PDA

View Full Version : European super league

Pages : [1] 2 3

AliboyFC
18-04-2021, 09:07 PM
Absolute joke of a league that will ruin football. Should the big 6 premier league clubs be punished for joining this league?

Hibrandenburg
18-04-2021, 09:11 PM
Bring it on, hope Rangers and Celtic get to join and the rest of us can get on with our lives. The Champions League doesn't interest me in the slightest so I can't see me taking any interest in a super league.

Nicho87
18-04-2021, 09:18 PM
Thing that annoys me about sky breaking the news etc asking Keane and Richards the questions on their views.

If this did go ahead these idiots would be paying through the nose for the coverage since they’ve lost the champions league.

I can’t help but find it rather amusing not for the fans of course. But sky and their daft money they pumped into England have played a massive part in the downfall off football imo.

hibsbollah
18-04-2021, 09:20 PM
It’s a MK dons Wimbledon scenario.

AliboyFC
18-04-2021, 09:33 PM
Thing that annoys me about sky breaking the news etc asking Keane and Richards the questions on their views.

If this did go ahead these idiots would be paying through the nose for the coverage since they’ve lost the champions league.

I can’t help but find it rather amusing not for the fans of course. But sky and their daft money they pumped into England have played a massive part in the downfall off football imo.

I agree. ****ing hate sky tbh.

18-04-2021, 09:35 PM
Is this a breakaway thread?

green day
18-04-2021, 09:36 PM
Is this a breakaway thread?
People's Front of Judea

Pretty Boy
18-04-2021, 09:42 PM
I wonder if the supporters groups speaking out about this will have the courage of their convictions and stop attending games. I daresay the teams involved could sell out their stadiums to tourists every week and the TV deal would make fans from Manchester, Turin or London surplus to requirements. It might just focus a few minds though.

I remember a few years ago the Man Utd fans had a pretty sustained period of boycotting official merchandise and wearing green and gold rather than red to games in protest at the Glazers ownership. It seemed to die away quite quickly after on field performance picked up though. A Champions League win will do that.

My gut instinct is a lot of fans would start out with the best of intentions but would gradually drift back and support their club in whatever format they played in. Largely because I think they would realise the clubs don't need them and will plough ahead regardless, is a Man City fan who has become accustomed to sustained success in recent years going to start watching a fan led start up in the National League?

WeeRussell
18-04-2021, 09:43 PM
People's Front of Judea

Alright, bag of otters noses then. While I watch this thread unfold.

WeeRussell
18-04-2021, 09:44 PM

You’re not wrong - but unfortunately it’s sky that have the best guys and platform to speak out about this.

hibsbollah
18-04-2021, 09:46 PM
Liew spot on as usual

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/18/only-someone-who-truly-hates-football-can-be-behind-a-european-super-league

Ozyhibby
18-04-2021, 09:46 PM
I wonder if the supporters groups speaking out about this will have the courage of their convictions and stop attending games. I daresay the teams involved could sell out their stadiums to tourists every week and the TV deal would make fans from Manchester, Turin or London surplus to requirements. It might just focus a few minds though.

I remember a few years ago the Man Utd fans had a pretty sustained period of boycotting official merchandise and wearing green and gold rather than red to games in protest at the Glazers ownership. It seemed to die away quite quickly after on field performance picked up though. A Champions League win will do that.

My gut instinct is a lot of fans would start out with the best of intentions but would gradually drift back and support their club in whatever format they played in. Largely because I think they would realise the clubs don't need them and will plough ahead regardless, is a Man City fan who has become accustomed to sustained success in recent years going to start watching a fan led start up in the National League?

Fans will swallow any old nonsense the clubs tell them. First week of games in a new comp would be played in front of sold out stadiums. A massive marketing campaign will convince the fans that this is exactly what they’ve always wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DH1875
18-04-2021, 10:00 PM
So the breakaway 15 is now a breakaway 12 (no PSG, Bayern, Dortmund). What I don't get is why England get 6 teams and Italy and Spain only get 3 each.

Greencore
18-04-2021, 10:01 PM
When are we joining it?

DH1875
18-04-2021, 10:04 PM
North London Derby to find out who finishes 12th every year. I'm sure the fans will love it.

Tobias Funke
18-04-2021, 10:28 PM
They can all F off as far as I’m concerned.

cannastar
18-04-2021, 10:36 PM
boy on sky saying all founding clubs to get 3.5 billion euros to see them allright.

Hibernia&Alba
18-04-2021, 10:37 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12279674/man-utd-liverpool-chelsea-arsenal-man-city-and-tottenham-agree-to-join-european-super-league

mayo hibee
18-04-2021, 10:38 PM
Just read the format there. It sounds ***** to be honest. Two groups of 10 in a league format. Every other team playing off for the chance to be one of five teams that get to join the mighty 15 (which somehow includes Tottenham) in their competition. Let them off if that's what they want to do - but suspend them from domestic and European competition effective immediately.

Leicester for the premier league again?!

Callum_62
18-04-2021, 10:42 PM
boy on sky saying all founding clubs to get 3.5 billion euros to see them allright.*In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Magpie
18-04-2021, 10:46 PM
Just read the format there. It sounds ***** to be honest. Two groups of 10 in a league format. Every other team playing off for the chance to be one of five teams that get to join the mighty 15 (which somehow includes Tottenham) in their competition. Let them off if that's what they want to do - but suspend them from domestic and European competition effective immediately.

Leicester for the premier league again?!

The founder clubs seem to be made up of the richest clubs in the world, Spurs recently listed in the top 10 I believe, the rich trying to get richer it seems.

Col2
So assuming this replaces the champions league given its a midweek competition that would mean in reality no Scottish club could qualify or realistically be invited to play in the elite European competition.

The press release suggests two groups ten and play home and away so that’s a minimum 18 games versus minimum 6 if in CL group stage. A run to the final would result in 22 games in new format versus 12 in current CL. For a club like say Chelsea who have fairly regularly got to quarter finals that’s an additional 10 midweek games.

That would either mean much bigger squads and would certainly put the final nail in domestic cup competitions. As a minimum it would dilute the domestic league, I mean who cares if you win the title when you get min £350m for playing in super euro league.

Arsenal and Spurs are not even in the CL just now. Spurs have won about 1 trophy in 30 years. Liverpool are meant to be a club for the people. It’s a total disgrace.

Glad to see Bayern, Dortmund and PSG not agreeing to join. German fans have much more influence.

Callum_62
The founder clubs seem to be made up of the richest clubs in the world, Spurs recently listed in the top 10 I believe, the rich trying to get richer it seems.With an immediate 3.5billion euros each

Mental

Lancs Harp
18-04-2021, 10:48 PM
This European Cup malarkey has gone down hill since real clubs got to the likes of the semi finals :wink:

Keyser Sauzee
18-04-2021, 10:49 PM
With an immediate 3.5billion euros each

Mental

Surely it would be 3.5bn split between the clubs rather than 3.5bn each?

Magpie
18-04-2021, 10:50 PM
Would the PL actually ban the six sides from competing in the league though? Surely that would probably wipe out a huge amount of their global audience and sponsors?

Callum_62
18-04-2021, 10:50 PM
Surely it would be 3.5bn split between the clubs rather than 3.5bn each?*In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic.

Could be taken both ways I guess

Ozyhibby
18-04-2021, 10:54 PM
So assuming this replaces the champions league given its a midweek competition that would mean in reality no Scottish club could qualify or realistically be invited to play in the elite European competition.

The press release suggests two groups ten and play home and away so that’s a minimum 18 games versus minimum 6 if in CL group stage. A run to the final would result in 22 games in new format versus 12 in current CL. For a club like say Chelsea who have fairly regularly got to quarter finals that’s an additional 10 midweek games.

That would either mean much bigger squads and would certainly put the final nail in domestic cup competitions. As a minimum it would dilute the domestic league, I mean who cares if you win the title when you get min £350m for playing in super euro league.

Arsenal and Spurs are not even in the CL just now. Spurs have won about 1 trophy in 30 years. Liverpool are meant to be a club for the people. It’s a total disgrace.

Glad to see Bayern, Dortmund and PSG not agreeing to join. German fans have much more influence.

PSG are only not there because Qatar are worried about their World Cup.

Hibernia&Alba
18-04-2021, 10:56 PM
Would the PL actually ban the six sides from competing in the league though? Surely that would probably wipe out a huge amount of their global audience and sponsors?

They have said they will, as have La Liga and Serie A in a joint statement.

Ozyhibby
18-04-2021, 10:56 PM

If uefa suspend them, then the EPL would have no choice surely? Besides, the EPL will be finished if this gets a foothold. They need to back the current structure.

mayo hibee
18-04-2021, 11:01 PM
Any suspension effective from next season at the earliest I'd imagine. They're hardly just going to chuck them out six games from the end of the season.

Potential issues for the likes of Robertson and Tierney (if fit) for Euro 2020?

BegbieHSC
18-04-2021, 11:01 PM
Can’t believe the ‘big team’ across the city aren’t one of the founding 12. Surely they could have replaced Barcelona??

mayo hibee
18-04-2021, 11:02 PM
Can’t believe the ‘big team’ across the city aren’t one of the founding 12. Surely they could have replaced Barcelona??

I presume they're one of the three still to join.

highland hibbee
18-04-2021, 11:06 PM
When are we joining it?

im assuming that Chelsea are one of the so called Big 6.

aye that’ll be the same Chelsea who ignored the opportunity to take part in the first European Cup.

However the Famous Edinburgh Hibees were a bit more forward thinking

CMac1988
18-04-2021, 11:08 PM
Any suspension effective from next season at the earliest I'd imagine. They're hardly just going to chuck them out six games from the end of the season.

Yup. McTominay also. England squad would look a hell of a lot different.

Let's see if FIFA, UEFA and the FA have got the balls to follow through on their threats.

Ozyhibby
18-04-2021, 11:09 PM

If you are serious then you suspend them immediately? The only way to win now is go nuclear.

FilipinoHibs
This won't fly because of the domestic and international bans. Only fans outside Europe would want it where they have no real roots in any teams.

Vault Boy
"Scottish football>>>anything else now" from Ethan Laidlaw on Twitter.

Maybe he won't be heading south after all. :greengrin

Ozyhibby
18-04-2021, 11:11 PM
"Scottish football>>>anything else now" from Ethan Laidlaw on Twitter.

Maybe he won't be heading south after all. :greengrin

There are two Scottish team who will be desperate for one of the remaining 8 spots in this league.

18-04-2021, 11:12 PM
https://thesuperleague.com/

boke

Torto7
18-04-2021, 11:13 PM
None of this goes ahead if the players have any balls. Have any of them spoke out against it?

Ozyhibby
18-04-2021, 11:14 PM
None of this goes ahead if the players have any balls. Have any of them spoke out against it?

The players will go where the money is.

ekhibee
18-04-2021, 11:16 PM
The likes of Bale would have to decide whether he wants to make even more than he does just now and sacrifice his position in the Welsh team, as I understand that the players who play in this would not be allowed to play for their national team. That's what they were saying on MOTD anyway. Those 6 English teams have shown their true colours as far as I can see, they don't care about the league, the FA cup or even the Champion's League, they just want more money. In a way I'm glad, now everybody can see what the real priorities of these clubs are.

Callum_62
18-04-2021, 11:20 PM
https://twitter.com/backagain/status/1383893062967988225?s=19

18-04-2021, 11:23 PM
I wonder if any of these clubs consulted their fans.

Diclonius
18-04-2021, 11:25 PM
Guess I need a new European team now that Inter have sold their soul. Any recommendations?

WeeRussell
18-04-2021, 11:25 PM
Guess I need a new European team now that Inter have sold their soul. Any recommendations?

Hibs 😎

18-04-2021, 11:26 PM
Fifa statement released.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fifa-statement-european-super-league-23937623

Magpie
18-04-2021, 11:28 PM
Apparently the clubs involved in the UCL and EL could be kicked out with immediate effect meaning PSG will be crowned as winners of the UCL and the EL final will be Villarreal v Roma.

I will be surprised if it came to that but that’s the word going around at the moment as UEFA apparently get ready to sanction the teams involved.

ErinGoBraghHFC
18-04-2021, 11:28 PM
Always loved man utd since I was a wee boy, had the strips every year etc. No more though, never buy a ticket for old Trafford again and the club have lost at least one loyal customer for this. Sure I'm not the only one. Hibs and Scotland have always taken priority and I could be doing with the extra 150 quid nearly for Man Utd merchandise I spend a year. Drop in the ocean for them of course, matter of principle though.

Vault Boy
18-04-2021, 11:31 PM
Champions League and Europa League temporarily cancelled.

Vault Boy
18-04-2021, 11:37 PM
https://twitter.com/jmcginn7/status/1383925609076695048?s=19

John McGinn is probably my favourite human being.

18-04-2021, 11:41 PM
These clubs are going to blame it on the pandemic and say they had no choice due to the massive losses they've incurred because of it, or some guff like that.

Greencore
18-04-2021, 11:43 PM
Never been interested in the champions league or English football. Would rather watch a Dundee Derby over a London Derby. Am I mental? Yep.

18-04-2021, 11:43 PM
Champions League and Europa League temporarily cancelled.

Talk Sport have just said that's just a rumour doing the rounds but it isn't the case.

WeeRussell
18-04-2021, 11:46 PM
Talk Sport have just said that's just a rumour doing the rounds but it isn't the case.

Whatever it is has been enough for the bookies to take the competitions out of their markets

18-04-2021, 11:46 PM
Whatever it is has been enough for the bookies to take the competitions out of their markets

They said this guy is reliable with his info.

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1383927881110228994?s=20

Vault Boy
18-04-2021, 11:47 PM

Cheers, looks like a few have jumped the gun on that one.

Lancs Harp
18-04-2021, 11:54 PM
English entrants

UAE City
Liverpool Beatles
Melchester Rovers
North London ArseSpurs
Moscow Chelsea
Manchester RedDevils

WeeRussell
19-04-2021, 12:01 AM
They said this guy is reliable with his info.

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1383927881110228994?s=20

Aye I trusted it on your first post mate, just thought it was interesting the markets vanished. Maybe was earlier and down to the uncertainty of what’ll happen as opposed to a reaction of suspension rumours!

Vault Boy
19-04-2021, 12:05 AM
Aye I trusted it on your first post mate, just thought it was interesting the markets vanished. Maybe was earlier and down to the uncertainty of what’ll happen as opposed to a reaction of suspension rumours!

UEFA conducting meetings now with the outcome a few hours away apparently, so the rumours of cancellation might end up being true - but obviously those saying it's already official are off the mark. Wonder what stories we'll be waking up to.

Magpie
19-04-2021, 12:06 AM
Florentino Perez, chairman of The Super League:

“If the players participating in the European Super League are banned from playing the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, we will create our own World Cup tournament. It is not a big deal.”

Del Boy
19-04-2021, 12:13 AM

“If the players participating in the European Super League are banned from playing the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, we will create our own World Cup tournament. It is not a big deal.”

I thought April fools day was 1st April?

matty_f
19-04-2021, 12:23 AM
I hope UEFA and their domestic leagues hammer them, greedy pricks that they are.

19-04-2021, 12:28 AM

He sounds like a power crazed maniac that wants to go head to head with Fifa and Uefa.

He's also come out with "We will help football at every level" and talks about "substantially increasing solidarity". Is anybody buying that? I doubt it.

WeeRussell
19-04-2021, 12:30 AM
I’m not usually one for calling for thread maintenance but probably worth these two being merged or keeping it to the original.

Found myself flicking into both every time, and have a feeling things will be busy on the thread/s tomorrow 😳

Paul1642
19-04-2021, 12:48 AM

That makes little zero in reality. 20 teams cannot possibly provide any meaningful international pool of players. Whilst you could perhaps make an England, Spain and Italy squad and perhaps a few others from the teams proposed, you cannot make most other international teams. Instead you end up with a dozen or so players of certain nationality’s (perhaps all from similar playing positions) unable to play for their own FA or form a new international team as Perez suggests.

Even if they could the appeal of current international football is that you see all the top players who otherwise never cross paths play each other, and a few wildcards from leagues you know nothing about. That factor is gone if they are all in one league.

On a separate point I wonder if this does go ahead if it would raise the possibility of a British League being created.

I hope it fails and brings down the financial greed of the current game with it (fat chance).

I hated the new proposals for the champions league so at least this might knock out than plan out. UEFA and FIFA need to go nuclear here as not give an inch. Allowing this to happen really is the death of our game as we know it and the final nail in fans being cared about.

ErinGoBraghHFC
19-04-2021, 12:51 AM
On a separate point I wonder if this does go ahead if it would raise the possibility of a British League being created.
Never. Opens the door to Team GB. Will NEVER be accepted by the fans in 3 of the 4 home nations.

Baader
19-04-2021, 12:55 AM
Disgraceful stuff and the teams involved should be absolutely hammered for this. Of course, it's no coincidence that most of them are heavily in debt. The whole episode is a slight and embarrassment on the game we love.

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2021, 12:56 AM
When are we joining it?

Never. It's a closed shop and invitation only. No guaranteed qualification.

I wonder if any of these clubs consulted their fans.

No, presented as a fait accompli.

Paul1642
19-04-2021, 12:59 AM
I read somewhere earlier that the current English TV deal only has a year to run. This creates a very high chance in the next deal being at a much reduced price which could defiantly put a lot of the remaining English teams in deep trouble.

Paul1642
19-04-2021, 01:05 AM
Also who are the other 3 clubs!l? Lots of rumours but nothing confirmed. I really hope the Germans stay out of it.

Magpie
19-04-2021, 01:31 AM
Also who are the other 3 clubs!l? Lots of rumours but nothing confirmed. I really hope the Germans stay out of it.

Bayern, Leipzig and Porto I have seen mentioned.

ErinGoBraghHFC
19-04-2021, 01:36 AM
Bayern, Leipzig and Porto I have seen mentioned.

Can't see Porto tbh... The other clubs are huge and have truly world wide support bases, can't see Porto in the company of them. Bayern and Leipzig leaving the bundesliga would make it a better league imo, **** both of them

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2021, 01:43 AM
Bayern, along with Dortmund and PSG have already declined the offer to join.

hibsbollah
19-04-2021, 05:14 AM
https://thesuperleague.com/

boke

‘Solidarity’

Oh
My sides

Since452
19-04-2021, 05:43 AM
Enjoying watching the fallout. Makes absolutely no difference to me or my team but hilarious watching everyone in England spitting feathers. Greed finally biting them on the arse.

bingo70
19-04-2021, 05:49 AM
Enjoying watching the fallout. Makes absolutely no difference to me or my team but hilarious watching everyone in England spitting feathers. Greed finally biting them on the arse.

Totally agree.

Might affect us in Europe next season though.

We could win the bloody thing now 😂

Scorrie
19-04-2021, 05:51 AM

My understanding is that no German clubs will join given their ownership models where fans own 51%

Since452
19-04-2021, 06:04 AM
A least we won't have to listen to English pundits call the EPL the best league in the world anymore. They'll probably turn it around to Britians top league or something now.

Pagan Hibernia
19-04-2021, 06:10 AM
the contempt these s****bag clubs have for their own histories is extraordinary.

Real Madrid 13 times EC/CL winners including the first 5 in the competition’s history.
Liverpool 6 times Champions of Europe
Manchester United first English team to enter it (against the wishes of the authorities it must be said) and lost 8 players trying to win it

spurs...

anyway, the fact they are all willing to ditch that competition as if it means nothing to them speaks volumes

Bishop Hibee
19-04-2021, 06:10 AM

I think they’ve just not joined yet rather than declined. Sitting on the fence. Leipzig were created as a money making venture in the first place.

bingo70
19-04-2021, 06:12 AM
I think this implosion of the top elite level football is absolutely fantastic and has been a long time coming.

I know it’s very popular but I’ve had absolutely zero interest in champions league football the last 4 or 5 years and the Premiership has been heading the same way. Something big needed to happen, hopefully this is it.

My preference would be for thes big clubs to get kicked out the premier league, the European super league to die on its arse and sky/BT to withdraw their ridiculous TV deals.

Let clubs find their own identity and start again from scratch.

Wont happen I know but I love the idea of it.

Yorkshire HFC
19-04-2021, 06:17 AM
Never. Opens the door to Team GB. Will NEVER be accepted by the fans in 3 of the 4 home nations.

I think it's more likely that Celtic and Rangers will form a league with the top teams from Holland, France, Germany etc. And with all the sponsors and tv companies.

And where will that leave Scottish football?

theonlywayisup
19-04-2021, 06:17 AM
Was going to set up a poll to gauge views (I think I know the answer), but don't want to start a new thread.

Can Admins add some poll questions to this thread - simple question "in favour - yes or no".

