PDA

View Full Version : Porteous

SaulGoodman
24-04-2021, 08:18 PM
He’s cool as ****.

Magpie
24-04-2021, 08:19 PM
As soon as I saw him step up I felt confident, Hibs through and through.

HONG KONG PHOOEY
24-04-2021, 08:19 PM
Thought he was outstanding today. Was my MOM

Torto7
24-04-2021, 08:30 PM

He's been superb for a while now. I think with the improved pitch he has come into his own. On the ball there are few better in Scotland and he's cut out the silly errors. McGinn is the guy that's getting targeted just now and not in a particularity complex way. Why Jack Ross doesn't use big Daz when we're ahead like this I don't get.

NOLA
24-04-2021, 08:48 PM
I’d take 2m for him, our defence needs improvement and we all know he will be away in the near future

Greenbeard
24-04-2021, 08:51 PM
I’d take 2m for him, our defence needs improvement and we all know he will be away in the near future

That is not enough.

FilipinoHibs
24-04-2021, 08:52 PM
He's a great passer of the ball. Zings forward to feet over a long distance, quickly putting us on the front foot.

Winston Ingram
24-04-2021, 08:53 PM
He is outstanding. I love that man. If we could keep him for 1 more year I’d be delighted. We’ll sell him for a fortune

Pretty Boy
24-04-2021, 08:55 PM
How good was his last ditch tackle in ET?

Made up a lot of ground to get there, had to time it perfectly and he did. It was a quite outstanding bit of defending.

He was never missing that penalty. Cool as you like.

Hibbyradge
24-04-2021, 08:56 PM
He made one mistake near the end which nearly cost us, but otherwise he was excellent.

No wonder he's got suitors.

Robbo6-2
24-04-2021, 08:57 PM
I have been a big critic in the past, but he was brilliant today and has been for a number of weeks.

He has all the attributes to be a top centre half, just hope he makes it

Not In The Know
24-04-2021, 08:57 PM

Made up a lot of ground to get there, had to time it perfectly and he did. It was a quite outstanding bit of defending.

Should be him and Daz starting.

stoneyburn hibs
24-04-2021, 08:58 PM
His enthusiasm is a joy.

Danderhall Hibs
24-04-2021, 08:58 PM
He was excellent and showed great confidence and technique for the penalty.

marinello59
24-04-2021, 08:59 PM

Ha has come back strongly after suffering a slight blip. I did wonder if Doig taking the spotlight away from him as the next bright young thing has helped him but then dismissed it, he doesn’t lack confidence at all. Delighted to see him getting well deserved praise..

24-04-2021, 09:26 PM

Another string to his bow.

Eyrie
24-04-2021, 09:41 PM

I expected him to blast it, and he'd obviously sussed that their keeper expected that, hence the slight stutter to get the keeper moving before he rolled the ball home.

Danderhall Hibs
24-04-2021, 09:46 PM
I expected him to blast it, and he'd obviously sussed that their keeper expected that, hence the slight stutter to get the keeper moving before he rolled the ball home.

Same - I thought it was getting smashed.

Smartie
24-04-2021, 09:46 PM

That’s up there with the best tackles I can remember a Hibs player making.

Porteous was a bit ropey over the winter and I wasn’t sure he merited getting his place back ahead of Daz. He was brilliant throughout the game tonight though and he was my motm.

I still think his concentration and decision making can be a bit suspect at times, although that should improve the more he plays.

Brilliant tonight when the going got tough though and we’ve got a lot to be grateful to him for.

hibee-boys
24-04-2021, 09:49 PM
Beginning to fulfill his early promise, will get his deserved big move in the summer.

Baldy Foghorn
24-04-2021, 09:52 PM
He is outstanding. I love that man. If we could keep him for 1 more year I’d be delighted. We’ll sell him for a fortune

He's a future Captain for me, but have a horrible felling he'll be sold in Summer

Oranje39
24-04-2021, 09:52 PM
He's always improving, very impressive for such a young guy.

He has also had a couple of serious injuries and so far that doesn't seem to have too much of negative impact.

HendoDelivered
24-04-2021, 09:57 PM
Keep this man at all costs

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2021, 09:59 PM
That last pen ?

Never in doubt

:not worth

Since452
24-04-2021, 09:59 PM
Speaks so well for a young lad. Always really impressed by him.

Smartie
24-04-2021, 10:01 PM
I don't think he has any interest in staying.

Enjoy him until the summer then he'll be gone.

He's not perfect but he'll still take a bit of replacing.

DarrenSQH
24-04-2021, 10:01 PM
I love him

Stuart93
24-04-2021, 10:02 PM
Played well tonight then had the confidence to step up to take the winning pen

Alex Trager
24-04-2021, 10:06 PM
I don't think he has any interest in staying.

Enjoy him until the summer then he'll be gone.

He's not perfect but he'll still take a bit of replacing.

I would agree with that actually.

I like him and think he is obviously hibs but I’m not sure how much he is keen to stay. I don’t get that impression from him unfortunately.

I do think he would be a future captain so I hope I am wrong as I think he needs longer tbh

Pretty Boy
24-04-2021, 10:12 PM
Has Porteous said much about his future? I can't recall him speaking too much about it but maybe I've missed something.

He's contracted until the end of the season after next so whilst Hibs don't hold all the cards we have a strong hand. It's maybe worth trying to cut a deal with him similar to the one we allegedly made with Cummings. Give us another year and we'll let you go without too much fuss.

I don't think it will do his development any harm to stay at Hibs another year. The temptation in the summer would be to go to Celtic, they will definitely be in the market for 2 CBs. He can do better than that.

Jones28
24-04-2021, 10:14 PM
I love the guy. Offer him a bumper deal similar to what happened with Cummings and if he keeps his performances he will have his choice of clubs after him. I think Celtic might try in the summer.

ElginHibbie
24-04-2021, 10:32 PM
Has Porteous said much about his future? I can't recall him speaking too much about it but maybe I've missed something.

I am sure not long after the January window he admitted he his head was turned slightly but also said he knew he'd get a move when the time was right, if we have European football until Christmas that might give a chance of another 6 months or year with him but otherwise he'll for sure be off in the summer, same with Nisbet

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2021, 09:54 AM

Why does our defence need improvement? In the league this is the best defensive record we have since Sauzee was playing for us. Our defence is excellent.

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 10:02 AM
Why does our defence need improvement? In the league this is the best defensive record we have since Sauzee was playing for us. Our defence is excellent.

Agreed, the defence has played a big part in our progress this season, but it can always improve.

More to the point, though, MacGregor won't be playing next season so if Ryan leaves, we'll need at least 2 new central defenders. Doig also has suitors so he could leave although I think that's less likely.

Paul Hanlon is only 31 so he'll be here for a few more years so thankfully there will be some continuity. We really don't want to be in the position of having to build a new defence from scratch as it would be very difficult to get right at first attempt.

Pretty Boy
25-04-2021, 10:04 AM

There's not much strength in depth though.

Our defensive options from the bench yesterday were Stevenson who has been as solid as ever this season when called upon, Gray who has played 1 league game this season and played 4 last season and McGregor who will be 36 at the start of next season.

I'd expect us to bring in at least 1 right sided defender this season and probably 2 if Porteous does move on. I'd also expect that player to be one who is seen as an improvement on the options we currently have.

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2021, 10:08 AM
Agreed, the defence has played a big part in our progress this season, but it can always improve.

More to the point, though, MacGregor won't be playing next season so if Ryan leaves, we'll need at least 2 new central defenders. Doig also has suitors so he could leave although I think that's less likely.

Paul Hanlon is only 31 so he'll be here for a few more years so thankfully there will be some continuity. We really don't want to be in the position of having to build a new defence from scratch as it would be very difficult to get right at first attempt.McGregor isn't really going to be much worse next season I don't think. He'll still contribute. If Ryan goes, we do need two yes but I'd be in no rush to sell him. Offer must suit us.

There's not much strength in depth though.

Our defensive options from the bench yesterday were Stevenson who has been as solid as ever this season when called upon, Gray who has played 1 league game this season and played 4 last season and McGregor who will be 36 at the start of next season.

I'd expect us to bring in at least 1 right sided defender this season and probably 2 if Porteous does move on. I'd also expect that player to be one who is seen as an improvement on the options we currently have.

Yeah, depth is definitely an issue. I assume the plan was to have Jackson this season and we've risked it by not replacing him.

Brightside
25-04-2021, 10:10 AM
We have 2 of the best CBs in the league fingers crossed they stay for the Europe adventure.

Unseen work
25-04-2021, 10:15 AM
His transformation has been quite staggering Imo.

When he first came through he was so so rash and just loved defending. He had no interest in what he done on the ball whatsoever and never looked overly comfortable . You could tell he was good and had a lot of potential.

Now he looks very good technically for a centre half. He looks a lot more mobile and like an athlete when he first came through and is able to ping the ball across the park, step into play or play a nice through ball to the midfield.

His defending has came on leaps and bounds too and he often dominates the opposition.

His biggest issue is concentration and decision making. He’s been caught out a couple of times this season with both. Sometimes he’s tried to be a bit too fancy and it’s cost him, but he’s young.

He’s going to be a brilliant centre half for someone in the future when you consider his age. He’ll go to England and Celtic will be kicking themselves they never signed him.

Unseen work
25-04-2021, 10:17 AM
We have 2 of the best CBs in the league fingers crossed they stay for the Europe adventure.

I’d go as far as saying 3.

McGinn, Porteous and Hanlon have been as good as any.

St Johnston went through a period where they and their centre half’s of Kerr, Gordon and Mccart got a lot of praise and rightly so.

Livingston were the same with Guthrie getting a lot of praise.

But our 3 have done it consistently this season (excluding a poor month) and have us 3rd in the league.

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 10:19 AM

I can imagine Ryan deciding to stay if we get the group stages of either the Europa or the other one, the name of which evades me, and Doig should be easy enough to retain, but I think Nesbit will grab the chance of becoming a millionaire as soon as it presents itself.

Hopefully Irvine Jackson signs a new deal too, but I can envisage Boyle moving. He's 28 so his pace will start to disappear in the next couple of years. Without that, he'll be a fairly ordinary player and his attractiveness to richer clubs will drop off.

CJHibby
25-04-2021, 12:41 PM
I am a massive Hibs fan but saying Hibs have a great defence is a step too far..as John McEnroe said..you cannot be serious :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2021, 12:45 PM
I am a massive Hibs fan but saying Hibs have a great defence is a step too far..as John McEnroe said..you cannot be serious :rolleyes:

Why not? Our defence has been great this season. When you take away the daft arguments and pre-judgements of players, there is no real argument against them. There is a reason big clubs are chasing 2 of them.

CJHibby
25-04-2021, 12:58 PM
I think both Paul and Ryan get some slack for being Hibees if truth be told. I am not their biggest fan but loved PH's contribution at Tynie five years ago. Which big clubs are chasing them?

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 01:17 PM
Why not? Our defence has been great this season. When you take away the daft arguments and pre-judgements of players, there is no real argument against them. There is a reason big clubs are chasing 2 of them.

They've been good and, if they concede fewer than 5 between now and the end of the season, it'll be the best goals we've achieved in the top division. (We only conceded 39 in 18/19.)

However, I think the biggest difference is having a good holding midfielder in front of the back line. In 18/19 we had Bartley and Milligan, now we have Gogic who has been excellent for us.

Without Gogic, opponents can directly go at our defence and eventually they'll get a scoring chance, regardless of how well our defenders can play.

Gogic is the first name I look for. Then Boyle. We have adequate cover for everyone else.

CJHibby
25-04-2021, 01:25 PM
Even if Hibs concede less than five goals in the last three league games, I don't think we are great defensively. Celtic this season are a case in point..they have conceded a lot less than us and their defence is s****. Numbers and stayistics don't always tell the whole story.

Irish_Steve
25-04-2021, 01:28 PM
Porto said it's the first time he took a pen. No wonder Jack Ross couldn't look!

CJHibby
25-04-2021, 01:31 PM
A great pen..cool hand Luke..bet the sticky buns liked that one!:cb

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 01:31 PM
Even if Hibs concede less than five goals in the last three league games, I don't think we are great defensively. Celtic this season are a case in point..they have conceded a lot less than us and their defence is s****. Numbers and stayistics don't always tell the whole story.

What does tell the whole story if not the goals conceded column?

Is a strikeforce not judged by the goals they score?

CJHibby
25-04-2021, 01:36 PM
Watching with your own eyes. As I said on another thread numbers can suggest otherwise. Do you think Celtic have a good defence at present?

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 01:42 PM
Watching with your own eyes. As I said on another thread numbers can suggest otherwise. Do you think Celtic have a good defence at present?

Not as good as The Rangers' defence but they've only lost 25 goals which is less than some seasons when they've won the league.

If it's not losing goals, it's doing its job therefore it's good.

MWHIBBIES
25-04-2021, 01:43 PM

Relative to the rest of the league, yes it clearly is.

What exactly are you comparing our back line to when you say it is poor? Man City?

CJHibby
25-04-2021, 01:51 PM
If posters think Celtic have a good defence then so be it. I disagree. I didn't say Hibs defence was poor but I would say Rocky..pretty good and fairly reliable..Doig..great going forward but a bit susceptible defensively..McGinn
.steady week on week..Hanlon ok but a bit weak at times and Porto..at times quite silky but very prone to bad errors...so overall I don't see them as a great defence. I'd say St. Mirren or St. Johnstone are probably better defences than ourselves.

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 01:54 PM
If posters think Celtic have a good defence then so be it. I disagree. I didn't say Hibs defence was poor but I would say Rocky..pretty good and fairly reliable..Doig..great going forward but a bit susceptible defensively..McGinn
.steady week on week..Hanlon ok but a bit weak at times and Porto..at times quite silky but very prone to bad errors...so overall I don't see them as a great defence. I'd say St. Mirren or St. Johnstone are probably better defences than ourselves.

I'd rather a defence that loses fewer goals than one that is pleasing to the eye.

Everyone to their own though.

Hiber-nation
25-04-2021, 01:54 PM

Aye very good. It's so clear you're at it and not for the first time.

Jdawg
25-04-2021, 02:35 PM

St Mirren? Have a word with yourself. 😂😂

We have conceded 34, st mirren 40 and St Johnstone 42. I will take our defence over either of theirs.

JimBHibees
25-04-2021, 02:39 PM

Actually think that was his best game for Hibs was absolutely superb defended well and use of the ball was brilliant. Cool pen as well. Well done Ryan.

SaulGoodman
25-04-2021, 02:46 PM

Away and support St Mirren then ya bampot

basehibby
25-04-2021, 05:51 PM
Should be him and Daz starting.

Nonsense - Hanlon has been outstanding and in no way deserves to be dropped. Also, while I love Daz, it's got to be said he was bowfing last time out when we played Motherwell and were defeated 2-0 - Daz had a mare and was deservedly subbed that day - thus losing his starting spot back to Porteous. If Hanlon or Porto were to lose form or get injured or suspended then I'd be very glad to have Daz to step in - but Hanlon and Porto have 100% earned their spots in the meantime.

Baldy Foghorn
25-04-2021, 05:53 PM
I don't know if Porteous wants to leave, he is a Hibby after all. His head may have been turned with wages offered down South, but I would be offering him and Doig, decent deals to keep them both

Unseen work
26-04-2021, 12:29 AM
St Mirren have a better defence than us? Hahaha

People forget that at times we keep teams at bay with 3 defenders. Our team are very risky on the ball and whilst in possession. Boyle and Doig go really high as wing backs, Irvine bombs forward and McGinn who is one of the back 3 also bombs on

Porto, Hanlon and McGinn (or Gogic when he covers) keep most teams under control and dominate them comfortably. Yes there’s the odd game they make a mistake but of course that will happen.

St Mirren and other teams similar like St Johnstone are nowhere near as open. St Johnstone for example play a 352 with the wing backs Rooney and Tansey very much natural full backs and defensive minded. They also have the likes of Liam Craig and Murray Davidson sat right infront of them.

Of course they will look good when they’re so well protected, look at the difference Gogic alone has made to us.

Put those defenders in our team and let’s see how they get on.

Duffy at Celtic is the prime example. Defending his penalty box at Brighton when you’re defending the whole game and have everyone else covering for you is easy, defending the half way like and being at risk of a counter attack is a completely different story.

Fwiw I do actually think Kerr, Gordon and McCart are good players in their own right.

AgentDaleCooper
26-04-2021, 12:50 AM
We give away daft goals, but in the league, only the OF and aberdeen have conceded less, and the latter are only 2 goals better off. Our defence is decent.

HoboHarry
26-04-2021, 02:52 AM
if posters think celtic have a good defence then so be it. I disagree. I didn't say hibs defence was poor but i would say rocky..pretty good and fairly reliable..doig..great going forward but a bit susceptible defensively..mcginn
.steady week on week..hanlon ok but a bit weak at times and porto..at times quite silky but very prone to bad errors...so overall i don't see them as a great defence. I'd say st. Mirren or st. Johnstone are probably better defences than ourselves.
ffs.....😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