PDA

View Full Version : SC and Europe £££

IWasThere2016
27-04-2021, 11:41 AM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7025265/scottish-cup-3-million-european-football/

Northernhibee
27-04-2021, 12:12 PM
We really could have done with Rangers being in the cup for at least one more round, if St Johnstone could beat them in a one off cup game then so could we. The safety net isn't there anymore and given how much the pandemic will have cost the club we need to make sure that we get that money to push on.

It's vital that we get that money now.

Shrekko
27-04-2021, 12:19 PM
Think it’s fair to say that Hibs have more riding on this than anyone - last time we won the cup we practically doubled our home crowd from where it was at the end of that season. The Euro thing on the back of that could see us at levels we’ve never seen for 40 years.

Irish_Steve
27-04-2021, 02:25 PM
Think it’s fair to say that Hibs have more riding on this than anyone - last time we won the cup we practically doubled our home crowd from where it was at the end of that season. The Euro thing on the back of that could see us at levels we’ve never seen for 40 years.

Do you really think Hibs have more riding on this than anyone else.

Killie are in dire financial straits and could be in serious trouble if they get relegated.

Barely anyone goes to see either of the Saints teams, in fact St J regularly gave up their seats whenever the OF visited just to get extra income.

It looks likely that we will finish third which brings its own financial reward

Col2
27-04-2021, 02:38 PM
See this - I wish Rangers were still in the cup - line really pissed me off.

Our chances of winning the Scottish cup and improved significantly since St Johnstone put them out. We are now favorites and if we had played them in the final we would be 7 or 8-1 going into it.

We have the chance for double bubble. £3-5m AND cup glory. Bring it on!

calumhibee1
27-04-2021, 02:39 PM
It does make you think how we could use the money to consolidate being best of the rest. Invest some back in the team and it leads to future cup wins,European runs,increased ticket sales/revenue.

Still a lot of work to be done but it could be pretty huge in Scottish football terms

hibsforeurope
27-04-2021, 02:45 PM
Not wanting to click on the link but can imagine winning the cup and finishing 3rd would be worth about half our previous annual turnover. That is some Financial boost and not even taking in to account the ticket sales knock on this will have.

Aldo
27-04-2021, 04:47 PM
Not wanting to click on the link but can imagine winning the cup and finishing 3rd would be worth about half our previous annual turnover. That is some Financial boost and not even taking in to account the ticket sales knock on this will have.

It would and then add any potential transfer fees (I’m not wanting to lose jet players but might happen) 2-3 million for Nisbet, Boyler, Porteous so potentially another 4 maybe £5 million in players sales. (All speculation mind)

Times are good but to improve and kick on we need to try and keep the nucleus of our team and add more quality, which this potential windfall could assist with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
27-04-2021, 05:32 PM
If we can bank £3M from Europe and £5M from players then I'd expect to see the absolute best of the best when it comes to the AGM pies next year.

Billy Whizz
27-04-2021, 05:40 PM
If we can bank £3M from Europe and £5M from players then I'd expect to see the absolute best of the best when it comes to the AGM pies next year.

No point having all that money in the bank, if it’s not being reinvested in quality players, never mind the best pies😀

Unseen work
27-04-2021, 05:44 PM
3 million additional income would obviously be great but does anyone know how much it would cost us participating in Europe?

Can’t imagine it’s cheap for the whole squad, coaching staff etc to fly and stay elsewhere in Europe for a couple of days every other week until December.

Hibee Mac
27-04-2021, 06:12 PM
3 million additional income would obviously be great but does anyone know how much it would cost us participating in Europe?

Can’t imagine it’s cheap for the whole squad, coaching staff etc to fly and stay elsewhere in Europe for a couple of days every other week until December.This is a very good point which is often overlooked when figures like £3M + are quoted.

I'm sure I read something from someone at the club recently that most of our European incomings from our last time round were eroded by the expenditure involved.

Add to that the likelihood of significantly reduced crowd revenue from the games then my gut says the net financial gain from Europe this year would be a lot less than the figures being quoted.

Disclaimer - I've not read the sun article above so not sure if this is mentioned there already

Billy Whizz
27-04-2021, 06:16 PM
This is a very good point which is often overlooked when figures like £3M + are quoted.