In my view, I agree with many have said. I enjoy watching the Champions League, as teams do have to excel in their own leagues first. If it's the same old teams every season, then I would rather watch paint dry.

Pretty Boy
19-04-2021, 06:21 AM
Anyone who supports this in any way shape or form isn't a football fan. If UEFA back down and make the CL a closed shop or even guarantee certain clubs entry whilst leaving some places open to qualification then they are as bad and will just be facilitating the next 'super' league in 5 or 10 years when the greedy picks want more.

Gatecrasher
19-04-2021, 06:23 AM
So i have barely seen any positive comments about this, whats the difference between this and the Atlantic league as there was some support for that? To me they are both the same, money grabbing owners who don't care about the fans.

green day
19-04-2021, 06:32 AM
Their intention is to run this concurrently with continuing to compete in the domestic leagues which gives an indication of the end game.

i.e. some fudge with UEFA to adjust the "Champions League" in order to alter the entry criteria / prize money to ensure the richest clubs remain rich*

Whatever the outcome, if it does not continue to be based notionally on qualification, the top European prize will be devalued even more.

*Should be pointed out that these clubs are not actually rich - most, if not all of them are in deep financial trouble - Barcelona are $1bn in debt. They are a bit like our banks in the financial crisis - deemed too big to fail.

hibsbollah
19-04-2021, 06:36 AM
So i have barely seen any positive comments about this, whats the difference between this and the Atlantic league as there was some support for that? To me they are both the same, money grabbing owners who don't care about the fans.

The absence of any relegation element. And the threat it poses to the non 20 clubs. That’s the clincher for me and why I’ll never watch it. It’s not sport.

Gatecrasher
19-04-2021, 06:43 AM
The absence of any relegation element. And the threat it poses to the non 20 clubs. That’s the clincher for me and why I’ll never watch it. It’s not sport.

so its still rips the main income source out of scottish football and basically kills the premier league but because the clubs can be relegated from the Atlantic league its ok?

GloryGlory
19-04-2021, 06:45 AM
UEFA conducting meetings now with the outcome a few hours away apparently, so the rumours of cancellation might end up being true - but obviously those saying it's already official are off the mark. Wonder what stories we'll be waking up to.

So basically it will get harder and harder for clubs from smaller countries to put together any sort of European run, as I imagine UEFA will bend over backwards to give the bigger clubs and leagues a much bigger slice of the cake and give more places in competitions to the bigger leagues, with clubs from smaller leagues losing out.

It also occurs to me that if, big if, the Super League goes ahead there will be a lot of clubs kacking it in England in case the EPL loses out on sponsorship and TV money, leaving them with high debt and financially exposed.

GloryGlory
19-04-2021, 06:48 AM
Their intention is to run this concurrently with continuing to compete in the domestic leagues which gives an indication of the end game.

i.e. some fudge with UEFA to adjust the "Champions League" in order to alter the entry criteria / prize money to ensure the richest clubs remain rich*

Whatever the outcome, if it does not continue to be based notionally on qualification, the top European prize will be devalued even more.

*Should be pointed out that these clubs are not actually rich - most, if not all of them are in deep financial trouble - Barcelona are $1bn in debt. They are a bit like our banks in the financial crisis - deemed too big to fail.

I think UEFA will find a "compromise" with the clubs and bigger leagues that gives more CL places to them at the expense of smaller leagues' champions being excluded completely from the competition and having to play in the Europa and the Challenge league.

marinello59
19-04-2021, 06:50 AM
I think UEFA will find a "compromise" with the clubs and bigger leagues that gives more CL places to them at the expense of smaller leagues' champions being excluded completely from the competition and having to play in the Europa and the Challenge league.

That’s exactly what is going to happen. I doubt Scottish clubs will be involved in the Champions League once that grubby deal has been done.

The Baldmans Comb
19-04-2021, 06:52 AM
I wonder though can guess which TV company is behind all this as you don't have a European Super Duper league without guaranteed subscription TV money on a nod and a wink.

Interesting dilema for armchair football fans who may vehemently oppose this idea but who also subscribe to sports TV channels.

After all the £3.5billion isn't just coming from fresh air.

I dont think it will succeed but it will force UEFA to give even more concessions to the major clubs.

They were already talking about "wildcards" into the Champions League and you can see that being extended to include "permanent members" and eventually this concept of a super league will win by default.

GloryGlory
19-04-2021, 06:53 AM
I think they’ve just not joined yet rather than declined. Sitting on the fence. Leipzig were created as a money making venture in the first place.

Yes - a lot of these clubs are already the playthings of billionaires. You can see a situation developing where the league becomes a franchise similar to the NFL, with the clubs able to be bought and sold and moved lock, stock and barrel at the whim of owners, who treat them as just another commodity to be traded.

jacomo
19-04-2021, 06:55 AM

Good point. Man Utd loaded with debt, Arsenal too.

**** bag owners don’t care about the game at all, just feathering their own nests.

mayo hibee
19-04-2021, 06:56 AM
You know I posted last night that this would have no bearing on Hibs or Scottish football whatsoever, but thinking about it again this morning...

These 12 or 15 clubs/franchises are franchises that are used to winning (well, maybe not in Spurs case, but anyway). If they go ahead with this they're not going to want to find themselves suddenly at the bottom of whatever nonsense competition they're setting up. Someone has to come last and that needs to be someone else. But that probably won't be an issue because they are going to invite five or eight more teams in to make up the numbers, throw these teams a few quid to be down the bottom of the league, be on the wrong end of regular hammerings and just take whatever crumbs they can get that fall off the table.

For that they're going to need to find some teams that are big names and consider themselves "big clubs" but are actually fairly *****. Clubs that currently consider themselves to be big fish in a small pond and are just looking for any way out of the league they're currently in. Clubs that claim to represent a community or a cause but are actually just soulless businesses that would be delighted to take whatever few crumbs they're thrown. This might actually have a significant impact on Scottish football when it all plays out.

green day
19-04-2021, 06:58 AM

Almost certainly.

As to the proposal, a guy on the radio suggested that JP Morgan have backed this and are guaranteeing them $350m each per season..............but clearly this needs to be paid for in some way (including vast amounts of interest I imagine).

I imagine that this will be some form of PPV for these matches - I really struggle with where the audience share will be for this competition at those sort of numbers tbqh.

All of which points to a compromise which shafts everyone else - result :rolleyes::rolleyes:

green day
19-04-2021, 07:00 AM

**** bag owners don’t care about the game at all, just feathering their own nests.

https://i.imgur.com/9hZcAEx.png

Kato
19-04-2021, 07:05 AM

https://twitter.com/dannykellywords/status/1383961736521216000/photo/1

DH1875
19-04-2021, 07:10 AM
You know I posted last night that this would have no bearing on Hibs or Scottish football whatsoever, but thinking about it again this morning...

These 12 or 15 clubs/franchises are franchises that are used to winning (well, maybe not in Spurs case, but anyway). If they go ahead with this they're not going to want to find themselves suddenly at the bottom of whatever nonsense competition they're setting up. Someone has to come last and that needs to be someone else. But that probably won't be an issue because they are going to invite five or eight more teams in to make up the numbers, throw these teams a few quid to be down the bottom of the league, be on the wrong end of regular hammerings and just take whatever crumbs they can get that fall off the table.

For that they're going to need to find some teams that are big names and consider themselves "big clubs" but are actually fairly *****. Clubs that currently consider themselves to be big fish in a small pond and are just looking for any way out of the league they're currently in. Clubs that claim to represent a community or a cause but are actually just soulless businesses that would be delighted to take whatever few crumbs they're thrown. This might actually have a significant impact on Scottish football when it all plays out.

Their not gonna come last but....their all not gonna win it. Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs will become no marks and will never win it. The English clubs need to be careful because giving Real and Barca extra millions each and trying to compete with then in a league system might not be that great an idea.
As for inviting teams to play each year, plenty clubs around. Valencia, Seville, Roma, Napoli, Lazio, Porto, Benfica, Ajax, Everton to name but a few.

Bristolhibby
19-04-2021, 07:10 AM
So the breakaway 15 is now a breakaway 12 (no PSG, Bayern, Dortmund). What I don't get is why England get 6 teams and Italy and Spain only get 3 each.

$

DH1875
19-04-2021, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure how this effects us as we are never gonna be part of it. Do wonder how fans of clubs like Valencia, Sevilla, Roma, Lazio, Everton, Newcastle, Leeds etc....look at it as it's the end of the dream for them.

flash
19-04-2021, 07:19 AM

They aren't quite the same but, as you rightly say, they are both purely to make people money.

jacomo
19-04-2021, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure how this effects us as we are never gonna be part of it. Do wonder how fans of clubs like Valencia, Sevilla, Roma, Lazio, Everton, Newcastle, Leeds etc....look at it as it's the end of the dream for them.

Absolutely it affects us. The aim seems to be a closed shop where the elite grab an ever bigger slice of the pie and there is no way in for the likes of us.

Any new set up will be pushed down our throats as fans are converted into consumers - and that will include heavy marketing in Edinburgh.

Where will the next generation of Hibs fans come from? It’s bad enough seeing folk walking about town in OF replica tops as it is... this would be on another level.

bingo70
19-04-2021, 07:30 AM
Absolutely it affects us. The aim seems to be a closed shop where the elite grab an ever bigger slice of the pie and there is no way in for the likes of us.

Any new set up will be pushed down our throats as fans are converted into consumers - and that will include heavy marketing in Edinburgh.

Where will the next generation of Hibs fans come from? It’s bad enough seeing folk walking about town in OF replica tops as it is... this would be on another level.

Early indications are that the supporters down south are dead against this though.

Marketed properly Scottish football could be presented as a real alternative to the nonsense on offer at the top table. Try and tap into the huge market that has no interest in what is being put on offer. I think this creates an opportunity for Scottish football, unfortunately I don’t have any faith in the people leading our game to see it that way.

Hypothetically speaking, if it was Hibs that was involved in all this I think I would probably start taking a much bigger interest in amateur and junior football. Same principles apply here I think.

easty
19-04-2021, 07:32 AM

I’m not so sure.

Kids still support Hibs in Edinburgh now. That’s with English football and Champions league football being advertised all the time.

The elite will get an even bigger slice of the pie, but it’s not a pie we ever get to taste anyway. We’ve never been at that party.

