PDA

View Full Version : Premier Sports extend broadcasting deal to 2026/27 season

ABZHFC
27-04-2021, 10:26 AM
https://spfl.co.uk/news/premier-sports-becomes-league-cup-title-sponsor

Given just how hated they are as a broadcaster by quite literally almost every single Scottish football fan I know, fair play to the SPFL for - of course - ignoring that and awarding this broadcaster (which virtually nobody has) a contract extension. A mental decision, I really hope there is a concerted campaign to start forcing boards to listen to us on these kinds of issues. Scottish football will continue being buried behind yet another paywall despite it being something virtually none of us want

hibsforeurope
27-04-2021, 10:28 AM
Under current circumstances this is a nitemare situation. But hopefully next season it will encourage more people to attend the games in person, when allowed to do so, to avoid yet another subscription.

Godsahibby
27-04-2021, 10:31 AM
I think their coverage is pretty decent to be fair. decent build up and analysis of games

Obviously is still very OF orientated but that is always going to be the case no matter who covers it.

Getting the Spanish and Italian football included is an added bonus.

ABZHFC
27-04-2021, 10:33 AM
I think their coverage is pretty decent to be fair. decent build up and analysis of games

Obviously is still very OF orientated but that is always going to be the case no matter who covers it.

Getting the Spanish and Italian football included is an added bonus.

I don't mind their coverage either, it's essentially the same as BT's set-up used to be, but the fact remains that this is now another monthly subscription that fans are expected to fork out for. Televised cup games should 100% be put on the BBC, ridiculous that fans are priced out of the chance to watch their club especially during the pandemic

Weir07
27-04-2021, 10:39 AM

Given just how hated they are as a broadcaster by quite literally almost every single Scottish football fan I know, fair play to the SPFL for - of course - ignoring that and awarding this broadcaster (which virtually nobody has) a contract extension. A mental decision, I really hope there is a concerted campaign to start forcing boards to listen to us on these kinds of issues. Scottish football will continue being buried behind yet another paywall despite it being something virtually none of us want

I think it's not bad value, I don't subscribe to any sports services but like the idea of a one off payment for a game, I've watched most of the Hibs games on Premier and just cancel after I don't need it anymore (when we got knocked out of the league cup), I paid £13.99 for a months subscription on Saturday and I'll likely get at least one more Hibs game for that, so that's £7 a game, a good deal when you compare it to £20 for Livingston away (which I was happy to pay too).

Heckys Wheel
27-04-2021, 10:48 AM

I think you’re well off here.

In terms of production and coverage, they’re miles ahead of Sky.

In terms of price and ease of access and term of contract they’re also miles ahead of sky.

They are now not only putting money into the Scottish game for broadcasting rights but also sponsorship.

It is annoying having three different paywalls for coverage but if anything the more games Premier get the better IMO. I know my bank balance would be much better off if Premier were to end up with all broadcasting rights in Scotland.

Hibbyradge
27-04-2021, 10:51 AM
I don't mind Premier at all.

hibbysam
27-04-2021, 10:54 AM
I don't mind their coverage either, it's essentially the same as BT's set-up used to be, but the fact remains that this is now another monthly subscription that fans are expected to fork out for. Televised cup games should 100% be put on the BBC, ridiculous that fans are priced out of the chance to watch their club especially during the pandemic

Isn’t it only two? Premier and Sky for league games, unless I’m missing something. The exact same as previous years but far cheaper than BT. It also seems like they put a fair chunk of money in. What if the BBC don’t want that many games? What if they don’t pay nearly enough? Are you happy if we lose out on a load of money just so the BBC can line their pockets for next to nothing?

Smartie
27-04-2021, 11:02 AM
My viewing habits have changed a lot in recent years, to the point where I now view Premier Sports as the best value for money out of the lot of them.

Coverage, pundits etc are excellent. Craigan is the worst, and you almost need a pantomime baddie like him to even the whole place up. They have an interest in Scottish football outwith Rangers and Celtic and they cover the games with commitment and passion (rather than the likes of Walker and Provan moaning about the fact that they've had to lower themselves to the level of the other teams).

If I had any sense I'd be canning my BT Sport and Sky because I simply never watch the "elite" stuff any more - next to no interest in the English Premier league or Champions league.

I took out the Premier package in October after one of our league cup ties and I've been amazed how often the games that I actually want to watch are on it, and how highly I actually rate the product.

It's also quite easy to end and start a contract again if need be rather than the whole palaver with Sky.

Stevie Reid
27-04-2021, 11:15 AM
Is it not the same production company that does BT, Premier and Amazon Prime's football?

Premier's coverage is fine, bar Craigen's continual involvement.

ABZHFC
27-04-2021, 11:51 AM
Isn’t it only two? Premier and Sky for league games, unless I’m missing something. The exact same as previous years but far cheaper than BT. It also seems like they put a fair chunk of money in. What if the BBC don’t want that many games? What if they don’t pay nearly enough? Are you happy if we lose out on a load of money just so the BBC can line their pockets for next to nothing?

Yes, because time and again it has been proven that accessibility is just as important as incoming money from TV deals. It's a short-termist view just to snap the hand off subscription channels just because they're the highest bidder, when it means a lot of kids will grow up never being able to watch their team on the tele

hibbysam
27-04-2021, 12:05 PM
Yes, because time and again it has been proven that accessibility is just as important as incoming money from TV deals. It's a short-termist view just to snap the hand off subscription channels just because they're the highest bidder, when it means a lot of kids will grow up never being able to watch their team on the tele

Majority of games aren’t on tele anyway. Kids wouldn’t want to watch the teams if they were full of absolute garbage. It’s £12 per month and it gives access to some of the top sides in European football if those kids really want to see it. Why wouldn’t we just give games away to ITV or channel 4/5?

Hibbyradge
27-04-2021, 12:05 PM

Where can I read all this proof? :dunno:

JohnM1875
27-04-2021, 12:08 PM
Premier value for money is excellent especially as you get Scottish League Cup and Scottish Cup games. Throw in you get tonnes of Serie A games and La Liga TV for free. It's well worth the £10 or so a month.

Hibbyradge
27-04-2021, 12:24 PM
It costs £10.99pm for Premier 1, Premier 2, La Liga TV and Box Nation, plus the online player if you're with Sky. If you don't have Sky or Virgin, the online player is available for the same price.

That's the equivalent of £2.54 a week. I can't imagine too many poor waifs will be missing out on seeing their teams at that price.

scoopyboy
27-04-2021, 12:33 PM
Premier is the best value of them all in my opinion and their extension is a good thing.

They show a lot of speedway which I like and other minority sports like Stock Car Racing.

Lot worse news going about than this.

ABZHFC
27-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Fair enough if some on here are happy about it, if you look at both Facebook and Twitter, you'll see a lot of Scottish football fans angry about this decision, they are not a popular broadcaster

hibee-boys
27-04-2021, 12:43 PM
In today’s financial climate any injection of capital into football can only be applauded, especially Scottish football. I’ve signed up/cancelled Premier when appropriate over the last year, I’ve only been paying the subscription in months Hibs are playing so it’s been cheaper than PPV. I’m sure BBC, Sky had the opportunity to tender for the broadcasting rights but Premier must’ve paid the price wanted along with more to provide sponsorship, fair play to them.

Juniper Greens
27-04-2021, 12:50 PM
I'm quite happy with this. I've watched a lot of Hibs and Edinburgh or Glasgow Rugby games this season. Wish they would get the league coverage and I'd bin sky

DH1875
27-04-2021, 12:53 PM
I don't mind their coverage, it's just another subscription service. I just don't use them as already have sky sports and BY sport/ESPN. If I didn't have them then I would think about getting premier.
Remember though that freesports is premier sports so any game you want to see, Hibs for example is shown for free the next day. Hibs and Rangers games were both on it yesterday.

Greenbeard
27-04-2021, 01:01 PM
Are they still not doing a 24-hour pass like Sky?

Hibbyradge
27-04-2021, 01:52 PM
Fair enough if some on here are happy about it, if you look at both Facebook and Twitter, you'll see a lot of Scottish football fans angry about this decision, they are not a popular broadcaster

I'm sure that's correct, but one of the prerequisites if those groups on FB and Twitter is to be angry about everything.

Most people who have posted on this thread so far, are happy enough.

TheMentalHibees
27-04-2021, 01:58 PM
Are they still not doing a 24-hour pass like Sky?

Would be good for those of us that just want this game and aren’t interested in the long term contract. Sure they’d get more uptake for this as not everyone wants to be tied into a 6 month deal to watch one game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irish_Steve
27-04-2021, 01:58 PM
I have to say they are very good too and let's face it, for half the price of a Cup Semi Final ticket, you can get a full month's worth of sport and cancel whenever you want

Irish_Steve
27-04-2021, 01:59 PM
Would be good for those of us that just want this game and aren’t interested in the long term contract. Sure they’d get more uptake for this as not everyone wants to be tied into a 6 month deal to watch one game.

See above, you can cancel in the first few days of taking out a sub so you only pay for one month

The Baldmans Comb
27-04-2021, 02:03 PM
Pay TV isn't going to go away as that horse as long since bolted and Premier TV are plugging millions into Scottish football some of which will reach Hibs.

In that respect I am concerned how they price their product and their production values and in both respects they are very strong.

They have just copied the very well regarded BT model keeping many of the presenters and the pricing policy of paying for a month for £12:99 for a full sports channel and then just canceling when suits seems very fair.✅

I wouldn't give SKY money as they treat Scotland as an afterthought and are only concerned about you know who but Premier seem to be more in touch with Scottish football.

