PDA

View Full Version : Where will 3rd or 4th place take us?

Hibbyradge
27-04-2021, 08:38 AM
The leagues aren't finished yet, but here's a rough indication of who we could face in Europa Conference qualification if we finish third or fourth.

Sadly, there's probably about as much chance of hearts winning the Cup this year as us getting through the 3 stages.

And before anyone posts the sarky "That's the spirit" comments, I'm just being realistic.

"UEFA Europa Conference League: Which teams could be involved?" https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog-uefa/story/3951212/uefa-europa-conference-league-all-you-need-to-know?platform=amp

Monts
27-04-2021, 08:41 AM
Someone posted a really good spreadsheet a month or so back that had all the teams in the qualifying spots.

Hopefully they can repost now that league placings are a bit more clear

Hibbyradge
27-04-2021, 08:44 AM
Someone posted a really good spreadsheet a month or so back that had all the teams in the qualifying spots.

Hopefully they can repost now that league placings are a bit more clear

I didn't see that. Yes, it would be good.

I was hoping Villa would sneak into 7th place so we would see SJM at ER again, but it's not to be.

Leeds would have been good too as I can get there in 45 minutes, but again, no joy.

hibsforeurope
27-04-2021, 08:45 AM
I guess we need to make it to the Play off round for the Europa League to be guaranteed groups stage football next season. To manage this we need to get a favourable draw or win the Scottish cup.

Monts
27-04-2021, 08:46 AM
I guess we need to make it to the Play off round for the Europa League to be guaranteed groups stage football next season. To manage this we need to get a favourable draw or win the Scottish cup.

Only winning the cup will get us that now.

League position only gets us into conference qualifying

scoopyboy
In terms of finishing third or fourth it makes no difference now that Rangers and Celtic are out the Cup.

So as the link states if we win the Cup its play off for the Europa League with the bonus of group stages in the Conference if we lose.

If we don't win the cup it is three rounds to get into the group section of the Conference, starting at the second round.

We will be seeded for the second round and would fancy our chances of going through.

Thereafter it gets a bit murkier with countries still to determine qualifiers.

In the third round I think we would have a reasonable chance but the Play Off round will be hard.

The following seasons will get easier thanks to our much better coefficient and Scotland get a better deal.

In the meantime it's easier just to win the Scottish Cup. :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

danhibees1875

Winning the Scottish cup is the only way to do it.

Anything else puts us in the conference league from the start.

Hibbyradge
27-04-2021, 08:48 AM
Winning the Scottish cup is the only way to do it.

Anything else puts us in the conference league from the start.

Correct.

BS44
27-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Any idea of the dates we will play? No summer holiday this year so if it's possible a European trip to watch Hibs will do

offshorehibby
27-04-2021, 09:09 AM
Any idea of the dates we will play? No summer holiday this year so if it's possible a European trip to watch Hibs will do

First qualifying round: 8 & 15 July

Second qualifying round: 22 & 29 July

Third qualifying round: 5 & 12 August

Play-offs: 19 & 26 August

Group stage: 16 & 30 September, 21 October, 4 & 25 November, 9 December

Knockout round play-offs: 17 & 24 February

Round of 16: 10 & 17 March

Quarter-finals: 7 & 14 April

Semi-finals: 28 April & 5 May

Final: 25 May (National Arena, Tirana)

offshorehibby
27-04-2021, 09:12 AM
In terms of finishing third or fourth it makes no difference now that Rangers and Celtic are out the Cup.

So as the link states if we win the Cup its play off for the Europa League with the bonus of group stages in the Conference if we lose.

If we don't win the cup it is three rounds to get into the group section of the Conference, starting at the second round.

We will be seeded for the second round and would fancy our chances of going through.

Thereafter it gets a bit murkier with countries still to determine qualifiers.

In the third round I think we would have a reasonable chance but the Play Off round will be hard.

The following seasons will get easier thanks to our much better coefficient and Scotland get a better deal.

In the meantime it's easier just to win the Scottish Cup. :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

My big worry if we do have a good run in Europe would be our league form dropping and the following year we don't qualify. Hopefully we are on an upward spiral and can continue to progress going forward.

Sir David Gray
27-04-2021, 09:42 AM
My big worry if we do have a good run in Europe would be our league form dropping and the following year we don't qualify. Hopefully we are on an upward spiral and can continue to progress going forward.

We'll definitely need to strengthen the squad if we're playing in Europe until at least December next season, otherwise we could struggle next year.

danhibees1875
27-04-2021, 09:54 AM
We'll definitely need to strengthen the squad if we're playing in Europe until at least December next season, otherwise we could struggle next year.

If we win the cup we'll know that's happening and be able to plan accordingly, other than not knowing whether it'll be Europa league or conference and what that brings in financially.

The "problem" would be not winning the cup and then navigating our way into the conference league group stages - as unlikely as it seems.

hibsforeurope
27-04-2021, 10:08 AM
Hate to say it but the Sevs going out as an insurance policy sounds like a bad thing then, unless we do the unthinkable and actually with the thing.

Fergus52
27-04-2021, 10:08 AM
The leagues aren't finished yet, but here's a rough indication of who we could face in Europa Conference qualification if we finish third or fourth.

Sadly, there's probably about as much chance of hearts winning the Cup this year as us getting through the 3 stages.

And before anyone posts the sarky "That's the spirit" comments, I'm just being realistic.

"UEFA Europa Conference League: Which teams could be involved?" https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog-uefa/story/3951212/uefa-europa-conference-league-all-you-need-to-know?platform=amp

Some great sides go in at the third and final qualifying rounds, but there's no guarantee we'd be drawn against any of them. Even if we were unseeded for the final two rounds, there will be weaker seeded sides than spurs leverkusen lazio etc. that have qualifying from the earlier rounds who we could be drawn against.

Definitely still a long shot but not outwith realms of possibility. Weaker teams than hibs make the Europa groups each year, which are harder to get into than what the conference league will be.

danhibees1875
27-04-2021, 10:11 AM
Hate to say it but the Sevs going out as an insurance policy sounds like a bad thing then, unless we do the unthinkable and actually with the thing.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think "unthinkable" is a bit of a stretch. We've a great chance of going on and winning it.

Speedy
27-04-2021, 10:15 AM

Best chance (for us, or whoever gets that route) tends to be getting a high seeded team in the 3rd round, beating them, adopting their seeding and therefore avoiding the top sides in the playoff.

Either that or big Daz knocking Kane and co. into the standa :greengrin

hibsforeurope
27-04-2021, 10:20 AM
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think "unthinkable" is a bit of a stretch. We've a great chance of going on and winning it.

I know but i thought that of the league cup and look what happened.

Fergus52
27-04-2021, 10:21 AM
Best chance (for us, or whoever gets that route) tends to be getting a high seeded team in the 3rd round, beating them, adopting their seeding and therefore avoiding the top sides in the playoff.

Yup, I might be wrong but I think that is how teams like Dundalk have managed it recently in the Europa League

Fergus52
27-04-2021, 10:25 AM

I actually think hibs would probably be seeded in the third qualifying round, which would make that more difficult.

If you look at both these sites:

countries access list: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/AccessList2021.html

current teams qualifying for conference league: https://www.football-coefficient.eu/coefficient/ (scroll down past the first couple of tables)

It looks like most of the teams in Q3 of the conference league will have a lower coefficient than us.

MagicSwirlingShip
27-04-2021, 10:36 AM
So what would we prefer, a playoff win in the Europa - meaning pretty much guaranteed pumpings from some well established sides, or lose the playoff and find ourselves in some competitive ties against some of the not so glamourous sides from the farthest reaches of Europe?

I’m swaying towards the latter tbh, but keen to hear other Hibees thoughts...

bringbackbenny
27-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Final: 25 May (National Arena, Tirana)

need to book a day's holiday for this :greengrin

Hibbyradge
27-04-2021, 10:39 AM
So what would we prefer, a playoff win in the Europa - meaning pretty much guaranteed pumpings from some well established sides, or lose the playoff and find ourselves in some competitive ties against some of the not so glamourous sides from the farthest reaches of Europe?

I’m swaying towards the latter tbh, but keen to hear other Hibees thoughts...

I've always enjoyed a glamorous pumping so the former for me, please.

MagicSwirlingShip
27-04-2021, 10:41 AM
I've always enjoyed a glamorous pumping so the former for me, please.

I’m historically more of a drab 0-0 kinda guy myself. No one wins, plenty shots off target.

Hibbyradge
27-04-2021, 10:42 AM
need to book a day's holiday for this :greengrin

It's a Tuesday so take the Monday too and make it into a city break. You'll also need to take the Wednesday off at least so you can join in the victory party into the late hours after the game.

Hibbyradge
27-04-2021, 10:44 AM
I’m historically more of a drab 0-0 kinda guy myself. No one wins, plenty shots off target.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to tell us what it's like to shaft someone 4-0.

bringbackbenny
27-04-2021, 10:51 AM
It's a Tuesday so take the Monday too and make it into a city break. You'll also need to take the Wednesday off at least so you can join in the victory party into the late hours after the game.

Yes good call ;), we can do a victory march to Skanderbeg Square or that weird Pyramid