It’s all greed, but I honestly don’t thin it’ll change much for me. I’ll still watch Hibs like I always have. I’ll still watch other football on the telly.

hibsbollah
19-04-2021, 07:37 AM
so its still rips the main income source out of scottish football and basically kills the premier league but because the clubs can be relegated from the Atlantic league its ok?

I haven’t read as much about the Atlantic league proposals. I’m hesitant to say whether it’s ‘ok’ or not. The Super League would operate at a whole other level and changes the whole football environment, for all competitions. As well as Hibs I also follow ligue 1 a lot and international football, I remember my first World Cup before I’d even seen Hibs play, neither of these things would survive the super league proposals. I doubt the Atlantic league would have that impact.

Billy Whizz
19-04-2021, 07:42 AM
It it goes through, when is it due to start?

AgentDaleCooper
19-04-2021, 07:48 AM
When the next financial crisis hits, watching this bank-owned ****show crumble will be utterly hilarious

Diclonius
19-04-2021, 07:49 AM

I will be unsubscribing from any sports channel that shows it.

mayo hibee
19-04-2021, 07:50 AM
The idea of the Atlantic League was to group teams from weaker leagues into a single league to try to close the gap a bit on the major European leagues and level the playing field at least a little bit. This super league thing is just the richest of the rich trying to make themselves even richer.

Regardless of personal views on the Atlantic League I'm surprised anyone is even trying to make the comparison to be honest.

Pagan Hibernia
19-04-2021, 07:50 AM

august

JeMeSouviens
19-04-2021, 07:51 AM

The Atlantic league idea is an attempt by big clubs in small countries to bridge the financial gap so they can compete with clubs from the big countries.

The Super league is an attempt by big clubs in big countries to create a permanent gap to everyone else so they only have to compete with each other.

Pagan Hibernia
19-04-2021, 07:51 AM

I will be unsubscribing from any sports channel that shows it.

Oh really? When I read august in the statement I assumed it meant this year

matty_f
19-04-2021, 07:58 AM
This will kill domestic football in the counties involved. It’s already very difficult for clubs to compete with the richest clubs, this just makes the gap insurmountable.

hibee-boys
19-04-2021, 08:00 AM
This is a non starter, the money men and sponsors will pull out when they see the uproar this will cause around the football world.

Andy74
19-04-2021, 08:00 AM
I’m not so sure.

Kids still support Hibs in Edinburgh now. That’s with English football and Champions league football being advertised all the time.

The elite will get an even bigger slice of the pie, but it’s not a pie we ever get to taste anyway. We’ve never been at that party.

It’s all greed, but I honestly don’t thin it’ll change much for me. I’ll still watch Hibs like I always have. I’ll still watch other football on the telly.

Yeah I can't get too excited about hating this either. The game changed a long time ago at the top and this is just a continuation. The Champions League had become nothing like the European cup of old and was largely a closed shop with new proposals set to make that worse anyway.

Pretty Boy
19-04-2021, 08:02 AM
It's quite interesting looking at the social media platforms of the clubs involved. Fans from the locality are near universal in their condemnation of these plans. On the other hand the extended fan bases, particularly those in Africa and the far east, seem broadly supportive and excited by the plans. They have even managed to twist this to say it makes football 'more competitive'. I don't think that's entirely unexpected, fans rooted in a community will always be more passionate about their history and heritage than someone who supports a team thousands of miles from home with no obvious connection to either the club or the community the club is situated in.

I think the clubs and the financial backers of the league will have anticipated this as well. The extended global support bases are largely driven by glory hunting. There's a reason why Real Madrid sell hundreds of millions of pound worth of merchandise worldwide and Rayo Vallecano don't. They will already have a good idea of what TV deals are going to be on offer from around the world and will have budgeted accordingly. I daresay Sky and BT will drop their moral objections and get involved in the bidding for the UK rights as and when it becomes an issue. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this is the start of PPV football where certain games incur an additional charge over and above a subscription payment.

The objections of local fans will be challenged as of now. There will be a deluge of propoganda, emotional blackmail and hype to sell this as 'what you have always wanted and just didn't know it'. It's easy for me to sit here now and say if Hibs got involved in some kind of closed shop I would walk away and support Edinburgh City or Spartans. After a few weeks of emotive marketing talking about the Leith sunshine spreading across Europe and the world? I might feel a bit differently. I hope the fans down south and across Europe stick to their guns. Unfortunately I just don't believe the football without fans is nothing line holds true anymore at that level. With the figures being talked about the stadiums could lie empty every week with a piped in atmosphere and it wouldn't make a significant difference. They wouldn't lie empty anyway, if everyone in Liverpool boycotted then Anfield would still be packed with tourists and people there for the 'experience'. The sanitised nature of it might even appeal to people traditionally resistant to the tribal nature of football. If the league has global appeal then the people of Salford, Openshaw or Finsbury Park don't matter in the slightest. They are expendable.

Pagan Hibernia
19-04-2021, 08:02 AM
This is a non starter, the money men and sponsors will pull out when they see the uproar this will cause around the football world.

i really hope you’re right but I’m doubtful

chippy
19-04-2021, 08:03 AM
I wonder how thought through the super league proposaIs are? The clubs involved intend to have a closed shop of course but could their own domestic leagues become part of the closed shop? The big 5 leagues make up a 20 club super league, but then they have 5 feeder leagues: EPL, Series A, La liga, Lihue 1, Bundesliga. They close the relegation trapdoor of their domestic leagues permanently and perhaps reduce the domestic league size to 16. I suspect that would change a lot of folks minds in these 5 Countries. It would scoop up most of the finance. This is why folks have discussed something like an Atlantic League because countries like ours, scandics, Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Central and Easterm Europe would have to reorganise

hibee-boys
19-04-2021, 08:05 AM
Glorified exhibition games every year, shame on all the clubs involved. It’ll never come to fruition but if it does I hope games authorities have the balls to follow through on the threat around removing them from national leagues etc and would watch how the fans/players/sponsors leave in their droves.

green day
19-04-2021, 08:06 AM
This will kill domestic football in the counties involved. It’s already very difficult for clubs to compete with the richest clubs, this just makes the gap insurmountable.

At the very least, I hope it makes some people in England sit up and take notice.

Many of them have sat back and laughed at our "tinpot" league while clubs in backwater towns down there hoover up vast sums of TV money to artificially make their league look "the greatest in the world".

Its absolutely no different to when the EPL broke away all those years ago - its all about the ££££££

easty
19-04-2021, 08:10 AM
I wonder how thought through the super league proposaIs are? The clubs involved intend to have a closed shop of course but could their own domestic leagues become part of the closed shop? The big 5 leagues make up a 20 club super league, but then they have 5 feeder leagues: EPL, Series A, La liga, Lihue 1, Bundesliga. They close the relegation trapdoor of their domestic leagues permanently and perhaps reduce the domestic league size to 16. I suspect that would change a lot of folks minds in these 5 Countries. It would scoop up most of the finance. This is why folks have discussed something like an Atlantic League because countries like ours, scandics, Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Central and Easterm Europe would have to reorganise

I don’t really think the “Atlantic League” is in any way comparable to the new Euro Super League.

The reason the ESL is an option is because it’ll involve the worlds best players so demand to see it will always be there, regardless of anyone’s disgust about greed.

The Atlantic League would be made up of teams and players that the majority of folk just couldn’t care less about.

GreenCastle
19-04-2021, 08:11 AM
Don’t forget the EPL was set up in 1992 as a breakaway from English football league to gain more money and better TV deals...

The irony of fans in England complaining about this is pretty funny to see.

Agree with post earlier it won’t affect Hibs much at all - Old Firm probably more concerned as the gap grows further and they won’t get anywhere in Europe.

Also remember the English teams are still competing for the EPL - I think fans think they are leaving the EPL to play Europe super league only - just a more lucrative Champions League which guarantees the richer clubs always have guaranteed income - rather than stressing if they make the top 4 !

AgentDaleCooper
19-04-2021, 08:12 AM
Don’t forget the EPL was set up in 1992 as a breakaway from English football league to gain more money and better TV deals...

Agree with post earlier it won’t affect Hibs much at all - Old Firm probably more concerned as the gap grows further and they won’t get anywhere in Europe.

Also remember the English teams are still competing for the EPL - I think fans think they are leaving the EPL to play Europe super league only - just a more lucrative Champions League which guarantees the richer clubs always have guaranteed income - rather than stressing if they make the top 4 !

They need to be kicked out for this very reason

easty
19-04-2021, 08:16 AM
They need to be kicked out for this very reason

Even if the leagues threatened to kick out the new euro super league clubs, those clubs will know they’d never go through with it.

The English Premiership is all about money, they’re not going to throw out all the clubs that the sponsors are interested in.

mayo hibee
19-04-2021, 08:16 AM
I think the mistake people make is to assume that your average season ticket holder at these clubs matters in the slightest. The average Joe 55 year old taxi driver from Manchester that has been a City season ticket holder for 30 years mattered when they were in the third division, but once Abu Dhabi bought the club he became irrelevant. They could afford to just fly in social media influencers from around the world to fill any empty seats and post propaganda about how amazing the atmosphere and football is if they wanted to.

What will decide this is whether they get buy in from TV subscribers and, following on from that, advertisers. Nothing else matters really. I suspect this is probably a leap too far too soon and they'll end up doing a deal with UEFA that guarantees certain clubs annual access to The Champions League based on club rankings or similar with just one or two places left open from teams outside the big 5 leagues. This proposal is what we're looking at eventually but we might be a few TV negotiation rounds away from it becoming a reality just yet.

Gatecrasher
19-04-2021, 08:18 AM
The idea of the Atlantic League was to group teams from weaker leagues into a single league to try to close the gap a bit on the major European leagues and level the playing field at least a little bit. This super league thing is just the richest of the rich trying to make themselves even richer.

Regardless of personal views on the Atlantic League I'm surprised anyone is even trying to make the comparison to be honest.

The Atlantic league idea is an attempt by big clubs in small countries to bridge the financial gap so they can compete with clubs from the big countries.

The Super league is an attempt by big clubs in big countries to create a permanent gap to everyone else so they only have to compete with each other.

We would be doing to Scotland what these teams are doing to their own leagues. That's why I don't understand the leniency towards the Atlantic League m

DH1875
19-04-2021, 08:22 AM

What's the difference with rangers and celtic leaving our league. A lot of people on here will tell you that's a great thing and that it would be great for us and Scottish football. Are fans of clubs like Villa, Leeds and Newcastle not excited about the chance to win the EPL and a level playing field.
English football will survive. You only need to look at the championship down there to see that. Where I would be concerned is if I was a fan of a mid table Spanish or Italian team.

