PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Motherwell 24 04 21)

Jonnyboy
24-04-2021, 08:43 PM
What a roller coaster of a game at Easter Road today as Hibs finally edged out Motherwell in a dramatic Scottish Cup quarter final penalty shootout. It all looked good for Hibs for about two thirds of normal time, but two late Motherwell goals brought the match level and requiring extra time followed by that penalty shootout. Jack Ross made a couple of changes to his starting eleven with Macey back in goals and Doig replacing Stevenson at left wingback.

The hosts started the brighter and were playing some decent football but were struggling to trouble Kelly in the Motherwell goal. Cross after cross was delivered but no Hibs man could get on the end of any of them. For their part, the visitors looked disorganised and other than a weak shot at the Hibs goal by Allan Campbell they posed no threat at all. Bizarrely, whilst Macey faced two shots in the first forty five minutes, Kelly was unemployed.

About midway through the half, Nisbet got a shot away but as the ball flew wide of Kelly’s right hand post a challenge by Gallagher left the Hibs man writhing on the turf. To be fair, there was no malice in the challenge as Gallagher had arrived just as the shot departed. Nisbet struggled with that knock for a good ten minutes but thankfully was able to play on. As the break neared, both Doidge and Irvine were off target with efforts. Having the balance of play and better possession overall, Hibs just couldn’t deliver that telling final ball. Right on the half time whistle, Gogic was correctly yellow carded by referee John Beaton.

A stern talking too by Graham Alexander had Motherwell start the second half in more determined mood but still, it was Hibs looking the more likely and seven minutes in, a delightful cross by Paul McGinn was met by the head of Christian Dodge who bulleted the ball past a helpless Kelly. Moments later Doidge had the chance of a second but lifted the ball over the bar as he stretched to make contact. On the hour mark the visitors should have been level when Devante Cole was through on goal, but Macey saved well with his legs to deny the striker.

With a little over twenty minutes left, Motherwell replaced Tyler Magloire with Tony Watt and immediately the attacking supply down the Hibs right was reduced as Watt took up a position that required McGinn to stay deep to mark him. Until that point, McGinn had enjoyed plenty of time and space down the Motherwell left. The visitors then replaced Robbie Crawford with Steven Lawless but before the new man could have any positive effect, Hibs went two ahead. That goal came in the eightieth minute and was engineered by a Boyle cut back and a Nisbet effort at goal that Irvine diverted into the net. There was a hint of offside about it but after looking long and hard at his assistant, John Beaton allowed the goal to stand.

All Hibs had to concentrate on now was looking after the ball and not giving Motherwell any encouragement to strike back. Unfortunately, the two goal lead lasted no more than two minutes as a high cross into the Hibs box reached Lamie and he decided to lob the ball back into the area but in doing so he actually got the ball on target and it dropped in at the far post. I have to be honest here and say I thought Macey could have easily collected the ball as he was under no pressure but instead watched it drift into the corner of the net.

The visitors were throwing everything at Hibs now and rather than remain composed and retaining possession the ball was often lumped up the park only to be returned moments later. Tony Watt had given his side a bit of a lift since his introduction and with two minutes left, he outjumped Martin Boyle at the back post and looped a cracking header over Macey and into the net. Boyle felt he had been impeded and voiced that view to Beaton who replied with a yellow card.

With only two minutes of normal time left, both teams looked to be trying to avoid conceding another although Joe Newell did get a shot away from the edge of the box, but it had no power in it and Kelly easily grabbed possession. So, extra time beckoned and I have to confess I felt that on the basis of how the play had flowed towards the end of normal time I thought Motherwell looked the more likely to go on and win it.

There were some really tired legs out there and around ten minutes in to extra time, Jack Ross replaced Newell and Doidge with Wright and Hallberg. Both sides looked weary but neither looked likely to secure a lead although a Josh Doig effort right on the break flew just over the bar. That would be Doig’s last contribution as the laddie was exhausted and his place was taken by Lewis Stevenson.

Three minutes in to the second period of extra time, Hibs were awarded a free kick when Boyle was hauled down around twenty yards from goal. Hallberg took the responsibility but fired his effort over the bar. Boyle and Nisbet then had shots blocked before Mark O’Hara was booked for a blatant pull on the jersey of Hallberg as the Hibs man looked to break forward. Irvine was next in the book for a crude challenge on Campbell and then Boyle was presented with a chance to secure victory when Nisbet took advantage of two defenders getting in each other’s way allowing Kevin to roll the ball to Boyle whose effort was well saved by the onrushing Kelly.

Right on the 120th minute, McGinlay brought Hallberg down and there was an exchange of views between the two. This incident brought players from both sides into the fray and there was much pushing and shoving by several players. Once the dust had settled, John Beaton booked Hallberg and McGinlay but then also decided to book Gogic meaning he would now be sent off. For me, watching it again, Gogic hardly did a thing, maybe one push whilst others, like Hanlon for example were pushing repeatedly.

The final whistle blew, and penalties awaited, with Paul Hanlon deciding Hibs would go first. Boyle scored but so too did Cole. Hallberg scored but then O’Hara fired miles over the bar. McGinn scored but Lawless hit the post meaning Hibs would win if Nisbet converted – he didn’t and then Long scored meaning Porteous could fire Hibs into the semi, and he did just that.

The players

Macey – Had a couple of routine saves in the first half but a cracker with his legs in the second. I still feel, perhaps harshly that he could easily have moved to collect the Lamie goal.

McGinn – Great first half and a fine cross for the opening goal. Not so good in the second when Motherwell changed things and Tony Watt in particular was a handful.

Porteous – I thought Ryan was outstanding today and he wins my man of the match award. He’s in top form just now and displayed zero nerves in scoring the decisive penalty.

Hanlon – Paul defended well for the most part but struggled a bit later on when the Motherwell midfield men began to dominate those in the middle for Hibs.

Boyle – Another who had a fine first half with the ball reaching him on umpteen occasions. He can feel aggrieved that some of his excellent crosses were not picked up by our two forwards.

Gogic – Another fine display from Gogic and I confess it was between him and Ryan for my man of the match award. Really unlucky to get that second yellow as other players were more aggressive during that incident but got off scot free.

Newell – Saw plenty of the ball and put in a good shift physically but when Motherwell began to dominate in the latter stages of normal time he seemed to just fade out of the game.

Irvine – At last, the scoring duck is broken. Fantastic effort for the whole 120 minutes.

Doig – I was screaming at my TV saying that Doig needed to be picked out more often in the first half because he was taking up good positions but unnoticed by his team mates.

Doidge – Christian took his goal well and could have had another but what really caught my eye (again) was his clever movement creating spaces for others.

Nisbet – Put in a good shift and I hope he doesn’t let that penalty miss haunt him too much.

Hallberg – Need and tidy in what he does, and his fresh legs helped.

Wright – I reckon this lad has a way to go to convince the Hibs support of his ability.

Stevenson – Defended well and manufactured an excellent cross from nothing, giving Nisbet the opportunity of a header at goal.

Jack Ross – The delight on his face was there for all to see.

Referee – John Beaton got most things right, but I am convinced his second yellow for Gogic was more than harsh.

erin go bragh
24-04-2021, 08:50 PM
Can’t disagree with any of that JB . Typical Hibs to put us through the ringer as at 2-0 , who wasn’t thinking job done.
Heart rate back to normal now .

Greenbeard
24-04-2021, 09:08 PM
JC on Radio Scotland felt the first yellow for Gogic was just a robust 50/50 ball with both players going in hard.
He and McFudenn thought if Hibs had not scored the second then there was justification for a penalty?
Was on audio so dunno myself.

Peevemor
24-04-2021, 09:22 PM
Sorry but I disagree regarding the ref. He's listened to too much pish about Boyle and at one point it looked like Motherwell looked to have carte blanche to foul him at will.

He was also far quicker to book our players than theirs.

He was really bad IMO.

hibbydog
24-04-2021, 09:34 PM
I’d agree with most of that, and I’m delighted we’re through.

But there are two real sobering questions

1) why do we always seem to drop out of games after going ahead

2) Why is the depth in our squad so poor? Jack Ross has had 3 transfer windows and we’ve still only got 2 strikers at the club. I just can’t see him bringing anyone off the bench who’s going to change a game for us.

Since452
24-04-2021, 09:35 PM
Didn't realise that Motherwell had won four on the bounce before today. Under the radar.

oneone73
24-04-2021, 09:37 PM

2) Why is the depth in our squad so poor? Jack Ross has had 3 transfer windows and we’ve still only got 2 strikers at the club. I just can’t see him bringing anyone off the bench who’s going to change a game for us.

Regards your second point, we'll be better when we have Cadden and Murphy available.

Saint Hibee
24-04-2021, 09:41 PM
I thought that Macey was static for both goals. Gogic and Porteous were both immense. What Drey Wright is supposed to offer, I have no idea.

ancient hibee
24-04-2021, 09:42 PM
Can't blame Macey for the first goal. It wasn't intended to go anywhere near there.

hibbydog
24-04-2021, 09:58 PM
Regards your second point, we'll be better when we have Cadden and Murphy available.

Aye.

But I have to question the wisdom of letting Gullan, Allan and Mallon leave on loan. I feel all 3 would have been able to change things for us today.

Baffling

Smartie
24-04-2021, 09:58 PM

I get your point about the strikers, lack of depth and the impact that it nearly had today.

When we were pegged back today I though it looked like our decision to have a small squad was going to come back and bite us firmly on the backside.

It is important to acknowledge how unusual this season is though. We had a limited budget and spent it as we saw fit. Gullan going out on loan looks to have been a strange move but given we’re in another semi and have done so well in the league I guess Hibs’ decision making has been largely vindicated.

hibbydog
24-04-2021, 10:09 PM
I get your point about the strikers, lack of depth and the impact that it nearly had today.

When we were pegged back today I though it looked like our decision to have a small squad was going to come back and bite us firmly on the backside.

It is important to acknowledge how unusual this season is though. We had a limited budget and spent it as we saw fit. Gullan going out on loan looks to have been a strange move but given we’re in another semi and have done so well in the league I guess Hibs’ decision making has been largely vindicated.

Och, tactics and squad decisions are genius if we get the results we want. If they don’t work the managers a dud.

Today these decisions about Gullan, Malian and Allan looked like the wrong wines but we got away with it.

Can we recall them? 2 wins in the Scottish Cup and a win or draw at Pittodrie and we’ve had the best season anyone can remember.

I don’t think any of those 3 would start but we I’m sure we’d much rather have them on the bench than not.

AZhibee
24-04-2021, 11:38 PM
Gogic needed to know better, they singled him out and baited him knowing he was on a yellow.

loanheadhibby
24-04-2021, 11:40 PM
Can’t disagree with any of that JB . Typical Hibs to put us through the ringer as at 2-0 , who wasn’t thinking job done.
Heart rate back to normal now .
The 1st goal was a fluke and Macey had no chance. Don't just agree with JB for the sake of it.

erin go bragh
24-04-2021, 11:47 PM
The 1st goal was a fluke and Macey had no chance. Don't just agree with JB for the sake of it.

I’m agreeing with him as I think his summary was spot on . Also think Macey at 6.7 could have done better with the first goal .
Definitely not agreeing with him for the sake of it ,, jeez 🙄

Forza Fred
25-04-2021, 03:15 AM
Thought Macey was unfortunate with both goals...not his fault but did feel he could have moved quicker for the second.

Thought at the time that Irvine’s goal was offside, and replays confirmed that.

Just glad there was no VAR

BILLYHIBS
25-04-2021, 07:45 AM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Thanks for posting

:thumbsup:

25-04-2021, 07:51 AM
Didn't realise that Motherwell had won four on the bounce before today. Under the radar.

Formartine Utd, St Mirren, Morton on penalties then 10 man Hamilton.

147lothian
25-04-2021, 08:43 AM
Great read Jonnyboy, I agree with previous poster, Gogic was targeted when the handbags came out.

gbhibby
25-04-2021, 09:05 AM
JC on Radio Scotland felt the first yellow for Gogic was just a robust 50/50 ball with both players going in hard.
He and McFudenn thought if Hibs had not scored the second then there was justification for a penalty?
Was on audio so dunno myself.
That's right Jackson was pushed the ref let play continue. The goal probably avoided him having to make that decision. Gogic booking was never a booking.

marinello59
25-04-2021, 11:25 AM
Thanks JB , another cracking report.
I’m still not convinced that Macey should shoulder any blame for the Lamie goal. I may carry out a more forensic examination by trying to recreate it in my back garden later. After a few beers of course.

BroxburnHibee
25-04-2021, 01:38 PM
I don't blame Macey for the first goal at all but he could've and should've punched the cross for the 2nd.

wfortune
25-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Good report John. I thought the keeper could have done better for both goals. The cross for the second spent a long time in the air.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

brog
25-04-2021, 02:11 PM
Thanks John. One interesting thing emerged for me. We dominated the 1st 20/25 minutes. We did this by moving the ball quickly & pretty much overloading down the right with Boyle, McGinn & even Doidge. I realised at this point that Joe Newell had hardly touched the ball and wondered if this contributed to our speed of movement and domination. Soon after Joe showed a nice piece of skill and Craigan, who I detest, commented, in a positive manner, that Joe Newell had the great ability to slow the game down. I'm a fan of Joe's but it did get me wondering whether we are better bypassing him and his possession ability, and instead moving the ball forward more quickly, but accurately. Our front 3 are playing well, maybe it makes more sense to get the ball to them as quickly as possible..