TheMentalHibees
27-04-2021, 02:38 PM
See above, you can cancel in the first few days of taking out a sub so you only pay for one month

Their site says the minimum contract is 6 months, has anyone here cancelled it early before?

BS44
27-04-2021, 02:39 PM
Premier have so far also given us decent kick off times too, if the semi final games were on Sky or BT they'd probably be kicking off 12pm Saturday and Sunday

Irish_Steve
27-04-2021, 02:58 PM
Their site says the minimum contract is 6 months, has anyone here cancelled it early before?

It must have to do with the fact I’m with Sky too as i have cancelled after a month before.

CapitalGreen
27-04-2021, 03:10 PM
I like Premier Sport, their coverage is superior to both Sky and BBC and it’s only costing me something like £5pm.

BILLYHIBS
27-04-2021, 03:42 PM
Tried to cancel Premier Sports through Virgin after the League Cup campaign they made me give 30 days notice so another month’s subscription of £10

No biggie but I now do IPTV

Antifa Hibs
27-04-2021, 03:47 PM

I'm confused.

You seem to be suggesting we bump Premier Sports (A pay TV subscription channel) even though they bidded the most to award Sky (A pay TV subscription channel) the rights even though they bidded less?

Premier could be bought for £10-12 a month and easily cancelled if its just the one game yer after. Can access it via Virgin and Sky boxes and online via computer and mobile.

They have provided some coverage for the obscure Hibs fixtures like the tie in the Faroes. What were Sky, BT and BBC doing then?:cb

PS all pay TV can GTF as far as i'm concerned but to single out Premier while ignoring the others is pretty strange.

Billy Whizz
27-04-2021, 03:50 PM
BT costs me £20 per month, and I hardly watch anything on it
Obviously they cover the Europa League group stages, so might dump it over the summer
Think Premier show the Europa League qualifiers too

worcesterhibby
27-04-2021, 03:56 PM

To be fair if you look on facebook and Twitter you will find most Hibs fans seem to hate our manager, think all our players are bottlers and we should sack the lot of them for not winning every game 6-0 and playing like the Brazil 1970 side. I suspect judging the overall opinion of Scottish football fans by reading posts in Facebook and Twitter might be a mistake.

WhileTheChief..
27-04-2021, 04:11 PM
Why are Sky getting a hard time here? They’re putting money into the game too.

If we’re in the Europa League we’ll need BT to watch I’d imagine

It’s better to have more than one broadcaster interested, we’d moan like hell if none of them wanted to show our games.

JohnMcM
27-04-2021, 04:44 PM

I tried and was told in the politest of terms which went something like this - “You signed up by mistake when you were looking for a simple day/months’ pass did you? Ok, let me see what I can do for you ,,,,,(pause),,,,,,, (and now I paraphrase),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry I can’t help it you are a daft old fud, you owe us another 5 months’ money whether you watch or not”. :greengrin

Bristolhibby
27-04-2021, 05:26 PM
My viewing habits have changed a lot in recent years, to the point where I now view Premier Sports as the best value for money out of the lot of them.

Coverage, pundits etc are excellent. Craigan is the worst, and you almost need a pantomime baddie like him to even the whole place up. They have an interest in Scottish football outwith Rangers and Celtic and they cover the games with commitment and passion (rather than the likes of Walker and Provan moaning about the fact that they've had to lower themselves to the level of the other teams).

If I had any sense I'd be canning my BT Sport and Sky because I simply never watch the "elite" stuff any more - next to no interest in the English Premier league or Champions league.

I took out the Premier package in October after one of our league cup ties and I've been amazed how often the games that I actually want to watch are on it, and how highly I actually rate the product.

It's also quite easy to end and start a contract again if need be rather than the whole palaver with Sky.

It’s annoying. I only really watch

Scottish football (mainly Hibs)
English Rugby (Bath supporter)
NFL
Occasional EPL games (if I can be arsed)

If there was one channel that did the lot, perfect.

As it is that’s two, possibly three channels.

That said, and with lockdown, I don’t bat an eyelid paying £13 a month for Premier. If they end up with more Hibs games I might keep it.

Easy to cancel and switch on again.

J

Juniper Greens
27-04-2021, 06:09 PM
Tried to cancel Premier Sports through Virgin after the League Cup campaign they made me give 30 days notice so another month’s subscription of £10

No biggie but I now do IPTV

Cancel it the day after you sign up and it works out a tenner for the month. I did that earlier in the season, then found out in that month that I watched quite a lot on it, so kept it running

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-04-2021, 07:44 PM
Cancel it the day after you sign up and it works out a tenner for the month. I did that earlier in the season, then found out in that month that I watched quite a lot on it, so kept it running

That's what I was told to do when I signed up today for the month.

HH81
27-04-2021, 08:02 PM
Premier on about putting rugby league games on which would make it even better.

Bristolhibby
27-04-2021, 08:55 PM

You can cancel the day before the month is up on the app, dead easy.

J