19-04-2021, 08:22 AM
It wouldn't happen but thevother clubs in England, Italy and Spain should have a zoom call and agree to refuse to play against any of the Dirty Dozen in any competition. Force the domestic associations to expel them.

easty
19-04-2021, 08:24 AM
What's the difference with rangers and celtic leaving our league. A lot of people on here will tell you that's a great thing and that it would be great for us and Scottish football. Are fans of clubs like Villa, Leeds and Newcastle not excited about the chance to win the EPL and a level playing field.
English football will survive. You only need to look at the championship down there to see that. Where I would be concerned is if I was a fan of a mid table Spanish or Italian team.

The teams aren’t leaving their domestic leagues

DH1875
19-04-2021, 08:27 AM

Are they not :confused:

easty
19-04-2021, 08:28 AM

I don’t think so. Isn’t this just to replace the Champions League?

Andy74
19-04-2021, 08:31 AM

No, it is a midweek competition instead of the Champions League - which was by and large a pretty closed shop at the top end anyway.

04Sauzee
19-04-2021, 08:31 AM

Their intention is that this will be a midweek competition and they will still be in their demestic leagues. They will no longer be part of the UEFA competitions

19-04-2021, 08:35 AM
Assuming this goes ahead as planned and the Champions League continued with the same qualifying criteria but with the Super League teams excluded, 10th place in the EPL could qualify for the Champions League.

JXM73
19-04-2021, 08:38 AM
Most clubs have left ECA and stood down from roles at uefa.

Brummie_Hibs
19-04-2021, 08:39 AM
I think the mistake people make is to assume that your average season ticket holder at these clubs matters in the slightest. The average Joe 55 year old taxi driver from Manchester that has been a City season ticket holder for 30 years mattered when they were in the third division, but once Abu Dhabi bought the club he became irrelevant. They could afford to just fly in social media influencers from around the world to fill any empty seats and post propaganda about how amazing the atmosphere and football is if they wanted to.

Spot on.

It's when Joe's £550 season ticket seat could be sold for £250 per game to wealthy Korean tourists on a Super League package holiday.

Keith_M
19-04-2021, 08:45 AM
No, it is a midweek competition instead of the Champions League - which was by and large a pretty closed shop at the top end anyway.

Yeah, if you look at the semi-finalists every year, it's amazing how small a group of clubs that's been over the last 10-15 years

easty
19-04-2021, 08:47 AM
Assuming this goes ahead as planned and the Champions League continued with the same qualifying criteria but with the Super League teams excluded, 10th place in the EPL could qualify for the Champions League.

They’ll probably have to rethink that champions league theme tune.

Keith_M
19-04-2021, 08:49 AM
They’ll probably have to rethink that champions league theme tune.

And the name of the competition would be even more stupid.

danhibees1875
19-04-2021, 08:50 AM
I'm clearly missing something here as I don't really get what the issue is?

Initially I assumed these clubs were leaving their domestic leagues in order to start a new league, something akin to a master league you'd set up on the PlayStation - but it's just a midweek competition similar to the champions league.

I don't really see how it changes much. :dunno:

The champions league has been edging closer and closer to being a closed off group of teams for ages now, this has just taken it an extra step on from where Uefa have been going themselves. The money driven and elitist priorities of uefa have seen to that by the way they structure these tournaments with qualifying, seeding, and coefficients along with the excessive prize money on offer. They've built the environment where the European competitions, even simply qualifying for them, are more important than domestic duties for these teams.
The same clubs have been reaching the later stages repeatedly, buoyed by the finances of getting there previously or by unsustainable financial backing that uefa turn a blind eye to. They're just upset someone else has came in and used the same tactics they've been using for years against them.

This just feels like another step change rather than a seismic shift in the way elite football cater for themselves.

Not that it makes it any nicer, I'm not defending the decision - just not sure it's anything other than a bit more of the same at the moment.

Callum_62
19-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Initially I assumed these clubs were leaving their domestic leagues in order to start a new league, something akin to a master league you'd set up on the PlayStation - but it's just a midweek competition similar to the champions league.

The champions league has been edging closer and closer to being a closed off group of teams for ages now, this has just taken it an extra step on from where Uefa have been going themselves. The money driven and elitist priorities of uefa have seen to that by the way they structure these tournaments with qualifying, seeding, and coefficients along with the excessive prize money on offer. They've built the environment where the European competitions, even simply qualifying for them, are more important than domestic duties for these teams.
The same clubs have been reaching the later stages repeatedly, buoyed by the finances of getting there previously or by unsustainable financial backing that uefa turn a blind eye to. They're just upset someone else has came in and used the same tactics they've been using for years against them.

This just feels like another step change rather than a seismic shift in the way elite football cater for themselves.

Not that it makes it any nicer, I'm not defending the decision - just not sure it's anything other than a bit more of the same at the moment.It's not nearly the same if the 'Founding clubs' are firstly given 350 million each and guarenteed entry every year

They could all finish outwith top 4 and still be automatically given entry

19-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Not that it makes it any nicer, I'm not defending the decision - just not sure it's anything other than a bit more of the same at the moment.

The issue is because it's about the big teams shafting everyone else to line their own pockets. There will be a knock on effect that will impact all other clubs.

Bristolhibby
19-04-2021, 08:55 AM

Indeed and the 50+1% genuine fan ownership will put a stop to this.

(Genuine fan ownership not pretendy Hearts fan ownership).

J

Andy74
19-04-2021, 08:58 AM

I think the main argument against is that rightly or wrongly the Champions League is now seen as the pinnacle and where the clubs are all trying to get to. This proposal would now stop the likes of Leicester, Everton, whoever from ever getting there.

In practice it was already a pretty self perpetuating competition with the added protection for bigger clubs of getting a good crack at the Europa League if you failed.

I'm assuming the expectation is that UEFA would still run its own competition that you could qualify for but would obviously not be seen in the same light. Were Leicester or Everton ever going to reach the final stages anyway? Doubt it but I suppose it was technically open to them even if it was financially rigged against them.

green day
19-04-2021, 08:59 AM
And the name of the competition would be even more stupid.

Interstellar Galacticos League of Champion level dobbers..........

HibeeHibernian4
19-04-2021, 08:59 AM
Bring it on, hope Rangers and Celtic get to join and the rest of us can get on with our lives. The Champions League doesn't interest me in the slightest so I can't see me taking any interest in a super league.

:agree:

A competitive Scottish league where it's £20 maximum to enter a ground with the prestige and history kept intact. What's not to like?

BroxburnHibee
19-04-2021, 09:04 AM

Arsenal currently 9th in their league and scraping a draw against Fulham are now guaranteed an equivalent of a CL space with no qualification needed and given access to billions of pounds prizemoney, shafting clubs in their own league who are miles ahead of them at the moment.

Thats the problem with it in my opinion. I only use Arsenal as an example.

Brummie_Hibs
19-04-2021, 09:11 AM
https://youtu.be/RPSoD5ruVhY

Surely this is a sign that Hibs are going to be invited?

Yorkshire HFC
19-04-2021, 09:12 AM
Spot on.

It's when Joe's £550 season ticket seat could be sold for £250 per game to wealthy Korean tourists on a Super League package holiday.

There's a big tv market in USA, middle east, China, India etc. - that's what it's about.

By the way - our cup game is at 5pm on a Saturday on a subscription tv channel - while Hibs take the tv money, I bet Tom Hart and Eddie Turnbull wouldn't be happy about it. But we're too far down the line now - the Super League is just the logical follow on from football selling out to the tv companies 20 years ago. We've been warned for years that overseas owners won't look after the traditional fan base...................

danhibees1875
19-04-2021, 09:14 AM
It's not nearly the same if the 'Founding clubs' are firstly given 350 million each and guarenteed entry every year

They could all finish outwith top 4 and still be automatically given entry

Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous. But it's just the direction of travel Uefa have been taking the game in IMO.

The issue is because it's about the big teams shafting everyone else to line their own pockets. There will be a knock on effect that will impact all other clubs.

Agreed. It's been that way for a while though. There's maybe been a few more token gestures by way of solidarity payments that could be lost now but the "elite" only looking out for themselves doesn't surprise me much.

I think the main argument against is that rightly or wrongly the Champions League is now seen as the pinnacle and where the clubs are all trying to get to. This proposal would now stop the likes of Leicester, Everton, whoever from ever getting there.

In practice it was already a pretty self perpetuating competition with the added protection for bigger clubs of getting a good crack at the Europa League if you failed.

I'm assuming the expectation is that UEFA would still run its own competition that you could qualify for but would obviously not be seen in the same light. Were Leicester or Everton ever going to reach the final stages anyway? Doubt it but I suppose it was technically open to them even if it was financially rigged against them.

Don't disagree with any of that. It's basically the champions league is now the Europa, the Europa is now the conference, and the conference is now a 4th tier of European competition.

I agree it's a fundamental issue that clubs can't qualify for what is now the "top tier" - but that was already so limited and difficult as it was that it wasn't ever meant to be the case that teams could merely qualify for the big stage without some serious endevour and fortune, and it was always getting harder and harder.

Uefa have already made it so the top 4 clubs from the top 4 leagues qualify directly into the champions league group stages - from there they are seeded to ensure favourable draws. The money from that makes it more than likely they'll also end up in the top 4 of their domestic league again and the cycle starts over, each loop of the cycle gets them richer and consolidates their position and makes it harder for any other team to break through into the tournament.

Uefa wanted this, they just didn't want someone else to do it.

BroxburnHibee
19-04-2021, 09:17 AM
AC Milan:
No league title since 2011.

Inter:
No league title since 2010.

Juventus:
4th in Serie A.

Atletico:
No league title since 2014.

Arsenal:
No league title since 2004.

Chelsea:
5th in the PL.

Man Utd:
No league title since 2013.

Spurs :tee hee:

danhibees1875
19-04-2021, 09:19 AM
Arsenal currently 9th in their league and scraping a draw against Fulham are now guaranteed an equivalent of a CL space with no qualification needed and given access to billions of pounds prizemoney, shafting clubs in their own league who are miles ahead of them at the moment.

Thats the problem with it in my opinion. I only use Arsenal as an example.

I agree it's ridiculous. :agree:

JXM73
19-04-2021, 09:27 AM
Jose morinho sacked at spuds....

Magpie
19-04-2021, 09:31 AM
Jose morinho sacked at spuds....

Less than a week before a cup final. My guess is that he was against the Super League.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2021, 09:33 AM
AC Milan:

Inter:

Juventus:
4th in Serie A.

Atletico:

Arsenal:

Chelsea:
5th in the PL.

Man Utd:

They are still obviously the biggest clubs, though. Inter and Atletico are on to win titles this year, Chelsea have won a bucket load of trophies over the last 15 years, Arsenal consistantly a top 3/4 club in England since they were formed, AC Milan a historical powerhouse, Man United obviously massive.

The issue isn't the clubs that have been picked, they are all obviously choices, its the idea itself. People seriously cant waste their time joking and memeing about the clubs and not protesting the idea itself. The clubs are only serving themselves, as all businesses do. It must be made clear there will be consequences, both from fans and football authorities for doing it.

Diclonius
19-04-2021, 09:35 AM
AC Milan:

Inter:

Juventus:
4th in Serie A.

Atletico:

Arsenal:

Chelsea:
5th in the PL.

Man Utd:

Why do you think they want guaranteed income?

GreenCastle
19-04-2021, 09:37 AM
Less than a week before a cup final. My guess is that he was against the Super League.

He probably would have been sacked ages ago if he didn’t get them to a cup final.

At least give him the final especially with his record of trophies.

Never should have sacked Pochettino.

JeMeSouviens
19-04-2021, 09:38 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous. But it's just the direction of travel Uefa have been taking the game in IMO.

Agreed. It's been that way for a while though. There's maybe been a few more token gestures by way of solidarity payments that could be lost now but the "elite" only looking out for themselves doesn't surprise me much.

Don't disagree with any of that. It's basically the champions league is now the Europa, the Europa is now the conference, and the conference is now a 4th tier of European competition.

I agree it's a fundamental issue that clubs can't qualify for what is now the "top tier" - but that was already so limited and difficult as it was that it wasn't ever meant to be the case that teams could merely qualify for the big stage without some serious endevour and fortune, and it was always getting harder and harder.

Uefa have already made it so the top 4 clubs from the top 4 leagues qualify directly into the champions league group stages - from there they are seeded to ensure favourable draws. The money from that makes it more than likely they'll also end up in the top 4 of their domestic league again and the cycle starts over, each loop of the cycle gets them richer and consolidates their position and makes it harder for any other team to break through into the tournament.

Uefa wanted this, they just didn't want someone else to do it.

I don't think that's entrirely fair on UEFA. The big clubs have pushed in this direction and threatened breakaway multiple times and each time UEFA have compromised and made the Champs League format more to their liking. I think that model of clubs threaten->UEFA concedes a bit more has finally reached breaking point.

AgentDaleCooper
19-04-2021, 09:40 AM
The people on here basically saying "well it's crap, but inevitable"...this is what you get with capitalism. People don't matter, only their wallets matter. It doesn't matter where those wallets are, or who they belong to. It started with the EC becoming the CL, the EPL breaking away from the football league. Teams like ours will continue to be tied to their communities, but within a broken system, glass ceiling firmly and in place and immovable. This step is a mere formalisation, to make sure there's no more anomalies like leicester. The people speaking out about it like Neville...he makes good points based on a foundation of utter hypocrisy. Millionaires angry at billionaires.

Magpie
19-04-2021, 09:40 AM
He probably would have been sacked ages ago if he didn’t get them to a cup final.

At least give him the final especially with his record of trophies.

Never should have sacked Pochettino.

Levy is previously known for having a replacement lined up to come straight in too. The fact they have placed the academy manager as caretaker, sacked Mourinho on the week of a cup final, disrupting the team with only a few games of the season left suggests that there was a fall out over the Super League. I think this might just be the beginning of a fall out amongst many of the squads involved.

Lendo
19-04-2021, 09:41 AM
https://youtu.be/RPSoD5ruVhY

Surely this is a sign that Hibs are going to be invited?

What derby game was that?!

JeMeSouviens
19-04-2021, 09:44 AM

If you are a Hibs fan it makes next to no difference. Up until the end of the 1980s, we could just about imagine a path to being among the best in Europe. After all, Dundee United and Aberdeen had both just done it. That is long gone for us, but it's not if you are a club in one of the big leagues. If you are, say, a Norwich fan, there's really no reason why your team couldn't be the next Leicester and push up to a CL place. Or any Italian team could be the next Atalanta. Fans in these countries are waking up to what we've had for decades - the door being shut on the dream.

Ozyhibby
19-04-2021, 09:45 AM

The are undermining it though. They are taking away euro qualification. It’s one of its big selling points to broadcasters. ‘The battle for the top 4’. Future TV deal will reflect the fact that it is less competitive and there is nothing to play for for most of the league.

Callyballybe
19-04-2021, 09:49 AM

This is where I'm at with it. Some of the supporters down south have taken great delight in laughing at the downfall of Scottish football since we lost any credible TV deal. To see their respective 'bigger' teams looking to prioritise European football to the point where the domestic league could potentially become an afterthought is quite satisfying.

danhibees1875
19-04-2021, 09:52 AM
I don't think that's entrirely fair on UEFA. The big clubs have pushed in this direction and threatened breakaway multiple times and each time UEFA have compromised and made the Champs League format more to their liking. I think that model of clubs threaten->UEFA concedes a bit more has finally reached breaking point.

You may be right, and maybe I am being harsh on Uefa when it's more "elite sport" generally it should be aimed at. Those concessions from Uefa benefit them as well though, they weren't altruistic in their actions to limit the later stages of the CL as much as possible.

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2021, 09:52 AM

Their domestic leagues released a joint statement with UEFA yesterday, saying any clubs involved in the Super League will be emptied from their respective leagues. Huge stakes in play.

Andy74
19-04-2021, 09:53 AM
The are undermining it though. They are taking away euro qualification. It’s one of its big selling points to broadcasters. ‘The battle for the top 4’. Future TV deal will reflect the fact that it is less competitive and there is nothing to play for for most of the league.

I don’t think they are taking away European competition though - the ‘bigger’ teams just won’t be playing in it.

Ultimately the leagues, the European competitions etc are memberships. These clubs are pretty much entitled to go and start something with like minded teams who want to be members. They have to accept the implications on their ongoing membership of other things though and that is for those bodies to weight up if they could live without them and take some serious calls on that.

hibsbollah
19-04-2021, 09:54 AM
This is where I'm at with it. Some of the supporters down south have taken great delight in laughing at the downfall of Scottish football since we lost any credible TV deal. To see their respective 'bigger' teams looking to prioritise European football to the point where the domestic league could potentially become an afterthought is quite satisfying.

I think this is the equivalent of taking delight at a fire at your neighbours house, even though that fire is going to consume your house too, because you had a smaller fire at your house a while back.

AgentDaleCooper
19-04-2021, 09:54 AM
I think this is the equivalent of taking delight at a fire at your neighbours house, even though that fire is going to consume your house too, because you had a smaller fire at your house a while back.

Exactly

Billy Whizz
19-04-2021, 10:10 AM
I’m sure I read somewhere on thread, someone said this won’t affect Hibs
If this goes ahead, what would happen to the existing European competitions?
Surely they won’t run with all 3?

Callyballybe
19-04-2021, 10:12 AM

I think that's a significant exaggeration. If someone has laughed at the financial demise of my football team/league, and then their team goes onto experience something similar due to a drive for more money, I'm not going to deny a sense of schadenfreude. If their private property is up in flames, and something similar happened to me before. I'm certainly not deriving glee from their situation.

I also think it's simply wrong, as I don't think Hibs will be overly affected by this - Of which I could be wrong admittedly - But I'm not convinced we will be.

Hibs90
19-04-2021, 10:13 AM
Real Betis have jumped themselves from 6th to 3rd on their website after deleting breakaway clubs from La Liga table.

19-04-2021, 10:16 AM
Watching elite football eat itself is pretty hilarious tbh

19-04-2021, 10:18 AM
Real Betis have jumped themselves from 6th to 3rd on their website after deleting breakaway clubs from La Liga table.

😂 That's what we everyone should do. Refuse to recognise their existence.

matty_f
19-04-2021, 10:19 AM

The difference is that these clubs aren’t looking to leave their domestic leagues. They’re going to get super rich (more super rich) and so will completely dominate their domestic leagues.

If Rangers and Celtic left Scottish football, the rest of us are on a pretty even playing field where the gap between the richest and poorest top Flight teams is big but not overwhelming.

jacomo
19-04-2021, 10:19 AM
Yeah I can't get too excited about hating this either. The game changed a long time ago at the top and this is just a continuation. The Champions League had become nothing like the European cup of old and was largely a closed shop with new proposals set to make that worse anyway.

It’s not a continuation at all but a decisive, once and for all attempt by the biggest clubs to entrench their position forever.

The EPL, Champions League etc were all about a money grab for the largest clubs too, but at least left the door open for other clubs to get involved through promotion or sporting merit.

This is more akin to a closed shop. Don’t dismiss it as more of the same.

Since90+2
19-04-2021, 10:21 AM
The difference is that these clubs aren’t looking to leave their domestic leagues. They’re going to get super rich (more super rich) and so will completely dominate their domestic leagues.

If Rangers and Celtic left Scottish football, the rest of us are on a pretty even playing field where the gap between the richest and poorest top Flight teams is big but not overwhelming.

Yip. Cake and eat it springs to mind.

jacomo
19-04-2021, 10:22 AM
I’m sure I read somewhere on thread, someone said this won’t affect Hibs
If this goes ahead, what would happen to the existing European competitions?
Surely they won’t run with all 3?

Of course it will affect Hibs. This new league will see Edinburgh as a consumer market just like other marketing ‘territories’.

If you want your kids or grand kids to grow up Real Madrid fans, bash on. If you want Hibs to still have a hope of drawing a significant local fanbase, we need to resist.

Diclonius
19-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Hope the PL grow some balls and expel all six clubs from the top division. Same with La Liga and Serie A, though unlikely as especially in the former Madrid/Barca basically run the league.

Andy74
19-04-2021, 10:33 AM
Of course it will affect Hibs. This new league will see Edinburgh as a consumer market just like other marketing ‘territories’.

If you want your kids or grand kids to grow up Real Madrid fans, bash on. If you want Hibs to still have a hope of drawing a significant local fanbase, we need to resist.

Don’t see that at all.

Real Madrid are already pretty much ever present in the Champions League. I’m not sure why replacing that competition with a closed shop one would see them taking the place of local clubs in the minds of kids?

Since90+2
19-04-2021, 10:37 AM
Hope the PL grow some balls and expel all six clubs from the top division. Same with La Liga and Serie A, though unlikely as especially in the former Madrid/Barca basically run the league.

Let's be honest, that's never going to happen in a million years. The clubs hold the power and they know it.

Lendo
19-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Boris Johnson now saying the government will intervene to stop it. Utter nonsense.

I’m pretty sure FIFA take a dim view of State involvement in footballing matters. It would make me chuckle if Westminster inadvertently got England banned from the World Cup though.

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2021, 10:42 AM
Boris Johnson now saying the government will intervene to stop it. Utter nonsense.

I’m pretty sure FIFA take a dim view of State involvement in footballing matters. It would make me chuckle if Westminster inadvertently got England banned from the World Cup though.

He doesn't want to be in the European Union but wants to control UEFA now.

Billy Whizz
19-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Don’t see that at all.

Real Madrid are already pretty much ever present in the Champions League. I’m not sure why replacing that competition with a closed shop one would see them taking the place of local clubs in the minds of kids?
Yeah but will they still run with 3 tournaments, which could hit Hibs

Phil MaGlass
19-04-2021, 10:45 AM
Might be a good thing for Scotland, the sellik and huns might be invited to a new english league set up, since the TV contracts in england finish next year and they may well be invited to spice it up.

Diclonius
19-04-2021, 10:48 AM
Is it just me or would a PL and UCL with the Big Six expelled actually be interesting for once? Anything could happen. I'd watch the **** out of that.

19-04-2021, 10:50 AM
When/if the big 6 are expelled, the remaining 14 EPL teams will now be debating the merits of a 14 team league, should they split after 3 rounds of matches? Top 6 and bottom 8 or vice versa, meaningless matches etc.

Lendo
19-04-2021, 10:52 AM
Is it just me or would a PL and UCL with the Big Six expelled actually be interesting for once? Anything could happen. I'd watch the **** out of that.

I would go out of my way to watch a CL with all of the bigger clubs telt to GTF

McSwanky
19-04-2021, 10:53 AM
Just another step away from a level playing field. Most people I know have stopped watching the Champions League these days as there's no great variety in the competition. Elite football is already a long way down the road to a closed shop already, and like someone said earlier, it looks like it's slowly eating itself.

Dan Sarf
19-04-2021, 10:55 AM
A Super League is a tremendous idea. I'm all in favour. Everyone cancels their BT contracts. The "super" teams, having spent money they won't get, go bust and tumble down through the leagues. A level playing field created for the real teams. What's not to like?

weecounty hibby
19-04-2021, 10:58 AM
Haven't watched the CL in years and this utter bull**** is even less appealing. No doubt it will appeal to the African, Far Eastern and US "fans" but not for me. Sadly that seems to where the money can be made though. Sad day for the once working class sport

Waxy
19-04-2021, 10:59 AM
Let them go. Chuck them out the leagues. They’ve lost the reality of what a football fans wants and they’ll all go back cap in hand to their league in a few years time.

I'm Spartacus
19-04-2021, 11:13 AM

With Barcas debt is this just a sham to extract money and keep a selected group of clubs alive?

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2021, 11:14 AM
Let them go. Chuck them out the leagues. They’ve lost the reality of what a football fans wants and they’ll all go back cap in hand to their league in a few years time.

I'm sure there was something in the UEFA statement yesterday about any club returning to its own domestic league after expulsion (assuming that actually happened) would have to start in the fifth tier.

Yorkshire HFC
19-04-2021, 11:15 AM
I would go out of my way to watch a CL with all of the bigger clubs telt to GTF

Hopefully we can get back to:

- European Cup - for league winners only
- Cup Winners Cup - for Cup winners only
- UEFA Cup

BILLYHIBS
19-04-2021, 11:16 AM
Greed is good

Lunch is for wimps!

:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Greed is good

Lunch is for wimps!

:greengrin

Tory election manifesto?

SaulGoodman
19-04-2021, 11:24 AM
What derby game was that?!

6-2

BILLYHIBS
19-04-2021, 11:26 AM
Tory election manifesto?

Wall Street 😃

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2021, 11:31 AM
Liverpool fan groups already voicing their disapproval and removing all of their banners and flags from Anfield

19-04-2021, 11:36 AM
Liverpool fan groups already voicing their disapproval and removing all of their banners and flags from Anfield

Good. Are you on the same side as the fan groups?

hibsbollah
19-04-2021, 11:40 AM
Just another step away from a level playing field. Most people I know have stopped watching the Champions League these days as there's no great variety in the competition. Elite football is already a long way down the road to a closed shop already, and like someone said earlier, it looks like it's slowly eating itself.

I have to be honest and say I’ve really enjoyed the champions league in recent seasons, some amazing games and amazing players, and I accept the primacy of big corporate capital in the game as ‘just the way it is’.

But in recent seasons the likes of Monaco, Ajax Lyon and Atalanta have either gone to the semi finals or if not have played some great stuff and claimed some big scalps. Without the element of shocks I just can’t imagine I’d watch a super league replacement.

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2021, 11:44 AM
Good. Are you on the same side as the fan groups?

Absolutely,.

jacomo
19-04-2021, 11:45 AM
Don’t see that at all.

As so often, to understand what’s going on, you need to follow the money.

This JP Morgan league isn’t being created so that these clubs maintain their existing fanbase and income level.

They want a bigger slice of the pie. That means taking money and support away from smaller clubs - us included. It’s naive to think otherwise.

FilipinoHibs
19-04-2021, 11:48 AM
Real Madrid, Barca and Juve all have massive debts. Chelsea and Man C running at a loss. The oil barons are being hit by the low price of oil. This reeks of an attempt by these clubs to grab a bigger share of pot to help their finances. Barely watch the CL now, no way will I watch this if it comes about. This is for the non European "new" fans. May be just a bargaining chip. The owners obviously completely unaware the uproar this would cause.

Diclonius
19-04-2021, 11:50 AM
Real Madrid, Barca and Juve all have massive debts. Chelsea and Man C running at a loss. The oil barons are being hit by the low price of oil. This reeks of an attempt by these clubs to grab a bigger share of pot to help their finances. Barely watch the CL now, no way will I watch this if it comes about. This is for the non European "new" fans. May be just a bargaining chip. The owners obviously completely unaware the uproar this would cause.

Immediate explusion from their domestic leagues, and the CL, this and the following season, would possibly put some of them out of business if this league isn't due to start till 2023. They'll have to abandon the idea.

19-04-2021, 11:54 AM
Reports filtering through of a proposed breakaway Scottish Super League featuring Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs and Brora. 😉

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2021, 12:05 PM
Leeds have changed tonight’s fixture on their twitter it now says they are playing Merseyside Reds rather than Liverpool

neil7908
19-04-2021, 12:06 PM

They don't want to leave their domestic leagues but they know that is a potential punishment for this.

That tells me they aren't too fussed about domestic football anymore. Even if they are allowed to stay, the domestic league will very quickly become like the FA Cup, or even the League Cup is currently like in England - a second or third priority.

Players will be rested for the 'big' Super League games, and the TV money will drop massively, meaning even less of a reason to pursue domestic success. I'd sure the distribution model of TV money in the EPL will change as well. In short, if this goes ahead these clubs are not going to be fussed one bit about domestic success, and certainly won't dominate. The competitive element will be ruined. Better off without them imo.

.Sean.
19-04-2021, 12:08 PM
Hopefully we can get back to:

- European Cup - for league winners only
- Cup Winners Cup - for Cup winners only
- UEFA Cup
I would love to see that happen.

The only downside I can see to this from a Hibs point of view is UEFA decided to again restructure the Champions League/ Europa and decide to do away with the Conference League.

There are still going to be some huge clubs in England - Villa, Everton, Leeds, Newcastle just for starters and there’ll be room now at the top table down there for clubs with great traditions like Forest and Sheffield Wednesday etc. As it stands now I’ve no interest in watching the Premiership chugfest and the fawning over the same six teams, it is of no relevance to me and it’s quite frankly boring but I’d be inclined to watch it if it’s freshened up and there are new clubs challenging for the league and FA Cup, as it currently is I couldn’t tell you the last time I sat and watched an English match that wasn’t an early round of the FA Cup featuring an underdog.

As for the ‘Champions’ league. Another farce. Teams who finish 4th in their leagues straight into the money and parachuted into the groups, then other countries champions having to negotiate 3 qualifying rounds, it’s an absolute joke.

There’ll still be big clubs in the Champions League, just off the top of my head England’s lot, the likes of Feyenoord and Ajax, Benfica, Marseille, Roma, Lazio, Valencia. It’ll be a far more level playing field and I’d rather watch those clubs than Chelsea v Barcelona or Juventus v Man City every season.

It’s pure greed, and done purely to suit these African and Asian supporters who’s idea of supporting a team is buying the strip every season and posting rubbish on said clubs social media posts, or the pub bore who sits in boozers in every city up and down Britain ‘supporting’ Chelsea or Liverpool and patronising other punters for following the local team. As much as I genuinely feel for the Man U or Arsenal season ticket holder from Salford or north London who follow their team all over the country every week, their clubs are now soulless franchises and I hope and pray the ESL ends in a complete and utter disaster.

Zazu62
19-04-2021, 12:08 PM
Andy Walker wants Celtic and rangers to join 😂

19-04-2021, 12:11 PM
Leeds have changed tonight’s fixture on their twitter it now says they are playing Merseyside Reds rather than Liverpool

😂 Following SJM'S suggestion.

Dr What If?
19-04-2021, 12:11 PM
FWIW I think this would be great for European football. Ridiculous money has been pumped into the big leagues and peanuts (in comparison) into the rest. Take away the big attractions from England, Spain and Italy and away goes a giant share of the cash. Currently every Hibs fan accepts we have no hope of competing with bottom of the table English Championship teams for players - that's not right. Sadly it might kill some of the big names in these leagues, going from the TV revenues of today to whatever Sky will off now will leave them bankrupt!
This is a bit like the old Rugby League v Rugby Union debate.....players will go there for the money and will be missed....at little....but the game will go on. The Super League will evolve outside of a governing body and in years to come may even look like a different sport, its masters in Asia and the US, not at its ancestral home. In a while we wont care, the likes of Man Utd will be playing a different game for a different market.
Its the natural destination given how clubs have evolved from 'sports clubs' to businesses. I fear for the teams in the leagues they leave behind....its a new opportunity for the other leagues though.

Dr What If?
19-04-2021, 12:12 PM
I don't think their directors are members of the right golf clubs

Lendo
19-04-2021, 12:19 PM
I don't think their directors are members of the right golf clubs

I’m just picturing all the directors of the ESL clubs sitting around a big boardroom table brainstorming ideas when one of them pipes up with

“You know what this new league is desperately lacking?! Seventeen century religious bigotry! Give Rangers and Celtic a call.”

hibsbollah
19-04-2021, 12:19 PM
A big reason this has been announced now is there are no fans in grounds. 90%+ fans are violently opposed, and certain fan groups would be literally dragging the top brass out of their posh seats.

.Sean.
19-04-2021, 12:22 PM
I’m just picturing all the directors of the ESL clubs sitting around a big boardroom table brainstorming ideas when one of them pipes up with

“You know what this new league is desperately lacking?! Seventeen century religious bigotry! Give Rangers and Celtic a call.”
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Bostonhibby
19-04-2021, 12:24 PM
I'm with this fan of one of the oldest clubs in the game.

A plague upon this exploitative cabal and the self annointed big 6.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210419/8415c65494eb72b47f11f9d7f87af0d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
19-04-2021, 12:29 PM
How long will it take before one of the clubs change their name based on whoever owns them? I’m thinking about some of these Middle Eastern owners rebranding the clubs and possibly relocating them. Clubs like Man City could just disappear, it happens in America. It won’t happen immediately, but a few years down the line this could be a more global league, 6 clubs from England would leave a few of them open for relocation.

CloudSquall
19-04-2021, 12:29 PM
My feelings towards this are the same as when I gave up playing FIFA and Football Manager and went back to playing Sensible Soccer and Championship Manager 01/02.

Dan Sarf
19-04-2021, 12:30 PM
Reports filtering through of a proposed breakaway Scottish Super League featuring Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs and Brora. 😉

:top marks

Newry Hibs
19-04-2021, 12:30 PM
😂 Following SJM'S suggestion.

SJM maybe not getting the big move now with comments like that. He may have to settle for a top team like West Ham after all. What's 30% of £10m?

mixumatosis
19-04-2021, 12:32 PM
"The game was definitely still about the fans when Utd were paying me £60k a week"

-G. Neville, Manchester

HibsGW
19-04-2021, 12:35 PM
"The game was definitely still about the fans when Utd were paying me £60k a week"

-G. Neville, Manchester

Completely disagree with this viewpoint to be honest. What are the players meant to do? Say just pay me 500 a week, that’ll get me by? Its the owners causing all of this. Players accepting the money offered to them is always going to happen.

SaulGoodman
19-04-2021, 12:44 PM
. What's 30% of £10m?

Do you really need to ask that? :greengrin

mixumatosis
19-04-2021, 12:45 PM
Completely disagree with this viewpoint to be honest. What are the players meant to do? Say just pay me 500 a week, that’ll get me by? Its the owners causing all of this. Players accepting the money offered to them is always going to happen.

I don't blame any player for taking what's on offer and I'm pleased Gary Neville has come out and said what he's said. But the notion that this is the point where football became divorced from what it used to be is nonsense. We passed that point long ago.

WeeRussell
19-04-2021, 12:47 PM

Yep. Don’t understand why a few are so keen to make this about Neville being a hypocrite. Every ex player and pundit working for sky sports are *****ing loaded through football, we know that. It would be disappointing if they were not using the platform they have through this employment to say the right things.

Neville is very much saying the right things in my opinion. Regardless of whether he made a lot of money playing at the top level.

Waxy
19-04-2021, 12:49 PM

We couldnt be that lucky. A spfl without them?
Could we? Please let it happen.

WeeRussell
19-04-2021, 12:49 PM
I would love to see that happen.

The only downside I can see to this from a Hibs point of view is UEFA decided to again restructure the Champions League/ Europa and decide to do away with the Conference League.

There are still going to be some huge clubs in England - Villa, Everton, Leeds, Newcastle just for starters and there’ll be room now at the top table down there for clubs with great traditions like Forest and Sheffield Wednesday etc. As it stands now I’ve no interest in watching the Premiership chugfest and the fawning over the same six teams, it is of no relevance to me and it’s quite frankly boring but I’d be inclined to watch it if it’s freshened up and there are new clubs challenging for the league and FA Cup, as it currently is I couldn’t tell you the last time I sat and watched an English match that wasn’t an early round of the FA Cup featuring an underdog.

As for the ‘Champions’ league. Another farce. Teams who finish 4th in their leagues straight into the money and parachuted into the groups, then other countries champions having to negotiate 3 qualifying rounds, it’s an absolute joke.

There’ll still be big clubs in the Champions League, just off the top of my head England’s lot, the likes of Feyenoord and Ajax, Benfica, Marseille, Roma, Lazio, Valencia. It’ll be a far more level playing field and I’d rather watch those clubs than Chelsea v Barcelona or Juventus v Man City every season.

It’s pure greed, and done purely to suit these African and Asian supporters who’s idea of supporting a team is buying the strip every season and posting rubbish on said clubs social media posts, or the pub bore who sits in boozers in every city up and down Britain ‘supporting’ Chelsea or Liverpool and patronising other punters for following the local team. As much as I genuinely feel for the Man U or Arsenal season ticket holder from Salford or north London who follow their team all over the country every week, their clubs are now soulless franchises and I hope and pray the ESL ends in a complete and utter disaster.

A lot of good points mate. Agree with vast majority but I fear the implications for Hibs in long term may be more than what you’ve stated above, if this shambles were to go ahead.

HibsGW
19-04-2021, 12:52 PM
Yep. Don’t understand why a few are so keen to make this about Neville being a hypocrite. Every ex player and pundit working for sky sports are *****ing loaded through football, we know that. It would be disappointing if they were not using the platform they have through this employment to say the right things.

Neville is very much saying the right things in my opinion. Regardless of whether he made a lot of money playing at the top level.

Exactly, Gary Neville was bang on in what he said and there was nothing hypocritical about it. This type of logic just suggests that all footballers shouldn’t say anything about it, which is exactly how we let the game be ruined.

ScottB
19-04-2021, 12:53 PM
Just let them go for it. The various reports seem to suggest City and Chelsea aren’t fully onboard, the German clubs have said no, the French are currently saying no, so call their bluff. The 10 or 12 can join their super league, borrow their billions from JP Morgan and see how it goes. Would be hilarious if after a few years of revenue below expectations, the bank calls the debt in and those clubs end up broken, ruined and limping back to their home countries.

Meantime, the rest of us carry on as normal. Champions Leagues being fought over by Ajax, Dortmund and co. Genuine title fights in England, Spain and Italy. Sounds fine to me.

Diclonius
19-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Just let them go for it. The various reports seem to suggest City and Chelsea aren’t fully onboard, the German clubs have said no, the French are currently saying no, so call their bluff. The 10 or 12 can join their super league, borrow their billions from JP Morgan and see how it goes. Would be hilarious if after a few years of revenue below expectations, the bank calls the debt in and those clubs end up broken, ruined and limping back to their home countries.

Meantime, the rest of us carry on as normal. Champions Leagues being fought over by Ajax, Dortmund and co. Genuine title fights in England, Spain and Italy. Sounds fine to me.

That sounds amazing. Do it!

19-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Don't worry folks, Doncaster is going to use his executive powers to cancel the European Super League. Get the champagne on ice.

WeeRussell
19-04-2021, 01:05 PM

Sorry if you've already posted them and I've not seen, Scouse, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts on all this as a diehard scouser?

It's fairly easy for us to say "if it was Hibs" or indeed for me to listen to one of the Liverpool 'fans' I know in my social circles. But what are your feelings on it right now? Do you already feel completely let down by the club? Do you think you would walk away if it were all to go ahead as 'proposed'?

Magpie
19-04-2021, 01:06 PM
UEFA president confirms that players of the teams involved in the closed league will be unable to participate in the World Cup and Euro’s, I assume that includes this summer’s competition.

Billy Whizz
19-04-2021, 01:07 PM
UEFA president confirms that players of the teams involved in the closed league will be unable to participate in the World Cup and Euro’s, I assume that includes this summer’s competition.

Doig at left back for Scotland then😀

worcesterhibby
19-04-2021, 01:08 PM
Do we know if this is all as a result of one of Anne Budge's Task forces ?

Fergus52
19-04-2021, 01:11 PM

Neville is a majoirty shareholder in Salford who literally bought their way to skip through several tiers of the English football pyramid.

worcesterhibby
19-04-2021, 01:13 PM
seems like this is an opportunity for a few big name footballers to become heroes. If Messi and Ronaldo in particular had any integrity, they would come out and say that they think this is an appalling idea and that they will not play for any club that is part of it. They are near the end of their careers anyway, their contracts with Bercelona and Juventus will be over by the time this new league is due to start and they have made more money than they can possibly spend and influence millions of people. If they held a joint press conference it would be huge.

hibsbollah
19-04-2021, 01:13 PM
Neville is a majoirty shareholder in Salford who literally bought their way to skip through several tiers of the English football pyramid.

There is no comparison there at all :dunno:

Sylar
19-04-2021, 01:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SigvDl14tAU

An unnamed board member's insights into these proposals. The level of contempt for the current setup is utterly nauseating.

The FA should hammer these clubs harshly and immediately.

jacomo
19-04-2021, 01:15 PM

All true, but he’s not challenging the validity of the pyramid itself.

That is a very important distinction, and also the reason why the OF attempt to get parachuted into the EPL was (rightly) met with widespread contempt.

Promotion / relegation is critical to the culture of European football imo. Do away with it and the game really is gone.

Diclonius
19-04-2021, 01:17 PM

Wonder if Robertson and Tierney will submit transfer requests.

Steven79
19-04-2021, 01:18 PM

That was a fake.

JXM73
19-04-2021, 01:19 PM
Has rangers, celtic and hearts invite gone out yet? Surely they are bigger than porto etc?

Andy74
19-04-2021, 01:19 PM
All true, but he’s not challenging the validity of the pyramid itself.

That is a very important distinction, and also the reason why the OF attempt to get parachuted into the EPL was (rightly) met with widespread contempt.

Promotion / relegation is critical to the culture of European football imo. Do away with it and the game really is gone.

The proposal has nothing to do with promotion or relegation though.

19-04-2021, 01:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SigvDl14tAU

An unnamed board member's insights into these proposals. The level of contempt for the current setup is utterly nauseating.

The FA should hammer these clubs harshly and immediately.

Hope they get kicked out.