I'm sure I read something from someone at the club recently that most of our European incomings from our last time round were eroded by the expenditure involved.

Add to that the likelihood of significantly reduced crowd revenue from the games then my gut says the net financial gain from Europe this year would be a lot less than the figures being quoted.

Disclaimer - I've not read the sun article above so not sure if this is mentioned there already

You’d have thought hiring cheap aircraft this autumn won’t be too hard
But yes having only a a few fans instead of maybe 15,000 or so, bringing on over £300k per game, will be swallowed up
I haven’t seen any figures yet for the Conference League, but Europa League group stages was worth around £6m

green day
27-04-2021, 06:54 PM
You’d have thought hiring cheap aircraft this autumn won’t be too hard
But yes having only a a few fans instead of maybe 15,000 or so, bringing on over £300k per game, will be swallowed up
I haven’t seen any figures yet for the Conference League, but Europa League group stages was worth around £6m

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/irish-league/what-does-new-uefa-competition-mean-for-the-irish-league-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-europa-conference-league-39568156.html

Interesting article - with an irish slant - but if you scroll down to the bit about the conf league, its not entirely clear the financial rewards available.

We know the group stages of the Europa are lucrative (by Hibs standards) - there is a participation fee of around £2.5m and ££ for draws and matches won.

But UEFA havent stated what is on offer for the new setup as yet.

Billy Whizz
27-04-2021, 07:02 PM
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/irish-league/what-does-new-uefa-competition-mean-for-the-irish-league-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-europa-conference-league-39568156.html

Interesting article - with an irish slant - but if you scroll down to the bit about the conf league, its not entirely clear the financial rewards available.

We know the group stages of the Europa are lucrative (by Hibs standards) - there is a participation fee of around £2.5m and ££ for draws and matches won.

But UEFA havent stated what is on offer for the new setup as yet.

Thanks for sharing, so all speculation
Wonder who they have a TV deal with

Big_Franck
27-04-2021, 07:11 PM
At the recent AGM the new American finance manager (forget his name) was asked about potential revenue from Europe for the team finishing 3rd. This was before Rangers were knocked out obviously.

He said that how much we'd make would depend on which European competition we entered as 'not all European group stages are created equal' in terms of prize money etc. He estimated that making the group stages would generate between £3m and £4m but he stressed this was potential revenue, not profit, and that you'd need to take all the travel and accommodation costs out of that.

green day
27-04-2021, 07:20 PM
At the recent AGM the new American finance manager (forget his name) was asked about potential revenue from Europe for the team finishing 3rd. This was before Rangers were knocked out obviously.

He said that how much we'd make would depend on which European competition we entered as 'not all European group stages are created equal' in terms of prize money etc. He estimated that making the group stages would generate between £3m and £4m but he stressed this was potential revenue, not profit, and that you'd need to take all the travel and accommodation costs out of that.

Yep, that sounds very similar to what Aberdeen were saying about the Conf Group stages revenue-wise.

However at the time Cormack mentioned £3-4m, he was anticipating "normal" Euro crowds til christmas..........which is one of the big unknowns.

hibbysam
27-04-2021, 07:35 PM

Travel and accommodation for two nights surely can’t be that expensive? Compared to the hundreds of thousands your potentially making from draws and wins, and the millions in participation fee.

WhileTheChief..
27-04-2021, 07:39 PM
Increased revenue from sponsorship should be hell of a lot easier if we’re in the Europa League group stages and could mean more cash then the money you get for competing over the next few years.

RG already talked about raising the brand. This is exactly what he will be talking about. Not just getting a shirt sponsor but everything else that goes with it.

Be good to see who we end up with as our main sponsor if we go down that route again. The charity and NHS stuff was nice but time to kick on.

Peevemor
27-04-2021, 07:40 PM
Travel and accommodation for two nights surely can’t be that expensive? Compared to the hundreds of thousands your potentially making from draws and wins, and the millions in participation fee.I'd have thought £30-50k per trip.

hibbysam
27-04-2021, 07:44 PM
I'd have thought £30-50k per trip.

Would imagine that sounds plausible, which means the profit margin is extremely high, and even higher as the poster above mentions with increased sponsorship.

Since452
27-04-2021, 07:50 PM
See this - I wish Rangers were still in the cup - line really pissed me off.

Our chances of winning the Scottish cup and improved significantly since St Johnstone put them out. We are now favorites and if we had played them in the final we would be 7 or 8-1 going into it.

We have the chance for double bubble. £3-5m AND cup glory. Bring it on!

Getting on my nerves too. **** Rangers. They're out. We'll win it ourselves and finish 3rd.

green day
27-04-2021, 07:52 PM
Travel and accommodation for two nights surely can’t be that expensive? Compared to the hundreds of thousands your potentially making from draws and wins, and the millions in participation fee.

Difficult to state that with any confidence as the figures have not been released so the numbers are pure speculation - I have seen St Johnstone fans already spending the "guaranteed £3m" which is a bit daft.

It is (almost) certain that the participation and points fees will be lower than for the Europa league, of course it would be fantastic if they were identical (in which case the £3m is about right).

Andy74
27-04-2021, 07:55 PM
I'd have thought £30-50k per trip.

At the AGM they said we took in £1.2m for the 3 rounds in Europe but it cost us £600k to put the games on and for travel.

The costs can pretty significant by the looks of it.

calumhibee1
27-04-2021, 08:00 PM
At the AGM they said we took in £1.2m for the 3 rounds in Europe but it cost us £600k to put the games on and for travel.

The costs can pretty significant by the looks of it.

Yup. I’d expect it to cost heading towards 6 figures for an away game.

Probably around 40+ folk travelling. Good chance it would be a chartered plane, 20-25 hotel rooms at about £600 a pop. Feeding players, transport, probably some hidden costs like insurance etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see an away European game run Hibs around £80-90k.

hibbysam
27-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Difficult to state that with any confidence as the figures have not been released so the numbers are pure speculation - I have seen St Johnstone fans already spending the "guaranteed £3m" which is a bit daft.

It is (almost) certain that the participation and points fees will be lower than for the Europa league, of course it would be fantastic if they were identical (in which case the £3m is about right).

It will be lower, of that there’s no doubt, however with fewer teams in Europa league more money for each team, and I’ve no doubt they will want to make this new competition worthwhile for clubs otherwise there’s no point in it.

Ronniekirk
27-04-2021, 10:53 PM

Can’t imagine it’s cheap for the whole squad, coaching staff etc to fly and stay elsewhere in Europe for a couple of days every other week until December.

And the price of flights are likely to start rising at some point

Sammy7nil
27-04-2021, 11:01 PM
Total guess but three to four away trips of two nights or less for 35 people if you can’t do that for less than £600,000 then I think you are being ripped off.

Not In The Know
28-04-2021, 06:57 AM

Icant remember exact figures but travel costs were huge for the last euro campaign. Pretty much half the prize money went on it

Andy74
28-04-2021, 07:16 AM
Total guess but three to four away trips of two nights or less for 35 people if you can’t do that for less than £600,000 then I think you are being ripped off.

That also includes the costs of staging 3 home games.

bod
28-04-2021, 07:21 AM
I’m glad the rangers are out ,it takes away the “ doesn’t matter if we win it cause we’re already in the group stages “ mentality.
Now if you want the group stages you’ve got to win the bloomin thing

green day
28-04-2021, 08:16 AM
I’m glad the rangers are out ,it takes away the “ doesn’t matter if we win it cause we’re already in the group stages “ mentality.

Yes, me too.

People also seem to forget that we would have to "support them" in a semi final and............if we never made the final...........support them in that too. :rolleyes:

The very thought gave me the boak.

danhibees1875
28-04-2021, 08:20 AM

I don't think anyone had that mentality, especially not the players. They were an insurance option that increased our chances of earning one of the most lucrative European spots we've ever had the chance of winning.

hibbysam
28-04-2021, 08:22 AM
Icant remember exact figures but travel costs were huge for the last euro campaign. Pretty much half the prize money went on it

That was for three games, this is for four, so slightly more. The difference though is the prize money this time around will be far higher, therefore the differential between prize money and expenditure should be far less than 50%. We’ll make a fortune if we win the cup.

hibbysam
28-04-2021, 08:29 AM

Nobody ever said it didn’t matter if we didn’t win the cup though, everyone wanted to win it. It was an insurance policy though, a nice to have. There’s no guarantee we win the cup and I’d rather in that case that our hard work all season didn’t go to waste because of one stroke of luck or one bad performance.

hibbysam
28-04-2021, 08:30 AM
Yes, me too.

People also seem to forget that we would have to "support them" in a semi final and............if we never made the final...........support them in that too. :rolleyes:

The very thought gave me the boak.

I’ve supported Celtic in the cup finals the past two years, makes me feel extremely dirty but when it’s in Hibs’ interests or to do the Jambos over I couldn’t really care less.

Eyrie
28-04-2021, 09:18 AM
I’ve supported Celtic in the cup finals the past two years, makes me feel extremely dirty but when it’s in Hibs’ interests or to do the Jambos over I couldn’t really care less.

I wanted Hearts to lose, and ignored who they were playing. It's a much nicer feeling than wanting the other team to win.

hibbysam
28-04-2021, 10:36 AM
I wanted Hearts to lose, and ignored who they were playing. It's a much nicer feeling than wanting the other team to win.

Exactly, so no different to needing a rangers win if it helped us.

WhileTheChief..
28-04-2021, 11:05 AM
See where we talk about group stages for the cup winners, is there not still the play off round to get through first?

Peevemor
28-04-2021, 11:07 AM
See where we talk about group stages for the cup winners, is there not still the play off round to get through first?

Yes, to get into the Europa League, but the loser is parachured into the the European Conference League.

WhileTheChief..
28-04-2021, 11:15 AM
Yeah but the media are spinning it that if you win the cup you’re in line for mega bucks. Are they meaning in the Conference or the Europa?

Be a tough ask for any of the 4 clubs to get through the play off round to the Europa I think.

danhibees1875
28-04-2021, 11:21 AM
Yeah but the media are spinning it that if you win the cup you’re in line for mega bucks. Are they meaning in the Conference or the Europa?

Be a tough ask for any of the 4 clubs to get through the play off round to the Europa I think.

They mean either, the assumption being that the conference league group stage should also provide big bucks.

Uefa haven't announced anything about prize money for it yet so it's all assumption based.

hibsforeurope
28-04-2021, 11:38 AM

Uefa don't do anything unless it's got potential to make a fortune. There must be cash in it somewhere for them to give it the go ahead.

mjhibby
28-04-2021, 11:41 AM
This is a very good point which is often overlooked when figures like £3M + are quoted.

My thoughts too. Winning the cup itself is the aim. Anything else is a top up. Remember if we do win the cup we will have a minimum of 8 midweek games meaning Thursday Sunday games for weeks on end. The transfer money from Nisbet alone could be more than Europe gets us plus of course the possibility of a windfall if sjm moves on. We are in Europe and with a little luck could make about 500k from it.
I of course would love us to win the Scottish cup but don’t buy into what a great windfall we would get.What will be will be.

lucky
28-04-2021, 11:47 AM
Hibs winning the cup is far more important to me than playing in Europe. Football is about winning and some have got carried away with idea of getting £4m for playing in Europa Conference league as a victory. The debate on here around this is similar to Arsenal being delighted in finishing 4th and getting Champions League football the following season with out actually winning anything. European football is great as are the trips away but nothing will ever come close to winning the Scottish Cup in 2016. Most thought we’d never see Hibs win it so having a chance to win in twice in 5 years would be amazing.

LancsHibs
28-04-2021, 11:53 AM
Hibs winning the cup is far more important to me than playing in Europe. Football is about winning and some have got carried away with idea of getting £4m for playing in Europa Conference league as a victory. The debate on here around this is similar to Arsenal being delighted in finishing 4th and getting Champions League football the following season with out actually winning anything. European football is great as are the trips away but nothing will ever come close to winning the Scottish Cup in 2016. Most thought we’d never see Hibs win it so having a chance to win in twice in 5 years would be amazing.

100% agree increasing our chances of winning the cup over decreasing our chances of a better euro qualification every time for me!! Ultimately we are in this to try and win trophies not have a better bank balance!
We are in Europe next season now guaranteed, which competition we qualify for I’m not too bothered, I hope to cheer us on on cup final day and have a wee euro trip later this summer (hopefully covid allowing) regargles let’s just enjoy the end of the season and see what it brings! It’s been a good season for us whatever happens

hibbysam
28-04-2021, 12:03 PM

Which is all well and good, but that £4m (potential) would allow us to build an even better squad which would give us far more opportunity in the future to win more trophies.

basehibby
28-04-2021, 12:10 PM
Yes, to get into the Europa League, but the loser is parachured into the the European Conference League.

