PDA

View Full Version : Third place

Stuart93
25-04-2021, 08:29 PM
Absolutely mental that we’re on course to finish 3rd for the first time in what is it 16 years? And the prize now is going to be pretty meaningless in terms of the reward is no better than 4th.

Craziness. Only us. All or nothing now

Iggy Pope
25-04-2021, 08:31 PM
Covered on about a zillion schizo posts already.

IberianHibernian
25-04-2021, 08:33 PM
Absolutely mental that we’re on course to finish 3rd for the first time in what is it 16 years? And the prize now is going to be pretty meaningless in terms of the reward is no better than 4th.

Craziness. Only us. All or nothing nowApart from pride , is there not a big financial difference between 3rd and 4th ? Bigger than say between 9th and 10th .

25-04-2021, 08:34 PM
If we don’t win cup, then hibs and Aberdeen would go in the same round?

Pretty Boy
25-04-2021, 08:36 PM
Apart from pride , is there not a big financial difference between 3rd and 4th ? Bigger than say between 9th and 10th .

There’s a far bigger financial incentive to win the cup.

It would be great to do both but we have an unprecedented opportunity to win another Scottish Cup and play group stage European football. That has to be the priority.

3rd will take care of itself, and I think we are almost done there. It would be great to do both but I’d sacrifice 3rd in a minute for the cup.

Magpie
25-04-2021, 08:37 PM
If we don’t win cup, then hibs and Aberdeen would go in the same round?

Yep.

Borderhibbie76
25-04-2021, 08:39 PM
Yup the Cup MUST take priority now...what a chance to win it for 2nd time in 5 years and the prize is massive...I reckon 3rd is more or less done anyway

Andy74
25-04-2021, 08:42 PM

It would be great to do both but we have an unprecedented opportunity to win another Scottish Cup and play group stage European football. That has to be the priority.

3rd will take care of itself, and I think we are almost done there. It would be great to do both but I’d sacrifice 3rd in a minute for the cup.

Certainly now yeah, 3rd has become pretty meaningless in the scheme of things.

Gordy M
25-04-2021, 08:44 PM
Well if there ever was a time to make up for the last 2 semi finals then its now. Well done to Ross and the players getting there and getting that opportunity. Yes the Europe thing is a bit of a bugger but the Favs have just gone out its a chance for us to win the SC......i think we will win it now.

Iain G
25-04-2021, 08:46 PM
Certainly now yeah, 3rd has become pretty meaningless in the scheme of things.

We still get more winners money for third place than fourth though so not meaningless. We need that win inthe next league game though.

Since452
25-04-2021, 08:50 PM
Think I'll go out for the day during the semi. My nerves are already shot.

IberianHibernian
25-04-2021, 08:52 PM
So does this mean that unless we win the cup 5th won`t qualify for new tournament so St Johnstone have less / no incentive to overtake Livi for 5th . Like us cup will be priority . Likewise Dundee United and St Mirren . Killie still in relegation fight . Best semi draw for us would be v Killie who will be concentrating on avoiding playoffs .

Magpie
25-04-2021, 08:53 PM
Think I'll go out for the day during the semi. My nerves are already shot.

The last semi final against St Johnstone was tough to take, that’s without thinking about the Hearts game. We are due some luck!

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 08:55 PM
Third is almost meaningless now.

Jones28
25-04-2021, 08:56 PM
A third place finish is never meaningless

JimBHibees
25-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Apart from pride , is there not a big financial difference between 3rd and 4th ? Bigger than say between 9th and 10th .

The difference in 2019 was 250 k so not insignificant

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 09:00 PM
A third place finish is never meaningless

I said almost.

JimBHibees
25-04-2021, 09:00 PM

Disagree more prize money and would assume a later European round than the position below

Alex Trager
25-04-2021, 09:01 PM

Agree here 100%.

So much so I’d potentially rest players at the weekend tbh.

The cup is the only way to get where we want to be going so the cup has to be the 100% focus

Magpie
25-04-2021, 09:01 PM
Disagree more prize money and would assume a later European round than the position below

Nope, 3rd and 4th both enter the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa Conference League.

Allez Hibs
25-04-2021, 09:02 PM
Massive opportunity now. Hibs just have to go on and win the Scottish Cup now.

Imagine St Johnstone do the Cup Double and get group stage European Football though? How would our season be looked on?

