PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Livingston 22 04 21)

Jonnyboy
21-04-2021, 09:02 PM
I’ll be honest and admit that my pre match nerves were more evident today than they have been in a while. It was probably because there was so much at stake, given the desire to finish third in the league and deny Aberdeen that opportunity. As it turned out, my nerves disappeared during a scintillating first half display by the men in green and white but by the time the final whistle blew, they’d been shredded again.

Following on from that good cup win at Stranraer, Jack Ross made three changes to his starting eleven with Rocky back in goals whilst Gogic replaced Magennis and Stevenson, in his 506th game for the club filling the left wingback slot due to the injury absence of Josh Doig.

From the off, Hibs were on the front foot and it only took until the eighth minute for them to break the deadlock. Paul McGinn took in a pass around twenty yards out and cut infield before reversing his run and picking out Martin Boyle on the right side of the box. The Hibs No. 10 might have considered having a shot at goal but opted instead to pick out Kevin Nisbet who stroked the ball home from close range.

Hibs were bossing possession and the Livi players looked at times as though they were chasing shadows, resorting on occasion to fouling the Hibs man in possession. On one such occasion, Joe Newell was dragged down by Jason Holt as he looked to race free into the Livi half. Needless to say, Martin Boyle received his fair share of illegal challenges too but he is so high in confidence just now he just shrugs them off and sets about tormenting defenders again.

Shortly after Holt’s booking, Boyle took the ball in and spun away from two challenges before racing into the box where he was upended by Efe Ambrose. A clear penalty which Boyle himself sent crashing into the net, sending Stryjek the wrong way.

Hibs were winning the midfield battle and Livi resorted to sending high balls in the direction of Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, but the big striker was getting little or no change from Ryan Porteous who won the vast majority of headers against him. Corners from Boyle were causing some angst for the Livi defenders and when they failed to clear their lines both Hanlon and Boyle had shots charged down inside the box.

Around seven minutes from the break, Stevenson sent a fine ball down the line to Nisbet who cut inside his marker to send in a low shot that Stryjek saved low to his left. Next, McGinn picked out Nisbet who flicked a header towards Doidge but although the big fella reached the ball, he couldn’t get any pace in his shot. Christian had another chance soon after but again Stryjek was up to the task. At the other end, Rocky was having a quiet afternoon as Livi’s efforts were mainly from range and usually cleared the crossbar by some distance.

When half time arrived, I was more than happy with what I’d seen, even though I had a slight concern that we’d only scored twice in a half we had dominated from the start. I expect head coach David Martindale had a lot to say to his players at half time and that, together with a slight change in personnel and set up saw Hibs lose control of the game for large swathes of time in the second half. For me, withdrawing Emmanuel-Thomas from his central striker role and playing him wide on the right meant that the big guy became far more influential in the game. He’s huge but was very mobile and obviously hard to knock off the ball.

Livi started to boss the game and we just couldn’t keep possession of the ball for any length of time. Sibbald saw a decent chance blocked at the last minute by Hanlon before Hibs did create something of a chance but Nisbet’s effort didn’t trouble Stryjek. We were beyond the hour mark before Rocky had a save of any note to make, denying Sibbald with an easy take. The visitors were throwing everything at Hibs and piled as many men forward as possible when in possession. Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle were no longer getting the service and Hibs looked a bit bedraggled at times. A fantastic low cross by Devlin saw substitute Poplatnik arrive at the back post but his effort flew wide of the post.

After Guthrie and Forrest had efforts blocked, Jack Ross replaced Doidge with Drey Wright in an effort to try and get back into the midfield battle. It seemed at times as though it was Gogic -v- Livi with the Hibs man getting in numerous blocks and winning key battles in the air but with five minutes left, newly introduced Kyle Magennis who had replaced Joe Newell, took a bad touch in the box and in stretching to recover he brought down Emmanuel-Thomas the big Livi man taking the spot kick himself and sending Rocky the wrong way.

A nervy end to the game was a certainty and Livi just kept coming at Hibs but to be fair, Rocky faced very few efforts on goal during that period. When we got the ball, we headed for the corner flag to try and run down the clock, Jackson Irvine doing a good job of that on a couple of occasions. Needless to say, Livi were taking chances leaving space at the back and twice Kevin Nisbet had the chance to punish them. The first saw him race away on a pass from Gogic but the keeper narrowed the angle and Kev’s weak shot rolled beyond the far post. The second was a better chance when he muscled a Livi defender off the ball and strode in on goal but Stryjek had read the move and denied Nisbet the chance.

A game of two halves if ever there was one and as I finish writing this up, I hear that Leigh Griffiths has equalised at Pittodrie with an injury time goal. Gotta love the laddie!!

The players

Marciano – Despite all the second half pressure, Rocky was hardly troubled by Livi and only really the penalty could beat him.

McGinn – Paul’s pass to Boyler in the lead up to the opening goal was a peach. Perfect pace and placement. It irritates me how many times passes (not from Paul in particular) arrive behind the recipient.

Porteous – Ryan was majestic in the first half when Emmanuel-Thomas hardly got a sniff but there were a couple of times in the second half when his thinking clouded over, and he slashed at the ball.

Hanlon – Solid as a rock in the first half but under the cosh in the second. Having said that about Paul and indeed Ryan, the fact that Rocky was so well protected you could argue they were doing their job.

Boyle – Totally unplayable in that first half. Livi just couldn’t live with his pace as he roasted whoever was marking him at any given time. Another goal and assist for Boyler who has hit form at just the right time.

Gogic – Bringing him back into the starting eleven was a good call and for ninety minutes he never stopped – tackling, harrying, carrying and passing were all top notch and though Boyler got the goal and assist I’m giving my man of the match award to Alex who was a colossus in that difficult second half.

Newell – Joe is great at taking and giving the ball in a controlled manner. He is also excellent at getting himself out of tight spots due to his ball control.

Irvine – I just wish Jackson would get a goal as he’s spurned a fair few chances in recent weeks. Really came into his own late in the game as we set about running the clock down.

Stevenson – Lewis made his 506th first team appearance today and was as solid as a rock throughout.

Nisbet – Another goal for Kev and he might have had more with a bit of luck. His ability to spin in behind is undervalued by many, I think.

Doidge - No goals for Christian today but he put in his usual shift, defending brilliantly at corners and free kicks.

Wright – Brought on to help stiffen the midfield he did a reasonable job, despite taking a painful kick to the calf shortly after he came on.

Magennis – What an introduction to the game. First touch a shocker; second touch a penalty.

Jack Ross – I expect he loved the first half and hated the second – I know I did.

Referee – Craig Napier did OK although I think he was a bit heavy with yellow cards in what was never a dirty game.

21-04-2021, 09:12 PM
Thanks JB, spot on as ever.

kaimendhibs
21-04-2021, 09:14 PM
Good summary again. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

marinello59
21-04-2021, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the summary, excellent.
Boyle was my man of the match but Gogic is a more than decent call as well.

Greenbeard
21-04-2021, 09:33 PM
100% agree Gogic MoM. Slowed them down so often and several times was back in position to cover for Hanlon or Porto after they had ventured forward.
Too many times (again) I was yelling FFS Hanlon cut out the overly optimistic 50-60 yard passes. A 1/10 success rate just gives possession away.

jgl07
21-04-2021, 09:38 PM
I would love to be able to reply to this, always excellent thread. However because for some reason the mobile site is now coming up with the desktop site which is totally unreadable on an iphone.

What the hell has happened?

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2021, 09:40 PM
👍🏿

Brilliant Jonnyboy

3pm
21-04-2021, 09:55 PM
100% agree Gogic MoM. Slowed them down so often and several times was back in position to cover for Hanlon or Porto after they had ventured forward.
Too many times (again) I was yelling FFS Hanlon cut out the overly optimistic 50-60 yard passes. A 1/10 success rate just gives possession away.

Thought Hanlon was great in the 2nd half.

CyberSauzee
21-04-2021, 10:16 PM

Agreed, and overall the defending at set pieces has improved.

Greenbeard
21-04-2021, 10:41 PM
Certainly better 2nd half after cutting out the attempts at the miracle passes.

Franck Stanton
21-04-2021, 10:47 PM
Slightly off topic, but has Leigh Griffiths ever scored a more important goal for Hibs?

The Harp Awakes
21-04-2021, 11:39 PM
Spot on JB. Gogic was easily MOM as he was very good all game.

For me this game summed up Hibs' season. Absolutely brilliant in the 1st half and abysmal in the 2nd half. It reminded me of the St Johnstone LC semi final.

Thankfully we have forward players who the opposition can't live with when they are at it.

Phil MaGlass
22-04-2021, 05:49 AM
great read, beating St.J should see us take 3rd.

Jay
22-04-2021, 07:53 AM
Gogic my man of the match too J. A big win for us but a great first half to watch too.

number9dream
22-04-2021, 08:10 AM
Gogic put in a tremendous shift. He was all over the park and even led a couple of counter-attacks in either half.
Boyle and Newell were great in the first half and Nisbet was full of beans after his goal until the break.
Hallberg might have been a better sub for closing the game down but we got away with it for a vital three points.
Magennis needs to hit the reset button over the summer and we'll see what kind of player we have there.
Would you take big JET at Hibs? Some lovely touches and obvious power. He seems to have improved as the rest of the Livi team have regressed.

Greenbeard
22-04-2021, 08:18 AM
Gogic put in a tremendous shift. He was all over the park and even led a couple of counter-attacks in either half.
Boyle and Newell were great in the first half and Nisbet was full of beans after his goal until the break.
Hallberg might have been a better sub for closing the game down but we got away with it for a vital three points.
Magennis needs to hit the reset button over the summer and we'll see what kind of player we have there.
Would you take big JET at Hibs? Some lovely touches and obvious power. He seems to have improved as the rest of the Livi team have regressed.
Dunno much about him but big JET looked good, not for the first time. Thought he was like a combo of Nisbet and Doidge.

147lothian
22-04-2021, 08:31 AM
As always a joy to read Jonnyboy

BroxburnHibee
22-04-2021, 08:40 AM
Thanks JC :not worth

nonshinyfinish
22-04-2021, 09:39 AM
I would love to be able to reply to this, always excellent thread. However because for some reason the mobile site is now coming up with the desktop site which is totally unreadable on an iphone.

What the hell has happened?

Scroll right down to the bottom of the page, at the bottom left you should see a dropdown box containing the text "-- hibs.net vb4". Tap on that and choose hibs.net Lite.

You should also check your browser settings as you may have accidentally told it to request the desktop site.

hibby6270
22-04-2021, 09:51 AM
Great report as usual Jonnyboy
Gogic was a revelation. Best game for us so far!!
Leads me to think - Marvin who?

brog
22-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Can't disagree with anything there John, fine report as always. Like you however I'm beginning to be a bit concerned about Jackson Irvine. I think he's potentially a fine player, he always impressed me when he played against us but he's been very hit & miss so far. I find his decision making a bit strange at times, he seems to me to often look for a difficult option when an easy (& good) pass is on. I admire his confidence in trying to be creative & he works his socks off but he loses possession too often for me. I'm sure a goal would do him wonders, hopefully on Saturday!

Shrekko
22-04-2021, 10:03 AM
Gogic has been tremendous for a long time now and it's good to see he's getting more credit now. Maybe it's more noticeable when he misses a game and comes back?

He did have a ropey few weeks early in the season when it looked like his passing wasn't up to scratch, but he's actually turned out better than I thought he'd be to start with. Total key player.

hhibs
22-04-2021, 10:50 AM
Dunno much about him but big JET looked good, not for the first time. Thought he was like a combo of Nisbet and Doidge.

I wonder what his contract situation is ?

He has looked good in most games I have seen him in this season and could certainly offer us something useful especially with the increased number of games we are likely to play next season

Bostonhibby
22-04-2021, 11:01 AM
Thanks JB, had Hibs radio coverage and thought Gogic sounded brilliant, borne out by my mate who isn't his greatest fan but had tv coverage and had him as his man of the match too.

I think the guys what we've needed for a while.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Brightside
22-04-2021, 11:11 AM
I wonder what his contract situation is ?

He has looked good in most games I have seen him in this season and could certainly offer us something useful especially with the increased number of games we are likely to play next season

We used to try and sign him every year when Lennon was here.

jacomo
22-04-2021, 01:57 PM
Can't disagree with anything there John, fine report as always. Like you however I'm beginning to be a bit concerned about Jackson Irvine. I think he's potentially a fine player, he always impressed me when he played against us but he's been very hit & miss so far. I find his decision making a bit strange at times, he seems to me to often look for a difficult option when an easy (& good) pass is on. I admire his confidence in trying to be creative & he works his socks off but he loses possession too often for me. I'm sure a goal would do him wonders, hopefully on Saturday!

I’m a big fan but he doesn’t look 100% fit to me... might explain why he’s trying to force it a bit instead of taking things more naturally.

My hope is that he signs a long term contract and we see the best of him next season.

Unseen work
22-04-2021, 02:25 PM
I really like Jackson Irvine and his vision and ability to execute the pass has really impressed me.

I’m happy for him to take a bit of risk and occasionally lose possession. I think he’s got a great understanding with Boyle and finds him more than anyone else in the team which is vital.

brog
22-04-2021, 08:58 PM
I’m a big fan but he doesn’t look 100% fit to me... might explain why he’s trying to force it a bit instead of taking things more naturally.

My hope is that he signs a long term contract and we see the best of him next season.

Quite possibly, certainly seems to be trying too hard at times. I like him though & would be happy to see him on a decent contract.

Seveno
23-04-2021, 11:59 AM
I was torn between Boyle and Gogic for the MotM but decided to give it to Leigh Griffiths.

ancient hibee
23-04-2021, 12:44 PM
Quite possibly, certainly seems to be trying too hard at times. I like him though & would be happy to see him on a decent contract.
#
Must admit I don't see it with Irvine. Poor at looking after the ball and poor at getting it back. Poor in front of goal and absent in defence.The odd good pass isn't enough I don't think.

h1bs4life
23-04-2021, 08:26 PM
I was torn between Boyle and Gogic for the MotM but decided to give it to Leigh Griffiths.

:top marks

Stonewall
23-04-2021, 10:36 PM
#
Must admit I don't see it with Irvine. Poor at looking after the ball and poor at getting it back. Poor in front of goal and absent in defence.The odd good pass isn't enough I don't think.

is that also a description of Scott Allan?

Allant1981
24-04-2021, 06:12 AM

Except Scott Allan isn't poor in front of goal and actually defends quite a fair bit

ancient hibee
24-04-2021, 09:33 AM
I

Not if you know anything about football.

Brightside
24-04-2021, 10:40 AM
Irvine has played at a higher level than Allan. There must be some reason for that.

oneone73
24-04-2021, 10:42 AM
Is second-tier Hull a higher level than Hibs? Or Celtc for that matter?

Brightside
24-04-2021, 11:02 AM
Is second-tier Hull a higher level than Hibs? Or Celtc for that matter?

Yes. He also went to Hull for just under £2m. Scott Allan has been a cracking player (especially for Hibs) but Jackson has a better pedigree a d has played at a higher level.

Allant1981
24-04-2021, 11:05 AM
Irvine has played at a higher level than Allan. There must be some reason for that.

Higher level doesn't necessarily mean better player though, kamberi for example has played at a higher level than nisbet, I know who I would rather have

oneone73
24-04-2021, 11:11 AM
Yes. He also went to Hull for just under £2m. Scott Allan has been a cracking player (especially for Hibs) but Jackson has a better pedigree a d has played at a higher level.
He's played at no higher a level than Joe Newell. Sorry, but I don't think struggling against relegation in England's second tier is anything to be proud of. Ask Newell if he agrees.

Brightside
24-04-2021, 11:13 AM
Higher level doesn't necessarily mean better player though, kamberi for example has played at a higher level than nisbet, I know who I would rather have

Right now you’d rather have Irvine than Allan. To say otherwise is based on memories and not current form.

Allant1981
24-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Right now you’d rather have Irvine than Allan. To say otherwise is based on memories and not current form.

Based on form I wouldnt actually have Irvine either, not quite sure what he was brought in to do, if it was to score goals then he has failed, not sure off the top of my head how many assists he has but dont think that many so not a huge impact there, he isn't a defensive midfielder either so don't really get his role. That wasn't really my point though initially

Brightside
24-04-2021, 01:53 PM
Based on form I wouldnt actually have Irvine either, not quite sure what he was brought in to do, if it was to score goals then he has failed, not sure off the top of my head how many assists he has but dont think that many so not a huge impact there, he isn't a defensive midfielder either so don't really get his role. That wasn't really my point though initially

I think he keeps the game moving for us. Creates a few chances. For me he’s be a good signing.

JimBHibees
24-04-2021, 02:13 PM
I think he keeps the game moving for us. Creates a few chances. For me he’s be a good signing.

Definitely is good creative player and will only get bettter. Think he could do with a goal to give him a boost of confidence.

O'Rourke3
25-04-2021, 08:30 AM
Definitely is good creative player and will only get bettter. Think he could do with a goal to give him a boost of confidence.If we go back far enough there will be many similar comments about Scott in that first season. He needed ages to get both his fitness and his passing back.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk