwise there is no point.

Of course ongoing coverage can encourage more of it. That shouldn't be the case but it is. I'm not sure what else could be behind the type of increase in abuse that Man U have reported for example since 2019.

Like any campaigns, whether that be speaking out about issues or advertising, there are saturation points reached and points where you begin to have the opposite effect that you wanted.

People don't just get behind anything that is speaking out against hate because like anything there are effective ways to do it and ineffective ways to do it. That shouldn't be confused with supporting hate or not supporting speaking out about it.

hibsbollah
30-04-2021, 01:37 PM

I think a lot of the time it’s just contraryism. Just arguing the opposite point of view for the sake of it. Kind of ‘par for the course’ on the internet of course.

I’m firmly behind the players on this, who seem to be unified in wanting some protection, and I’m confident the vast majority of fans feel the same.

bigwheel
30-04-2021, 01:41 PM
I would hope they are expecting to create some change, otherwise there is no point.

Of course ongoing coverage can encourage more of it. That shouldn't be the case but it is. I'm not sure what else could be behind the type of increase in abuse that Man U have reported for example since 2019.

Like any campaigns, whether that be speaking out about issues or advertising, there are saturation points reached and points where you begin to have the opposite effect that you wanted.

People don't just get behind anything that is speaking out against hate because like anything there are effective ways to do it and ineffective ways to do it. That shouldn't be confused with supporting hate or not supporting speaking out about it.

No one with any depth of thinking on this is expecting any material change ..these actions are inbuilt into people’s DNA, no small social media process changes that. It’s about solidarity.

Tbh When I read your posts on hate or racism threads...you spend most of your time giving reasons the protest approaches don’t work ...rather than getting behind them

Change is caused by people being bold and brave with voice and actions, not by criticising support of the victims...

blackpoolhibs
30-04-2021, 01:46 PM
I think a lot of the time it’s just contraryism. Just arguing the opposite point of view for the sake of it. Kind of ‘par for the course’ on the internet of course.

I’m firmly behind the players on this, who seem to be unified in wanting some protection, and I’m confident the vast majority of fans feel the same.

I'm pretty sure we all want the people caught and jailed, and for all the abuse to stop. Yet in my opinion we seem to have some sort of cause we have to support week after week, and they are all intermingling into one and perhaps diluting the effect each case has? :dunno:

poulton hibs
30-04-2021, 01:48 PM

Brilliant, brings back memories. I forgot you had to wait for teletext to scroll through all the page numbers until it got to the one you wanted.

Andy74
30-04-2021, 01:50 PM
I'm pretty sure we all want the people caught and jailed, and for all the abuse to stop. Yet in my opinion we seem to have some sort of cause we have to support week after week, and they are all intermingling into one and perhaps diluting the effect each case has? :dunno:

Can't recall which one it was but one of the English managers said pretty much this during the week when asked about the blackout. Along the lines of football seems to have to attach itself to every cause now and whilst it is great that football has a voice and a reach and is using it that it is getting past the stage where it takes over form the football and is ultimately meaningless because they are trying to get across everything.

bigwheel
30-04-2021, 01:50 PM

Why not simply focus on things you feel are deeply wrong, and consistently stand up against them??

in this case it’s support for victims of homophobia , racism, sexism, bullying etc...anything that stands up and says “enough” on those things deserves support imho..

Andy74
30-04-2021, 01:56 PM
No one with any depth of thinking on this is expecting any material change ..these actions are inbuilt into people’s DNA, no small social media process changes that. It’s about solidarity.

Tbh When I read your posts on hate or racism threads...you spend most of your time giving reasons the protest approaches don’t work ...rather than getting behind them

Change is caused by people being bold and brave with voice and actions, not by criticising support of the victims...

I tend to comment on the approaches that I don't think are going to be effective - or have stopped being effective.

Change has to be created by being far more thoughtful and focused on actions and actions that will work.

I'm not sure the likes of Sky are being bold and brave - they have made a commercial decision which they think will work for them. I do think though that when you watch Sky Sports News now that sport is very secondary to all the campaigns and causes. That's okay for a time but it will absolutely turn people away from those causes and is, in my view anyway, creating an environment where more and more abuse is likely to happen.

We want it to stop, not for it to be perpetuated.

EdinMike
30-04-2021, 02:02 PM

No Bamboozle ! No Thanks !

bigwheel
30-04-2021, 02:12 PM
I tend to comment on the approaches that I don't think are going to be effective - or have stopped being effective.

Change has to be created by being far more thoughtful and focused on actions and actions that will work.

I'm not sure the likes of Sky are being bold and brave - they have made a commercial decision which they think will work for them. I do think though that when you watch Sky Sports News now that sport is very secondary to all the campaigns and causes. That's okay for a time but it will absolutely turn people away from those causes and is, in my view anyway, creating an environment where more and more abuse is likely to happen.

We want it to stop, not for it to be perpetuated.

I don’t share your view that standing up to hate, will cause more people to hate. It just feels like to are deliberately being obtuse on it ..

As I said , it’s noticeable on these threads that your constant focus is on whether these things work or not, rather than than discussing your empathy for the victims.

Keith_M
30-04-2021, 02:13 PM
I just read the interview with Marvin Bartley and his stated aim was to force the Social Media platforms to change their policies on racist comments online by bringing attention to them with this Social Media blackout.

Apparently somebody used the 'N' word in a message to him on Twitter and, when he complained, he was told that wasn't covered by their policies, which sounds totally ridiculous.

He didn't claim that this action would end racism, but just wanted to reduce the platforms on which they can spew out their hatred.

Weigh that up against the inconvenience of not hearing a few tweets from your favourite club, or a bit of a delay in hearing the team line-up, and it's a bit of a no-brainer, surely.

:dunno:

hibsbollah
30-04-2021, 02:22 PM

I don’t think anyone’s saying we ‘have to’ support it, nobody’s forcing you to agree with Marvin Bartley, or the Motherwell players, or that female pundit who’s getting rape threats. Personally I’m behind it, Twitter and Facebook have been inactive in relation to this problem for a long long time. They’ve even stopped wheeling out the odious Nick Clegg to do their PR in the media.

green day
30-04-2021, 02:27 PM
Frankly I wish our twitter admin had done a blackout a few weeks ago.............

lyonhibs
30-04-2021, 02:29 PM
I don’t share your view that standing up to hate, will cause more people to hate. It just feels like to are deliberately being obtuse on it ..

As I said , it’s noticeable on these threads that your constant focus is on whether these things work or not, rather than than discussing your empathy for the victims.

It might be argued that meaningful empathy with the victims would take the form of something rather more impactful on the causes or consequences of racism. A social media blackout, and indeed going on about supporting a social media blackout, is not really empathetic with the victims of racism (or domestic violence or whatever it may be) IMO

McSwanky
30-04-2021, 02:43 PM
No Bamboozle ! No Thanks !

How does this grab you?

http://www.digitextsim.com/452/

:greengrin

worcesterhibby
30-04-2021, 02:44 PM
I just wish they had decided to do this the weekend that Rangers clinched the title...would have been hilarious.

MWHIBBIES
30-04-2021, 02:50 PM
My only gripe is why we've taken so long to take action. Songs about Alan Stubbs having cancer and sectarianism directed at Neil lennon have seen our club do nothing. My one real gripe at the club over the past 6/7 years was not kicking up a real fuss in defence of our employees. We still let that **** Gary Mckay into our ground despite him racially abusing an employee in Kevin Harper.

blackpoolhibs
30-04-2021, 02:50 PM
Why not simply focus on things you feel are deeply wrong, and consistently stand up against them??

in this case it’s support for victims of homophobia , racism, sexism, bullying etc...anything that stands up and says “enough” on those things deserves support imho..

I think i care about many of the issues we see in the world today, but to be perfectly honest here, i cant think of any that would get me off my erse out protesting for or against them.

Lazy, probably, honest, yes.

Although when i see these marches for this cause or that cause, they all seem to end up in a right good punch up with the police.

