PDA

View Full Version : Analysis watch - data on Hibs performance

Tyler Durden
22-04-2021, 12:29 PM
I think there are a few posters here who like myself, are interested in football analytics. I thought it might be a good idea to share any interesting articles which have Hibs or Scottish PL relevance.

First up a few recent posts from the Arab Analytics Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/AnalyticsFC/status/1385154271801446400?s=20

In summary, this gives a breakdown of how all teams score their goals. It's shows that Hibs excel at counter attacks, whilst still having a decent split of other sources such as set pieces.

This is supported by this table (I'm not sure how to embed photos etc - if someone can embed the table please do so). This shows we're 2nd bottom in terms of pressing and winning the ball high in opposition half leading to a Hibs goal.

https://twitter.com/ArabAnalytics/status/1384619087163179008?s=20

Tyler Durden
22-04-2021, 12:33 PM
Why is this interesting? It's been said a few times on here that Hibs lack a style of play or that we too often surrender the midfield battle. What the above analysis suggests, is that it's a deliberate tactic. We're happy to sit deep, absorb some pressure and try to counter teams..... clearly with Boyle being our main asset there.

The lack of turnovers and pressing might be a bit of a frustration for some fans. But I guess it's tough to argue with the results this season?

Brightside
22-04-2021, 12:37 PM
Why is this interesting? It's been said a few times on here that Hibs lack a style of play or that we too often surrender the midfield battle. What the above analysis suggests, is that it's a deliberate tactic. We're happy to sit deep, absorb some pressure and try to counter teams..... clearly with Boyle being our main asset there.

The lack of turnovers and pressing might be a bit of a frustration for some fans. But I guess it's tough to argue with the results this season?

Excellent posts. Thanks.

Fergus52
22-04-2021, 01:15 PM
Surprising the much higher percentage of 'build up' attacks that Aberdeen and Ross county have compared to us, would not have expected that.

Our counter attacking style has worked well, but being able to create more chances from possession based build up could possibly be something for Ross to work on with the team.

Based on those stats we don't really create many chances when we've had the ball for a long period of time. Which does make sense cause I can think of a good few periods in matches this season where we've had a lot of the ball but not really done much with it.

CMurdoch
22-04-2021, 01:26 PM

Good stuff. Better than folk ranting on this board based on nothing.

JeMeSouviens
22-04-2021, 01:27 PM
Probably explains why we struggle against the less adventurous teams like St Johnstone.

Unseen work
22-04-2021, 02:22 PM

I’ve said this before. If we sit off and allow teams to come onto us it creates a lot more space to exploit and with Nisbet, Doidge, Boyle and Doig we have proved to be very good at this and countering teams.

As a whole we’ve been pretty solid defensively this season too, most teams in Scotland struggle to break teams down if they’re well organised.

On the ball we take our time to create space and move players about before a quick or direct pass/switch of players by I isolate the defenders and create a 1 v 1.

Stanton Spence
22-04-2021, 03:13 PM
I’ve said this before. If we sit off and allow teams to come onto us it creates a lot more space to exploit and with Nisbet, Doidge, Boyle and Nisbet we have proved to be very good at this and countering teams.

As a whole we’ve been pretty solid defensively this season too, most teams in Scotland struggle to break teams down if they’re well organised.

On the ball we take our time to create space and move players about before a quick or direct pass/switch of players by I isolate the defenders and create a 1 v 1.Have we signed another Nisbet? [emoji23]
Great post TD thanks for putting this up [emoji1303]

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Unseen work
22-04-2021, 06:51 PM
Have we signed another Nisbet? [emoji23]

That’s twice in a day I’ve done that! I’ll learn one day!

Tyler Durden
22-04-2021, 07:38 PM
Surprising the much higher percentage of 'build up' attacks that Aberdeen and Ross county have compared to us, would not have expected that.

Our counter attacking style has worked well, but being able to create more chances from possession based build up could possibly be something for Ross to work on with the team.

Based on those stats we don't really create many chances when we've had the ball for a long period of time. Which does make sense cause I can think of a good few periods in matches this season where we've had a lot of the ball but not really done much with it.

Yeah I agree. You’d imagine more teams next season will sit deep and try to frustrate us. Double up on Boyle etc

So we will need to adapt to that and be able to break teams down a bit more.

I think Ross has focused on making us hard to beat and more organised for his first 18 months. Hopefully we’ll keep developing into a more expansive team as he’s able to add more players and ideas to the squad.

Tyler Durden
22-04-2021, 07:40 PM
Have we signed another Nisbet? [emoji23]

No worries 👍🏻

Will keep adding to the thread whenever I see any Hibs related analysis. Some great Scottish analysis accounts on Twitter.

Tyler Durden
18-11-2021, 02:10 PM
Saw a great thread on Twitter earlier this week on team's performances on corners this season. This table shows a breakdown of corners leading to shots and we're near the bottom in terms of effectiveness

This thread goes into some detail on Aberdeen's recent success on corners.
https://twitter.com/coachchrismcl/status/1459156841204617222?s=20

Sergio sledge
18-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Saw a great thread on Twitter earlier this week on team's performances on corners this season. This table shows a breakdown of corners leading to shots and we're near the bottom in terms of effectiveness

This thread goes into some detail on Aberdeen's recent success on corners.
https://twitter.com/coachchrismcl/status/1459156841204617222?s=20

Do Aberdeen not have that guy that was England's set piece coach as an assistant coach? Seems to be doing a good job from the looks of things.

Lendo
18-11-2021, 06:51 PM
Would love to have seen the data for Hibs season by season to see what trends developed under different managers (we can exclude Butcher)