PDA

View Full Version : How do Hibs improve ?

GreenCastle
25-04-2021, 11:43 AM
There has definitely been a difference last few games with some of the attacking play on show and general balance of the team looking better.

Makes a difference having a consistent starting team and structure which the players seem to be understanding and buying into.

But how do we move forward and improve on this? We have still shown signs of inexperience and not being ruthless enough. I also think we need to keep the ball better when up against it. Newell can keep the ball for example but think a real creative player who can dictate the tempo and bring others into play.

Yesterday it was evident our bench needs more depth and variety. If we are in Europe we will need more quality plus depth to play Thursday and weekends. Teams have had issues playing Europe then league form suffering before - we have to be wary of that.

It all depends if anyone leaves but we hopefully won’t loose many but 2 or 3 new players and it will really make a massive difference to maintain where we are next season. The starting 11 while it’s done well needs strengthened and that will be a challenge.

Few possibilities..

Leigh Griffiths - left / striker option

More energy in midfield - Has to be someone different to current midfielders.

Another captain / leader type / fans favourite type - hard to find but good scouting it’s possible

We will need to find another GK as Number 1 / work alongside Macey

Lago
25-04-2021, 11:46 AM
One thing they need to do quickly is realise that football is a 90min game unlike rugby which is a 80min game.

Since452
25-04-2021, 11:48 AM
The experience will come with getting through ties like yesterday. I just hope there isn't too much of a rebuilding job in the summer and we keep hold of the likes of Irvine and Porteous.

JohnMcM
25-04-2021, 11:48 AM
A good start would be to stop giving away two goal leads and putting us through the wringer :greengrin

oneone73
25-04-2021, 11:50 AM
The return of Allan, Murphy and Cadden will help

Unseen work
25-04-2021, 11:53 AM
I never watch us and think we need more energy in midfield. Boyle, Gogic, Newell, Irvine and Doig all have plenty energy Imo.

Some of the runs Irvine makes beyond the striker or into the wider positions are brilliant Imo.

For me it’s a player to do something out of nothing outwith Boyle. Whether it’s skill, beating a man or scoring a screamer. Potentially that’s Allan.

danhibees1875
25-04-2021, 11:55 AM

Add in a fit Magennis hopefully living up to his billing/potential and that's a great set of "additions".

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-04-2021, 11:58 AM
Irvine extension. Have Allan, Cadden, Murphy and Magennis fully fit for next season

If we can, I'd like us to sign Gallagher and Campbell from motherwell and griff from celtic

Dr What If?
25-04-2021, 12:00 PM
I think the main thing is already happening and has been developing all season, learning to play more as a team. Its about knowing each other and understanding what Ross is wanting from them. Other than that I think concentration is a big thing we could work on.....don't know how you coach that but we do on occasion seem to slip on the mental side of the game.
Other than that we do have a talented lot in this squad, Ross's big challenge is keeping them past the summer. Gutted we are loosing Rocky and I can see Nisbet going (feels sometimes like a bit of him has already gone). Any more than that and we go from needing a couple of replacements to needing a rebuild, at that point we are back to square one about learning to play as a team.

GreenCastle
25-04-2021, 12:00 PM

All 3 would definitely improve us when fully fit but Cadden is possibly the most reliable here and he needs to start scoring / assisting.

Would love Allan to come back and be involved again.

Irvine / Newell tire in games and we need more in the middle to compete and give us something else. Think McGinn / Claros even Omeonga at times put pressure on opposition.

The key is retain and not make it a rebuild but history shows that’s quite common at our level.

Aberdeen benefited from same manager and players just topping up and I can see us doing the same hopefully.

GreenCastle
25-04-2021, 12:01 PM
Irvine extension. Have Allan, Cadden, Murphy and Magennis fully fit for next season

If we can, I'd like us to sign Gallagher and Campbell from motherwell and griff from celtic

On paper the 4 mentioned when fully fit definitely but it’s a risk and dilemma we need to solve as only Cadden has got pass marks I would say so far for his consistency but again that could be debated more.

The Count
25-04-2021, 12:03 PM
We have to keep moving forward and if we can improve a position and a player is available that does that within our wage level then we bring him in.We need a bigger squad next season and no player should be bullet prove irespective of their past endevours.Part of the squad yes but not a nailed on starter.Its what big teams do they evolve season to season improving the team overall and have compitition for every position.

scoopyboy
25-04-2021, 12:06 PM
We need better quality in the squad.

I looked at the bench yesterday and I didn't see a lot of attacking options.

Plenty to come on and hold a lead but not many game changers if we were a goal behind

Brightside
25-04-2021, 12:06 PM
There has definitely been a difference last few games with some of the attacking play on show and general balance of the team looking better.