To be honest, i just dont get worked up much these days unless it's Hibs. :greengrin

Allez Hibs
30-04-2021, 02:54 PM
Did anyone see the bizarre posts on twitter from Hibs today?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-troll-hibs-twitter-put-24013773

SteveHFC
30-04-2021, 02:54 PM

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-troll-hibs-twitter-put-24013773

The admin should be sacked for that alone.

green day
30-04-2021, 03:20 PM

I have mentioned it on the KP thread - some people think i was over reacting - but I agree with your assessment.

Hibs90
30-04-2021, 03:28 PM

So we've had the Prince Phillip tweet...rightly or wrongly it went down horribly.
The "Glasgow Rangers Champions" tweet
And now this..

The new admin is at it

Heisenberg
30-04-2021, 03:30 PM

They are currently hiring for a new one. Whoever is doing it just now isn’t long term.

green day
30-04-2021, 03:32 PM
So we've had the Prince Phillip tweet...rightly or wrongly it went down horribly.
And now this..

The new admin is at it

I have already complained to KP. I would encourage more to do this as there is no other way for us to get our collective voice heard on this.

Someone on the PM board has noted that the new people on social are a journalist from Dundee and an English based media person......................

Allez Hibs
30-04-2021, 03:44 PM
A number of the Hibs Social Media posts this season have been cringey to say the least.

ian cruise
30-04-2021, 03:48 PM
Downplaying the seriousness of the matter by saying it will mean you have to look elsewhere for the team news deserves to be called out.

The social media businesses are doing very little to crack down on the racist abusers, so several sports have announced a boycott. I have my doubts that it will be effective, but at least they're highlighting the problem. A problem that has got worse in part because the abusers have seen that no action will be taken against them by the social media businesses.

Social media providers do so little they're complicit in the behaviour of those using the platforms for abuse. I've reported many blatant racist or bullying comments online and received the "this does not breach our community guidelines, we're sorry if you were offended" response.

Hopefully this activity causes more people to start calling out those spreading abuse online and reporting comments and posts instead of scrolling past, it's only when enough people complain that the people running the platforms might take notice.

lyonhibs
30-04-2021, 03:57 PM
And now this..

The new admin is at it

We can't collectively claim to be "over" 5-1 and say its now merely a Jambo comfort blanket but then complain and talk about sackings when some mild social media banter emerges. I also have no idea about the Prince Philip tweet, but if we simply said RIP and the Twittersphere reacted badly, that says far more about the Twats on Twitter than it does about Hibs' social media team.

hibbysam
30-04-2021, 04:34 PM
Yep. There absolutely should be some 'soft checks' (at the very least) made on social media signups. Could also be applied retrospectively to existing accounts. People can still stay anonymous to other users if they like, but any criminal behaviour should be trackable. There are some big issues with this which would need to be overcome though:

- Users would need to be happy explicitly (rather than subconsciously) providing their ID to the likes of Twitter/Facebook etc. A big stumbling block!
- This would potentially stop all the bots as well, which I suspect is where a large amount of revenue from the likes of Twitter is generated.
- Government regulation would be required, but that needs hundreds of governments across the world to work together. That's a big one.

Bottom line, something needs done, but it's going to be a hell of a struggle to get there.

- That would be the choice they make, either give ID like they would for a lot of other things (bookies etc) or you don’t get to use it.
- businesses are still run by people. Business can have their page, but the posts should be linked to a persons account, ie me and you run a business, if I make a post it’s traceable to me. Already happens with me from my amateur football teams page, shows posts were made by me.

CMurdoch
30-04-2021, 04:55 PM
We can't collectively claim to be "over" 5-1 and say its now merely a Jambo comfort blanket but then complain and talk about sackings when some mild social media banter emerges. I also have no idea about the Prince Philip tweet, but if we simply said RIP and the Twittersphere reacted badly, that says far more about the Twats on Twitter than it does about Hibs' social media team.

I must agree having searched thoroughly for, but being unable to find any ****s to give regarding this matter. However, in the process I did find out that we have now sold 4,000 season tickets which is great.

CMurdoch
30-04-2021, 05:18 PM

Good post.
Not as easy as folk think to sort this without it costing money to social media companies and football clubs and if there is one thing those businesses care about it is money. The tipping point can only be reached when loss of revenue to social media companies exceeds the cost of compliance. There will be only lip service but no real change until that point is reached.

Greenbeard
30-04-2021, 05:30 PM
Good post.
Not as easy as folk think to sort this without it costing money to social media companies and football clubs and if there is one thing those businesses care about it is money. The tipping point can only be reached when loss of revenue to social media companies exceeds the cost of compliance. There will be only lip service but no real change until that point is reached.
Ah, now that you point that out I can see why they should be allowed to continue to facilitate online abuse. :violin:

Mick O'Rourke
30-04-2021, 05:47 PM
My only gripe is why we've taken so long to take action. Songs about Alan Stubbs having cancer and sectarianism directed at Neil lennon have seen our club do nothing. My one real gripe at the club over the past 6/7 years was not kicking up a real fuss in defence of our employees. We still let that **** Gary Mckay into our ground despite him racially abusing an employee in Kevin Harper.
Hear ! Hear !

Sickening that the abuse you cite was ignored by those, that if they had the will, could have done something about it.

If authorities wont take action,maybe players should, as we have seen recently.
Sectarian abuse towards our previous managers from thousands at Ibrox and Hampden (2016) falls on deaf ears.

Yet those in power pat themselves on the back,taking credit for the current pre match observance on racism.

They need to be more vocal and also call out all forms of abuse, including anti Catholic abuse.

Police Scotland as well.
They scoured the land for eighteen months ,locating folk who ran on the park at Hampden to celebrate a cup win.
How many doors did they chap to charge someone for sectarianism?

matty_f
30-04-2021, 05:57 PM

:agree:

I saw the tweet earlier and thought either the Hibs Twitter gadgie hadn’t thought it through, or it was a massive power play to show how little of a **** we give about it.

I’d have kept it up.

HFC_NYC
30-04-2021, 06:02 PM
The sad fact is that Twitter, Facebook et al actually encourage racist/sexist behavior as controversy is good for business. Take this week for example, somebody at Twitter (not an algorithm) actually pushed the hashtag, #UncleTim to trend following the Republican's rebuttal to Biden's address. The rebuttal was given by Senator Tim Scott who happens to be a black conservative and the hashtag was of course, a play on the racist term, Uncle Tom. Twitter allowed this to trend for eleven hours before finally pulling it, so don't expect this weekend's social media blackout to make a blind bit of difference.

Smartie
30-04-2021, 06:24 PM
With social media etc you need the people doing it to be able to "read a room".

I'm not sure this is an easy thing for a non-supporter to pick up quickly, irrespective of their cv.

There are all sorts of quirks and nuances about Hibs, their support and communication that need to be navigated, and I'm a bit concerned at how hopeless we are at it at the moment.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, and for me the good-natured tit for tat business today about the 5-1 is social media at it's best. We were pish and were called out on it by our biggest rivals.

Someone somewhere needs to be asking though - what exactly are we hoping to achieve with our comms? Are we all agreed that we've dropped the ball a few times in recent weeks? And what, exactly, are we going to do about it?

lord bunberry
30-04-2021, 06:49 PM
I agree with you in principle, but the fact that we then deleted the tweet and they posted a screenshot of the deleted tweet makes us look stupid. I couldn’t give a **** about 5-1 it happened but we’ve went on to bigger and better things since that day. They are a shambles of a club that are at war with the manager and the owner, we’re going for third place and another Scottish cup .

Viva_Palmeiras
30-04-2021, 06:57 PM
Amongst all this

We need to talk about Tracey....

Our elected supporters Rep that resigned because of abuse from (apparently)
fellow Hibs “fans”.

She has tweeted about this. This problem is wider than football and racism it’s about behaviours that ethical-minded organisations would do something about.

Amnesty international did a study on the treatment of women on social media and the continued inaction taken by social media companies - including Twitter - who whilst acknowledging the issue have merely paid lips service to it over the years.

Social media need to tackle this effectively and decisively from now. They have however through neglect created a monster and a pile of money of the back of it. For them ethics is a county just outside London.

CMurdoch
30-04-2021, 07:02 PM
Ah, now that you point that out I can see why they should be allowed to continue to facilitate online abuse. :violin:

Whoosh!

