PDA

View Full Version : Third place now not so important

one day maybe...
25-04-2021, 09:26 PM
With the West coast mob pumped out by St Johnstone, do we now look at managing the last few games of our season differently.
Both 3rd & 4th place will enter Europe at the same stage, with whomever winning the Scottish Cup guaranteed European football until xmas.
So our team against St Johnstone next Saturday could be a little different. Why risk injury or suspension?

Macy

Gray
McGregor
Porteous
Stevenson

Wright
Hallberg
Magennis
Bradley

Shanley
Laidlaw

Lets see what some of these young guys have about them.

Solid at the back with good experience to talk these hungry young players through a game.

WeeRussell
25-04-2021, 09:31 PM
I can’t see that we change an awful lot. We should be just as keen in our bid to finish third, and would be a bit of a failing if we don’t from this position (especially looking at Aberdeen today). Aren’t we just one win from securing it now? If so, I don’t think there’s any way Jack Ross goes second string on Saturday.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-04-2021, 09:33 PM
Momentum

25-04-2021, 09:33 PM
I said a couple of months ago giving the Europa League spot to the cup winners instead of to 3rd in the league was wrong. 3rd should get the Europa League and cup winners should get the Europa Conference.

hibbysam
25-04-2021, 09:36 PM
If we draw st Johnstone, get the youngsters out and kick them up and down the place.

CB Hibs 68
25-04-2021, 09:37 PM
Season now boils down to two cup matches.Win them both and we are in heaven .Lose one of them and it will be a real hard one to take.At least now whoever we play no one surely will be thinking because we are the biggest team left in the competition that we will walk it.Regardless of the draw we will have a tough game and I am sure fans of all the other teams left will be fancying thier chances.

one day maybe...
25-04-2021, 09:39 PM
If we draw St Johnstone in the semi final, I think its quite important who we put on the park against them next Saturday. Just look at the 6 changes Dundee Utd made today, they gave their players a rest midweek to avoid picking up stupid, red cards or injuries before todays game.
Just my opinion in thinking third place is not as important as getting to the final now.

B.H.F.C
25-04-2021, 09:44 PM
Would leave Boyle out next week. He’s the one player that I would dread losing.

Think there are plenty things we can do to cope without most others but he’s the one player that we just can’t replace.

Allez Hibs
25-04-2021, 09:47 PM
Scottish Cup is now more important than 3rd place.

Its a double prize.

DaveF
25-04-2021, 09:49 PM
£200,000 difference between 3rd and 4th so it's full strength until we secure it.

hibbysam
25-04-2021, 09:50 PM
£200,000 difference between 3rd and 4th so it's full strength until we secure it.

£200k or reportedly millions for winning the cup... especially considering I don’t think we even need one more point in my mind for third.

Greenbeard
25-04-2021, 09:51 PM
And how much for guaranteed group football through to Xmas?

WeeRussell
25-04-2021, 09:52 PM
£200k or reportedly millions for winning the cup... especially considering I don’t think we even need one more point in my mind for third.

To add the two together would be nice though. Probably agree with your second sentence but I think we should remain professional and focussed until the job is done.

We have a chance to make this one hell of a season. It’s already going to be a decent one (despite what some may say about the cup implications)

Allez Hibs
25-04-2021, 09:52 PM
It's a bit of a tightrope for Jack Ross now with the Scottish Cup situation and rewards on offer.

PPZPOL
25-04-2021, 10:01 PM

Watching Aberdeen today suggests to me we could put out the Hibs over 80’s walking football team in the rest of our league games as they are not winning their last three matches.

Magpie
25-04-2021, 10:02 PM
Playing them next week gives us a good opportunity to prepare should we face them in the semi final.

DaveF
25-04-2021, 10:05 PM
And how much for guaranteed group football through to Xmas?

A lot more but all I'm saying secure 3rd this weekend and then focus on the cup. We can't afford to be dismissing 200k.

Unseen work
25-04-2021, 10:14 PM
We’ve worked all season to be 3rd and make our claim to be ‘best of the rest’

Now because there’s a slightly better opportunity to win a cup it’s not as important?

Absolutley nonsense and something I hope and think Ross/the players don’t even think about.

3rd would be brilliant for a club, it’s something we haven’t achieved nearly enough.

Keep the same team that’s been playing really well for 2 months and let them go into the remaining league and cup games with confidence.

We’ll need to give Magennis/Hallberg and Cadden more minutes as they’ll likely come in for Gogic and Boyle.

2 games left to win the Scottish cup is still a really long way to go.

Don’t chuck something you’ve worked hard for all season.

Allez Hibs
25-04-2021, 10:16 PM

Now because there’s a slightly better opportunity to win a cup it’s not as important?

Absolutley nonsense and something I hope and think Ross/the players don’t even think about.

3rd would be brilliant for a club, it’s something we haven’t achieved nearly enough.

Keep the same team that’s been playing really well for 2 months and let them go into the remaining league and cup games with confidence.

We’ll need to give Magennis/Hallberg and Cadden more minutes as they’ll likely come in for Gogic and Boyle.

But the prize on offer for winning the Scottish Cup by far outweighs the league position now. It has effectively become 3rd place with Rangers going out tonight.

Unseen work
25-04-2021, 10:21 PM
But the prize on offer for winning the Scottish Cup by far outweighs the league position now. It has effectively become 3rd place with Rangers going out tonight.

But it’s not 3rd place.

I don’t get why after performing well and getting good results for 2 months or so we’d pick a completely different starting 11 for Saturday.

I’d want to play the strongest team possible until 3rd is 100% confirmed at least, after that if anyone needs a rest or is struggling fair enough.

But I’d be raging if the target was 3rd and a cup but all of a sudden Ross and the players go in with the attitude that all of a sudden 3rd doesn’t matter anymore.

We need to win two one off games - very difficult but very possible. I want the same players that have played well consistently this season to keep going all the way and get us there.

one day maybe...
25-04-2021, 10:27 PM
But it’s not 3rd place.

I don’t get why after performing well and getting good results for 2 months or so we’d pick a completely different starting 11 for Saturday.

I’d want to play the strongest team possible until 3rd is 100% confirmed at least, after that if anyone needs a rest or is struggling fair enough.

But I’d be raging if the target was 3rd and a cup but all of a sudden Ross and the players go in with the attitude that all of a sudden 3rd doesn’t matter anymore.

We need to win two one off games - very difficult but very possible. I want the same players that have played well consistently this season to keep going all the way and get us there.

Normally its a month between Scottish Cup games, the scenario is now that we may play St Johnstone 2 weeks in a row. For me the league game takes 2nd place to the Scottish Cup and i'd be protecting Boyle, Nisbet, Porteous and a few others from a needless injury.
Still think we have enough in the tank to finish 3rd. Don't lose to Aberdeen and it's in the bag. I think St Johnstone will ret players in pursuit of another cup win..

Allez Hibs
25-04-2021, 10:27 PM
But it’s not 3rd place.

Economically its now what is most important for the Football Club.

scoopyboy
25-04-2021, 10:50 PM
Economically its now what is most important for the Football Club.

Economically what is best for the club is to finish third and win the cup.

Not even an argument in that.

Musselbound
25-04-2021, 10:50 PM
The whole dynamic has changed and winning the cup is now more crucial than finishing third. But is Boyle not suspended from cup semi?

B.H.F.C
25-04-2021, 10:52 PM

The reward we’ve been assuming would be on offer for third isn’t going to be there. Getting to say you’re best of the rest in the league is fairly insignificant against the reward for winning the cup now. It’s potentially transformational for the club.

Third has definitely become less important tonight but, thankfully, we’ll still get it even if we lose all three games IMO.

green day
25-04-2021, 10:54 PM
The whole dynamic has changed and winning the cup is now more crucial than finishing third. But is Boyle not suspended from cup semi?

