PDA

View Full Version : Do we warrant favorite status

one day maybe...
26-04-2021, 12:22 AM
So does our next cup game best 11, plus our bench beat every other team left in the Scottish Cup?

Marciano

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon

Boyle
Newell
Irvine
Hallberg
Doig

Doidge
Nisbet

#GGTTH:flag:

AgentDaleCooper
26-04-2021, 12:28 AM
I'd go 442 with the same line-up, or maybe someone better suited to the wide position than newell. Mcginn is best as a right back.

1van Sprou7e
26-04-2021, 12:50 AM
Is Boyle available?

Sir David Gray
26-04-2021, 05:09 AM
Is Boyle available?

Yeah apparently so, it seems to be 3 bookings before a suspension kicks in.

Since452
26-04-2021, 05:15 AM
If we want to progress as a club we need to be able to handle the favourite tag in semi finals

Sir David Gray
26-04-2021, 05:24 AM
We're definitely the favourites after yesterday's results.

Every other club that's left is in the bottom 6 except St Johnstone and although our recent record against them isn't good we'll always be favourites if we're playing them.

Given what's at stake we need to go on and win it now. It would be sickening to see one of the other clubs in Europe until Christmas.

Since90+2
26-04-2021, 05:46 AM
St Johnstone have proven they know how to win a cup already this season. They also convincingly beat us not long ago at Hampden and just went to Ibrox and knocked out the best team in the country.

I'd make them slight favourites IMO.

Col2
26-04-2021, 05:52 AM
Bookies have us as slight favorites at 9-4.

St Johnstone and Dundee Utd are 3-1

This feels about right.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2021, 06:16 AM
Yes.

Borderhibbie76
26-04-2021, 06:30 AM
Of course we are favs now and we need to handle it better than we did in Betfred...but something tells me the squad have learnt a lot from the last time and we've proved we can handle pressure games in league already so let's do this

Juniper Greens
26-04-2021, 06:32 AM
Of course we are favs now and we need to handle it better than we did in Betfred...but something tells me the squad have learnt a lot from the last time and we've proved we can handle pressure games in league already so let's do this

Equally though, the StJ players know what it takes to win a cup now. They will rightfully be feeling confident

Borderhibbie76
26-04-2021, 06:38 AM
Equally though, the StJ players know what it takes to win a cup now. They will rightfully be feeling confident

Agreed and they are deffo our biggest threat

Pretty Boy
26-04-2021, 06:56 AM
I think we need to embrace being favourites. As fans it really makes no difference, and I'm nervous, but living in fear could spoil the enjoyment of the opportunity we now have.

Over the course of an entire season we have proven ourselves the best of the teams left in the competition. Even our 'hoodoo' against St Johnstone is being overplayed. We have played them 4 times, drawn once, had a tight win, suffered a tight defeat and there was a freak result in a semi final that whilst hugely disappointment can be mitigated somewhat when looking back with a cooler head.

There seems to be a school of thought that saying there is now pressure on us to win it is 'negative'. That it comes from a position of having a desperation to put the boot into Ross. I can't speak for others but for me it's anything but. There is pressure on us to win it now because it has to be acknowledged we are the best team left in the cup. Is it negative to believe that? Jim Goodwin, Tommy Wright and even Mickey Mellon won't be under the same level of pressure because deep down their fans know they aren't as good as us.

Crunchie
26-04-2021, 07:08 AM
We're definitely the favourites after yesterday's results.

Every other club that's left is in the bottom 6 except St Johnstone and although our recent record against them isn't good we'll always be favourites if we're playing them.

Given what's at stake we need to go on and win it now. It would be sickening to see one of the other clubs in Europe until Christmas.
I was surprised to see Ladbrokes and Bet Victor go 9/4 Hibs 5/2 utd 3/1 St J

Crunchie
26-04-2021, 07:10 AM
Bookies have us as slight favorites at 9-4.

St Johnstone and Dundee Utd are 3-1

This feels about right.
Betfred have us clear 13/8 favs and I think other bookies will follow suit when the money starts piling on us at those odds.

CentreLine
26-04-2021, 07:44 AM
Is Boyle available?

Now stop it, you know he’s available🤨
We’ll miss Gogic though

matty_f
26-04-2021, 07:55 AM
I think we need to embrace being favourites. As fans it really makes no difference, and I'm nervous, but living in fear could spoil the enjoyment of the opportunity we now have.