Makes a difference having a consistent starting team and structure which the players seem to be understanding and buying into.

But how do we move forward and improve on this? We have still shown signs of inexperience and not being ruthless enough. I also think we need to keep the ball better when up against it. Newell can keep the ball for example but think a real creative player who can dictate the tempo and bring others into play.

Yesterday it was evident our bench needs more depth and variety. If we are in Europe we will need more quality plus depth to play Thursday and weekends. Teams have had issues playing Europe then league form suffering before - we have to be wary of that.

It all depends if anyone leaves but we hopefully won’t loose many but 2 or 3 new players and it will really make a massive difference to maintain where we are next season. The starting 11 while it’s done well needs strengthened and that will be a challenge.

Few possibilities..

Leigh Griffiths - left / striker option

More energy in midfield - Has to be someone different to current midfielders.

Another captain / leader type / fans favourite type - hard to find but good scouting it’s possible

We will need to find another GK as Number 1 / work alongside Macey
This leader stuff is utter tripe. Was there a lack of leader on the pitch yesterday. It’s piss poor from some of our fans.

neil7908
25-04-2021, 12:09 PM
This leader stuff is utter tripe. Was there a lack of leader on the pitch yesterday. It’s piss poor from some of our fans.

I think that's a very strong reaction to quite a reasonable post.

I also think we could do with more leadership - I think we are quite reliant on a couple of players in that respect but we're winning games so it's not a massive issue.

We need to keep in mind though that we are playing in Europe next year and these kind of qualities are going to be needed more than ever.

GreenCastle
25-04-2021, 12:10 PM
I think the main thing is already happening and has been developing all season, learning to play more as a team. Its about knowing each other and understanding what Ross is wanting from them. Other than that I think concentration is a big thing we could work on.....don't know how you coach that but we do on occasion seem to slip on the mental side of the game.
Other than that we do have a talented lot in this squad, Ross's big challenge is keeping them past the summer. Gutted we are loosing Rocky and I can see Nisbet going (feels sometimes like a bit of him has already gone). Any more than that and we go from needing a couple of replacements to needing a rebuild, at that point we are back to square one about learning to play as a team.

Going to weird to think there is a chance we haven’t seen Nisbet or Irvine play at the stadium...plus would be nice if there was a way the fans could say thanks to Rocky for his time at the club.

hibbysam
25-04-2021, 12:11 PM
Biggest is mentality, we were outstanding for a good chunk last night, but we are still very brittle when losing a goal. We panic, instead of getting our foot on the ball and playing % football. Boyle should’ve had the ball in the corner, as it turned out he tried a pass to Newell, lost it, got booked which may keep him out the semi, lost us a goal, lost us a man, and meant we had to go through an extra 30 minutes which we could’ve done without.

Very much excited from the last two performances though, Ross putting his stamp on this squad and showing us the direction he wants us to go in. We will definitely need to recruit well, need depth and for some of the injured players this year to come back and make a big impact. We do need a squad to allow us to rotate more, very reliant on the same players game after game.

Brightside
25-04-2021, 12:14 PM
I think that's a very strong reaction to quite a reasonable post.

I also think we could do with more leadership - I think we are quite reliant on a couple of players in that respect but we're winning games so it's not a massive issue.

We need to keep in mind though that we are playing in Europe next year and these kind of qualities are going to be needed more than ever.

Where are we struggling for leaders. Which area of the pitch. I don’t see it. It’s utter poppycock in my humble opinion.

Northernhibee
25-04-2021, 12:16 PM
Simple - keep hold of Jack Ross and the core of our team. We have a balanced, talented squad and a head coach with a plan for us and a brain in his head and we get better through letting him develop our players.

GreenCastle
25-04-2021, 12:16 PM

Name the leaders in the squad ?

Gray
McGregor
Porto
Hanlon
Gogic
Doidge ?

I wouldn’t say we have none but we could do we more - 2 main leaders don’t play in starting 11.

Northernhibee
25-04-2021, 12:17 PM

Gray
McGregor
Porto
Hanlon
Gogic
Doidge ?

I wouldn’t say we have none but we could do we more - 2 main leaders don’t play in starting 11.

Boyle, McGinn, Stevenson too

matty_f
25-04-2021, 12:19 PM
Biggest is mentality, we were outstanding for a good chunk last night, but we are still very brittle when losing a goal. We panic, instead of getting our foot on the ball and playing % football. Boyle should’ve had the ball in the corner, as it turned out he tried a pass to Newell, lost it, got booked which may keep him out the semi, lost us a goal, lost us a man, and meant we had to go through an extra 30 minutes which we could’ve done without.

Very much excited from the last two performances though, Ross putting his stamp on this squad and showing us the direction he wants us to go in. We will definitely need to recruit well, need depth and for some of the injured players this year to come back and make a big impact. We do need a squad to allow us to rotate more, very reliant on the same players game after game.
I don’t think we’re panicked yesterday, I think Motherwell chucked everything at us. The players looked very tired towards the end of the 90 minutes, i think Ross should have played subs earlier, but you only have to look at how we saw out the game against Livi on Wednesday night to see that we can be composed in those circumstances.

hibbydad
25-04-2021, 12:20 PM

Gray
McGregor
Porto
Hanlon
Gogic
Doidge ?

The defence needs worked on give away too many bad goals

Brightside
25-04-2021, 12:20 PM

Gray
McGregor
Porto
Hanlon
Gogic
Doidge ?

Irvine Boyle. Back to front we are full of leaders. We’ve heard this constantly since Gray and Daz dropped down the pecking order. Give me an Irvine over a Liam Craig all day long.

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2021, 12:22 PM

Gray
McGregor
Porto
Hanlon
Gogic
Doidge ?

If Hibs won the cup this year, and finished 3rd, its our best season since league wins in the 50s I'd say. Would you admit then that Paul Hanlon is clearly capable of leading this team?

GreenCastle
Boyle, McGinn, Stevenson too

I think these guys have great character but I wouldn’t say they are natural leaders as such.

Lewis is shy as they come ! Not like that is a bad thing but he leads by example with his professional attitude.

McGinn again seems a good pro and Boyle has led by driving on on in games.

It’s hard to measure but I feel we are still too nice and if we want to win derbies for example next season we need more bite alongside the quality.

Brightside

Eh? Best defence outside the old firm.

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2021, 12:23 PM

Defence is very good, stats show that. We really don't give away too many bad goals. 13 league clean sheets is excellent.

hibbysam
25-04-2021, 12:24 PM
I don’t think we’re panicked yesterday, I think Motherwell chucked everything at us. The players looked very tired towards the end of the 90 minutes, i think Ross should have played subs earlier, but you only have to look at how we saw out the game against Livi on Wednesday night to see that we can be composed in those circumstances.

We ended up all over the place not knowing how to deal with them. Boyle not taking it to the corner and then our shape up in the air after this. We failed to keep the ball, play for corners etc and run the clock down. I agree with subs as well, it was clear our front three weren’t quite having the same impact and had run themselves into the ground.

GreenCastle
25-04-2021, 12:27 PM
If Hibs won the cup this year, and finished 3rd, its our best season since league wins in the 50s I'd say. Would you admit then that Paul Hanlon is clearly capable of leading this team?

Of course - but where would you rank him as Hibs captains ?

Brightside
25-04-2021, 12:27 PM

Top 5

hibbydad
25-04-2021, 12:28 PM
If we had not lost the bad goals we have we would be comfortably in 2nd place

Brightside
25-04-2021, 12:29 PM

Stop it.

CMurdoch
25-04-2021, 12:30 PM
The team and manager as ever learn when things go wrong.
I would like us to remain calm in situations like yesterday. Retain possession rather than booting the ball upfield when under pressure in the last 15 minutes of games.
I thought Ross should have substituted Hallberg for Newell and Wright for Boyle right after the 2nd Hibs goal.
Wright to support McGinn and Hallberg to provide fresh running power and legs in midfield.

A good pre season will add up to speed Magennis, Allan, Murphy, Cadden and Mackie to the squad.
Mallan, Murray And Gullan will be back from loan.

The obvious improvement comes from signing better players but the foundations are now in place.
As ever that will occur against a background of regularly losing our best players.

GreenCastle
25-04-2021, 12:30 PM
Top 5

Interesting - not disagreeing - who else would be in the top 5 ?

BSEJVT
25-04-2021, 12:31 PM
Although it is a deliberate and often stated ploy I would like to see more depth in the squad.

I know that we cant legislate for Murphy, Magennis & Allan's long term injury problems this year, but it could be argued that we have been extraordinarily fortunate that Porteous, Hanlon & McGinn & Nisbet, Dodge & Boyle have hardly missed a game through injury.

Whilst McGregor could and did cover for the defenders his race is nearly run.

I would like good quality cover for the back 3 and the front 3 and if I was being really greedy a decent left winger.

We could lose a couple of the peripheral midfielders at a push but not much else.

hibbydad
25-04-2021, 12:32 PM
We have had a good season but there are defensive frailties. A good example is Celtic's eaqualiser at ER with minutes to go

Northernhibee
25-04-2021, 12:34 PM

If we hadn’t dropped any points than we’d have won the league. What’s your point, caller?

The Modfather
25-04-2021, 12:35 PM

What’s the definition of a leader? Our positives clearly outweigh the negatives given our league position and reaching two semi finals.

However, whether it’s individually, collectively, the manager or an element of all. I do think there’s a weakness when things aren’t going our way. Evidenced by the fact I think we’ve only won once when going behind and the total shockers of a performance we can throw in without any apparent ability to reverse the flow in those games.

CJHibby
25-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Always areas and things to improve but the team need commended for passing the week's test with full marks..3 games in 6 days with extra time added in..ggtth :flag:

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2021, 12:37 PM

Why is that relevant? I don't know if you can fully compare because different captains worked under different managers and captained different squads. As a servant to this club he is up there with anyone.

In some of the more traditional ways, he isn't a captain like Gray who charges into tackles etc but as a player he is better (IMO) and more consistent.

Comparable level of quality to Jones and Ian Murray and achieved similar things.
Sauzee obviously an excellent player but a brilliant captain? Not sure. Did he help turn things around when we were struggling in the 2nd half of that season?

Much better captain than the likes of McPake, Liam Miller, Liam Craig, Chris Hogg.

If he achieves 3rd and a cup win he'll have captained the most successful Hibs season in decades.

Brightside
25-04-2021, 12:37 PM
Interesting - not disagreeing - who else would be in the top 5 ?

Paul Hanlon 1 to 5. 😂

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2021, 12:38 PM

:faf:

Behave. By your logic we'd have conceded about 10 goals.

Fergus52
25-04-2021, 12:39 PM
We have had a good season but there are defensive frailties. A good example is Celtic's eaqualiser at ER with minutes to go

Hanlon messed up a clearance by badly mis-hitting it. That sort of mistake happens to the best of players occasionally, and is a rare occurrence for him.

Was nothing to do with the ability of our defenders, or the defensive structure of the team, both of which have been excellent all season.

Wilson
25-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Paul Hanlon 1 to 5. 😂

I'd have Rob Jones and Sauzee in there somewhere.

Hanlon
Sauzee
Hanlon
Jones
Hanlon

Wilson
25-04-2021, 12:43 PM
I'd have Rob Jones and Sauzee in there somewhere.

Hanlon
Sauzee
Hanlon
Jones
Hanlon

And Gray!

CmoantheHibs
25-04-2021, 12:44 PM
I think we need to change the mindset of our players. We are a good passing team who are comfortable on the ball generally but later in games when we need better game management to preserve a lead we forget all these good qualities. Other teams throw extra men forward which should be perfect for us to counter them but instead we lump it away/lack composure. If we played our normal style then we would likely create a good few chances. We could still sit in a bit deeper to help nullify the extra pressure but when we get the ball use it well and break at speed as opposed to just lumping it. We have the players for it and they have been doing it for the 75-80 minutes prior to it. It’s likely due to a fear of making an error that costs us but I think if we were braver and more composed we would hammer quite a few teams and also see out games easier. It would also reduce the potential heart attacks amongst us supporters :greengrin

Fergus52
25-04-2021, 12:44 PM
What’s the definition of a leader? Our positives clearly outweigh the negatives given our league position and reaching two semi finals.

However, whether it’s individually, collectively, the manager or an element of all. I do think there’s a weakness when things aren’t going our way. Evidenced by the fact I think we’ve only won once when going behind and the total shockers of a performance we can throw in without any apparent ability to reverse the flow in those games.

Agree with this. I think stating there's a lack of leadership in a squad can sometimes be a lazy criticism but it's valid for this current team imo.

We have a bunch of good solid professionals who work hard and lead by example, but I don't see any real motivators or commanders in the current squad. When we go a goal behind or a game isn't going our way, I don't see anyone in the current squad who will vocally gee up the rest of the team the way players like Gray, McGregor, McGinn, Bartley, Jones, Brown etc. would.

CJHibby
25-04-2021, 12:46 PM
I love my team and it pains me to say it but we do NOT have a great defence. If stats suggest otherwise that's an indictment on the rest of the league and less on our players' abilities.

MagicSwirlingShip
25-04-2021, 12:47 PM
More goals from Midfield.

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2021, 12:48 PM
I love my team and it pains me to say it but we do NOT have a great defence. If stats suggest otherwise that's an indictment on the rest of the league and less on our players' abilities.

Can you explain why they aren't good?

GreenCastle
25-04-2021, 12:52 PM
Why is that relevant? I don't know if you can fully compare because different captains worked under different managers and captained different squads. As a servant to this club he is up there with anyone.

In some of the more traditional ways, he isn't a captain like Gray who charges into tackles etc but as a player he is better (IMO) and more consistent.

Comparable level of quality to Jones and Ian Murray and achieved similar things.
Sauzee obviously an excellent player but a brilliant captain? Not sure. Did he help turn things around when we were struggling in the 2nd half of that season?

Much better captain than the likes of McPake, Liam Miller, Liam Craig, Chris Hogg.

If he achieves 3rd and a cup win he'll have captained the most successful Hibs season in decades.

It’s relevant as the poster said he’s top 5 Hibs captains so I assumed the poster may have thought about it and who the other 4 who made up too 5 were ? Pretty straightforward surely :)

I like Hanlon and not disagreeing about his service to the club but I can also think of other leaders who over the years would improve this current team when in prime.

McGregor
Gray
Jones
Sauzee

I’ve just looked up a list and Paul Hanlon definitely will go down as a damp servant and captain when he retires - especially if he wins another trophy !

easty
25-04-2021, 12:53 PM

It’s as if some folk think that players don’t know how to play football, and are unmotivated by default. They need to be told by “a leader”.

Hibs1969
25-04-2021, 12:53 PM
Game management is the current buzz phrase and that’s an area I think we could improve on, we looked very shaky after Motherwell got their first goal and just needed someone to show a bit of composure and take the sting out of things. I thought Hallberg was decent when he came on and think he could do Gogic’s role in the semi.

if it’s any consolation, a couple of years ago we would have lost yesterday’s game. Think back to the end of Lennon’s time and the start of Heckingbottom’s spell and remember how many late goals we conceded to lose games. It was gutting, but after almost blowing it in 90 minutes yesterday we took stock and looked fairly comfortable in extra time.

Brightside
25-04-2021, 12:54 PM

That makes no sense at all.

EVENTUALLY
25-04-2021, 12:58 PM
Keep Nisbet and Porteous
Improve Gogic's passing
Sign Macey on a perm
Sign JET (LIVI) Physically strong with a deft touch for a big guy
Sign Regan Hendry (RRovers) good ball carrier, creative and naturally left sided
Give McGennis an opportunity to play on his preferred right side or at least centrally
Better coaching of game management from a leading position - strong emphasis on possession retention

Shrekko
25-04-2021, 01:11 PM

Same with every other team in the league then? It’s because we’ve lost the 3 least ‘bad goals’ that we are in fact 3rd.

The amount of posts I’ve seen recently claiming we should really have finished 2nd this season - above Celtic, is just incredible.

Tommy75
25-04-2021, 01:13 PM
Where are we struggling for leaders. Which area of the pitch. I don’t see it. It’s utter poppycock in my humble opinion.

Poppycock- great word!

I agree, I don't think we lack leadership. For me, leadership is still showing for the ball when the team is under pressure etc and there was no lack of that yesterday..

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 01:21 PM
Eh? Best defence outside the old firm.

I think that might be Aberdeen

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 01:24 PM

That applies every year, to every team in the league, apart from the winners!

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 01:26 PM

With every other captain who has lifted the Scottish Cup for Hibs.

calumhibee1
25-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Looking at next season where we’re hopefully going to be in group stage European competition there’s no doubting we could do with being better equipped for it imo.

I don’t think anyone will be surprised that Griffiths would be right up there for me. Deadly at set pieces and has an ability to get a goal out of nothing that I don’t think any other player that we would potentially have the ability to sign will have.

I reckon we need more pace. A very quick left winger who would be threatening to start every week would really push us on imo.

Centre midfield I think we could do with someone a bit more mobile. I wouldn’t say any of our midfielders are currently blessed with a great ability to get around the pitch.

Defensively I actually wouldn’t be fussed if we didn’t do much other than add numbers possibly. Obviously if we can get better than what we have then we should be doing it but I don’t think it’s a matter of urgency.

Over the piece I would say the biggest issue with our squad is that whilst being competent athletically I wouldn’t say were hugely blessed with many extremely athletic players. A couple of them could push us on to the next level both domestically and in Europe.

Northernhibee
25-04-2021, 01:42 PM

As part of one of the most iconic backlines in Hibernian history.

jacomo
25-04-2021, 02:49 PM
Simple - keep hold of Jack Ross and the core of our team. We have a balanced, talented squad and a head coach with a plan for us and a brain in his head and we get better through letting him develop our players.

:agree:

We are showing good progress under Jack. Another 5% or so composure in midfield and we’d be flying... continue as we have been doing and who knows what we might achieve.

I want to keep this squad together with just a few additions, although of course offers for our players in the summer might force our hand.

Nicho87
25-04-2021, 03:02 PM
Left winger
Centre midfielder
Centre half

If we have a clause to not sign Murphy I’d get out of that deal.

calumhibee1
25-04-2021, 03:06 PM
Left winger
Centre midfielder
Centre half

I really like Murphy when he gets on the pitc but I’d agree.

J-C
25-04-2021, 03:44 PM
We are working with a smaller squad and hopefully with fans maybe getting back soon, we need to have a bigger stronger squad especially as we'll be in Europe too.

I'd like Irvine to extend but wouldn't break the bank to keep him, we need better balance in the team, so a left winger/forward or both is needed(Griffiths and AN Other). I'd expect 1 or maybe 2 of the better youngsters to leave, possibly Nisbet and Porteous(even Doig), if that happens we need maybe 2 CH's and another LB. I'd also like to see a younger RB coming in to push McGinn for a spot, Gray has been on the bench all season and looks unlikely to even get a game and although McGinn was good yesterday, he hasn't been that great for the past month or so and he's also hitting that 30+ barrier.

We still lack creativity in the middle, Allan will be back but it's still unclear what level he'll be able to get back to, Mallan seems to be one who may leave this summer, there's still huge question marks over Murray's ability to step up.

At the moment I feel 3-4 players are needed to strengthen and push the other players but we could be looking at 5-7 depending who leaves and who stays.

J-C
25-04-2021, 03:49 PM
Left winger
Centre midfielder
Centre half

Been a disappointment, only played 17 out of a possible 35 league games, 1 in the cup and 4 in the league cup, with just 1 goal in the league and 1 in the league cup. He's been unavailable more than available and he'll be on a very decent wage coming from Rangers, unfortunately I don't think we can get out of signing him now.

Frazerbob
25-04-2021, 03:55 PM
A good start would be to stop giving away two goal leads and putting us through the wringer :greengrin

I’ve seen loads of comments like this, ‘typical Hibs’ and ‘we need to stop throwing away 2 goal leads’ on the various Facebook pages and now here. I can only think of one other time we’ve drawn after being 2 up, 2-2 versus Celtc.

Iain G
25-04-2021, 03:56 PM
Left winger
Centre midfielder
Centre half

And a centre forward, we need 3 senior ones at the club if we are going to manage the league, 2 cups and a decent run in Europe.

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2021, 04:01 PM
Been a disappointment, only played 17 out of a possible 35 league games, 1 in the cup and 4 in the league cup, with just 1 goal in the league and 1 in the league cup. He's been unavailable more than available and he'll be on a very decent wage coming from Rangers, unfortunately I don't think we can get out of signing him now.

Hes actually only been available for 31 league games, as he cant play vs Rangers. So he's played more than half in the league, and more than half overall.

Now, I'll admit that is still poor, but you have to take care of guys coming off long term injury. Its the most games he's played in a few years, and with a full pre season, in which he plays friendlies and is part of our plans, I think you'll see many less injury issues.

We could never get out of signing him. Its agree'd in the summer he joins is permanently.

Greencore
25-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Wads of cash 😎

hhibs
25-04-2021, 04:41 PM

Yep ,I know it seems harsh,but JR should have had used our subs earlier and this has been an issue before.IMO

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 05:01 PM
Yep ,I know it seems harsh,but JR should have had used our subs earlier and this has been an issue before.IMO

When though?

Not before we went 2 up and they got their flukey goal 2 minutes later.

Dr What If?
25-04-2021, 05:12 PM
Wads of cash 😎
Tongue in cheek I know but pretty accurate too....want better players across the park we need to be paying the going rate. Gordon has spoken about increasing the clubs revenue, doubling it in fact. While I know that you can't increase revenues without added costs, if a chunk of those extra £££s can be used to recruit a higher quality of player we will get better. Maybe even invest more heavily in youth and get a higher volume of kids getting into the first team.

Torto7
25-04-2021, 05:58 PM
If we finish third and either win or go close to winning the cup then belief will soar. Season tickets are holding up as well so far. There's plenty of enticing out of contract SPL players this year. Players who are in form. Ross is on record as saying he wants strikers and a left sided attacker. So on the left Durmas and Pinnock are out of contract. Durmus is technical and creative something different to what we have. Pinnock is a hell of an athlete and can cover the LWB role as well. A bit like a left sided Cadden.

Presuming Nisbet and Doig go and Irvine stays. I'd assume Griffiths will be the target to replace Nisbet. I do wonder if we're looking at this chap though. Elías Már Ómarsson. He's banging them in and has a similar profile to Nisbet/Doidge albeit older at 26 and playing in Holland. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhT0xq_jcTQ&t=229s

Kiltie and Devante Cole are decent. There's even potential projects like Hastie and Seedorf who have qualities but haven't put things together yet. I suspect Jack Ross's hint at finishing third and it allowing for a higher standard of player would rule out most of these guys bar Leigh though. Maybe we'll look abroad. A lot of clubs are struggling just now and if we are prepared to spend then now's the time to strike.

Tambo
25-04-2021, 06:15 PM
Bit strange that we have played some really good stuff the past two HOME games and got the results we need after the pitch gets worked on lol

But would love a left footed left winger for a start.

GreenCastle
25-04-2021, 06:17 PM
Bit strange that we have played some really good stuff the past two HOME games and got the results we need after the pitch gets worked on lol

But would love a left footed left winger for a start.

A good pitch and fans buying season tickets to increase funds are definitely simple but effective ways to help.

SJNB Hibby
25-04-2021, 06:29 PM
I think what we need overall to improve, is regular extended participation in Europe
Reaching the group stages means football twice a week, and a bunch of guys on international callup for euro and wc qualifiers
That means a lot more income, to give us a bigger and stronger squad, and then you can spread the workload around
A good run on Europe and regular runs to Cup semi finals would mean 50 to 55 games on a season, and you need cover for the unfortunate suspensions to Gogic and boyle

B.H.F.C
25-04-2021, 06:35 PM
Sounds really obvious but I think we need to score more goals. I don’t think we’ve scored enough for the number of chances we generally create. I know we’re third top scorers in the league but 47 in 35 games can be improved upon for me. Irvine got a bit of luck last night but that’s the kind of thing we need from midfielders more often.

We need more options attacking wise. Dread to think how we’d be without Boyle if he was to be missing for any length of time.

GreenCastle
25-04-2021, 06:44 PM
I think what we need overall to improve, is regular extended participation in Europe
Reaching the group stages means football twice a week, and a bunch of guys on international callup for euro and wc qualifiers
That means a lot more income, to give us a bigger and stronger squad, and then you can spread the workload around
A good run on Europe and regular runs to Cup semi finals would mean 50 to 55 games on a season, and you need cover for the unfortunate suspensions to Gogic and boyle

There is something about being competitive in Europe without spending money we don’t have.

Going into group stages or other Euro games and losing heavily wouldn’t be good at all but considering we are still a work in progress - what is acceptable?

SJNB Hibby
25-04-2021, 06:47 PM
There is something about being competitive in Europe without spending money we don’t have.

Going into group stages or other Euro games and losing heavily wouldn’t be good at all but considering we are still a work in progress - what is acceptable?

2 or 3 Scottish teams are going to be involved in European group stages competition next season(and at least 2 after)
We need to be one of those. If we can get that guaranteed income we can attract, and hang on to, better players

Iain G
25-04-2021, 07:12 PM
Tongue in cheek I know but pretty accurate too....want better players across the park we need to be paying the going rate. Gordon has spoken about increasing the clubs revenue, doubling it in fact. While I know that you can't increase revenues without added costs, if a chunk of those extra £££s can be used to recruit a higher quality of player we will get better. Maybe even invest more heavily in youth and get a higher volume of kids getting into the first team.

We need to raise the level of the squad in general and make sure nobody is sure of their place and someone is always pushing them on. We need to clear those not in Jacks plans.

GreenCastle
25-04-2021, 07:21 PM
We need to raise the level of the squad in general and make sure nobody is sure of their place and someone is always pushing them on. We need to clear those not in Jacks plans.

Rough stay or go %

Mallan - 30/70 (stay % / leave %)
Allan - 50/50
Murphy 80/20
Magennis - 100% will stay
Marciano - 100% leaving
Gray (club coaching?)
McGregor (club coaching?)
Gullan - 30/70
Wright - 30/70
Hallberg - 50/50

Then Nisbet / Porto / Irvine will they stay..

Jones28
25-04-2021, 07:30 PM

No, the stats are the stats. You can only defend against the teams you play.

Are we only third because the rest of the league is so pish then? Because you can’t have one rule for the defence and one for the rest.

jacomo
25-04-2021, 09:14 PM
No, the stats are the stats. You can only defend against the teams you play.

Are we only third because the rest of the league is so pish then? Because you can’t have one rule for the defence and one for the rest.

Yes. And - notable hiccups aside - it is clear that our defence has improved and done well this season.

Allez Hibs
25-04-2021, 09:55 PM
By winning the Scottish Cup.

Not In The Know
26-04-2021, 07:08 AM

Gray
McGregor
Porto
Hanlon
Gogic
Doidge ?

by leader I think we all mean a player who’s not going to let the team concede soft as **** goals when dominating games.(st Johnstone semi, livi last week and well on sat )

MWHIBBIES
26-04-2021, 07:14 AM
by leader I think we all mean a player who’s not going to let the team concede soft as **** goals when dominating games.(st Johnstone semi, livi last week and well on sat )

Doesn't exist so that will be tough.

Crunchie
26-04-2021, 07:14 AM
Been happening too many times in the past few years imo. Worst one was the 2-2 draw with Falkirk at ER with 5 mins to go, they were down to 10 men and instead of going for the jugular we sat back and let them punt high balls into the box.
I'm sure the stattos out there could find a few more examples over the past 10 years.

Since90+2
26-04-2021, 07:15 AM
We need a left sided winger / midfielder to give a bit of balance to the side.

I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I'd have kept Horgan.

Peevemor
26-04-2021, 07:18 AM
Been happening too many times in the past few years imo. Worst one was the 2-2 draw with Falkirk at ER with 5 mins to go, they were down to 10 men and instead of going for the jugular we sat back and let them punt high balls into the box.
I'm sure the stattos out there could find a few more examples over the past 10 years.

I understand what you're saying, but if that happens it's not by choice.

If a team chasing a goal leave a couple of extra men up and start lumping high balls forward, yes they leave themselves open at the back we we also have to shore up our defence.

Is that anyone's fault - players' or manager's?

GreenCastle
26-04-2021, 07:27 AM

We basically need a few players who won’t be bullied in derbies / can’t also adapt to playing at Tynecastle and that 5 a side pitch they play on!!

MWHIBBIES
26-04-2021, 07:30 AM
I understand what you're saying, but if that happens it's not by choice.

If a team chasing a goal leave a couple of extra men up and start lumping high balls forward, yes they leave themselves open at the back we we also have to shore up our defence.

Is that anyone's fault - players' or manager's?

Folk think there is only 1 team playing, thats the problem. A team are 2-0 down, do they just let you win or do they go for the big play to get back into it?

Hibs don't let the opposition do anything, but sometimes the opposition will outplay us.

DIXIHIBS
26-04-2021, 07:39 AM
Folk think there is only 1 team playing, thats the problem. A team are 2-0 down, do they just let you win or do they go for the big play to get back into it?

Hibs don't let the opposition do anything, but sometimes the opposition will outplay us.
I agree there are 2 teams on the park but there is definitely an issue late in games. When motherwell scored with 10 mins to go, how many on here were confident we could see the game out? We seem to freeze/panic a bit too often. Dont know if it is lack of leadership but other teams must be aware of this and know hibs are vulnerable.

marinello59
26-04-2021, 07:48 AM
I agree there are 2 teams on the park but there is definitely an issue late in games. When motherwell scored with 10 mins to go, how many on here were confident we could see the game out? We seem to freeze/panic a bit too often. Dont know if it is lack of leadership but other teams must be aware of this and know hibs are vulnerable.

That’s not a Hibs specific issue, every team is prone to that. Games ebb and flow. Get a goal back when you are 2-0 down and suddenly the whole team are able to run harder and faster. It completely changes the tempo of the game and it’s hard for any team, no matter how good, to adjust quickly to that. This Hibs team does generally get the job done, that’s why we are sitting so high in the league. I have no worries about lack of leadership etc.

hhibs
26-04-2021, 11:30 AM
When though?

Not before we went 2 up and they got their flukey goal 2 minutes later.

At the point we went 2-0 up with less than 10mins to go ,as our players were pretty clearly tiring for all to see. IMO

hhibs
26-04-2021, 11:34 AM

I feel that to.

Less so when McGregor is playing as he does seem to raise the others about him at the crunch end game.

Hibbyradge
26-04-2021, 11:40 AM
At the point we went 2-0 up with less than 10mins to go ,as our players were pretty clearly tiring for all to see. IMO

I understand why you're saying that, and I agree up to a point, but bringing subs on, while intended to have a positive effect, can also be risky because they're not up to speed etc. Magennis v Livi is an example of how it immediately backfired.

Out of interest, when we're the subs made?

RIP
26-04-2021, 12:54 PM
Stop crosses
Tackle more
Track runners
Mix the tactics I.e. play narrow as well as wide
Learn how to keep the ball in corner after 85 minutes
Stop giving the ball straight back to the opposition and inviting another attack
Mark men when the opposition have the ball
Put more pressure on the ball carrier

JohnMcM
26-04-2021, 01:23 PM
I’ve seen loads of comments like this, ‘typical Hibs’ and ‘we need to stop throwing away 2 goal leads’ on the various Facebook pages and now here. I can only think of one other time we’ve drawn after being 2 up, 2-2 versus Celtc.

My post was simply a tongue in cheek reference to the Motherwell game. Nothing more than that:wink:

J-C
26-04-2021, 04:23 PM
I understand why you're saying that, and I agree up to a point, but bringing subs on, while intended to have a positive effect, can also be risky because they're not up to speed etc. Magennis v Livi is an example of how it immediately backfired.

Out of interest, when we're the subs made?

2 at 102mins and the other at 105mins, it was clear a couple were blowing out their erses at around 80 mins as we've just had 3 games in 6 days, Motherwell brought on Watt at 68mins and Lawless at 78mins. They started getting on top at around that same time and we started sitting far too deep, that was when the 2 subs should've been made but he never reacted till it was too late, thankfully he made the changes and got the penalties but it shouldn't have came to that.