No

scoopyboy
25-04-2021, 10:58 PM
No

He never read the thread green day :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

green day
25-04-2021, 11:01 PM

Didnt want to point him in that direction, I had assumed you already deleted it :devil:

The_Exile
25-04-2021, 11:02 PM
Finish strong, end of. No wrapping anybody in cotton wool, all hands to the pumps.

Musselbound
25-04-2021, 11:07 PM

Hadn't read all of it. Just catching up.

danhibees1875
26-04-2021, 06:00 AM

Think there are plenty things we can do to cope without most others but he’s the one player that we just can’t replace.

I'd rest Boyle, along with anyone else that actually needs a rest.

Pilrig_Sauzee
26-04-2021, 06:12 AM
Win every game till season is over, that’s the target and it’s possible. We are best side outiside OF. And should believe in ourselves. Manage each game if well ahead, but go out to win every time.

calumhibee1
26-04-2021, 06:14 AM
It’s definitely worth resting players a bit imo.

We’ll probably get 3rd place regardless but even if we don’t, the prize for 3rd or 4th is very similar.

Ronniekirk
26-04-2021, 06:17 AM
Win every game till season is over, that’s the target and it’s possible. We are best side outiside OF. And should believe in ourselves. Manage each game if well ahead, but go out to win every time.

Some players looked tired and need a rest When we made substitutions it gave us more energy and helped us get to penalties
Think Ross needs to now make decisions that gives us best chance of winning the Cup
If thst means resting some players and finishing fourth I would now take that as loss of income between third and fourth would be more than made up in getting to group stages of new European competition
Looked at Dundee United Rested key players versus Killie and got pumped
Brought them back fresher v Dins and they pumped them
McNulty looked back to his best but it was an impressive team performance
The caveat being it was only Aberdeen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allez Hibs
26-04-2021, 06:21 AM
Would take finishing 4th right now if it guaranteed winning the Scottish Cup. Dynamics of the season have changed and the priority for the club should have changed as a result.

green day
26-04-2021, 06:22 AM
It’s definitely worth resting players a bit imo.

We’ll probably get 3rd place regardless but even if we don’t, the prize for 3rd or 4th is very similar.

Some players looked tired and need a rest When we made substitutions it gave us more energy and helped us get to penalties
Think Ross needs to now make decisions that gives us best chance of winning the Cup
If thst means resting some players and finishing fourth I would now take that as loss of income between third and fourth would be more than made up in getting to group stages of new European competition

Agree with both of these, we will be playing a semi final a week on Saturday/Sunday, and - whoever it is against - it will be tough.

Dundee Utd showed that resting players can pay dividends.

And, frankly, we could probably play our U18s from now on in and Aberdeen barely look capable of catching us.

Not In The Know
26-04-2021, 06:38 AM
I said a couple of months ago giving the Europa League spot to the cup winners instead of to 3rd in the league was wrong. 3rd should get the Europa League and cup winners should get the Europa Conference.

I agree. Last night I was thinking about it and it’s allocated by uefa. They give the more prestigious slot to the cup as its ran by the national association’s. Eg not a premiership body.

jacomo
26-04-2021, 07:39 AM
Would take finishing 4th right now if it guaranteed winning the Scottish Cup. Dynamics of the season have changed and the priority for the club should have changed as a result.

But of course.

A very real path to the Scottish Cup has now opened and it carries the huge incentive of prolonged European football.

Luckily we are also in the box seat to finish third but it has to be all about the cup now.

Mon Hibs. What an opportunity.

Danderhall Hibs
26-04-2021, 07:43 AM

It always did. Next season should we just tell the manager the target is to win the cup but not worry about league placing?

green day
26-04-2021, 08:03 AM
It always did. Next season should we just tell the manager the target is to win the cup but not worry about league placing?