Over the course of an entire season we have proven ourselves the best of the teams left in the competition. Even our 'hoodoo' against St Johnstone is being overplayed. We have played them 4 times, drawn once, had a tight win, suffered a tight defeat and there was a freak result in a semi final that whilst hugely disappointment can be mitigated somewhat when looking back with a cooler head.

There seems to be a school of thought that saying there is now pressure on us to win it is 'negative'. That it comes from a position of having a desperation to put the boot into Ross. I can't speak for others but for me it's anything but. There is pressure on us to win it now because it has to be acknowledged we are the best team left in the cup. Is it negative to believe that? Jim Goodwin, Tommy Wright and even Mickey Mellon won't be under the same level of pressure because deep down their fans know they aren't as good as us.

I think there’s an element of truth in the pressure being on Jack Ross to win the cup in the eyes of some fans, PB. Absolutely, there is pressure that comes with being favourites and being the “best” team left in the competition, but i think there’s also a pressure on Ross from the “he can’t win big games” folk, and from folk that think that failing to win the cup from this position is a big failure (rather than acknowledging the relative success of reaching yet another semi final).

The players will hear, from all angles, reminders of how they failed in the last three semi finals, and that also adds to the pressure.

Rangers losing last night was as bad as it was good for us. On the one hand it’s given us a massive opportunity to finish the season off in spectacular style, but at the same time it’s removed the safety net of third place giving us extended European football.

We’re going to have to do it the hard way.

Spike Mandela
26-04-2021, 07:58 AM
If you know absolutely nothing about Scottish football and look at the league table you would say Hibs were favourites.

If you know even the slightest wee bit about Scottish football you will know that every team left in it will fancy themselves to win it and it will come down to performance on the day.

Bostonhibby
26-04-2021, 08:01 AM
I think there’s an element of truth in the pressure being on Jack Ross to win the cup in the eyes of some fans, PB. Absolutely, there is pressure that comes with being favourites and being the “best” team left in the competition, but i think there’s also a pressure on Ross from the “he can’t win big games” folk, and from folk that think that failing to win the cup from this position is a big failure (rather than acknowledging the relative success of reaching yet another semi final).

The players will hear, from all angles, reminders of how they failed in the last three semi finals, and that also adds to the pressure.

Rangers losing last night was as bad as it was good for us. On the one hand it’s given us a massive opportunity to finish the season off in spectacular style, but at the same time it’s removed the safety net of third place giving us extended European football.

We’re going to have to do it the hard way.I agree entirely with both posts here, especially the bit about us doing it the hard way. It's the Hibs way.

I am as happy as I can be that we will win it. Take the chances we made in recent semis and we will be fine.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

matty_f
26-04-2021, 08:07 AM
I agree entirely with both posts here, especially the bit about us doing it the hard way. It's the Hibs way.

I am as happy as I can be that we will win it. Take the chances we made in recent semis and we will be fine.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

That’s it - we need to carry the luck that other trans have had against us in the last semi finals, be clinical when we’re on top (which we will be, imho) and that should see us right.

The Count
26-04-2021, 08:14 AM
Are we a big Scottish club or not!!! Man up embrace being favourites and get the job done.

Since90+2
26-04-2021, 08:21 AM
Are we a big Scottish club or not!!! Man up embrace being favourites and get the job done.

We are a big Scottish club, that doesn't mean you win cup games though. Brora beating Hearts and St Johnstone beating Sevco being two examples of this.

Allez Hibs
26-04-2021, 08:28 AM
Motherwell were the first Premier team we have beaten in the last 3 Cup Competitions all reaching the Semi Final.

I'd say us and St Johnstone are joint favourites.

Mr. Wonderful
26-04-2021, 08:29 AM
The gap between the OF and the rest is gigantic. The gap between the best of the rest and the rest is marginal and largely performance related, with a wee bit of luck thrown in.

Big cup games are akin to derbies, where form and league position goes right out the window.

Clarence
26-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Motherwell were the first Premier team we have beaten in the last 3 Cup Competitions all reaching the Semi Final.