IberianHibernian
25-04-2021, 09:02 PM
Third is almost meaningless now.Maybe but if we finish 4th it`ll mean we`ve taken at most 1 point from our last 3 league games which wouldn`t be a great confidence booster for final if we win semi . A convincing win in league against St J would more or less clinch 3rd and boost confidence for semi especially if against St J again . Would allow us to rest players in last 2 league games if we win semi plus financial boost of finishing 3rd .

JimBHibees
25-04-2021, 09:04 PM
Nope, 3rd and 4th both enter the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa Conference League.

:aok:

bingo70
25-04-2021, 09:04 PM
Agree here 100%.

So much so I’d potentially rest players at the weekend tbh.

The cup is the only way to get where we want to be going so the cup has to be the 100% focus

When there’s a week between games I don’t think there’s any need to rest players.

Momentum from winning games would be more beneficial IMO.

Pretty Boy
25-04-2021, 09:06 PM
Maybe but if we finish 4th it`ll mean we`ve taken at most 1 point from our last 3 league games which wouldn`t be a great confidence booster for final if we win semi . A convincing win in league against St J would more or less clinch 3rd and boost confidence for semi especially if against St J again . Would allow us to rest players in last 2 league games if we win semi plus financial boost of finishing 3rd .

I think Aberdeen had estimated the group stages of either the Europa or Conference League was £4M+. £200K or whatever for finishing 3rd rather than 4th is small fry in comparison.

As I said above finishing 3rd and winning the cup is what everyone should want. However if it comes down to making a tough decision about resting players then from here on we do it in the league. The financial incentives and indeed the glory of winning the Cup far outweigh finishing 1 place higher in the league.

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 09:11 PM
I think Aberdeen had estimated the group stages of either the Europa or Conference League was £4M+. £200K or whatever for finishing 3rd rather than 4th is small fry in comparison.

As I said above finishing 3rd and winning the cup is what everyone should want. However if it comes down to making a tough decision about resting players then from here on we do it in the league. The financial incentives and indeed the glory of winning the Cup far outweigh finishing 1 place higher in the league.

You're correct, but I don't think it'll be necessary.

25-04-2021, 09:24 PM
The last semi final against St Johnstone was tough to take, that’s without thinking about the Hearts game. We are due some luck!

We were lucky yesterday to get an offside goal allowed.

hibbysam
25-04-2021, 09:38 PM
We were lucky yesterday to get an offside goal allowed.

While unlucky not to get a penalty awarded in the same move...

Lago
25-04-2021, 09:54 PM
Nonsense

B.H.F.C
25-04-2021, 09:57 PM
Nonsense

After that result tonight, I now don’t really give a toss about finishing third.

Thankfully, I think we will even if we lose all three remaining league games. But the cup now defines our season.

Allez Hibs
25-04-2021, 09:58 PM

Correct.

CloudSquall
25-04-2021, 09:59 PM
Given a third place finish hasn't been achieved in so long it's nowhere near meaningless for me, f'ing scandalous that a club the size of Hibs hasn't finished in that position for so long.

Northernhibee
25-04-2021, 10:01 PM
Given a third place finish hasn't been achieved in so long it's nowhere near meaningless for me, f'ing scandalous that a club the size of Hibs hasn't finished in that position for so long.

Yep, you just know if we finish third but we don’t win the cup there’ll be some on here undermining the achievement of that.

Heisenberg
25-04-2021, 10:02 PM
Since when was finishing third ever meaningless or something to not be bothered about as a Hibs fan? We haven’t done it in 16 years. I certainly want us to finish 3rd and will be delighted at our achievement in doing so.

Allez Hibs
25-04-2021, 10:04 PM
The end goal of this season is to surely ensure group stage European football that will guarantee millions of pounds to take the club forward whilst winning a trophy at the same time. The Scottish Cup is now the route to secure that.

mcohibs
25-04-2021, 10:08 PM
The end goal of this season is to surely ensure group stage European football that will guarantee millions of pounds to take the club forward whilst winning a trophy at the same time. The Scottish Cup is now the route to secure that.