Exactly right - the fact that people were "relying" on Rangers to be our insurance for the Euro spot was as dangerous as assuming we were a shoe in to get there in the first place !

The results yesterday prove that football is unpredictable.

In a way I am pleased that St Johnstone fans (and make no mistake they are) think their name is on the trophy.

I think there are twists and turns to be had in the semi finals - there is no guarantee that either of the top 6 clubs will be in the final.

Lets just see who we get in the semi and manage it accordingly.

Spike Mandela
26-04-2021, 08:05 AM
We’ve only got 4, hopefully 5 games to go this season. Full strength until 3rd secured. Hopefully by the time of Aberdeen midweek game it is secured and we can then rest important players.

lucky
26-04-2021, 08:11 AM
Scottish Cup is now more important than 3rd place.

Its a double prize.

The Scottish Cup was and always will be more important than finishing third. Football is about winning leagues and cups. In Scotland we only have two teams with the financial clout to win the league so winning the cup is our best chance of success. Third place gets us into Europe as does winning the cup, but it’s right that winners get bigger prizes not the team that finishes third in a twelve team league.

rossevenil
26-04-2021, 08:13 AM
Think someone like McGinn needs a break more than most so would definitely be getting SDG in for the next league match at least surely as he`s looking a bit jaded in games to me??
Certainly think we need to take the chance to give some a wee break even if its 45mins each?
Look how bright United looked against the Sheep having rested a few players recently,could make all the difference in the Cup games.

I`d like to think we should have enough to get over the line for 3rd from our current position.

Newry Hibs
26-04-2021, 08:47 AM
There's kind of an assumption that the only way to get 'Christmas Europa' football is to win the cup.
No doubt that s the best way now.
But ..... We could also win whatever ties await us*.
As posted elsewhere, we would need to win 3 rounds to get to the group stage of the conference.

I don't suppose anyone has an inkling of the type of team we could face?

*I appreciate there would be massive extra effort playing these ties that could affect out league campaign next season.

hibeedonald
26-04-2021, 08:48 AM
We will play a weakend st j team next I reckon

Keith_M
26-04-2021, 08:51 AM
Can't we just keep going for both?

jeffers
26-04-2021, 09:04 AM
Think someone like McGinn needs a break more than most so would definitely be getting SDG in for the next league match at least surely as he`s looking a bit jaded in games to me??
Certainly think we need to take the chance to give some a wee break even if its 45mins each?
Look how bright United looked against the Sheep having rested a few players recently,could make all the difference in the Cup games.

I`d like to think we should have enough to get over the line for 3rd from our current position.

I agree with you but I don’t think he’ll play SDG, Stranraer was a perfect opportunity to do so especially after Cadden pulled out but he brought McGinn back in. Personally I’d rest McGinn, Boyle and Newell for Saturday. Would help if Murphy wasn’t constantly injured and Cadden recovered by the weekend.

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 09:15 AM
Can't we just keep going for both?

Jack Ross will.

He wants to finish third, rightly so.

Do we really need to rest players? The final, if we get there, is on 22 May, a full week after our last league game.

Isn't a week enough recovery time? A longer lay off could take the edge off the players.

Eyrie
26-04-2021, 09:24 AM
If Cadden is available then I'd be tempted to rest Boyle next week to avoid any risk of injury ahead of the semi and two league games in seven days.

I'm not seeing much scope for other changes however.

ED Hibee
26-04-2021, 09:26 AM
While I appreciate that resting players sounds like the sensible option. Look at the schedule and the number of games we played in 2016. Sometimes momentum and going for it on both fronts is actually the better option.

Ross just needs to improve his game management and rest key players at certain points during games (Saturday’s game being a good example of how not to do it!) Wholesale changes to teams and resting players can sometimes be more detrimental than the risk of players tiring.

scoopyboy
26-04-2021, 09:29 AM
We will play a weakend st j team next I reckon

SJ need to try and win.

If Hibs win the Cup they can qualify for Europe by finishing fifth.

h1bs4life
26-04-2021, 09:32 AM
With the West coast mob pumped out by St Johnstone, do we now look at managing the last few games of our season differently.
Both 3rd & 4th place will enter Europe at the same stage, with whomever winning the Scottish Cup guaranteed European football until xmas.
So our team against St Johnstone next Saturday could be a little different. Why risk injury or suspension?

Macy

Gray
McGregor
Porteous
Stevenson

Wright
Hallberg
Magennis
Bradley

Shanley
Laidlaw

Lets see what some of these young guys have about them.

Solid at the back with good experience to talk these hungry young players through a game.

Would go with some similar for next Saturday , sure St Johnstone will be resting players next week as well.

Macy

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Wright
Hallberg
Magennis
Gogic as suspended for semi final.

2 from Shanley / Laidlaw or Bradley or someone else not aware of.

Then wait and see how we get on in the semi final before looking at resting players.
Another good thing about the stickies loosing is they will no doubt be more determined to finish the league unbeaten and stlll have to play the sheep.

Brightside
26-04-2021, 09:44 AM
Jack Ross will.

He wants to finish third, rightly so.

Do we really need to rest players? The final, if we get there, is on 22 May, a full week after our last league game.

Isn't a week enough recovery time? A longer lay off could take the edge off the players.

We have to keep going for both.....losing games by resting players is just the wrong thing to do mentally. :aok:

Crazyhorse
26-04-2021, 10:28 AM

What’s the situation with Gogic?

I can’t see that Dons team winning three games so I would think Hibs are home and hosed for 3rd. For the cup it will come down to how we handle the pressure, we are the best team left in it but Rangers were until yesterday and they ****** it up. I hope the players go into the game aiming to set things right after the last two semi finals.

Sammy7nil
26-04-2021, 10:31 AM

Is Boyle not suspended for the semi ?

Ronniekirk
26-04-2021, 10:50 AM

Maybee s Aye , Maybes Naw

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 10:51 AM

No.

Stanton Spence
26-04-2021, 10:59 AM
The Scottish Cup was and always will be more important than finishing third. Football is about winning leagues and cups. In Scotland we only have two teams with the financial clout to win the league so winning the cup is our best chance of success. Third place gets us into Europe as does winning the cup, but it’s right that winners get bigger prizes not the team that finishes third in a twelve team league.I disagree with that bud and think that best euro spots should go on your league placing. You can quite easily be gifted a Scottish cup with getting drawn against lower league clubs all the way to the final and then again in the final. It's just your luck off the draw but I don't think you can finish 3rd in the league by playing lower league teams or through luck and at the end of the season the league table doesn't lie. I would always give a euro spot to the eventual cup winners but it shouldn't be the place that guarantees you group placings.
They took the euro places from the cup runners up a few seasons ago for a reason.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Lago
26-04-2021, 11:21 AM
There are no guarantees in football, you play every game to win, it's the only way.

Onion
26-04-2021, 11:26 AM
There are no guarantees in football, you play every game to win, it's the only way.

Hibs are the form side at the moment, winning crucial games under pressure.

Fiddle about with that at your peril.

lord bunberry
26-04-2021, 11:48 AM
I’d play a full team against St Johnston and secure that third spot then rest players for the Aberdeen game. We need to avoid the scenario were we end up not winning the cup or securing third place.

blackpoolhibs
26-04-2021, 12:07 PM
I heard all day Saturday about Jack Ross's inability to game manage the team, i feel we have 3rd place wrapped up already, and for me good game management would be getting his best team fit and ready for the cup semi.

And that means resting a few, and giving players who've not been regulars some game time.

This is the exact reason we have a squad.

500miles
26-04-2021, 12:12 PM
When we won the Cup last time we never had the opportunity to rest and we were much sharper than Rangers. I think we should be wary of taking our foot off the gas.