Maybe the lack of a proper test in the knockout games was part of why we were getting caught cold at hampden. That shouldn’t be an excuse as we play prem teams every week but maybe the knockout element made teams play that bit harder than us.

marinello59
26-04-2021, 08:34 AM
Of course we warrant favourite status. That doesn’t guarantee we will win the thing but we are the best team left. It really is a good place to be. :thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
26-04-2021, 08:40 AM
Doesn't matter. The cup won't be won at the bookies. We need to show desire and battle in a way we haven't in our last two semi-finals, and very,very rarely on any Hampden performance in our entire history.

Keith_M
26-04-2021, 08:43 AM
St Johnstone beat us 3-0 in the League Cup then went on to win it.

They put The Rangers out of the Scottish Cup yesterday, one of only two domestic defeats they've had this season.

St Mirren knocked The Rangers out of the League Cup, so they've shown they can be dangerous in one-off games.

Dundee United annihilated Aberdeen, a team we've had trouble beating over the last few seasons.

Hisb have been more consistent than any of them in the league, but this is not a league scenario, it's a competition where losing only once sees you knocked out...

So no, I don't see any real favourites.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-04-2021, 08:46 AM
Whether we warrant it or not, I don't think that it does us any favours.

Eyrie
26-04-2021, 09:15 AM
My view on the League Cup semi final line up was that if those fixtures were played ten times, we'd win the trophy four times and each of the other clubs twice.

I've got a similar view on the Scottish Cup, regardless of who wins tonight.

So I make us favourites, but I'm sensible enough to recognise that we aren't even probable to win it, let alone "guaranteed" in the entitled view of those who will have the knives out for Ross if we don't.

Diclonius
26-04-2021, 09:16 AM
Yes. We have the strongest squad and are only behind the OF in performance this season.

We SHOULD win it. That's a far cry from saying we will, though.

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2021, 09:25 AM
If you know absolutely nothing about Scottish football and look at the league table you would say Hibs were favourites.

If you know even the slightest wee bit about Scottish football you will know that every team left in it will fancy themselves to win it and it will come down to performance on the day.

Exactly everyone was talking about avoiding Rangers in the semi before they had even played!

1van Sprou7e
26-04-2021, 09:32 AM
Now stop it, you know he’s available🤨
We’ll miss Gogic though

Was genuinely asking as I read 2 or 3 times on here that he was out

Zazu62
26-04-2021, 09:35 AM
Actually buzzing cmon

makaveli1875
26-04-2021, 09:36 AM
We might be favourates with the bookmakers but weve struggled against St Johnstone in the league and they tore us a new erse hole in the cup . My hope is we dont get them in the semi and they lose

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 09:38 AM
Would an admin please correct the thread title. It's giving me the boak.

marinello59
26-04-2021, 09:42 AM
Would an admin please correct the thread title. It's giving me the boak.

Nope. :greengrin

Crunchie
26-04-2021, 10:34 AM
We might be favourates with the bookmakers but weve struggled against St Johnstone in the league and they tore us a new erse hole in the cup . My hope is we dont get them in the semi and they lose
We were all over them in the semi from what I recall and didn't take our chances, they're no mugs but definitely not to be feared. We're by far the best team left in the last 4 and I think we'll win it, I'm sure the players will be of the same mindset.

oneone73
26-04-2021, 10:36 AM
If we win it, we'll have beaten three Premiership clubs to do so. It will have been well-earned.

Pagan Hibernia
26-04-2021, 10:37 AM
St Johnstone are the main threat. A big strong solid team who know exactly how to beat us, and have done just that in our last two meetings... though we should have been out of sight before they scored their first in the semi.

the other 3 teams we have their number. 3 wins out of 3 this season against Killie and St Mirren, and 7 points from 9 against United. Nothing to fear from them.

weecounty hibby
26-04-2021, 10:46 AM
We'll be favourites and rightly so. We are 3rd in the league, we have strikers on form, we have a defence only bettered by the OF, we are a better team than any of the others. Hopefully the players all remember this and go on and prove it. It is there for us to win and I believe we will

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 10:50 AM
Nope. :greengrin

Nasty, nasty man.

Onion
26-04-2021, 10:53 AM
Hibs as favourites rarely sits well as shown time and again against smaller sides in cup semis. The last against St J in the LC Semi was the worst, as we'd just lost to lower-league Hearts in the SC Semi. You'd expect us to be extra motivated to put that right, but the team couldn't do it.