That's MUCH better than the spots given for 3rd and 4th place - which require us to WIN THREE qualifying rounds to get to the Conference League - as opposed to losing ONE!

Winning the cup should require no extra incentive but it clearly has the potential to give the club a massive boost beyond the (by no means insignificant) objective of adding to the contents of the trophy cabinet.

Wakeyhibee
28-04-2021, 12:16 PM
Which is all well and good, but that £4m (potential) would allow us to build an even better squad which would give us far more opportunity in the future to win more trophies.

I dont think it will as much as said and even that will be top line, there are expenses and the players will also see some of that. Europe wont put £4m on our playing budget.

It will be a huge boost but I too would prefer a trophy. That gets us the spot anyway.

hibbysam
28-04-2021, 12:26 PM
I dont think it will as much as said and even that will be top line, there are expenses and the players will also see some of that. Europe wont put £4m on our playing budget.

It will be a huge boost but I too would prefer a trophy. That gets us the spot anyway.

Of course it does, but the point about not caring about Europe and only trophies matter is a daft one when European football literally gives you the extra revenue to challenge better and more regularly on the domestic front.

WhileTheChief..
28-04-2021, 12:33 PM

Cash for Europe is a bonus to me.

The thought of us playing numerous Euro games is tremendous though. We could play more games in Europe next season than in the last 10 years or so combined! Slight exaggeration but you get the point.

Europa League Group stages are about as good as it can get for us probably. Or maybe we can sneak through to the knockout stages!

Either way it’s a fantastic opportunity lying ahead.

Ronniekirk
28-04-2021, 03:48 PM
Cash for Europe is a bonus to me.

The thought of us playing numerous Euro games is tremendous though. We could play more games in Europe next season than in the last 10 years or so combined! Slight exaggeration but you get the point.

Europa League Group stages are about as good as it can get for us probably. Or maybe we can sneak through to the knockout stages!

Either way it’s a fantastic opportunity lying ahead.

We would need a bigger squad and could impact on league form How many times do you see a team coming back from a European trip and getting beat the next domestic game
But it’s a great opportunity and one I hope we earn

Eyrie
28-04-2021, 06:20 PM

The problem with Arsenal was that had been their ambition for a number of years, which they normally achieved. They also needed the Champions League money just to stand still.

For us, playing in the group stages of a European competition would be a first so it is a legitimate target. Additionally it has the potential to give our finances a noticeable boost for the next 2-3 years. The fact that it's only achievable by winning the Scottish Cup makes it twice as good.

shetlandhibee
28-04-2021, 06:29 PM
:top marks
The problem with Arsenal was that had been their ambition for a number of years, which they normally achieved. They also needed the Champions League money just to stand still.

For us, playing in the group stages of a European competition would be a first so it is a legitimate target. Additionally it has the potential to give our finances a noticeable boost for the next 2-3 years. The fact that it's only achievable by winning the Scottish Cup makes it twice as good.
:aok:

jingler1954
28-04-2021, 06:43 PM
I feel this season would be a disaster if we don’t win the cup and finish 3rd. We are the highest ranked team left in the cup and 1 win away from 3rd. This has to be the outcome. No excuses no under par performances. 5 games of football. 4wins. Let’s do this. GGTTH

hibee-boys
28-04-2021, 06:50 PM
Ron and the board will be cursing the lost gate receipts from our Semi’s and a potential final, probably cost us another 7 figure sum in revenue.

blackpoolhibs
29-04-2021, 02:19 PM
I feel this season would be a disaster if we don’t win the cup and finish 3rd. We are the highest ranked team left in the cup and 1 win away from 3rd. This has to be the outcome. No excuses no under par performances. 5 games of football. 4wins. Let’s do this. GGTTH

That is just ludicrous, and why we see such nonsense here every time we lose a match, any match.

Sammy7nil
29-04-2021, 05:54 PM

The money may mean we can win even more cups :wink: