PDA

View Full Version : British(boak) Super League

Phil MaGlass
22-04-2021, 06:09 AM
Seems negotiations have been on going with huns and sellik, I know it from the Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14723904/rangers-celtic-british-super-league-premier-league/

please let them go

green day
22-04-2021, 06:23 AM
Excellent news, we dont want them.

Col2
22-04-2021, 06:37 AM
Funny timing ....

And while PM Boris Johnson launched into the Super League debate by insisting he would throw every possible obstacle in the way of the changes, the prospect of including Rangers and Celtic in a cross-border UK league would be a potential factor in the fight against the proposed second Scottish independence referendum.

BlackSheep
22-04-2021, 06:38 AM
Wave bye bye to tv money if they do go....

Northernhibee
22-04-2021, 06:39 AM
Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and Brora maybe?

SChibs
22-04-2021, 06:47 AM
Not the same but I kind of like the idea of a British Cup played every 2 years which would see all the league teams from Scotland, England, Wales and N. Ireland compete for a trophy. It would probably need to be regional for the first 2 rounds. There would be some decent trips for for fans and the chance for some smaller clubs to play against bigger teams.

Phil MaGlass
22-04-2021, 06:49 AM
It wont be the British Cup in a couple of years, probably cross border cup after were Independent.

Phil MaGlass
22-04-2021, 06:51 AM

I would quite gladly wave bye bye to some cash if it meant goodbye to these two groups of asswipes

22-04-2021, 07:00 AM
As long as they go completely. No participation in our cups or 2nd teams in any of our leagues.

SChibs
22-04-2021, 07:02 AM
It wont be the British Cup in a couple of years, probably cross border cup after were Independent.

That's true. Now I think of it that's too many teams for it to be feasible. Maybe all the cup winners and league champions could enter. (Runners up if same teams wins cups and/or league). Plus the highest league finisher that hasn't already qualified then it gives you 16 teams so there would only be 4 games to play so easy to fit in.

Gate receipts could be split so it would be a good wat to make money for the smaller teams involved and there would be some great trips for the fans

jacomo
22-04-2021, 07:07 AM

Imagine, in 10 years’ time, an independent Scotland and independent United Ireland... yet Celtc playing their matches in England.

Will be a bit harder to sustain their rebel songs then eh?

marinello59
22-04-2021, 07:14 AM

Yeap. And the right for our league winners to truly call themselves Scottish Champions. You don’t improve a league by letting the two strongest teams in it leave.

hibsbollah
22-04-2021, 07:23 AM
Yeap. And the right for our league winners to truly call themselves Scottish Champions. You don’t improve a league by letting the two strongest teams in it leave.

You don’t improve it by holding those teams against their will either, if that were even possible. These are just games of poker, you need to say publicly ‘don’t let the ****ing door hit your arse on the way oot’.

ScottB
22-04-2021, 07:23 AM
Not much different to the European concept, a total disregard for pretty much every club outside the Big 6 in England.

Who is going to vote to add the Old Firm to a reduced 18 team Premier League? What incentive is there for the Burnley’s and Brighton’s to essentially vote themselves out of the league? Then you can apply that logic right down the pyramid. Nonsense.

As for FIFA / UEFA support, no, there isn’t. They’ve backed the full on merger of some leagues, not a few big clubs jumping on their own. I really can’t imagine they’d want to green light that, as what’s next, PSG in La Liga? Ajax heading for Germany? I could imagine they might back a British league, for all the teams involved, but it’s quite possible that just brings back the old debate about Britain not having 4 national teams...

Since90+2
22-04-2021, 07:48 AM
Clickbait nonsense from the Sun. They don't want, or more importantly need, the old firm in England.

Jim44
22-04-2021, 07:49 AM

I don’t think ‘letting’ comes in to it. Rangers and Celtic can presumably resign membership of the SPFL. They could then apply for membership for their second teams to enter the Scottish leagues at the appropriate level, with the proviso that players could not willy nilly flit from the British league to the Scottish league on a weekly basis. I don’t think the Scottish blazers would object to maintaining some involvement with the Uglies but I’m not sure they would feel the same.

lord bunberry
22-04-2021, 07:50 AM
More pie in the sky nonsense. Celtic and the huns wouldn’t add anything commercially to the premier league, the only beneficiaries of this would be the ugly sisters. Another article from the sun with no direct quotes that contradicts itself.

easty
22-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Seems negotiations have been on going with huns and sellik, I know it from the Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14723904/rangers-celtic-british-super-league-premier-league/

please let them go

I don't believe that's true at all.

Rangers and Celtc to join an 18 team league? So...4 EPL teams would have to drop out? Not likely.

CropleyWasGod
22-04-2021, 08:29 AM

Would still be the British cup, no? Britain, as an island, would still exist.

neil7908
22-04-2021, 08:31 AM
Laughable, cringe inducing article designed to appeal only to fans of the Ugly Sisters and make them think they are still relevant in the game, rather than admit the truth - they are also rans a mile away from the elite.

I loved the level of delusion in the below: "their inclusion would also see a spike in interest from fans across the world, sponsors and broadcasters."

Aye of course it would!

danhibees1875
22-04-2021, 08:32 AM

This is Eurovision all over again. :greengrin

Keith_M
22-04-2021, 08:34 AM
I'm sure I've read the same prediction about a hundred times over the last twenty years.

I'm surprised anybody's taking it seriously.

Keith_M
22-04-2021, 08:36 AM

No. 'Great' Britain is an island.

Did they teach you nothing at that private school of yours?

marinello59
22-04-2021, 08:37 AM
You don’t improve it by holding those teams against their will either, if that were even possible. These are just games of poker, you need to say publicly ‘don’t let the ****ing door hit your arse on the way oot’.

I don’t think ‘letting’ comes in to it. Rangers and Celtic can presumably resign membership of the SPFL. They could then apply for membership for their second teams to enter the Scottish leagues at the appropriate level, with the proviso that players could not willy nilly flit from the British league to the Scottish league on a weekly basis. I don’t think the Scottish blazers would object to maintaining some involvement with the Uglies but I’m not sure they would feel the same.

I really wish I hadn’t said ‘letting’. :greengrin

jacomo
22-04-2021, 08:38 AM
I don't believe that's true at all.

Rangers and Celtc to join an 18 team league? So...4 EPL teams would have to drop out? Not likely.

You’d think an editor would have picked up on the point that the article mentions both a reduced 18 team EPL and an expanded league with the Ugly Sisters.

Which is it then?

This is clearly just a desperate bit of PR by the Uglies trying to push their agenda.

danhibees1875
22-04-2021, 08:42 AM
The idea of not having Rangers and Celtic in the league is of course appealing, they're odious clubs.

The reality is that we'd probably be worse off for it though. Commercial and sponsorship income would take a hit and clubs would have to cut their cloth accordingly - arguably the standard would level out and you'd still have a good competitive game of football domestically. Although someone would raise to the top eventually, maybe to a lesser extent than the OF have.

Any lingering significance in Europe will be gone too. We're reaching a point where we (Hibs) can be excited by the prospect that with some investment, luck, and the new conference league we have a good crack at prolonged campaigns for the first time in decades. Without the OF I'm not sure where we'd end up in terms of coefficient based European spots on offer but with reduced budgets across the board we'd not have much chance of making our way through the tournaments.

I'd be on board for a British cup though. Every other year replacing the respective league cups for those seasons.

Since452
22-04-2021, 08:43 AM
I'd be all for it. The only stipulation being they both build stadia south of the border.

hibsbollah
22-04-2021, 08:49 AM
The idea of not having Rangers and Celtic in the league is of course appealing, they're odious clubs.

The reality is that we'd probably be worse off for it though. Commercial and sponsorship income would take a hit and clubs would have to cut their cloth accordingly - arguably the standard would level out and you'd still have a good competitive game of football domestically. Although someone would raise to the top eventually, maybe to a lesser extent than the OF have.

Any lingering significance in Europe will be gone too. We're reaching a point where we (Hibs) can be excited by the prospect that with some investment, luck, and the new conference league we have a good crack at prolonged campaigns for the first time in decades. Without the OF I'm not sure where we'd end up in terms of coefficient based European spots on offer but with reduced budgets across the board we'd not have much chance of making our way through the tournaments.

I'd be on board for a British cup though. Every other year replacing the respective league cups for those seasons.

Plod would never allow a British cup. Celtic-Linfield-Chelsea-Newcastle-Sunderland group stage would take some policing but at least there’d be something fun to watch on the news for a change.

PatHead
22-04-2021, 08:50 AM
Does anybody see the hypocrisy in this?

English clubs scream unfair as their biggest clubs want to do something by themselves but it is okay to take the two biggest clubs from another federation.

Says everything about all English clubs.

vercol36
22-04-2021, 08:53 AM
I'd be very worried that this would eventually be expanded, to allow the 5 or 6 best Scottish teams in. Which would essentially mean Hearts winning the Scottish Prem on a regular basis.

Since90+2
22-04-2021, 08:56 AM

English clubs scream unfair as their biggest clubs want to do something by themselves but it is okay to take the two biggest clubs from another federation.

If it was true it would be but it's most likely pish.

Keith_M
22-04-2021, 08:58 AM
I'd be all for it. The only stipulation being they both build stadia south of the border.

I'd be all for that.

They could build a shared stadium in Carlisle

Jones28
22-04-2021, 09:00 AM

They wouldn't be taking them, they have to wear a big ol' baseball glove to catch them they move so fast to join up.

**** Celtic and Rangers, they want to join some British super league where they get their ***** handed to them every week? See ya, we'll take the league title.

Imagine a revamped Premiership, 16 teams, keep the split and the relegation play-offs, with us, Hearts and Aberdeen slugging it out for the league, every so often Motherwell or St Johnston getting in on the act, much better competition, much better share of the prize pot and an almost total removal of sectarianism in one move.

They might even let us drink flat beer from a plastic cup at half time.

Jim44
22-04-2021, 09:03 AM

I'd be all for that.

........ Parkbrox ...... there’s a nice ring to that.:greengrin

Dmas
22-04-2021, 09:23 AM
If it was true it would be but it's most likely pish.

:agree:

id bet there was a fair amount of hand rubbing going on along the M8 early in the week at the prospect of the EPL being 6 teams short no doubt about it, those dreams are now in tatters days later its a last ditch PR stunt IMO

a British cup though I think that could have legs, scrap both league cups and compete cross border, rejig the scottish cup a little put the prem teams in earlier to play a couple rounds away from home like pokal in germany

Mick O'Rourke
22-04-2021, 09:49 AM
:agree:

id bet there was a fair amount of hand rubbing going on along the M8 early in the week at the prospect of the EPL being 6 teams short no doubt about it, those dreams are now in tatters days later its a last ditch PR stunt IMO

a British cup though I think that could have legs, scrap both league cups and compete cross border, rejig the scottish cup a little put the prem teams in earlier to play a couple rounds away from home like pokal in germany

A British Cup would also include teams from Wales and the North of Ireland i assume.
The top clubs in England would not be interested.
European Comps take up enough dates during the season.
They mostly dont play full strength teams in their League Cup as it is.

Celtic and Sevco are not needed in England.
Also too many downsides to them being in an English set up.

Sevco fans in particular would eventually do what they have done in the past.
Wreck city centres and terrorise folk.
Ask Manchester citizens and older Geordies
Newcastle city centre and the area around St James Park were wrecked after a Fairs Cup tie old rAngers lost many years ago .
I was in Newcastle the week after it and geordie friend said the city was like a war zone the day of the game.
Manchester suffered the same years later.
As have other English cities in the past.
Total mayhem, particularly if they lose.
No, England dont want them ..or need them.

Phil MaGlass
22-04-2021, 09:51 AM
A British Cup would also include teams from Wales and the North of Ireland i assume.
The top clubs in England would not be interested.
European Comps take up enough dates during the season.
They mostly dont play full strength teams in their League Cup as it is.

Celtic and Sevco are not needed in England
Also too many downsides to them being in an English set up

Sevco fans in particular would eventually do what they have done in the past.
Wreck city centres
Ask Manchester citizens and older Geordies
Newcastle city centre and the area around St James Park were wrecked after a Fairs Cup tie old rAngers lost many years ago .
I was in Newcastle the week after it and geordie friend said the city was like a war zone the day of the game.
Manchester suffered the same years later.
No, England dont want them ..or need them.

They might not want them or need them, but, as with the ESL, money talks, they would take a massive audience with them, money in the bank.

Mick O'Rourke
22-04-2021, 09:59 AM
They might not want them or need them, but, as with the ESL, money talks, they would take a massive audience with them, money in the bank.
Phil
Am nearly 70 now
Been reading this "Old Firm" to join an English setup for decades.
Oldcos last visit to Manchester firmly shut that door.

They dont want any more hordes invasions.
They likely pray in some cities not to be drawn against them in existing Euro competitions.

You plucked a "story" with no substance or sources.
The Sun does this"story" every couple of years.

Mick O'Rourke
22-04-2021, 10:01 AM
I'd be all for that.

What harm did the people of Carlisle do to you :greengrin

seanshow
22-04-2021, 10:12 AM
They can start in the ninth tier of english football, along side their colt teams :bye:

its been at least a couple of weeks without a weegie colts team proposition.

Bostonhibby
22-04-2021, 10:32 AM
Clickbait nonsense from the Sun. They don't want, or more importantly need, the old firm in England.Right on the money, they are protective of the brand image and don't have the same religion in football problem Scotland has so why would they want to lump that on top of the issues they do have?

I dont see the good citizens of Manchester, Birmingham and the like being too keen on a follow up visit from cowardly sevconian hordes either.

The EPL clubs don't need anything the uglies bring and as has been pointed out before theres nothing in this for existing members who might lose their place to them.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

weecounty hibby
22-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Never happening. The bigot twins are toxic and the English clubs, FA, League and polis don't want them anywhere near. Sadly we will need to put up with them

Baader
22-04-2021, 11:23 AM
Don't see it. I remember finding an old copy of that rag clearing out someone's house. Must've been from the late 90s. The back page confirmed Andy Cole would be joining Celtic "within the next week." Think this one can be added to that.

CloudSquall
22-04-2021, 11:36 AM
Given the behavour of Celtic and Rangers fans when they are "on tour" I can't imagine this having any support south of the border.

Vault Boy
22-04-2021, 11:48 AM
So having three Welsh teams in the EFL pyramid doesn't count as having a 'British' league, but adding two Scottish teams would make it so? Weird.

Steven79
22-04-2021, 11:51 AM
So having three Welsh teams in the EFL pyramid doesn't count as having a 'British' league, but adding two Scottish teams would make it so? Weird.

The Tories would have their paws in it at some level to stop the rising tide for "seperation"

Tony Blair had the same thought years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-41201279

KeithTheHibby
22-04-2021, 11:59 AM
That cockwomble slaver Jamie O'Hara was on Talksport this morning saying how the ugly sisters should just get propelled straight into the EPL whereas Alan Brazil said a move like this would kill scottish football.

McCoist didn't really say too much - probably because he knows its a complete non-starter.

AltheHibby
22-04-2021, 01:56 PM

This is why.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/explained-why-welsh-teams-play-in-the-english-premier-league/5ch7uidrrtr41a9rcl7ov7ten

Phil MaGlass
22-04-2021, 02:03 PM
Phil
Am nearly 70 now
Been reading this "Old Firm" to join an English setup for decades.
Oldcos last visit to Manchester firmly shut that door.

They dont want any more hordes invasions.
They likely pray in some cities not to be drawn against them in existing Euro competitions.

You plucked a "story" with no substance or sources.
The Sun does this"story" every couple of years.

It might have had more credibility if the super league had happened as they would have to fill a void.

Since452
22-04-2021, 02:09 PM
Clickbait nonsense from the Sun. They don't want, or more importantly need, the old firm in England.

That's the bottom line.

Vault Boy
22-04-2021, 02:45 PM
This is why.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/explained-why-welsh-teams-play-in-the-english-premier-league/5ch7uidrrtr41a9rcl7ov7ten

Cheers!

Stanton Spence
22-04-2021, 03:00 PM
They wouldn't be taking them, they have to wear a big ol' baseball glove to catch them they move so fast to join up.

**** Celtic and Rangers, they want to join some British super league where they get their ***** handed to them every week? See ya, we'll take the league title.

Imagine a revamped Premiership, 16 teams, keep the split and the relegation play-offs, with us, Hearts and Aberdeen slugging it out for the league, every so often Motherwell or St Johnston getting in on the act, much better competition, much better share of the prize pot and an almost total removal of sectarianism in one move.

They might even let us drink flat beer from a plastic cup at half time.It would no doubt make the league more competitive and we would all get a bigger share of the pot but without the two arse cheeks that pot wouldn't be worth sharing and every club would end up worse off financially. As much as I hate the pair of them it's only them that the TV companies etc are interested in

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
22-04-2021, 03:02 PM
Tempting as it is to say ‘good, don’t let the door hit you in the way out’, the reality is that Hibs could not survive in our current form if we stayed behind in what’s left of the SPFL. We would need to go as well. We simply could not afford the level of infrastructure we have on the reduced income.
Govt have a strong hand now and I can see pressure being applied by the Tories to make this happen in order to ‘save’ the union.
My preference is for an Atlantic league over joining the English league.
One thing is for sure, when Celtic pulled out of recent Atlantic league talks, it wasn’t because the had suddenly decided their future lay with the SPFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
22-04-2021, 03:04 PM

They might even let us drink flat beer from a plastic cup at half time.

Cheaper players than we can afford now, no training centre, academy paired back? We can’t afford what you are suggesting without downsizing the club.

22-04-2021, 03:05 PM

We've got Berwick so we've already got a British League too.

Jones28
22-04-2021, 03:16 PM
It would no doubt make the league more competitive and we would all get a bigger share of the pot but without the two arse cheeks that pot wouldn't be worth sharing and every club would end up worse off financially. As much as I hate the pair of them it's only them that the TV companies etc are interested in

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Cheaper players than we can afford now, no training centre, academy paired back? We can’t afford what you are suggesting without downsizing the club.

The Norwegian, Danish, Finish and Swedish leagues all seem to manage without having two behemoths dominating the domestic game year in year out. Even in England, while money talks the title is competitive year on year and has had multiple winners since the Premier League was formed.

Better access to European competition, at least one champions league spot for the winner and 2/3 other places for the other 2 competitions.

No doubt the Sky money is brought in by Celtic and Rangers, but the way media is consumed is different now. There are multiple platforms sharing the pie, not just one giant provider hoovering up the coverage available and having a monopoly on games. It's about how the game is marketed: right now its "HERES THE OLD FIRM + some other teams too sometimes", but there are alternatives to that.

WhileTheChief..
22-04-2021, 03:24 PM
So then we get to act like the Old Firm by dominating the league and being the big boys.

Motherwell and St J going to challenge us? Aye that’ll be right.

Winning a league without the Old Firm in it would be as hollow a victory as you could get.

Other than wins against Hearts, they’re my favourite games.

No way do I want to play in a league without them. We’d be as well going part time and being a Championship club if you just want to avoid playing the OF.

LancsHibs
22-04-2021, 03:44 PM
Serious Question. Where would they go when they are relegated? Would they then drop into the English second tier? Once they have gone we should not be expected to take them back.

SChibs
22-04-2021, 04:23 PM
I can see why both the teams would want to join the English set up. As much as I hate the pair they are huge clubs with huge fanbases and with access to the 00s of millions awarded down there they would have the opportunity to be extremely successful.

That being said teams similar size to Hibs and arguably smaller have helf their own in the EPL in recent years, Burnley and Bournemouth for example. On the flip side there have been a few sleeping giants in the championship recently

kaimendhibs
22-04-2021, 05:07 PM
As long as they go completely. No participation in our cups or 2nd teams in any of our leagues.[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jones28
22-04-2021, 05:11 PM
So then we get to act like the Old Firm by dominating the league and being the big boys.

Winning a league without the Old Firm in it would be as hollow a victory as you could get.

No way do I want to play in a league without them. We’d be as well going part time and being a Championship club if you just want to avoid playing the OF.

We will never see Hibs win the league in our lifetimes if they don’t **** off.

A hollow league win? As hollow as Hearts winning their respective league? What a load of *****.

DarlingtonHibee
22-04-2021, 05:47 PM
I'm sure I've read the same prediction about a hundred times over the last twenty years.

I'm surprised anybody's taking it seriously.

Police will never sanction it

Malthibby
22-04-2021, 06:07 PM

They are poison, always have been & I would love to see the back of them. They're forever hanging their erses out the window trying to attract interest from England,
just wish England was interested.
WakeyHibee on another thread has pointed out that we have averaged 5th place over the past 20 years (with St. Johnstone 6th) so I'm not sure I'd call a league win hollow.
What it would be was competitive.
GG

Carheenlea
22-04-2021, 06:23 PM
I don’t want to see the Old Firm depart Scottish Football.

They’re maybe not fun for all the family occasions, but I love a trip to Ibrox and Parkhead, and along with Tynecastle derbies the biggest away matches we have. Can’t beat a packed Easter Road when they visit either, and while we all know their flaws, Scottish Football would be a poorer product without them.

We can still hate them while accommodating them for our benefit.

Wakeyhibee
22-04-2021, 06:46 PM
They are poison, always have been & I would love to see the back of them. They're forever hanging their erses out the window trying to attract interest from England,
WakeyHibee on another thread has pointed out that we have averaged 5th place over the past 20 years (with St. Johnstone 6th) so I'm not sure I'd call a league win hollow.
GG

I did, but I also didnt enjoy any of our excursions in the championship regardless of winning most weeks.

If the OF go, then I hope ourselves and others capable do the same.

Staying put would still be a good competition but inevitably would see Hibs and others go backwards not forwards.

James Stephen
22-04-2021, 07:02 PM
Police will never sanction it

Why do people think the police would have any say? It wont happen for many reasons, but i dont see that as one.

marinello59
22-04-2021, 07:08 PM
GG

The League of Ireland is competitive which is the standard we would be headed towards without the Old Firm.

Andy74
22-04-2021, 07:13 PM
The League of Ireland is competitive which is the standard we would be headed towards without the Old Firm.

Not really. Shamrock Rovers for example get an average of just over 2,000 fans as reasonably regular champions.

Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen competing to win leagues would be getting 5 to 6 times that. Perhaps more. Certainly potential to be 10 times more.

marinello59
22-04-2021, 07:15 PM
Not really. Shamrock Rovers for example get an average of just over 2,000 fans as reasonably regular champions.

Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen competing to win leagues would be getting 5 to 6 times that. Perhaps more.

The TV money we currently get would be drastically slashed. We could argue about how far standards would slip but they would inevitably drop as we became a less attractive destination for the better players.

Andy74
22-04-2021, 07:20 PM
The TV money we currently get would be drastically slashed. We could argue about how far standards would slip but they would inevitably drop as we became a less attractive destination for the better players.

We aren’t going to drop attendances to 2 to 3k if the Old Firm leave. The TV deal would be less but there may actually be more fans keen to watch games that are actually at the business end of winning leagues. There are enough teams capable of either winning a league or getting relegated for it to be quite interesting.

Some kind of levelling off would be fine though. What are we getting just now with the here? Some more money from TV but minimal chance of being a meaningful part of a competition.

kaimendhibs
22-04-2021, 07:23 PM
We will never see Hibs win the league in our lifetimes if they don’t **** off.

A hollow league win? As hollow as Hearts winning their respective league? What a load of *****.[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
22-04-2021, 07:31 PM
We aren’t going to drop attendances to 2 to 3k if the Old Firm leave. The TV deal would be less but there may actually be more fans keen to watch games that are actually at the business end of winning leagues. There are enough teams capable of either winning a league or getting relegated for it to be quite interesting.

Some kind of levelling off would be fine though. What are we getting just now with the here? Some more money from TV but minimal chance of being a meaningful part of a competition.

We would have to down size considerably. I’m not worried though because I’m certain if they do go, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen would go with them.

Andy74
22-04-2021, 07:33 PM
We would have to down size considerably. I’m not worried though because I’m certain if they do go, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen would go with them.

A little. Why considerably? Most of our cash in is from fans rather than TV. I think the competition aspect can cancel out the TV and OF cash well enough without having to completely downsize.

hibee-boys
22-04-2021, 07:39 PM
Please please please make it happen so we can watch the ‘best fans in the world’ desert them in number whilst they battle it out for a championship play off place!

Ozyhibby
22-04-2021, 07:44 PM
A little. Why considerably? Most of our cash in is from fans rather than TV. I think the competition aspect can cancel out the TV and OF cash well enough without having to completely downsize.

Long term though, it’s the second best league in Scotland. Young kids are going to start being Celtic or Rangers fans in the top league and Hibs Hearts fans in the local league.

Andy74
22-04-2021, 07:46 PM
Long term though, it’s the second best league in Scotland. Young kids are going to start being Celtic or Rangers fans in the top league and Hibs Hearts fans in the local league.

Don’t think so but I’d be willing to see what happens!

Eyrie
22-04-2021, 08:00 PM

The bulk of the current prize money is hoovered up by the Ugly Sisters, so there's plenty of scope for a reduction in the total prize money without it affecting Scottish football. And we'd have a competitive league which will create interest of its own.

Sadly that won't happen because there is no reason for England or anywhere else to want the **censored** pair. We're stuck with them.

B.H.F.C
22-04-2021, 08:02 PM
GG

We don’t get rid of them though. We’d just not be playing against them. They’d still be here. They’d still dominate media coverage. Buses would still be leaving Edinburgh to go and watch them.

I don’t think it would kill the game. But I think the standard of the teams left would decline over time.

Ibrox is also my favourite away day.

Eyrie
22-04-2021, 08:03 PM
I'd be all for that.

Sounds good to me.

What harm did the people of Carlisle do to you :greengrin

My ex was from Carlisle :devil:

Ozyhibby
22-04-2021, 08:06 PM
The bulk of the current prize money is hoovered up by the Ugly Sisters, so there's plenty of scope for a reduction in the total prize money without it affecting Scottish football. And we'd have a competitive league which will create interest of its own.

Sadly that won't happen because there is no reason for England or anywhere else to want the **censored** pair. We're stuck with them.

The bulk? 23% to the top two teams. How much do you think the TV money drops? I personally think it drops a lot more than 23%.

neil7908
22-04-2021, 08:10 PM
The bulk? 23% to the top two teams. How much do you think the TV money drops? I personally think it drops a lot more than 23%.

TV money would be virtually non existent.

I'd still like to see them go though. It's not just their domination, it's all the baggage that comes with them as well.

I don't think our current model is sustainable as is, and I don't see anything else that will change. Both clubs will fight tooth and nail to protect their interests so action will need to come from an external source.

jgl07
22-04-2021, 09:37 PM
No. 'Great' Britain is an island.

Did they teach you nothing at that private school of yours?

Please explain how Britain differs from Great Britain?

ScottB
22-04-2021, 09:42 PM
Please explain how Britain differs from Great Britain?

Great Britain is the name of the island, Britain alone isn’t really anything. Could see it as shorthand for the island, or more of a political term.

22-04-2021, 10:36 PM
TV money would be virtually non existent.

I'd still like to see them go though. It's not just their domination, it's all the baggage that comes with them as well.

I don't think our current model is sustainable as is, and I don't see anything else that will change. Both clubs will fight tooth and nail to protect their interests so action will need to come from an external source.

Yes but we'd have a good chance of getting our hands on some of that lovely lovely Champions League money. Which is why they'd have to p*ss off completely, no 2nd teams playing in our league.

jgl07
22-04-2021, 10:40 PM
Great Britain is the name of the island, Britain alone isn’t really anything. Could see it as shorthand for the island, or more of a political term.

They are exactly the same then!

Like Yarmouth and Great Yarmouth?

Like Weston and Weston-super-Mare?

Like Bognor and Bognar Regis?

Hibernia&Alba
22-04-2021, 10:45 PM
Never happening. The bigot twins are toxic and the English clubs, FA, League and polis don't want them anywhere near. Sadly we will need to put up with them

Yes, The EPL and EFL has said many times it doesn't want or need the Old Firm. This idea comes up every year. Another proposal totally driven by the idea of making the rich richer.

Ozyhibby
22-04-2021, 11:00 PM
Yes but we'd have a good chance of getting our hands on some of that lovely lovely Champions League money. Which is why they'd have to p*ss off completely, no 2nd teams playing in our league.

You think our co-efficient after they leave will allow us anywhere near the champions league?[emoji23]

houstonhibbee
23-04-2021, 04:29 AM
Ok they’re both geographical terms
Great Britain is that large island that contains England Scotland and Wales
britain is short for the British isles which includes Great Britain and all the islands surrounding it
the political term is the United Kingdom which is England Scotland wales and Northern Ireland

danhibees1875
23-04-2021, 06:01 AM
You think our co-efficient after they leave will allow us anywhere near the champions league?[emoji23]

I think every country with a league gets a crack at the champions league to be fair.

chippy
23-04-2021, 07:19 AM
I agree with Ozy on this. If the Glasgow pair go then so should Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen. I have to say I’ve somewhat warmed to the conference model envisaged by UEFA in their Champions League plans( not the protected places though). I wonder if something of that type is what might be considered by the EPL, if there are any serious plans to include Scottish clubs.

Andy74
23-04-2021, 07:39 AM
I agree with Ozy on this. If the Glasgow pair go then so should Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen. I have to say I’ve somewhat warmed to the conference model envisaged by UEFA in their Champions League plans( not the protected places though). I wonder if something of that type is what might be considered by the EPL, if there are any serious plans to include Scottish clubs.

I'm surprised media wise there isn't the same sort of reaction that there was to the Super League proposal. Adding Celtic and Rangers would be a manipulation of the domestic game and cherry picking teams based on their size for financial reasons.

lord bunberry
23-04-2021, 08:00 AM
One of the conditions for letting the ugly sisters go would be a kickback every season. I think the current EPL deal gives clubs around £100m every season, both clubs being forced to send back 5% of whatever they get would more than offset the money we’d lose in a reduced tv deal. The uglies get what they want, the rest of us don’t lose out financially and we have a competitive league that could thrive without the baggage those two bring.

Dmas
23-04-2021, 08:07 AM
One of the conditions for letting the ugly sisters go would be a kickback every season. I think the current EPL deal gives clubs around £100m every season, both clubs being forced to send back 5% of whatever they get would more than offset the money we’d lose in a reduced tv deal. The uglies get what they want, the rest of us don’t lose out financially and we have a competitive league that could thrive without the baggage those two bring.

Great idea but it’s a guarantee for that 5% we end up with the colts teams they’ve been trying to force on us for years

Crunchie
23-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Excellent news, we dont want them.
Can't ever see it happening but personally I'd love to see both of them gone for good. How exciting would the league be every year? No guaranteed winner that's for sure.

Ozyhibby
23-04-2021, 08:39 AM

Would we have bargaining power to set conditions?

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-04-2021, 08:42 AM
I'd be all for that.

There's enough Weedgies down there already.

danhibees1875
23-04-2021, 09:24 AM

I don't see why we (SFA/SPFL) would.

As someone else said though, it could be balanced up against the colt teams being allowed to play. Overall, that'd just end up being a lot of change for not a lot of change...

chippy
23-04-2021, 09:39 AM
Can't ever see it happening but personally I'd love to see both of them gone for good. How exciting would the league be every year? No guaranteed winner that's for sure.

The worst scenario is letting them go on their own and their B teams remaining in Scotland. Let’s have a proper merger/ re structure and if they go I want Hibs to go too and have our B team in the Scottish league. Can’t see Hibs , Hearts, Dons, Arabs etc agreeing to anything else.

AgentDaleCooper
23-04-2021, 09:42 AM
IMO either merge the two league pyramids or keep things as they are, anything else is a money grabbing,indefensible nonsense by anyone involved.

lord bunberry
23-04-2021, 10:10 AM

They’d need permission to leave. UEFA wouldn’t allow teams to leave without the blessing of their governing body.

lord bunberry
23-04-2021, 10:13 AM
Great idea but it’s a guarantee for that 5% we end up with the colts teams they’ve been trying to force on us for years
They’re absolutely desperate to join the EPL, I doubt colt teams would be a deal breaker for them. I’m sure if we stuck to our guns we’d get what we wanted.

weecounty hibby
23-04-2021, 10:19 AM
They’re absolutely desperate to join the EPL, I doubt colt teams would be a deal breaker for them. I’m sure if we stuck to our guns we’d get what we wanted.

I'm sure that they are desperate to join the epl. Unfortunately for them that the epl aren't really desperate to have them. Also can you imagine the uproar from the other 72 league teams if the bigots were somehow parachuted in above them, not to mention the other members of the football league in their system. Not ever going to happen.

lord bunberry
23-04-2021, 12:31 PM
I'm sure that they are desperate to join the epl. Unfortunately for them that the epl aren't really desperate to have them. Also can you imagine the uproar from the other 72 league teams if the bigots were somehow parachuted in above them, not to mention the other members of the football league in their system. Not ever going to happen.
I totally agree, I don’t think it will happen. I was talking hypothetically.

chippy
24-04-2021, 06:13 AM
If there is anything of substance in the so called plans for Rangers and Celtic joining a reformed EPL im in a quandary as to what are Hibs best options. A lot would depend on whether this is simply a poaching of the OF or an integration of spfl and EPL and EFL. If it meant Hibs in a 2nd or 3rd tier to begin with, would we thrive or wither? Would we attract bigger investment? If we stayed in Scotland though we would definitely be in with winning tourneys regularly. Would the quality of player suffer too much or would we be more or less where we are now. How would fans of ours and the OF react over time. There does seem a lot of disenchantment top level football, money, salaries, etc. I could envisage a scenario where we are in a tight fight for the league and cups and now and again running away with it I could see us packing Easter Road in those circumstances. Then there is regular European football too. Although I’m one of the guys who have supported Atlantic league ideas before I’m swaying toward staying put in the spfl. How will OF fans react? Would we pick up some of those who don’t fancy the EPL? Mind you would Ron Gordon stay with us or sell up? What is swaying me somewhat is the under current of disenchantment among traditional fans. It could be that the OF make an historic error in going to England whilst the spfl is seen as real football.
Having said all that it’s probably all crap written by Murdochs rag

Bangkok Hibby
24-04-2021, 06:24 AM
If there is anything of substance in the so called plans for Rangers and Celtic joining a reformed EPL im in a quandary as to what are Hibs best options. A lot would depend on whether this is simply a poaching of the OF or an integration of spfl and EPL and EFL. If it meant Hibs in a 2nd or 3rd tier to begin with, would we thrive or wither? Would we attract bigger investment? If we stayed in Scotland though we would definitely be in with winning tourneys regularly. Would the quality of player suffer too much or would we be more or less where we are now. How would fans of ours and the OF react over time. There does seem a lot of disenchantment top level football, money, salaries, etc. I could envisage a scenario where we are in a tight fight for the league and cups and now and again running away with it I could see us packing Easter Road in those circumstances. Then there is regular European football too. Although I’m one of the guys who have supported Atlantic league ideas before I’m swaying toward staying put in the spfl. How will OF fans react? Would we pick up some of those who don’t fancy the EPL? Mind you would Ron Gordon stay with us or sell up? What is swaying me somewhat is the under current of disenchantment among traditional fans. It could be that the OF make an historic error in going to England whilst the spfl is seen as real football.
Having said all that it’s probably all crap written by Murdochs rag

You could have just posted your last sentence.

Phil MaGlass
24-04-2021, 07:50 AM

Isnt the 5% mandatory, then they wouldnt have a leg to stand on for the colts.
If they go, NO COLTS. They go, good f,n riddance and thanks for the 5%.
I do not wish to see anything associated with the blight that is sectarianism in Scottish fitba.

The Baldmans Comb
24-04-2021, 08:01 AM
Scotland does have an overblown arrogance that England would even want these 2 teams but as always this arrogance belies a deep insecurity that you just dont find in other countries.😥

Denmark has pride in their football league and don't want to dismantle it and move the very top clubs to Germany.😥

Netherlands are exactly the same as Ajax or PSV or Feyenoord arent looking to move unilaterally to England or France.😥

Same with Portugal and moving Porto and Benfica to Spain. Its not even discussed.

They might consider moving their complete leagues and forming a Scandinavian League, Atlantic League or Benelux League but its very much as a uniform structure and not cherry picking 2 individual teams.

Thats so many Scottish people's mindset for you though continually conceding influence, control and ultimately power to England as they are so insecure and unsure of themselves.😥

It really is the strangest place and I can think of no country in the world remotely comparable.🤔

gbhibby
24-04-2021, 08:06 AM
They could have a UK league Cup. Both league Cup comps when it gets to the semi finals stage on both sides of the border the four teams from both nations go into a draw becoming the quarter final of the UK league Cup. Games played to a finish. The final would be played at Hampden one year Wembley the following year.
Have spoken to some English football fans about this and they all would love to see this.

marinello59
24-04-2021, 08:13 AM
They could have a UK league Cup. Both league Cup comps when it gets to the semi finals stage on both sides of the border the four teams from both nations go into a draw becoming the quarter final of the UK league Cup. Games played to a finish. The final would be played at Hampden one year Wembley the following year.

I do like the idea but the top teams in England put out seriously weakened teams already in their domestic cup competitions. They are seen as a distraction from the league and Europe so I’m not so sure there would be any appetite for this. We would be back in Anglo-Scottish Cup territory. There would be some great away trips though. :greengrin

superfurryhibby
24-04-2021, 08:21 AM
Scotland does have an overblown arrogance that England would even want these 2 teams but as always this arrogance belies a deep insecurity that you just dont find in other countries.��

Denmark has pride in their football league and don't want to dismantle it and move the very top clubs to Germany.��

Netherlands are exactly the same as Ajax or PSV or Feyenoord arent looking to move unilaterally to England or France.��

Same with Portugal and moving Porto and Benfica to Spain. Its not even discussed.

They might consider moving their complete leagues and forming a Scandinavian League, Atlantic League or Benelux League but its very much as a uniform structure and not cherry picking 2 individual teams.

Thats so many Scottish people's mindset for you though continually conceding influence, control and ultimately power to England as they are so insecure and unsure of themselves.��

It really is the strangest place and I can think of no country in the world remotely comparable.��

Supporters of the old firm in no way speak for Scottish football, never mind the people of Scotland and I think you are stretching the analogy between football and politics to the point of ridiculousness , particularly at a time when people are about to elect a pro- independence party into government for the 4th election in succession.

gbhibby
24-04-2021, 08:25 AM
I do like the idea but the top teams in England put out seriously weakened teams already in their domestic cup competitions. They are seen as a distraction from the league and Europe so I’m not so sure there would be any appetite for this. We would be back in Anglo-Scottish Cup territory. There would be some great away trips though. :greengrin
Agree that could be an issue but the rules of the competition could have some sort of stipulation that you must play at least 80% of your registered first team squad at this stage of the competition.

A Hi-Bee
24-04-2021, 09:18 AM
From the bbc this morning

David Moyes believes the failure of the breakaway European Super League (ESL) provides an opportunity to consider a unified British competition instead.
The Premier League's 'big six' all withdrew (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56823501) from the ESL on Tuesday following resistance to the plans.
However, Moyes believes league reform is still needed and suggested a Premier League II - which includes Rangers and Celtic - could be an option.
"Change is needed in some way," said the West Ham boss.
"I think the Premier League has a brilliant product, I really do, but at the top clubs you're talking about too many games, so could we have Premier League I and Premier League II?
"Could we have a situation where we do invite Rangers and Celtic to Premier League II? Why can we not unite the UK? Why do we have to be England and Scotland and not unite it?
"Why can it not be a pyramid that allows teams in the Scottish leagues to get into Premier League II? In fact, I think actually more money would filter down if Rangers and Celtic could be given an opportunity to come in."
Moyes also believes that such a reform could also help alleviate packed fixture schedules that many clubs competing in numerous competitions are having to contend with.
The Scot added: "Why not try and make what we have got something new and maybe take a few less teams, maybe two out of the Premier League and put in Premier League II, and we have a few extra weeks.
"The big clubs have got such a big programme, and I can only see with the new programmes them getting so many more games, and it is getting too tough to play too many games."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56865597

:flag::flag::flag:

LancashireHibby
25-04-2021, 08:44 PM
Scotland does have an overblown arrogance that England would even want these 2 teams but as always this arrogance belies a deep insecurity that you just dont find in other countries.😥

Denmark has pride in their football league and don't want to dismantle it and move the very top clubs to Germany.😥

Netherlands are exactly the same as Ajax or PSV or Feyenoord arent looking to move unilaterally to England or France.😥

Thats so many Scottish people's mindset for you though continually conceding influence, control and ultimately power to England as they are so insecure and unsure of themselves.😥

It really is the strangest place and I can think of no country in the world remotely comparable.🤔
Although I don’t necessarily disagree with your post, aren’t the Dutch and Belgian leagues looking likely to merge?