I didn't say they should be allowed to facilitate online abuse. What I said is they won't address the issue unless they are legally required to do so or there is an economic reason to do so.
This is not a new issue and the social media companies response has always been to issue lip service statements and kick the can down the road.

Andy74
30-04-2021, 07:12 PM
With social media etc you need the people doing it to be able to "read a room".

I'm not sure this is an easy thing for a non-supporter to pick up quickly, irrespective of their cv.

There are all sorts of quirks and nuances about Hibs, their support and communication that need to be navigated, and I'm a bit concerned at how hopeless we are at it at the moment.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, and for me the good-natured tit for tat business today about the 5-1 is social media at it's best. We were pish and were called out on it by our biggest rivals.

Someone somewhere needs to be asking though - what exactly are we hoping to achieve with our comms? Are we all agreed that we've dropped the ball a few times in recent weeks? And what, exactly, are we going to do about it?

Yeah, agree.

jacomo
30-04-2021, 07:29 PM

Both storms in thimbles, imo.

CapitalGreen
30-04-2021, 07:52 PM
The sad fact is that Twitter, Facebook et al actually encourage racist/sexist behavior as controversy is good for business.

The length of time it took them to ban your favourite ex-president Donald Trump is another example of this.

lord bunberry
30-04-2021, 07:53 PM
The length of time it took them to ban your favourite ex-president Donald Trump is another example of this.
:top marks

WhileTheChief..
30-04-2021, 08:44 PM
That’s a good point.

On the Netflix doc about social media I’m sure they said a ridiculously high % of accounts were bots or fakes.

Can’t remember but I think it might have been 80% or so. Crazy.

WeeRussell
30-04-2021, 09:33 PM

Andy - Couldn’t there be other reasons for the increase in social media abused since 2019 rather than simply blaming the campaigns that are trying to tackle it? For example, the fact people have been locked in their homes for most of the last two years and spending more time on social media than ever before - and not being able to get out and behave like bigoted bullies in their usual preferred fashion? Maybe the reporting of this has changed/increased as awareness is being raised and its being talked about?

While Jacomo and me don’t agree on every topic on this forum, I suspect his “snidey remark” was probably drawn from, as another posted alluded to, that you always seem to be arguing on the other side of positive movements, claiming just to add balance or discuss merits. You are of course free to do so, but I think people are also entitled to make a light hearted retort when you continually seem to argue against campaigns tackling racism, bullying, sexism etc.

WeeRussell
30-04-2021, 09:33 PM

👏

30-04-2021, 09:56 PM
Oh no some clown won’t be able to post some inconsequential racial slur on Twitter. This **** is as offensive as any other tokenistic anti racist pish. Force change or don’t bother. Get ****ed with this **** that entirely serves the purpose of making white people feel better about themselves.

The issue is a majority of the UK will will gleefully vote in racist governments because they ultimately don’t give a flying **** about black people.

bigwheel
30-04-2021, 10:04 PM
It might be argued that meaningful empathy with the victims would take the form of something rather more impactful on the causes or consequences of racism. A social media blackout, and indeed going on about supporting a social media blackout, is not really empathetic with the victims of racism (or domestic violence or whatever it may be) IMO

So, if I get you right...your argument is that a social media blackout in support of victims of bullying, racism, sexism, homophobia etc...isn’t showing empathy towards them....yeah right - you’ve nailed that point ..... [emoji102]

WeeRussell
30-04-2021, 10:06 PM
Oh no some clown won’t be able to post some inconsequential racial slur on Twitter. This **** is as offensive as any other tokenistic anti racist pish. Force change or don’t bother. Get ****ed with this **** that entirely serves the purpose of making white people feel better about themselves.

The issue is a majority of the UK will will gleefully vote in racist governments because they ultimately don’t give a flying **** about black people.

You seem quite passionate about the subject - what do you suggest as an alternative?

Lancs Harp
30-04-2021, 10:06 PM
My facebook account is a bit of a blackout the vast majority of the time to be honest. The odd pub or holiday photograph or birthday wish and thats about it for me. Social media left me behind and I cant say I'm unhappy about that. #ludite and #oldschool :wink:

Lendo
30-04-2021, 10:45 PM
What exactly was the issue with the Prince Philip tweet by the club?

Peevemor
30-04-2021, 11:53 PM
What exactly was the issue with the Prince Philip tweet by the club?That there was a tweet at all apparently.

Baader
01-05-2021, 02:52 AM

Sorry, you clearly set out to be Hibs.net's resident contrarian but it ends with you looking like our own Alan Partridge whenever wider societal issues are discussed. I do enjoy your input though.

lyonhibs
01-05-2021, 06:39 AM
So, if I get you right...your argument is that a social media blackout in support of victims of bullying, racism, sexism, homophobia etc...isn’t showing empathy towards them....yeah right - you’ve nailed that point ..... [emoji102]

No, rather that more impactful and meaningful empathy might be achieved in other ways but the clubs and FA etc will do this, "unite" and feel jolly good about doing so but come Monday it's business as usual and the racists will still be out there spouting their vile bollocks and I'm going to bet their victims won't be thinking "thank god there was a social media blackout at the weekend"

Greenbeard
01-05-2021, 06:44 AM
Whoosh!

I didn't say they should be allowed to facilitate online abuse. What I said is they won't address the issue unless they are legally required to do so or there is an economic reason to do so.
This is not a new issue and the social media companies response has always been to issue lip service statements and kick the can down the road.
Whoosh back!

bigwheel
01-05-2021, 06:54 AM
No, rather that more impactful and meaningful empathy might be achieved in other ways but the clubs and FA etc will do this, "unite" and feel jolly good about doing so but come Monday it's business as usual and the racists will still be out there spouting their vile bollocks and I'm going to bet their victims won't be thinking "thank god there was a social media blackout at the weekend"

Meaningful empathy ?? What does that term even mean in this context - are you suggesting there is no genuine empathy behind the social media blackout ? Have you actually sat back and thought about that? Do you really believe that - if not, why are you contriving such a view?

There is nothing negative about the social media actions this weekend - zero . It’s not expecting to change the world on this , it is simply saying “enough is enough”..making a point ..perhaps asking people to think about it . It’s not an action that is seeking to be a defining moment . People realise this is a deep rooted social issue and will take time and significant change of behaviour to address.

what can you or anyone have against this show of solidarity this weekend? It’s a genuine question - because, I am stumped for an answer.

blackpoolhibs
01-05-2021, 06:57 AM
Has the media blackout affected anyone, i've not noticed any difference? :confused:

Lancs Harp
01-05-2021, 07:02 AM
Has the media blackout affected anyone, i've not noticed any difference? :confused:

Surely its just about highlighting the issue, I dont think anyone is expecting the issue to disappear because of it. Personally speaking I not sure anything on social media would make any difference to me I simply dont use it enough.

bigwheel
01-05-2021, 07:04 AM

People won’t be affected much, if at all, BH.

it’s about stuff like this - getting people to think and talk about the issue..

blackpoolhibs
01-05-2021, 07:06 AM
Surely its just about highlighting the issue, I dont think anyone is expecting the issue to disappear because of it. Personally speaking I not sure anything on social media would make any difference to me I simply dont use it enough.

People won’t be affected much, if at all, BH.

it’s about stuff like this - getting people to think and talk about the issue..

I understand it is about getting people to talk about this, but for me it's like taking the knee, or rainbow laces, it will all be forgotten in a few weeks.

Talk is cheap, unless action is done we will all be doing the exact same thing next year.

mjhibby
01-05-2021, 07:13 AM
While I’m sure the idea of the blackout is well intentioned it does have the look and feel of gesture politics. In other words being seen to do something while merely ticking the belly of the problem. I’m not decrying the thought behind it there seems little doubt it won’t lead to any meaningful change unless it hits the companies in the pocket. What makes it worse is we now have folk arguing for and against the merits of the blackout.
I’m sure we all agree something has to change but lambasting those who point out this weekend won’t change much doesn’t help. I’m sure if we had the same united effort as behind stopping the euro super league then there would be a change. This is a small start but is miles off tackling this abhorrent problem.
To my eyes the issues are getting worse and it will need radical change to tackle it.

bigwheel
01-05-2021, 07:14 AM
I understand it is about getting people to talk about this, but for me it's like taking the knee, or rainbow laces, it will all be forgotten in a few weeks.

Talk is cheap, unless action is done we will all be doing the exact same thing next year.

Sure, but there isn’t a single action that will change this ..it will be the culmination of 1000s of small actions that ultimately can start to drive these things to be socially unacceptable..

It’s a long journey to real change. Any positive action should be supported and encouraged.

blackpoolhibs
01-05-2021, 07:18 AM
Sure, but there isn’t a single action that will change this ..it will be the culmination of 1000s of small actions that ultimately can start to drive these things to be socially unacceptable..

It’s a long journey to real change. Any positive action should be supported and encouraged.

If government's made these company's accountable, they could make a huge change in a single action. Threaten to close them down if they don't get their house in order within 3 months.

That would make as much change as a million small actions that nobody really takes any notice of, and has no power individually.

bigwheel
01-05-2021, 07:26 AM
If government's made these company's accountable, they could make a huge change in a single action. Threaten to close them down if they don't get their house in order within 3 months.

That would make as much change as a million small actions that nobody really takes any notice of, and has no power individually.

Would be a very important step . They have a huge role in this - and have not stepped up anywhere near .

Equally, this is actions of individuals - thinking it’s fine to bully, harass, hate from behind their keyboards ..they may just find another social route to do it. So It is also up to all of us to stand against it when we see it happen.

In the 70s drink driving was largely seen as a quirky silly thing to do..now it would be viewed as an outrageous act. We need to shift public opinion in the same way here create that sort of change here.

Pretty Boy
01-05-2021, 08:01 AM
I think the success of these campaigns or actions can't really be measured until some time after they take place. It's easy to say you are supportive of them whilst there is a bit of a bandwagon to jump on, far harder to do so when it's not front page news anymore. Like anything there will come a time when it slips of the front pages and people attention spans are distracted by something else. That's not to say there isn't a lot of people who feel passionately about being anti racist but rather that #bekind and the like have proven that for some it's easy to say, far harder to do.

Think back not so long. Before he was Hibs manager Neil Lennon spoke passionately and eloquently about the abuse he had suffered. There were people on here and a very vocal extended mob who were more than happy to victim blame. People were blinded to what the guy was saying because of who his employer was (and perhaps because the abuse he was suffering is so ingrained in Scottish society that we just don't recognise it as the problem it is). A guy getting bullets through the post and responses along the lines of 'he doesn't help himself' and 'it never happened to Martin O'Neill' were far from uncommon. Even as Hibs manager when he spoke about anti Irish racism some people were more interested in debating the technicalities of the term rather than acknowledging the point he was making. The silence from the club was deafening.

Going silent on social media as part of a wider campaign is a good move from Hibs in that it shows solidarity with a wider movement. How do you go beyond that and ensure it isn't just tokenism though? If Rangers fans pitch up at ER next season calling Jack Ross a fenian *******, what do we do? Do our usual pretend we didn't hear it and not cause a fuss act? Go silent on social media again? Or take a stand and refuse them an allocation for the following game and kick up a fuss in public about why we are doing that? That would send a strong message and would show our commitment to being anti abuse was worth more than £100K. The same goes for our own fans. You say something racist, sectarian, xenophobic on our social media platforms then you are blocked and action is taken regarding your attendance at games.

I applaud Hibs for taking part in this. No one else is going to solve the problems the campaign is aiming to highlight though. It starts on our own doorstep and we can take the 1st steps to addressing the small part of the problem that we can.

CapitalGreen
01-05-2021, 08:19 AM
Sorry, you clearly set out to be Hibs.net's resident contrarian but it ends with you looking like our own Alan Partridge whenever wider societal issues are discussed. I do enjoy your input though.

hahahaha

CapitalGreen
01-05-2021, 08:20 AM

Government action is more likely when an issue becomes a greater part of the public discourse. Actions such as these make that more likely.

Do you think the the government would have got involved with threatening the creation of the Super League without the Public outcry on social media and protests at grounds?

King Cosell
01-05-2021, 08:37 AM
Hibs Twitter usually posts team line-up just before 2pm, where will we get it today?

CropleyWasGod
01-05-2021, 08:45 AM
Hibs Twitter usually posts team line-up just before 2pm, where will we get it today?

The BBC

Keith_M
01-05-2021, 08:46 AM

The DotNet Matchday Thread

The official Hibs website

BBC Sport website.

Hibs TV / Hibspass

I'm sure there are others

calumhibee1
01-05-2021, 08:47 AM

😂

mjhibby
01-05-2021, 08:48 AM
I find it very strange that nothing is spoken re the horrendous sectarianism that pervades Scottish society bar on forums like ours. The elephant in the room. If we are going to stamp out hatred it must be all forms not just what the current campaign is. It will be interesting to see what happens when crowds are back. Nothing I suspect.

hibsbollah
01-05-2021, 08:54 AM

Monks keep a lid on it because they think that God likes it. Who am I to tell them any different?

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2021, 08:57 AM

Any live score website and on the stream when it goes live.

blackpoolhibs
01-05-2021, 09:01 AM
Government action is more likely when an issue becomes a greater part of the public discourse. Actions such as these make that more likely.

Do you think the the government would have got involved with threatening the creation of the Super League without the Public outcry on social media and protests at grounds?

I agree, but what is more important here rich football clubs or racism?

The government went straight in and said what they'd do to stop this, they even said laws would be changed.

Boris could make these company's take action, but like all the other good causes, it's just talk.

There has to be action from the top for this to take off properly, but as usual it's just waffle and tokenism for a few weeks.

Things might change over time, but they have the power to do something properly now.

Right is right, and wrong is wrong, why the dragging of heels?

CapitalGreen
01-05-2021, 09:22 AM
I agree, but what is more important here rich football clubs or racism?

The government went straight in and said what they'd do to stop this, they even said laws would be changed.

Boris could make these company's take action, but like all the other good causes, it's just talk.

There has to be action from the top for this to take off properly, but as usual it's just waffle and tokenism for a few weeks.

Things might change over time, but they have the power to do something properly now.

Right is right, and wrong is wrong, why the dragging of heels?

I doubt you’ll get much argument against the idea that governments could and should be doing much more on this issue. Unfortunately, this Westminster government isn’t likely to do anything about it off their own backs and in some cases have have actively suppressed the suggestion that racism is an issue in parts of our society so unfortunately more public pressure is required.

WeeRussell
01-05-2021, 09:29 AM
Still don’t understand people pretending to be upset because it should be the government etc taking action rather than these campaigns.

Everyone bar none supporting these campaigns want action taken from the top. Campaigns like this are aimed at making people, including those in government, take notice and do something about it.

It’s really not difficult.

It’s the same type of people that had a go at Marcus Rashford when he started his campaigning.

Andy74
01-05-2021, 09:37 AM

Interesting thread to be making personal remarks about someone just for discussing their views. I’m sure we can manage without that?

I’m not sure I should have to spell it out but I’m absolutely in favour of action needing to be taken - just don’t always agree that the right actions are being taken or for the right reasons.

CMurdoch
01-05-2021, 11:20 AM
I find it very strange that nothing is spoken re the horrendous sectarianism that pervades Scottish society bar on forums like ours. The elephant in the room. If we are going to stamp out hatred it must be all forms not just what the current campaign is. It will be interesting to see what happens when crowds are back. Nothing I suspect.

It doesn't pervade Scottish Society. At worst it pervades the West of Scotland. I have lived for over 60 years in other parts of Scotland and if I wasn't so interested in football It wouldn't be something I ever experienced.

It should be removed from Scottish football. However, neither the SPFL, which is the clubs, nor the clubs themseves are willing to upset the cash cow in any way. The Scottish Government are reluctant to legislate again after the last effort was repealed after fans complained vigourously about being criminalised by it etc. As ever one man's floor is another man's ceiling so one group or another will always be complaining that legislation is infringing some right or other.

Can't see Hibs players walking off the pitch next season because Rangers supporters are singing their usual songs or Ron Gordon banning Rangers fans from Easter Road for singing the songs. Money has always been the No.1 driver. No chance that will change under Ron and sectarian singing will remain until it does.
It's a Hibs supporters trope but not enough folk have ever cared enough to take it further than moaning and the club have in truth never been that bothered.

Pretty Boy
01-05-2021, 11:38 AM
It doesn't pervade Scottish Society. At worst it pervades the West of Scotland. I have lived for over 60 years in other parts of Scotland and if I wasn't so interested in football It wouldn't be something I ever experienced.

It should be removed from Scottish football. However, neither the SPFL, which is the clubs, nor the clubs themseves are willing to upset the cash cow in any way. The Scottish Government are reluctant to legislate again after the last effort was repealed after fans complained vigourously about being criminalised by it etc. As ever one man's floor is another man's ceiling so one group or another will always be complaining that legislation is infringing some right or other.

Can't see Hibs players walking off the pitch next season because Rangers supporters are singing their usual songs or Ron Gordon banning Rangers fans from Easter Road for singing the songs. Money has always been the No.1 driver. No chance that will change under Ron and sectarian singing will remain until it does.
It's a Hibs supporters trope but not enough folk have ever cared enough to take it further than moaning and the club have in truth never been that bothered.

Or it does exist as an ongoing undercurrent in Scotland but it's so normalised the press simply don't report it so it flies under the radar.

Last weekend a St Johnstone photographer was the subject of sectarian abuse at Ibrox whilst celebrating their equaliser. 'Are you having a ****ing orgasm ya fenian ****' was the shout, recorded for posterity loud and clear. How many papers mentioned it? How often was it discussed on the radio or TV? That comment had to come from a Rangers employee or someone sub contracted to work for Rangers but almost no one heard about it. Change one word in that outburst and the reaction would have been entirely different. That's telling. When Stevie Clarke spoke out about it we had Derek Ferguson on Sportsound rambling on about 'Dutch connections' and 'Catholic schools'. No one was brave enough to go in hard on that nonsense. As I've already said Neil Lennon, and to a lesser extent Aiden McGeady, are 2 glaringly obvious examples of victim blaming rather than accepting and addressing the issue.

In wider societal terms a fraternal group that excludes people on the basis of their religious beliefs openly marches through our streets every summer and it raises minimal comment. It's normalised. In more local terms the Priest from the church I attend has seen his car targeted for vandalism 3 times in the last 12 months. On each occasion no other cars in the street have been touched. It might be totally random and unlucky but I'm not much of a believer in coincidences.

Maybe the current climate should be the catalyst for people to demand change to this bizarre normalisation of bigotry within Scottish society, particularly in the sphere of football. I won't hold my breath though because as you have said the commitment to tackling all forms of prejudice isn't worth actually losing any money.

superfurryhibby
01-05-2021, 11:54 AM

If you include Lanarkshire, West Lothian, Fife and the Central belt as the west of Scotland, then aye, you’re right :confused:

I agree that legislative approaches are a challenge. Surely the best approach is to enforce current laws. Football’s governing bodies could make a start by condemning sectarian singing at football matches, I’ll not hold my breath waiting for that to happen though.

I would disagree that Hibs have never been bothered about sectarian singing at ER. The late Tom Hart was vocal in his condemnation of Hibs fans and the pro IRA singing which was a common feature of games v the Hun in the 70’s ( and continued well into the 80’s).

Pressure should be applied to clubs where bigotry is a regular part of their fan culture. Doing nothing should not be an option going forward. Of course the SPFL aren’t going to vote for sanctions. Who should drive change is a big question that needs answere.

BoomtownHibees
01-05-2021, 12:03 PM
Andy - Couldn’t there be other reasons for the increase in social media abused since 2019 rather than simply blaming the campaigns that are trying to tackle it? For example, the fact people have been locked in their homes for most of the last two years and spending more time on social media than ever before - and not being able to get out and behave like bigoted bullies in their usual preferred fashion? Maybe the reporting of this has changed/increased as awareness is being raised and its being talked about?

Locked at home for 2 years 😳

ekhibee
01-05-2021, 12:04 PM
While I’m sure the idea of the blackout is well intentioned it does have the look and feel of gesture politics. In other words being seen to do something while merely ticking the belly of the problem. I’m not decrying the thought behind it there seems little doubt it won’t lead to any meaningful change unless it hits the companies in the pocket. What makes it worse is we now have folk arguing for and against the merits of the blackout.
I’m sure we all agree something has to change but lambasting those who point out this weekend won’t change much doesn’t help. I’m sure if we had the same united effort as behind stopping the euro super league then there would be a change. This is a small start but is miles off tackling this abhorrent problem.
To my eyes the issues are getting worse and it will need radical change to tackle it.

All of your points are well made and valid, but the problem for me is that most people just talk about it, say how bad it is, even debate it, but other than that nothing is done. Everybody can talk and critisize the behaviour of racists, chauvinists etc, and lots of people do, but that's not nearly enough, there should be stonger legislation and far stronger enforcement of it too. Unfortunately, like so many others, I don't have a clear suggestion of a way forward but any substantial steps taken to wipe out this disease will get my full support.

Gatecrasher
01-05-2021, 12:16 PM

I'm just happy I'm not getting that ***** betting app spammed on my timeliness every 30 mins.

Dalianwanda
01-05-2021, 12:36 PM

This is action though..What else would you recommend clubs do?

CMurdoch
01-05-2021, 12:50 PM
Or it does exist as an ongoing undercurrent in Scotland but it's so normalised the press simply don't report it so it flies under the radar.

Last weekend a St Johnstone photographer was the subject of sectarian abuse at Ibrox whilst celebrating their equaliser. 'Are you having a ****ing orgasm ya fenian ****' was the shout, recorded for posterity loud and clear. How many papers mentioned it? How often was it discussed on the radio or TV? That comment had to come from a Rangers employee or someone sub contracted to work for Rangers but almost no one heard about it. Change one word in that outburst and the reaction would have been entirely different. That's telling. When Stevie Clarke spoke out about it we had Derek Ferguson on Sportsound rambling on about 'Dutch connections' and 'Catholic schools'. No one was brave enough to go in hard on that nonsense. As I've already said Neil Lennon, and to a lesser extent Aiden McGeady, are 2 glaringly obvious examples of victim blaming rather than accepting and addressing the issue.

In wider societal terms a fraternal group that excludes people on the basis of their religious beliefs openly marches through our streets every summer and it raises minimal comment. It's normalised. In more local terms the Priest from the church I attend has seen his car targeted for vandalism 3 times in the last 12 months. On each occasion no other cars in the street have been touched. It might be totally random and unlucky but I'm not much of a believer in coincidences.

Maybe the current climate should be the catalyst for people to demand change to this bizarre normalisation of bigotry within Scottish society, particularly in the sphere of football. I won't hold my breath though because as you have said the commitment to tackling all forms of prejudice isn't worth actually losing any money.

As we have seen in the last 14 months not even tackling death is worth losing money for!
Money is what business people really care about and losing it really gets them losing their **** .

Tommy75
01-05-2021, 12:57 PM

Have a social media blackout indefinitely until change is implemented?

CMurdoch
01-05-2021, 01:09 PM

A social media blackout from all clubs and players until the social media companies make the necessary changes or agree a timetable of change.
However, this action would lose clubs and players money so unlikely to happen.

Money or racism. What is most important to the clubs and players?

Fly in the ointment is that social media firms are multi national so to force change might require a boycott buy in from the big European league players and clubs.

* Beaten to it by Tommy

tamig
01-05-2021, 01:30 PM
If you include Lanarkshire, West Lothian, Fife and the Central belt as the west of Scotland, then aye, you’re right :confused:

I agree that legislative approaches are a challenge. Surely the best approach is to enforce current laws. Football’s governing bodies could make a start by condemning sectarian singing at football matches, I’ll not hold my breath waiting for that to happen though.

I would disagree that Hibs have never been bothered about sectarian singing at ER. The late Tom Hart was vocal in his condemnation of Hibs fans and the pro IRA singing which was a common feature of games v the Hun in the 70’s ( and continued well into the 80’s).

Pressure should be applied to clubs where bigotry is a regular part of their fan culture. Doing nothing should not be an option going forward. Of course the SPFL aren’t going to vote for sanctions. Who should drive change is a big question that needs answere.

You can add East Lothian to the list as well (if not covered by the Central Belt).

blackpoolhibs
01-05-2021, 04:52 PM

I'm not recommending the club do anything, the club can do what they think fit, it's governments that need to do more, but they dont.

matty_f
01-05-2021, 05:12 PM
Tell you what, the message still hasn't got through to folk - still seeing club staff getting tagged on Twitter with abuse from folk. What's the need? We're all frustrated, but folk need to understand that even if they think someone's a **** or a ****** or whatever, they don't HAVE to tweet the person to tell them.

CMurdoch
01-05-2021, 05:18 PM
Tell you what, the message still hasn't got through to folk - still seeing club staff getting tagged on Twitter with abuse from folk. What's the need? We're all frustrated, but folk need to understand that even if they think someone's a **** or a ****** or whatever, they don't HAVE to tweet the person to tell them.

You can't get a message to entitled hateful thicko's

Keith_M
01-05-2021, 05:56 PM

You can't get a message to entitled hateful thicko's

That's the problem right there, and is why I think certain forms of Social Media are probably best avoided.

hibsbollah
01-05-2021, 05:58 PM
That's the problem right there, and is why I think certain forms of Social Media are probably best avoided.

I’ve been off Twitter for a year( except to find occasional links to other media), and I’m much happier for it. I get all the hatred and sarcastic moaning i need at home :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
01-05-2021, 05:58 PM
I’ve been off Twitter for a year( except to find occasional links to other media), and I’m much happier for it. I get all the hatred and sarcastic moaning i need at home :greengrin

I’ve done 6 months - life is so much better for it. If I want grief I just post an opinion on here.

Keith_M
01-05-2021, 05:59 PM

Same here

:greengrin

Keith_M
01-05-2021, 06:00 PM
I’ve done 6 months - life is so much better for it. If I want grief I just post an opinion on here.

That's because you only ever post a load of *****...

You're welcome

:devil:

Billy Whizz
01-05-2021, 06:01 PM

I’ve got a Twitter account and I only follow Hibs, mainly use it on matchday, as it’s usually 1st with the team news
Never sent a tweet, and never intend doing either

Danderhall Hibs
01-05-2021, 06:02 PM
That's because you only ever post a load of *****...

You're welcome

:devil:

Thanks mate - that’s probably the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me.

Eyrie
01-05-2021, 06:16 PM

If the club can identify them, it should give them a short term ban from Easter Road. If they do it again, a longer ban. And a third offence equals a life ban.

hibsbollah
02-05-2021, 05:06 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/01/karen-carney-reveals-abuse-on-social-media-led-her-to-suicidal-thoughts

Mr. Wonderful
02-05-2021, 08:00 PM
Slightly off topic but did anyone catch the half time draw? Hibs TV stream crapped out and because of the blackout its obv not on twitter either.

Keith_M
02-05-2021, 08:01 PM
Thanks mate - that’s probably the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me.

I'm always here for you, bud

:wink:

Hannah_hfc
02-05-2021, 09:33 PM
Slightly off topic but did anyone catch the half time draw? Hibs TV stream crapped out and because of the blackout its obv not on twitter either.

From memory I think it was 26.

Hibs might be able to confirm once the social media channels are back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

London Hibs FC
03-05-2021, 01:22 PM
From memory I think it was 26.

Hibs might be able to confirm once the social media channels are back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was definitely 26 👌

Brightside
04-05-2021, 10:08 AM
Our "fans" reaction to todays tweet it typically idiotic. The internet shouldn't be allowed for a fair percentage of the population. It's a fun tweet, a bit of a laugh for supporters and people just pile in and rip it to shreds. A lot of these people are actually adults. Admin should just go on a blocking spree.

Peevemor
04-05-2021, 10:12 AM
Our "fans" reaction to todays tweet it typically idiotic. The internet shouldn't be allowed for a fair percentage of the population. It's a fun tweet, a bit of a laugh for supporters and people just pile in and rip it to shreds. A lot of these people are actually adults. Admin should just go on a blocking spree.

I've just had a look. I don't understand some fans' need to knock the club at every opportunity.

Vault Boy
04-05-2021, 10:16 AM

If you mean the Star Wars tweet then agreed, it's a rather shameful reaction from some. I'm not a fan of the movies, but I thought that part of the appeal is, to some extent, the fact that they are a bit cringey and over the top themselves? Hibs put out an equally cringey, but ultimately well edited video in the same spirit as the films and it's received like a slap to the face.

Some folk are just incessantly miserable and it's jading, the boycott was probably a welcomed relief for many who took part. Wonder what the reaction would have been like had Hibs won on Saturday.

hibsbollah
04-05-2021, 10:19 AM
I've just had a look. I don't understand some fans' need to knock the club at every opportunity.

We talked about this somewhere else, positivity or joy just doesn’t exist on social media anymore, certainly not Twitter. Having a laugh just isn’t possible.

04Sauzee
04-05-2021, 10:22 AM
Seen it, thought it was a bit of fun and it's the same idiots on every occasion that rip into the club and the social media platforms. I have no idea why if they have nothing nice or good to say to just get on with their day.

Peevemor
04-05-2021, 10:25 AM
We talked about this somewhere else, positivity or joy just doesn’t exist on social media anymore, certainly not Twitter. Having a laugh just isn’t possible.

I very rarely look on Twitter - too much guff and too much of a free for all.

SaulGoodman
04-05-2021, 10:25 AM
It’s not necessarily Hibs fault as it seems to be the “in” thing for football teams on Twitter to be funny and relatable these days.

I just follow Hibs on Twitter for news about the club, team line ups and match updates.. I couldn’t care less about some of the things we tweet in midweek tbh.

I can kind of see why people would be a bit miffed, I know we were having a media blackout at the weekend but there’s been no reaction to the game on Saturday. To some people it would look like we got beat without so much as a whimper on Saturday and as soon as the club starts tweeting again it’s to post a “funny” Star Wars themed Gogic video :hilarious

matty_f
04-05-2021, 10:34 AM
It’s not necessarily Hibs fault as it seems to be the “in” thing for football teams on Twitter to be funny and relatable these days.

I just follow Hibs on Twitter for news about the club, team line ups and match updates.. I couldn’t care less about some of the things we tweet in midweek tbh.

I can kind of see why people would be a bit miffed, I know we were having a media blackout at the weekend but there’s been no reaction to the game on Saturday. To some people it would look like we got beat without so much as a whimper on Saturday and as soon as the club starts tweeting again it’s to post a “funny” Star Wars themed Gogic video :hilarious

I think if people are upset that the club aren’t walking in the misery of a defeat, they need to grow up a bit, tbf. :greengrin

matty_f
04-05-2021, 10:36 AM

I’m not sure I agree, I think it just need to choose who you follow - the longbangers Twitter is brilliant for laughs with folk (i don’t mean the longbangers tweets are brilliant, i mean the stuff that folk send us).

Shrekko
04-05-2021, 10:48 AM

I didn’t think the tweet was that great but why these people (seems to be the same ones all the time) feel they need to express their hatred so regularly is worrying.

Seems to be the social media trend that hating your own club is much cooler than supporting and being positive about it.

hibsbollah
04-05-2021, 10:52 AM
I’m not sure I agree, I think it just need to choose who you follow - the longbangers Twitter is brilliant for laughs with folk (i don’t mean the longbangers tweets are brilliant, i mean the stuff that folk send us).

Fair enough, I suppose there are exceptions. Just seems to be a lot of nastiness in general.

04Sauzee
04-05-2021, 10:56 AM
I didn’t think the tweet was that great but why these people (seems to be the same ones all the time) feel they need to express their hatred so regularly is worrying.

Seems to be the social media trend that hating your own club is much cooler than supporting and being positive about it.

In a nutshell

McSwanky
04-05-2021, 11:17 AM
There's only 30-odd replies to that in the last hour or so, yes the vast majority are negative but that's Twitter for you. It's the equivalent of standing up in a crowded pub (remember them?) and shouting your opinion, or something you think is funny. Someone's going to disagree and shout back.

For me, it's probably another case of 'reading the room wrong.' I have to agree that I think Hibs have got the wrong person doing their feed - fans like amusing stuff, but better to keep it football related. Crossbar challenges, player quick interviews, etc. For example, I'm sure Villa fans loved John McGinn's 'chips' video as much as I did. A bit of silliness, but hits the right spots.

Star Wars mockups - not for me. And I suspect not for the majority of our fans. A bit of time and effort went into making the video I'm sure, but just a straight montage of highlights of goals v Utd (maybe with some fancy graphics and music) would have been no more effort, more fun and less controversial.

I don't know who does the Twitter stuff, but it's missing the mark IMO and setting itself up for the negative comments. As for me? I don't care enough to comment on it on Twitter. It's not embarrassing the club, but I just think they could spend their time more productively.

Keith_M
04-05-2021, 12:19 PM
I don't know who does the Twitter stuff, but it's missing the mark IMO and setting itself up for the negative comments. As for me? I don't care enough to comment on it on Twitter. It's not embarrassing the club, but I just think they could spend their time more productively.

As it's just a wee bit of fun on 'May The Fourth', aren't you the one kind of missing the mark?

Even Scotrail got in on the act at our local train station and there's been no comments about 'spending their time more productively', or whatever.

It's entirely possible for people to both do their job and have a wee bit of fun.

:rolleyes:

flash
04-05-2021, 12:33 PM
The state of the replies to practically anything Hibs ever put on social media is a great advert for selective culling of the human race.

McSwanky
04-05-2021, 12:33 PM
As it's just a wee bit of fun on 'May The Fourth', aren't you the one kind of missing the mark?

Even Scotrail got in on the act at our local train station and there's been no comments about 'spending their time more productively', or whatever.

It's entirely possible for people to both do their job and have a wee bit of fun.

Opinions, eh?

Like I say, I have no strong feelings on the matter. If you liked it, then fair enough. I didn't, and I posted my opinion above. I don't care enough to comment on it directly.

You carry on with your wee eye roll smileys if it makes you feel good about yourself. I'll continue to have an opinion if you don't mind too much. :aok:

calumhibee1
04-05-2021, 12:36 PM

I think it’s a culmination of a few of the posts recently that make it feel like they’re missing the mark.

In the last week or so they’ve inadvertently posted a 5-1 gif, they’ve made no reference to our defeat at the weekend but have posted a Star Wars montage and they wished happy birthday to the one and only Drey Wright, something which was quite obviously only going to lead to replies saying “thank **** he’s the only one” etc.

I couldn’t really care less, I don’t really pay attention to our social media feeds and have only seen about them from on here but I do think there’s certainly an element of knowing your audience missing for whoever is running it from the sounds of things.

Hibernia&Alba
04-05-2021, 12:54 PM
I think the world would be a better place if we all joined a social media blackout. I've never been on Twitter in my life, and the only time I've seen it is when someone posts a Tweet on a forum such as this. I've no idea what Instagram is, but I've heard of it. I do have a Facebook account but only use it occasionally, in order to keep in touch with a few old friends who now live abroad.

Then again, do football forums counts as social media? Got to have my Hibs fix.

calumhibee1
04-05-2021, 12:56 PM
I think the world would be a better place if we all joined a social media blackout. I've never been on Twitter in my life, and the only time I've seen it is when someone posts a Tweet on a forum such as this. I've no idea what Instagram is, but I've heard of it. I do have a Facebook account but only use it occasionally, in order to keep in touch with a few old friends who now live abroad.

Then again, do football forums counts as social media? Got to have my Hibs fix.

Instagram is actually not that bad in terms of online abuse imo although tbf I say that in comparison to Twitter and Facebook.

Twitter seems to be by far the worst.

Northernhibee
04-05-2021, 01:02 PM
I need to point out that today is the other half and my anniversary and we both hate Star Wars. The next person who asks if we meant to meet on Star Wars day or indeed makes a Star Wars reference is getting a hole punch up the nose.

McSwanky
04-05-2021, 01:05 PM
I need to point out that today is the other half and my anniversary and we both hate Star Wars. The next person who asks if we meant to meet on Star Wars day or indeed makes a Star Wars reference is getting a hole punch up the nose.

:faf:

Happy anniversary!

Peevemor
04-05-2021, 01:08 PM

I suppose some people might not even notice a hole punch up the hole...

SMAXXA
04-05-2021, 01:12 PM
The state of the replies to practically anything Hibs ever put on social media is a great advert for selective culling of the human race.

😂😂 this is brilliant and yeah I agree

Northernhibee
04-05-2021, 01:36 PM
I guess this is kind of a personal story but it worries me how much potential we could end up missing out on from people but online bullying is a scourge.

I was bullied heavily at school for two years back in the day (long hair, quite studious, stood out like a sore thumb) and I have no doubt it's affected my life to some extent. I really wanted to be a GP back when I was younger and after a while of it lost complete interest in my studies as I just wanted to get home. Did terribly in exams. Lost all self confidence, had thoughts about how things might have been easier back then if I wasn't alive and went from being a decent centre back in the school football team to putting on weight as I just wanted to stay at home and avoid other people. I did eventually go to Uni via college, but my grades only got me into something that hasn't really progressed my career at all.

It genuinely took about ten to fifteen years to rediscover what I'd consider to be "full" self confidence and belief as your teenage years are so formative to your mindset and outlook on life. I'm lucky to be doing something that I love and something I'm really good at both professionally and in terms of hobbies and activities but often feel that I'm five years behind where I need/want to be.

The main difference is that I could go home and through reading, writing, playing guitar and the like escape into my own little world for a bit. Social Media is completely insidious as it takes away that little bubble. I know for a fact that some employers will have a look through social media profiles of potential candidates and if they don't find social media profiles for someone then they'll find that suspicious. It's getting harder and harder to not have some sort of profile online and once you have that, you're reachable everywhere.

It seems an unfair thing - footballers seem to get their chances at a younger and younger age now and as people are more comfortable with dishing out the abuse online it must be a horrendous struggle for them to retain their confidence and chutzpah to develop and improve and push on whilst keeping enough of a "profile" to get themselves noticed in the right places. I do fear that in a number of fields we're going to miss out on genuine Scottish talent - whether that's sports, art, science, entreprenueurs or the like because of how much social media encroaches our privacy.

Add the toxic mentality of "you should man up" or "let it be water off a ducks back and get on with it" and it's lethal. I know it's daft, but someone at Hibs has had the idea of a Star Wars themed video as a bit of fun, spent the time and energy to create it, put it out and is now getting a whole load of ***** back for something they meant as a bit of cheer.

Hibernia&Alba
04-05-2021, 01:45 PM
I guess this is kind of a personal story but it worries me how much potential we could end up missing out on from people but online bullying is a scourge.

I was bullied heavily at school for two years back in the day (long hair, quite studious, stood out like a sore thumb) and I have no doubt it's affected my life to some extent. I really wanted to be a GP back when I was younger and after a while of it lost complete interest in my studies as I just wanted to get home. Did terribly in exams. Lost all self confidence, had thoughts about how things might have been easier back then if I wasn't alive and went from being a decent centre back in the school football team to putting on weight as I just wanted to stay at home and avoid other people. I did eventually go to Uni via college, but my grades only got me into something that hasn't really progressed my career at all.

It genuinely took about ten to fifteen years to rediscover what I'd consider to be "full" self confidence and belief as your teenage years are so formative to your mindset and outlook on life. I'm lucky to be doing something that I love and something I'm really good at both professionally and in terms of hobbies and activities but often feel that I'm five years behind where I need/want to be.

The main difference is that I could go home and through reading, writing, playing guitar and the like escape into my own little world for a bit. Social Media is completely insidious as it takes away that little bubble. I know for a fact that some employers will have a look through social media profiles of potential candidates and if they don't find social media profiles for someone then they'll find that suspicious. It's getting harder and harder to not have some sort of profile online and once you have that, you're reachable everywhere.

It seems an unfair thing - footballers seem to get their chances at a younger and younger age now and as people are more comfortable with dishing out the abuse online it must be a horrendous struggle for them to retain their confidence and chutzpah to develop and improve and push on whilst keeping enough of a "profile" to get themselves noticed in the right places. I do fear that in a number of fields we're going to miss out on genuine Scottish talent - whether that's sports, art, science, entreprenueurs or the like because of how much social media encroaches our privacy.

Add the toxic mentality of "you should man up" or "let it be water off a ducks back and get on with it" and it's lethal. I know it's daft, but someone at Hibs has had the idea of a Star Wars themed video as a bit of fun, spent the time and energy to create it, put it out and is now getting a whole load of ***** back for something they meant as a bit of cheer.

Brilliant post, mate, and many thanks for sharing your past experiences. Few things annoy me more than bullying of any kind. Kids can be cruel, of course, and I'm sure that many who bullied classmates at school feel terrible about it in adulthood. It must have been hell for you, and I'm glad you got through it.

As stated above, I don't do social media, but we've all heard the horror stories, including suicide as a result of online bullying. What's even more worrying is when the culprits are gown adults, and I can only think such people are unhappy in themselves and turn it outward towards others. I can't imagine another reason that would prompt such behaviour. However, the inner demons of the culprit don't make it any easier for the victim. It's a difficult problem to solve.

Thanks again for the post :aok:

Brightside
04-05-2021, 01:52 PM

Spot on! People are just dicks.... Force them all to have their real identities on line and then lets see how brave they all are.

Peevemor
04-05-2021, 01:54 PM

Well said.

Northernhibee
04-05-2021, 02:00 PM
Spot on! People are just dicks.... Force them all to have their real identities on line and then lets see how brave they all are.

I don't know how that could be realistically enforced or policed if I'm honest with you.

There needs to be stricter controls on social media of abusive behaviour (and not an automated system that uses algorithyms to try and find language, like Facebook uses. Just recently on a Facebook group about The Simpsons, a lassie, looked like she was in her twenties had posted something about the voice actor who voiced Apu apologising for any offence that may have been caused. Some dickhead just responded with "Woof!", clearly calling her a dog. Reported this to Facebook, who decided that it didn't go against their standards. Have done similar with racist posts and the like before too and Facebook found it to be within their standards. (Interestingly, the thread was filled with 'How could it cause offence, the Simpsons have gone woke' and an Asian chap had said that as soon as the Simpsons became popular, all he got was "Thank you, come again" comments around his school which caused him a lot of hurt).

At a previous employer, we would often advertise products we got into stock with silly little Facebook videos. Helped pass the day and initially people really liked them, they were fun and allowed us to talk about something we knew a bit about. Through time the comments underneath started getting a bit more negative and one of my colleagues got lots of comments like "Look at the state of this ****ing belter" and "What a ****ing prick" after we used a sliding door to reveal himself and the product he was talking about as a funny entrance. We didn't want to do them again, but all the comments were on Facebook with each persons real name. A lack of anonymity didn't deter them.

What needs to be done is reporting of abuse to be taken seriously, dealt with efficiently and for people to grow up a bit and realise that commenting needless comments on a Facebook page has consequences not just to the poster, but quite probably at least one person at the other end too.

Vault Boy
04-05-2021, 02:03 PM

Great post NH.

Keith_M
04-05-2021, 03:02 PM

:faf:

WhileTheChief..
04-05-2021, 03:22 PM

Exactly right.

There will be some folk out there that loved the Tweet. There’s actually very few comments in comparison to views so I don’t think we need to be too hard on the Hibs support.

Besides, why do folk think that a Tweet being sent out to everyone is aimed specifically at them?!

WeeRussell
04-05-2021, 03:27 PM

I agree with you.. although I would say I think we would all be ripping it out of Hearts if this was their Star Wars production :greengrin

And I like the (original) films!

CMurdoch
04-05-2021, 04:20 PM

Thanks for sharing.
As you say growing up was tough enough before the advent of social media.
I always legged it after PE at the end of the school day before the bullies had time to tie their yellow laced, red Doc Martins to their feet! Strangely, I am good at fighting now and would like rematches with my childhood bullies but they are probably nice guys now so it would be a bit embarrassing to ask them out for a square go :greengrin and our wives would probably intervene and march us off like a scene from "The Last of The Summer Wine" so probably too late to revisit now.
I hate bullying of all kinds so got your back :aok:

Allez Hibs
13-05-2021, 02:56 PM
Post from Hibs.

JohnM1875
13-05-2021, 02:59 PM
I do find it bizarre mentioning it, as he's not retiring. Just moving clubs. Who cares?

Jones28
13-05-2021, 03:01 PM
Post from Hibs.

Burn the witch!

On no wait, it's a ****ing twitter post.

danhibees1875
13-05-2021, 03:03 PM
Another shocker from Hibs. As a club we should not pander to anyone.

Not sure many people care about Scott Brown playing his last game for Celtic on Saturday.

Bizare from Hibs when we have sealed 3rd place and have a cup final to look forward to.

This isn't having a pop at the club for the sake of having a pop but Scott Brown isn't a Hibs player.

I seen that as being a neat tie in between the previous game and the next one.

It also prompted the realisation that Brown's last game for Hibs was at ER against Celtic and his last for Celtic will be the same fixture.

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2021, 03:08 PM

It also prompted the realisation that Brown's last game for Hibs was at ER against Celtic and his last for Celtic will be the same fixture.

Me too, don't see the problem.

marinello59
13-05-2021, 03:14 PM

Yeap. Nowt wrong with that.

CropleyWasGod
13-05-2021, 03:16 PM
Post from Hibs.

Don't you see the connection? :confused:

Vault Boy
13-05-2021, 03:20 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

McSwanky
13-05-2021, 03:24 PM
I've been slightly critical of the recent social media stuff, but the Scott Brown one didn't even register with me. No big deal.

matty_f
13-05-2021, 03:25 PM
Nothing wrong with it, I’d this honestly what’s getting folk worked up? Ffs.

Sir David Gray
13-05-2021, 03:30 PM
I do find it bizarre mentioning it, as he's not retiring. Just moving clubs. Who cares?

Agreed, I thought the mention of Brown was quite bizarre but hardly worth getting worked up about.

I saw it, thought it was a bit strange then scrolled past it.

Nothing more to say than that really.

04Sauzee
13-05-2021, 03:40 PM

Not sure many people care about Scott Brown playing his last game for Celtic on Saturday.

Bizare from Hibs when we have sealed 3rd place and have a cup final to look forward to.

This isn't having a pop at the club for the sake of having a pop but Scott Brown isn't a Hibs player.
Did Scott Brown not hand over his singing on fee to Hibs to go towards our academy?maybe I'm making it up but really not sure what the big issue is

flash
13-05-2021, 03:42 PM
I saw this tweet, read it and got on with my life.

Hiber-nation
13-05-2021, 03:42 PM
First thing I thought when I saw it was well done Hibs. Absolutely bizarre that folk are criticising this, very strange.

Peevemor
13-05-2021, 03:58 PM
First thing I thought when I saw it was well done Hibs. Absolutely bizarre that folk are criticising this, very strange.Strange but unsurprising from certain people.

Pretty Boy
13-05-2021, 04:02 PM
I read that tweet earlier and thought it was a nice touch tbh.

It might stick in people's throats a bit because of where he went but we should be proud that a player we played a huge part in developing had the career Brown has had. OK it's not his last game ever but there is a certain closed loop element about his career at both Hibs and Celtic.

hibby rae
13-05-2021, 09:40 PM

That was a great game as well. 2-1, Brown diving header and Sproule winner (I think). Never been able to find the highlights of that one.

On the post earlier, I read it and it barely registered with me. Just made me think 'that was a great game' then scrolled on.

JimBHibees
13-05-2021, 09:50 PM
Nothing wrong with it, I’d this honestly what’s getting folk worked up? Ffs.

Some people aren't happy unless they are permanently offended about something or other.

Andy74
13-05-2021, 09:53 PM

You still wonder why you get a hard time, don’t you?

DaveF
13-05-2021, 09:54 PM

The only shocker in that tweet is Scott Browns hair.

Jones28
14-05-2021, 09:27 AM
The only shocker in that tweet is Scott Browns hair.

I used to want that hair cut.

O'Rourke3
14-05-2021, 06:23 PM

It also prompted the realisation that Brown's last game for Hibs was at ER against Celtic and his last for Celtic will be the same fixture.I hope he scores for us again this time too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk