PDA

View Full Version : John Beaton

hibbysam
24-04-2021, 06:58 PM
Just getting in early, absolutely ****ing useless. Couldn’t wait to book Hibs players and give fouls. You had to try and break Boyles leg before he got anything, failing to book Campbell for trying to half our player first half, failing to book Lamie for halving Boyle for Hallbergs free kick etc. He even got away with us getting the offside goal as it was a stonewall penalty before that on Irvine.

I’ve genuinely not seen a performance quite so bad in a long long time.

Since90+2
24-04-2021, 07:00 PM
Just getting in early, absolutely ****ing useless. Couldn’t wait to book Hibs players and give fouls. You had to try and break Boyles leg before he got anything, failing to book Campbell for trying to half our player first half, failing to book Lamie for halving Boyle for Hallbergs free kick etc. He even got away with us getting the offside goal as it was a stonewall penalty before that on Irvine.

I’ve genuinely not seen a performance quite so bad in a long long time.

Don't think he was that bad to be honest. Couple of questionable decisions granted.

Hiber-nation
24-04-2021, 07:01 PM
He was diabolical and now becoming a bit of a joke figure in Scotland. Time to retire.

DaveF
24-04-2021, 07:02 PM
It's just typical of him. He's just a ***** referee.

hibbysam
24-04-2021, 07:04 PM
Don't think he was that bad to be honest. Couple of questionable decisions granted.

Thought he was absolutely brutal. The foul on Boyle on the wing when he popped it round the corner is another (same player who got booked at the end), allowing them to take the free kick quickly 10 yards away from where boyle pulled the boy back for their second goal, then making sure we couldn’t in extra time.

truehibernian
24-04-2021, 07:05 PM
I've been in his company a few times, albeit briefly on each occasion - find him arrogant and certainly gives off an aura that he does not like us.

Best refs (for me) who I've spoken to are Clancy, McLean and Madden - all three are really nice lads.

1 8 7 5
24-04-2021, 07:05 PM
cheatin beatin

hibbysam
24-04-2021, 07:08 PM
I've been in his company a few times, albeit briefly on each occasion - find him arrogant and certainly gives off an aura that he does not like us.

Best refs (for me) who I've spoken to are Clancy, McLean and Madden - all three are really nice lads.

Could see it in his attitude towards Irvine, looks so aggressive towards players instead of trying to referee them.

Billy Whizz
24-04-2021, 07:17 PM
Can’t believe he didn’t book Lamie , cynical challenge on Boyle

Torto7
24-04-2021, 08:10 PM
I have no doubt he's a hun's hun but I've never watched him and thought he was biased. He just allows a very physical game and is a crappy ref.

hibbysam
24-04-2021, 08:12 PM
I have no doubt he's a hun's hun but I've never watched him and thought he was biased. He just allows a very physical game and is a crappy ref.

Issue tonight was he allowed it to be physical one way only. Obviously reading far too much into the ‘Boyle diver’ chat, and folk wondered why it made any difference Sportscene highlighting it at every opportunity.

Magpie
24-04-2021, 08:14 PM
I watched extra time with a friend of mine who is a Celtic fan and the moment it kicked off my friend said to me that Beaton will send a Hibs player off here. Wasn’t surprised at all. Boyle and Gogic out of the semi final will be a miss but fingers crossed we play Killie, St Mirren or Dundee Utd in the semi. As much as I hate Rangers I hope we play them in the final to secure group stages of Europe.

Torto7
24-04-2021, 08:15 PM
Issue tonight was he allowed it to be physical one way only. Obviously reading far too much into the ‘Boyle diver’ chat, and folk wondered why it made any difference Sportscene highlighting it at every opportunity.

Yeah I agree on the Boyle point. That needs to be nipped in the bud asap as he's one of the most fouled players in the league. We have a lack of Hibs people in the media imo.

McD
25-04-2021, 08:41 AM
Let Motherwell away with a lot of banging and nudging and niggly fouls IMO, and also let their fullbacks take 10+ yards at almost every throw in.

Campbell should’ve been booked for the attempt on gogic, and the booking that (I think) Irvine got seemed to be because he wanted a corner that was given as a goal kick, the booking was delivered in a really aggressive manner

JimBHibees
25-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Yep the sportsound and sportscene chat has obviously had an impact with Boyle now not getting fouls which are. Two in about a minute in the second half. His chatting to Campbell when trying to take out Newell was a joke also. Boyle booked for no dive at Ibrox now not getting fouls is a joke.

JimBHibees
25-04-2021, 08:54 AM
Can’t believe he didn’t book Lamie , cynical challenge on Boyle

Was that the one Boyle didn't get foul for?

25-04-2021, 08:55 AM
Let Motherwell away with a lot of banging and nudging and niggly fouls IMO, and also let their fullbacks take 10+ yards at almost every throw in.

Campbell should’ve been booked for the attempt on gogic, and the booking that (I think) Irvine got seemed to be because he wanted a corner that was given as a goal kick, the booking was delivered in a really aggressive manner

No doubt that they were getting a lot of decisions going their way which IMO means they can't grumble so much when a big one like the 2nd goal goes against them. Arguably we could've had a penalty anyway.

Hibbyradge
25-04-2021, 08:56 AM

"He looked at me in a funny way!" :greengrin

Irvine must have been giving it tight to the referee so the ref gets annoyed and books him. It probably was a bit aggressive so maybe not flawlessly professional to let his emotions take over, but understandable.

I know. I'm a pariah. I'll look out the hair shirt immediately.

JimBHibees
25-04-2021, 08:57 AM
Who indicated to Beaton that Gogic should be booked as obviously Beaton never gave it and was being spoken to over his earpiece? How someone can see that from 70 yards away is interesting.

Bostonhibby
25-04-2021, 08:59 AM
"He looked at me in a funny way!" :greengrin

Irvine must have been giving it tight to the referee so the ref gets annoyed and books him. It probably was a bit aggressive so maybe not flawlessly professional to let his emotions take over, but understandable.

I know. I'm a pariah. I'll look out the hair shirt immediately.[emoji23]

Surely worth appealing as Beaton definitely looked at him in a hunnish way, looks like Murray Ross's slightly more successful brother.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
25-04-2021, 09:01 AM
No doubt that they were getting a lot of decisions going their way which IMO means they can't grumble so much when a big one like the 2nd goal goes against them. Arguably we could've had a penalty anyway.

Agree think it was a foul on Irvine though he did look just off but difficult call I think. Beaton wrong corner decision also cost Irvine a yellow.

EdinMike
25-04-2021, 09:21 AM
The whole Cambell intentional challenge on Gogic really does have me thinking, was he “technically” right not to book as no contact was made. Or is there an actual law within the game to “book on intent of dangerous play” with or without contact... I’m a bowl of corn flakes away from actually looking through the ref manual !

JimBHibees
25-04-2021, 09:24 AM
The whole Cambell intentional challenge on Gogic really does have me thinking, was he “technically” right not to book as no contact was made. Or is there an actual law within the game to “book on intent of dangerous play” with or without contact... I’m a bowl of corn flakes away from actually looking through the ref manual !

Clear intent to take him out, unusual not to be a booking I think.

Eyrie
25-04-2021, 09:31 AM

I don't know the letter of the law, but that should be a booking regardless of whether there is contact. I think contact is irrelevant for a missed punch or headbutt.

EdinMike
25-04-2021, 09:36 AM
I don't know the letter of the law, but that should be a booking regardless of whether there is contact. I think contact is irrelevant for a missed punch or headbutt.

Yeh I was thinking along the lines of “a missed punch” myself you wouldn’t think twice to book a player for that. So I dunno probably shouldn’t let myself get down a rabbit hole thinking about it...

Peevemor
25-04-2021, 09:49 AM
There was also a blatant wrestle on Doidge when going for a high ball about 10yds into their half. It went on for a good few seconds and Doidge eventually gave up. The look of disbelief on his face when Beaton gave nothing spoke volumes.

J-C
25-04-2021, 10:10 AM
Simply put the man's a cheating ****.

JohnM1875
25-04-2021, 10:15 AM
Guy is an absolute honking referee. Zero consistency and seems likes he's guessing half the time.