Does winning the cup guarantee us group stages? Sorry if that's a daft question I'm struggling to understand the permutations of finishing 3rd/4th/cup win

Allez Hibs
25-04-2021, 10:11 PM
Does winning the cup guarantee us group stages? Sorry if that's a daft question I'm struggling to understand the permutations of finishing 3rd/4th/cup win

Mandate from UEFA that all national associations give the best European place (outside champions league) to main cup winners. It could be transformational for Hibs.

bringbackbenny
25-04-2021, 10:12 PM

Coming 3rd or 4th in the league now makes no difference for Europe. Only guarantee for group games is winning the cup.

matty_f
25-04-2021, 10:12 PM
It’s mental that Rangers going out the cup has heaped pressure on Jack Ross.

We’re having a really good season, but really it’s going to come down, in a lot of ways, to whether or not we win the Scottish Cup, which is a really difficult thing to do.

Although we’re favourites, there’s nobody in left in the cup that isn’t capable of beating us on their day.

That said, what a chance for this group of players to cement their place in history.

Allez Hibs
25-04-2021, 10:14 PM

We’re having a really good season, but really it’s going to come down, in a lot of ways, to whether or not we win the Scottish Cup, which is a really difficult thing to do.

Although we’re favourites, there’s nobody in left in the cup that isn’t capable of beating us on their day.

That said, what a chance for this group of players to cement their place in history.

Agreed 👍

ElginHibbie
25-04-2021, 10:16 PM
3rd may not be the focus now but I can't see a scenario where we win the cup and don't also finish there

green day
25-04-2021, 10:25 PM

I think its mental that people think that way.

Although St J are a decent enough team, I would bet if you asked any of the Hibs players or coaching staff who they wanted to lose today and it was Aberdeen and Rangers.

It opens the draw and the possibilities right up for us - of course its also great for the other 4 teams left in the competition but if you had offered me third place and the semi of the Scottish cup with these teams left in January, I would have bit your hand off.

Frankly the option people were coming up with of "lets hope Rangers beat St Johnstone, win their semi final and possibly win the final..........if we dont make it" is boak inducing.

Wakeyhibee
25-04-2021, 10:29 PM

Got to remember St Johnstone are also in the same position of chasing Europe and the Cup.

scoopyboy
25-04-2021, 10:30 PM
I want to finish 3rd, we have worked so hard for 35 games I can't believe folk want to give that up.

We have a great chance of winning the cup but if we don't it's going to be Jack Dross and he can't win big games all over again.

Rangers going out has changed the whole dynamics of our season.

Pagan Hibernia
25-04-2021, 10:31 PM
What’s the difference in league prize money between 3rd and 4th?

Pretty Boy
25-04-2021, 10:32 PM
Got to remember St Johnstone are also in the same position of chasing Europe and the Cup.

Everyone is in the same position now. The biggest European prize comes from winning the cup.

Every single team and manager is under pressure now because the potential rewards are transformative.

We should be enjoying it. I'd much rather be playing for a huge prize at this stage of the season than ticking off games until we go on holiday.

Pagan Hibernia
25-04-2021, 10:43 PM

Just checked, it’s a couple of hundred thousand quid. Or 8-10 months worth of HSL contributions. So yeah, 3rd is still important.

matty_f
26-04-2021, 12:13 AM
Everyone is in the same position now. The biggest European prize comes from winning the cup.

Every single team and manager is under pressure now because the potential rewards are transformative.

We should be enjoying it. I'd much rather be playing for a huge prize at this stage of the season than ticking off games until we go on holiday.

We definitely should enjoy it.

I should clarify that i don’t necessarily agree with the pressure that will go on to Jack Ross. Third place and two semi finals is a good season relative to our usual seasons - it’ll just be a real anticlimax if we don’t get the big reward for it.

Just_Jimmy
26-04-2021, 12:56 AM
whilst I want to win the cup and I've said before I'd prefer cup over league, I think it's nuts that winning it is seen as better for Europe than third.

the best Europe placing should go to the league. achievements over 38 games compared to 12-8 games should always be a higher reward.

winning a cup and getting into Europe is reward enough.

I want the cup for cups sake.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
26-04-2021, 05:55 AM

Pretty much sums it up however as you say every team left will fancy their chances as per the league cup. Dundee United, st Johnstone and St Mirren have shown great Cup form in one off games this season to suggest it's anyone's cup.

JimBHibees
26-04-2021, 05:56 AM

In 2019 it was 250k or so not sure this season.

Steve20
26-04-2021, 05:57 AM
Yep, you just know if we finish third but we don’t win the cup there’ll be some on here undermining the achievement of that.

Won't be undermining the achievement of 3rd, but will find the season a let down if we don't win the Cup. When you look at the two semi final line ups this season, we should be winning one of them.

Lee Marvin
26-04-2021, 06:02 AM
If Hibe come 3rd but do not win the cup its going to feel like a disappointing season, considering where we are now and what could have been..that result for sure heaps pressure on Ross. Massive pressure.

Hopefully we learned enough from the last few semi's!

green day
26-04-2021, 06:05 AM
If Hibe come 3rd but do not win the cup now its going to f2el like a disappointing season, considering where we are now and what could have been..that result now for sure heaps pressure on Ross. Massive pressure.

Hopefully we have learned enough from the last few semi's!

The best team in the country being put out "heaps pressure on Ross".....

Hilarious

Allez Hibs
26-04-2021, 06:08 AM

Hilarious

He is very lucky to have another chance of winning a semi final without the old firm. It is very unusual to be given another chance like that. A chance he needs to take.

Its a harsh situation Jack Ross is now in but he has to deliver.

mcohibs
26-04-2021, 06:25 AM
He is very lucky to have another chance of winning a semi final without the old firm. It is very unusual to be given another chance like that. A chance he needs to take.

Its a harsh situation Jack Ross is now in but he has to deliver.

Harsh situation? I'm sure JR is delighted with the situation him and the team are in and sees this as a massive opportunity

Sir David Gray
26-04-2021, 06:34 AM

Hilarious

Of course it does.

We're only a few months on after the capitulation to St Johnstone in the League Cup where we were also favourites to win the trophy, two Old Firm free cup semi finals in one season is unheard of and considering what's at stake we need to be winning this one.

Third place would be great considering we haven't done that in a while and given our current position we need to finishing that off but the cup is now the most important thing for me.

We can't allow a semi final line up of us, St Johnstone, Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock/St Mirren slip by.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2021, 06:35 AM

Hilarious

It's true though. It would be exactly the same for Neilson or Glass respectively if they were in our position. There was infinitely less pressure whilst Rangers were in the competition as we had a 'get out clause'.

That isn't to say finishing 3rd and reaching 2 semi finals should be viewed as a bad season if that's what we end up with. It's still a decent return. It has the potential to be so much more though and being the biggest and best team left in the cup and the enhanced rewards that comes with winning the cup brings pressure.

If we want to really kick on and cement our place as the 'best of the rest' (and I hate that phrase but it sort of fits) then this is one hell of an opportunity. As I said above we shouldn't fear the pressure, we should relish it. Get this right and we could be experiencing this pressure a whole lot more for years to come.

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2021, 06:35 AM
Let’s just concentrate on trying to get through the semi first, far too many folk now looking beyond that because Rangers are out, been here before and failed miserably, one game at a time.

green day
26-04-2021, 06:42 AM
Of course it does.

We're only a few months on after the capitulation to St Johnstone in the League Cup where we were also favourites to win the trophy, two Old Firm free cup semi finals in one season is unheard of and considering what's at stake we need to be winning this one.

Third place would be great considering we haven't done that in a while and given our current position we need to finishing that off but the cup is now the most important thing for me.

We can't allow a semi final line up of us, St Johnstone, Dundee Utd and Kilmarnock/St Mirren slip by.

It's true though. It would be exactly the same for Neilson or Glass respectively if they were in our position. There was infinitely less pressure whilst Rangers were in the competition as we had a 'get out clause'.

That isn't to say finishing 3rd and reaching 2 semi finals should be viewed as a bad season if that's what we end up with. It's still a decent return. It has the potential to be so much more though and being the biggest and best team left in the cup and the enhanced rewards that comes with winning the cup brings pressure.

If we want to really kick on and cement our place as the 'best of the rest' (and I hate that phrase but it sort of fits) then this is one hell of an opportunity. As I said above we shouldn't fear the pressure, we should relish it. Get this right and we could be experiencing this pressure a whole lot more for years to come.

I understand your views, but before the weekend we had the chance that both Aberdeen and Rangers were in the semis, now its St J and Dundee Utd - that is a huge opportunity for us.

There seemed to be some narrative on here that Hibs fans wanted Rangers to win the quarter / semi and maybe the final in order that we get pots of Euro cash.

With respect, I would rather be supporting Hibs than that horrific club through 2 and maybe 3 matches which ultimately might have still left us missing out on that Euro cash.

Crunchie
26-04-2021, 06:45 AM
I think its mental that people think that way.

Although St J are a decent enough team, I would bet if you asked any of the Hibs players or coaching staff who they wanted to lose today and it was Aberdeen and Rangers.

It opens the draw and the possibilities right up for us - of course its also great for the other 4 teams left in the competition but if you had offered me third place and the semi of the Scottish cup with these teams left in January, I would have bit your hand off.

Frankly the option people were coming up with of "lets hope Rangers beat St Johnstone, win their semi final and possibly win the final..........if we dont make it" is boak inducing.
:top marksWhat a chance the boys have of glory.

Sir David Gray
26-04-2021, 06:47 AM
I understand your views, but before the weekend we had the chance that both Aberdeen and Rangers were in the semis, now its St J and Dundee Utd - that is a huge opportunity for us.

There seemed to be some narrative on here that Hibs fans wanted Rangers to win the quarter / semi and maybe the final in order that we get pots of Euro cash.

With respect, I would rather be supporting Hibs than that horrific club through 2 and maybe 3 matches which ultimately might have still left us missing out on that Euro cash.

I think we might be agreeing.

It definitely is a huge opportunity.

Heisenberg
26-04-2021, 06:50 AM
So is it going to be full on JR out again if we don’t win the cup?

We might be the favourites but in one off matches all the teams left can give us a game. St Johnstone have already proven how good a cup side they are. We saw bottom six Motherwell take us all the way on Saturday night and that was with us dominating for the majority.

I absolutely appreciate there is now added pressure on JR and the players to win it but if they don’t I can’t say it’ll ruin (for me) what has been a good season and something very promising to build on.

Lee Marvin
26-04-2021, 07:13 AM

We might be the favourites but in one off matches all the teams left can give us a game. St Johnstone have already proven how good a cup side they are. We saw bottom six Motherwell take us all the way on Saturday night and that was with us dominating for the majority.

I absolutely appreciate there is now added pressure on JR and the players to win it but if they don’t I can’t say it’ll ruin (for me) what has been a good season and something very promising to build on.

It will be for some, however most will take your view above (I hope). Wont help his (or Hibs) 'big game loser' mentality one bit though

The Spaceman
26-04-2021, 07:15 AM

We have fared better than any other team in recent years for cup progression outside of the OF. St J another who are good but we have added a strong league run to our bow this season. Three semi finals and third place with Europe is a magnificent season by anyone’s standard, but we need to get one of those semis over the line and win the damn thing. Do that and it’s one of our greatest EVER seasons.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2021, 07:36 AM
We have fared better than any other team in recent years for cup progression outside of the OF. St J another who are good but we have added a strong league run to our bow this season. Three semi finals and third place with Europe is a magnificent season by anyone’s standard, but we need to get one of those semis over the line and win the damn thing. Do that and it’s one of our greatest EVER seasons.

Exactly this.

I can't even preempt my own reaction to what happens in the next few weeks, never mind anyone else's.

It's not a bad position to be in though where the worst case scenario is very good season and the best case is best season since sometime in the 1970s.

Danderhall Hibs
26-04-2021, 07:38 AM
It will be for some, however most will take your view above (I hope). Wont help his (or Hibs) 'big game loser' mentality one bit though

That’s only the case cos we disregard the big games he (we) win. Saturday was a big game as was Livi midweek. Both won.

jacomo
26-04-2021, 07:44 AM

Why are we talking about pressure?

We should be in the mindset where we are relishing the opportunity. I hope the squad and management team are absolutely buzzing about what they could achieve, not panicking about what’s at stake.

Sergio sledge
26-04-2021, 07:55 AM
Exactly this.

I can't even preempt my own reaction to what happens in the next few weeks, never mind anyone else's.

It's not a bad position to be in though where the worst case scenario is very good season and the best case is best season since sometime in the 1970s.

Jack Ross has been saying this for a while, along the lines of "at the minute it is a good season but we have the chance to make it a great season."

matty_f
26-04-2021, 08:04 AM

We should be in the mindset where we are relishing the opportunity. I hope the squad and management team are absolutely buzzing about what they could achieve, not panicking about what’s at stake.

Because there is pressure. I agree that we need to embrace the position, but i think we’re living in fantasy land if you think that the situation we find ourselves in, as exciting as it is, doesn’t bring pressure with it.

matty_f
26-04-2021, 08:05 AM
That’s only the case cos we disregard the big games he (we) win. Saturday was a big game as was Livi midweek. Both won.

:agree: he’s won a fair few big games this season.

Caversham Green
26-04-2021, 08:42 AM

:agree: There's a general attitude that Rangers being knocked out is a bad thing but it's not. Rangers getting knocked out of a competition that we're still in can never be a bad thing, particularly when all the remaining clubs are eminently beatable. If we don't win the cup we miss the guarantee of group stage European football but that's something we've missed every year since group stages were introduced and we still have the chance to get there through the qualifiers.

Winning the cup could and should be a springboard to much better things in the future, failing to win it would be disappointing, but we'll still be in a better position than we were at the start of the season. These are exciting times for Hibs.

Jones28
26-04-2021, 09:02 AM
I said almost.

It's not even close to being almost meaningless.

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 09:29 AM
It's not even close to being almost meaningless.

I disagree.

Of course it's desirable because it's a better reflection of the season if we finish third, but apart from some extra cash and kudos, it's not worth much to us.

You can't hold third place above your head or get your photograph taken with it.

scoopyboy
26-04-2021, 09:44 AM
I thought after witnessing Hibs winning the cup in 2016 I would be relaxed in subsequent years, I was wrong.

I thought with no crowds at games this season I wouldn't be that bothered about Hibs results, I was wrong.

It's great that come May 1st we have already qualified for Europe, chasing third place and have an outstanding chance of winning the Scottish Cup.

I'm nervous as f*** about it though, wouldn't have it any other way.:greengrin

Bristolhibby
26-04-2021, 09:56 AM
After that result tonight, I now don’t really give a toss about finishing third.

Thankfully, I think we will even if we lose all three remaining league games. But the cup now defines our season.

Thing is to win the Cup we need momentum. I’m convinced we will draw St Johnstone in the Cup.

Beat them on Saturday and 3rd is done. We then play them the week after in the Cup.

I agree, after that, it’s wrap the players in cotton wool time. But don’t underestimate the importance of confidence. Wins breed confidence.

J

Wilson
26-04-2021, 10:04 AM
I disagree.

Of course it's desirable because it's a better reflection of the season if we finish third, but apart from some extra cash and kudos, it's not worth much to us.

You can't hold third place above your head or get your photograph taken with it.

It is the highest place we can realistically achieve in a season. It is a big deal achieving it. It matters to our opponents for it. It'll matter to hearts when they come back up - which is enough reason to get it and keep getting it.

Not getting third from here will be painted as a failure. The team don't deserve that.

The cup matters of course. But putting Aberdeen back in their box matters too.

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 10:09 AM
It is the highest place we can realistically achieve in a season. It is a big deal achieving it. It matters to our opponents for it. It'll matter to hearts when they come back up - which is enough reason to get it and keep getting it.

Not getting third from here will be painted as a failure. The team don't deserve that.

The cup matters of course. But putting Aberdeen back in their box matters too.

Yes, they're good points, but I was desperately hoping for the group stages in Europe and an extended run of exiting and interesting games, not to mention trips abroad and the huge income they generate for the club.

I now feel that third place without that prize will be a bit meh.

matty_f
26-04-2021, 10:19 AM
Yes, they're good points, but I was desperately hoping for the group stages in Europe and an extended run of exiting and interesting games, not to mention trips abroad and the huge income they generate for the club.

The biggest thing, aside from winning the cup - which in itself is a great achievement and measure of success that would surpass European qualification on league placing merit, is the windfall that comes from group stage European football.

That is hugely significant, not just financially but for the profile and ambitions of the club. The financial reward could be what elevates us beyond Aberdeen for years to come. It’s massive for the club to be able to start to realise some of the potential of the Ron Gordon era.

Winning the cup would spring board us into the new season on a massive high that i don’t think finishing third would. Ironically, the fact that we’ll likely have third secured without too much drama (touch wood) probably didn’t help with that - a last day, pip Aberdeen at the post would do much more for the feel good factor than a comfortable finish, which sounds ridiculous (it is ridiculous) but it’s probably true.

Allez Hibs
26-04-2021, 10:40 AM

If we don't win the cup it will be a huge disappointment given the dynamics of the European places and associated economics.