PDA

View Full Version : Focus on the cup

Monts
26-04-2021, 10:03 AM
Now that there is no safety net of Rangers winning the cup, third and fourth are essentially the same in terms of European football.

Since the likelihood is that we could finish 3rd without winning another league game, I think our focus should be on the cup. The rewards for winning it are massive.

Should we rest players in league games to keep them fresh for the cup?

Allez Hibs
26-04-2021, 10:04 AM
Yes.

cocteautwin
26-04-2021, 10:05 AM
Shouldn’t make any difference to do both. Need to keep momentum going. Just hope we don’t try to slip in a pre final training camp in Spain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibernian Verse
26-04-2021, 10:06 AM
If we had a midweek game then yes, however it's Saturday then Sat/Sun.

Third is huge for the club, wrap that up first. The players & management will want to, and will likely have bonuses attached to it too. Solid win on Saturday with a full strength team is psychologically beneficial for the following week too.

Lith
26-04-2021, 10:07 AM
Not many games left so we should be focusing on both the league and the cup.... we have a fantastic chance to win the cup and we need to take this chance... cup semis have been brutal and we need to make sure the best team are out there and are up for the semi

Wilson
26-04-2021, 10:13 AM
Now that there is no safety net of Rangers winning the cup, third and fourth are essentially the same in terms of European football.

Since the likelihood is that we could finish 3rd without winning another league game, I think our focus should be on the cup. The rewards for winning it are massive.

I think part of Rangers problem against St Johnstone was that they wrapped the league up too early. They've been playing just to not get beat for weeks - protecting their unbeaten league run. When they needed to step it back up yesterday they couldn't. The performances levels they were putting in in Europe, or before the league was wrapped up, would have seen off St Johnstone.

We need to keep aiming high. Use the squad by all means but still aiming high and putting in the performances to match.

Iain G
26-04-2021, 10:17 AM
Yes.

No

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 11:31 AM
The challenge will be to keep the focus and momentum going now that the prize for finishing third is definitely the same as 4th.

That becomes even more of a risk if we seal 3rd place at the weekend. We've all seen league winners lose their clinical edge for the reminder of the season, as soon as they become the champions.

Particularly in the first half yesterday, The Rangers looked like they were going through the motions a bit and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Celtic beat them on Sunday.

Obviously I hope we're confirmed in third on Saturday, but in a way, it might be good for our mental attitude if it went on for another week.

Monts
26-04-2021, 11:34 AM
We only have 2 strikers.

What with Boyle being suspended for the semi, it could be sensible to only play one striker (plus Boyle) at the weekend, to reduce the risk of losing our strikeforce to injury.

bod
26-04-2021, 11:36 AM
No

Irish_Steve
26-04-2021, 11:37 AM
I always thought we had the advantage going into the 2016 Final because we were still playing at full steam up to the Final whereas Rangers had already won the Championship and were sat on their backsides for something like 18/21 days.

We need to keep that momentum going

Onion
26-04-2021, 11:54 AM
I always thought we had the advantage going into the 2016 Final because we were still playing at full steam up to the Final whereas Rangers had already won the Championship and were sat on their backsides for something like 18/21 days.

We need to keep that momentum going

Agreed. That break for the Huns was their undoing. Hibs were the hungrier, fitter, much sharper side that day.

The thought of JR & Hibs trying to massage their way through to a Cup win makes me shudder. We're just not good enough to do that. Let's try keep the good form going starting by beating St J on Saturday, securing 3rd place in the process.

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 12:02 PM
Agreed. That break for the Huns was their undoing. Hibs were the hungrier, fitter, much sharper side that day.

The thought of JR & Hibs trying to massage their way through to a Cup win makes me shudder. We're just not good enough to do that. Let's try keep the good form going starting by beating St J on Saturday, securing 3rd place in the process.

I definitely agree, but it's going to be hard to keep the players at 100% if they're trying to avoid injury etc.

One positive is that the semifinal is only 2 weeks before the final so, if we get through, there's less time to lose their edge.

Ozyhibby
26-04-2021, 12:05 PM
Third is in the bag. Aberdeen won’t get 7 points from their last 3 games. All focus now should be on the cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2021, 12:50 PM

No absolutely not, keep on playing and winning.

JammyDoidger
26-04-2021, 01:48 PM
I'd put out a weakened side this weekend wrapping our key players in cotton wool. And tell the players that do play to get 'right in about them' But won't happen, this is what will probably happen to us. It's the hibs way, we need to toughen up and do what it takes to win this cup. That should now be the sole focus.

scoopyboy
26-04-2021, 01:53 PM
We only have 2 strikers.

What with Boyle being suspended for the semi, it could be sensible to only play one striker (plus Boyle) at the weekend, to reduce the risk of losing our strikeforce to injury.

he isn't

green day
26-04-2021, 02:01 PM
he isn't

Aw now you tell me

:greengrin

oneone73
26-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Anyone know if any of our potential opponents have suspensions?

Sir David Gray
26-04-2021, 02:39 PM
Anyone know if any of our potential opponents have suspensions?

I'm pretty sure St Johnstone and Dundee Utd don't and I believe the only way Kilmarnock or St Mirren will have anyone suspended is if they are sent off tonight.

Monts
26-04-2021, 03:08 PM
he isn't

Great news! I was sure I had read on here he was suspended.

Wrap him in cotton wool then. You can be sure if we draw saints in the semi, they will be targeting Boyle even more than normal.

gbhibby
27-04-2021, 10:06 AM
Winning the Cup it has to be. Give players who have not had a lot of game time a start next weekend. Gives players a chance to stake a claim for a place in the team for the semi and final. Give some of the youngsters a start over next few games. Players will want a place in the squad for both Cup games.