PDA

View Full Version : Rangers or St Johnstone?

King Cosell
22-04-2021, 10:55 PM
If we beat Motherwell on Saturday, would you rather have Rangers or St Johnstone joining us in the semis?

SMAXXA
22-04-2021, 10:57 PM
This a serious question? 🤦*♂️

Sir David Gray
22-04-2021, 10:58 PM
Rangers.

JohnM1875
22-04-2021, 11:01 PM
I'd honestly much prefer to have Rangers if we make the final.

1. Guaranteed group stage football providing we finish third.
2. I'd absolutely LOVE to beat them in a final again. Other than maybe Hearts, the huns are the team I love beating most.

franck sauzee
22-04-2021, 11:06 PM

Don't see what's wrong with the OPs question. Normally it would be a resounding answer of St Johnstone. This year is different however and unfortunately if we don't win the cup we need Rangers to win it. I'd be happy with us in the final with Rangers knowing that we at least had group stage European football to fall back on should we not skelp the Huns again

Hibernia&Alba
22-04-2021, 11:25 PM
St Johnstone, of course. I want the best possible chance to win it.

1875godsgift
22-04-2021, 11:32 PM
If we beat Motherwell on Saturday, would you rather have Rangers or St Johnstone joining us in the semis?

Hearts :agree:

Oh, wait a minute.... Brora Rangers.....

Diclonius
23-04-2021, 12:22 AM
Hibs v Kilmarnock
St Johnstone v Dundee Utd

Then:
Hibs v Dundee Utd

Thanks.

Hulk1875
23-04-2021, 02:40 AM
Beat Motherwell first then see from there

mayo hibee
23-04-2021, 05:15 AM

It's a very fair question. For me at the moment the answer is The Rangers, yes it makes it more difficult to win the Scottish Cup but we're just one of eight teams left in that right now, whereas the Europa Groups is something we have one hand on with third already pretty much in the bag. And as we have seen already this season, cup games can be a total lottery compared to the consistent performances that have taken us up the league table.

If St Johnstone win it will take a huge amount of the value out of finishing third as the group stage place will then be decided through the cup.

Since452
23-04-2021, 05:23 AM
Sadly Rangers. The ideal scenario would be beating them in the final.

Gmack7
23-04-2021, 05:40 AM
St Johnstone all day long, massively increases our chances of winning the cup with no chance of drawing der hun in the semi

hibbysam
23-04-2021, 06:10 AM
St Johnstone all day long, massively increases our chances of winning the cup with no chance of drawing der hun in the semi

We’d probably have as much chance of beating Rangers than St Johnstone.

scoopyboy
23-04-2021, 06:31 AM

Rangers for me, Hibs in the semi without the Old Firm is a recipe for disaster.

Onceinawhile
23-04-2021, 06:52 AM

Yup. Let st mirren take care of them in the semi final and we'll beat St mirren in the final.

Jobs a good un.

Got to get past motherwell first though and that won't be easy.

calumhibee1
23-04-2021, 06:55 AM
St Johnstone.

Even not managing to win the cup we’d still be in Europe and still have the chance to get to the group stages.

I’d rather have the best possible chance of winning the cup, especially since we’re going into Europe at some stage regardless.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2021, 06:58 AM

What's making you think that?

Our record v St Johnstone isn't great but we have failed to beat Rangers in our last 12 matches against them. In our last 12 matches v St Johnstone we've won three times.

Having said that if we finish 3rd I'd rather take our chances v Rangers in the final this year than any other club, given what's at stake for us in Europe.

Allez Hibs
23-04-2021, 07:41 AM
St Johnstone all day.

I want to see us win the Scottish Cup.

hibbysam
23-04-2021, 07:42 AM
What's making you think that?

Our record v St Johnstone isn't great but we have failed to beat Rangers in our last 12 matches against them. In our last 12 matches v St Johnstone we've won three times.

Having said that if we finish 3rd I'd rather take our chances v Rangers in the final this year than any other club, given what's at stake for us in Europe.

So we’d still have a huge chance of losing to st Johnstone based on previous results? It would be different if it was a club we are renowned of beating, but there would still be a huge risk we wouldn’t win the cup, therefore your last paragraph is one I agree with massively. Rangers every day of the week, and take our chances in the final.

The benefits of next years European run are absolutely massive for this club, we’d be one game away from the Europa league groups, never in my life would I have thought I’d say that about Hibs.

green with envy
23-04-2021, 07:42 AM

Apart from when we won it.:agree:

Andy74
23-04-2021, 07:43 AM
St Johnstone all day.

I want to see us win the Scottish Cup.

Does it matter what order we do it then?

Sioux
23-04-2021, 07:44 AM
Based on us finishing 3rd in the league, if we want group stages in Europe, we want to play rangers in the final. Of course there's no guarantee, or anywhere near a guarantee, that we'll reach the final.

By next weekend we might have secured third place, but out of the cup, but other than us or rangers we don't want anyone else winning the cup.

For me, if you gave me this scenario;

We lose to Motherwell, pick up at least two points from our remaining league games, and rangers win the cup.............I'm taking it.

Allez Hibs
23-04-2021, 07:47 AM
Based on us finishing 3rd in the league, if we want group stages in Europe, we want to play rangers in the final. Of course there's no guarantee, or anywhere near a guarantee, that we'll reach the final.

By next weekend we might have secured third place, but out of the cup, but other than us or rangers we don't want anyone else winning the cup.

For me, if you gave me this scenario;

We lose to Motherwell, pick up at least two points from our remaining league games, and rangers win the cup.............I'm taking it.

Not taking that no. We should be hell bent on winning this Scottish Cup after the two semi final disasters this season.

3rd place is nice but for economic reasons more than anything. I want to see us win a trophy.

Since90+2
23-04-2021, 08:00 AM
Not taking that no. We should be hell bent on winning this Scottish Cup after the two semi final disasters this season.

3rd place is nice but for economic reasons more than anything. I want to see us win a trophy.

It's not just economic reasons. If we finish 3rd and Rangers win the cup we will have guaranteed group stage European football for the first time in the club's history.

danhibees1875
23-04-2021, 08:06 AM
Apart from when we won it.:agree:

Both sides of the old firm were in the semi finals when we won it. :confused:

It's a tough one. I guess I'll just choose to see the sunny uplands of either outcome so long as we win ourselves.

If we get beat, then obviously just want rangers to skoosh it.

Allez Hibs
23-04-2021, 08:06 AM
It's not just economic reasons. If we finish 3rd and Rangers win the cup we will have guaranteed group stage European football for the first time in the club's history.

Economic reasons. Which is really great for the club but I would like to see them also lift a trophy.

green with envy
23-04-2021, 08:14 AM
Both sides of the old firm were in the semi finals when we won it. :confused:

It's a tough one. I guess I'll just choose to see the sunny uplands of either outcome so long as we win ourselves.

If we get beat, then obviously just want rangers to skoosh it.

Ooops, I thought Scoopy was referring to Hibs not playing any of the old firm in the semi's.

Crunchie
23-04-2021, 08:18 AM
St Johnstone.

Even not managing to win the cup we’d still be in Europe and still have the chance to get to the group stages.

I’d rather have the best possible chance of winning the cup, especially since we’re going into Europe at some stage regardless.

Agreed, can't believe anyone is saying otherwise.

rodhibs55
23-04-2021, 08:29 AM
Hibs v Kilmarnock
St Johnstone v Dundee Utd

Then:
Hibs v Dundee Utd

Thanks.

That's the scenario for me.

Since90+2
23-04-2021, 08:31 AM
Economic reasons. Which is really great for the club but I would like to see them also lift a trophy.

I'd also like us to play group stage football at Easter Road and around Europe. There might be economic benefits from that, which is a positive in itself, but it would also be fantastic from a fans perspective.

wookie70
23-04-2021, 08:38 AM
If we get to the semis I think I want The Rangers to still be in the competition but to avoid them in the draw. That way we either play someone we can beat in the final if we get there or The Rangers which guarantees a big prize assuming we are 3rd. That amounts to too many ifs and ands but I am cautious and say I'd want the Rangers to beat St Johnstone but much depends on the semi draw and us being 3rd. The beauty is that if St Johnstone win then we get to laugh at The Rangers and if they get beat then we have two chances of group stages if we are still in the cup.

Fergus52
23-04-2021, 08:38 AM
I'd also like us to play group stage football at Easter Road and around Europe. There might be economic benefits from that, which is a positive in itself, but it would also be fantastic from a fans perspective.

This. £4million or so from the groups is a transformational amount of money for a club like hibs. Then hopefully if the EU can speed up its vaccine rollout there'd be the potential of three different away trips around Europe to go on in the Autumn.

We can still win the cup even with Rangers still in it.

Steve20
23-04-2021, 09:22 AM
Surely we want to win the cup. Never mind this Rangers win the cup and it's better for our Europe campaign. Our best chance of winning the cup is Rangers going out.

St Johnstone win.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2021, 09:22 AM
So we’d still have a huge chance of losing to st Johnstone based on previous results? It would be different if it was a club we are renowned of beating, but there would still be a huge risk we wouldn’t win the cup, therefore your last paragraph is one I agree with massively. Rangers every day of the week, and take our chances in the final.

The benefits of next years European run are absolutely massive for this club, we’d be one game away from the Europa league groups, never in my life would I have thought I’d say that about Hibs.

We would have a chance of losing to St Johnstone but based on results over the last 3 seasons we have a 0% win rate v Rangers and a 33% win rate v St Johnstone.

We appear to be in agreement though for this season at least. If we were in any position other than 3rd, I'd be wanting Rangers out but this season I want them to get to the final against us. I would obviously want us to then win that final but at least if we didn't then we would have the consolation of group stage European football to look forward to.

I'd be really disappointed to get 3rd and then a team like St Johnstone or Aberdeen won the cup and bumped us down the European pecking order.

Northernhibee
23-04-2021, 09:23 AM
Rangers. The ideal situation is a Rangers vs Hibs final.

Stairway 2 7
23-04-2021, 09:26 AM
Does people's opinions change if we get beat of motherwell

AFKA5814_Hibs
23-04-2021, 09:26 AM
Given the circumstances of 3rd place or Scottish Cup winners being guaranteed European football until Christmas, with the Cup winner getting the nod, it's a tougher question than first seems. Let's say the Semi Final line up was Hibs, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Aberdeen, yes our chances of winning the cup appears better with the Huns out, but the line up for the League cup semi was Hibs, St Johnstone, St Mirren and Livi and we didn't win that or even get to the final. The Huns still being in the Cup strengthens our chances of making the group stages of Europe. It's a conundrum that's for sure.

DH1875
23-04-2021, 09:27 AM
On the plus side, all the huns want us. Can't wait to beat them again :flag:

calumhibee1
23-04-2021, 09:41 AM

Absolutely.

Then I’ll be hanging a picture of the queen in my living room and getting a UJ tattoo.

Stairway 2 7
23-04-2021, 09:45 AM
Absolutely.

Then I’ll be hanging a picture of the queen in my living room and getting a UJ tattoo.

😆

Brooster
23-04-2021, 09:50 AM
St Johnstone.....no brainer really.

Pagan Hibernia
23-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Much better chance of winning the Scottish Cup for the second time in 5 years if the Rangers are out. Therefore I prefer that option.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-04-2021, 10:09 AM
Either, because that will mean that we have won this weekend.

scoopyboy
23-04-2021, 10:17 AM

If Hibs lose on Saturday do you change your mind?

Northernhibee
23-04-2021, 10:21 AM
As long as Rangers are in it our chances of group stage football are doubled.

Brummie_Hibs
23-04-2021, 10:23 AM
We could get St Mirren in the final and I would still not back Hibs to win it.

So I have to back Rangers as they are less prone to screw it up.

seanshow
23-04-2021, 10:23 AM
St Johnstone,
But If WE then make the final against any other team than the current buns wow
what a winner takes all match that would be! especially say it was against the sheepies.

Northernhibee
23-04-2021, 10:27 AM
St Johnstone,
But If we then make the final against any other team than the current buns wow
what a winner takes all match that would be! especially say it was against the sheepies.

For that reason I genuinely can’t believe people are picking St Johnstone.

Especially after the last year group stages football would be absolutely huge for this club. If Rangers are also in it then our chances of that are massively increased. A Rangers vs Hibs final guarantees group stage football and a pop at the cup.

Why would any Hibs fan want to add jeopardy to that scenario?

Brooster
23-04-2021, 10:28 AM
If Hibs lose on Saturday do you change your mind?

Of course but the chance to win the Scottish Cup trumps all other options in my mind.

Pagan Hibernia
23-04-2021, 10:29 AM
For that reason I genuinely can’t believe people are picking St Johnstone.

Especially after the last year group stages football would be absolutely huge for this club. If Rangers are also in it then our chances of that are massively increased. A Rangers vs Hibs final guarantees group stage football and a pop at the cup.

Why would any Hibs fan want to add jeopardy to that scenario?

winning the cup matters more to me than European football.

Northernhibee
23-04-2021, 10:31 AM

Group stage European football would be a rarer achievement for us nowadays in this football climate than the cup (and Rangers going through doesn’t take away our chance at the cup).

500miles
23-04-2021, 10:31 AM
St Johnstone.

I'd rather Rangers never got anywhere near another bit of silverware this season.

Wilson
23-04-2021, 10:32 AM
I genuinely don't care. As long as we're in the tournament then it is in our own hands. Lets just beat Motherwell.

weecounty hibby
23-04-2021, 10:33 AM
St Johnstone. I believe that with the hun out we would win the cup.

Pagan Hibernia
23-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Group stage European football would be a rarer achievement for us nowadays in this football climate than the cup (and Rangers going through doesn’t take away our chance at the cup).

Id say Rangers going through reduces our chances of winning the cup considerably.

Andy74
23-04-2021, 10:40 AM

Both would be good but if it was a choice this year I’d like to see us in Europe for an extended period. Has the potential to help develop the club again more than a cup win would do at this point.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2021, 10:41 AM
St Johnstone. I believe that with the hun out we would win the cup.

I thought that as well a few months ago when Rangers were knocked out of the League Cup by St Mirren!

PH91
23-04-2021, 10:41 AM
Don't see what's wrong with the OPs question. Normally it would be a resounding answer of St Johnstone. This year is different however and unfortunately if we don't win the cup we need Rangers to win it. I'd be happy with us in the final with Rangers knowing that we at least had group stage European football to fall back on should we not skelp the Huns again

Totally agree.

The cup would usually always be a priority but in this case where there are no fans at the final and the benefits of us/rangers winning the cup are group stage european football, raising the clubs profile, chance to potentially play a big name of european football, 4 away trips and a huge cash windfall, I'm ok with wanting rangers to win every cup game they play until they play us.

At a point where we really want to kick on and try and open a gap between us and aberdeen/hearts, it would be a huge boost.

Allez Hibs
23-04-2021, 10:47 AM

That's a whole other debate.

Allez Hibs
23-04-2021, 10:50 AM
If its a choice between Europe and the Scottish Cup then it's not even a question really.

Scottish Cup all day and every day long for a number of reasons. First, so we can move on from 2016 and look forward.

SJNB Hibby
23-04-2021, 10:54 AM
This. £4million or so from the groups is a transformational amount of money for a club like hibs. Then hopefully if the EU can speed up its vaccine rollout there'd be the potential of three different away trips around Europe to go on in the Autumn.

We can still win the cup even with Rangers still in it.
Four trips actually

MWHIBBIES
23-04-2021, 10:56 AM
We could get St Mirren in the final and I would still not back Hibs to win it.

So I have to back Rangers as they are less prone to screw it up.

St Mirren are one of the few teams I'd be certain we'd beat. Had their number for years.

weecounty hibby
23-04-2021, 11:02 AM
I thought that as well a few months ago when Rangers were knocked out of the League Cup by St Mirren!
Yeah, we lost then. Still doesn't make me think that any of the other teams left are better than us.

DIXIHIBS
23-04-2021, 11:20 AM
For me the ideal scenario is hibs v huns final. Euro situation guaranteed and all pressure off in a final where the huns are clear favourites. A free hit for us with the back up of the euro place. Also dont relish hibs being favourites if we aren't playing huns.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2021, 11:21 AM
Yeah, we lost then. Still doesn't make me think that any of the other teams left are better than us.

The way I'm looking at it is if we make the semi finals then we have a 1 in 4 chance of winning the cup regardless of whether Rangers are also there or not.

However (assuming we finish 3rd) if we get to the semi finals we have a 1 in 4 chance of getting European group stage football if Rangers go out at the weekend. If they also progress to the semis then there's a 2 in 4 chance that we'll get to the group stages.

Northernhibee
23-04-2021, 11:45 AM
If its a choice between Europe and the Scottish Cup then it's not even a question really.

Scottish Cup all day and every day long for a number of reasons. First, so we can move on from 2016 and look forward.

It’s not a choice though, it’s Rangers vs St Johnstone. I want a Rangers vs Hibs final, then we can play with the shackles of pressure off.

Brightside
23-04-2021, 02:24 PM
The Europe games are worth so much more to us. We need to beat Rangers in the final. 😂

B.H.F.C
23-04-2021, 02:37 PM
Of course but the chance to win the Scottish Cup trumps all other options in my mind.

Normally, I’d completely agree.

But guaranteeing group stage European football, which I may actually get to attend, holds more appeal for me at the moment. Winning the cup whilst sitting in the house just wouldn’t really feel like winning the cup I don’t think.

Ideal scenario is that we obviously qualify by winning the cup. Not that I don’t want us to win it, of course.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2021, 03:00 PM
Normally, I’d completely agree.

But guaranteeing group stage European football, which I may actually get to attend, holds more appeal for me at the moment. Winning the cup whilst sitting in the house just wouldn’t really feel like winning the cup I don’t think.

Ideal scenario is that we obviously qualify by winning the cup. Not that I don’t want us to win it, of course.

:agree: Agree with that.

Eyrie
23-04-2021, 07:02 PM
The best outcome for Hibs is the lucrative prospect of group stage European football next season, which will provide the financial boost needed for us to consolidate our current position.

There are two ways to achieve that - win the Scottish Cup, or finish third with Sevco winning the Cup.

So my answer isn't St Johnstone.

Keith_M
23-04-2021, 07:07 PM
Do we really want to play St Johnstone in a Cup competition again this season?

I'd have thought the LC Semi-Final experience would have put us off that idea.

Killiehibbie
23-04-2021, 07:15 PM
I want to win the cup by beating The Rangers in the final again.

Green Reaper
23-04-2021, 07:17 PM
I want to win the cup by beating The Rangers in the final again.

Huns 2-Hibs 3, has a nice ring to it

Wakeyhibee
23-04-2021, 07:35 PM
Would take either. If anything I'd sway for Rangers because I think we'd up our game should we meet them in the Semi or Final.

I'd love the Europa league group spot too by winning the play off and miss the ECL altogether

23-04-2021, 07:54 PM
St Johnston 100%.

As much as beating Rangers would be unbelievably satisfying, they are a much better team than St Johnston and therefore we would have less chance of making the final.