Maybe it will be third time lucky. Lack of Hampden experience or being caught cold can't be used as an excuse. What's encouraging this time is Hibs have shown real drive and determination over the past few weeks, when it really mattered under pressure, and our front 3 are on fire. If we can carry that into the semi (and final) we might be on the brink of doing something really special :thumbsup:

Sammy7nil
26-04-2021, 11:00 AM
My view on the League Cup semi final line up was that if those fixtures were played ten times, we'd win the trophy four times and each of the other clubs twice.

I've got a similar view on the Scottish Cup, regardless of who wins tonight.

So I make us favourites, but I'm sensible enough to recognise that we aren't even probable to win it, let alone "guaranteed" in the entitled view of those who will have the knives out for Ross if we don't.

You should lump on Hibs at 9/4 if your stats are correct

loanheadhibby
26-04-2021, 11:51 AM
I can guarantee, St Johnstone will be hoping they draw us in the semi after the last debacle. They'll rightfully think they have our number.

The pressure on Jack Ross will be huge and will continue to build. However, it's maybe time for the players to take the pressure off Jack Ross and come up with the goods. For all the criticism Jack Ross got after the last 2 semi defeats, it's not him the crosses the white line.

I'd like a penny for Scott Allans thoughts as well. It's a shame we don't have him in the squad to rely on.

Coach Jon
26-04-2021, 12:00 PM

Would agree with you, especially having watched their game last night. They look a lot stronger as a unit and have matched Rangers at Ibrox twice in a week despite going behind in both games.
I see them as favourites given their impressive recent Hampden form with 2 clean sheets, so do not want to face them in the semi, especially if we have key players suspended.

green day
26-04-2021, 01:42 PM
Just to temper all the "Oh, St Johnstone are a barry team, I dont want to face them" chat.............

Since the beginning of March;

St Johnstone have won 5, drawn 2 lost 1 - scoring 8 goals and conceding 4 in the process

Hibs have won 5 drawn 1 and lost 2 - scoring 15 goals and conceding 8 in the process

We clearly need to tighten things up as their success is built on defence, ours on attack.

I am not scared of them in the slightest. They may try to 5hitfest their way to the final, but if we play to our capabilities, we beat them.

Caversham Green
26-04-2021, 03:12 PM
I can guarantee, St Johnstone will be hoping they draw us in the semi after the last debacle. They'll rightfully think they have our number.

The pressure on Jack Ross will be huge and will continue to build. However, it's maybe time for the players to take the pressure off Jack Ross and come up with the goods. For all the criticism Jack Ross got after the last 2 semi defeats, it's not him the crosses the white line.

I'd like a penny for Scott Allans thoughts as well. It's a shame we don't have him in the squad to rely on.

I can guarantee that none of the clubs left in the tournament, including St Johnstone, will want to draw Hibs in the semi. We are by a fair distance the biggest club left and after the last semi we have a point to prove. Who in their right mind would want to draw a club like that?

If St Johnstone are foolish enough to think they "have our number" they'll want us in the final. Bring it on.

Onion
26-04-2021, 05:41 PM
We'll rightly be favourites.

But the media asking if St J can "do the double" brings its own set of pressures. Not sure when a non-OF club last won the double (or has ever won it) but it would be incredibly hard to do. If they do it, the Manager of the Year nomination list should be closed with only one winner.

delbert
26-04-2021, 05:53 PM

Not only do they know how to win a cup, they very much know how to turn us over when doing it, frustrate us for a while and it’s obvious that Ross is a very limited manager when it comes to a Plan B. However, if our players can perform on the day, then our best players are better than theirs, so forget predictions, forget righting wrongs, just do your day job !!

ekhibee
26-04-2021, 05:53 PM

They put The Rangers out of the Scottish Cup yesterday, one of only two domestic defeats they've had this season.

St Mirren knocked The Rangers out of the League Cup, so they've shown they can be dangerous in one-off games.

Dundee United annihilated Aberdeen, a team we've had trouble beating over the last few seasons.

Hisb have been more consistent than any of them in the league, but this is not a league scenario, it's a competition where losing only once sees you knocked out...

So no, I don't see any real favourites.

