PDA

View Full Version : Macey or Marciano for next round

Pickle
24-04-2021, 08:54 PM
Whilst maybe slightly harsh I think Macey could have done better for the first goal. I think Marciano is the better of the 2 and has a better understanding with his defenders. Do you think the manager will stick with Macey for the semi or revert to Marciano?

bingo70
24-04-2021, 08:55 PM
Has to be Marciano, absolutely no brainer in my opinion

Andy74
24-04-2021, 08:55 PM
It is a big game and I’d be expecting us to play our best players. Marciano is currently our best goalkeeper.

Pretty Boy
24-04-2021, 08:56 PM
We play the strongest and most suitable team available from here on in. For the moment that means Marciano starts in goals.

Pickle
24-04-2021, 08:57 PM
Today was a massive game so just thinking he may stick to his guns and go with Macey

H18 SFR
24-04-2021, 08:58 PM
Rocky

Robbo6-2
24-04-2021, 09:00 PM
100% Marciano.

Hes simply not as good as him and your only cutting off your nose to spite your face

Danderhall Hibs
24-04-2021, 09:01 PM
I’m not sure Marciano is better so not an easy decision.

Big_Franck
In a semi final we need to go full strength and without doubt that means Marciano in goals.

Ozyhibby
Strongest team. Shouldn’t be up for debate. And for me, that means Marciano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaz1875
Macey for me. As Strachan said his size at penalties can put players off. No chance with both goals and a couple of good saves.

Big_Franck
24-04-2021, 09:03 PM
macey for me. As strachan said his size at penalties can put players off. No chance with both goals and a couple of good saves.

ltyf

Vault Boy
24-04-2021, 09:04 PM
Ofir.

gaz1875
24-04-2021, 09:07 PM
ltyf

What the ****s that mean?

truehibernian
Macey for me - Rocky hasn't exactly got a great record at Hampden. Macey is a good keeper, stepped in and done well, he's the one with the jersey for the cup. Matt to be the Covid season Conran :aok:

Magpie
I think Marciano is the better keeper but I’ll be surprised if Macey isn’t in the lineup. Either way, I trust both of them.

bingo70
24-04-2021, 09:11 PM
Macey for me. As Strachan said his size at penalties can put players off. No chance with both goals and a couple of good saves.

Disagree with the general point but I agree with Strachan about the penalties.

I don’t rate Macey but I can quite believe he was an intimidating sight for them stepping up to take the penalties.

Northernhibee
24-04-2021, 09:11 PM
Macey, don’t think he could have done much more with either goal and has good distribution. Wouldn’t complain with either though.

Zazu62
24-04-2021, 09:12 PM
Macey might just bring us luck

IberianHibernian
24-04-2021, 09:14 PM
Difficult decision for manager but in modern game in Europe at least managers seem to give 2nd goalies chance in cup games including semis and finals . Presumably Rocky will play against St Johnstone . If we clinch 3rd then I would play Dabrowski in last 2 league games whatever happens in cup . I remember Nick Colgan being given a chance in a League Cup game v Clyde and he went on to be a good goalie for us , making his international debut while with us I think .

gaz1875
24-04-2021, 09:15 PM

I don’t rate Macey but I can quite believe he was an intimidating sight for them stepping up to take the penalties.

You don't rate him based on what? and you don't think his size is off putting at a penalty? Opinions I guess.

Danderhall Hibs
24-04-2021, 09:19 PM

What about the save when everyone thought the boy had scored?

Maybe bring Macy on for penalties then cos Marciano never gets near saving a pen.

ancient hibee
24-04-2021, 09:20 PM
Obviously depends on what the manager has promised him. His size was a factor in the penalties. Was right down for the one that hit the post and got a hand to the one that went in at the other post.Had no chance with the goals. The first one wasn't intended to go there.

bingo70
24-04-2021, 09:27 PM
You don't rate him based on what? and you don't think his size is off putting at a penalty? Opinions I guess.

No, I think his size was a big factor in their penalties.

bingo70
24-04-2021, 09:33 PM
What about the save when everyone thought the boy had scored?

Maybe bring Macy on for penalties then cos Marciano never gets near saving a pen.

I think he a big stiff plank o’ wood. Even big stiffies like him can save ones like the shot you’re talking about.

Someone else asked what it is he’s done that makes me bit rate him and i get why I’m being questioned on it, I just don’t like him.

I was a goalie at a very ***** standard myself, that really doesn’t give me any right to judge him and I totally get that. I do however take a lot of interest in that positions. I think he looks like he is stiff, lacks mobility and I think his technique looks wrong at times. You can’t record those criticisms on a spreadsheet though do apparently it doesn’t count.

FWIW I completely agree about the penalties, if I could bring Macey on for Marciano I would.

Speedy
24-04-2021, 09:34 PM
We should play our best keeper, whoever JR thinks that is.

For what it is worth I think Rocky is better in general but he doesn't give me much confidence in a shootout. Lift the ball and he never comes close.

Danderhall Hibs
24-04-2021, 09:38 PM
I think he a big stiff plank o’ wood. Even big stiffies like him can save ones like the shot you’re talking about.

Someone else asked what it is he’s done that makes me bit rate him and i get why I’m being questioned on it, I just don’t like him.

I was a goalie at a very ***** standard myself, that really doesn’t give me any right to judge him and I totally get that. I do however take a lot of interest in that positions. I think he looks like he is stiff, lacks mobility and I think his technique looks wrong at times. You can’t record those criticisms on a spreadsheet though do apparently it doesn’t count.

FWIW I completely agree about the penalties, if I could bring Macey on for Marciano I would.

Fair enough. I’ve not noticed that - I’ve seen him make a few decent saves though. Not sure why so many think Marciano is rated so much higher by so many.

24-04-2021, 09:39 PM
Obviously depends on what the manager has promised him. His size was a factor in the penalties. Was right down for the one that hit the post and got a hand to the one that went in at the other post.Had no chance with the goals. The first one wasn't intended to go there.

Jack Ross has said Macey would be in goal today and any subsequent cup games according to the article below. If it is true then it will be difficult for him to change his mind, unless he's okay with p**sing off Macey.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/jack-ross-reveals-hibs-scottish-20414603

hibsbollah
24-04-2021, 09:41 PM
Macey

Brightside
24-04-2021, 09:44 PM
Macey

Hibee Mac
24-04-2021, 09:48 PM
Still too early to say definitively but Macey doesn't give me much confidence.

I think those who don't seem to rate Marciano are in for a big shock when he leaves. Those two chances today don't go in if Marciano is in goal, maybe one but not both.

gaz1875
24-04-2021, 10:09 PM

I think those who don't seem to rate Marciano are in for a big shock when he leaves. Those two chances today don't go in if Marciano is in goal, maybe one but not both.

He had no chance with either, one was a fluke the other perfectly placed. What makes you think Marciano would have saved them?

hibbysam
24-04-2021, 10:10 PM
He had no chance with either, one was a fluke the other perfectly placed. What makes you think Marciano would have saved them?

His positioning would’ve been far better for the second, he’s also got a very good spring. Angle on Sportscene shows how far inside the post the second was.

gaz1875
24-04-2021, 10:12 PM
His positioning would’ve been far better for the second, he’s also got a very good spring. Angle on Sportscene shows how far inside the post the second was.

Opinions I guess.

Hibee Mac
24-04-2021, 10:20 PM
He had no chance with either, one was a fluke the other perfectly placed. What makes you think Marciano would have saved them?People used to say that kind of stuff about Mark Oxley, fact of the matter was he just never looked near saving anything.

Macey didn't cover himself in glory for either goal, neither is 100% his error but to me there's no doubt he played a large part in both. Didn't look confident all game.

hibbysam
24-04-2021, 10:21 PM
Opinions I guess.

In your opinion you think his positioning by his back post is fine for the second? Whether you think that’s a good position, it’s not an opinion to say the ball went over the line 2/3 yards inside the post, near enough middle of the goal.

bingo70
24-04-2021, 10:26 PM

His positioning and mobility for both was stinking.

Both goals took me back to the mark Oxley school of goalkeeping. No obvious bad mistake but on both occasions a better keeper would have been better.

Macey is an ok back up keeper but the idea he could replace Marciano is a nonsense, I would suggest that anyone that thinks they are of a comparable standard doesn’t know the first thing about goalkeeping.

Borderhibbie76
24-04-2021, 10:27 PM

Utter nonsense Rocky would not have said either of those goals neither were Maceys fault. And Rocky does not have a great record at saving pens neither

truehibernian
24-04-2021, 10:29 PM

Both goals took me back to the mark Oxley school of goalkeeping. No obvious bad mistake but on both occasions a better keeper would have been better.

Macey is an ok back up keeper but the idea he could replace Marciano is a nonsense, I would suggest that anyone that thinks they are of a comparable standard doesn’t know the first thing about goalkeeping.

No questioning the poor marking and defending leaving players unmarked in the 6 yard box ?

Borderhibbie76
24-04-2021, 10:30 PM

Ur all.over the place slagging off a goalie thats barely put a foot wrong for us so far...I get its too early to say whether Macey can replace Rocky or not but I dont get your Macey bashing at all...its really not base's on anything he's done wrong in games at all. Like Rocky never makes mistakes or loses dodgy goals?? All goalies at our level will have flaws but I don't get your prolific knocking off Macey

bingo70
24-04-2021, 10:31 PM
No questioning the poor marking and defending leaving players unmarked in the 6 yard box ?

Start a thread on that snd I’ll comment on it.

This thread is on the goalkeeping.

bingo70
24-04-2021, 10:34 PM
Ur all.over the place slagging off a goalie thats barely put a foot wrong for us so far...I get its too early to say whether Macey can replace Rocky or not but I dont get your Macey bashing at all...its really not base's on anything he's done wrong in games at all. Like Rocky never makes mistakes or loses dodgy goals?? All goalies at our level will have flaws but I don't get your prolific knocking off Macey

Every criticism of Macey I’ve backed up with why I don’t rate him so I don’t know what you’re talking about?

I’m scared we are looking at Macey as Marcianos replacement, he is absolutely miles off his standard in my opinion.

Macey as someone’s back up is fine with me.

truehibernian
24-04-2021, 10:37 PM
Start a thread on that snd I’ll comment on it.

This thread is on the goalkeeping.

Nah Bingo it's the right thread to say your comments about Macey are nonsense - but my point stands, in this thread, the defenders were completely at fault for both goals, not the keeper :aok:

Borderhibbie76
24-04-2021, 10:40 PM
Every criticism of Macey I’ve backed up with why I don’t rate him so I don’t know what you’re talking about?

I’m scared we are looking at Macey as Marcianos replacement, he is absolutely miles off his standard in my opinion.

U haven't backed it up at all your taking a pop at him as u have done after previous games too. Fair play if that floats your boat great- Rocky has cost us goals at Ibrox and St Johnstone recently and I don't see u being so overly critical of him?

As I say I'm no convinced Macey is the long term answer yet but I find it weird u have written him off so early and over so little

Pretty Boy
24-04-2021, 10:42 PM

That's why the keeper is there though. When an opposing team get a chance it's either as a result of good play that takes the defence out of the game or an error on the part of an individual or the system.

Without even commenting on whether he was culpable or not the failure of others doesn't mitigate a goalkeeping mistake as and when it happens. If someone feels there was an error today then the defensive mistakes are part of a bigger equation that includes the goalkeeper.

I'm a fully paid up member of the goalkeepers union but I never bought into the whole 'the ball has to get past 10 other players before it gets to me' school of thought. That's literally your job, the last line of defence.

ian cruise
24-04-2021, 10:49 PM
Motherwell player didn't know hit hit was going in so I'm not surprised Macey was expecting something else also, I don't blame him for that.

Second, possibly could have done better but Watt hit it really well. I think if any keeper stops that it's as much good fortune as it is skill.

Macey also had an excellent save in the first half.

I'd be more than confident if he was starting the next game.

truehibernian
24-04-2021, 10:50 PM
That's why the keeper is there though. When an opposing team get a chance it's either as a result of good play that takes the defence out of the game or an error on the part of an individual or the system.

Without even commenting on whether he was culpable or not the failure of others doesn't mitigate a goalkeeping mistake as and when it happens. If someone feels there was an error today then the defensive mistakes are part of a bigger equation that includes the goalkeeper.

I'm a fully paid up member of the goalkeepers union but I never bought into the whole 'the ball has to get past 10 other players before it gets to me' school of thought. That's literally your job, the last line of defence.

Sorry PB but no one can tell me tonight Macey was at fault after viewing the goals numerous times. Love your outlook on the game, but for me, tonight, you cannot blame Matt for the goals. The marking was criminal and for both goals he had no chance. The criticism of Macey is bizarre - he actually pulled off a couple of good saves and was solid - as he has been when he's come into the side.

Rocky and Macey are both good keepers with different skill sets. Lucky to have the choice of either.

bingo70
24-04-2021, 10:53 PM
U haven't backed it up at all your taking a pop at him as u have done after previous games too. Fair play if that floats your boat great- Rocky has cost us goals at Ibrox and St Johnstone recently and I don't see u being so overly critical of him?

As I say I'm no convinced Macey is the long term answer yet but I find it weird u have written him off so early and over so little

Ok, I think his position was wrong, I think he was flat footed and he shuffled across the line like he was a big stiffy, not a top level goalkeeper..

I love Marciano but i agree he will make mistakes at times, he wouldn’t have conceded both of those goals today though.

Stuart93
24-04-2021, 10:53 PM
If you watched him for their first goal he kept moving towards the right hand side of the goal and left a massive gap on his left, even if the Motherwell player had taken a touch he’d have had a massive part of the goal to aim at, not too sure where Macey was going.

Can’t really blame him for the 2nd but when you see the cross coming in he thinks about coming for it then decides to stop, most likely wouldn’t have got there

Still think Marciano’s the better goalie and would hope we’ll be looking for better when he moves on

Pretty Boy
24-04-2021, 10:54 PM
Sorry PB but no one can tell me tonight Macey was at fault after viewing the goals numerous times. Love your outlook on the game, but for me, tonight, you cannot blame Matt for the goals. The marking was criminal and for both goals he had no chance. The criticism of Macey is bizarre - he actually pulled off a couple of good saves and was solid - as he has been when he's come into the side.

Rocky and Macey are both good keepers with different skill sets. Lucky to have the choice of either.

As I say in this instance I'm not apportioning blame to the keeper nor absolving it.

I work with keepers between 11 and 15 years old. If we were going ove those goals today and one of them suggested the marking was to blame I'd have a degree of sympathy but it would be largely irrelevant to the discussion we were having and I'd say as much. Again that doesn't necessarily mean I would end up apportioning 'blame' to the keeper, merely that the analysis has to be based on the keepers actions.

truehibernian
24-04-2021, 10:56 PM
As I say in this instance I'm not apportioning blame to the keeper nor absolving it.

I work with keepers between 11 and 15 years old. If we were going ove those goals today and one of them suggested the marking was to blame I'd have a degree of sympathy but it would be largely irrelevant to the discussion we were having and I'd say as much. Again that doesn't necessarily mean I would end up apportioning 'blame' to the keeper, merely that the analysis has to be based on the keepers actions.

:aok:

I was a midfielder and it was my job to crucify the defence when a goal was conceded :greengrin

But seriously, the marking was poor and the way the balls landed in the box, with numbers there, the keeper (tonight) cannot be faulted in my opinion.

Pretty Boy
24-04-2021, 11:23 PM
:aok:

I was a midfielder and it was my job to crucify the defence when a goal was conceded :greengrin

But seriously, the marking was poor and the way the balls landed in the box, with numbers there, the keeper (tonight) cannot be faulted in my opinion.

For the 2nd goal I'd be looking at 4 things.

Was Macey positioning before the cross came in correct? Yes.

Could he have come for the cross? No. It's high, it's looping and it would involve coming into an area where there are 4 bodies. Not coming was the correct decision.

Was his positioning correct when the header was executed? This one is a bit more tricky. He starts to come for the cross then retreats and he is maybe a step too far to his right. It's not a glaring error though and he is largely where he should be, the single step hasn't cost the goal.

Are his feet set right and could he have reacted differently to the header? His feet are fine. As said above you could argue he's a step too far but he's set well. I'm not sure he could have reacted differently. It's a decent header back across him which means despite the fact he is set well he is always going to be left somewhat flat footed.

The final question then is was it a goal that was preventable from a goalkeeping point of view and what could we do differently? The first part is no. It's arguably saveable but it's a difficult save and in no way a clear error. If we were looking at doing something differently I would say there would be a case to be clearer in our decision making about not coming for the cross and ensuring we concentrate on getting positioned and set for the attempt at goal. That's split second stuff though and again isn't a key reason for concession of the goal. (I'm saying all that I still think Macey will be a bit disappointed because goalkeepers enjoy pulling off really good saves).

When I posted above the marking and so on was irrelevant I'm considering it from a goalkeeping perspective. In an ideal world we don't gift them possession on the edge of their box, we set up properly from the quick free kick, we pressure the ball better to prevent the cross and we make sure we win the header or pressure the striker better in the box. If that doesn't happen though then it doesn't negate a goalkeeping mistake if one happens. The other stuff is for the non specialised coaches to deal with😂😂

B.H.F.C
24-04-2021, 11:31 PM
For the 2nd goal I'd be looking at 4 things.

Was Macey positioning before the cross came in correct? Yes.

Could he have come for the cross? No. It's high, it's looping and it would involve coming into an area where there are 4 bodies. Not coming was the correct decision.

Was his positioning correct when the header was executed? This one is a bit more tricky. He starts to come for the cross then retreats and he is maybe a step too far to his right. It's not a glaring error though and he is largely where he should be, the single step hasn't cost the goal.

Are his feet set right and could he have reacted differently to the header? His feet are fine. As said above you could argue he's a step too far but he's set well. I'm not sure he could have reacted differently. It's a decent header back across him which means despite the fact he is set well he is always going to be left somewhat flat footed.

The final question then is was it a goal that was preventable from a goalkeeping point of view and what could we do differently? The first part is no. It's arguably saveable but it's a difficult save and in no way a clear error. If we were looking at doing something differently I would say there would be a case to be clearer in our decision making about not coming for the cross and ensuring we concentrate on getting positioned and set for the attempt at goal. That's split second stuff though and again isn't a key reason for concession of the goal. (I'm saying all that I still think Macey will be a bit disappointed because goalkeepers enjoy pulling off really good saves).

When I posted above the marking and so on was irrelevant I'm considering it from a goalkeeping perspective. In an ideal world we don't gift them possession on the edge of their box, we set up properly from the quick free kick, we pressure the ball better to prevent the cross and we make sure we win the header or pressure the striker better in the box. If that doesn't happen though then it doesn't negate a goalkeeping mistake if one happens. The other stuff is for the non specialised coaches to deal with😂😂

I’m no goalie but I didn’t think he was right at the second goal. I thought he started to come, went back, and that’s why he couldn’t react to the header.

It’s maybe simplistic, but if a goal just drops in to the net in that manner, it feels to me that the goalie hasn’t done something quite right.

Brummie_Hibs
24-04-2021, 11:33 PM
Not a chance any keeper would have got the first goal.

I can't make up my mind about second one. I kinda think he could have stuck out a leg to get it, but keepers are trained to dive to save, but in this case he wouldn't have been able to get to in time.

wearehibernian
24-04-2021, 11:34 PM
Marciano for me. Macey just a wee bit static and wrong footed although I wouldn't directly blame him for either goal really...

Vault Boy
24-04-2021, 11:37 PM
I think what makes the goals we conceded look a bit worse than they are on Macey's part is the fact he didn't dive for them. The stunted, slightly awkward movement made it seem as though he didn't react in time, regardless of whether he could have actually reached either of them.

I'm pretty undecided on both goals, but probably land slightly into the 'he could do better' category. However, his save from Cole was outstanding. Full credit to him for that.

NOLA
24-04-2021, 11:45 PM
Macey

Bangkok Hibby
25-04-2021, 04:03 AM
Macey

Allant1981
25-04-2021, 06:11 AM

I think you are going to be in for a huge shock and a lot of disappointment next season if you think we will replace Marciano with someone as good as him

Brightside
25-04-2021, 10:38 AM

Macey is just as good as Rocky.

Andy74
25-04-2021, 10:46 AM

Way, way too early for that. Rocky has proven over a number of years that he makes saves and he minimises errors.

Macey has looked okay. Still something about him I’m just not sure about and he is a long run of games away from knowing what we would be getting with him.

Fine to say he looks decent or whatever but it is fairly ridiculous to have him close to Rocky’s level yet never mind just as good.

BoomtownHibees
25-04-2021, 11:45 AM

What has made you form that opinion from the games he has played so far?

I’m one that thinks a lot of folk won’t realise how good Rocky is until he’s gone

hibbysam
25-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Way, way too early for that. Rocky has proven over a number of years that he makes saves and he minimises errors.

Macey has looked okay. Still something about him I’m just not sure about and he is a long run of games away from knowing what we would be getting with him.

Fine to say he looks decent or whatever but it is fairly ridiculous to have him close to Rocky’s level yet never mind just as good.

He’s done it for years, and has also done it consistently at the highest level in international football.

Danderhall Hibs
25-04-2021, 12:08 PM
I think the fact he doesn’t dive when he knows he’s beaten is driving a lot of opinions here - Marciano would’ve make it look spectacular while not saving them.

AliboyFC
25-04-2021, 12:51 PM
Whilst maybe slightly harsh I think Macey could have done better for the first goal. I think Marciano is the better of the 2 and has a better understanding with his defenders. Do you think the manager will stick with Macey for the semi or revert to Marciano?

Yeh didn't really rate macey much yesterday.

Shrekko
25-04-2021, 01:06 PM

Jack Ross and his staff clearly feel that Macey is of a standard where there’s not a noticeable enough difference to not trust him. Are you saying THEY know nothing?

Your criticism of Macey has been beyond ridiculous ... particularly when you more or less claim Rocky’s weaknesses are no big deal. We all have our favourites but Macey has done well in every game he’s played.

If Rocky had been in goals for the pens I would have extremely worried.

Inconsequential
25-04-2021, 01:26 PM
Jack Ross and his staff clearly feel that Macey is of a standard where there’s not a noticeable enough difference to not trust him. Are you saying THEY know nothing?

Your criticism of Macey has been beyond ridiculous ... particularly when you more or less claim Rocky’s weaknesses are no big deal. We all have our favourites but Macey has done well in every game he’s played.

If Rocky had been in goals for the pens I would have extremely worried. I know absolutely nothing about football or the art of goalkeeping but totally agree with you Shrekko! In Jack we trust. But as I say I know nothing. :agree:

BILLYHIBS
25-04-2021, 01:27 PM
Macey

H18S NX
25-04-2021, 01:33 PM
Rocky for me.

bingo70
25-04-2021, 01:42 PM

If Rocky had been in goals for the pens I would have extremely worried.

I can’t really be arsed getting into it again but you’re essentially saying if Jack Ross says he’s good then there’s no point debating it any more. Wouldn’t make for the best of forums if that is the case.

I think he could have done better with the goals (as do lots of others) and I’ve not been overly impressed by him so far. I think Marciano who has served us well over a few years now is better than a guy who has played a few games.

I’m not sure why that warrants the tone of your post but each to their own.

FWIW I agree with you about the penalties. Marcianos record at saving penalties is shocking.

lucky
25-04-2021, 01:42 PM
Macey has earned the right to play in the semi and final. Rocky might have had a stronger case if he was committed to Hibs but he’s leaving on a free transfer

MrRobot
25-04-2021, 01:47 PM
Macey for the rest of the competition.

Dalianwanda
25-04-2021, 01:54 PM
Macey has helped get us this far. Not sure what’s been agreed with JR but can’t see him being dropped.

Peevemor
25-04-2021, 01:58 PM
I don't know if there's anything in it, but yesterday Cliff & Tam were suggesting that Macey may have been promised the cup games in order for him to agree to the loan.

If true, and if we're looking to keep him after the summer, then JR's right to stick to his word.

Stick
25-04-2021, 02:10 PM
If we draw Dundee United in the semi, then it has to be Conrad.

hibsmad
25-04-2021, 02:11 PM
Macey

Rocky is an excellent keeper but it’s a cup competition and unfortunately he is hopeless at saving penalties. I’ve no idea how good Macey is at saving them, but his size will mean it’s intimidating for any penalty taker.

Macey also hasn’t done a lot wrong in the matches he’s played.