Good points there, for me it's wide open. If I was a neutral (obviously I'm not), I'd probably stick a tenner on the winners of tonights game lifting the trophy, I think both of them are trading at about 9/2 or 5/1. Of course if we do uphold our league form, 9/4 or 5/2 could also be quite tasty.

loanheadhibby
26-04-2021, 05:55 PM
I can guarantee that none of the clubs left in the tournament, including St Johnstone, will want to draw Hibs in the semi. We are by a fair distance the biggest club left and after the last semi we have a point to prove. Who in their right mind would want to draw a club like that?

If St Johnstone are foolish enough to think they "have our number" they'll want us in the final. Bring it on.

You can guarantee?

Hibs have lost 2 semis to a championship team and St Johnstone. We’ve not turned up in either game. Everyone claims Jack Ross can’t win a big game.

Yes we are the biggest club left, we were the biggest club in last of the 4 semi finalists as well. Unfortunately, being the bigger club has absolutely no relevance.

hibee-boys
26-04-2021, 06:06 PM

My thoughts too, appreciate that is up to Jack Ross to pick the right team, system and motivate the players but we need our players to step up in the semi and all being well, the final.

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 06:09 PM
Everyone claims Jack Ross can’t win a big game.

Everyone? You mean some lazy, clichéd idiots.

loanheadhibby
26-04-2021, 06:20 PM
Everyone? You mean some lazy, clichéd idiots.

Ok, a fair section of our support (harsh calling them idiots for having a different view from you) , to which newspapers and pundits have also picked up on. Only one way to stop such cliches.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2021, 06:25 PM
We'll rightly be favourites.

But the media asking if St J can "do the double" brings its own set of pressures. Not sure when a non-OF club last won the double (or has ever won it) but it would be incredibly hard to do. If they do it, the Manager of the Year nomination list should be closed with only one winner.

I think I read last night Aberdeen won doubles twice in the 80s and are the only non OF side to do so.

We should have done it in 2007 and came mighty close again in 2016. I don't think anyone other than us has come as close in recent times until St Johnstone now.

Edit: Aberdeen the year the won the LC under McIness. Incidentally they were beaten in the SC semi final by St Johnstone.

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 06:39 PM
Ok, a fair section of our support (harsh calling them idiots for having a different view from you) , to which newspapers and pundits have also picked up on. Only one way to stop such cliches.

Sorry, but it is idiotic to say that he can't win big games. We've been winning big games all season and we'll continue to do so. We won a big game on Saturday despite everything that happened.

Nisbet's penalty miss against Hearts wasn't because Ross can't win big games and neither was our strikers' inability to finish chances against St Johnstone.

Phil MaGlass
26-04-2021, 06:44 PM
I think St.J are the team to beat, I also think they will beat us. I would prefer them in the Semis rather than the final.

green day
26-04-2021, 06:46 PM
Genuinely hope none of the players read this negative pish.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Onion
26-04-2021, 06:50 PM
Sorry, but it is idiotic to say that he can't win big games. We've been winning big games all season and we'll continue to do so. We won a big game on Saturday despite everything that happened.

Nisbet's penalty miss against Hearts wasn't because Ross can't win big games and neither was our strikers' inability to finish chances against St Johnstone.

Previous criticism of JR in "big games" was justified. His numbers were awful.

But the way the team has performed over the last few weeks in tough Cup and league matches under a lot of pressure has been impressive. We've found some real team spirit and striking force to reckon with.

B.H.F.C
26-04-2021, 06:50 PM
Genuinely hope none of the players read this negative pish.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Works both ways because I genuinely hope I don’t witness another negative semi final!

B.H.F.C
26-04-2021, 06:53 PM

But the way the team has performed over the last few weeks in tough Cup and league matches under a lot of pressure has been impressive. We've found some real team spirit and striking force to reckon with.

Agree with this. Since the last semi final we’ve won some important games at important moments. Showed a fair bit bottle to get through on Saturday after doing our best to throw it away.

Borderhibbie76
26-04-2021, 06:54 PM
You can guarantee?

Hibs have lost 2 semis to a championship team and St Johnstone. We’ve not turned up in either game. Everyone claims Jack Ross can’t win a big game.

Yes we are the biggest club left, we were the biggest club in last of the 4 semi finalists as well. Unfortunately, being the bigger club has absolutely no relevance.

Sorry but its completely wrong to suggest we never showed up in last 2 semis.. we really should have beat Hearts and only had ourselves to blame for not doing so...and we should have been 3 goals up at HT against St J. The second half was completely unacceptable but its totally wrong to say we never showed up in either game...lets no rewrite history here

WeeRussell
26-04-2021, 07:01 PM
Of course. We are definitely the best side left in the competition and therefore rightfully favourites.

Odds don’t take into the account that we might not turn up or that we have lost a few semis and finals we shouldn’t have in the past.

Favourites get beat every day. Nobody is saying we are certainties, or even particularly strong favourites. But we are the right favourites.

WeeRussell
26-04-2021, 07:04 PM

True. But in both scenarios you would still say hibs are favourites.

loanheadhibby
26-04-2021, 07:47 PM
Sorry but its completely wrong to suggest we never showed up in last 2 semis.. we really should have beat Hearts and only had ourselves to blame for not doing so...and we should have been 3 goals up at HT against St J. The second half was completely unacceptable but its totally wrong to say we never showed up in either game...lets no rewrite history here

Should have! 2 great words. Sadly should have does not win trophies.

A defeat to a championship team and horsing from St Johnstone would suggest otherwise.

Bishop Hibee
26-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Favourites but the Huns and the Sheep were favourites at the weekend and see how that worked out.

chrisski33
26-04-2021, 08:11 PM
Given our recent cup history (except 2016) i cant see how we can be favourites to win. If rather we weren't favourites as think we would have a better chance.

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 08:13 PM
Favourites but the Huns and the Sheep were favourites at the weekend and see how that worked out.

St Mirren are favourites tonight too.

Hibernia&Alba
26-04-2021, 08:17 PM
I think it's fair enough, given the teams remaining. I wouldn't be confident about picking a winner, though, as there isn't much between the teams and they can all beat each other.

jgl07
26-04-2021, 08:37 PM

I recall a League Cup final where Hibs had beat Celtic in the quarter-final and Rangers in the semi-final but lost to Livingston in the final.

loanheadhibby
26-04-2021, 08:53 PM
St Johnstone have proven they know how to win a cup already this season. They also convincingly beat us not long ago at Hampden and just went to Ibrox and knocked out the best team in the country.

I'd make them slight favourites IMO.
It's a tough one to decide who are favourites. We throw in the odd shocker on the big occasion but maybe I'm being negative as it's my own team.

Caversham Green
26-04-2021, 09:00 PM
You can guarantee?

I was echoing your "guarantee" that St Johnstone wanted to draw Hibs in the semi - they don't, for the reasons laid out in my post. It's nonsense to say the bigger club has no relevance, regardless of what happened in the last semi-final they are less likely to beat Hibs than any of the other teams simply because Hibs are the strongest side left. If Rangers had beaten St Johnstone would you want us to get them in the semis rather than Kilmarnock or St Mirren?

WeeRussell
26-04-2021, 09:03 PM
It's a tough one to decide who are favourites. We throw in the odd shocker on the big occasion but maybe I'm being negative as it's my own team.

It’s not a tough one at all. It’s tough to pick a winner, maybe. But us being favourites is a fact.

heretoday
26-04-2021, 09:31 PM
You wait 100 years for a bus and two come along in quick succession.

hibbydog
26-04-2021, 09:35 PM

It is and it isn’t.

Performance and chances were good in both games. Losing our composure in front of goal and basic finishing was awful.

And letting the heads go down when we miss chances is totally unacceptable.

I really hope we’ve learned from these games.

NAE NOOKIE
26-04-2021, 11:10 PM
Looking at league positions the bookies are always going to make us favourites, we all know looking at previous semi finals that we are far from certainties to win this.

Our forwards are scoring just now, but the absolute fact is that they need about 4 chances to score one goal between them, the QOTS, Stranraer and even Motherwell game on Saturday shows that, after Motherwell I was thinking that if we had had Leigh Griffiths in the side he would have bagged a hat trick by half time there were so many good balls played between the back 4 and keeper with not one of our two forwards within a yard of connecting. The same goes for the two goals we lost, ok the first was a fluke, but the second one was rank poor defending.

We need to sort that out, it's one thing to be so profligate against teams when you know another chance will come along in a minute, it's not how you win semi finals or finals.

shetlandhibee
26-04-2021, 11:52 PM
Looking at league positions the bookies are always going to make us favourites, we all know looking at previous semi finals that we are far from certainties to win this.

Our forwards are scoring just now, but the absolute fact is that they need about 4 chances to score one goal between them, the QOTS, Stranraer and even Motherwell game on Saturday shows that, after Motherwell I was thinking that if we had had Leigh Griffiths in the side he would have bagged a hat trick by half time there were so many good balls played between the back 4 and keeper with not one of our two forwards within a yard of connecting. The same goes for the two goals we lost, ok the first was a fluke, but the second one was rank poor defending.

We need to sort that out, it's one thing to be so profligate against teams when you know another chance will come along in a minute, it's not how you win semi finals or finals.
:top marks IMO if wed had griffiths instead of nisbet a lot of the last few games weve had he would have buried a barrow load of goals:agree:

HFC93
27-04-2021, 12:07 AM
I quite like all the attention St Johnstone are getting. Chance to win a double. Not something they will be used to. Hopefully it gets to them.

Hibernia&Alba
27-04-2021, 04:12 AM
I quite like all the attention St Johnstone are getting. Chance to win a double. Not something they will be used to. Hopefully it gets to them.

It might work the other way and take the pressure off them. They've won one trophy already, so they've already exceeded expectations.

Steve20
27-04-2021, 06:45 AM

Rewriting history would be suggesting either semi final was anything other than an embarrassment. The Hearts one we were garbage, no excuse for not winning that. The St Johnstone one we chucked it after going a goal down. If Utd happen to get the first goal, are the players going to just go "oh well, it's gone" again? Taking chances and not chucking it are part of performances and in both semi finals we were awful. We bottled both. Time for the players to stand up and make up for that.

League cup should have been won. It wasn't
The Scottish cup should be won. No excuses this time.

green day
27-04-2021, 07:27 AM
It might work the other way and take the pressure off them. They've won one trophy already, so they've already exceeded expectations.

I think they are feeling the pressure - and being favourites does them no favours as their best performances have been from flying under the radar.

Their fans have been hyper in the lead up to the draw with chat about doubles, best team in the last 30 years etc etc...........and now some of them are worried about St Mirren, ffs.

One thing is for sure, fans of all teams have those who are optimistic and pessemistic - and they are no different.

Bristolhibby
27-04-2021, 07:29 AM
We were all over them in the semi from what I recall and didn't take our chances, they're no mugs but definitely not to be feared. We're by far the best team left in the last 4 and I think we'll win it, I'm sure the players will be of the same mindset.

Yes, a common thing with Hibs this season. Should have been well in the lead on Saturday, so much that conceding 2 shouldn’t have mattered,

Not taking chances leaves up wide open to sucker punches (see LC semi). A one two before and after HT, game over.

J

Onion
27-04-2021, 07:55 AM
Had May 2016 not happened, all the attention and pressure would have been on Hibs. The media would be interviewing every living Hibee about our chances, what it would mean, past defeats blah blah . But that's done. Instead, UK-wide media will be on St Johnstone - the team who's goalie knocked out the favourites and are now on their way to an historic cup double.

I like that.

Pressure will build for their semifinal and will be off the scale if they reach the final. St J have always been the classic underdog but not this time. Let's see how they handle that.

Fergus52
27-04-2021, 07:58 AM

Against Aberdeen and Hearts, yeah, but thats a very small sample size.

I still don't understand folk including games against celtic and rangers in those stats as if we have a right to be regularly beating them both. Especially when in just about every game against the old firm this season we have looked pretty good, and should have been the only team to beat Rangers if we actually had competent refs.

Greenbeard
27-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Hibs are now best priced 2/1 (lowest 13/8)
St Johnstone 11/4 (5/2)
Dundee Utd 100/30 (11/4)
St Mirren 4/1 (4/1)

Pressure as favourites? £3m value for winning the cup according to The Sun (via BBC Sport Gossip I would add). That puts pressure on all four.

Killiehibbie
27-04-2021, 07:06 PM
Hibs are now best priced 2/1 (lowest 13/8)
St Johnstone 11/4 (5/2)
Dundee Utd 100/30 (11/4)
St Mirren 4/1 (4/1)

Pressure as favourites? £3m value for winning the cup according to The Sun (via BBC Sport Gossip I would add). That puts pressure on all four.

You can get 4/1 Dundee Utd and that makes less than 100% book.